PDA

View Full Version : Most heartbreaking loss

65 Pard
May 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
What was the toughest loss your team suffered?

For me it was the Lehigh game in 1961 in which favored Lehigh came from behind to win on a late wounded duck field goal which hit the crossbar to beat a very game and overmanned Leopard squad at hostile Taylor Stadium....I will never forget that game and the raucus intensity and crowd noise.

We have managed to get even for that one recently, but it took a long time

NDSUFREAK
May 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Either "Kitty Litter Bowl" or the Minnesota game last year for me.

downbythebeach
May 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Not really a big game, but a few years ago against Wagner we (Saint Francis) were down three I think and had the ball at about the five. There was like 15 seconds and we threw a pass to the one. It was caught and our receiver tried either getting in for the score or gettting out of bound. He got out of bounds on what had to be the one inch line (everyone on our side thought he was in), but the officials ruled that his forward progress had already stopped. The clock kept running and we lost the game without getting a chance to kick the game tying field goal.

ucdtim17
May 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I wasn't around for Bloomsburg in '00 D2 playoffs, but I imagine that one stung.

NDSU last year sucked, but I turned off the radio with a minute left as I knew what was going to happen and had some catch-up drinking to do at the Stanford-USC game

OL FU
May 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM
1985 NC game, there are probably some that were worse but because it was the NC game it sits atop the rest.

Furman had a good lead at half-time and then Hammed to death in the second half ending with a last minute winning touchdown by the (well you probably know whoxnodx )

BisonBabe
May 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Either "Kitty Litter Bowl" or the Minnesota game last year for me.

I would have to go with the Minnesota game. It was a heartbreaker and one we could have and should have won. I hope that this year the game goes our way in all ways not just the stats.

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM
October 16, 2003 - Ryan Rossner of SFA made a 50+ yard kick as time expired after missing earlier in the night on a few opportunities if I am not mistaken, as close as 20ish yards to give SFA their only win over the Bearkats since 2000, 34-31.

That stunk! It was on television and of course, there were plenty of SFA fans in Huntsville that night as there always is...

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Asking this of a Furman fan could bring hours of discussion. It seems nearly every loss we've suffered in the past 6 years has been a nailbiter.

bulldog10jw
May 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
The standard reply would be either the 29-29 game with Harvard in 1968 (a tie that was more like a loss) or the 21-16 loss to H in 1974. Both times Yale was undefeated. However, I don't think I was ever more down than after the 30-24 Triple OT loss to Harvard in 2005. In addition to blowing an 18 point lead they fumbled away a chance to win in OT #2.

slycat
May 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
2005 semi final loss to UNI. we had the chance to win then our coach took "the knee" xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

went to OT and just when i thought we had it won again an int was thrown.

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I have a few, the first was in 2003 against Alcorn State, it was a back and forth shootout. We had a 34-29 lead late in the fourth quarter. We appeared to have their QB sacked for a game ending loss, but he wiggled loose and threw a touchdown to win the game and end out undefeated season. xbawlingx
2nd, in 2000 against Florida A&M we had fourth and goal on the 1 yard line and elected to kick a field goal. The Rattlers took our SQUIB kick and drove far enough to kick a game winning field goal and win 50-49. xbawlingx
I don't want to even talk about the loss to Prairie View this year. xbawlingx xbawlingx

crunifan
May 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM
The 2005 National Championship. UNI led for about 3/4th of the game and then the fumble...

Go...gate
May 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Navy ('98), Army ('85), Western Carolina ('83 [first round of FCS Playoffs]), Delaware ('77 [spoiled an undefeated season and bowl bid] and '82 [lost in a heartbreaker in the FCS National Quarterfinal]), Cornell ('66 [spoiled an undefeated season]), Syracuse ([2-3 times in the past century, spoiling at least one undefeated season, though Colgate leads the all-time series]).

Eyes of Old Main
May 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
2002 Furman game. AKA "The Mud Bowl".

Wofford had already beaten two top 10 teams on the road (Georgia Southern and Appalachian State) and needed a home win against arch-rival Furman for a share of the SoCon title and the league's autobid.

Furman lead most of the game, Wofford came back to take a lead with just a few minutes left and then the Paladins drove down and scored a go ahead TD with about :30 left. Damn that Brian Bratton...

Anyway, the loss cost Wofford the title, the autobid, and ultimately the playoffs. But, it did help coin the term "Woofed" and it also helped provide the focus and determination shown in 2003 when Wofford dominated the SoCon. It still hurt then and now, though.

TheBisonator
May 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The hardest one I personally had to swallow was the Minnesota game. I sat in front of a few UM students in the upper deck 50-yard line, and they were razzing me in the 2nd and 3rd quarters like they were Texas or some sh** like that. They didn't realise that their team was getting pounded by little old NDSU. Then I couldn't take it anymore, and when we kicked a field goal in the 3rd quarter to take a 6-3 lead, I yelled to them in front of me, "YOU'RE LOSING 6-3 TO A I-AA SCHOOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

That was a nice moment, though.:D

NDSUFREAK
May 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
The hardest one I personally had to swallow was the Minnesota game. I sat in front of a few UM students in the upper deck 50-yard line, and they were razzing me in the 2nd and 3rd quarters like they were Texas or some sh** like that. They didn't realise that their team was getting pounded by little old NDSU. Then I couldn't take it anymore, and when we kicked a field goal in the 3rd quarter to take a 6-3 lead, I yelled to them in front of me, "YOU'RE LOSING 6-3 TO A I-AA SCHOOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

You had enough voice to yell at them at that period?? I probably would have whispered it the way it was in the 1st half with my throat. :D :D

GeeWiz
May 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
xbangx

I'm not touching this one. NU has had so many I wouldn't know where to begin ...

Grizo406
May 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Our 10-7 loss to Montana State in 2002. That one STILL hurts!xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

McTailGator
May 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
What was the toughest loss your team suffered?

For me it was the Lehigh game in 1961 in which favored Lehigh came from behind to win on a late wounded duck field goal which hit the crossbar to beat a very game and overmanned Leopard squad at hostile Taylor Stadium....I will never forget that game and the raucus intensity and crowd noise.

We have managed to get even for that one recently, but it took a long time

1st Place = 1997 National Championship Lost to Youngstown St. Dropped pass in the endzone was the difference.

2nd place = 1994 Quarter final loss to Montana on a field goal as time expired, after storming back to take the lead in a snow storm in the mud.

3rd Place = 1995 Semi-Final loss to Chad Pennington led Marshall in Lake Charles. McNeese laid an egg in that game. But that was the best team McNeese had fielded as a member of FCS/I-AA.

poly51
May 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Cal Poly at Montana November 4, 2006 10-9.

Peems
May 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Our 10-7 loss to Montana State in 2002. That one STILL hurts!xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

don't bring it up. I still remember the look on my face and all those around me when the fake punt with trey young failed. Losing in the semis this year they way we did, hurt a lot too. just when you thought the tide had turned in the favor of the griz, INT. xsmhx

Uncle Buck
May 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM
1994 against Towson, we were 7-0 non-scholly trying to make a name for ourselves when we lost 24-21. Wayne Chrebet had a phantom holding call bring back what would have been the go ahead score with about 3 minutes to play. Man that game sucked.

grizband
May 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
2004 Championship Game vs JMU:

After the first quarter, Griz led 7-0, and had out gained the Dukes 120 yards to -2. We were a couple of missed field goals and a dropped pass by Jon Talmage in the endzone away from our 3rd national title. I won't take anything away from JMU, but that loss still hurts. xbawlingx

NDSUFREAK
May 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
oh yeah, and another tough loss was against und in 2003 in gf. it was our last year in DII and we were down 21-7 i believe at halftime. we then stormed back to tie it at 21-21 in the 4th. it went to over time at und scored a td. it was 28-21 with the BISON having a 4 & 1. gorder handed it off to chapman i believe and was stuffed at the goal line. even though that rivalry is in the past (for now) it was a shot through the heart to be that close and then fail to get it.

ngineer
May 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Hard to say which was most 'heartbreaking'. There have been some close losses to Lafayette, like 2005, that make them tough. But there have been some others, like the one-point loss to national champ JMU in the first round of the playoffs, when JMU was given a second set of downs from the Lehigh 1 after we had already held them. And I remember a stinging one point loss to Delaware in 1982 on a last second td pass, 20-19, when there was a controversial call of putting one second back on the clock--a similar fate the befell the Brown and White against Army at Michie Stadium in 1980 when the refs put another second back on the clock and the Black Knights kicked a 50+ yard fg to tie us, 24-24. If felt like a loss.

bjtheflamesfan
May 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I can think of at least 5 games from the nightmarish 2005 season (and many of the other Flamefans that post around here would know which ones Id be talking about)

Ivytalk
May 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM
About 20 years ago, Princeton beat us 11-6 on a runback of a free kick after Harvard took a safety with a 6-3 lead. Some guy named Urquhart. Typical Princeton name.xrolleyesx xsmhx

I don't remember any losses to Yale that were quite that tough, with the possible exception of the '99 Game when Eric Johnson caught about 21 passes against us, including the game-winner with under a minute left.

