PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross the Stealth Candidate?

ngineer
May 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Article by Ed Laubach in the Easton Express-Times today that previews the Patriot League from the perspective that it won't be 'business as usual' this year with the old 'Big 3', and that the Crusaders will be a force to be dealt with in light of 5th year senior DB getting another year to boost the beleagured Holy Cross defense. We already know the Purple and White will be slinging the ball, but will they be able to score enough? See www.express-times.com

DFW HOYA
May 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
We already know the Purple and White will be slinging the ball, but will they be able to score enough?

The HC defense tends to give up more points as the season progresses, which usually helps teams like Lafayette and Colgate which play the Crusaders later in the season.

Go...gate
May 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think the PL is wide open this year. Let's face it, the league is in something of a transition and in need of a direction pertaining to its aid policies.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure where I'm picking the 'Cross just yet. That offense can put up some numbers, but my question is who steps up on defense - there's not an obvious Dan Adams at linebacker this year.

TheValleyRaider
May 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Their D is definately the big question mark coming into the season. To some degree, this surprises me given that wasn't Gilmore the D-Coordinater at Lehigh before moving to the Cross? I'm inclined to guess that they will once again challenge and make noise about the title, but fall short towards the end. However, I also have a good deal of difficulty picking someone I really like to take it from them (I've talked myself into Lehigh, but that's a lukewarm vote of confidence).

ngineer
May 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Their D is definately the big question mark coming into the season. To some degree, this surprises me given that wasn't Gilmore the D-Coordinater at Lehigh before moving to the Cross? I'm inclined to guess that they will once again challenge and make noise about the title, but fall short towards the end. However, I also have a good deal of difficulty picking someone I really like to take it from them (I've talked myself into Lehigh, but that's a lukewarm vote of confidence).

This being Gilmore's third season at Holy Cross, I would expect his D to become more aggressive, as he was at Lehigh. Personnel dictates how and what you can do on the field, and now that he's had some to time to recruit, he should be putting more of 'his stamp' on the scheme. We shall see..

JoltinJoe
May 29th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Great news. If the "big three" -- Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate -- are assumed to be in the mix and the media say that the stealth candidate is Holy Cross, that makes Fordham the true stealth choice.:)

Ivytalk
May 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'd like to see HC do well this year, but not at Harvard's expense!;)

LUHawker
May 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Last year HC was more of a stealth candidate than this year. They won't sneak up on anyone this season. Moreover, I think it is premature to call the demise of the PL triumverate (Lehigh, Lafayette & Colgate) just yet. HC's Randolph is very talented but he lacks a complete supporting cast at this point. I see HC challenging for third place in the league this year.

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure where I'm picking the 'Cross just yet. That offense can put up some numbers...
Really? When I saw them at G'town last year their offense looked like crap... then again maybe it was the Hoya defense that made them look that way, right Pop? xsmiley_wix

carney2
May 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM
In the opinion of one who knows absolutely nothing - namely me - the 'saders have more holes than a Swiss cheese: the offense is one dimensional, the defense is - well - lacking, and there is no indication that the Class of 1911 will provide much help. Ya gotta believe that the Patsy coaches have seen enough of Air Randolph to say "that aint happening to me again." The ship appears to be sinking. If not this year, then soon. At this point they are not in my top 4.

KAUMASS
May 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The UMass season opener should be a good indicator of what H.C. has this year.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
In the opinion of one who knows absolutely nothing - namely me - the 'saders have more holes than a Swiss cheese: the offense is one dimensional, the defense is - well - lacking, and there is no indication that the Class of 1911 will provide much help. Ya gotta believe that the Patsy coaches have seen enough of Air Randolph to say "that aint happening to me again." The ship appears to be sinking. If not this year, then soon. At this point they are not in my top 4.

