PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Conference 2007

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
What do you guys think? I like UNI with YSU and Illinois State right behind them. Western Illinois and Southern Illinois are certainly capable of sliding up there, but I expect Missouri State and Indiana State to stay in the basement.

Good riddance, WKU, we hardly knew ye and won't miss you. xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
May 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
What do you guys think? I like UNI with YSU and Illinois State right behind them. Western Illinois and Southern Illinois are certainly capable of sliding up there, but I expect Missouri State and Indiana State to stay in the basement.

Good riddance, WKU, we hardly knew ye and won't miss you. xthumbsupx

1-UNI
2-YSU
3-WIU
4-SIU
5-ILSU
6-MSU
7-INSU

My 2-5 picks are up really up in the air. I think the first 5 will all at least 6-7 wins; but I think YSU and WIU are going to be most solid this year out of those 4. UNI on paper should win this conference; let's see if they re'pete' 2006; WHICH I DOUBT. UNI is absolutely loaded; and I can see them easily making it to 'nooga this year!

Bottom Line: The Gateway will continue to get stronger as more people realize it's the strongest conference top to bottom in FCS Football.

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Bottom Line: The Gateway will continue to get stronger as more people realize it's the strongest conference top to bottom in FCS Football.

It's going to be crazy in 08 with the XDSU's. I think the CAA is pretty much even with the Gateway in strength. UNH, JMU and UMass will all return good teams, Townson is on the rise, and I predict Delaware will be back to it's old self if they can hold off injuries.

BearsCountry
May 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Bears will be close to the bottom but they will suprise a team or two. Our team will be one for the future.

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Bears will be close to the bottom but they will suprise a team or two. Our team will be one for the future.

I agree. I've seen what TA can do. I would predict 3 Gateway wins for the Bears this year. Hope we're not one of them. xthumbsupx

Go Bison
May 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Has UNI improved their defense? How did they give up 47 points to Southern Illinois last year?

nmatsen
May 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I beleive they gave up 6 on a pick and 6 on a return. That still means they gave up 33 on defense. But, at the end of the year, who didn't SIU put up 33 on?

Go Bison
May 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I beleive they gave up 6 on a pick and 6 on a return. That still means they gave up 33 on defense. But, at the end of the year, who didn't SIU put up 33 on?

Thanks for the info. I just looked at the scores and that one really jumped out at me. I pay attention to the Gateway conference but not as much as I should(that is why I don't vote in the AGS poll). Next year will be different though. xthumbsupx

crunifan
May 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I think UNI has the talent to win the National Championship next year. But I am cautious until I see the team play some good teams. The schedule is at our advantage (SIU and Youngstown at home) and we have tons of returning talent. This should be our year!

Paladin1aa
May 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
1. YSU
1. UNI
3. ILS
4. SIU
5. WIU
6. MSU
7. INS

Three to the play-offs and possibly 4.

RabidRabbit
May 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Western IL can only make the play-offs if they win their xDSU home games. IMHO, I doubt they'll win those.

Likewise, IL St. goes to Fargo, and if they lose there plus twice in Gateway, they may find themselves looking from the outside.

SIU has good OOC, and I like that Hampton and SIU have a challenging last game.

SUU took on a murderous row of opponents this year, including 3 Gateway contenders. If they pick off any of the 3....

UNI will need to be 3-1 in OOC, and going to Brookings will not be easy.

My Gateway projections are:

#4 YSU 9-2, 5-1
#12 UNI 7-4, 4-2
#17 Il St. 7-4, 4-2
#19 SIU 7-4, 3-3
#42 WIU 4-7, 3-3
Mo St 3-8, 2-4
In St. 3-8, 1-5

Granted, I'm an outsider looking in, but it only May! :p

X-Factor
May 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
What is Western Ill. returning and why do some have them near the top of the conf?

They have 6 homes games, but many are against teams ranked in the top 25 from last year.

OOC: NDSU, SDSU, St. Francis, @SFA
Conf: @ISU, MSU, UNI, @Ill. St., SIU, @YSU

Johnny5
May 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM
1-UNI
2-YSU
3-WIU
4-SIU
5-ILSU
6-MSU
7-INSU

I tend to agree with Fly here. There is no reason UNI shouldn't finish 1st this year they are returning too much in the way of starters. WIU will make a strong push for the #2 spot, it has been too long without them as serious contenders for the Gateway Crown. SIU lost a premier runner as did YSU, but knowing the type of team they are....SIU probably has a million running backs in the wings getting ready. YSU can finish anywhere from 2-5 with a young team coming back. A similarity to SIU, YSU tends to stockpile runners. I think MSU will start their comeback trail from the Gateway gutter...and not knowing much about ILSU and INSU I cannot say too much, other than it will be once again a tough year to be a tree.