UNHWildCats
May 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
most heartbreaking last year was Northeastern (god damn ^%&*&% 2-point conversion) and both UMass games.....

UNHWildCats
May 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM
2005 semi final loss to UNI. we had the chance to win then our coach took "the knee" xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Ditto for UNH out gaining them in yards atleast 3-1 xbawlingx xbawlingx

bulldog10jw
May 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I don't remember any losses to Yale that were quite that tough, with the possible exception of the '99 Game when Eric Johnson caught about 21 passes against us including the game-winnerwith under a minute left.

Probably because for some reason when Harvard is favored over Yale, you almost always win. When Yale is favored, it's a tossup. That's just seems to be the way the rivalry has gone, at least in my memory.xbangx

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
don't bring it up. I still remember the look on my face and all those around me when the fake punt with trey young failed. Losing in the semis this year they way we did, hurt a lot too. just when you thought the tide had turned in the favor of the griz, INT. xsmhx

I have to agree with the Umass one. It was such an electric atmoshpere in the stadium that night, and if Swogger had thrown that pass about five feet farther it would have been on to Chatty. xbawlingx Umass played the better game overall, though.

grizband
May 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Some other heartbreaking Griz losses:

1993:
- Delaware (49-48) #15 Hens beat #2 Griz in this playoff game
*some older Griz posters might be able to better illustrate the heartbreak this game brought to the Griz, as this was before my time

2002:
- E. Wash. (30-21) broke our 24 game winning streak
- MSU (10-7) Cats broke our 16 game "Streak" in the midst of a blizzard

2003:
- W. Ill. (43-40) All-everything kicker Chris Snyder's 33 fg attempt was blocked in OT

thirdgendin
May 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
As bad as the '02 App State game was, I still have to vote for the 1985 National Championship game due the the magnitude of the game. I believe we were up 28-6 at one point before falling 44-42 on a TD with 8 seconds left.

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 11:32 PM
The loss that really sticks with me was in 2005 when PSU beat us on a last second fumble recovery. Had MSU won that game, they would have been in the playoffs.xsmhx

JMG1MON
May 27th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Not sure of any prior to me being at Monmouth (prior to the '98 season). But these are the 2 since I have been following.

1) ECAC championship game in 2003 vs. Duquesne. Lost lead early in 4th quarter and we couldn't mount a drive into field goal range to win it after that.

2) Lafayette game in 2002 (would be number one if not for the fact that this wasn't the ECAC championship game). Monmouth led almost all game and then lost the lead with a little more than a minute left. Monmouth drives into field goal range and misses a game winning 45 yard field goal in the closing seconds

JMG1MON
May 27th, 2007, 11:59 PM
With the most heartbreaking loss thread going, I thought I would start one for your team's greatest comeback.

For Monmouth, has to be the 2004 RMU game. Monmouth gives up the lead with 23 seconds left in the game to trail 27-23. RMU squib kicks and Monmouth takes over at its own 37. Incomplete pass on first down. On second down, Monmouth completes a 31 yard pass to keep its hopes alive for one last throw. On the final play, Boland throws one into the endzon, gets tipped by Miles Austin, into the hands of our wideout to win the game 29-27. My only regret is that I was in AC at the time and couldn't hear the play by play.

VT Wildcat Fan53
May 28th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Nov, 1977. UMASS 19, UNH 6. Battle for the playoffs and Yankee Conf Title. UNH 8-1, 23,000 fans stuffed in 13,000 seat Cowell Stadium, ...Televised around New England,... game of the decade,.... Not scoring in 3 times inside the 10 yard line, ... UMASS scoring late to put game out of reach, ... Getting destroyed by UMASS NT Phil Popoulo, ..... xbawlingx

Close 2nd was Nov, 1975. 7-1 UNH in a 17-12 Loss to Springfield College despite outgaining the then "Indians" by about 3-1. Main culprit was another Nose Tackle, too! Beating UMASS the following week, then moving on to playoffs and beating Lehigh 35-21 after the Engineers were awarded the Lambert Trophy during the week prior to the game sort of took the sting out of that one, though.

#3 was 8-0 UNH (#1 team in nation) losing at URI on Parents Day by 21-20 on messed up PAT. (October , 1977)

Of course, last year's twin last second losses to the Evil Empire & the Hatchell brothers weren't much fun, either.

kardplayer
May 28th, 2007, 01:13 AM
As a Lehigh fan since 1990...

The hardest game to get over was the 27-21 playoff loss to UMass back in 1998. That was Lehigh's first playoff appearance and despite Marcel Shipp running wild, the Mountain Hawks had 4 shots at the end zone to win the game.

That was a looong drive home, and was made only worse when UMass went on to win the national championship that year.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 01:27 AM
2005 NC xsmhx

Grizalltheway
May 28th, 2007, 03:49 AM
The loss that really sticks with me was in 2005 when PSU beat us on a last second fumble recovery. Had MSU won that game, they would have been in the playoffs.xsmhx

I seem to recall the Griz kicking a last second field goal against the Cats sometime in the 90's to keep the streak alive. That one has to sting worse than a loss to PSU. :D

Gil Dobie
May 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
oh yeah, and another tough loss was against und in 2003 in gf. it was our last year in DII and we were down 21-7 i believe at halftime. we then stormed back to tie it at 21-21 in the 4th. it went to over time at und scored a td. it was 28-21 with the BISON having a 4 & 1. gorder handed it off to chapman i believe and was stuffed at the goal line. even though that rivalry is in the past (for now) it was a shot through the heart to be that close and then fail to get it.

Stauss Handing off to Rod Malone. Steffes had broken his leg earlier in the game.

I'd say the 1984 DII Championship game against Troy St. Troy St was out of time-outs, and set up and kicked a 50 yard field goal as time ran out, and won the championship. Had they missed, the Bison would have 4 consecutive championships on their DII resume.

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Stauss Handing off to Rod Malone. Steffes had broken his leg earlier in the game.

I'd say the 1984 DII Championship game against Troy St. Troy St was out of time-outs, and set up and kicked a 50 yard field goal as time ran out, and won the championship. Had they missed, the Bison would have 4 consecutive championships on their DII resume.

xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx

WrenFGun
May 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Toughest loss for me was the 2005 Quarterfinal game against UNI. UNH had something like six fumbles and ran an entirely different offence than I've ever seen in trying to win that game. We drove the ball at will until we got to the RZ, and then it was disaster. Scored 21 points in something like 7 minutes, only to lose, 24-21. I believe UNH was the #1 overall seed and would have had a home game had they beaten UNI. UNI played more fundamentally sound, but it seemed obvious to me that UNH had more talent.

I will ehco the choices of the Northeastern game and both UMass losses. The Northeastern game stings because of our idiot coach calling a timeout trying to ice the kicker on an XP in OT. Meanwhile, they came back out and easily get the 2 PT conversion. The Massachusetts' games will forever haunt me, though we were outplayed decidedly in the first matchup. The second one was pretty even, but we just couldn't come up huge. That David Ball sideline grab is still a first down to me. :(

This is less of a big deal, but in 2004 when Montana TROUNCED us in the quarters after our amazing victory @GSU, I was very miserable.

Libertine
May 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
EKU, 2002: Enduring another horrible season, LU benches the starting QB and starts Kyle Painter, a redshirt freshman against nationally-ranked Eastern Kentucky. LU somehow finds itself up 28-6 going into the 4th and perhaps the program has turned a corner. Unfortunately, on the opening kickoff of the second half, we had lost our #1 DB, (Erick Harris, now w/ the Eagles) our best blocking back (Sam Gado, now w/ the Texans) and, most importantly, the kicker/punter all to injury on the same play. With 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter, EKU pins LU deep in its own territory. Time to punt. Unfortunately, that particular year, we didn't have a backup punter or kicker. The coaches ask for volunteers and a freshman safety pipes up that he punted one year in high school. He gets sent out there and unleashes a punt that sails a good 30 yards through the air. Short drive and TD, EKU. They kickoff and, again, pins LU deep. Again, the freshman goes out and rips off a punt, this one only slightly better. Again, a short drive and now it's 28-20, LU with about 5 minutes left. EKU kicks off and forces a 3rd & long. Painter drops back to pass and throws his only bad pass of the day which is promptly picked off and returned for an EKU TD. They convert the deuce and, with about 3 minutes left, the score is tied, 28-28. Liberty takes the kickoff and marches drives the field, determined to pull this one out. With just a few ticks left, LU lines up for what should be a simple 25-yard FG to win the game. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, there is no backup kicker and the starter is on the sidelines w/ a concussion so severe that he can't really see straight, doesn't recognize some of his own teammates and will not be able to remember where some his classes are for the next week or so. Still, there is no alternative so he lines up and the coach tells him to just kick the ball straight. Unfortunately, the ball is spotted on the left hash. The snap is clean and the confused kicker boots the ball straight and true -- right down the left hashmark. Wide left. Overtime. EKU takes the ball and CJ Hudson goes right up the middle on the first play to put EKU up 35-28. Liberty takes the field and EKU's defense holds on 4th & 1 inside the 5. Ball game. EKU wins and Roy Kidd gets win #314. Liberty is devastated and doesn't win a game the rest of the year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Nov, 1977. UMASS 19, UNH 6. Battle for the playoffs and Yankee Conf Title. UNH 8-1, 23,000 fans stuffed in 13,000 seat Cowell Stadium, ...Televised around New England,... game of the decade,.... Not scoring in 3 times inside the 10 yard line, ... UMASS scoring late to put game out of reach, ... Getting destroyed by UMASS NT Phil Popoulo, ..... xbawlingx

Close 2nd was Nov, 1975. 7-1 UNH in a 17-12 Loss to Springfield College despite outgaining the then "Indians" by about 3-1. Main culprit was another Nose Tackle, too! Beating UMASS the following week, then moving on to playoffs and beating Lehigh 35-21 after the Engineers were awarded the Lambert Trophy during the week prior to the game sort of took the sting out of that one, though.

