PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network Announces QB Rankings

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

QB - Santos shooting for place with the stars
by Matt Dougherty, FCS Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Since the FCS sub-division originated in 1978, a few select players have emerged that captivated the nation throughout their career.

Steve McNair, Dave Dickenson, Adrian Peterson and Brian Westbrook all earned high accolades in the last decade and a half, and went on to successful pro careers. Jaime Martin, Tracy Ham and the legendary Jerry Rice all put their stamp on the early history of the sub-classification.

After three seasons, Ricky Santos is already in select company because of his individual and team accomplishments with the New Hampshire Wildcats. And he has a chance to eclipse all of the legends by winning a second Walter Payton Award.

Santos narrowly ...

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
What's the over under on how fast it takes umassfan to post an angry post about how Joe Flacco could even appear on the same list as a UMass player?

Oh, btw, how about that CAA - on the top 10 list 4 of them are CAA QB's. xthumbsupx

Model Citizen
May 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm sure Santos is a fine player, but Josh Johnson will be the first one taken off that list on NFL draft day. The writer took the path of least resistance.

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm sure Santos is a fine player, but Josh Johnson will be the first one taken off that list on NFL draft day. The writer took the path of least resistance.

So you're saying you've never even seen Santos play? Strong criticism in light of that fact. xrotatehx

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Sanots is amaing. I saw him in person in 2005 and on TV/Web quite a few times. Great player. He'll be in the mix with Johnson.

Model Citizen
"Johnson has lived in anonymity while playing for a non-scholarship program that rarely competes against..."

Spare me your predictable drivel, Junior. You're the one living in anonymity.

smallcollegefbfan
I have seen both. Johnson will be taken higher more than likely. Johnson has upside, too. He has 4.5 speed to go along with a 6'3 200 pound frame. He could easily be 6'3 215 by draft day. Santos is a gun slinger who I think has to get drafted as well. I could see Johnson in round 3 or 4 while Santos goes in the 4th-6th round range.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I think both Threatt and Lawson should be higher

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
"Johnson has lived in anonymity while playing for a non-scholarship program that rarely competes against..."

Spare me your predictable drivel, Junior. You're the one living in anonymity.

And yet you're the one who's critiquing his article, twice now, in a message board. Go figure.

Oh, and your original complaint that Johnson will be taken earlier in the NFL Draft - you did notice the writer made the same observation in the article, right?

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Hauck's MO is to start an experienced mature QB. The only reason Bergquist saw the field as a freshman was because our Junior QB got hurt in the 3rd game. We have two really promising Freshmen QB's but one will redshirt and one will only see starting duty if Bergquist gets hurt. Bergquist is not a top 20 QB but he is solid, knows the system, is a 60% passer, a good runner and has many weapons to go to. He'll be just fine as he showed last year by dominating #22 SDSU 36-7, a game which he accounted for 312 total yards passing and rushing with no turnovers.

EmeryZach
May 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
How bout my boy Liam at number 6. He has to play amazing this year for us to have any chance at the championship.

6. Liam Coen, Massachusetts (Jr., 6-2, 205) - With the attention focused on All-American running back Steve Baylark, Liam Coen sometimes moved to the background of media talk during the Minutemen’s run to the national championship game a year ago. But while Baylark earned the accolades, Coen’s stellar sophomore season shows that the team will be in good hands even with the star running back gone. Coen sat among the top FCS quarterbacks in passing efficiency throughout the season, and finished his sophomore campaign with 3,016 yards and 26 touchdown passes while completing 65 percent of his passes. Coen had at least one touchdown passes in 13 of his 15 games, and threw only four interceptions in the regular season to help Massachusetts to a perfect conference record. He cooled a bit down the stretch, with four interceptions and only one touchdown pass in the final two games, but Coen has an exceptional track record through two seasons. He could be called upon to do even more with Baylark gone, and appears to be up to the challenge to keep Massachusetts in the playoff and national title picture.

already123
May 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Anybody got the rest of the list??

jmuroller
May 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
James Madison - Junior Brandon Landers should be ready to take over for three- year starter and national championship winner Justin Rascati. Redshirt freshman Drew Dudzik is waiting in the wings.

Try "Rodney" Landers out for size. At least they could get his name right. Not only that JMU will have a brand new offense to unveil against UNC and Butch Davis!!

