PDA

View Full Version : CSN: FCS Game of the Week Results

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Not too bad...a bit of AppSt with three AppSt games. Two NDSU and two ILLST games. UNI also makes two appearances on the list.

2007 FCS Game of the Week Survey Final Results
College Sporting News
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85650

2007 FCS Game of the Week Winners

Week 1: Portland State @ McNeese State
Week 2: New Hampshire @ James Madison
Week 3: Northern Iowa @ South Dakota State
Week 4: Appalachian State @ Wofford
Week 5: Northern Iowa @ Illinois State
Week 6: Youngstown State @ Southern Illinois
Week 7: Cal Poly @ UC Davis
Week 8: Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State
Week 9: Appalachian State @ Furman
Week 10: Illinois State @ North Dakota State
Week 11: North Dakota State @ Cal Poly
Week 12: Montana @ Montana State

GAME OF THE YEAR: Montana @ Montana State

DETAIL OF THE HIGH FIVE GAMES EACH WEEK:
(rank, pct. of vote, game)

read more: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85650

NDSUFREAK
May 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I like it. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Where's the "East Coast Bias" now? Not a single game east of central Virginia.

DunkandDukin
May 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I guess that works. Not so sure about App @ Wofford, but on the surface it looks like a kinda thin week. A little App heavy but that's to be expected til someone knocks them off.

And game of the year gets a whopping 13%? Wow, is it just me or there don't really seem to be all that many REALLY compelling games week in week out? xconfusedx

BeauFoster
May 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I guess that works. Not so sure about App @ Wofford, but on the surface it looks like a kinda thin week. A little App heavy but that's to be expected til someone knocks them off.

And game of the year gets a whopping 13%? Wow, is it just me or there don't really seem to be all that many REALLY compelling games week in week out? xconfusedx

A lot of people expect Wofford to finish the year in the top 10 and some even higher. I would say that the possibility of a 1 vs. 10 matchup is kinda sexy.

NDSUFREAK
May 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
A lot of people expect Wofford to finish the year in the top 10 and some even higher. I would say that the possibility of a 1 vs. 10 matchup is kinda sexy.

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

A VERY SEXY MATCHUP!

AZGrizFan
May 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Where's the "East Coast Bias" now? Not a single game east of central Virginia.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yep. No East Coast bias..... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Draw a N/S line through Central Virginia....it's AMAZING how half the country falls on the left side, and half on the right....it truly is an optical illusion! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I think some homerism is certainly on display for this list. On the whole, it's not too bad, but you can see certain voting blocs on strong display.

MYTAPPY
May 29th, 2007, 01:18 PM
A little surprised not seeing NAU @ App in there.

Saint3333
May 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think some homerism is certainly on display for this list. On the whole, it's not too bad, but you can see certain voting blocs on strong display.

Oh there definitely is, I'm sure a lot of ASU fans voted for the ASU @ Wofford match-up, I voted UMass - Maine. But I don't see ASU vs. WCU, UTC, or Citadel in the top 5s. As there are a lot of ASU fans that voted, hats off to you as it appears our fanbase voted for games other than our own.

I'm sure the Delaware fans weren't the ones voting for Delaware vs. Bill & Mary and Delaware vs. Nova.xsmiley_wix

Dukie95
May 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'm sure the Delaware fans weren't the ones voting for Delaware vs. Bill & Mary

It's the first CAA game, so many CAA fans had that one, I'm sure.

Actually, the lack of CAA games tells me not many CAA fans showed up, and that could be because the CAAZone was down and up and down while the voting was running.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yep. No East Coast bias..... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Draw a N/S line through Central Virginia....it's AMAZING how half the country falls on the left side, and half on the right....it truly is an optical illusion! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yes, it really is amazing that nearly the entire COAST OF THE EASTERN PART OF THE US falls on the other side of that line.

:p

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'm sure the Delaware fans weren't the ones voting for Delaware vs. Bill & Mary and Delaware vs. Nova.xsmiley_wix

I voted Delaware/W&M. The first-ever CAA game is a huge deal, though I can't blame folks for wanting to see McNeese/PSU even if it's only to see Game 1 of the Jerry Glanville show.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I don't think that game made it in time to be voted on

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I can't blame folks for wanting to see McNeese/PSU
I like the good and uncommon OOC match-ups. xtwocentsx

I am a little disappointed in the lack of distribution. Yes, AppSt is the two time defending champ, but three games... c'mon. xcoolx

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
i dont see how the Georgia SOuthern game is on there. GSU isnt great for now and it wont be a game of the week. Montana and Montana St isnt the game of the year. MSU will be good but not great this year. yes everyone likes to see them play but there are better games this year. the ISU - NDSU game will be really good im guessing.

DunkandDukin
May 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
It's the first CAA game, so many CAA fans had that one, I'm sure.