#3 was 8-0 UNH (#1 team in nation) losing at URI on Parents Day by 21-20 on messed up PAT. (October , 1977)

Of course, last year's twin last second losses to the Evil Empire & the Hatchell brothers weren't much fun, either.

Interesting recollections 53!!! A couple of those games crossed my mind too when I saw this thread. I eliminated the Springfield game because it turned out to be a non-factor. No matter how shocking it was, it didn't impact the playoffs because the auto-bid could still be won. But I'm not going to lie, I really didn't like our chances against UMass after that loss! But with the dominance that UMass had over UNH for years (last UNH win was 1968), that 1975 14-11 win is still one of my all-time best UNH experiences.

I actually had given your 2nd choice a more heartbreaking loss status than your 1st choice. I don't know why, but I have few memories of that 19-6 loss. I must have really erased it from the memory banks for self-preservation!! xlolx xlolx I too recall that UNH was rated #1 in D-II at that time and a decided favorite over the Rams. I was so upset after that game that I didn't talk to my sister most of the ride home from Kingston! Reading your description I realize that the UMass loss really was a "more heartbreaking" loss.

But for me, the hands down most heartbreaking loss ever was the playoff loss to Northern Iowa. UNH had home field guaranteed for the next playoff game in mid-December in NH!! The team making so many uncharacteristic mistakes that day. I recall being at the basketball game later that night, sitting through it like a zombie, when someone said to me "you're not into the game tonight are you?". I was depressed for days after that game.

It was somewhat odd, but last year's playoff loss to UMass didn't affect me anywhere near as much as these other losses. I left the field thinking we had given our all and that UMass just had our number.

bluehenbillk
May 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
1997 Semi-Final game against McNeese, known as the "Knock it Down" game. UD up by 1 with a minute left & McNeese on 4th & 2 throws a duck out to the flat that our CB Dominic Banks mistimes & the TE catches the ball for a 1st down & they drive to kick a game winning FG & win by 2 in the Tub.

JaxSinfonian
May 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Sept. 1, 2005. Nine months after an embarrassing 49-7 first-round playoff loss at Furman, the #2 Paladins head to Jacksonville for the season opener, at which #20 JSU is showing off a big field improvement project complete with new turf. There's a big crowd on hand for a Thursday night game on regional TV, and the place is sparkling. The Gamecocks get down by three at halftime, but hang tight (with a little help from some FU miscues) and battle their way back to a four-point lead with 1:27 left to play. Ingle Martin then engineers a 65-yard drive to the Jax State 9, and lobs a pass into the endzone that falls incomplete. On the next play, with six seconds on the clock, JSU defenders break through the line and get a hand on Martin as his launching his next attempt, but he gets just enough motion that it's an incomplete pass and not a fumble. Still, the clock expires, and the place goes nuts as JSU appears to have pulled off the upset. But the officials (correctly) put one second back on the clock. That's all the time Martin needs, and he tosses one to a wide-open Justin Stepp. 37-35. Game over. Crowd stunned. Hearts broken.

You can watch it all here (I can't bear to): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

Heartbreaking loss #2:
One year later, this time back at Furman. JSU, after a brilliant defensive game, is leading 13-10 in the final minutes. But JSU botches coverage on the kickoff after a field goal, and Furman manages another last-minute drive, getting a touchdown pass into the endzone with 28 seconds to play. Final 17-13.

I hate Furman.

HiHiYikas
May 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Probably the 16-19 OT loss to Montana in the 2000 semifinals. That's what sticks out in my memory.

Losing in the 1987 semi's to Marshall, after beating them in the regular season, must have really stung as well.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Toughest loss for me was the 2005 Quarterfinal game against UNI. UNH had something like six fumbles and ran an entirely different offence than I've ever seen in trying to win that game. We drove the ball at will until we got to the RZ, and then it was disaster. Scored 21 points in something like 7 minutes, only to lose, 24-21. I believe UNH was the #1 overall seed and would have had a home game had they beaten UNI. UNI played more fundamentally sound, but it seemed obvious to me that UNH had more talent.

The end of that game was very scary. xeekx

Jackluv
May 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
2006 NAU vs. MSU, UM and PSU

every game were were down by at least 14 and came storming back to lose 3 very close games.

McNeese75
May 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
1997 Semi-Final game against McNeese, known as the "Knock it Down" game. UD up by 1 with a minute left & McNeese on 4th & 2 throws a duck out to the flat that our CB Dominic Banks mistimes & the TE catches the ball for a 1st down & they drive to kick a game winning FG & win by 2 in the Tub.

That same TE dropped a wide open pass in the endzone the following week against YSU in a NC game we lost by 2 xbawlingx

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM

wow...that would suck.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
That same TE dropped a wide open pass in the endzone the following week against YSU in a NC game we lost by 2 xbawlingx

that's interesting.

HiHiYikas
May 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
The 2004 loss to Western Carolina was rough, too. Apps led 13-6 after three quarters, WCU rallied for a 30-27 win.

rokamortis
May 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM
definitely in 2005 to Charleston Southern.

tom189
May 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
For Wofford it was 8 days after the Furman loss in the mud in 02 when the Terriers were cheated by the playoff selectors

thirdgendin
May 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
For Wofford it was 8 days after the Furman loss in the mud in 02 when the Terriers were cheated by the playoff selectors

xbawlingx xbawlingx

I always thought it was the VMI loss that kept you out. xnodx xlolx

In all fairness, the SoCon should've had four teams included that season.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
The "MILLIONS & MILLIONS" of times we found a way to lose to McNeese in the End xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Ex: This past season when it seemed like we had the game all but won. McNeese ends up driving down the field and tying the game on a FG at the end of the 4th.....Ended up losing 29-26 in OT

Runner Up: 1998 Semifinals:

Umass won 41-31

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Some other heartbreaking Griz losses:

1993:
- Delaware (49-48) #15 Hens beat #2 Griz in this playoff game
*some older Griz posters might be able to better illustrate the heartbreak this game brought to the Griz, as this was before my time

2002:
- E. Wash. (30-21) broke our 24 game winning streak
- MSU (10-7) Cats broke our 16 game "Streak" in the midst of a blizzard

2003:
- W. Ill. (43-40) All-everything kicker Chris Snyder's 33 fg attempt was blocked in OT

Damn you, Grizband! Those losses ALL SUCKED!!!! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I've seen some wild finishes over the 30 years I've been covering football. And some of them didn't even involve Furman and Appalachian State.

As a fan, the most heartbreaking one was when Fresno State's arch-rival San Jose State scored two TDs (recovering an onside kick in-between the scores) in the final 50 seconds or so to beat us 18-17 and earn a bowl bid. It kind of reminded me of the 1968 Yale-Harvard 29-29 tie, which I saw on TV (I can now feel Yale's pain).

Of course, I doubt I'll ever witness a more bizarre finish than the Miracle on the Mountain when Appalachian State beat Furman 16-15 with seven seconds left. I am still amazed that Furman went for two points after scoring the go-ahead TD and I am even more amazed that Josh Jeffries had the smarts to drop into coverage from his DE position, knowing that rushing the passer, Billy Napier, wouldn't do any good. A little known fact is that Jeffries' No. 58 jersey from that game is sitting about two feet away from me, in my room, as I write this. That was the best finish to ANY college football game since Cal's player ran over the Stanford trombone player in the end zone to finish that seven-lateral play with a game-winning TD.

In 1994, I saw heartbreak from two teams in overtime in back-to-back weeks. In the final game of the regular season, Appalachian State was playing 0-10 VMI, needing a win to clinch the auto-bid for the Southern Conference and a home playoff game. Thomas Haskins ran for over 200 yards that day and ASU was lucky to come from behind to force OT at 23-all. In OT, VMI kicks a field goal and ASU promptly drives inside the Keydet five before Scott Satterfield throws an interception to end the game in what had to be the greatest upset in SoCon football history.