I would think not.....xsmiley_wix xeyebrowx

LBPop
May 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Really? When I saw them at G'town last year their offense looked like crap... then again maybe it was the Hoya defense that made them look that way, right Pop? xsmiley_wix

Thanks, Sir Hen.
You know the Georgetown defense can be good at times...last year they frequently made the opposition look bad on first and second downs. But they consistently would make dumb mistakes on third and long. The Hoyas are always a threat to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. ;) xbawlingx

Ahh, but I have one more year as a Hoya Dad and there's nothing like spring optimism. xnodx

breezy
May 29th, 2007, 06:24 PM
As surprising as it may seem, the HC defense last year was actually improved over the year before. Unfortunately, it seemed quite vulnerable, especially to the run, as the D-line was quite undersized.

There is a lot of experience in the secondary and there are some good young linebackers. Even so, I would not classify pass defense as a strength of the team.

I think you will see a larger D-line this year. The players will be young but I think the defense against the run will be better. I think that overall the defense will be improved but still not overwhelming.

The answer to the HC offense last year was to pressure the QB. Lafayette laid back and Randolph burned them all day long. HC returns all but one of its primary receivers, its principal running backs, and its backup QB. Both running backs were banged up much of last year, but they can be very good if healthy. The big question is on the O-line -- 3 starters have graduated, but there are good replacements. If they can protect Randolph against pressure and open some holes for the RBs, watch out.

I also expect the kicking game to be quite a bit better.

Bottom line -- HC can contend again. Barring disastrous injuries, they will be near the top of the league. Those who do not think so are selling Gilmore and his recruits short.

carney2
May 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
The answer to the HC offense last year was to pressure the QB. Lafayette laid back and Randolph burned them all day long.

Amen. I still wake up at 3 AM from a nightmare over this one. If it had been my decision, somewhere in the 3rd quarter I would have been bringing guys from Cattell Street (two blocks from the stadium). Frank and John Loose, the defensive coordinator, were content to shoot a linebacker - maybe two - every once in a while. I confess to not being well versed in the intricacies of Xs and Os, but I left the stadium that afternoon asking if anyone could spell BRAIN DEAD.

This is the price we pay for having Tavani, I guess. For all of his marvelous attributes (boundless enthusiasm, great recruiter, outstanding motivator, program management, tell it like it is, etc., etc.), his game day decisions are not always the best. We can count on him jeopardizing, or downright losing, one game every year. This was the 2006 version. In 2005 it was Princeton. In 2004 he gave Lehigh one last chance to derail the momentum. In 2003,...

Sorry about that. I didn't really mean to digress and hijack this thread. This has been eating at my innards for so long that I just needed to vent.

ngineer
May 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
The 'thing' about HC is when you have an excellent thrower and some decent receivers, you are always dangerous, and barring bad weather, will always give the opposition fits. Last year in Worcester it rained and Lehigh just pounded the hell out of HC while HC couldn't get anything going offensively. Conversely, given a nice day the can move the ball all over the place as they did at Fisher last year.
I played on a high school team as a soph. wide receiver that had been the dormat for almost 10 years. We had a senior that year who had had grown 4 inches and could throw the ball 60 yards with ease, and we ended up playing for the championship on Thanksgiving---only to lose in the pouring rain 'cause we couldn't run the ball.
The QB? Don Strock of Va. Tech/Miami Dolphins/FIU fame...

LBPop
May 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM

And that's the rest of the story...

Paul Harvey...good day. ;)

Go...gate
May 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
The 'thing' about HC is when you have an excellent thrower and some decent receivers, you are always dangerous, and barring bad weather, will always give the opposition fits. Last year in Worcester it rained and Lehigh just pounded the hell out of HC while HC couldn't get anything going offensively. Conversely, given a nice day the can move the ball all over the place as they did at Fisher last year.
I played on a high school team as a soph. wide receiver that had been the dormat for almost 10 years. We had a senior that year who had had grown 4 inches and could throw the ball 60 yards with ease, and we ended up playing for the championship on Thanksgiving---only to lose in the pouring rain 'cause we couldn't run the ball.

That guy had an amazing ability to jump-start an ailing offense and he really seemed like a good man in interviews, etc. Glad he has also had success in the coaching ranks.