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'd say that QB's like Steve Walker, Luke Drone, and Sean Schaefer would deserve to be ranked ahead of Josh Johnson. Not because of numbers, but because those quarterbacks were consistently tested against their competition each week. Playing cupcake state, you should be able to put up big numbers like Johnson did. It is true that what Johnson did last season was rather impressive, but he didn't do it against stiff FCS competition like YSU, ISU, Towson, or NDSU did.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I'd say that QB's like Steve Walker, Luke Drone, and Sean Schaefer would deserve to be ranked ahead of Josh Johnson. Not because of numbers, but because those quarterbacks were consistently tested against their competition each week. Playing cupcake state, you should be able to put up big numbers like Johnson did. It is true that what Johnson did last season was rather impressive, but he didn't do it against stiff FCS competition like YSU, ISU, Towson, or NDSU did.
Have you seen Josh Johnson play? If you had, you would know that he is as good as advertised. Saying that he isn't as good as other players who have played tougher FCS is like saying some cat at FBS is better than some of the better FCS players, just because they don't play FBS teams. Johnson has a tremendous arm, can run probably better than any QB in FCS and has NFL size. Johnson also had a tremendous QB coach in Jim Harbaugh. Comparing Walker to him in particular is absolutely ridiculous. Walker simply doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength of Johnson and while Walker has good wheels, it would be like comparing a good college sprinter to Carl Lewis. Johnson is far more accurate, has a stronger arm and less likely to throw interceptions than Drone and also has far superior skills to Shaeffer. He is vastly better as a runner than either Schaefer or Drone. There is a reason that some NFL scouts think Johnson will as high as a third-round draft choice.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Have you seen Josh Johnson play? If you had, you would know that he is as good as advertised. Saying that he isn't as good as other players who have played tougher FCS is like saying some cat at FBS is better than some of the better FCS players, just because they don't play FBS teams. Johnson has a tremendous arm, can run probably better than any QB in FCS and has NFL size. Johnson also had a tremendous QB coach in Jim Harbaugh. Comparing Walker to him in particular is absolutely ridiculous. Walker simply doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength of Johnson and while Walker has good wheels, it would be like comparing a good college sprinter to Carl Lewis. Johnson is far more accurate, has a stronger arm and less likely to throw interceptions than Drone and also has far superior skills to Shaeffer. He is vastly better as a runner than either Schaefer or Drone. There is a reason that some NFL scouts think Johnson will as high as a third-round draft choice.

But what do you think would happen if you put Johnson on a team that was in th CAA or A10? Honestly, what do you think would happen?

Model Citizen
May 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
But what do you think would happen if you put Johnson on a team that was in th CAA or A10? Honestly, what do you think would happen?

Then maybe you would have seen him and wouldn't be asking the question. xrolleyesx

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Then maybe you would have seen him and wouldn't be asking the question. xrolleyesx

Dumb answer.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Seriously, what's with the ego?

Johnson plays in a weak league against weak opponents.

That doesn't diminish his athleticism or his potential, but it does diminish his immediate rankings. Johnson's a great QB, has a lot of potential, but he hasn't played the toughest defenses in FCS yet either.

Model Citizen
May 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Dumb answer.

No. Dumb Question.

Best QB in FCS is Best QB in FCS.

umassfan
May 29th, 2007, 11:59 PM
What's the over under on how fast it takes umassfan to post an angry post about how Joe Flacco could even appear on the same list as a UMass player?

Oh, btw, how about that CAA - on the top 10 list 4 of them are CAA QB's. xthumbsupx

Have no prob with him being on the list... just stated he wasnt the second best QB in the FCS when he wasnt one of the top 3 in the CAA.

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 12:21 AM

I looked around alittle bit and it seems as though he is rather good. But you say he has NFL size at 6'3 195......I dunno, maybe he needs to put on a few pounds.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 12:44 AM
The 195 pounds is old info. I've heard Johnson has added a bit of muscle in the off-season. He is expected to be at about 215 pounds by the time he gets drafted. If you get a chance to see him play in a TV game, or some film, you will be impressed. He has great feet and a cannon of an arm.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Any CAA team would absolutely salivate to get their hands on him. There was speculation that he might sit out a year (he still has his redshirt season left) and transfer to an FBS school, like Stanford, but he decided to stay at San Diego. I guarantee you that Johnson was getting feelers from FBS teams. The only CAA team I couldn't see him starting at would be New Hampshire, because Ricky Santos has been in that system for four years (three years as the starter) and is ahead of Johnson in terms of reading defenses and facing better athletes.

For the skeptics out there, Johnson absolutely carved up Ivy League co-champ Yale and was pretty strong against Monmouth in that NEC-PFL Bowl game. He also held his own against a very good defense from UC Davis, even though San Diego suffered its only loss there.

umassfan
May 30th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Any CAA team would absolutely salivate to get their hands on him. There was speculation that he might sit out a year (he still has his redshirt season left) and transfer to an FBS school, like Stanford, but he decided to stay at San Diego. I guarantee you that Johnson was getting feelers from FBS teams. The only CAA team I couldn't see him starting at would be New Hampshire, because Ricky Santos has been in that system for four years (three years as the starter) and is ahead of Johnson in terms of reading defenses and facing better athletes.

For the skeptics out there, Johnson absolutely carved up Ivy League co-champ Yale and was pretty strong against Monmouth in that NEC-PFL Bowl game. He also held his own against a very good defense from UC Davis, even though San Diego suffered its only loss there.