So it is a week later in New Hampshire and the Wildcats are stopping ASU cold (no pun intended on a day where my computer froze in Cowell Stadium's open-air press box). UNH is moving the ball, but is unable to score more than 10 points. Finally, ASU manages to score a touchdown and ties it at 10-10 and eventually the games moves to OT. In OT, ASU FB Alwin Lance goes off-tackle on the first play and is untouched in a 25-yard romp into the end zone to make it 17-10. On UNH's first play in OT, this back for the Wildcats who hadn't fumbled in TWO YEARS is hit by Dexter Coakley and fumbles the ball. ASU's All-American defensive end Chip Miller recovered the ball and the game was over in stunning fashion. I couldn't believe how quiet the crowd was as it quickly left Cowell Stadium.

Another disappointment for Appalachian State came in 1995. The Mountaineers were 12-0 and needed one or two first downs to clinch a 17-13 victory over Stephen F. Austin in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. Scott Satterfield comes up short on a third and two option play and ASU's normally reliable punter Allen Guinn shanked a 29-yard punt. On the next play, SFA QB James Ritchie disobeyed his instructions not to audible and checks off on a full blitz. He gets the ball away just before he is buried by Coakley and Joe DiBernardo and puts the ball just over the fingertips of ASU's 5-9 CB Elando Johnson, who was only playing because All-American Matt Stevens had blown out his right knee. Chris Jefferson hauled in the pass for a 49-yard gain to turn the tide of the game. Leonard Harris scored a TD to give the Lumberjacks the lead and then after gambling unsuccessfully on a fourth-down play, ASU turned the ball back over to SFA and Harris scored again to make it 27-17.

The Montana-Appalachian State game in 2000 had both sides on the edges of their seats. Troy Albea nearly won it for ASU on a fourth and long play when he took a tunnel screen, cut against the grain and broke the play to the 10-yard line before a Griz defender barely knocked him out of bounds to save a TD. Then, Montana's safety tipped away a Joe Burchette that was headed to Rashad Slade in the back of the end zone. The safety leaped backwards and got one finger on the ball to deflect it. Of course, then the Griz celebrated when Jimmy Farris hauled in the fade route in the corner of the end zone for a 19-16 victory in OT after ASU had gone ahead with a field goal. No matter how that game finished, someone was going to leave disappointed.

Eagle22
May 29th, 2007, 02:16 AM
2001 semi-final matchup vs. Furman. Had beaten Furman 20-10 a few weeks prior in a matchup of top 5 teams. Started out okay, but screwed up the second half kickoff, turning the ball over. Furman scores quickly. Next series, GSU fumbles. Next play, Furman scores on a skinny post. AP hardly touches the ball in the fourth quarter. First loss at Paulson in the playoffs, first loss in a semi-final matchup.

Heartbreak revisited in 2002 semi-final matchup vs. WKU. Beaten all game, GSU storms back to take a 28-24 lead with just over 3 minutes remaining. WKU converts a couple of 4th down plays, and takes the lead with less than 40 seconds left in the game. Eagles attempt a 53 yd FG which falls just short. Game over, 2nd loss in Paulson in the semi's.

The Gadfly
May 29th, 2007, 02:34 AM
definitely in 2005 to Charleston Southern.

Holy crap that sucked!

Grizalltheway
May 29th, 2007, 03:51 AM
2001 semi-final matchup vs. Furman. Had beaten Furman 20-10 a few weeks prior in a matchup of top 5 teams. Started out okay, but screwed up the second half kickoff, turning the ball over. Furman scores quickly. Next series, GSU fumbles. Next play, Furman scores on a skinny post. AP hardly touches the ball in the fourth quarter. First loss at Paulson in the playoffs, first loss in a semi-final matchup.

Heartbreak revisited in 2002 semi-final matchup vs. WKU. Beaten all game, GSU storms back to take a 28-24 lead with just over 3 minutes remaining. WKU converts a couple of 4th down plays, and takes the lead with less than 40 seconds left in the game. Eagles attempt a 53 yd FG which falls just short. Game over, 2nd loss in Paulson in the semi's.

Don't worry, you would have lost to us anyway. :p

Eagle22
May 29th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Not so sure. AP and J.R. Revere were ready for an encore performance from 2000 :)

Had our third string center not tried to field a short kickoff by backing up, things might have turned out differently. The ball was recovered about five feet away from me standing on the sidelines. Paul Johnson was in the corner of the coaching area, making up words I didn't know existed. I don't think I ever saw him that mad either before or after that.

andy7171
May 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM
1993 We ran up a 28-7 lead on Howard at halftime. Coaches got over conservative and Howard QB Jay "Sky" Walker heated up with WR "Flea" and ran a WR screen all second half on us. As time expired, they ran the play one more time from the 25 yard line and scored with no time on the clock. Howard wins 44-42.
Howard went on to go 10-0 that year. We went 8-2.

It still hurts.

gr8ness97
May 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
losing to NC Central the season before last by a score in the final seconds in our last year in DII still stings today

last year, it was the same thing with FAMU and not having enough offense to score anything against Bethune-Cookman and losing 10-6

Minuteman87
May 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Gee, the 2006 NC ya think?
I've already blocked out the score.
Yeah we had a great season, and yeah we lost to the better team, but the more important the game, the more disappointing the loss.

1997's 33-8 loss to BU also ranks up there. That was BU's last season and the program was in disarray. They finished 1-10 that year and UMass finished 2-9. We will forever be BU's final victim (unless they resurrect the program). The good news is that the next year we won it all against the unbeaten, unbeatable, invincible, unstoppable, irrepressable, mighty GSU Eagles. :)

MYTAPPY
May 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM
The one point playoff loss at home to Maine ranks right up there.
xoopsx

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Is the definition of a heartbreaking loss necessarily losing by a close score? Or can it be a blowout and seeing how far down your program has sunk? If it can be either I'll go with the latter of the two and say that the 2006 loss to UNH by the score of 63-21 was heartbreaking because it was witness to how progressively bad our program has become.

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Is the definition of a heartbreaking loss necessarily losing by a close score? Or can it be a blowout and seeing how far down your program has sunk? If it can be either I'll go with the latter of the two and say that the 2006 loss to UNH by the score of 63-21 was heartbreaking because it was witness to how progressively bad our program has become.

Using that definition, being undefeated and ranked in 1999, making a trip to Tallahassee to play the Rattlers and getting dismantled 65-18. Two early fumbles for TDs and trailing 42-0 at half is very heartbreaking. Really ruined the season for me xnonono2x

Ivytalk
May 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Using that definition, being undefeated and ranked in 1999, making a trip to Tallahassee to play the Rattlers and getting dismantled 65-18. Two early fumbles for TDs and trailing 42-0 at half is very heartbreaking. Really ruined the season for me xnonono2x

Good point, 813. In 2002, Harvard was undefeated in League play going into the Penn game at Franklin Field, which game was on ESPN that day. We got killed, 44-9. Sucked big time.xsmhx

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Good point, 813. In 2002, Harvard was undefeated in League play going into the Penn game at Franklin Field, which game was on ESPN that day. We got killed, 44-9. Sucked big time.xsmhx
That's a bad feeling, especially when you turn on the radio and you hear the score is 42-0 and it sounds like a morgue in the booth. Or in the closing seconds you can hear the opposing coaches on the air yelling "Air it Out" with less than a minute to play.

Jag4Life
May 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
That's a bad feeling, especially when you turn on the radio and you hear the score is 42-0 and it sounds like a morgue in the booth. Or in the closing seconds you can hear the opposing coaches on the air yelling "Air it Out" with less than a minute to play.

I remember that year, but they should remember last time we played them in 2001, we are going to kill them this year.

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
If I go to a game and see URI lose a close game, which is probably the text book definition for a heartbreaking loss, I actually don't feel too bad. If the game was close, the team played well and lost in the final minutes or seconds it initially stings but once I leave Meade Stadium I feel that it was an afternoon well spent watching a competetive game, if it was a road game then I feel it was worth the trip. However when we lose games by 4 or 5 TD's then I leave the stadium thinking my time and money could have been spent elsewhere doing something more constructive or fun on a Saturday afternoon in the fall. THAT'S heartbreaking.

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I remember that year, but they should remember last time we played them in 2001, we are going to kill them this year.

It should be a good year. Their offense is explosive, they have a good QB.

UNH 40
May 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM
November 2003 at UNH. We were beating Delaware 21-15 (who was undefeated and ranked #1 in the country at the time and eventually went on to pound everybody on the road to a national championship), with 2:00 minutes remaining. Delaware scored a quick TD to make it 22-21. We had a great kick return and a couple of plays to get us in field goal range. I was on the field for the kick, it looked as though it had just made it through to the inside of the right upright and was good. The refs saw it different and called no good. As we walked off the field Delaware players said that they believed the kick was good as well.

