PDA

View Full Version : Will ASU make history?

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
and win an unprecedented 3rd championship in a row?

JMU2004
May 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't care.....I am just sick and tired of ASU talk..... xcoolx xbawlingx

MYTAPPY
May 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM
This should be a yes/no poll. Get rid of the "wait and see".
Oh.....I voted YES!

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Oh.....I voted YES!

I was gonna do that, but I figured people would want a 3rd option and mention something along the lines of "wait and see"

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM

then maybe you should take us out of your sigxrolleyesx

ChooChoo
May 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Actually, the better question should be not "can they" but "will they".
Can they? Sure. Anybody can if they play well and win.
Will they?
That leaves no room for deabate or fence sitting.xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Oh.....I voted YES!
But then it should say "WILL they" not "CAN they". Of course they 'can'... but we'll have to 'wait and see'. xsmiley_wix

edit: choo choo beat me to it.

trusty
May 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
and win an unprecedented 3rd championship in a row?

Michigan rolls App.xnodx Don't start xbawlingx when the score by the 4th is UM 56 - Appy 14.

As far as winning the 3rd championship that could happen.

OL FU
May 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
God I hope not:p

SuperEagle
May 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
If they can win the next 4, they would tie us. LOL. sorry App, I had to.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Michigan rolls App.xnodx Don't start xbawlingx when the score by the 4th is UM 56 - Appy 14.

As far as winning the 3rd championship that could happen.

well, maybe I should start a poll entitled "How much will the Wolverines roll ASU by?"

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 10:23 AM
If they can win the next 4, they would tie us. LOL. sorry App, I had to.

ahhh, yes

but it would be a piece of history that nobody has accomplishedxthumbsupx

SoCon48
May 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Oh.....I voted YES!

One game at a time please!! Michigan could rack up sev key players.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM

That's the way I get when I hear about JMU's proposed 100K seat stadium. ;)

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
That's the way I get when I hear about JMU's proposed 100K seat stadium. ;)

JMU is getting a 100k seat stadium?!?!? Wow, congrats JMU!xlolx

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
no and im calling it now that they wont even make it to the NC. i bet they will lose in the semis. thats my guess.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I think that there should be a couple revisions to the poll choices.

1) "yes, and I am an ASU fan"
2) "no, and I am an ASU fan"

xtwocentsx

GtFllsGriz
May 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I think that they may be capable but that is a pretty hard task to accomplish. There are way to many variables to consider that make it unlikly that they can win three in a row. But then again, we could wait and see. ps. I voted "no".

HiHiYikas
May 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I can't make a prediction either way. There's a good reason nobody's ever done it. The past two seasons have confirmed, despite several anxious moments and near-mishaps, the Mountaineers are a pretty special team. This year gives them a chance to prove they're a VERY special team. The path only gets harder and harder, though, and nobody can be the best forever.

It's nice to be in the position for a three-peat. The whole Appalachian fanbase and program hasn't been here before, so there's no reason for any of us to act like we have.

I hope that, if ASU does fall off the top of the heap this year, it happens after a long, hard fight with the new champion-to-be. I'd like to be able to congratulate the new champs after a spectacular season and a tough playoff loss, rather than following up a championship season with a so-so record.

It would be a 'passing-of-the-torch' kind of moment, if you will. That makes for good and entertaining sports.

GoGuins
May 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, their only loss will be 9/1

igo4uni
May 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I voted no, just because it is so hard to make it through the playoffs.

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I hope they don't. I want to see some new teams in the title game

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I hope they don't. I want to see some new teams in the title game

Well said. When one team dominates the talk around the sport, then it gets boring. Watching the giant get slain is fun, no matter who it is.

appfan2008
May 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
i voted yes but did anyone doubt that?

of course the question is can they and is of course they can... who knows if they will...