DallasNeck
May 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Western has to have a quarterback step up and find a defensive line to improve from the middle of the pack in the Gateway.

douglasdmb
May 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM
What/who does WIU return this season?

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Has UNI improved their defense? How did they give up 47 points to Southern Illinois last year?

I'd love to know. Radio only game. Almost worse to me than the UND loss. xsmhx

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
#4 YSU 9-2, 5-1
#12 UNI 7-4, 4-2
#17 Il St. 7-4, 4-2
#19 SIU 7-4, 3-3
#42 WIU 4-7, 3-3
Mo St 3-8, 2-4
In St. 3-8, 1-5

Doesn't add up. UNI has 5 non conf. Whatever MN D II school, Drake, Iowa State, SDSU and Southern Utah.

Johnny5
May 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Doesn't add up. UNI has 5 non conf. Whatever MN D II school, Drake, Iowa State, SDSU and Southern Utah.

Maybe he is saying YSU will finally beat UNI xnodx xthumbsupx xnutsx

RabidRabbit
May 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM

xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx AGS!!!! Of course UNI would need to win at Brookings, and I'm hopping xlolx that the Jacks will thump some Panther on their home turf.

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM

I say UNI goes at least 8-3, and YSU may do the same. I give UNI the leg up on YSU, at least based on what knowledge I have of both teams.

FlyYtown
May 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
The reason I have YSU so high up is 7 HOME GAMES. Year in and Year out; they find ways to win at home. They also have a very favorable home schedule with the tough ones looking to be vs. ILSU and SDSU.

I see that as 7-0.
Then you have 4 on the road @ OSU; UNI; SIU, & INSU.
I see us having no shot at OSU. We never beat UNI. We should be able to find a way to beat SIU this year. I just they will be hurting w/o Whitlock. And of course; we will beat INSU.

That makes us 9-2. Even a loss @ SIU; makes us 8-3 and we still should make the playoffs; but that would make a carbon copy of 2005.

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
The reason I have YSU so high up is 7 HOME GAMES. Year in and Year out; they find ways to win at home. They also have a very favorable home schedule with the tough ones looking to be vs. ILSU and SDSU.

I see that as 7-0.
Then you have 4 on the road @ OSU; UNI; SIU, & INSU.
I see us having no shot at OSU. We never beat UNI. We should be able to find a way to beat SIU this year. I just they will be hurting w/o Whitlock. And of course; we will beat INSU.

That makes us 9-2. Even a loss @ SIU; makes us 8-3 and we still should make the playoffs; but that would make a carbon copy of 2005.

I didn't even think about the 7 home game factor......could be interesting at the end of the season.

SO ILLmatic
May 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
unless we get a new d-coordinator between now and the first game i think we will have problems. the same problems that have occured the past couple of years in terms of pass D. i think there are some skillful players in the secondary, but the way they are used puts them at a disadvantage.

i think there are also some questions of the other side of the ball, esp. at with the running backs.

i like y-town at the top of the gateway in 2007.

igo4uni
May 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
We never beat UNI.

We are looking forward to your visit to the fabulous UNI-Dome this fall!!!

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM

actually it does add up. I'm stupid. :D

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM

streaks gotta give someday.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM
unless we get a new d-coordinator between now and the first game i think we will have problems. the same problems that have occured the past couple of years in terms of pass D. i think there are some skillful players in the secondary, but the way they are used puts them at a disadvantage.

i think there are also some questions of the other side of the ball, esp. at with the running backs.

i like y-town at the top of the gateway in 2007.

your d had no trouble with us last year. xnonono2x

Johnny5
May 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
streaks gotta give someday.