It was a Very important game for UNH football, since that day UNH has gone 34-10.

Ivytalk
May 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
If I go to a game and see URI lose a close game, which is probably the text book definition for a heartbreaking loss, I actually don't feel too bad. If the game was close, the team played well and lost in the final minutes or seconds it initially stings but once I leave Meade Stadium I feel that it was an afternoon well spent watching a competetive game, if it was a road game then I feel it was worth the trip. However when we lose games by 4 or 5 TD's then I leave the stadium thinking my time and money could have been spent elsewhere doing something more constructive or fun on a Saturday afternoon in the fall. THAT'S heartbreaking.

One of the best descriptions of college football fandom (fanship? fanhood?) that I've ever read!xthumbsupx xbowx

Jag4Life
May 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
It should be a good year. Their offense is explosive, they have a good QB.I know, but what do they have that we don't have or can't get? We have talented QBs also not just 1, but 3 and if JC returns it could be 4. :D :D Our DBs are well prepared though!!!! xwhistlex xwhistlex

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I know, but what do they have that we don't have or can't get? We have talented QBs also not just 1, but 3 and if JC returns it could be 4. :D :D Our DBs are well prepared though!!!! xwhistlex xwhistlex
We need to run the ball to win. And get more depth on the lines.

chrisattsu
May 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
It has to be "the Knee" during the 2005 Semi Final Game.

Jag4Life
May 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM
We need to run the ball to win. And get more depth on the lines.

Yeah, but we are deep at the defensive line position. We recruited about 3 or 4 OL. They all are good especially Edward Collins from Northeast!!!!

pennstlbu
May 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Too many as a Griz fan...but here's a few more that haven't been mentioned:

1997 loss to McNeese St. in the 1st round 19-14 on a last minute TD. Thinking that that was Jason Crebo's last game is tough enough.

1999 loss to Youngstown St. in the 1st round 30-27. Kris Heppner slips and misses a game tying FG at the end of the game. That offense that year was lethal and could have gone all the way.

2002 loss to McNeese St. in the Quarters 24-20. I wasn't able to watch the game but followed it online and was sure the Griz were going to pull away with the game, but McNeese instead comes back in the 2nd half to win it.

blukeys
May 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM

BHBK you left out the best part. McNeese had a 4th and 1 in Delaware territory. McNeese chose to go for it and were stuffed big time with no gain. Ball and ball game Delaware but wait there was a flag! Illegal procedure MCNEESE!!!!!!!! The penalty occurred before the snap and so McNeese gets another down with a five yard backup. McNeese brings out their very good field goal kicker who nails a 45+ yarder to win the game.

As bad as this loss was my short list includes:

1969 Nova
1970 Nova
1971 Temple
1978 Eastern Illinois 10-9 loss against an inferior team in titile game
1982 EKU title game. EKU runs back a blocked field goal for a TD. time runs out on our offense at the end of the game we lose 17-14
2006 Albany: Dumbest offensive game plan of all time by the UD coaching staff. Don't throw against a suspect secondary till the 4th quarter and down by 10 with little time left. The coaches definitely owned this one.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Too many as a Griz fan...but here's a few more that haven't been mentioned:

1999 loss to Youngstown St. in the 1st round 30-27. Kris Heppner slips and misses a game tying FG at the end of the game. That offense that year was lethal and could have gone all the way.

Sucks to be that guy.

DallasNeck
May 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
How about the playoff game in 2003 when Montana lost 43-40 in the first round to WIU. It happened in overtime by way of a blocked field goal. Sorry, livin in the past since we haven't done anything in the three years since.

KJ Eagle
May 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM
1985 NC game, there are probably some that were worse but because it was the NC game it sits atop the rest.

Furman had a good lead at half-time and then Hammed to death in the second half ending with a last minute winning touchdown by the (well you probably know whoxnodx )
I don't know...I kinda liked that one...xnodx

KJ Eagle
May 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I would agree with Eagle22's posts earlier, but would also add the '98 NC game against Umass. We basically handed them the game with all of the turnovers.

The most devastating to the program may have been the loss to TxSt in the '05 playoffs. It was the last nail in the coffin of Coach Sewak and started us down the spiral to the debacle we had last year. Depending on who you talk to, they may have still fired him, but the way we lost after being ahead all day and then literally playing dead during the 4th quarter was the back breaker.

leatherneck177
May 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM
The 2002 playoff loss to Western Kentucky, Mike Scifres missed a 61 FG as time expired.

Also, the 2003 playoff loss to Colgate in the final minutes was very tough.

Husky Alum
May 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
1992 - NU @ Towson - we're winning in the last seconds of the game, last play of the game we have guys run on the field to celebrate the win - 15 yard penalty, TU gets another crack at the end zone - they score - we lose - we lose a winning season -

Remember that one Wiz?

VT Wildcat Fan53
May 31st, 2007, 11:08 PM
But for me, the hands down most heartbreaking loss ever was the playoff loss to Northern Iowa. UNH had home field guaranteed for the next playoff game in mid-December in NH!! The team making so many uncharacteristic mistakes that day. I recall being at the basketball game later that night, sitting through it like a zombie, when someone said to me "you're not into the game tonight are you?". I was depressed for days after that game.

It was somewhat odd, but last year's playoff loss to UMass didn't affect me anywhere near as much as these other losses. I left the field thinking we had given our all and that UMass just had our number.

No question, the NIU loss -- given ALL that was riding on a UNH victory -- was extraordinarily hard to take. The fumbles, the drops, the 4th down option that was dropped (would have been a 1st down and maybe much more!) all contributed to a very frustrating day. Finally, outgaining the victorious Panthers by 631 yards to 351 yards was the ultimate insult to injury!

DallasNeck
June 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
The 2002 playoff loss to Western Kentucky, Mike Scifres missed a 61 FG as time expired.

Also, the 2003 playoff loss to Colgate in the final minutes was very tough.

Both of those loses were tough to swallow. How about the fight that broke out after the WKU game. The Colgate game was the toughest loss recently in my mind. I think we could have given Deleware a run for their money (assuming we beat FAU the next week) and atleast made the national championship game competitive if we had not played during a blizzard in Hamilton, NY.

g-webb1994
June 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM
1992 NAIA Championship Game on our home field. We led 16-13 with just over two minutes to go. Central State Ohio burned their last time out to stop the clock. G-W had the ball around our own 40 and 3rd and long. Instead of running the ball up the gut and killing most of the remaining clock before punting, we try to throw a five-yard pass in the right flat, way short of first down yardage, that falls incomplete to stop the clock!xbangx xbangx xbangx

Central gets the ball around their own 15-20 with under two minutes to go, and with no timeouts and very little passing game, drives the length of the field against a prevent defense we were playing to score the winning TD with under 30 seconds left and win 19-16.xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

What in the hell were we thinking throwing the ball in that situation!!!xmadx xmadx xmadx

Go...gate
June 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM

If we are going there, then may I add a couple more:

Delaware 61 at Princeton 8 (1981)
Northwestern 37 at Princeton 0 (1986)

As a long-time Princeton fan, these two lopsided (and non-competitive) losses made it clear to me how far the Ivy League (and Princeton's football program) fell after the 1960's.

McNeeserocket
June 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM

Actually McNeese lost the game by one point. The score was 10 to 9. McNeese had three field goals and Youngstown had one field goal and a touchdown with the extra point. The Youngstown touchdown was set up by an interception late in the game. This game was probably the closest National Championship game as far as statistics. Every statistic for both team was almost a mirror image of the other team, except for the interception. This was one of the all time great defensive games. Tressel said it was ashame that only one winner was crowned that day.

ch0306
July 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
All good points, but I'd nominate the 1979 Harvard game at the Bowl as Yale's most heartbreaking loss in the 40+ years that I've followed Yale football.

The Harvard team in '68 was also undefeated, even if it wasn't up to Yale's standard. The Cantabs also had a fine team in '74; I think they finished 7-2. And both the '68 and '74 games were played at Harvard Stadium. As gut wrenching as the loss in '05 was, Harvard had the better team. The Crimson finished 7-3, and 2nd in the Ivy. The Bulldog played over his head in making it close, even if that doesn't erase the memory of D.J. Shooter coughing up the ball inside the Crimson 15 in the 2nd OT.

But in 1979, Yale was not only undefeated but playing a Harvard team that came into the Bowl 2-6. The weather was sunny, not a factor like in '74. There was no Harvard clockman to job us like in '68. And far from being underdogs like in '05, the Blue were prohibitive favorites in '79. Not only did the Elis lose, but they were thumped: 22-7. In my books,they don't come any more heartbreaking than this game.

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
All good points, but I'd nominate the 1979 Harvard game at the Bowl as Yale's most heartbreaking loss in the 40+ years that I've followed Yale football.

