PDA

View Full Version : More TV for the CAA in 07'

jmuroller
May 31st, 2007, 08:12 AM
HARRISONBURG – Tom Yeager considers football the big show in college athletics. And he wants to make sure his Colonial Athletic Association’s new football league gets plenty of air time on the small screen.

Yeager said Wednesday the Division I-AA conference’s 12 schools will have a greater television presence this year, their first season since abandoning the Atlantic 10 for the CAA.

"We’re in the process of finalizing everything," Yeager said by phone from his Richmond office. "It will be more. These schools will have more television exposure."

Yeager said he expects the league to strike a deal to have games televised on Comcast Cable channels again this year. He plans to announce the schedule after next week’s league meetings in Hilton Head, S.C.

Yeager has said he’d like a CAA doubleheader to be televised every Saturday during the 2007 football season. That would significantly expand the 2006 schedule. A year ago, CN8 – a Comcast channel – carried 11 games involving A-10 teams.

CN8 spokeswoman Leslie Padilla said Wednesday that no deal has yet been reached.

"We are in discussions to continue our relationship with the CAA," Padilla said..................

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=10529&CHID=3

89Hen
May 31st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Linda Bruno can't wipe Tom Yeager's arse. What probably appeared to outsiders as simply a name change like when we went from Yankee to A10, is a HUGE deal to those of us in the CAA. My dream of having all of the Hens sports in one conference has so far been better than I could have even imagined. xthumbsupx

SunCoastBlueHen
May 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Linda Bruno can't wipe Tom Yeager's arse. What probably appeared to outsiders as simply a name change like when we went from Yankee to A10, is a HUGE deal to those of us in the CAA. My dream of having all of the Hens sports in one conference has so far been better than I could have even imagined. xthumbsupx

Ditto that!!!!!

Expanded TV coverage is not only great for the schools providing better exposure for all the CAA programs, but guys like me who can't get to many games will be able to watch more via internet feed. xthumbsupx

UncleSam
May 31st, 2007, 08:30 AM
No doubt that the CAA taking over from the A10 was the best thing that could have happened for the football schools in that conference. While the A10, did little or no promotion during their entire stewardship, the CAA has already been very agressive in their promotion of football, with extensive TV coverage being in the forefront. I hear that 7 of Delaware's 11 games will be televised this year, including all 5 of their road games and I'm sure that they aren't they only CAA school that will gain additional exposure from the new TV packages. In addition there's little doubt that all the additional TV coverage will help to attract athletes to the CAA during the recruting wars. It's always helpful when you're able tell a recruit that he will be on TV, a lot, during his college playing career.

89Hen
May 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM
I hear that 7 of Delaware's 11 games will be televised this year, including all 5 of their road games
The only possible downside is that the BHF has always travelled well and I'd hate to see people stay home and watch it on TV. Last time the Hens played at W&M we brought a couple thousand fans. In the third quarter I walked over the W&M side to take some photos and was standing next to two Tribe fans and one says to the other, "look at how many people they brought down... and they're 4-5". xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2007, 09:02 AM
I applaud your love of the new commish, but after reading the article, what's to get so jacked up about?

Yeager said he expects the league to strike a deal to have games televised on Comcast Cable channels again this year. He plans to announce the schedule after next week’s league meetings in Hilton Head, S.C.

Yeager has said he’d like a CAA doubleheader to be televised every Saturday during the 2007 football season. That would significantly expand the 2006 schedule. A year ago, CN8 – a Comcast channel – carried 11 games involving A-10 teams.

CN8 spokeswoman Leslie Padilla said Wednesday that no deal has yet been reached.

Padilla said CN8 has not yet determined who would call CAA games.

While CN8 was the primary carrier for A-10 games last year, another Comcast Channel – Comcast Sports Net – could also air CAA games this season, a source said.

Next week’s conference meetings in Hilton Head, Yeager said, don’t figure to produce any earth-shattering news. Yeager said the agenda includes a lot of "mundane stuff," including approving a conference handbook.

All I'm getting out of this is a bunch of wishful thinking and unfinalized deals. "Could's" and "May's", not "Will's". The juiciest bit of information involves an unnamed source saying how Comcast Sports Net *could* have games. Some scoop. The headline may as well be, "Everything remains the same."

UncleSam
May 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM
I applaud your love of the new commish, but after reading the article, what's to get so jacked up about?

All I'm getting out of this is a bunch of wishful thinking and unfinalized deals. "Could's" and "May's", not "Will's". The juiciest bit of information involves an unnamed source saying how Comcast Sports Net *could* have games. Some scoop. The headline may as well be, "Everything remains the same."

I think you are going to be very disappointed if you expect that the CAA TV deals are just wishful thinking. From what I hear the additional CN8 TV coverage (including doubleheaders) is pretty much a done deal, but it has NOT been totally finalized as of yet, so no offical announcement has been made. Stay tuned, it's coming.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
CN8 has always done a great job, so I see no reason to doubt any future deals.

Dukie95
May 31st, 2007, 09:48 AM
No mention of MASN's plans either, even though the MASN site says they're starting CAA football in 07.

In 2007, the Colonial Athletic Association will join the MASN college football line-up

The CAA has done a fantastic job with their basketball coverage on TV, I have no reason to doubt that football will be excellent as well. I actually saw more CAA basketball than A-10 basketball last season.