PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Ditches FCS

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM
This year Athlon will not be doing FCS coverage. They didn't even miss print this year. I found out today that they decided to just drop it so there won't even be any coverage in their regional mags.

bluehenbillk
May 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Disappointing.

JoshUCA
May 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Go...gate
May 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Well, I won't be buying Athlon's Eastern Football anymore, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

saint0917
May 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Well, I won't be buying Athlon's Eastern Football anymore, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I won't be either.xnonono2x xnonono2x

Umass74
May 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Well, that saves me $7.95.

I was just thinking that FCS looks like it's getting more TV coverage this year.

The MSM is getting hit hard by the internet. We'll just have to do more self publishing.

There's a new Furman Blog (http://purpleaxe.typepad.com/) that seems to be of high quality.

We could use more...

RichH2
May 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM
A shame really. I looked forward to the Eastern edition. Well, now I can save the moneyfor beer.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM
That's their loss. There will be a lot of FCS fans, including me that will not be buying their magazine this year.

aggie6thman
May 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Now we can all just force them to pay attention. Win games against FBS teams, start drawing crowds to the games. I am talking about across the board. Then they will start to respect us! xnodx

henfan
May 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Athlon Ditches FCS

How about this headline, "The FCS ditches Athlon." Now I have absolutely no reason to waste my $8 on that rag.

I recommend that everyone on this board contact Athlon Editorial Director, Charlie Miller to let him know that you won't be buying their magazines because of the FCS slight. Miller's email addy is:
[email protected]

spdram
May 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I sent mine, I'll post here if I get a response.

youwouldno
May 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Well, that saves me $7.95.

I was just thinking that FCS looks like it's getting more TV coverage this year.

The MSM is getting hit hard by the internet. We'll just have to do more self publishing.

There's a new Furman Blog (http://purpleaxe.typepad.com/) that seems to be of high quality.

We could use more...

Danang, learning about a new Furman blog from a UMass fan. Nothing against UMass, just makes me feel like a lousy fan.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM
How about this headline, "The FCS ditches Athlon." Now I have absolutely no reason to waste my $8 on that rag.

I recommend that everyone on this board contact Athlon Editorial Director, Charlie Miller to let him know that you won't be buying their magazines because of the FCS slight. Miller's email addy is:
[email protected]

Henfan,

Their FBS coverage is good. It is just a lack of FCS. I actually like to read all division writeups so I still check them out.

Here is a direct email to the other editor [email protected]

His name is Mitch Light. I would guess that Charlie's email is [email protected]

spdram
May 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Here's the reply I got:

"We do not have any coverage of FCS football this year."

Reminds me of the line "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!"

BigApp
May 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I've purchased Athlon

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
So they dropped it without any real explination. I say they're lazy and don't want to do their homework on the FCS. Athlon sucks. I remember when I was growing up Street & Smith's, Don Hensons did some FCS and D-II, D-III coverage

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Here's the reply I got:

"We do not have any coverage of FCS football this year."

Reminds me of the line "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!"

That's quality right there. "We won't cover FCS because we don't care." What a crock.xnonono2x

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
This year Athlon will not be doing FCS coverage. They didn't even miss print this year. I found out today that they decided to just drop it so there won't even be any coverage in their regional mags.

better than printing that crap Lindy's did.

TheBisonator
May 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Athlon is the lowest common denominator college football rag anyway. I bought last year's edition, and there were actually cigarette ads in the damn magazine. Gross...

ucdtim17
May 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM
better than printing that crap Lindy's did.

Exactly. They cover FBS football - anything they do for FCS will be half-assed and worthless. Not a surprise and not disappointing

Zoo
May 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone ever even make an FCS magazine?

Athlon sucks for that major.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I sent both of the editors the following email:

Dear Sir:

I have been a loyal reader of Athlon's college football preseason magazine over the years and I wanted to let you know that your decision to drop ALL coverage of the Football Championship Subdivision this year means that I will not be purchasing a copy of your product. There is a very strong and loyal group of fans that follows schools such as two-time defending national champion Appalachian State, Montana, Georgia Southern, Delaware, UMass, Northern Iowa, McNeese State, Furman and many other great schools. This is the one area of Division I football that does things right by deciding a championship on the field and yet you choose to ignore them. You might be interested in knowing that MANY of these schools draw more fans than a number of FBS leagues and schools that you did choose to cover in this year's magazine. I have also bought your basketball and baseball magazines over the years and as a loyal reader, I think myself and many others deserved better from you. I hope you see the error of your ways and cover ALL of Division I again next year.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Yes, College Sporting News is currently in the process of producing its fourth annual preseason magazine (fifth annual, counting our 2003 edition that came out as a downloadable PDF version). If you haven't seen it, it is like a media guide for all of FCS, with write ups on every team and every conference. It has been well over 100 pages each year, with tons of information and a lot of great photos.

Kill'em
May 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I sent both of the editors the following email:

Dear Sir:

I have been a loyal reader of Athlon's college football preseason magazine over the years and I wanted to let you know that your decision to drop ALL coverage of the Football Championship Subdivision this year means that I will not be purchasing a copy of your product. There is a very strong and loyal group of fans that follows schools such as two-time defending national champion Appalachian State, Montana, Georgia Southern, Delaware, UMass, Northern Iowa, McNeese State, Furman and many other great schools. This is the one area of Division I football that does things right by deciding a championship on the field and yet you choose to ignore them. You might be interested in knowing that MANY of these schools draw more fans than a number of FBS leagues and schools that you did choose to cover in this year's magazine. I have also bought your basketball and baseball magazines over the years and as a loyal reader, I think myself and many others deserved better from you. I hope you see the error of your ways and cover ALL of Division I again next year.