The Harvard team in '68 was also undefeated, even if it wasn't up to Yale's standard. The Cantabs also had a fine team in '74; I think they finished 7-2. And both the '68 and '74 games were played at Harvard Stadium. As gut wrenching as the loss in '05 was, Harvard had the better team. The Crimson finished 7-3, and 2nd in the Ivy. The Bulldog played over his head in making it close, even if that doesn't erase the memory of D.J. Shooter coughing up the ball inside the Crimson 15 in the 2nd OT.

But in 1979, Yale was not only undefeated but playing a Harvard team that came into the Bowl 2-6. The weather was sunny, not a factor like in '74. There was no Harvard clockman to job us like in '68. And far from being underdogs like in '05, the Blue were prohibitive favorites in '79. Not only did the Elis lose, but they were thumped: 22-7. In my books,they don't come any more heartbreaking than this game.

'79 was terrible, but not heartbreaking, because Yale was never in it. Harvard thoroughly dominated and you knew early that it just wasn't Yale's day. '89 was more heartbreaking and with similar circumstances. Yale had beaten Princeton the week before to clinch the title both years. Just like in '79, the '89 team came out flat falling behind 21-0. But in '89 they stormed back with 3 TD's and you felt momentum swinging until the missed XP. After that, it was '79 all over again.

It was also the last Yale-Harvard game I attended as I moved to AZ in 1990. Not a pleasant memory.xsmhx

DuckDuckGriz
July 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM
There have been a few for me. 2006 vs UMass is one.

But here are the real killers --

2000 -- vs Georgia Southern in the national championship -- arguably THE BEST I-AA national championship ever played. Griz come all the way back and take the lead after being down 20-3 in a monsoon. We had a fake punt for TD, all the momentum in the world and then some. 30 seconds later some *****er named Adrian Peterson (xbowx ) takes off 50 some yards and we cant make a tackle for the life of us. GSU wins it in the final minutes 27-25.

2004 -- vs JMU. The Griz could have put this one away in the 1st quarter. JMU couldn't stop us in the air. Jon Talmage drops a wide open TD. Jefferson Heidelberger runs about 55 yards down the sidelines for another TD, which was called back bc the refs thought he stepped out of bounds after 10 or so yards (the tape showed he didn't). Props to JMU for dominating in the second half, the game was over after they took the lead in the 2nd.

2002 -- Griz-Cat - I still do this day wonder why John Edwards was never taken out of the game. He was something like 1 for 19 and Glenn had shuffled between Edwards and Neill all season long but wouldn't do it here. The streak ends.

1999 vs Youngstown State -- we had first and goal at the end of the game. Drew Miller slips in the mud. Then we miss a game tying FG bc our kicker slips in the mud. SprinTurf was installed two years later.

T-Dog
July 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm surprised ASU fans haven't mentioned these.

-2002 at home vs Wofford. HOMECOMING. Doiwn 16-0, came back to tie it, late long TD by Wofford wins it 26-19.
-1999 (I think) vs FAMU. Caught with our pants down in this one. Got the wrong scouting report I think. Whatever happened, we got embarassed that day.
-2004 at UTC: 59-56 loss. Finley wasn't kind to us until recently. If we would have won that game and then against WCU (previously mentioned) in the finale we would have been 8-3 and made the playoffs. But then again we wouldn't have changed the way we practiced and played so I'll take it.

Sam Adams
July 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
2003 Ice Bowl playoff game in Hamilton NY. We had to bus in from the only available hotel an hour and half away. One of our team busses slid off the road on the way to the game in the blizzard. We arrived late of course. Still, UM jumped out to a 7-0 lead off a James Ihedigbo fumble recovery for a TD. Then Jamal Branch fumbled again and UM recovered on the Gate 27. UM couldn't get the TD and then we missed a short FG wide right. After that Gate scored 19 unanswered points. That was a heartbreaker.

The 2003 UMass team was one of the best UM teams ever, with only 1 IAA defeat (an incredible triple OT 51-45 nailbiter at UD) and IMHO deserved a home playoff game and should have had a rematch w/UD for the 2003 NC. Shoulda Woulda Coulda.xbawlingx

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

-2002 at home vs Wofford. HOMECOMING. Doiwn 16-0, came back to tie it, late long TD by Wofford wins it 26-19.
-1999 (I think) vs FAMU. Caught with our pants down in this one. Got the wrong scouting report I think. Whatever happened, we got embarassed that day.
-2004 at UTC: 59-56 loss. Finley wasn't kind to us until recently. If we would have won that game and then against WCU (previously mentioned) in the finale we would have been 8-3 and made the playoffs. But then again we wouldn't have changed the way we practiced and played so I'll take it.

THE APPSOLUTE WORST LOSS was AUBURN. We had kicked their A$$ all over the field in front of 78,000 dumb and silent War Eagles. Then with under 2 minutes left they have the ball at around the 20. 1 short pass, then another short pass on the other side, then other, and another... It was killing me because I knew what was coming.... With 58 seconds left they did it .... a stop and go that the d-back went for, with no safety help.... That was the only time the stadium ever got loud. It was tommy Tubberville's first game at Auburn and the War Eagle fans wanted him fired.
We FREAK'n HAD THEM. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

813Jag
July 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM

-1999 (I think) vs FAMU. Caught with our pants down in this one. Got the wrong scouting report I think. Whatever happened, we got embarassed that day.-2004 at UTC: 59-56 loss. Finley wasn't kind to us until recently. If we would have won that game and then against WCU (previously mentioned) in the finale we would have been 8-3 and made the playoffs. But then again we wouldn't have changed the way we practiced and played so I'll take it.
The Rattlers had a pretty good team that year. If you think you got caught with your pants down, we were 9-0 and they beat us 65-18. It wasn't even that close. xnonono2x

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

Oh, balderdash...that "knee" did not cost you the game xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

Don't be so sure...that team we had that year was awesome. It may've even been better than the '99 eagles. If AP and JR weren't both injured at the same time during that season, it could have been the third FCS 15-0 season ever.

*back to the original subject*

For GSU, I think most GSU fans would agree with these:

1. The 2001 semi-final loss to Furman...how many of you can say you ruined a perfect home playoff record (that was at 30-something wins) and a perfect semi-final record by blowing a 14-point halftime lead against your rival and missing a chance to let your legendary player go to the national championship one last time? I don't think any of you have a loss that can match this one.

2. West Georgia, 1994...bad playing and bad coaching combined to give us one of the most humiliating losses ever.

3. Citadel, 2003. This is the game that pretty much locked us out of the playoffs for '03...it was the first time we had missed the playoffs since '96. On top of that, we lost to a mediocre Citadel team at homecoming. Ouch

GeeWiz
July 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
1992 - NU @ Towson - we're winning in the last seconds of the game, last play of the game we have guys run on the field to celebrate the win - 15 yard penalty, TU gets another crack at the end zone - they score - we lose - we lose a winning season -

Remember that one Wiz?

Sorry HA,

I haven't seen this post in awhile so I'm now just responding to you.

YES I DO! xbangx

The Towson loss was so bad it was highlighted on Sportscenter!

I mean there's so many for NU.

- The 2002 Fordham home playoff loss. If LB's Adam Walter and the late Joe Gazzola are healthy (both got season ending injuries in the JMU win the week before) no way FU's Kirwin Watson runs for over 100 yards.

- Losing to UNH 31-28 on Homecoming in 1989. NU was 3-1 and had just taken a 28-24 lead with under a minute to play. UNH returns the kickoff inside our 30 yd line and like three plays later score the winning TD with about 15 seconds left. (NU didn't win another game after that!)

- Another HC loss to UNH 18-14 in 1991 when NU was 4-2 and once again didn't win another game.

- 1997 loss at Villanova which was the last game of the season and knocked NU from a playoff berth. NU was 8-2 and 'Nova was undefeated. The Huskies had something like a 10 pt. lead heading into the 4th quarter and 'Nova blew the doors off of us scoring like 24 or 21 pts. in the 4th to win 49-35.

- Yet another HC loss, this time to Richmond. In 1998 NU and Richmond were both 5-2 overall (UR was 3-1, NU was 3-2 in A-10) and NU RB L.J. McKanas was having a big day but freakin' NU made UR QB Jimmy Miles look like Randall Cunningham and we couldn't stop him. Despite Miles, NU scored late in the 4th on a Dave Klemic TD but our PK Joe Connolly misses the extra point and UR wins 21-20! xnonono2x

These some more but I can't write anymore!

DaveK
July 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Not counting all the times NDSU added insult to injury by running the score up on us back in the '80s, probably the Augustana game in 2000. It was the last game at Memorial Stadium and that loss cost the Sioux a spot in the playoffs. Very bitter pill to swallow.

DaveK
July 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM

xnonox

Maybe that winning FG attempt being blocked was karma's way of getting back at you? xeyebrowx

ASU_Chad
July 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
The most heartbreaking loss for me is the one that breaks our 27 and counting home winning streak.

Grizball
July 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
The Griz loss to GSU in the 2000 chipper. I literally was sick to my stomach.