Maybe so.....I can dream can't I.xthumbsupx

BearsCountry
May 25th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Mo St 3-8, 2-4

Umm the Bears have at least two OOC wins easily in UMR and SEMO. And maybe even a good shot at UCA and Tennessee-Martin.

douglasdmb
May 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Eh, I for sure wouldn't put money on us stealing one from UT-Martin on their home field. I will say that we could probably finish 4-7, maybe even better if we can upset SIU or WIU on the road. Here's how I see our season going:

vs. Missouri-Rolla W
at UT-Martin L
at Kansas St. L
vs. UCA W
at YSU L
vs. Illinois St. L
at WIU L
at SIU L
vs. Indiana St. W
vs. UNI L
vs. SEMO W

PantherRob82
May 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Eh, I for sure wouldn't put money on us stealing one from UT-Martin on their home field. I will say that we could probably finish 4-7, maybe even better if we can upset SIU or WIU on the road. Here's how I see our season going:

vs. Missouri-Rolla W
at UT-Martin L
at Kansas St. L
vs. UCA W
at YSU L
vs. Illinois St. L
at WIU L
at SIU L
vs. Indiana St. W
vs. UNI L
vs. SEMO W

I would agree. 4-7 is very doable. UCA might be more tough than we think though.

SO ILLmatic
May 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
your d had no trouble with us last year. xnonono2x

they have their good games, its a rarity though

i wouldnt, and dont, expect the same outcome this year
Esp. since this year's game is at the dome

Go Bison
May 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I think NDSU will go undefeated in the Gateway conference this year(2-0). The Illinois State will be a very good game at the Fargodome.

PantherRob82
May 25th, 2007, 02:43 PM
they have their good games, its a rarity though

i wouldnt, and dont, expect the same outcome this year
Esp. since this year's game is at the dome

who knows anymore? :D

FlyYtown
May 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Can anyone explain this? Gateway TV Deal (http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600&ATCLID=825374)

I know many other FCS Conferences have signed up with this America Channel; but does anyone even have it and what games are they going to show?

I'd like to get this channel just to watch FCS football every Saturday!
GO PENGUINS

PantherRob82
May 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Can anyone explain this? Gateway TV Deal (http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600&ATCLID=825374)

I know many other FCS Conferences have signed up with this America Channel; but does anyone even have it and what games are they going to show?

I'd like to get this channel just to watch FCS football every Saturday!
GO PENGUINS

Not sure what will press cable companies to add the America channel. I know Mediacom is still debating the Big Ten Channel and the NFL network, can't imagine they would add an independent channel unless it was a really good financial deal.

PantherRob82
May 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
From their FAQ:
How can I get America Channel® ?
Several U.S. domestic telcos plan to launch America Channel. We estimate that we've reached agreement with 90% of the projected telco video space. When your telephone company introduces television service to your area, chances are America Channel will be available. RCN will also carry America Channel in NY, Boston, DC, Lehigh Valley, PA, and Chicago. We are also working hard to secure carriage with additional distributors in advance of our launch later this year.

BillLuc1982
May 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
YSU is more likely to beat OSU than they are to beat UNI's cheerleaders. However, I'd count on winning Powerball before either of those happen.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 02:08 AM
YSU is more likely to beat OSU than they are to beat UNI's cheerleaders. However, I'd count on winning Powerball before either of those happen.

I have a bad feeling that this could be the year for the Penguins in the Dome. 15th anniversary of the 92 semifinal game. xbawlingx

Johnny5
May 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I have a bad feeling that this could be the year for the Penguins in the Dome. 15th anniversary of the 92 semifinal game. xbawlingx

At least we won when it counted right? xlolx too bad we can't beat you guys anyother time.

ISUMatt
May 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
1. UNI
2. YSU
3. ILS
4. SIU
5. WIU
6. MSU
7. INS

Top 3 make playoffs

Mountain Panther
May 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
1. UNI
2. YSU
3. ILS
4. SIU
5. WIU
6. MSU
7. INS

Top 3 make playoffs

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!
http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/images/artist/l/lil_jon/az_official/281x211.jpg

GoGuins
June 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
IMO UNI is the favorite, YSU could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th

douglasdmb
June 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'd have to say UNI as well, but they were also the favorite last year, were they not?

FlyYtown
June 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
1-UNI
2-YSU
3-4-5:
SPLIT BETWEEN WIU-ILSU-SIU
These three will beat up on eachother and prevent each one from winning the conf.

Mountain Panther
June 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I'd have to say UNI as well, but they were also the favorite last year, were they not?

Yes, but we were coming off a runner-up season and expectations were high....unfortunately consistent play on the field couldn't match the hype.

This year we should have a lot of the wrinkles ironed out.