I think there are 4 teams maybe 3 that would pass on Johnson. They would be: UNH, UMASS, Towson and Delaware

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I think there are 4 teams maybe 3 that would pass on Johnson. They would be: UNH, UMASS, Towson and Delaware
You might want to bounce that thought off your friend Josh. I think he would tell you that you are crazy. Josh Johnson is superior to Coen, Schaefer and Flacco in every way, shape and form. He has Armanti Edwards-type speed in a 6-3 package (I've heard both are in the 4.5 range for 40-yard dash times) and a far stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA. That is why he is considered a first-day NFL pick in 2008 and those other guys are not considered to be high draft choices. Santos and Flacco might go late in the draft (I understand the scouts like Flacco's tools), but it is doubtful that Coen will get drafted after the 2008 season at this point. He is a great college QB, is very accurate and very efficient, but he isn't in the same league with Johnson in terms of talent. Coen doesn't have the powerhouse arm that some of the others have. He is more in the same mode as Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa and Steve Walker of North Dakota State, great leaders and very efficient in running their offenses, but lacking the same physical tools of other FCS QBs at the top of the subdivision. And I would put Schaefer, who has some durability issues, just a notch below Coen. Trust me, if you had a guy of Johnson's caliber in the CAA, he WOULD play.

umassfan
May 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM
You might want to bounce that thought off your friend Josh. I think he would tell you that you are crazy. Josh Johnson is superior to Coen, Schaefer and Flacco in every way, shape and form. He has Armanti Edwards-type speed in a 6-3 package (I've heard both are in the 4.5 range for 40-yard dash times) and a far stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA. That is why he is considered a first-day NFL pick in 2008 and those other guys are not considered to be high draft choices. Santos and Flacco might go late in the draft (I understand the scouts like Flacco's tools), but it is doubtful that Coen will get drafted after the 2008 season at this point. He is a great college QB, is very accurate and very efficient, but he isn't in the same league with Johnson in terms of talent. Coen doesn't have the powerhouse arm that some of the others have. He is more in the same mode as Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa and Steve Walker of North Dakota State, great leaders and very efficient in running their offenses, but lacking the same physical tools of other FCS QBs at the top of the subdivision. And I would put Schaefer, who has some durability issues, just a notch below Coen. Trust me, if you had a guy of Johnson's caliber in the CAA, he WOULD play.

Think what you want and I will think what I want. We are set in Amherst for the next 7 years at QB.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Think what you want and I will think what I want. We are set in Amherst for the next 7 years at QB.
We are in absolute agreement that you have one of the best QBs in FCS at UMass with Coen. I just think that most coaches and scouts would tell you that Josh Johnson is better.

umassfan
May 30th, 2007, 01:57 AM
We are in absolute agreement that you have one of the best QBs in FCS at UMass with Coen. I just think that most coaches and scouts would tell you that Josh Johnson is better.

Last time I checked... UMass isnt jumping to the NFL any time soon. :D

andy7171
May 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Durablity issues? xeyebrowx

I think that while Johnson may be the superior athlete and quarterback to several CAA QBs. I think that 2 more years of Shaefer is better than one with Johnson.

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Try "Rodney" Landers out for size. At least they could get his name right. Not only that JMU will have a brand new offense to unveil against UNC and Butch Davis!!

I think he got the name mixed up with Grambling's QB. xconfusedx

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Give it a rest already. xrolleyesx xdeadhorsex

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Durablity issues? xeyebrowx

I think that while Johnson may be the superior athlete and quarterback to several CAA QBs. I think that 2 more years of Shaefer is better than one with Johnson.
I remember Schaefer getting banged up pretty good last season. If he isn't healthy, Towson isn't nearly as effective on offense. Didn't Schaefer miss at least one start in 2006?

blackfordpu
May 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Did you not see who was at #5? If RB keeps getting better and developing I would have argue that he will be first off that list.

GannonFan
May 30th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Give it a rest already. xrolleyesx xdeadhorsex

Right Boss! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :p :p :p :p :p

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Right Boss! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :p :p :p :p :p

:D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x :p :p :p :p

andy7171
May 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I remember Schaefer getting banged up pretty good last season. If he isn't healthy, Towson isn't nearly as effective on offense. Didn't Schaefer miss at least one start in 2006?

Yeah he came down with what has been described as "The Mumps" the Friday evening before the UMass game. The back up woke up and was named the starter. Schaefer was quarentined all week, but was released the next Friday. He played OK for with no practice and being sick in bed all week against Villanova, , 35-of-45, 324 yards, 2 TD.

But you are right, without Schaefer, Towson is average at best.

lucchesicourt
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I have seen both Johnson and Santos in person and Santos is definitely the quarterback I would fear most. Johnson played okay against UCD, but did complete less than 50% of his passes. As long as he was throwing long, he looked good, but many of his short passes were way off target. Santos on the other hand, placed most of his passes where his receiver at least had a chance to catch the ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM

How about the Patriot League - 2 in the top 15? xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
May 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
How about the Patriot League - 2 in the top 15? xthumbsupx

Yes and that is 2 QB's from only 7 teams in our league. The CAA may have 4 but that is out of what 19 teams? , I cant keep track xsmiley_wix

SunCoastBlueHen
May 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM
...and a far stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA.

I have a hard time believing Johnson, or anyone else for that matter, has a "far stronger arm" than Flacco. I'll accept that he may have other tools that are superior (I have never seen him play), but have to call you on the vastly superior arm strength.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Have you seen Johnson play? That is the thing I have to keep asking people who are skeptical about Johnson. NFL scouts are very high on the type of tools that players have and no QB in FCS has better tools than Johnson. By the same token, I can tell you that they are also very aware of Mr. Flacco. He could really improve his stock with a strong senior year.

