PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Forecast For 49ers Football

MYTAPPY
May 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/456/story/140504.html

I wonder if these numbers are par with other schools trying to start up football? I'm sure it depends on which school.

DFW HOYA
May 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I wonder if these numbers are par with other schools trying to start up football? I'm sure it depends on which school.

Only if you're trying to start a I-A team.

$1.3 million in coaching salaries and 878,000 for addiitonal athletic department salaries outside coaches? xeyebrowx

MYTAPPY
May 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM
It would be smart for Charlotte to start off in the FCS.

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM

They may start there, like FAU, FIU, etc. But will not stay there. This should be in Other Sports...

Appstate29
May 30th, 2007, 10:11 AM
They may start there, like FAU, FIU, etc. But will not stay there. This should be in Other Sports...

They have to start in FCS. And I think they'll stay there for awhile. I used to live in Charlotte, and let me tell you, they have next to zero fan support. Go to the local Wal-Mart and you'll find much more App gear than Charlotte gear

Saint3333
May 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
IMO, it looks like whoever made that budget is trying to scare the decision makers.

89Hen
May 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
They have to start in FCS. And I think they'll stay there for awhile.
Tough to say. Aren't they C-USA? If so, I'd have to believe it may be easier for them to move to a good home in I-A than others.

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Tough to say. Aren't they C-USA? If so, I'd have to believe it may be easier for them to move to a good home in I-A than others.

Exactly - any start up from a FBS conference should assume that conference is there goal.

Appstate29
May 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM

they used to be C-USA, but they got kicked out due to NOT having football(at least thats what most figure) now they reside in the A-10 for all sports

NC Mountaineer
May 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Charlotte is no longer a member of C-USA. They joined the A-10 a couple of years ago.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
It would be smarter if UNC-Charlotte just forgot about the idea of football altogether.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM

It would be smarter if UNC-Charlotte just forgot about the idea of football altogether.

james_lawfirm
May 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Mr. C:
Why do you say that? It seemed like a good idea to me, if they can pony up the $$. Further, if they got their act together quickly, wouldn't they be a natural for the SoCon?

89Hen
May 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
they used to be C-USA, but they got kicked out due to NOT having football(at least thats what most figure) now they reside in the A-10 for all sports

Charlotte is no longer a member of C-USA. They joined the A-10 a couple of years ago.
OH, in that case I'm with Mr.C. :D

Nah, if they want to come to I-AA, I hope they succeed. If they want to go to I-A, I hope they fall on their arse. Is that wrong? :p

BigApp
May 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Go to the local Wal-Mart and you'll find much more App gear than Charlotte gear

in Charlotte?? where? which Wal-mart?

BigApp
May 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Further, if they got their act together quickly, wouldn't they be a natural for the SoCon?

they've already stated the SoCon isn't an option b/c they "don't want to lower their stature" in their other sports (namely baseball and basketball)

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM
they've already stated the SoCon isn't an option b/c they "don't want to lower their stature" in their other sports (namely baseball and basketball)

Like Davidson, Appalachian State and College of Charleston wouldn't have kicked their butts in basketball last season. Any BTW, the SoCon isn't chopped liver in baseball, either.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM
OH, in that case I'm with Mr.C. :D

Nah, if they want to come to I-AA, I hope they succeed. If they want to go to I-A, I hope they fall on their arse. Is that wrong? :p
I like the way you think. At least on this subject.
xlolx xnodx :D xcoolx

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Mr. C:
Why do you say that? It seemed like a good idea to me, if they can pony up the $$. Further, if they got their act together quickly, wouldn't they be a natural for the SoCon?

We've gone over this ground a number of times in the past. The primary problem is that UNC-Charlotte is largely a comuter school and comuter schools usually don't support football very well. I can tell you with a large degree of certainty, that UNCC will receive very little support from the Charlotte Observer and other media in the area, too. As has already been mentioned, UNCC has NO interest in the SoCon. They have delusions of grandieur down there.