Eyes of Old Main
May 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I said no, but based on the degree of difficulty, not because I think they don't have the talent to do it. That being said, I do not believe they will go through the SoCon undefeated again.

jonmac
May 29th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Were the Jordan Bulls boring? How 'bout Wooden's Bruins? Dynasties can also be fun. I know, I know...that's easy for me to say because I am an App fan. But I can honestly say that I would feel the same if it were YSU with a shot at 3, or...gulp... dare I say GSU. I agree that slaying a giant is fun but with no dynasties there would be no giants to slay. Yes, I will be upset when the Mountaineer run is over but it will end. I just hope later than sooner. Bottom line...whoever wins the FCS NC darn well deserves it, no question. And that can't always be said about that other subdivision. Best wishes to all ya'lls teams and here's to hoping that the road to the next NC runs through BOONE, NC.

ps...can anyone loan me some money for my trip to Ann Arbor (oh, sorry, wrong thread)

jonmac
May 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
By the way I voted YES. Why wouldn't any self respecting App fan. GOAPPS!!!!!

Seawolf97
May 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Too difficult -I voted no

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
If we do pass the torch, I want to give it to the Furmies

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Were the Jordan Bulls boring? How 'bout Wooden's Bruins? Dynasties can also be fun. I know, I know...that's easy for me to say because I am an App fan. But I can honestly say that I would feel the same if it were YSU with a shot at 3, or...gulp... dare I say GSU. I agree that slaying a giant is fun but with no dynasties there would be no giants to slay. Yes, I will be upset when the Mountaineer run is over but it will end. I just hope later than sooner. Bottom line...whoever wins the FCS NC darn well deserves it, no question. And that can't always be said about that other subdivision. Best wishes to all ya'lls teams and here's to hoping that the road to the next NC runs through BOONE, NC.

ps...can anyone loan me some money for my trip to Ann Arbor (oh, sorry, wrong thread)

The positive side to dynasties in the FCS is that there are conference games, and there are playoff games. You will get some teams you play every year, but then you will get teams that you won't play every year. That really means that somebody out there might just be the team to knock off the giant.

But I still say dynasties suck.

GreatAppSt
May 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM

xarguex xspankx

I wanted to vote Hide And Watch:D but that choice was not there so I went with wait an seexwhistlex

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
How does a team that lost 20 seniors repeat? It must mean that the rest of the FCS is pretty weak when there are top 5 teams returning most of their teams. If ASU repeats I will be surprised. I will also be surprised if any team that loses 20 or more seniors is as good as they were the year before when they were senior heavy. We have 26 seniors this year and I won't even pick us to win the Big Sky in 2008.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Appalachian State lost four starters on offense (most of whom will be pretty easily replaced) and five starters on defense. Marques Murrell and Jeremy Wiggins were both All-Americans on defense, but there are good players coming in to fill those spots, too. I don't know where you got the figure of 20 seniors. I guarantee you there were not 20 players of significance that graduated. I don't know where you got that number, Ronbo. Maybe 10 or 12 of the seniors were contributors. The nucleus of the back-to-back championship team remains. ASU was an extremely deep team last season and the Mountaineers have a lot of depth everywhere but defensive line this season. The DL depth relates more to experience than a lack of talent. Now if you were talking about the 2008 Mountaineers, then I might agree with you.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Well said. When one team dominates the talk around the sport, then it gets boring. Watching the giant get slain is fun, no matter who it is.

I would generally agree with you, but the thing that makes this season interesting is the fact that no team in FCS has EVER won three straight championships. Seeing history is something that always is interesting to me and that is why I want to see if Appalachian State can do something no one else has done.

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Seniors are seniors. They have been with the team for 4-5 years and are core players on special teams and as backups if they aren't starters. When you have several key seniors that are solid backups and are starters on the kick teams they are hard to replace also. Special teams are as important as offense or defense. There's no way you have 20 seniors and they are not ALL playing a key role on the team.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Seniors are seniors. They have been with the team for 4-5 years and are core players on special teams and as backups if they aren't starters. When you have several key seniors that are solid backups and are starters on the kick teams they are hard to replace also. Special teams are as important as offense or defense. There's no way you have 20 seniors and they are not ALL playing a key role on the team.

If 15 of those seniors never played, then you are wrong

bobbythekidd
May 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM

ANYONE but them!

I voted no, but that is because of a small bit of Montana, and one part of the damage that Michigan could cause, and a large part of homerism.

Still, Furman??

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
ANYONE but them!

I voted no, but that is because of a small bit of Montana, and one part of the damage that Michigan could cause, and a large part of homerism.

Still, Furman??