UncleSam
May 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Have you seen Johnson play? That is the thing I have to keep asking people who are skeptical about Johnson. NFL scouts are very high on the type of tools that players have and no QB in FCS has better tools than Johnson. By the same token, I can tell you that they are also very aware of Mr. Flacco. He could really improve his stock with a strong senior year.

I have seen Johnson play (TV) and I've seen Flacco both live and on TV. Johnson is certainly more athletic, but I seriously doubt that there is a QB in the FCS, including Johnson, that has a far stronger arm than Joe Flacco.

Ivytalk
May 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I saw the footnote about the 3-way race for the Harvard starting position. It's true that O'Hagan is probably favored to win it, but he was absolutely awful in Harvard's 3 conference losses -- particularly in the judgment arena. He views throwing into triple coverage as a challenge. If Chris Pizzotti had any mobility, he'd be the favorite.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I saw the footnote about the 3-way race for the Harvard starting position. It's true that O'Hagan is probably favored to win it, but he was absolutely awful in Harvard's 3 conference losses -- particularly in the judgment arena. He views throwing into triple coverage as a challenge. If Chris Pizzotti had any mobility, he'd be the favorite.

The end of the Princeton game leaps to mind - 2 INTs in the final minutes.

HensRock
May 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I think Santos has the intangibles. Not super-impressive in size or strength or speed. But the kid can flat-out play. You have to see him in action to beleive it - and even then you won't beleive some of the plays he makes. You think he got lucky, but then he does something else "lucky", and then something else. The guy is a Houdini out there. He may not be drafted as high as some others because of the physical skills and measurements taken by the "draft experts". But I'd be willing to bet if given a chance at the next level, he would have a better NFL career than any other QB in FCS.

I find it hard to beleive that Johnson would have a better arm than Flacco. If they let him open it up deep this year, you'll see what I mean.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I think Santos has the intangibles. Not super-impressive in size or strength or speed. But the kid can flat-out play. You have to see him in action to beleive it - and even then you won't beleive some of the plays he makes. You think he got lucky, but then he does something else "lucky", and then something else. The guy is a Houdini out there. He may not be drafted as high as some others because of the physical skills and measurements taken by the "draft experts". But I'd be willing to bet if given a chance at the next level, he would have a better NFL career than any other QB in FCS.

I find it hard to beleive that Johnson would have a better arm than Flacco. If they let him open it up deep this year, you'll see what I mean.

Flacco has the better arm for sure. It seems that Johnson has more upside as Flacco's arm won't get that much stronger and he really won't grow anymore. Johnson will get stronger due to putting on muscle weight. I expect Flacco to be a better pro at first but I see Johnson's upside taking over after 2-3 years in the pros. There is no reason that both of them won't be good. Santos should be very solid as well.

A sleeper in this from the FCS ranks could be Cole Stinson of Eastern Illinois. He has a major weapon in Micah Rucker at WR and his size, 6'4, 232, is prototype by NFL standards. He will be one who might surprise this year.

89Hen
May 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I expect Flacco to be a better pro at first but I see Johnson's upside taking over after 2-3 years in the pros.
I wouldn't wager on Flacco being on a pro roster after 2-3 years. So few QB's ever get a chance, I wouldn't be suprised if Johnson never gets a shot either. Please note that I'm not saying he couldn't be a great NFL QB, I'm just saying he may never get the chance to prove it. :(

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't wager on Flacco being on a pro roster after 2-3 years. So few QB's ever get a chance, I wouldn't be suprised if Johnson never gets a shot either. Please note that I'm not saying he couldn't be a great NFL QB, I'm just saying he may never get the chance to prove it. :(
Johnson is projected as a third-round draft choice right now. Third-round draft choices get plenty of opportunities to prove themselves in the NFL. The thing that the NFL likes about Johnson is his athleticism, his intelligence and the fact that he has a tremendous upside. He hasn't scratched the surface on his talent yet. Tarvaris Jackson is already starting in the NFL and he is a similarly skilled player to Johnson. But Johnson has the athletic ability to be even better than Jackson.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Johnson is projected as a third-round draft choice right now. Third-round draft choices get plenty of opportunities to prove themselves in the NFL. The thing that the NFL likes about Johnson is his athleticism, his intelligence and the fact that he has a tremendous upside. He hasn't scratched the surface on his talent yet. Tarvaris Jackson is already starting in the NFL and he is a similarly skilled player to Johnson. But Johnson has the athletic ability to be even better than Jackson.

Jackson was drafted about where I would take Johnson. It wouldn't shock me to see Johnson go as high as the mid 2nd round but it would also not be a shock to see him fall to the 4th round. If a team is able to snatch him up in the 4th they will be very fortunate.

Don't forget that Johnson's cousin was a 1st round pick for the Bills this year (Marshawn Lynch). He has some NFL bloodlines and he will be given the best of everything before the draft. The sky is the limits for him.

Appstate29
May 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think this list has it right. Johnson has lots of potential, yeah whatever. Santos is the best quarterback RIGHT NOW in FCS football. ASU was the best team last year, how many players got drafted?? Zero. Hampton was a good team last year. How many players were drafted from Hampton?? Would anyone on here (besides Hampton fans) be on here arguing that Hampton was a better team than ASU last year because they had more players drafted? Potential and Upside are good things, but as far as skill goes, they only mean so much.

andy7171
May 30th, 2007, 12:09 PM
When has NFL scouting and measurables counted for anything in college football? As it stands right now, I would rather have Santos or Edwards over Johnson. The only reason I'll give, though there are many, is because they have DONE it already at a highly competitive level of play. You can have all your NFL potential and high draft status, but you'll only be proven against the Azuza Colleges of the world.

