PDA

View Full Version : Glanville feature story on ESPN postponed

JALMOND
May 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Just reported, Jerry Glanville's story, set to appear on ESPN's Outside the Lines on Sunday, is postponed as ESPN will do a feature on dog-fighting instead.

www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2856

Other news from PSU, both Tremaine Kirkland and MoMar Ali have been granted an extra year of eligibility and will both play for the Vikings this year. Eric Azore did not gain an extra year.

already123
May 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
how were they able to get an extra year??

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 01:36 AM
what's the focus of the story?

Mr. C
May 28th, 2007, 08:26 AM
how were they able to get an extra year??
Obviously a medical redshirt season. Players automatically get five years to play four and in some cases, a sixth year can be granted because of documented injuries.

aust42
May 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I listened to some of that dog fighting story on ESPN. The informant exposed Michael Vick's involvement. Besides the upcoming drawn out legal process of these "allegations", it will be interesting to see the NFL's reaction to this and what penalty they impose if any. My girlfriends best friend went to Va Tech the same time Michael Vick went there and worked there as a grad asst when Marcus went to school there. According to her "Michael and Marcus Vicks' demeanor and actions on campus were an embarrassment to their family and all Hokie alumus and fans." Listening to Michael Vick speak makes you wonder how he ever got into college in the first place.

travelinman67
May 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
...so, according to the release...

"A feature on Portland State Head Football Coach Jerry Glanville originally scheduled to run on Sunday's ESPN Outside The Lines news show has been postponed. The Outside The Lines Show will instead be running a feature on dog-fighting."

...can you imagine reading this about Woody Hayes? Bo Schembechler? Tom Landry?

Only Jerry could get postponed by a story about "dog-fighting". I can already hear him telling the story...

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM
...so, according to the release...

"A feature on Portland State Head Football Coach Jerry Glanville originally scheduled to run on Sunday's ESPN Outside The Lines news show has been postponed. The Outside The Lines Show will instead be running a feature on dog-fighting."

...can you imagine reading this about Woody Hayes? Bo Schembechler? Tom Landry?

Only Jerry could get postponed by a story about "dog-fighting". I can already hear him telling the story...

It's highly doubtful that the feature story on Jerry Glanville is time-sensitive. The dog-fighting story is a serious scandal involving Michael Vick and is part of an on-going investigation. Thus, it is time-sensitive and needed air as soon as possible.

Glanville can be pushed back.

travelinman67
May 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM
...The dog-fighting story is a serious scandal involving Michael Vick and is part of an on-going investigation. Thus, it is time-sensitive and needed air as soon as possible.

Glanville can be pushed back.

Said with genuine non-Glanvillesque stoicism. xlolx

Do you work for ESPN?

"...a serious scandal..." ?????? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Only for Vick's agent.

I guess you really have to be a student of U.of Glanville to see the humor in this.xrolleyesx

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Said with genuine non-Glanvillesque stoicism. xlolx

Do you work for ESPN?

"...a serious scandal..." ?????? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Only for Vick's agent.

I guess you really have to be a student of U.of Glanville to see the humor in this.xrolleyesx

I guess so...

And does a small gig with an offshoot of ESPN count? xlolx

On the chance you aren't being sarcastic in your posts - and it's always hard to tell on the net, so might as well cover my rear - then let me add that time-sensitivity and scandals are more important aspects of news coverage than feature stories, and that works at ANY media network. And yes, the Michael Vick dog-fighting thing is a serious scandal for Vick, his agent, and the NFL. There's a subculture that accepts dog-fighting as a legit enterprise, but it's against the law. Unfortunately, a large number of athletes are included in that subculture.

So, yes, scandal.

JALMOND
May 30th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Obviously a medical redshirt season. Players automatically get five years to play four and in some cases, a sixth year can be granted because of documented injuries.

Kirkland played only one game for UNLV the year before he transferred. Ali played in three at New Mexico State before he transferred. In both cases, injuries prevented them from playing, and they did not play much in those games.

travelinman67
May 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I guess so...

And does a small gig with an offshoot of ESPN count? xlolx

On the chance you aren't being sarcastic in your posts - and it's always hard to tell on the net, so might as well cover my rear - then let me add that time-sensitivity and scandals are more important aspects of news coverage than feature stories, and that works at ANY media network. And yes, the Michael Vick dog-fighting thing is a serious scandal for Vick, his agent, and the NFL. There's a subculture that accepts dog-fighting as a legit enterprise, but it's against the law. Unfortunately, a large number of athletes are included in that subculture.