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
1977 - Delaware 21, Colgate 3 (Only loss of one of Colgate's greatest seasons - cost us a bowl bid and possibly the Lambert Trophy - we ended up third behind Penn State and Pittsburgh)

1982 - Delaware 20, Colgate 13 (1-AA Quarterfinal)

NSUDemon98
July 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
1. Northwestern St. vs. UMASS - NCAA Semifinals 1998 - Freshmen year in college, first time ever experiencing college football that season and what a season it was...until the last game we played. After winning the quarterfinal game vs. either AppSt or IllSt. we in the band already had hotel rooms and bus lists assigned in which case we advanced to the National Championship.

We had a halftime lead and then UMASS errupted in the 2nd half, winning 41-31. xbawlingx

2. Northwestern St. vs. Tulane - 2003 - What a wild game this was...and even after the game was over it got even more wild on Bourbon St.xsmiley_wix (if you know what I mean).

Tulane had Buffalo Bills QB J.P. Lasmon and NFL running back Mwelde Moore...and we had the worst kicker in all of college football.

We were kicking Tulane's ass up and down the field and their 2 future NFL playmakers were literally keeping the game close. Our kicker missed 3!!! field goals in that game, all of which were 25 yds or closer.

Anyway, the game ends up going into OT. We have to settle for a FG(which he finally makes) and J.P. Lasmon connects to a wide open Mwelde Moore for a game winning TD.

The heartbreaking part is that if our kicker makes just one of those 3 missed kicks...there is no need for OT. xmadx

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
1. Northwestern St. vs. UMASS - NCAA Semifinals 1998 - Freshmen year in college, first time ever experiencing college football that season and what a season it was...until the last game we played. After winning the quarterfinal game vs. either AppSt or IllSt. we in the band already had hotel rooms and bus lists assigned in which case we advanced to the National Championship.

We had a halftime lead and then UMASS errupted in the 2nd half, winning 41-31. xbawlingx

2. Northwestern St. vs. Tulane - 2003 - What a wild game this was...and even after the game was over it got even more wild on Bourbon St.xsmiley_wix (if you know what I mean).

Tulane had Buffalo Bills QB J.P. Lasmon and NFL running back Mwelde Moore...and we had the worst kicker in all of college football.

We were kicking Tulane's ass up and down the field and their 2 future NFL playmakers were literally keeping the game close. Our kicker missed 3!!! field goals in that game, all of which were 25 yds or closer.

Anyway, the game ends up going into OT. We have to settle for a FG(which he finally makes) and J.P. Lasmon connects to a wide open Mwelde Moore for a game winning TD.

The heartbreaking part is that if our kicker makes just one of those 3 missed kicks...there is no need for OT. xmadx

Seems that way almost EVERY year.....

Stoker should just fork over a scholly and find us a kicker...xnodx

grizbeer
July 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Any loss to Montana State is bad, 200 was a little disgusting because the team seemed to quit at 1/2 time of the EWU game the week before. The NDSU loss was terrible, but you could see it coming, Montana just couldn't respond after 1/2 time.

The one that sticks out in my mind the most was a game I listened to on the radio when I was young - I think against weber State, in about 1978, but I can't say for sure - Montana was in the middle of several bad years, but was competitive. However 1 play in particular was devastating - Montana was running an option play, that was at a critical point in the game, and the pitch was intercepted for a touchdown. The excitement of the play developing, then the devastation of one of the most embarrassing plays in football was almost too much.

I still kept the faith, but when I get too cocky about Montana football I remember that one play from the radio broadcast.

The Cats
July 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Every one of the 52 loses to ASU.

T-Dog
July 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
The Rattlers had a pretty good team that year. If you think you got caught with your pants down, we were 9-0 and they beat us 65-18. It wasn't even that close. xnonono2x

As someone on the App baord mentioned, that team was later found to have 200-something NCAA violations that year, if that makes it any better....eh screw it, it doesn't.

I forgot, that year we beat eventual Nat'l Champs (and No. 1 team) GaSo at home by one point.

Then in the first round at home, we get embarrased 44-29 by FAMU. I wasn't there but I heard storeis in which we were scrambling from the sidelines on defense and couldn't mark anyone. Just something you never want to see at home.

FAMU later went on to lose to YSU by three in the semis so I guess they were really good, but still, you would think after we beat Peterson and GaSo at home, we would have taken care of FAMU.

T-Dog
July 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
1. The 2001 semi-final loss to Furman...how many of you can say you ruined a perfect home playoff record (that was at 30-something wins) and a perfect semi-final record by blowing a 14-point halftime lead against your rival and missing a chance to let your legendary player go to the national championship one last time? I don't think any of you have a loss that can match this one.

Looking back on it, you should have won four (or maybe five) in a row. UMass in the title game in 98 and then in 01 by beating the Furmies and then Montana. Then the next year you loss by three to WKU who ended up winning big in the title game.

Reminds me how hard three-peating will be this year. xpeacex

Kill'em
July 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
The losses to Furman in '01 and TXST in '05 and WKU in '02 were really disgusting, as previously mentioned. I remember walking out of Paulson commenting we had to win the SoCon twice. We beat both App St and Furman in the regular season then had to play them back-to-back weeks in the playoffs. xmadx

Let's not forget the loss in the '88 finals to Furman. We had the ball, the momentum, and the only thing that would have kept us from scoring the winning touchdown was a turnover and Raymond Gross fumbled near their 5 yard line. xbawlingx

The loss to New Hampshire in the '04 playoff opener was really bad. We controled the game in the first half and did nothing in the second half. We entered the playoffs as on of the hottest teams in the nation and completely layed an egg.

I also have to throw in the loss last year to App St. Despite the worst coaching I have ever seen, I might have never been more proud to be an Eagle that day. Our guys played their behinds off and had many chances to win but didn't.

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Two really stick out for me; the 96 Cats and west version of of EKU or the Atlanta Braves (in the playoffs every year with little or nothing to show for it) and another against the same team. In 96, we were up 14-10 at halftime and allowed the fizzledoutagain to come back and put it away with three scores in a virtual mud bowl. Should have won that game and won the conference but we spent the entire second half in the muddiest part of the field. Rumor has it the groundscrew put extra water on the field just as they did the year before in order to enhance their bubble screen to the great Joe Douglass who could catch anything thrown his way.

Another against the same team while in the midst of our second longest losing streak to the same bunch. We scored with 22 seconds left and our ensuing kickoff gave them the ball at the 35. Blown coverage allowed a lucky pass and they got the winning fieldgoal as time was about to run out. Really hate to lose those type games, but it's even worse when it's an in state team.

The worst loss I've seen the Bobcats experience had to have been in 82. We were in Salt Lake for a money game against Utah, driving for the lead and inside their 15 with 1:26 left when we fumbled. Utah recovered, took it down the field to score, kicked and quickly recovered and the final score was an embarrassing 31-10 I believe, even though we would have won had we not fumbled with 1:26 left.

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
Two really stick out for me; the 96 Cats and west version of of EKU or the Atlanta Braves (in the playoffs every year with little or nothing to show for it) and another against the same team. In 96, we were up 14-10 at halftime and allowed the fizzledoutagain to come back and put it away with three scores in a virtual mud bowl. Should have won that game and won the conference but we spent the entire second half in the muddiest part of the field. Rumor has it the groundscrew put extra water on the field just as they did the year before in order to enhance their bubble screen to the great Joe Douglass who could catch anything thrown his way.

Another against the same team while in the midst of our second longest losing streak to the same bunch. We scored with 22 seconds left and our ensuing kickoff gave them the ball at the 35. Blown coverage allowed a lucky pass and they got the winning fieldgoal as time was about to run out. Really hate to lose those type games, but it's even worse when it's an in state team.

The worst loss I've seen the Bobcats experience had to have been in 82. We were in Salt Lake for a money game against Utah, driving for the lead and inside their 15 with 1:26 left when we fumbled. Utah recovered, took it down the field to score, kicked and quickly recovered and the final score was an embarrassing 31-10 I believe, even though we would have won had we not fumbled with 1:26 left.

That game was not even close after halftime. How could the Griz have watered down the field the year before considering it was in Bozeman? It's not like 2006 where several MSU students have claimed that the Litter Box was watered down before the game. Oh well....

And in 97 the Cats were lucky to come back in that one. UM had it nearly put away with a hail mary for a TD at halftime to go up 21-7. That wasn't a lucky pass, that was brilliant (haha) coaching by good ol Cliff Hyselll to pay a dime, zone package instead of a prevent when everyone and their mom knew that Ah Yat was going to chuck it about 50 yards.

Anyway, to be fair -- 2003 Griz-Cat was another tough one to lose. Corey Smith's opening kickoff return set the tone for the whole game. That and it was about 4 degrees.

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
That game was not even close after halftime. How could the Griz have watered down the field the year before considering it was in Bozeman? It's not like 2006 where several MSU students have claimed that the Litter Box was watered down before the game. Oh well....