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Sedale Threatt 11?? xlolx I'd rank Randolph higher than Threatt...

Threatt is no threat as they say in Pard land.

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM

That seems kinda stupid to me. Why would you give up a chance to get a shot at the FBS and boost your stock even more? Maybe even go up to a second rounder? Not to mention he could get a scholarship even if for only one year.xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
That seems kinda stupid to me. Why would you give up a chance to get a shot at the FBS and boost your stock even more? Maybe even go up to a second rounder? Not to mention he could get a scholarship even if for only one year.xeyebrowx

Johnson is a very loyal person. He didn't want to leave the school who gave him his first chance. He really never considered moving up and schools are not allowed to call players so I am sure that his coach didn't get in his ear about leaving. Johnson would have to spend a whole year learning another system, getting to know coaches and players, and learning a whole new school. Changing schools that far in your career is not always the best choice. Even if it is changing to go to a FBS school.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
When has NFL scouting and measurables counted for anything in college football? As it stands right now, I would rather have Santos or Edwards over Johnson. The only reason I'll give, though there are many, is because they have DONE it already at a highly competitive level of play. You can have all your NFL potential and high draft status, but you'll only be proven against the Azuza Colleges of the world.
I guess playing well against quality teams like Yale, UC Davis and Monmouth do not count for anything. Johnson may not have played against top competition every week, but he did face it in those games and played well. I never said, BTW, that I would take Johnson at this stage of his career over Santos. Armanti Edwards is still a work in progress. He is just a sophomore and is even less polished than Johnson. And as someone said earlier in this thread, Rhett Boomar is another player to consider. I've seen him play a bit and seen some film of his workouts since he has been at Sam Houston State. Boomar is another great QB.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Johnson is a very loyal person. He didn't want to leave the school who gave him his first chance. He really never considered moving up and schools are not allowed to call players so I am sure that his coach didn't get in his ear about leaving. Johnson would have to spend a whole year learning another system, getting to know coaches and players, and learning a whole new school. Changing schools that far in your career is not always the best choice. Even if it is changing to go to a FBS school.

Even though FBS schools are "not allowed" to contact student athletes at other schools, you know the practice goes on with kids like Johnson. Remember Jason Conley, the VMI basketball player who led the nation in scoring as a freshman? He ended up transferring to Missouri. I know from stuff that coaches told me that there was some very dirty stuff going on in regards to ILLEGAL recruiting of that kid. And Quinn Snyder and his dirty program at Missouri were not the only culprits.

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM

His coach did leave the school, so his incentive to stay there decreased dramatically. But it is good that he has that kind of quality to him (loyalty). Anymore it seems that football players with that kind of ability will do just about anything to better their own situation without regard to others. It is good to see one player that doesn't do that. It says much about his character (which has been a concern in all levels of football recently, professional and college level).

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
His coach did leave the school, so his incentive to stay there decreased dramatically. But it is good that he has that kind of quality to him (loyalty). Anymore it seems that football players with that kind of ability will do just about anything to better their own situation without regard to others. It is good to see one player that doesn't do that. It says much about his character (which has been a concern in all levels of football recently, professional and college level).
From what I have heard about Josh Johnson, your words describe hm to a T. I've heard nothing but good things about him from a character standpoint. The same goes for Ricky Santos, BTW, too. I've met Ricky a couple of times and met his parents also. He is a first-class kid. You won't hear anyone say a bad word about Santos.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Even though FBS schools are "not allowed" to contact student athletes at other schools, you know the practice goes on with kids like Johnson. Remember Jason Conley, the VMI basketball player who led the nation in scoring as a freshman? He ended up transferring to Missouri. I know from stuff that coaches told me that there was some very dirty stuff going on in regards to ILLEGAL recruiting of that kid. And Quinn Snyder and his dirty program at Missouri were not the only culprits.

That was a dirty situation. Harbaugh kept a lot of stuff away from Johnson. I am sure he was recruited some but he is one of those players who probably told them no from the getgo.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yes and that is 2 QB's from only 7 teams in our league. The CAA may have 4 but that is out of what 19 teams? , I cant keep track xsmiley_wix

Hmmm... 4 out of 12 in the top ten (33% of CAA) and an average ranking of 6.25

compared to

2 out of 7 in the top 15 (28% of PL), an average ranking of 12.

xrulesx I think I'll take what the CAA has to offer. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Congrats though! Here's to hoping Holy Cross has a big year in the PL! xthumbsupx (When in doubt, always choose root for the Purple Team!)

already123
May 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
johnson will def need to put on some weight before the next level....but hey, its working!

Franks Tanks
May 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hmmm... 4 out of 12 in the top ten (33% of CAA) and an average ranking of 6.25

compared to

2 out of 7 in the top 15 (28% of PL), an average ranking of 12.

xrulesx I think I'll take what the CAA has to offer. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Congrats though! Here's to hoping Holy Cross has a big year in the PL! xthumbsupx (When in doubt, always choose root for the Purple Team!)