So, yes, scandal.

Not really on topic, but I'm from the camp that feels MSM/pop culture has become dysfunctionally obsessed in the past 30 or so years with gathering dirt on heroes/leaders/celebrities, SOLELY for the purpose of destroying their character. It's really nothing more than articulated "rubbernecking". Quite frankly, it a demonstration of the small-mindedness of the editors, and ultimately the readers/viewers that truly feel that type of character assasination is actually important and worthy of attention. While I applaud Roger Goodell's increased attention to player character, now that the media's caught wind that scrutinizing "character" has become fair game, I'm afraid MSM sports coverage is rapidly going to deteriorate to pure tabloid dribble.

re: your statement "...that time-sensitivity and scandals are more important aspects of news coverage than feature stories, and that works at ANY media network."

While not condoning dog-fighting, I will argue that (in my world) profiling the life progress of someone with the history, success, and wisdom of Jerry Glanville, is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than a voyeuristic intrusion on the personal life and/or mistakes of Michael Vick. I guess that's why I (along with a growing number of people), have decreasing trust in the integrity and judgement of MSM in the U.S. As far as ESPN, while I do currently subscribe to their magazine, I hope it does not become the "National Tattler" for sports fans.

rmutv
May 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM
While I, in essence, agree with you regarding the dysfunctions of MSM/pop culture, I disagree with you regarding the importance of the Vick incident.

High profile people engaged in illegal activities have been news stories for over a century. As a society, we've progressed from business owners being the high profile people (The Rockefellers) to athletes and entertainers being the high profile people.

While I'd like to see business owners remain under the heat lamp, the paper trail is just as crucial for high profile athletes.

Dog-fighting is a crime. All things point to Vick being involved in some capacity.

Glanville takes a seat on this one.

travelinman67
May 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
...Dog-fighting is a crime. All things point to Vick being involved in some capacity...

I'll light up the torches and get the pitchforks.xrolleyesx

Show me one person who sincerely believes that they have not broken one law in the past few years and I'll show you someone in denial. Whether it's rolling a stop sign or something more serious, I've personally never met anyone who hasn't broken a law at some time or another. Does this merit a series of news reports about how corrupt we've all become? (Methinks there's some famous lesson about casting stones....)

Interestingly, I had a similar conversation about Barry Bonds with some friends about a month ago. I listed off baseball players who had made noteworthy achievements during the past 10 years, and then we started recalling what, if anything, derogatory had been written about them in the press. Divorces, infidelity, drugs, criminal offenses, basically anything to discredit the players character/achievement.

I then asked my friends to list any "achieved" baseball player in the past 10 years that HADN'T had derogatory attacks written about them...it took them about 2-3 minutes to think of one...Cal Ripken (although I think his receding hairline is a sign of "mail pattern baldness", a debilitating problem effecting many males, or something else like that I heard on TV...). xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

If that doesn't make you stop and think about the journalistic practices in our country, then we're in trouble.

I'll admit the practice of criticizing leaders and celebrities isn't just confined to the past 30 years, but I absolutely believe that the so called, "Politics of personal destruction" has become the principle, celebrated purpose of many contemporary journalists.

It would be nice if "we" could keep that practice away from athletes who have worked tirelessly to "achieve" greatness...not just for fame and fortune, but simply to find the limits of their own potential...and set a good example for the next generation of kids. I think most AGS readers understand the great amount of work each athlete must invest to compete at the D1 level and higher. How about chronicling the life choices, work ethic, and untiring persistence of the athletes who have succeeded? I often wonder if the motivation for the attacks and criticism aren't simply envy of those athlete's achievements.

Sorry, rmutv, it started off as a humorous recognition of Coach G., but you got my blood pressure up. You'll never convince me that reporting scandal is more important than reporting great achievement or achievers.

rmutv
May 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry, rmutv, it started off as a humorous recognition of Coach G., but you got my blood pressure up. You'll never convince me that reporting scandal is more important than reporting great achievement or achievers.

Philosophical differences, then, and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Neither of us will convince the other that he is right. xnodx

travelinman67
May 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Philosophical differences, then, and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Neither of us will convince the other that he is right. xnodx

Agreed.xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Did this show yesterday on ESPN, with the replay at 3:30 EDT?