And in 97 the Cats were lucky to come back in that one. UM had it nearly put away with a hail mary for a TD at halftime to go up 21-7. That wasn't a lucky pass, that was brilliant (haha) coaching by good ol Cliff Hyselll to pay a dime, zone package instead of a prevent when everyone and their mom knew that Ah Yat was going to chuck it about 50 yards.

Anyway, to be fair -- 2003 Griz-Cat was another tough one to lose. Corey Smith's opening kickoff return set the tone for the whole game. That and it was about 4 degrees.

...whatever xconfusedx Don't care to discuss tough losses and the reasons why with ya'll. You had more points back when the game was played several years ago when it ended. It was a tough loss and ya'll had more points. You probably ought to go back to the stadium pictures too...xbowx

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
...whatever xconfusedx Don't care to discuss tough losses and the reasons why with ya'll. You had more points back when the game was played several years ago when it ended. It was a tough loss and ya'll had more points. You probably ought to go back to the stadium pictures too...xbowx

...and the game was in Mazzola...

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM

I might just have em. Joe Douglass was the man!

(but Corey Smith and Junior Adams were alright too)

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
...and the game was in Mazzola...

I know. I meant 2005.

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
...artificial turf is hurting your playoff record more than Phenecie, I do believe...

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
I know. I meant 2005.

One of you that can admit you're wrongxlolx

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 01:23 AM
...artificial turf is hurting your playoff record more than Phenecie, I do believe...

Huh? 2001 was the first year of the turf. We all know what happened that year:D

BTW do we really want to compare playoff records? (or lackthereof ;) )

Old Montana State Grad
July 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Huh? 2001 was the first year of the turf. We all know what happened that year:D

BTW do we really want to compare playoff records? (or lackthereof ;) )

Ah, yeah...but I need to point out ya'll are the modern day version of Eastern Kentucky (and all the Atlanta Braves fans understand) in that you are the only team the SIDs/ADs are familiar with from our area, you'll enter the season in the top two or three and with you creampuff schedule, buy a few home playoff games--maybe. Lose four games and see if you host a playoff gamexthumbsupx Go ahead, try and state what I've stated is smackxnonox

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
Ah, yeah...but I need to point out ya'll are the modern day version of Eastern Kentucky (and all the Atlanta Braves fans understand) in that you are the only team the SIDs/ADs are familiar with from our area, you'll enter the season in the top two or three and with you creampuff schedule, buy a few home playoff games--maybe. Lose four games and see if you host a playoff gamexthumbsupx Go ahead, try and state what I've stated is smackxnonox

Blah blah blah blah blah.
So this is what...Year 15 of hearing this? Never works...

By the way, creampuff schedule? Sorry that Chadron State or Central Washington or Humboldt State or Adams State wasn't available.

Must suck to play second fiddle to the modern day Eastern Kentucky xthumbsupx

(nevermind that we were in the semis last year)

Tod
July 23rd, 2007, 02:36 AM

You think MSU can lose four and host and UM can't?

It's unlikely (mostly that we lose four games), but if that's your best bragging point, you've got a ways to go.

If we win enough games, and don't get a top four seeding, then it comes down to the highest bidder. We'll probably win that.

That rule applies to everyone. If, oh, let's say Eastern Kentucky, were to be our first round match and outbid the Griz, they'd have the home game.

What's the problem, Old Grad?

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
As someone on the App baord mentioned, that team was later found to have 200-something NCAA violations that year, if that makes it any better....eh screw it, it doesn't.

I forgot, that year we beat eventual Nat'l Champs (and No. 1 team) GaSo at home by one point.

Then in the first round at home, we get embarrased 44-29 by FAMU. I wasn't there but I heard storeis in which we were scrambling from the sidelines on defense and couldn't mark anyone. Just something you never want to see at home.

FAMU later went on to lose to YSU by three in the semis so I guess they were really good, but still, you would think after we beat Peterson and GaSo at home, we would have taken care of FAMU.
Nothing makes losing to the Rattlers better. Other than Grambling that's the only team that I hate losing to. xlolx I wouldn't be surprised if they sent y'all some bad tapes, one of the issues that lead to the break in our series was lack of game tapes being sent.

andy7171
July 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
YES I DO! xbangx

The Towson loss was so bad it was highlighted on Sportscenter!

:D :D :D
Four laterals on that kickoff return with 7 seconds left.
That final return won an ESPY award that year.
xpeacex

ashram
July 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Out of many, there are two that immediately come to mind:

2004 QF loss to JMU 13-14
2005 SF loss to ASU 23-29

One play per game could have gone differently and Furman would likely have been back to back NC's.

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
2004-Grambling, xsmhx
2004-SWAC Championship game against Bama State

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
2004-Grambling, xsmhx
2004-SWAC Championship game against Bama State
That was the first Classic I missed since I can remember. xbawlingx

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
That was the first Classic I missed since I can remember. xbawlingx

I still cant figure out how we lost either one of those games.xsmhx

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Out of many, there are two that immediately come to mind:

2004 QF loss to JMU 13-14
2005 SF loss to ASU 23-29

One play per game could have gone differently and Furman would likely have been back to back NC's.

I don't know. I think we could handle Ingle Martin better than we could JMU's running game (with the turf the way it was).

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
For Lehigh a couple come to mind.

1991 Lehigh-Holy Cross; Holy Cross came into Goodman ranked #1 or #2 in the country at the time of the game and eventually finished #3 i believe despite not being eligible for the playoffs. The the second half was absolutely amazing with the two teams trading punches. If my memory serves me right right Lehigh took the lead on a fumbleruski play late in the game only to have HC drive down the field to win the game 43-42. I still think that Lehigh team was one of the best in the last 25 years and better than some of the Higgens/Lembo teams. They finished 9-2, with both losses by 1 point and had wins over Uconn, William & Mary, Northeastern, Penn and a pretty good Lafayette team.

2005 Lehigh- Lafayette; Lafayette scores on a fourth and 10 from the 37 with 23 seconds left at Goodman. Lehigh's playoff bid and probable home game goes out the window.

1998 Lehigh-Umass; I went to this game and still is one of the best game experiences ever. 1998 was a magical year to say the least. Not much was expected of the team and they ended up going 12-1 with a first round win over #3 Richmond. Lehigh played Umass toe-toe for 60 minutes but fell just short. Lehigh had 4 shots from the the Umass 10 to win the game with a minute left but couldn't score. Umass went on to win the title which makes a lot of people wonder what if.

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
How about these from last year!
Prairie View 26-23ot
NC Central 27-20
Alabama A&M 28-21
Jackson State-31-28
All of these were blown 4th quarter leadsxnonono2x

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
How about these from last year!
Prairie View 26-23ot
NC Central 27-20
Alabama A&M 28-21
Jackson State-31-28
All of these were blown 4th quarter leadsxnonono2x
PVU hurt the most, and now my niece is a freshman there so she's waiting to talk trash. xnonono2x

AggieFinn
July 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
I wasn't around for Bloomsburg in '00 D2 playoffs, but I imagine that one stung.

NDSU last year sucked, but I turned off the radio with a minute left as I knew what was going to happen and had some catch-up drinking to do at the Stanford-USC game

ditto...Bloomsburg 2000
NDSU 2006
both at home.

I'll add South Dakota State 2006 as well, 22-21 loss in final minutes.

walliver
July 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't want to think abouth the 2002 Furman game.

The other game of that magnitude was the NAIA Championship game against Texas A&I. We came in undefeated and ranked #1, and it wasn't even close. To add insult to injury, Appalachian State stole our coach the next day.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Probably the 16-19 OT loss to Montana in the 2000 semifinals. That's what sticks out in my memory.

I agree....to play so well and be so close at the MIGHTY Wazzou-Grizzly stadium (I thought we would get blown out), and then lose in OT on a field goal.....

Another one: I believe it was the 1994 team that went undefeated and end the regular season #1....then lose in the second round to Stephen F. Austin in Boone....and it wasn't close......

And one more: The opening round lose to Florida A&M in Boone.....unacceptable....xconfusedx

Blue42
July 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Lots of great games on this list.

For UNI I'll go with...

1. 2005 championship game vs. App St. It was for the friggin' championship after all.

2. 1992 semi-final loss to YSU in the dome. UNI was unbelievably loaded that year, with Kurt Warner on the bench. Lost on 4 field goals and a punt return TD.

3. Recent history, 2006 28-27 loss to Iowa State. Led 21-3 at one point and held it almost entire game. Had a 50 yd field goal to win it at the gun and was just wide right. Biggest crowd in ISU history and we almost stole the show.

BULLDOG8180
July 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Two that really stick with me, 1978 and 1979 against Furman.

In 78, they stopped on Stump Mitchell on the goal line, on 4th down, last play of the game.

1979 was truly heart breaking. Senior year, last game of the season. If we beat Furman we were conference champions. If we tied or lost we didn't. (this was before overtime!)

Came down late in the 4th quarter, Furman leading 45-38. We score to makes it 45-44. We go for 2, pass incomplete. Lose 45-44, conference championship lost. My last college game of my career. 28 years later- still heartbreaking.