Ok point well taken, but you cant really count G-Town so that gives us 33% as well. Dont worry just kidding LB POP DFW Hoya and the rest of the Hoya contingency

th0m
May 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hey if it's gonna be that way then we'll cancel out Rhody (kidding Cobblestone!) and Villanova (easy to cancel out, they have no fans here!). Come to think of it, the only reason Hofstra's still here is because they're still the Flying Dutchmen in my eyes, and if you aint Dutch, you aint much!

FargoBison
May 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I kind of feel bad for Johnson, he seems like a solid QB but USD has protected him so much that I don't really know what to think about him. He will go into the NFL very untested, I think that will slow his progress a bit because he will have a big learning curve to go through.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I kind of feel bad for Johnson, he seems like a solid QB but USD has protected him so much that I don't really know what to think about him. He will go into the NFL very untested, I think that will slow his progress a bit because he will have a big learning curve to go through.

As I said before, you have to give him 2-3 years to develop. You can't expect him to be pro ready as a rookie.

already123
May 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
i think the jury is still out about johnson's pro career. he does have great ability and potential however...

igo4uni
May 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Gateway QB's should be tough this year. 3 in the top 12.

blukeys
May 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have a hard time believing Johnson, or anyone else for that matter, has a "far stronger arm" than Flacco. I'll accept that he may have other tools that are superior (I have never seen him play), but have to call you on the vastly superior arm strength.

I agree 100%. Flacco's wrist snap alone is worth another 20 mph on the speed of the ball he delivers. Mr. C has not seen Flacco. Those who have seen Flacco and Santos on the same field would never say that Santos has the superior arm strength. (Santos is great in my book)

Flacco is big and strong along the lines of Peyton Manning. He throws a hard tight spiraling ball that he can get into impossible places. Unlike Santos he is not elusive. He can run straight ahead and get yards but he is not a scrambler.

I hope UD plays to his strnegths because he can be unstoppable and a much better QB than Coen. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I agree 100%. Flacco's wrist snap alone is worth another 20 mph on the speed of the ball he delivers. Mr. C has not seen Flacco. Those who have seen Flacco and Santos on the same field would never say that Santos has the superior arm strength. (Santos is great in my book)

Flacco is big and strong along the lines of Peyton Manning. He throws a hard tight spiraling ball that he can get into impossible places. Unlike Santos he is not elusive. He can run straight ahead and get yards but he is not a scrambler.

I hope UD plays to his strnegths because he can be unstoppable and a much better QB than Coen. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I have had the pleasure of seeing Flacco and I personally think he will be a great pro. His size and arm strength are ideal for the NFL. He has the ability to make all the throws. UD needs to let him show that off a ton this year.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Mr. C has seen all of the teams in the CAA, including Delaware. And that means Mr. C has seen Flacco. I will admit I've seen him less than I have Santos, Coen and Schaefer. I never said Ricky Santos had superior arm strength to anyone, even though he does have a good arm. I did say I think Santos is the top QB in FCS right now. I didn't say ANYTHING negative about Flacco, other than I thought Johnson had a better arm and was a better player. I like Coen, I like Flacco, I like Schaefer. I just like Johnson better. You would think I was UMass fan the way you Blue Hen fans are going after me on this one.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Mr. C has seen all of the teams in the CAA, including Delaware. And that means Mr. C has seen Flacco. I will admit I've seen him less than I have Santos, Coen and Schaefer. I never said Ricky Santos had superior arm strength to anyone, even though he does have a good arm. I did say I think Santos is the top QB in FCS right now. I didn't say ANYTHING negative about Flacco, other than I thought Johnson had a better arm and was a better player. I like Coen, I like Flacco, I like Schaefer. I just like Johnson better. You would think I was UMass fan the way you Blue Hen fans are going after me on this one.

Me thinks you are being a bit defensive, Mr. C. None of the Hens fans are doubting your statement about Johnson being an overall superior QB. You have only been called on your far superior arm strength comment (and called on that by non-Hen fans as well). That is all.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Me thinks you are being a bit defensive, Mr. C. None of the Hens fans are doubting your statement about Johnson being an overall superior QB. You have only been called on your far superior arm strength comment (and called on that by non-Hen fans as well). That is all.

I was looking and could not find where Mr. C said that Johnson has a stronger arm than Flacco. I did see where he said he had a stronger arm than Steve Walker and I would agree with that.

Was it in this thread or in a previous one?

SunCoastBlueHen
May 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM

I was looking and could not find where Mr. C said that Johnson has a stronger arm than Flacco. I did see where he said he had a stronger arm than Steve Walker and I would agree with that.

Was it in this thread or in a previous one?

See above

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
See above

Oh okay I see it now. Well he just said he had a stronger arm. He didn't say it was by far superior, of course it is a little implied. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it. I can see where you disagree, though.

Mr. C is highly respected on here and is considered an expert on the FCS so he surely has a reason for saying that. I say we let him explain. :D

YoUDeeMan
May 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Oh okay I see it now. Well he just said he had a stronger arm. He didn't say it was by far superior, of course it is a little implied.

