PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay.......

BrevardMountaineer03
May 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Okay, I got a Masters from Appalachian, but live close to Western Carolina and I was thinking about getting my Doctoral Degree......What do AGSers think about getting another degree from a Rival Institution?

BrevardMountaineer03
May 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Discuss.....
I won't vote, I'm just curious to see what everyone says....Thanks ya'll

appfan2008
wouldnt do it

BrevardMountaineer03
wouldnt do it

Just Curious, why not?

blueballs
May 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Your best interests education and career wise trump any athletic rivalry. You gotta do right by yourself and your family.

BrevardMountaineer03
May 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Your best interests education and career wise trump any athletic rivalry. You gotta do right by yourself and your family.

Interesting name.....

Interesting comments, I tend to lean to your thinking, but just want to see what everyone else feels.
Thanks for the input.

th0m
May 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Of course you should.

McNeese75
May 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Yes. See Blueballs :)

youwouldno
May 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Grad school doesn't really effect sports loyalty. It's undergrad that counts. I go to law school at George Mason but I'm not even much a Patriots basketball fan, and they aren't a rival of Furman.

travelinman67
May 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Agreed. Depends on the degree of the rivalry, but I really do think you'll sacrifice some of the job/business prospect benefits when dealing with other undergrad alum.

BrevardMountaineer03
May 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Grad school doesn't really effect sports loyalty. It's undergrad that counts. I go to law school at George Mason but I'm not even much a Patriots basketball fan, and they aren't a rival of Furman.

Then should my loyalty be to Lenoir-Rhyne (Undergrad), or Appalachian (Grad School)?

NDSUFREAK
May 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Never in hell would I go to north dakota universiDEE-DEE-DEE!http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/dedeedee.jpg

melloAggiesousa
May 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
My brother-in-law received his Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from California State University, Sacramento and his Master's Degree in Engineering from UC Davis.

It helped him get his dream job at Edwards AFB working on...I can't tell you.

Do what you need to do, where you can. Sports are for fun; education is for life!

ButlerGSU
May 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I went to not to be named I-A in state university for my first masters. You're always true to your undergraduate university or college but when it comes to education you have to put that ahead of anything to do with athletics. Besides, every school can't be the best at everything.

james_lawfirm
May 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Your loyalty really does stay with your undergrad school. So, you can get a higher degree from a rival. Usually.

Unless that rival is in a town affectionately known as the 'Whee. Don't do it - no matter what.

Ever thought of another major at ASU, in say, Ancient Chinese literature?

Just kidding.

Seawolf97
May 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Go for it!

BeauFoster
May 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Are you sure a degree from WCU would actually further your career?

That was a joke. If the degree is something that you want and it can help you provide for yourself and your family, I say go for it. Your heart can still be partial to App, and you will get in to an ASU-WCU game for free. Sounds like a win-win to me!

GoldandBlack
May 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
See poll results- 'nuff said.xnodx

HiHiYikas
May 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
What sort of Doctorate does one get from WCU? I'm curious.

My tendency (at least on the East Coast) would be to look at the BCS-type schools, which tend to be large research U's or highly esteemed private's. The Ivy league would be an exception, of course.

ngineer
May 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Could never do as Lafayette does not have a graduate program. Several of my Lafayette friends received Masters and Ph.D's from Lehigh,however.

Tod
May 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM
My brother-in-law received his Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from California State University, Sacramento and his Master's Degree in Engineering from UC Davis.

It helped him get his dream job at Edwards AFB working on...I can't tell you.

Do what you need to do, where you can. Sports are for fun; education is for life!

Let's hope you can't tell us because you don't know, not because your brother-in-law broke the law by sharing national secrets. xnonox xnonox

BM03, get your degree anywhere you want, whatever is best for you, your education, and your future. Period.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
xeekx xeekx No, don't do it! xeekx xeekx :D

BrevardMountaineer03
May 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM
What sort of Doctorate does one get from WCU? I'm curious.

My tendency (at least on the East Coast) would be to look at the BCS-type schools, which tend to be large research U's or highly esteemed private's. The Ivy league would be an exception, of course.

Ed. D. (Doctor of Education)
App has one as well, however, with working 40+ hours a week and family, I would want to stay as close to home as possible.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments, thanks for taking this seriously and not as some lame post.
This is a great community!

BigApp
May 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
hell NO!

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
wouldnt do it

Wow, this is pretty ridiculous. You can't have an allegiance to your first school and go to another? The last time I checked the purpose of going to college was to get an education, not to be incorporated into the fan base of the respective institution. If you wouldn't do it, fine that's alright. But if I wanted a degree in something that was better at one university than the other, and that university happened to be a rival school, I wouldn't even blink sending in my paperwork.

Eyes of Old Main
May 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I might as well, it's not like I could get a Masters in anything from Wofford (we don't have a grad school for anything).

If that weren't the case, I don't see a problem with it. Withthe exception of one friend who went to Spring Hill and then went to Law School at LSU, I don't know anyone who is an active fan of their grad school's team over their undergrad school's team.