Appstate29
May 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM

They might look to join football-only, the A-10 is a basketball only conference now. THe CAA has 39203 teams and the only way to generate support is to have teams from NC come to Charlotte and vice versa. We might look at 30k for App-Charlotte in Boone. But like I said earlier, I doubt it even gets this far, Charlottes Alum support isn't too good, most of their alum are Chapel Hell and State fans ( App has its share too, much to my chagrin). And BigApp, go to the walmart at the arboretum, last time i was there they had a good amt of App gear and nat'l championship gear. Still a lot less than UNC,NCSU,Duke,WFU, ECU, even USC, Clempsun, UGA, Tenn had more gear than ASU, but they only had 1 Charlotte Product, along with 1 UNCW, 1UNG, and some other local college stuff.

BigApp
May 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Like Davidson, Appalachian State and College of Charleston wouldn't have kicked their butts in basketball last season. Any BTW, the SoCon isn't chopped liver in baseball, either.

never said anything otherwise. Just re-stating the quote they gave regarding the SoCon.

Mountaineer
May 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
never said anything otherwise. Just re-stating the quote they gave regarding the SoCon.

Precisely. I've read their board quite a bit and couldn't help but chuckle about the notion they'd be owning the SoCon in a couple of years in football - then look to dump our crappy conference for the FBS. xrolleyesx

If they did come calling - all I'd offer is my middle finger. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
May 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Exactly - any start up from a FBS conference should assume that conference is there goal.

Well, not every one... xoopsx

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Well, not every one... xoopsx

Is G'town a start up? xconfusedx

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Even 250k was in the budget for a marching bandxthumbsupx .

The Cats
May 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Those budget figures are the first step in a "no" vote for football (laying the ground work) from the university administration.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM

agreed

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I wasn't refering to you. I was taking aim at the condescinding attitude that those folks from UNCC have towards ASU and the SoCon.

BigApp
May 31st, 2007, 12:33 AM
gotcha!

MplsBison
May 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM
UNCC will receive very little support from the Charlotte Observer and other media in the area

They will if they win.

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Why these consultants aim high baffles me. Ten years ago, George Mason hired a well known football consulting firm which told the school that "if GMU decides to add NCAA football, that (1) GMU not sponsor non-scholarship football in any form for any length of time; and (2) if GMU decides to add NCAA football, GMU should move directly to scholarship football." So stacked was the deck against anything other than 63 scholarships from the start that Georgetown and Towson (then in the PL) were not even cited in the study as area I-AA programs. The report gave the impression that the only schools available were in the A-10, and GMU had to start right there.

That strategy failed by one vote --one-- of the GMU trustees. With that one vote, instead of moving gradually into CAA football (where they would undoubtedly be by now), GMU is a 30,000 student university still with a club team, playing teams such as Walter Reed Medical College and "Globe Institute".

http://recsports.gmu.edu/football/schedule.htm

UNCC doesn't need to be in C-USA tomorrow. Just get it going and build up--a lesson ODU understands.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Another article about a large student body being able to support it...

STUDENT BODY OF 35,000 EXPECTED BY 2020
49ers might be ready for football
Coaches director says school is large enough
APRIL BETHEA
[email protected]

UNC Charlotte is in a good market to launch a football team, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association said Wednesday.

Grant Teaff said the size of UNCC's student body -- expected to hit 35,000 by 2020 -- is one big advantage over other schools that have added a team in recent years or might do so in the future. He also noted the university's growth as a research school and Charlotte's prominence in sports and business.

Still, Teaff repeatedly told members of the school's football feasibility committee that any decision to start a team must come after careful and deliberate planning -- and he praised members for their efforts so far.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/159418.html

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM
You don't need to be a "big" school to play football-Wake Forest went to the ACC championship on a student body of 4,300.

What you do need is commitment, and that's where Charlotte needs to step forward.

MYTAPPY
June 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM
You don't need to be a "big" school to play football-Wake Forest went to the ACC championship on a student body of 4,300.

What you do need is commitment, and that's where Charlotte needs to step forward.

True, but Wake is provate, so they have no worries when it comes to money. A larger student body would help Charlotte in the fund department.

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
True, but Wake is provate, so they have no worries when it comes to money.

This idea that all private schools are flush with money is a misnomer. A lot of private schools can be cash poor if their debt is not properly managed--most state schools don't have such debt issues.

If Wake had all the money they need, they wouldn't charge tuition. (In fact, that's actually happened before--Rice didn't charge tuition until 1966.)

http://www.ricehistoricalsociety.org/history/bolesbook_10.asp