PDA

View Full Version : MSU's search moves on....

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=2056

MSU Bobcats Bobcat Football News : 2007-05-25 : MSU Sports Information
By Bill Lamberty

The committee charged with compiling a list of candidates to fill Montana State's football head coaching vacancy had a productive week, Bobcat Athletic Director Peter Fields said Friday.

Fields expects MSU's football coach search committee to have a
working list by early next week. "The committee will meet again after
the Memorial Day weekend," he said, "and at that point will complete the
process of paring the pool of 70 applicants to 10 or so that we'll carry
over to the next phase. We will begin phone interviews next week."
MSU hopes to complete its search for a replacement for Mike
Kramer, who was fired last week, by mid-June.

70 applicants!!!! That's way more than the 25 that was cited before! Good to see that somebody wants the job. Hopefully Mike Van Diest is one of those 70!!!!!xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Any names available? BobcatNation know of anyone? Or will we have to wait for the FOI request to be made?

Peems
May 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM
mike van diest has publicly announced that he is interested in the job, and it is his for the taking xtwocentsx

grizband
May 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
mike van diest has publicly announced that he is interested in the job, and it is his for the taking xtwocentsx
...he seems to be a near-consensus choice by the fans on Bobcatnation.

catbob
May 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM

I would agree, but I would also be very curious to see who else is on the list... I think it would be foolish to not give each applicant a fair shot, and Fields knows that as well.

Someone rumored over on bnation that the OC from Auburn might be interested, but it is pure speculation. But it makes you think there might be some higher profile guys than we are aware of.

Peems
May 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I would agree, but I would also be very curious to see who else is on the list... I think it would be foolish to not give each applicant a fair shot, and Fields knows that as well.

Someone rumored over on bnation that the OC from Auburn might be interested, but it is pure speculation. But it makes you think there might be some higher profile guys than we are aware of.

if there are 70 guys applying, there might be a few "surprises"

JALMOND
May 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Has anyone called Dennis Erickson about returning to his alma mater?

slycat
May 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM

best choice for now. would be interesting to see who else applyied.

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Has Mike Hudson applied for the position?

catbob
May 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
MSU gets quite a bit of exposure here in the northwest. We have several games a year on Altitude, which is carried in 10 states up here. Hell, they even broadcast our spring game! If there is a coach out there chomping at the bit to be a HC and make a name for himself, this would be a great opportunity.

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Even though I think Mike could have churned out 9 wins potentially this coming season, MSU is sittin' pretty. Just as you said catbob, there could be some rather intriuging people on that list. But even if there isn't, that one guy over in Helena will do the trick! I'm chomping at the bit to see who it's gonna be.....(don't be stupid twice Fields!!!!)

KAUMASS
May 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Where is Mike Van Diest now? He is a former defensive line coach when I played at UMass in the '80's..heck of a guy..we called him van beast..

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Where is Mike Van Diest now? He is a former defensive line coach when I played at UMass in the '80's..heck of a guy..we called him van beast..

He's actually only about 90 miles northwest of Bozeman at Carroll College in Helena. That guy knows what he is doing, 4 straight NAIA championships says it all.

But I didn't know he was a coach at UMass. Kinda cool.xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
May 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Another UMass connection and link to this story..John Zamberlin was a former defensive coach(linebackers) at UMass as well in the '80's. Zamberlin and Van Diest were there together...Now Coach "Z" at Idaho St and possibly Van Beast at Montana St.

MplsBison
May 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
How about Dale Lennon from UND?

Runs the same 3-4 defense. I'd say he's done a pretty good job the last few years.

GOKATS
May 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
They'be been pretty tight lipped, but Dan Hammerschmidt, OC at Colorado St. is interested and John L. Lewis has been rumored, but not confirmed.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
so...if the BOBCAT NATION had to name about 5 of the top names of the contenders for the job who would they be?

a brief bio or whatever information available would be greatly appreciated

NDSUFREAK
May 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
How about Dale Lennon from UND?

Runs the same 3-4 defense. I'd say he's done a pretty good job the last few years.

Yeah, Dale should probably be looked at by the Bobcats. He should be coaching at this level.

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, Dale should probably be looked at by the Bobcats. He should be coaching at this level.

I think that Van Diest would be looked at before UND's coach simply based on the fact that he is from another Montana school. He also has 4 straight NAIA championships. That's some pretty serious credential.

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Has anyone called Dennis Erickson about returning to his alma mater?