Yes, they deserve it, and I'd rather keep it in the SoCon

FlyYtown
May 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I voted NO. Why?
Talk about how great this team is and how great the players are may get straight to the players heads; which is never a good thing. They will be talented; but I don't think they will have it in them to win a 3rd straight title.

People wonder why it has never been done.

bobbythekidd
May 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'd rather keep it in the SoCon

Agreed, GSU it is. I like the way you think. :D

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know where you got the figure of 20 seniors. I guarantee you there were not 20 players of significance that graduated. I don't know where you got that number, Ronbo.

It was very simple. Before spring every team still has their 2006 roster posted. I just went to ASU's website and counted 20 seniors on the 2006 team.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I voted NO. Why?
Talk about how great this team is and how great the players are may get straight to the players heads; which is never a good thing. They will be talented; but I don't think they will have it in them to win a 3rd straight title.

People wonder why it has never been done.

and you don't think people doubting their ability to do it isn't a motivator?

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Like I said earlier, only 10 or 12 of the seniors from last year ever contributed. Over the years, ASU has regularly used a lot of underclassmen. That is why in most years, the Mountaineers are one of the top teams in FCS. There were a half a dozen true freshmen who played significant roles last year, two of them as starters (QB Armanti Edwards and LT Mario Acitelli).

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
It was very simple. Before spring every team still has their 2006 roster posted. I just went to ASU's website and counted 20 seniors on the 2006 team.
And did you account for the fact that several of those seniors were players who will be back for 2007 because of redshirt years? And did you account for the fact that almost half of those players NEVER hardly saw the field? There were also players listed that didn't even finish the season with the Mountaineers.

whoanellie
May 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
barf, go look for wooly worms , no way aswho makes the playoffs

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
barf, go look for wooly worms , no way aswho makes the playoffs

give me the number of your dealer, cause that stuff you are smokin is good

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
You mean to tell me you carried 8 kids for 5 years that never played. I look young for my age but I wasn't born yesterday. If your coach is doing that he is stupid.

Every kid on Montana's roster plays by the time they ar sophs or juniors on special teams if nothing else. There's not a kid I can remember since 1994 that didn't play at least on the kickoff team. We don't keep kids that would never play, they don't make the roster.

You lost 20 seniors and just like Central Arkansas that lost 21 seniors I don't believe you'll be as good as last year. If UCA is getting slammed for losing 21 seniors and Montana might not even win the Big Sky in 2008, then what makes you guys so different. You know you can't be the best every year, just ask GSU and Montana fans.

Saint3333
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
9 of those seniors started, and 2-3 more of them were special team starters. ASU lost 14 players from the 2005 team including 6 starters (QB, WR, OL, 2 DL, LB)

ASU lost:
2 OL - they are deep at this position, there shouldn't be much of a drop off here, likely 2 all-americans remain.

1 WR - not sure if we have another 6'2" 220lbs. guy to replace him, but WR might be the deepest (with experience) position on the roster

1 TE - the TE really just blocked a lot last year after Bettis was so active in 2005, there are servicable replacements

1 LB - ASU had 2 guys just licking their chops on the bench last year, one likely all-american.

1 S - IMO this will be ASU's biggest loss, Wiggins was amazing in run support. 2 guys are ready to take over, one filled in nicely while Lynch was hurt, 1 all-america for sure.

3 DL - The biggest question mark, but we have one potential All-American back and 2 guys Robertson (speed) and Williams (power) that saw major minutes in the playoffs. Add the LSU transfer, a solid back-up in Finnerty, and if 1-2 of the freshman coming in can contribute like Robertson and Williams did last year ASU will be fine. ASU is D-line U.

ASU had a great recruiting class following the 1st NC and 6 true freshmen were major pieces to the 2nd NC: OL - Acitelli, DL - Robertson & Williams, LB - Roman, RB - Moore, QB - Edwards.

This incoming class looks just as strong and don't forget the redshirts from last year.

I'm thinking ASU will place 7 players on the three deep all-american rosters.

Ronbo, programs like ASU don't rebuild we reload. I thought a Montana fan would understand that.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
too tough to call. They're clearly the early favorite. But with playoffs in place, you never know.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM
no and im calling it now that they wont even make it to the NC. i bet they will lose in the semis. thats my guess.

to who and how?