WUTNDITWAA
May 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I voted "no" for cause, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Does UNC-Asheville have the degree?

Johnny5
May 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah...I voted si....Education is more important than any sporting events to me at least.

ucdtim17
May 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I have a buddy who had Sac State as a safety school if he didn't get into the 12 other schools he was applying to for accounting. He's going to Vanderbilt in the fall.

I couldn't ever see myself there for anything but I agree your allegiences are formed with your undergrad experience

813Jag
May 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't stop you. I know plenty of people who went to Grambling for grad school. Just make sure you're on the right side come Classic time xlolx

BlueHen03
May 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Getting yourself ahead in life is more important that a football rivalry. Do what you gotta do to get where you need to be.

Just wear App gear every time you are on campus. xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I would, and I'd start going to football games, but the team that you grew up pulling for or at least your undergraduate institution should still be #1 in your heart :D

MarkCCU
May 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM
do what's best and right for you

BrevardMountaineer03
May 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Just wear App gear every time you are on campus. xthumbsupx

I just might have toxthumbsupx
I appreciate everyone's sentiments.

BrevardMountaineer03
May 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Does UNC-Asheville have the degree?

Unfortunately no, they don't have a Doctoral program from what I can see.
Good suggestion thoughxthumbsupx

Walkon79
May 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Wow, this is pretty ridiculous. You can't have an allegiance to your first school and go to another? The last time I checked the purpose of going to college was to get an education, not to be incorporated into the fan base of the respective institution. If you wouldn't do it, fine that's alright. But if I wanted a degree in something that was better at one university than the other, and that university happened to be a rival school, I wouldn't even blink sending in my paperwork.

I know dozens of UM Law School graduates who did their undergrad at MSU. Now I three two reasons to dislike them!

1. Ambulance chasing losers
2. Ride the fence every third week in November
3. Traitors!!

Walkon79
May 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I know dozens of UM Law School graduates who did their undergrad at MSU. Now I have three reasons to dislike them!

1. Ambulance chasing losers
2. Ride the fence every third week in November
3. Traitors!!

(Let me fix that) I could probably think of a few more!!

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Never in hell would I go to north dakota universiDEE-DEE-DEE!

I'd have to agree, even though several of my family have attended UND.

Go...gate
May 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Any time you can better yourself, you should do it. By all means, go get the degree. You can still keep your heart with your favorite team.

BEAR
May 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I voted yes. I don't see what getting my doctrate from another school has to do with my alma mater. When it comes to feeding the family, and my alma doesn't offer it, no big deal. I love UCA. But they don't have a masters in journalism, so I could go to UALR. No biggie. It's not like I'm going to get a hate letter from UCA stating I'm a traitor...ha!xlolx

Col Hogan
May 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Go where you get the best degree...the best offer...

It's been said by others, but your undergrad degree school is usually the team you root for for life...everything else is real world experience...

terrierbob
May 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM

__________________________________________________ _______________

I went to Tenn. for grad school. and they're my fourth or fifth favorite SEC team.

WCU LawCat
May 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Glad you are considering Western. Both schools are very similar and both have good education programs. One thing I can tell you is that if you wear App gear you are subject to random floggings at the Bell Tower!xlolx

Ivytalk
May 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Could never do as Lafayette does not have a graduate program. Several of my Lafayette friends received Masters and Ph.D's from Lehigh,however.

You mean that Lafayette Law diploma on your wall is a fake??xconfusedx :p

BrevardMountaineer03
May 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Glad you are considering Western. Both schools are very similar and both have good education programs. One thing I can tell you is that if you wear App gear you are subject to random floggings at the Bell Tower!xlolx

I'll be sure to be careful around the bell tower, thanks!

already123
May 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I think it is ok for higher education. At the point, its about your degree, career, and making a better life for yourself...not football. As long as that particular institution is top notch for what you are seeking, its ok by my book.
Personally, I would still be on that rival campus wearing my colors!lol

ButlerGSU
May 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I went where I was offered the most $ for the assistantship...sounds like you are working a full time job though...

blackfordpu
May 30th, 2007, 08:03 AM

agreed

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Okay, I got a Masters from Appalachian, but live close to Western Carolina and I was thinking about getting my Doctoral Degree......What do AGSers think about getting another degree from a Rival Institution?

C'mon dude, football is a great sport but it isn't THAT important.

Husky Alum
May 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM
No chance in he-ll I'd pay money to Boston College or Boston University for ANYTHING. I hate buying a soda when I go to a game there knowing that those places are profiting.

I've already started implanting the thought in my kids' heads that BC and BU are EVIL.

Then again, I went home to the New Haven area a couple of weeks ago and walked around Yale with my wife and kids (My wife had never seen the campus) and my oldest said to me "Dad, this looks like a pretty cool place, can I go to school here?" Kind of hard to say "no, you can't go to Yale if you get in".

lizrdgizrd
May 30th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Being a football fan won't pay the bills, so go to whatever school will give you the best education you can get. Then send your extra money to the football school of your choice. xthumbsupx