PUH-LEASEEEE take him....I may have to become a UA fan if he stays here very long!!!! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

NDSUFREAK
May 27th, 2007, 12:38 AM
^^^^^^You mean the Dennis Erickson that coaches at ASU? :p

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Bobcat nation, consider this a warm invitation from all of Griz nation to seriously consider Mr. Phenice for the position of head coach. We'll have him on the first greyhound to bozeman. :D

CatFan22
May 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Bobcat nation, consider this a warm invitation from all of Griz nation to seriously consider Mr. Phenice for the position of head coach. We'll have him on the first greyhound to bozeman. :D

xnonox
That was a terrible thing to wake up to this morning xlolx

PantherRob82
May 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Will interesting to see how things shake out.

th0m
May 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think that Van Diest would be looked at before UND's coach simply based on the fact that he is from another Montana school. He also has 4 straight NAIA championships. That's some pretty serious credential.

If hired by MSU, why would it have taken so long for Van Diest to move elsewhere with that kind of success? Did Carroll College pay him that much to stay put?

Also, didn't many Griz fans see Van Diest as the apparent heir should Hauck leave one way or another? How would you guys feel if Van Diest is indeed heading toward MSU?

Good luck Bobcat fans in your search for your new HC.

already123
May 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
on the same token...do we all agree on the firing of Kramer or no?

Peems
May 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM

that has been debated over and over, just search for it. Most of the people from the glorious state of montana say "no he shouldn't of been fired" most of the outsiders who don't know the circumstances or anything else say "yes" but im biased :D

GOKATS
May 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
^^^^^^You mean the Dennis Erickson that coaches at ASU? :p

Erickson was QB of the Cats footbal team and is a grad of Montana St.

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Go to that thread if you want to talk about it. This one is about the FUTURE of MSU and its head coaching position.

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
If hired by MSU, why would it have taken so long for Van Diest to move elsewhere with that kind of success? Did Carroll College pay him that much to stay put?

Also, didn't many Griz fans see Van Diest as the apparent heir should Hauck leave one way or another? How would you guys feel if Van Diest is indeed heading toward MSU?

Good luck Bobcat fans in your search for your new HC.

Van Beast may have been waiting for an opportunity like this. But while at Carroll, I'm sure he is making tons of $$$$. It is not cheap at all to go there, even if you are from Montana and get in-state rates. Carroll is LOADED, so I think they certainly were doing their part to take care of their coach.

dbackjon
May 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
PUH-LEASEEEE take him....I may have to become a UA fan if he stays here very long!!!! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

I would have thought the prospect of a MSU alum, who came over from your alma-mater, to Arizona State would have made you giddy...xlolx xlolx

OB55
May 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Van Beast may have been waiting for an opportunity like this. But while at Carroll, I'm sure he is making tons of $$$$. It is not cheap at all to go there, even if you are from Montana and get in-state rates. Carroll is LOADED, so I think they certainly were doing their part to take care of their coach.

I believe he is in his comfort zone, super successful, and no pressure at all. And yes they can pay him well there where not a lot of money has to be spent on the other sports.

Their alum support is outstanding.

dbackjon
May 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
John L. Smith?

Big Sky connections a-plenty: (Played at Weber, HC at Idaho while it was still in the Big Sky). Hired as Head Coach at Utah State by then AD Mike Jurich, former AD at NAU (and football All-American at NAU). Followed Jurich to Louisville, very successful at every stop except another MSU, Michigan State.

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2007, 06:24 PM
xnonox
That was a terrible thing to wake up to this morning xlolx

xlolx xlolx That was the idea. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Which probably means that Peter Fields will hire somebody else just to piss all of us off. (If this happens, there will be no eggs in my refrigerator the morning after the press release!)

Peems
May 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM

there are no in-state rates at carroll because it is a private school

GOKATS
May 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Which probably means that Peter Fields will hire somebody else just to piss all of us off. (If this happens, there will be no eggs in my refrigerator the morning after the press release!)

I sincerely hope the search committee offers the best of the 70 some candidates, and I trust they will. I think Van Diest will be in the first cut
(8-12) and he may well make the second cut (3-5), I hope he does. Regardless, I want the best possible coach there is to carry on the program Kramer put together.

In no way am I defending Fields. If it weren't for the search committe, he wouldn't have hired Huse as the MBB coach. JMHO

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
there are no in-state rates at carroll because it is a private school

But what do private schools have a lot of my friend?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2007, 09:55 PM
But what do private schools have a lot of my friend?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You couldn't tell that by walking through most of the buildings at Carroll. That place is in need of some serious renovations.

Freightliner
May 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
best choice for now. would be interesting to see who else applyied.

agreed....

*wonders if Manny Matsakis has surfaced around there*

better check all the RV lots!!!

grizband
May 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM
You couldn't tell that by walking through most of the buildings at Carroll. That place is in need of some serious renovations.
That is the truth, although their athletic facilities aren't bad for an NAIA school (I assume, I don't have much for comparison).