BrevardMountaineer03
May 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I voted yes, not jsut to be a homer, but because I believe that with the OL and the running tandem of Edwards and Richardson will be to tough to stop. Armanti can run and throw, the DL will be shaky to start, but I believe that they will gell and will figure things out.

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
9 of those seniors started, and 2-3 more of them were special team starters.

ASU lost:
2 OL - they are deep at this position, there shouldn't be much of a drop off here, likely 2 all-americans remain.

1 WR - not sure if we have another 6'2" 220lbs. guy to replace him, but WR might be the deepest (with experience) position on the roster

1 TE - the TE really just blocked a lot last year after Bettis was so active in 2005, there are servicable replacements

1 LB - ASU had 2 guys just licking their chops on the bench last year, one likely all-american.

1 S - IMO this will be ASU's biggest loss, Wiggins was amazing in run support. 2 guys are ready to take over, one filled in nicely while Lynch was hurt, 1 all-america for sure.

3 DL - The biggest question mark, but we have one potential All-American back and 2 guys Robertson (speed) and Williams (power) that saw major minutes in the playoffs. Add the LSU transfer, a solid back-up in Finnerty, and if 1-2 of the freshman coming in can contribute like Robertson and Williams did last year ASU will be fine. ASU is D-line U.

ASU had a great recruiting class following the 1st NC and 6 true freshmen were major pieces to the 2nd NC: OL - Acitelli, DL - Robertson & Williams, LB - Roman, RB - Moore, QB - Edwards.

This incoming class looks just as strong and don't forget the redshirts from last year.

I'm thinking ASU will place 7 players on the three deep all-american rosters.

Ronbo, programs like ASU don't rebuild we reload. I thought a Montana fan would understand that.

We reload too. But it takes a down year or two for us to get back to the top 5. We're reloading in 2005 but 2005's team (8-4) was not as good as 2004's.(12-3) And 2006's team (12-2) was not as good as 2007's will be.xsmiley_wix We'll be reloading again in 2008 and I see another 8-4 team.

We had two pre season All Americans last year that were not mentioned at the end of the season because they got hurt and missed alot of games. Cal Poly had 6-7 Pre Season All Americans last year and missed the playoffs.

bobbythekidd
May 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM

True, Montana always reloads. App has been able to do that for 3-4 years. Montana might just need to move up. They have the money... but that is another topic.

3333, you are correct that the D-line is the potential weak point of this seasons' team. The point scorers are still there. The system is still in place and only getting better. O line is bigger, stronger, and better. The line, on either side, never gets the props it deserves. I will go one further and say special teams. If the game is won, no one cares. If the game is close, everyone blames special teams. xnonono2x

Saint3333
May 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
8-4 surely not with the way you guys schedule, jk.

Don't give me that it takes two years to rebuild at Montana...

Since 1993 (14 years) Montana has had 3 8-4 seasons and none worse than that.

BTW are you saying that ASU isn't a top 5 team?

Sir William
May 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
No doubt, App has the ability to do it.

That said........ain't gonna happen.

Ronbo
May 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Nope I believe you are. Just not sure you will dominate like last year's team. I will be surprised if you go 14-1 and win it all. I will NOT be surprised if you go 11-3 and lose in the semi's.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM
You mean to tell me you carried 8 kids for 5 years that never played. I look young for my age but I wasn't born yesterday. If your coach is doing that he is stupid.

