PDA

View Full Version : How's your QB situation.

Ronbo
May 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hey, how does your team look at QB this season? Got a solid returner, a new hot prospect, or is your QB position a huge question mark? Does he have a stable of excellent WR's to throw to?

At Montana we have 4 guys that are all originally recruited players. Our projected starter is JR. Cole Bergquist, a starter in 2005 when he was a RS Freshman. He started one game last year. He has a 7-3 overall record in his 10 starts.

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_South_Dak/cole_bergquist2.jpg

Cole is a lunch pail type QB, not flashy, no rocket arm, but accurate and a good runner. He reminds a lot of folks of John Edwards, not flashy but very effective with a good team around him. Edwards led the Griz to the 2001 NC and was 26-4 during his time as starter. Bergquist is pretty accurate with a 60% completion average. This will be his 4th year in the offense and he will have a veteran O-Line, 4 very good RB's, and all the WR's, H-Backs, and TE's return. In 2005 Cole led us to 6-3 record in his nine starts and the team was really young then. Most of the starters on the 2007 team were starters with Cole in 2005.

Cole is being challenged by SO. Clint Stapp, RS Freshman Andrew Selle, and True Freshman Jeff Larson.

MYTAPPY
May 22nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
In excellent shape. xthumbsupx

AppGuy04
May 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM

times 2xthumbsupx

813Jag
May 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Extremely muddled. xconfusedx 3 QBs with starts last year and another who came on in the spring game.
Last year J.C. Lewis was the starter at the begining of the season. But injuries took their toll and his numbers declined. He's a good passer but is the least mobile of the quarterbacks.
C.J. Byrd filled in for Lewis, he is more of a runner than a passer. The running game improved when he played.
Bryant Lee is the most balanced of the 3 he made big plays whenever he was in the game including leading the Jags in the Bayou Classic.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Starting QB is Rhett Bomar, who is a junior this year. We all know about him, right?

Our backup QB, senior Brett Hicks was an All-SLC HM pick after surprisingly taking the starting role last year, skipping the two former starters Pate and Daughtery, who are also both seniors this year. Hicks, started eight games and had the 11th highest season passing total in school history

Ronbo
May 22nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
The pic above is Cole making an option pitch not a dying duck pass. xlolx

GoGuins
May 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
4 year starter in Tom Zetts returning and back-up Todd Rowan will be a good one. So good shape

JDC325
May 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Hold on let me get my crystal ball......:( I guess GSU will find out in the fall.

Mountaineer#96
May 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
It is nice to have a back-up who could start anywhere in the country.......:)

tsutiger
May 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
xthumbsupx

He'll be conference player of the year.

crunifan
May 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Eric Sanders is back for his senior year, this will be his 3rd full year of starting. Hopefully he takes us back to the NC again!

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
At Montana we have 4 guys that are all originally recruited players. Our projected starter is JR. Cole Bergquist, a starter in 2005 when he was a RS Freshman. He started one game last year. He has a 7-3 overall record in his 10 starts.

Cole is a lunch pail type QB, not flashy, no rocket arm, but accurate and a good runner. He reminds a lot of folks of John Edwards, not flashy but very effective with a good team around him. Edwards led the Griz to the 2001 NC and was 26-4 during his time as starter. Bergquist is pretty accurate with a 60% completion average. This will be his 4th year in the offense and he will have a veteran O-Line, 4 very good RB's, and all the WR's, H-Backs, and TE's return. In 2005 Cole led us to 6-3 record in his nine starts and the team was really young then. Most of the starters on the 2007 team were starters with Cole in 2005.

Cole is being challenged by SO. Clint Stapp, RS Freshman Andrew Selle, and True Freshman Jeff Larson.

I wish they would've stuck with Cole, although Swogger got them to the semis.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

who's your backup?

PantherRob82
Starting QB is Rhett Bomar, who is a junior this year. We all know about him, right?

has Bomar been officially named starter?

andy7171
Two year starter Sean Schaefer returns for his Junior year. Ask any Blue Hen fan how good he is! :)

UNH 40
May 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
It is the one position for the wildcats that makes me a little nervous, we have had a lack of production from our QB for the last two to three years.xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Eric Sanders is back for his senior year, this will be his 3rd full year of starting. Hopefully he takes us back to the NC again!