PantherRob82
June 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I would say UNI or Il State.

leatherneck177
June 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I'll say UNI. They are returning quite a bit and seem to always fill their skill positions with key players that transfer in or younger players in the program who step up.

I'd also like to say that WIU will be a darkhorse and could make things interesting, possibly finishing 3rd.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM
All I can say is go get 'em Indiana St! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

douglasdmb
June 26th, 2007, 11:42 AM
How many teams do you feel will make the playoffs? The poll has 3 of the 4 schools bunched up. What are your thoughts about getting all 3 teams in?

It will probably depend on the rest of the FCS (see YSU two years ago).

BearsCountry
June 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Gateway should get 3 in this year. UNI, YSU, and pick an Illinois school.

Next year the Gateway is going to be really really fun.

Mountain Panther
June 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Does anyone else think that Illinois State will be that good this year. I didnt think they would be better than 3rd, however the poll gives them a lot of support.

Winner of Youngstown/Northern Iowa is my pick. That will be the only conference loss for either school. Since the game is at the Dome, my guess is UNI.

A Redbird fan (which I guess would be ISUMatt since he's the only one on here) should reply with what key positions were lost from last year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM
If the top three are that strong (meaning no in conference upsets), then there is strong reason to believe that at least 3 (UNI, YSU, and ISU) would get in with likely SIU a somewhat distant 4th. A lot depends on OOC play and how the chips fall in other conferences. A perfect storm must happen for a conference like the Gateway or the CAA to get 4 teams. It'll be that much tougher with NDSU joining the field in all likelihood next season. Enjoy the bids while you can. Competition is only getting stronger!

The only sure thing is that YSU and UNI are the front runners. Also, given their schedules, especially YSU, it is hard not to favor them. But as in any conference, a team is one or two injuries away from a lackluster season.

PantherRob82
June 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'd also like to say that WIU will be a darkhorse and could make things interesting, possibly finishing 3rd.

That's WIU every year. ;)

PantherRob82
June 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
How many teams do you feel will make the playoffs? The poll has 3 of the 4 schools bunched up. What are your thoughts about getting all 3 teams in?

3 teams is definitely doable. They need to beat the bottom tier teams though. If UNI takes care of WIU last year, they would've been the 3rd Gateway team in.

PantherRob82
June 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
A Redbird fan (which I guess would be ISUMatt since he's the only one on here) should reply with what key positions were lost from last year.

The Redbirds are looking good. Retruning Drone is enough to say they'll be competitive. If they get the teamwork aspect going, they've got the talent.

PantherRob82
June 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
It'll be that much tougher with NDSU joining the field in all likelihood next season. Enjoy the bids while you can. Competition is only getting stronger!

Adding NDSU and SDSU may make a 3 bid year more of the norm and 4 every now and then. If OOC is good, even with beating each other up, 3 out of the UNI, Il St, YSU, SIU and NDSU may not be enough. :D

douglasdmb
June 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Adding NDSU and SDSU may make a 3 bid year more of the norm and 4 every now and then. If OOC is good, even with beating each other up, 3 out of the UNI, Il St, YSU, SIU and NDSU may not be enough. :D

MO State could very well be in that group by that time.xnodx

FlyYtown
June 26th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Reason I have YSU in front of Illinois St. is one reason: ILLINOIS ST. IS PLAYING YSU in Youngstown. Over the last 3 years, our last 2 losses at home have been to Northern Iowa.

We are a combined 13-2 in our last 15 games at home; and 12-1 over the last 2 years. I just think its far too tough for any team, other than UNI, to actually come into the Ice Castle and beat us at home. The 4th quarters have been the killer for many teams in those last 3 years. Those teams would include MSU, ILSU, JMU, and WIU.

windwalker
June 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I picked the RedBirds... but then I am biased... I am an alumni...

Yeah they lost a very good RB... and a few more... but they should be very tough.

The Gateway, as in past years, should be exciting to watch.

ISUMatt
June 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
We lost Sisko, but still have Campbell, lost some OL and DL line, but we already were pretty deep there...We lost L-ROB, HUGE LOSS, but we have taken in 2 WR transfers and are re-loading there...We lost RB Pierre Rembert, but we add a transfer from K-St, and return Geno Blow and Raphael Rice...Drone is a stud at QB!!!