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Whatever Van Diest gets paid, this is his chance to get to the next level and maybe even get further down the road. He is also very good at getting the community involved like Kramer was, so I think MSU fans and alumni would like to see this guy on the sidelines on Saturday afternoon. This is one alumni that can say that!xthumbsupx

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Should hear something from the AD this week about the next steps in the process. Probably only about 2-3 weeks away from a hiring, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

GOKATS
May 30th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Should hear something from the AD this week about the next steps in the process. Probably only about 2-3 weeks away from a hiring, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Coaching field is down to 11 with up to five scheduled for on-campus interviews next week. Still no names other than the ones previously mentioned. It appears that Bailey, OC and named interim coach, won't be a finalist.

From todays Bozeman Chronicle:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/05/30/sports/10msu.txt

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Coaching field is down to 11 with up to five scheduled for on-campus interviews next week. Still no names other than the ones previously mentioned. It appears that Bailey, OC and named interim coach, won't be a finalist.

From todays Bozeman Chronicle:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/05/30/sports/10msu.txt

I can't say that I'm all that surprised. With the way he calls plays on offense, he'd be a bonehead of a coach.

Appstate29
May 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I can't say that I'm all that surprised. With the way he calls plays on offense, he'd be a bonehead of a coach.

Man Jerry Moore is a great coach, ASU sure is lucky xwhistlex xwhistlex what do you think FT??

CopperCat
May 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Man Jerry Moore is a great coach, ASU sure is lucky xwhistlex xwhistlex what do you think FT??

I think you need to get off my thread.xcoolx

already123
May 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
how soon can we expect some sort of direction as to their hiring intentions?

catbob
May 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
how soon can we expect some sort of direction as to their hiring intentions?

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'm suprised they haven't fast tracked this a bit more.

already123
May 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
My thoughts exactly. However, I would imagine that it is rather difficult to find a HEAD coach in the summer....I could be wrong....

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 09:53 PM
My thoughts exactly. However, I would imagine that it is rather difficult to find a HEAD coach in the summer....I could be wrong....

Not when Ryan Leaf is available. xlolx

already123
May 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
ALL HAIL RYAN LEAF!!

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm suprised they haven't fast tracked this a bit more.

Are you kidding me? They've already narrowed it down from 70 to 10 or 11, and are in the process of doing phone interviews. By the end of the week, that will be narrowed down to 3-5 who will be brought to campus for further interviews. Kramer was fired the 18th, which was a mere 12 days ago. In that time there were 70+ applicants who sent in resumes, and that pool has pretty much been narrowed down the the finalists. I'd say they've been moving along at a decent pace the whole time.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM

You think 70 people sending in resumes makes it hard to find a coach? I'd say that's not the case. Plenty of people want this job. MSU is sitting just fine as of the moment, thank you very much.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:18 AM
Are you kidding me? They've already narrowed it down from 70 to 10 or 11, and are in the process of doing phone interviews. By the end of the week, that will be narrowed down to 3-5 who will be brought to campus for further interviews. Kramer was fired the 18th, which was a mere 12 days ago. In that time there were 70+ applicants who sent in resumes, and that pool has pretty much been narrowed down the the finalists. I'd say they've been moving along at a decent pace the whole time.

I guess I just would've wanted a coach yesterday.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
I guess I just would've wanted a coach yesterday.

You've gotta pick the right one. And to do that you need the screen them quite a bit to find which one fits the school best. You can't just point to one and say "He's our man." If you did that, then you might end up with a Ryan Leaf-type guy (nobody in their right mind would ever hire him for anything if they knew anything about him).

Bobcat in NC
May 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM
So, I've seen a number of hypothetical posts on BobcatNation regarding the "final 11". Only a few confirmed (MVD being one), but someone shot out a rumored member of this club. Van Gorder. Seriously. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, have anything good to say about him?

GSU fans, flame away.

GOKATS
May 31st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Ed Meierkort, HC at U of S. Dak. is one of the 'final 11'.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ed Meierkort, HC at U of S. Dak. is one of the 'final 11'.

I read the article on him that was posted on BN. I too was not impressed with him, much like many other BN posters.

MVD is still my guy.xprayx

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Van Gorder. Seriously. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, have anything good to say about him?

GSU fans, flame away.

I highly doubt anyone in FCS has anything good to say.

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
I highly doubt anyone in FCS has anything good to say.

4 jobs in 4 years........I don't think any of us wants him at MSU.

JALMOND
June 1st, 2007, 01:41 AM
You've gotta pick the right one. And to do that you need the screen them quite a bit to find which one fits the school best. You can't just point to one and say "He's our man." If you did that, then you might end up with a Ryan Leaf-type guy (nobody in their right mind would ever hire him for anything if they knew anything about him).