It's scary. The two QB's before Sanders went down in their senior years giving way to a freshman starter. Good news this year is that the backup is not a freshman. I'm pretty interested to see what Grace and Eyman will do behind Sanders.

andy7171
May 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
It is the one position for the wildcats that makes me a little nervous, we have had a lack of production from our QB for the last two to three years.xsmiley_wix
xlolx xlolx xlolx

bandl
May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
It's Good. You'll see. xnodx xnodx

bison95
May 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
The get much better than Walker xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AppGuy04
May 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
It is nice to have a back-up who could start anywhere in the country.......:)

almost anywherexsmiley_wix

Ronbo
May 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
I wish they would've stuck with Cole, although Swogger got them to the semis.

The fans were split last year on who was better. Cole is very mobile and can pick up 10-15 yards on broken plays or on QB option runs. He avoids the sack better than Swogger. Swogger could fire the ball to the sidelines but seemed to overthrow receivers down field. Cole doesn't get the ball to the sideline as quickly as Josh could but is more accurate hitting receivers long.

patssle
May 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
has Bomar been officially named starter?

yes.

Our QB situation...well I'd say it's in good shape with one of the biggest players ever in FCS :)

SunCoastBlueHen
May 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Two year starter Sean Schaefer returns for his Junior year. Ask any Blue Hen fan how good he is! :)

xnodx xnodx xnodx

MYTAPPY
May 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
who's your backup?

Just a guy by the name of Elder who started the NC game in '05.

AppGuy04
May 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
yes.

Our QB situation...well I'd say it's in good shape with one of the biggest players ever in FCS :)

did anyone ever really think Bomar wouldn't start?

patssle
May 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
not really.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
The Hens will start 6'6" 230 lb Sr. Joe Flacco. Flacco has a cannon for an arm and is also very accurate. This matched with his size makes him a legit pro prospect. The back-up will be R-Fr Sean Scanlon. Scanlon's arm is no where near as strong as Flacco's, but he has excellent running ability. Delaware's offense woiuld likely look completely different with Scanlon at the helm utilizing more option and designed QB running plays.

Here's a pic of the top two UD QB's...

http://www.gohens.net/images/Aug%2019th%20Scrimmage/Flacco-Scanlon.jpg

bobcatalum05
May 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/711165.jpeg

Texas State quarterback Bradley George

6-6 230lb Sophmore
George, Bradley 120.6 passer rating 124-233 53.2% 1676yds

Took about half the snaps last year as a red shirt freshman. George will come in as QB#1 this year. Hopefully it pays dividends. Needless to say he has an NFL type arm and should compete with Southall and Bomar for First Team All Conference.

ASU_Chad
May 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Nothin could be finer in the mountains of Carolina! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
Took about half the snaps last year as a red shirt freshman. George will come in as QB#1 this year. Hopefully it pays dividends. Needless to say he has an NFL type arm and should compete with Southall and Bomar for First Team All Conference.

Don't leave last year's SLC Freshman of the Year Derrick Fourroux out of that mix. He's going to be part of the All-SLC discussion if all goes according to plan for McNeese...

CopperCat
Both Carpenter and Rolovich (inferior IMO, really bad mobility) will be back. Maybe we'll use both of them, I don't know. Our freshman QB Rasmussen will be good for us down the road too. Overall I think QB will be solid come the third game or so of the season. Not stellar, but solid.

rmutv
May 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Robert Morris has an interesting situation developing at QB. Whoever lines up under center will certainly have receiving weapons available, led by senior WRs Mario Hines and Alvin Hill.

Incumbent starter is 6'3, 200lb junior Erik Cwalinski. He's got a good arm, with decent accuracy, but he doesn't seem to be able to hold onto the football. He had a ghastly number of fumbles last year, plus the uncanny ability to throw an interception at exactly the worst time.

Cwalinski will get a shot, since he's only entering his junior year, but breathing down his neck are senior Ron Ball (6'5, 215) and junior Joe DeSanzo (6'3, 210). DeSanzo has the most mobility but was hurt most of last year. Ball is underwhelming.

Deeper down the chart, sophomore Camdin Crouse lurks in the shadows. Lots of promise for the 6'1, 200lb QB, but who knows if he'll get a shot.