Actually, the lack of CAA games tells me not many CAA fans showed up, and that could be because the CAAZone was down and up and down while the voting was running.

Well, that and half the CAA wants to kick football out for some reason. The football schools draggin down the conference basketball.xeyebrowx

And yea, I'm with whoever ?'ed the MSU- Griz game. I guess it's a big deal year in year out,but game of the year for the entire FCS? Nah.

JDC325
May 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
i dont see how the Georgia SOuthern game is on there. GSU isnt great for now and it wont be a game of the week. Montana and Montana St isnt the game of the year. MSU will be good but not great this year. yes everyone likes to see them play but there are better games this year. the ISU - NDSU game will be really good im guessing.

No doubt GSU is on a downhill slide but I guess you have never been to a GSU / ASU game. Everyone knows you throw out the records good or bad for that game because they just do not matter MOST of the time. We went 3-8 and absolutely sucked and still took them into double overtime and probably gave them their hardest FCS game for the year.

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
No doubt GSU is on a downhill slide but I guess you have never been to a GSU / ASU game. Everyone knows you throw out the records good or bad for that game because they just do not matter MOST of the time. We went 3-8 and absolutely sucked and still took them into double overtime and probably gave them their hardest FCS game for the year.

i thought about that but i still dont think so. i mean the texas st - shsu game has be good for many years now with playoff implications on the line but i still wouldnt consider it game of the week unless both teams were great that year. i usually think of teams that will be both high in the polls. i dunno just my xtwocentsx

Mountaineer
May 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
The only ASU game I voted for was the Furman matchup. xthumbsupx

Count me in as an App fan that actually wants to see other games. ;) :D

GtFllsGriz
May 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
They look pretty good to me. It is kind of heavy with Appy but I think it speaks volume for the respect and anticipation of the Southern Conference games. I voted for every one of them just because they are great games and a great conference.

I was kind of surprised at all the NDSU games but again I enjoy watching them and they will be fun matchups.

To those of you that question the Brawl of the Wild; I can tell you that the game will be a great matchup no matter what the records are.

I can't wait for the season to begin!

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM

What you are missing is the fact that MSU-UM is one of the biggest and oldest rivalries in the FCS. I know there are other rivalries taking place, but this one is in-state and in-conference, which not too many teams can say. I think if you take that into account you can make a strong case for that to be the game of the year. But I will not say that there are other games that could be game of the year.

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM
What you are missing is the fact that MSU-UM is one of the biggest and oldest rivalries in the FCS. I know there are other rivalries taking place, but this one is in-state and in-conference, which not too many teams can say. I think if you take that into account you can make a strong case for that to be the game of the year. But I will not say that there are other games that could be game of the year.

i know and i respect that. i just think there will be a more interesting game that doesnt happen every year. i think its game of the week but not game of the year.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
i know and i respect that. i just think there will be a more interesting game that doesnt happen every year. i think its game of the week but not game of the year.

Then who do you think is the game of the year?

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Then who do you think is the game of the year?

Illinois St vs North Dakota St

GreatAppSt
May 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM

With their schedule I expect GSU will be 6 - 0 coming into Boone App should be :D I hope 5 - 1.

boonedocks
May 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

A VERY SEXY MATCHUP!

Bravo!
xlolx xlolx :D xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 06:13 PM

I would take Furman vs. App St over this game every time. I would still take UM vs. MSU over this game any day too. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Not too bad...a bit of AppSt with three AppSt games. Two NDSU and two ILLST games. UNI also makes two appearances on the list.

2007 FCS Game of the Week Survey Final Results
College Sporting News
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85650

2007 FCS Game of the Week Winners

Week 1: Portland State @ McNeese State
Week 2: New Hampshire @ James Madison
Week 3: Northern Iowa @ South Dakota State
Week 4: Appalachian State @ Wofford
Week 5: Northern Iowa @ Illinois State
Week 6: Youngstown State @ Southern Illinois
Week 7: Cal Poly @ UC Davis
Week 8: Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State
Week 9: Appalachian State @ Furman
Week 10: Illinois State @ North Dakota State
Week 11: North Dakota State @ Cal Poly
Week 12: Montana @ Montana State

GAME OF THE YEAR: Montana @ Montana State

DETAIL OF THE HIGH FIVE GAMES EACH WEEK:
(rank, pct. of vote, game)

read more: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85650

good schedule, but no UNI-YSU?