Our kicking and special teams is bad...We will compete, we will be tough, but our last open game we scheduled @ ND State, OUCH!!! I like our chances of being in the Top 3 in the Gateway

GatewayFan
June 26th, 2007, 11:36 PM
YSU in 08 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BearsCountry
June 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM
We are a combined 13-2 in our last 15 games at home; and 12-1 over the last 2 years. I just think its far too tough for any team, other than UNI, to actually come into the Ice Castle and beat us at home. The 4th quarters have been the killer for many teams in those last 3 years. Those teams would include MSU, ILSU, JMU, and WIU.

No kidding about that. I dont know how many games MSU has took into the 4th quarter close but end up getting blown out.

WYOBISONMAN
June 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM
The Gateway will be a bloodbath like usual, and worse next year when the Bison are going for an autobid!

RabidRabbit
June 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Not that it matters til next year when the Bunnies and Bison join this shooting match, but this Rabbit will share Rabid thoughts about the Gateway. xreadx

YSU/UNI/Il St/SIU/WIU/Mo St/In St. - Co-champs YSU/UNI - UNI tie-breaker in beat YSU @ Cedar Falls.

2 teams make play-offs YSU & UNI (AQ)

IL St - out of play-offs due to NDSU + FBS losses & 2 in conference.

SIU - Maybe in because of "softer" OOC. Will need to beat Hampton to make it in if 2 or more loses in conference.

WIU - with both Dakota St. schools on schedule, I believe WIU is in for a tough year in the win column

Mo. St - still working through lackluster recruits of 2-4 years ago.

In. St. - Trees have alot of growth to be competitive.

PantherRob82
June 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Agreed. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
June 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM
We lost Sisko, but still have Campbell, lost some OL and DL line, but we already were pretty deep there...We lost L-ROB, HUGE LOSS, but we have taken in 2 WR transfers and are re-loading there...We lost RB Pierre Rembert, but we add a transfer from K-St, and return Geno Blow and Raphael Rice...Drone is a stud at QB!!!

Our kicking and special teams is bad...We will compete, we will be tough, but our last open game we scheduled @ ND State, OUCH!!! I like our chances of being in the Top 3 in the Gateway

ND State Will be a good game still. At least you don't have to play last years Bisons.

FlyYtown
June 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Illinois State is starting to pull away in the voting. We are shocked to see that there wasn't much represntation from Northern Iowa or Youngstown St. We will also have to see where Illinois State stands when our conference previews come out in a few weeks.

You got to remember, certain team forums may be more active with readers and those readers may spread the message to vote. I know you posted the link on my site and I appreciate that; but remember my site is new and despite it having success in its first few days, it doesn't compare with the size of the Redbird Nation.

FlyYtown
June 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hey, its good to see those teams all taking part. Dont worry, your fans will come to you site. They have a big enough base. Plus the site looks great.

Thanks thanks and more thanks! The forums don't really show how well traffic is on the site. There is well more than just 12 members because the registrations are via the site, not the forums; and the traffic on the site has reached over 100 people a day!

Hope to see opposing teams fans join the site! I got links up for most sites, but I still need some for MSU-INSU-WIU!

BearsCountry
June 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks thanks and more thanks! The forums don't really show how well traffic is on the site. There is well more than just 12 members because the registrations are via the site, not the forums; and the traffic on the site has reached over 100 people a day!

Hope to see opposing teams fans join the site! I got links up for most sites, but I still need some for MSU-INSU-WIU!

Here is Missouri State's fan site - www.letsgobears.com

FlyYtown
June 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Here is Missouri State's fan site - www.letsgobears.com

Great, I'm adding it as I speak!

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 01:02 AM

I know that Missouri State will not play Pittsburg State again. They made
that clear before the Gorilla busses pulled out of town with a "W"xnodx

douglasdmb
June 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I know that Missouri State will not play Pittsburg State again. They made
that clear before the Gorilla busses pulled out of town with a "W"xnodx

You're probably right. And your point is...?

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
You're probably right. And your point is...?

SMS won't schedule a loss to a D2 team for an OOC game.

BisonBacker
June 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Great, I'm adding it as I speak!
Here's one more for your future conference member NDSU

www.bisonsports.net

RabidRabbit
June 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM
ND State Will be a good game still. At least you don't have to play last years Bisons.

Sorry ISU - based on reading inFORUM, and bisonville, bisonsports.net - Bison this year appear to be as loaded or more so than last year.

The only reason I see SDSU pulling a win, is playing in Brookings this year rather than in the FargoDome.

Not many losses in Fargo, especially when NDSU is "up". And they look to be ''UP" this year.