Then, there's the future with a classic Pittsburgh name. Incoming freshman Aaron Smetanka (6'4, 210) comes over from North Catholic High School and some people believe he could surprise everyone and start the season at QB with a strong camp. More likely is he becomes the third stringer behind Cwalinski and DeSanzo and then guns for the job next year. Passed for almost 4,000 yards in just two years as a starter in the run-heavy WPIAL.

I love the RMU receiving corps, though. If one of these QBs can hold onto the football and get it to the wideouts, RMU will make a lot of noise.

Eyes of Old Main
May 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Wofford's in good shape. Senior starter Josh Collier has two seasons of experience and his backup Junior Ben Widmyer will likely see a few series' as a change of pace. Beyond that, we're supposed to have some talent, but hopefully we won't have to press them into service.

TheRiver
May 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
TxSt QB George is going to be very improved this year he came form being a Pitcher in minor-league baseball and did not play any football for 3 year, So I believe he will be very improved and have better vision of down filed then last year. And his Back up Toon looked very good and composed in the Spring Game, also fairly good on his feet.

But I like SFA's Southall looked very good last year, if he has a good line this year watch out for this kid very fast and a fairly good arm that can make some big plays. He is the Big Play maker.

mcveyrl
May 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
It's Good. You'll see. xnodx xnodx

I've got a lot of faith in our two backups as well...

McNeese75
May 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
The SLC will go from having no QB's on the national radar in 2006 to having 4 (or more) starting QB's that are capable of stirring the pot this year. It's going to be fun xnodx xhurrayx

CSUBUCDAD
May 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Still up in the air. The loss of Drafts was huge for the Bucs, but we have a couple of young guns coming up in Sidney Bryant and Eli Byrd. Both are completely different QB's than Drafts, but they have a much better running ability that will add another deminsion to the offense.

TheRiver
May 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
McNeese QB has one of the better head on his shoulder in the SLC. But I only saw him in 2 game last year one on TV and vs. SHSU. But

McNees75 is right, it might be a QB year this year as last year it was RB year for the SLC.

LeopardFan04
May 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
up in the air...will be interesting to see who is the starter, and who is starting by the Lehigh game...

UNHWildCats
May 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.sofaschool.com/images/As%20good%20as%20it%20gets.jpg

Col Hogan
May 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Liam Coen is back for his Junior year...outstanding leadership...we're looking good.....

fuEMO
May 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
I think Furman and APP are two of the few that have multiple qb's that could led their teams to the playoffs. Last year Gray played the entire season with a foot sprain, forcing highly regarded redshirt freshman Jordan Sorrells to step in and throw the game winning pass in the first game of the season. This year I bet Bobby Lamb throws a tank around his qb's to avoid the late pre-season injury to Gray this year. Gray when healthy and with weight down is a rare talent. Entering summer drills I'm hearing Gray has lost between 15 to 18 pounds. That's really good news. Sorrells will be a star starting next year. I think he and Edwards will have some epic battles.

Renaldo Gray 6-0, 235 SR Can run the option and the wing sets very well but is way under-rated in his passing skills. If healthy one of the best.

Jordan Sorrells 6-1, 202 SO A smart leader, doesn't have the running skills but makes up for it with execution. Passing is his game. 9,405 yards and 105 touchdowns in high school.

Cody Worley 6-1, 212 RSFR Worley has the biggest gun of the quarterbacks. Worley is a running qb in the same vein of Justin Hill. Played for BL's brother in high school. 4,394 yards and 51 touchdowns.

Furman has three interesting players on the roster that received recruiting offers to play QB in college but came to Furman to play wide receiver and cornerback.

RJ Webb 6-3, 205 played quarterback one year in high school. Passed for 2,300 yards and 18 touchdowns, rushed for 300 yards and 10 scores.

Sederrik Cunningham 5-11, 188 FR 4,513 all-purpose yards in his high school career.

Rick Furman 6-3, 175 FR rushed for 2,297 yards, passed for 2,030 yards, and 55 touchdowns.

PapaBear
May 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
In a word: "Unsettled." And apparently that's where it will remain until camp starts.

Right now, two underclassmen are competing for the job. An incoming Maine All-Stater will join the fray in summer.