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I'm surpised by the UNI votes. Our posters haven't been too active this offseason.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM

App wins by 20+, that's why it's not on there.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
With their schedule I expect GSU will be 6 - 0 coming into Boone App should be :D I hope 5 - 1.
I don't see Georgia Southern winning more than SIX games ALL season. Three systems in three years is tough to adjust to and while Chris Hatcher is a good coach, it will take some time for him to get the type of personnel he needs in the right places. Also, don't overlook how much depth the SoCon will have this year. Personally, I don't see the ASU-GSU game being that important in the big scheme of things in FCS this season. My vote for week eight would go to the MEAC showdown between Hampton and South Carolina State. And I've been to 14 years of the ASU-GSU showdowns.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Don't see why this would be your game of the year. A good game, yes, but not the game of the year by any stretch. ISU-NDSU has no conference implications and one of the teams isn't even eligible for the playoffs. Can't see that it would be that important. Either of these other games, James Madison @ Delaware, Portland State @ Montana, or Lehigh @ Colgate, would seem to be more important in the big scheme of things.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM

And game of the year gets a whopping 13%? Wow, is it just me or there don't really seem to be all that many REALLY compelling games week in week out? xconfusedxIn some people's minds, this game could ultimately decide the SoCon championship. A lot of people have both ASU and Wofford in our preseason top-10s and Wofford gave ASU what I consider to be its biggest scare last season in a 14-7 victory.

ngineer
May 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Do I detect an anti-northeast bias here?.....xconfusedx

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Don't see why this would be your game of the year. A good game, yes, but not the game of the year by any stretch. ISU-NDSU has no conference implications and one of the teams isn't even eligible for the playoffs. Can't see that it would be that important. Either of these other games, James Madison @ Delaware, Portland State @ Montana, or Lehigh @ Colgate, would seem to be more important in the big scheme of things.

i choose it because its something new and good. two great teams that dont see each other every year. i like to see games like this. if i want to see a great game that happens every year then ill watch texas st and shsu. they always have huge playoffs implications. however the ndsu game is unique and fun. thus game of the year.

i mean its like UT and Ohio St playing each other. i'd rather see that then UT and A&M playing because that happens every year.

T-Dog
May 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
In some people's minds, this game could ultimately decide the SoCon championship.

I've stated that before. It to me is the early-season Championship game.

And I wish our mountain brawl was a bit more even like the one out west. :( It'd make for some killer crowds on BOTH sides. Althought I wouldn't change most the outcomes xsmiley_wix

umassfan
May 30th, 2007, 12:02 AM
How does UMass UNH not finish 1st for game of the week in week 11?

GoAgs72
May 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm glad to see Cal Poly@UC Davis in week 7 since I will be at that game. Something tells me that UC Davis@NDSU will be a bigger game, though.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM
i choose it because its something new and good. two great teams that dont see each other every year. i like to see games like this. if i want to see a great game that happens every year then ill watch texas st and shsu. they always have huge playoffs implications. however the ndsu game is unique and fun. thus game of the year.

i mean its like UT and Ohio St playing each other. i'd rather see that then UT and A&M playing because that happens every year.
I like the inter-conference matchups, too. I just don't think that North Dakota State-Illinois State is a game of the year candidate. I'm surprised it was game of the week.

Huge playoff implications? No offense, but Texas State has won the Southland one time and been to the playoffs once in FCS. Sam Houston State was in the semifinals in 2004 and occasionally makes it to the playoffs, but it's not like that is that big of a game outside of Texas.

slycat
May 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I like the inter-conference matchups, too. I just don't think that North Dakota State-Illinois State is a game of the year candidate. I'm surprised it was game of the week.

Huge playoff implications? No offense, but Texas State has won the Southland one time and been to the playoffs once in FCS. Sam Houston State was in the semifinals in 2004 and occasionally makes it to the playoffs, but it's not like that is that big of a game outside of Texas.

well not outside of texas but for me its the best. i say playoff implications but this has been for the last few years. 2004 shsu beat txst to get bid for playoffs. 2005 txst beat shsu to get bid for playoffs. 2006 txst beat shsu to stop shsu from getting co champs in the slc.

GreatAppSt
May 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I don't see Georgia Southern winning more than SIX games ALL season. Three systems in three years is tough to adjust to and while Chris Hatcher is a good coach, it will take some time for him to get the type of personnel he needs in the right places. Also, don't overlook how much depth the SoCon will have this year. Personally, I don't see the ASU-GSU game being that important in the big scheme of things in FCS this season. My vote for week eight would go to the MEAC showdown between Hampton and South Carolina State. And I've been to 14 years of the ASU-GSU showdowns.

I Agree. My 07 prediction for GSU is they will win their first six and then mail in their last five games starting with APP. xoopsx

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
NDSU gave this some coverage...

CHICAGO, Ill.--College Sporting News announced the results of the 2007 NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) Game of the Week Survey and North Dakota State has a pair of those showdowns on tap this fall.

On back-to-back weekends, the North Dakota State-Illinois State game at the Fargodome on Nov. 3, and the Great West Football Conference encounter between NDSU and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo on Nov. 10, peaked the interest of FCS fans around the country.

The Bison-Cal Poly game was third in voting for the Game of the Year. NDSU games against Sam Houston State, Western Illinois, UC Davis and South Dakota State were among the top five in game of the week results.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=906185