PDA

View Full Version : SIU raises $150,000 towards new stadiums

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051707aaa.html

"May 17, 2007

By Tom Weber
www.SIUSalukis.com

CARBONDALE, Ill. - For 17 years, the Saluki Chicagoland Golf Outing has raised money to help Saluki Athletics. Financial assistance has gone to a wide range of projects, including the ticketing system, the baseball scoreboard, computers for the academic center and scholarships.

Now, the organizers of the event have decided to pledge the majority of the receipts for the next 10 years to help finance Saluki Way. An estimated $150,000 will go toward construction that includes a new football stadium and renovation of SIU Arena. "

Ronbo
May 24th, 2007, 03:06 AM
They got a ways to go. Just our 2000 seat expansion with Club Level is costing $6,000,000. To build Griz stadium today would probably run $40,000,000.

youwouldno
May 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah. 150K isn't even a drop in the bucket for a stadium.

AmsterBison
May 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Hey, that's pretty good for one golf outing.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Hey, that's pretty good for one golf outing.
that's what I thought. For them to put anything into football will be impressive.

BeauFoster
May 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I know that most all ASU fans would be thrilled if the upcoming golf outing produced $150k. The Salukis should be proud.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The way the article read to me, the total of the 10 years worth of golf outings would be 150k.

Seahawks Fan
May 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
It's a start, but what you really need is some wealthy alumni to donate big bucks. I would guess that a modest 3,500 seat stadium and Field Turf (this is what Wagner recently did) would cost in the area of $3 million.

douglasdmb
May 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
As great as SIU's athletic program is, it's a wonder why they can't get a little more financial support. I guess they're up against some stiff competition with the Fighting Illini right in their backyard.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
As great as SIU's athletic program is, it's a wonder why they can't get a little more financial support. I guess they're up against some stiff competition with the Fighting Illini right in their backyard.

Illini are about 4 hours north aren't they. I think it's more that they are THE school in Illinois to most people.

89Hen
May 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I echo some of the other comments... kudos on raising the money, but towards construction of a new stadium... xeyebrowx I'm not sure you can even retain an architect to study it for that.

SO ILLmatic
May 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
champaign-urbana is around 3.5 hours north of carbondale.

the 150k raised will go towards the arena before it goes towards football. as displayed in coach lowery's recent pay hike, the administration is more concerned about the basketball program than the football program. this can also be seen by the lack of students & fans in the football stands. it doesnt help that the state typically gives more money to schools like U of I & NIU and there is a small, commuter school in the St. Louis metropolitan area that needs more funds because they want to come up & play in the Summit League.

the football stadium will eventually come, but alot of the fans will not help pay for it. i wish the administration would let a company come in to get the naming rights and provide construction assistance. but again what company would want their name on a structure in the middle of nowhere

douglasdmb
May 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
it doesnt help that the state typically gives more money to schools like U of I & NIU and there is a small, commuter school in the St. Louis metropolitan area that needs more funds because they want to come up & play in the Summit League.

Are you talking about SIU-E?

appfan2008
May 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
i wish we could get stadiums built that much in todays world

SO ILLmatic
May 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
edwardsville is who i speak of

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
champaign-urbana is around 3.5 hours north of carbondale.

the 150k raised will go towards the arena before it goes towards football. as displayed in coach lowery's recent pay hike, the administration is more concerned about the basketball program than the football program. this can also be seen by the lack of students & fans in the football stands. it doesnt help that the state typically gives more money to schools like U of I & NIU and there is a small, commuter school in the St. Louis metropolitan area that needs more funds because they want to come up & play in the Summit League.

the football stadium will eventually come, but alot of the fans will not help pay for it. i wish the administration would let a company come in to get the naming rights and provide construction assistance. but again what company would want their name on a structure in the middle of nowhere
Good to see a Saluki poster back in action. Thanks for the insight.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
edwardsville is who i speak of

I wish they'd just change their name to Edwardsville. xnonono2x

SO ILLmatic
May 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I wish they'd just change their name to Edwardsville. xnonono2x

welcome to the club.
their students refer to themselves as edwardsville. our fans, students, & the national media refer to us as SIU.

But the administrations are deadset on the abbreviations of SIU-C & SIU-E.

I just hope the national media doesnt refer to us as SIU-C whenever edwardsville starts in d1.

SIUallDay
June 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM
and what really sucks is that So Ill has so much trouble raising money for anything huge and SIU is one of the better football schools in FCS and in college basketball....sponsorship would help alot...and you have garbage schools w/ multi-million dollar venues

th0m
June 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
SIU is indeed a good FCS school, contending in the playoffs quite often, but when I look at your attendance, it's 37th with 9508. Of the Illinois trio in the Gateway, youre the lowest in attendance. With the addition of SDSU and NDSU to the Gateway and the departure of WKU, you'd only be in front of Missouri State and Indiana State; two teams that don't come close to having put the kind of product on the field that you guys have.

TheBisonator
June 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
SIU is indeed a good FCS school, contending in the playoffs quite often, but when I look at your attendance, it's 37th with 9508. Of the Illinois trio in the Gateway, youre the lowest in attendance. With the addition of SDSU and NDSU to the Gateway and the departure of WKU, you'd only be in front of Missouri State and Indiana State; two teams that don't come close to having put the kind of product on the field that you guys have.

Actually, they'd only be in front of Indiana State. :( Missouri State averaged just over 10,000 last year. Still, I think that SIU is capable of upping the attendance to be middle of the pack in the Gateway.

BearsCountry
July 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM
I hate to see our attendance when we have a good team. Probally average close to sell out each night with a winner.

th0m
July 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM
Actually, they'd only be in front of Indiana State. :( Missouri State averaged just over 10,000 last year. Still, I think that SIU is capable of upping the attendance to be middle of the pack in the Gateway.

I stand corrected. Somehow I missed them just 3 lines up.

ShowMeBear2
July 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
SIU has 2 great programs for major sports. Hopefully they fare better money wise.

douglasdmb
July 1st, 2007, 02:37 PM
I hate to see our attendance when we have a good team. Probally average close to sell out each night with a winner.

I would hope so. Somehow, though, I fear that we'd still only average 12k with a winning team. Maybe that's the MO State pessimism speaking, but oh well. ;)