Here's what the Maine papers are saying. (Last writeup is from UMaine football website.)

http://sports.mainetoday.com/college/football/070415maineqbs.html

http://media.www.mainecampus.com/media/storage/paper322/news/2007/04/26/MaineSports/Brusko.Farkes.Audition.To.Start.At.Quarterback-2883270.shtml

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sports/college/football/070506umfoot.html

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/maineblackbears.aspx?articleid=149536&zoneid=221

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050507aaa.html

McTailGator
May 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
McNeese will do very well at QB this year, and has a great group of recievers ready to help them.

Our starter will be 3rd year Soph. Derrick Foureau, who is VERY mobile and has a good arm.

He will be well coached this season with a former McNeese All Conference player (Tim Leger) joining the coaching staff to be the QB coach, something that McNeese has not had since 1998 (a TRUE QB Coach). It will be Leger's only duty. Derrick is the same type of QB that Leger was when he played.

Back up QB will be Mark Fontenot, who was the starter in 2004 but lost his job in the pre-season last year after having to miss the first few games due to injury. Foureau offered much more mobility, which the coaches liked.

I watched him get better and better each and every week last year. In fact, the progress between each game was very noticeable, which I thought was very promising.

He has had an entire spring, and will have all summer and pre-season to work with his new coach, so we should see even more improvement in him this year. This kid is going to be awesome in a couple more years.

I think 2 or 3 of the better QB's in the nation will come from the SLC in the next 2 or 3 years.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/suu06gfplay2.jpg

patssle
May 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
I think 2 or 3 of the better QB's in the nation will come from the SLC in the next 2 or 3 years.

I think we could go up to 4. SHSU, McNeese, SFA, and TSUSM.

GeeWiz
May 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
The NU QB position a question mark IMO.

Neither incumbent QB's Anthony Orio (75-123 w/ 3 TD, 4 INT) or John Sperazza (56-106 w/ 3 TD, 7 INT) really established themselves last year.

Both Orio and Sperazza will be Juniors this season. I'm hoping that Soph. QB Alex Dulski wins the job this summer. He's supposedly has the same type of running ability that Orio has and the arm that Sperazza has.

Orio has a weak arm and Sperazza isn't the most fleet of foot.

http://gonu.com/football/photos/orio090206.jpg http://gonu.com/football/photos/sperrazza100706.jpg http://gonu.com/football/photos/dulski100706.JPG
Orio - Sperazza - Dulski

HIU 93
May 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Great. We have two VERY good quarterbacks. Both are a little inexperienced, but have tremendous talent and rocket arms.

slycat
May 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
The SLC will go from having no QB's on the national radar in 2006 to having 4 (or more) starting QB's that are capable of stirring the pot this year. It's going to be fun xnodx xhurrayx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

blackfordpu
May 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Just a guy by the name of Elder who started the NC game in '05.

Why did he lose his job is he is that capable?

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know.

Brandon Landers
Redshirt Junior
2 year starter
4421 career yards
35 passing TD's
5 rushing TD's
2004 SWAC Freshman of the year
2005 red shirt
2006 All SWAC 2nd team
2006 Lead conference in passing

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I've got a lot of faith in our two backups as well...

Not me, only Dudzik looks like a really reliable guy. That other redshirt freshman looked WAY too careless with the ball in the Spring Game. He ran out of the pocket and was always juking and spinning to avoid tackles with the ball held out in his hand. He'd get killed and committ several TOs both fumbling and passing.

As for the others, Landers' speed will kill (big arm too) and Dudzik is like Rascati's mini-me, yet seems to have a pocket rocket for an arm!

douglasdmb
May 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
MO State's QB situation isn't looking too bad. Coach Allen says that, as of right now, we are lightyears ahead at QB than were at this time last season.

Third-year sophomore Tyler Horner seems to have the edge at this point. He started last season third on the depth chart but proved himself worthy at the end of the season (had a gutsy performance in the season finale vs. WIU). His confidence is way up right now.

The X factor seems to be incoming freshman Cody Kirby. From what everyone from his home state of Arkansas says, the kid is an absolute stud. Many have said that if he were 3-4 inches taller (he's listed at 5-10), he would've been scooped up by Arkansas. Anyway, Coach Allen speaks very highly of him and says that he is the ideal quarterback for his system. My gut tells me that he could at least be splitting time with Horner this year.