Every kid on Montana's roster plays by the time they ar sophs or juniors on special teams if nothing else. There's not a kid I can remember since 1994 that didn't play at least on the kickoff team. We don't keep kids that would never play, they don't make the roster.
As I have tried to tell you, some of your numbers are wrong. You want to go through the roster, here it goes:
1. Third-string QB Chase Laws was listed as a senior. He is a transfer from Army and has one more year.
2. Senior DL Mina Banoub had one solo tackle in his career and seldom played at DL. He had a lot of injuries that slowed what was expected to be a promising career.
3. All-American Daniel Bettis graduated and signed as a free agent with the Detroit Lions.
4. OL Larry Blackwood played in just eight games in his previous three years and was plagued by knee injuries. Jerry Moore doesn't cut players like Blackwood, even though Blackwood wasn't a significant player.
5. Omarr Byrom started at DT for four years.
6. Nic Cardwell was the back-up TE, but in reality will be back as a redshirt senior for his final year as the starting TE.
7. Dominique Dingle was a highly-recruited JC transfer, but started only one game in his three years (one as a injured redshirt), due to injuries and the emergence of Justin Woazeh and Jerome Touchstone at CB. Dingle was a good special teams player.
8. J.T. Holleman was a back-up OL who had transferred from Division III Guilford College. He played in eight games as a junior, almost always in garbage time.
9. Matt Isenhour was a two-time All-American and three-year starter at RT. Isenhour was the 2005 Jacobs Blacking Trophy winner as the best offensive lineman in the Southern Conference.
10. Mike King started the first game of his career as a redshirt freshman safety at Hawaii and performed SO badly, getting burned for two long TD passes, that he never started another game. He did play on special teams and in goal-line situations, but that was it.
11. William Mayfield was a starting LB as a sophomore and a starting WR as a senior. He led ASU in receiving as a senior and was an all-conference performer.
12. Josh Miller played in seven games in his first three years, all as a reserve and played very little as a senior OL and reserve long snapper.
13. Marques Murrell was a two-time All-American and Buchanan Award finalist. He was a four-year starter and signed a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.
14. Daniel Orlebar started as a senior DT after transferring from Wake Forest a couple of years earlier.
15. Jeremy Robertson was a two-year starter and an All-Southern Conference performer at RG.
16. Monte Smith was a two-year starter at outside linebacker after starting at DE as a sophomore. He was an all-conference performer as a senior.
17. Tommy Sofield was a local kid, who played very little as a reserve DT. His father played at ASU and is a big doner to the program.
18. Brian Stokes was the wedge buster on the kickoff coverage team, the third or fourth-string TE and was the Iraq war hero, who received a lot of national publicity.
19. Marcus White was listed as a senior RB, but as far as I can remember never played after transferring from Cumberland College.
20. Jeremy Wiggins was a four-year starter and two-time All-American. He was also a 2006 Buchanan Award finalist.

So there are your 20 seniors and it is pretty much as I was saying all a long. There are nine starters that have left and a small handful of other contributors. But it's just like Montana, programs at the very top of FCS always have players ready to fill the gaps.

Grizo406
May 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'd love to see it happen, but ONLY if the Griz aren't involved.

I'd also love to see Georgia Southern, and Delaware hang another flag.

Sir William
May 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'd also love to see Georgia Southern...hang another flag.

:pumpuke:

Saint3333
May 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'd love to see it happen, but ONLY if the Griz aren't involved.

I'd also love to see Georgia Southern, and Delaware hang another flag.

If ASU can't do it, I'd like to see either UNI or McNeese get their first championship (great tradition and history) of course not against the Apps though.

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM
If ASU can't do it, I'd like to see either UNI or McNeese get their first championship (great tradition and history) of course not against the Apps though.

I second that. Even for McNeese.

Grizo406
May 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM
:pumpuke:

2001 was a long time ago, Sir William...let it go.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I would generally agree with you, but the thing that makes this season interesting is the fact that no team in FCS has EVER won three straight championships. Seeing history is something that always is interesting to me and that is why I want to see if Appalachian State can do something no one else has done.

Watching sports history being made IS special, I won't disagree with that. BUT I think that there are some records that are better left unbroken. This would be one of them IMO.

Sir William
May 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
2001 was a long time ago, Sir William...let it go.

xoopsx

Oh, the humanity!

Help me. Somebody, help me.

GGASU
May 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
If we go injury free, like last year, then I think the Mountaineers can and should win the championship.

With the starting line-up healthy, ASU will field a better team then the last two years, but we are also a couple key injurys away from a 3 or 4 loss season.

slycat
May 30th, 2007, 12:03 AM
to who and how?

a revenge upset to UNI. ;)

GolfingGriz
May 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I don't like dynasties... except for the one at UM.

douglasdmb
May 30th, 2007, 01:44 AM
It would be good to see a title from a Gateway team again. WKU being the last to win one kind of leaves a bad taste in our mouths now that they've left.

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM
If we go injury free, like last year, then I think the Mountaineers can and should win the championship.

With the starting line-up healthy, ASU will field a better team then the last two years, but we are also a couple key injurys away from a 3 or 4 loss season.

Don't count on having no injuries. They happen more often than we'd like and don't heal as quickly as we'd like. But if ASU is as deep as ya'll say they are, then they shouldn't have any problems.