SCFBFan, you might want to read that again. xnodx

Mr C. said Johnson had "a far [my bold] stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA." xeyebrowx

Regardless, Flacco has an excellent opportunity to let loose with his cannon this year. It should be a fun year for UD fans. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
SCFBFan, you might want to read that again. xnodx

Mr C. said Johnson had "a far [my bold] stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA." xeyebrowx

Regardless, Flacco has an excellent opportunity to let loose with his cannon this year. It should be a fun year for UD fans. xthumbsupx

He must have edited it or something because when I first saw it I swear he didn't have the "far" in there. Anyway, he is entitled to his opinion. Might not be right in a few people's mind but you still have to respect it. The only way to truly prove the strongest arm is at the combine with that device they use to measure velocity. I would have to say that I think Flacco has the stronger arm, not by a ton but I would give him the nod.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 12:30 AM

It's just their nature when you say something they don't like.xrolleyesx

GannonFan
May 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
It's just their nature when you say something they don't like.xrolleyesx

Hey, now don't let your hurt feelings from the smack board cross over to here - that's a pretty general statement about a pretty sizeable fanbase.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hey, now don't let your hurt feelings from the smack board cross over to here - that's a pretty general statement about a pretty sizeable fanbase.

I could care less what is said on the smackboard. But yes, it is a general statement about a fanbase (but is that whole fanbase represented on AGS?).

YoUDeeMan
May 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I could care less what is said on the smackboard. But yes, it is a general statement about a fanbase (but is that whole fanbase represented on AGS?).

Yes, we're all here.

We take turns under a few avatars organized by personalities and degrees.

That is why 89 seems so smart. "He" is really about 20,000 people who have taken statistical analysis classes and we armed them with the high speed computers. GannonFan is composed of our philosophers and history majors. Mr. Chicken is comprised of our communications majors. xlolx xnodx xlolx

HensRock
May 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
You would think I was UMass fan the way you Blue Hen fans are going after me on this one.

Oh, you're not a UMass fan?

.........Never mind.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ronbo
June 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM
Oh my God, stay tuned. A rumor has started over at eGriz that Montana is getting another drop down gun slinger with two years eligibility. xrolleyesx

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 01:08 AM
Oh my God, stay tuned. A rumor has started over at eGriz that Montana is getting another drop down gun slinger with two years eligibility. xrolleyesx

And monkeys fly out of 89's xazzx .

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ronbo
June 1st, 2007, 01:23 AM
I'm hoping it's not true because I think Cole's ready.

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
I'm hoping it's not true because I think Cole's ready.

Rumors are a dime a dozen my friend.

Mr. C
June 1st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Oh, you're not a UMass fan?

.........Never mind.

xlolx xlolx xlolx
No, I keep trying to tell people, I'm a Harvard fan. No self-respecting Harvard fan would root for the Minutemen.

Now Liam O'Hagen, there is a great QB for you.

Go Crimson.

SoCon48
June 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM

1. Good point. Coen is pretty good. After all he was second best quarterback in the game last December 15 in 'Nooga.
2. 7 years? Down in the south we wait until the eggs hatch before we count the chickens.xcoffeex

umassfan
June 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM
1. Good point. Coen is pretty good. After all he was second best quarterback in the game last December 15 in 'Nooga.
2. 7 years? Down in the south we wait until the eggs hatch before we count the chickens.xcoffeex

Check out some video of the kid we have coming in as a freshman... :D

saint0917
June 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM
No, I keep trying to tell people, I'm a Harvard fan. No self-respecting Harvard fan would root for the Minutemen.

Go Crimson.

HEY, that's not nice. xnonox :p ;) xasswhipx , And I like Harvard too. xthumbsupx

youwouldno
June 1st, 2007, 06:33 AM
Check out some video of the kid we have coming in as a freshman... :D

You mean the one not even listed by rivals or scout.com?

PantherRob82
June 1st, 2007, 07:28 AM
You mean the one not even listed by rivals or scout.com?

like rivals or scout pay attention to a kid who commits to an FCS school?

One of our basketball players went from a top recruit to almost unlisted once he comitted.

HensRock
June 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
like rivals or scout pay attention to a kid who commits to an FCS school?

One of our basketball players went from a top recruit to almost unlisted once he comitted.

HAHA. I just have to laugh because this is SO true. You can have a 3-star football player drop to a 1 star or even NR once he verbals to an FCS school.

Ronbo
June 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Rumors are a dime a dozen my friend.

Problem on this one is the guy that reported it is very reliable with a good friend that's been on the team for 3 years. He prides himself in only posting if it's pretty reliable info.

Mr. C
June 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
HEY, that's not nice. xnonox :p ;) xasswhipx , And I like Harvard too. xthumbsupx
Psst Saint, it was a joke. Those gullible Delaware fans will believe just about anything. xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix ;)

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Problem on this one is the guy that reported it is very reliable with a good friend that's been on the team for 3 years. He prides himself in only posting if it's pretty reliable info.

That's all good and well, but that doesn't change my mind. A "reliable source" told me some things last season, and none of them was true. Until you see it for real, don't put too much stock in this stuff.

GaSouthern
June 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Mr C are you pissed about El Cid's QB being ranked so low?

Mr. C
June 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
I would have ranked Lawson higher. You might have a chance if Lawson was playing for the Eagles this year.