Ivytalk
May 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Harvard is pretty well set, with returning seniors O'Hagan and Pizzotti and junior Witt. If only they had a guy with O'Hagan's mobility, Pizzotti's arm and judgment, and Witt's remaining eligibility!

ncbears
May 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
UNC's still up in the air. Probably be between Mike Vloogeorge and Dominic Braezaele. Vloogeorge is a transfer from Indiana University.

CID1990
May 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
The Citadel is in horrible shape at QB. For that matter, we are in horrible shape at all positions, and will likely not win any games this year.

We are deserving of the 44th overall preseason pick.

P.S. Be sure to pass this on to all of our opponents this year.

bulldog10jw
May 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Matt Polhemus was the starter last year and he returns for his senior year. Very good runner, but only a fair passer. If McLeod gets hurt Yale could be in trouble, or even if someone just shuts him down and Polhemus has to pass. Of course, with a year of experience, he should improve so we shall see.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.sofaschool.com/images/As%20good%20as%20it%20gets.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
In a word: "Unsettled." And apparently that's where it will remain until camp starts.

Right now, two underclassmen are competing for the job. An incoming Maine All-Stater will join the fray in summer.

Couldn't be much more up in the air.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
MO State's QB situation isn't looking too bad. Coach Allen says that, as of right now, we are lightyears ahead at QB than were at this time last season.

Last years QB situation down there was horrible. I think we saw 3-4 QB's in our game against you. Injuries and bad play were rampant.

bjtheflamesfan
May 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
For the Flames we are pretty well settled on Brock Smith as our number 1 for 2007. He started the last 3 games of the painful 2005 season as a true freshman, then all but 1 or two (SJ or one of the other Flamefans can correct me if Im wrong on that one) in 2006. I think Coach Rocco is ready to ride Brock the whole year this year while utilizing Zach Terrell's running ability in the A-back position. Our backup QB is a sophomore, Spencer Landis who came in mop up duty in the first two games as well as the Western Carolina and Charleston games at the end of the year. I think this season and the future looks pretty bright on Liberty Mountain.

Gater
May 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Colgate's starting QB will be Freshman Charles Babb.
http://computing.colgate.edu/itsl/flash/footballrecruits2007/babb.html

AppGuy04
May 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM

Guess you didn't watch any of the playoff games last year

Tribe4SF
May 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Not me, only Dudzik looks like a really reliable guy. That other redshirt freshman looked WAY too careless with the ball in the Spring Game. He ran out of the pocket and was always juking and spinning to avoid tackles with the ball held out in his hand. He'd get killed and committ several TOs both fumbling and passing.

As for the others, Landers' speed will kill (big arm too) and Dudzik is like Rascati's mini-me, yet seems to have a pocket rocket for an arm!

For a number of responses, as well as you JMU guys...

This is not the CAAZone, so try not to act as though you're just talking amongst yourselves. At least JMU2K_DukeDawg used two of the last names. The three candidates at JMU are not known to folks outside Harrisonburg.

The objective response for JMU would be that the QB position is a significant question mark for this season, as they search for a replacement for Justin Rascati. JR Rodney Landers has seen action in some games, and is the leading candidate. The other two contenders are RF Drew Dudzik, and RF Keith McPherson.

For W&M, there is a three way battle going on between JR Jake Phillips and SR Mike Potts (who have shared the job over the past two seasons), and SO R.J. Archer who was moved back from WR in the Spring. The Tribe hopes to rebound from uncharacteristically poor offensive production over the last two seasons. Both Phillips and Potts have had strong games, but neither has demonstrated consistency. Archer muddied the water further with a strong showing in the Spring.

Archer is pictured below during the Spring Game.

slostang
May 22nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Cal Poly returns Jr QB Matt Brennan who started the last 6 games of 2005 and 10 of 11 in 2006. He is 11-5 as a starter but has struggled passing the ball last season completing only 45% of his passes. While he struggled throwing the ball in 2006, he is very mobile and runs the option very well. Brennan has a canon for an arm, he just need to find more touch. Brennan does have a win in the playoffs where he led Cal Poly to a victory against the mighty Griz in a snowy Wa/Griz stadium in 2005.