Perhaps, you should have written that you are a writer who covers this sub-division.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM

yes. we do. ;)

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Perhaps, you should have written that you are a writer who covers this sub-division.

That info is in my e-card. Hey, I'd write about FCS for them.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM

I think the only way they bring it back is if someone does it for free or if they got a ton of complaints. When I say a ton I mean thousands of them.

I know you won't write for free :D You know you have been around too long for that... xthumbsupx

Kill'em
May 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM

That was where I was going. xnodx

GreatAppSt
May 29th, 2007, 11:06 PM
what's an athlon?:D xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
May 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
what's an athlon?:D xsmiley_wix

Sounds like a character in the "Transformers" movie coming out soon.

Keeper
May 30th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Last season Athlon was 2nd best preseason mag
for FBS predicted rankings and have been in the
top five for several years running.

However, their issue has always struck me as a
"glamour" edition and short on in-depth details.
They must feel that dismissing FCS teams won't hurt their cred.

I know it sucks not to be included in the major print,
they are no different than other media, but hey, I never
expected any decent coverage from them anyway.
The BS butters their bread until readers demand more.

Just waiting patiently for my FCS issue. Too bad it can't be
found on the store shelves.

bluehenbillk
May 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'll just have to wait for Street & Smith which i consistently the best preview mag IMO.

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I wrote to Athlon this morning, and I got a response already.

Thanks for your email. We appreciate the feedback. I have received several
emails about this matter, and I'm glad that you, and other FCS fans, have
made the effort to contact us. We do have coverage of three I-AA conferences Ivy League, Patriot League and CAA in our Eastern Magazine but do not have I-AA rankings and an All-America team in our National Magazine, as we have had in recent years. It seems as though we may have underestimated the interested in this section of the magazine. We won't be making any final plans for our 2008 magazine until next winter, but I can tell you now that we will strongly consider finding some space for FCS coverage. xbowx xbowx

AZGrizFan
May 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM

made the effort to contact us. We do have coverage of three I-AA conferences Ivy League, Patriot League and CAA in our Eastern Magazine but do not have I-AA rankings and an All-America team in our National Magazine, as we have had in recent years. It seems as though we may have underestimated the interested in this section of the magazine. We won't be making any final plans for our 2008 magazine until next winter, but I can tell you now that we will strongly consider finding some space for FCS coverage. xbowx xbowx

Nice, but it doesn't do us any good for THIS year... xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Hopefully that's not just lip service.

terrierbob
May 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Doesn't Street and Smith cover FCS?

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I hardly buy any of those preseason mags. The only one I did buy was Street and Smith's.

Ivytalk
May 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I won't be either.xnonono2x xnonono2x

Preach it!xnodx xnonono2x

Kill'em
May 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Yes, they do.

andy7171
May 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
What is the Athlon Eastern going to do? Just Big East and ACC coverage? I would at least think the Eastern edition would have FCS reviews. The majority of schools in the East are FCS. Makes no sense to me.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
What is the Athlon Eastern going to do? Just Big East and ACC coverage? I would at least think the Eastern edition would have FCS reviews. The majority of schools in the East are FCS. Makes no sense to me.

They will have PL, CAA, and Ivy League coverage. Just none of their other ones are going to include it at all.

andy7171
May 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
They will have PL, CAA, and Ivy League coverage. Just none of their other ones are going to include it at all.
I have to work on my reading comprehension! xoopsx
:o
xpeacex

89Hen
May 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care. The only pre-season publications I care about are the AGS Preview and Delaware's Media Guide. xcoffeex Everything I need to know about I-AA I can find here and CSN.

BigApp
May 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM

yes, they do. Complete with cover pictures.

tarmac
May 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I got the same email apparantly

John: Thanks for your email. We appreciate the feedback. I have received several emails about this matter, and I’m glad that you, and other FCS fans, have made the effort to contact us. We do have coverage of three I-AA conferences — Ivy League, Patriot League and CAA — in our Eastern Magazine but do not have I-AA rankings and an All-America team in our National Magazine, as we have had in recent years. It seems as though we may have underestimated the interested in this section of the magazine. We won’t be making any final plans for our 2008 magazine until next winter, but I can tell you now that we will strongly consider finding some space for FCS coverage.
Thanks again,
Mitchell Light
Senior Editor
Athlon Sports

I will not by your magazine this year since there will be no FCS coverage.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
The response is a general one but at least they are reading.

JaxSinfonian
May 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Looks like they would at least send a personal response to people if they cared. They are just sending out a general response to everyone.

If you were getting dozens or hundreds of e-mails, all saying basically the same thing, would you take 5-10 minutes to reply to every one, or spend 5 seconds copying and pasting (the same info that you actually want to communicate) so you can actually reply to everyone?

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
If you were getting dozens or hundreds of e-mails, all saying basically the same thing, would you take 5-10 minutes to reply to every one, or spend 5 seconds copying and pasting (the same info that you actually want to communicate) so you can actually reply to everyone?

I am curious how many they have gotten. I have counted about 5 so far. I sent one and a few on here have. We need to get a hundred plus people so they see that the FCS fans are serious.

If they do add FCS coverage next year EVERYONE needs to buy a copy to show that there is interest out there.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care. The only pre-season publications I care about are the AGS Preview and Delaware's Media Guide. xcoffeex Everything I need to know about I-AA I can find here and CSN.

agreed

ngineer
May 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I emailed them as well and got the same reply you did. It's basically the same, but still recognizes they're losing some customers by excluding 'us'..

Bobcat in NC
May 31st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a character in the "Transformers" movie coming out soon.

Hmmm, I thought it was that supplemental insurance you could get through work. You know, that stuff that the duck from Ford Fairlane sells...