GaSouthern
June 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Did we have a chance taking Appy into overtime, guess not, 2 rings is just TOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for GSU xnonono2x

Ronbo
June 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM
That's all good and well, but that doesn't change my mind. A "reliable source" told me some things last season, and none of them was true. Until you see it for real, don't put too much stock in this stuff.

Now another guy is saying he heard it's Cole Morgan from Washington State. He orginally verballed to the Griz back in 2003 then backed out when he recieved the WSU offer. He's never made it above 3rd string on a WSU QB roster that doesn't have any real studs, so he hasn't proven much. He would most likely just provide a good backup.

The funny thing is that the schollie that Morgan turned down went to Cole Bergquist.

I said back then when Morgan backed out and I'll say it again. Why do these boderline kids go sit on the bench in FBS when they can play in FCS?

Mr. C
June 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
The funny thing is that the schollie that Morgan turned down went to Cole Bergquist.

I said back then when Morgan backed out and I'll say it again. Why do these boderline kids go sit on the bench in FBS when they can play in FCS?

Amen

CopperCat
June 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Now another guy is saying he heard it's Cole Morgan from Washington State. He orginally verballed to the Griz back in 2003 then backed out when he recieved the WSU offer. He's never made it above 3rd string on a WSU QB roster that doesn't have any real studs, so he hasn't proven much. He would most likely just provide a good backup.

One word can explain this: ego. And Coach Hauck I'm sure will NOT put up with egos on his team. He really does run a good ship over there (even if people don't like his personality).

Ronbo
June 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
And it is partly the fault of the recruiting Coaches also that fill the kids head with visions of granduer even though they know the kid would be lucky to make second or third string at their level.xnonono2x

already123
June 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
One word can explain this: ego. And Coach Hauck I'm sure will NOT put up with egos on his team. He really does run a good ship over there (even if people don't like his personality).

I dont like the griz but he is right...he has things running very well over there

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
After reading this thread from a few years ago I can't believe I thought at one time that Santos would get drafted. After seeing him heavily his senior year I realized he would be 50/50 to get in a camp and had no shot of getting drafted.

Anyone surprised by how these QB rankings turned out? It is always interesting to go back and look how accurate these rankings are now that we know what we now know.

Here is the correct link as the one in my first post does not work for some reason.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/dougherty_archive/extrapoint_052907.htm

Flacco should have been higher and Santos probably should have been just a tad lower. We still have AE, Dominic Randolph, and Bradley George still in FCS and all 3 could be in the top 20 when Coulson puts his rankings out.

Dougherty took took criticism by some for having Bomar too high and at the time it probably was but that did turn out to be a good prediction.

phillyAPP
May 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM
After reading this thread from a few years ago I can't believe I thought at one time that Santos would get drafted. After seeing him heavily his senior year I realized he would be 50/50 to get in a camp and had no shot of getting drafted.

Anyone surprised by how these QB rankings turned out? It is always interesting to go back and look how accurate these rankings are now that we know what we now know.

Here is the correct link as the one in my first post does not work for some reason.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/dougherty_archive/extrapoint_052907.htm

Flacco should have been higher and Santos probably should have been just a tad lower. We still have AE, Dominic Randolph, and Bradley George still in FCS and all 3 could be in the top 20 when Coulson puts his rankings out.

Dougherty took took criticism by some for having Bomar too high and at the time it probably was but that did turn out to be a good prediction.

Good idea to bring back some older thoughts. Matt did an excellent job !!!

Native
May 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Ditto! Adds perspective and reminds us that we are all human.

blueballs
May 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM

If one thinks leaving the eventual Payton Award winner off the list entirely is a good job...xwhistlex

93henfan
May 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM
If one thinks leaving the eventual Payton Award winner off the list entirely is a good job...xwhistlex

And you have to love this gem:

Appalachian State - Edwards has the potential to be a memorable player in FCS history

Hindsight is hilarious sometimes.

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM

xsmiley_wix Good point.

Wasn't GSU secretive about how he would be used though? I thought Mr. C once told me that the coaches and SIDs at GSU never gave out their plan and it obviously worked big time! xthumbsupx

jmufan999
May 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
"James Madison - Junior Brandon Landers should be ready to take over for three- year starter and national championship winner Justin Rascati. Redshirt freshman Drew Dudzik is waiting in the wings."

good ol' Brandon Landers. once again, Dave Coulson: THE source for accurate FCS info.

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
"James Madison - Junior Brandon Landers should be ready to take over for three- year starter and national championship winner Justin Rascati. Redshirt freshman Drew Dudzik is waiting in the wings."

good ol' Brandon Landers. once again, Dave Coulson: THE source for accurate FCS info.

Maybe his middle name is Brandon? :D

blueballs
May 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
xsmiley_wix Good point.

Wasn't GSU secretive about how he would be used though? I thought Mr. C once told me that the coaches and SIDs at GSU never gave out their plan and it obviously worked big time! xthumbsupx

Correct, and so was Mr. C at the time... there were a lot of rumors swirling around fall camp that year about Foster being moved back to QB, including eyewitness accounts all over GSUFANS.COM, but the staff did indeed keep it as well guarded a secret as could be expected.