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Here's one more for your future conference member NDSU

www.bisonsports.net

I repsect the Bison. You take them lightly you will regret it. Trust me.

Jerry Kill hopes that SIU is "picked to finish last. And I will know if you
picked us to win, McNally."

So. I like SIU to win the conference and the National Championship.xthumbsupx

douglasdmb
June 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
SMS won't schedule a loss to a D2 team for an OOC game.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

PMB4Life
June 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Maybe they're going FCS in the next few years....?:D

igo4uni
June 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I repsect the Bison. You take them lightly you will regret it.

Yup.

redbirds2
July 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm a newbie on here. The Gateway is going to be a real battle. Off hand, Northern Iowa looks like the favorite, but you are going to lose your conference opener at ISU. Revenge and our home field advantage with a huge crowd will be unbeatable. Youngtown has to play at UNI and will probably lose again. SIU is going to be a spoiler. It may come down to who doesn't get upset by Indiana StAte, WIU or Missouri State.It should be fun!

Mountain Panther
July 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Northern Iowa looks like the favorite, but you are going to lose your conference opener at ISU.

I don't see that happening IF we continue the momentum from the end of last year, which we're likely to do since 90% of the talent is back. The biggest thing you have going for you is that we usually don't play well in Normal.

FlyYtown
July 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM
All I can hope for is UNI to lose to one of the Illinois Schools. Like Mountain said, they normally don't play well in Normal, and they normally don't play well against the Saluki's either.

The sooner UNI loses, the better it is for the physce of the Penguins, because last year, that ND loss for UNI was very big for the 'Guins and their hopes of a GFC TITLE!

Mountain Panther
July 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Like Mountain said, they normally don't play well in Normal, and they normally don't play well against the Saluki's either.

We played well enough to beat them the last two times they came to the Dome. Just when I thought that 2003 game was the best I'd ever seen in person, the 2005 game was even more memorable. The Egyptian Dogs were ranked higher than we were in that 2005 game too.

FlyYtown
July 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM
We played well enough to beat them the last two times they came to the Dome. Just when I thought that 2003 game was the best I'd ever seen in person, the 2005 game was even more memorable. The Egyptian Dogs were ranked higher than we were in that 2005 game too.

Unlike YSU, SIU gives you guys a run for your money every year, that is what I'm talking about.

BearsCountry
July 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I hope a repeat of 2005 happens when UNI comes to Springfield this year. I bet UNI wouldnt mind a repeat of that season either though.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I repsect the Bison. You take them lightly you will regret it. Trust me.

Jerry Kill hopes that SIU is "picked to finish last. And I will know if you
picked us to win, McNally."

So. I like SIU to win the conference and the National Championship.xthumbsupx
I like the way you think!
xthumbsupx

crunifan
July 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I hope a repeat of 2005 happens when UNI comes to Springfield this year. I bet UNI wouldnt mind a repeat of that season either though.

The only reason we would mind is because Eric Sanders our QB was injured at the beginning of that game (hence why Missouri State won). But, if it leads us to the National Championship game again...I say why not?

Mountain Panther
July 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Yes, only with ONE more win at the end of the playoffs, if you know what I mean. Going back to Chatty but not walking away with the title would break my heart xbawlingx .

skinny_uncle
July 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
With the players SIU lost last year (Whitlock, Jones, Coffin), I will be glad to just get back to the playoffs. Winning the Gateway would be gravy (and a shock).

ISUMatt
July 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
With the players SIU lost last year (Whitlock, Jones, Coffin), I will be glad to just get back to the playoffs. Winning the Gateway would be gravy (and a shock).

Thats how I feel about ISU with losing Sisko, Rembert, and L-ROB...but we were missing L-ROB alot last season and we were successful without him too...Most important cog, QB Luke Drone is returning

BearsCountry
July 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Here is my take on the Bears in 07. Its going to be one of those years with lots of growing pains. Blown out one week, knock off a ranked opponent the next. One of those type years I would imagine. Or basically like the last 17 years of Bears football. Still a year or two away from being a real contenter in the Gateway. Heck half of our team is freshman and redshirt freshman.

Gorilla89
July 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

I don't know, but you have replied more than once.xconfusedx

Mountain Panther
July 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Blown out one week, knock off a ranked opponent the next.........Heck half of our team is freshman and redshirt freshman.

You must have some REALLY talented freshman if you're going to knock off ranked opponents.