GaSouthern
May 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
ASU still has along way to go to get to Marshall's YSU's and GSU's accomplishment level.

already123
May 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
they wont do it...plain and simple. good team however...

AppGuy04
May 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
ASU still has along way to go to get to Marshall's YSU's and GSU's accomplishment level.

too bad thats not the point of this thread

JohnStOnge
May 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Oh.....I voted YES!

It's also be better to State the question as "Will they..." instead of "Can they."

I voted "no." You pick any single team before the season and you're probably going to be wrong.

AppGuy04
May 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
It's also be better to State the question as "Will they..." instead of "Can they."

No, this was a prediction poll. I wanted to see what other thought "would" happen, not "could" happen

HiHiYikas
May 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I voted "no." You pick any single team before the season and you're probably going to be wrong.
Right you are, John...

Truth is, they're the only team that can 3-peat.

AppMan
May 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
ASU was an extremely deep team last season and the Mountaineers have a lot of depth everywhere but defensive line this season. The DL depth relates more to experience than a lack of talent.

...... until LSU transfer Tim Washington showed up in Boone.

bobbythekidd
May 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Tim Washington can't stop 3 guys every play of every game. It takes a team.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
a revenge upset to UNI. ;)

ok by me. :D

AppMan
May 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
ASU had 15 seniors that contributed on a regular basis last season.

AppMan
May 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Perhaps not, but toss Gary Tharrington, Anthony Williams, & Daniel Finnery into the mix and all of a sudden it gets a lot easier!

patssle
May 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I think ASU will be hot, but not hot hot hot. So I voted no.

The Cats
May 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I think ASU will be hot, but not hot hot hot. So I voted no.

Me too.....

xgiveadamnx

ronpayne
May 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM

If they put 3 guys on him, that will free up a lot of other players for some good ole fashioned devastation!

I vote yes - Armanti is incredible and with Richardson back, barring major injuries in the Michigan game (my biggest concern), I think ASU will do it a 3rd and probably final time, at least in the current run! The homer in me of course would love for it to go on for 3-4 more years, but I realistically think we've got one more in us before the rest of the SOCON catches up and trips us up!

gamesaver22

If we lose Edwards then we may be looking at 2 losses right there

Mr. C
Perhaps not, but toss Gary Tharrington, Anthony Williams, & Daniel Finnery into the mix and all of a sudden it gets a lot easier!
Daniel Finnerty is likely to be a backup next season. You forgot about speedy DE Tony Robertson, who was the unanimous choice among his teammates as the most improved player in spring camp. Right now, the DL would be Tony Robertson at LE, Anthony Williams and Tim Washington at DT and Gary Tharrington at RE. And a bunch of REALLY talented freshman and Finnerty backing them up.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
If we lose Edwards then we may be looking at 2 losses right there

You have the best backup QB in FCS with Trey Elder. QB, at least with the two-deep, is one of the deepest spots on the roster, along with WR and LB.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Tim Washington has never started a game of college football. He is one of those inexperienced, yet talented players.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
If they put 3 guys on him, that will free up a lot of other players for some good ole fashioned devastation!

I vote yes - Armanti is incredible and with Richardson back, barring major injuries in the Michigan game (my biggest concern), I think ASU will do it a 3rd and probably final time, at least in the current run! The homer in me of course would love for it to go on for 3-4 more years, but I realistically think we've got one more in us before the rest of the SOCON catches up and trips us up!

The only real significant injury I remember Appalachian State EVER suffering in a game with an FBS team was when Jermane Little broke his leg at LSU. Injuries can occur at any time, practices, scrimmages, games against Division II teams, etc. There really isn't any evidence that more injuries will occur against a team like Michigan than there was against Wake Forest, Clemson, Auburn, Hawaii, Wyoming, Kansas, LSU or North Carolina State.

Go...gate
May 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I voted "wait and see". They have a good club coming back.

blackfordpu
May 30th, 2007, 11:30 PM
odds are against it, I say no.

Tod
May 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I ignored the question, "Can they three-peat", and went for what I assumed the poll meant, "WILL they three-peat". My guess is no, but they certainly CAN.

:) :( ;)

Edit - "Ignored" was the wrong word. I "changed" it.