Portland State pointed to Glanville and said "He's our man."

Seriously, tho, when PSU hired Glanville, the only drawback people had about the search was that the university did not interview any minority coaching candidates. Is MSU interviewing any minorities?

Bobcat in NC
June 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM

Seriously, tho, when PSU hired Glanville, the only drawback people had about the search was that the university did not interview any minority coaching candidates. Is MSU interviewing any minorities?

At this point, I don't believe that anyone (other than the search committee) knows the entire list of who's being interviewed. All that's been said is that they had 70 applicants, which they cut down to 11 for initial interviews and will cut (today or tomorrow?) down to 3-5 for on-campus interviews next week. No names, other than those who have gone public themselves or been outed by others, have been mentioned. This whole thing should be put to bed by next Friday (or Monday, the 11th, at the latest).

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM

Who cares? Hire the coach based on their credentials and qualifications!!! That should be the case with any job, not just this one. Every time I hear something like that, it makes me shake my head just a little bit, because we have to give obligatory interviews to people just because they are a minority?xeyebrowx Something isn't right with that.

CatFan22
June 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Who cares? Hire the coach based on their credentials and qualifications!!! That should be the case with any job, not just this one. Every time I hear something like that, it makes me shake my head just a little bit, because we have to give obligatory interviews to people just because they are a minority?xeyebrowx Something isn't right with that.

I couldn't agree more.

CatFan22
June 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
So with the "rumor" that Coach Kill is in the final 5 (Bobcatnation (http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard/viewtopic.php?t=10370)) what do all you SIU fans think?

GOKATS
June 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
It's unconfirmed, but a poster on Bobcat Nation said 4 of the five finalists (the fifth hasn't been contacted yet are:

Mike Van Diest, HC, Carroll College

Dale Lennon, HC, University of North Dakota

Jerry Kill, HC, Southern Illinois University

Rob Ash, HC, Drake University

Sounds like it's pretty solid info.

Larry Kerr, LB Coach, Duke University is the fifth.

youwouldno
June 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
So with the "rumor" that Coach Kill is in the final 5 (Bobcatnation (http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard/viewtopic.php?t=10370)) what do all you SIU fans think?

I'm not an SIU fan but I must be missing something. Why would someone leave SIU to coach MSU?

FCS Go!
June 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'm not an SIU fan but I must be missing something. Why would someone leave SIU to coach MSU?

He had so much fun in Missoula last year that he wants to make the Griz an annual event!

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM

Been to southern Illinois, been to Bozeman Montana, Hmmmmmmmm.........

CatFan22
June 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM
I guess it appears that Kill isn't on the final 4, be it that he either didn't make it or the rumor of him was false.

JALMOND
June 2nd, 2007, 12:21 AM

I have to agree. When I heard that, I was thinking, where would PSU get someone better qualified than Glanville who actually wants to come to PSU and coach.

Just was wondering if MSU was getting the same heat (pressure of looking at a minority).

CopperCat
June 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I have to agree. When I heard that, I was thinking, where would PSU get someone better qualified than Glanville who actually wants to come to PSU and coach.

Just was wondering if MSU was getting the same heat (pressure of looking at a minority).

I seriously doubt that MSU was getting any kind of heat for that reason.

And who was it that brought the minority thing up anyway? Its one thing to hire a coach who is from a minority group and has credential (like Ty Willingham), but it is another to hire a coach JUST because they are a minority. Stupid question IMO.

already123
June 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
True...however, minorities should be looked at. Above all, the best man should get the job!

CopperCat
June 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
True...however, minorities should be looked at. Above all, the best man should get the job!

If the best guy gets the job, then why does it matter that the coach is black or hispanic? IT DOESN'T. "Judge a man not on the color of his skin but on the content of his character." End of story.

WyomingGrizFan
June 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Van Gorder. Seriously. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, have anything good to say about him?

If you're talking about a Brian Van Gorder, didn't he just get hired on as linebackers coach with the Atlanta Falcons?

CopperCat
June 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM

If you're talking about a Brian Van Gorder, didn't he just get hired on as linebackers coach with the Atlanta Falcons?

He can stay there too.

Killsback
June 8th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Rumor in Carbondale is that Kill was talked to by the AD and he told him he was not interested at this time.

Too many off the field problems with their program, title IX, academics...

CopperCat
June 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Rumor in Carbondale is that Kill was talked to by the AD and he told him he was not interested at this time.

Too many off the field problems with their program, title IX, academics...

Then maybe SIU needs to follow suit and fire their coach too.....xrolleyesx

dbackjon
June 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Then maybe SIU needs to follow suit and fire their coach too.....xrolleyesx

I think he was refering to MSU...

already123
June 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
MSU should just hire Lulay...