Brennan was in a very heated QB battle this spring with JC transfer Jonathan Dally. Ellerson did not name a starter coming out of spring but a lot of people think it will be Dally. Dally is not as big as Brennan or does he have as strong of an arm, but he is very athletic and has a better touch on his passes and throws very well on the run.

Who ever wins the starting job they will have some very good weapons to work with. I-AA.org 2005 Freshman of the Year RB James Noble will be joined in the backfield this season by former Big Sky Newcomer of the Year (Sac State - 2004) Jr Ryan Mole. They will also throwing to one of the top WR in the FCS, 6-6 227 lb Jr Ramses Barden. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

laxVik
May 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Colgate's starting QB will be Freshman Charles Babb.
http://computing.colgate.edu/itsl/flash/footballrecruits2007/babb.html
Boy that guy's got some runnin' skills! Looks to be a good one.

Brad82
May 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Derrick Cassidy and his backups are good enough to win with.
Play-calling and defense will determine how they do.

McTailGator
May 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

I didn't want to push my luck. But OK...xthumbsupx

Mr. C
May 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
It might have something to do with the fact that Elder had a youngster named Armanti Edwards pressing him for playing time. Edwards is one of six players in Division I history to pass for 2,000 yards and run for 1,000 yards and is one of only two freshmen to do so. Some of the names of those who also did that include Vince Young of Texas and Barrick Nealy of Texas State. Edwards is one of only TWO true freshmen QBs to lead a team to the FCS national championship game, along with Marshall's Chad Pennington, and is the only one to WIN a national title. Edwards is the ONLY QB to lead a team to the Southern Conference title as a freshman. He is already being considered an NFL prospect by scouts.

Also, Elder had shoulder surgery in July to clean out some stuff that was causing pain during the spring. The team medical staff kind of blew it by not diagnosing things earlier and getting him into surgery to have more recovery time for the start of the season. Everyone was hush-hush about his health during training camp, but the fact is that Elder was throwing with a lot of pain. He started two games around two months after undergoing surgery. I have a set of coaching films on EVERY Appalachian State game from the past two years, in addition to every game that has been televised as I am researching my second book on the Mountaineers' championship run. I was watching the North Carolina State again about a week and a half ago and is very clear from the films that something was wrong with Elder's shoulder. You could see it on every throw. His arm came around during the season, but it wasn't back to 100% until this spring. With his arm back to health (and consider that everyone on the ASU staff and in the media, too, is in agreement that Elder has a stronger arm than even Richie Williams did, or Edwards does), Elder was brilliant during spring ball. He was 13-of-17 in the spring game and was throwing BBs out there. He actually was better in the spring game than even Edwards was and Edwards is vastly improved from 2006.

Elder has been extremely successful as starter. He has lost only ONE game as a starter in his high school or college career (the game at North Carolina State). He was the South Carolina Mr. Football as a senior as he led a fine Byrnes High School program to a state championship, throwing for 3,878 yards and 38 TDs and rushing for 905 yards and 19 TDs. He also completed 70% of his passes. He was also the MVP of the annual North Carolina-South Carolina Shrine Bowl all-star game.

As a true freshman, Elder subbed for Williams in a game against Texas State — with a defense that would take the Bobcats to the I-AA semifinals a year later — and led ASU to a 41-34 victory, hitting 12-of-20 passes for 249 yards, including a game-changing 65-yard TD strike to DaVon Fowlkes and rushing for 44 yards and three more TDs. Not a bad debut. When called on in the national semifinals when Williams went down with an ankle injury, Elder threw a 45-yard TD pass to Dexter Jackson on his first play. He overcame a pair of fumbles to lead ASU from behind for a 29-23 victory. Elder hit 12-of-17 passes for 165 yards and one TD pass and rushed 13 times for 69 yards and the game-winning score off the bench. He also threw a clutch two-point conversion pass to William Mayfield after his two-point run was nullified by a penalty. Starting in the national championship game, Elder was 9-of-16 for 123 yards in one half, keeping the Mountaineers within striking distance, despite three turnovers (only one of which was his fault).

Elder is a cerebral player, a student of the game and one of the most respected leaders on the team. He was like a personal QB coach for Edwards and most people around the team see a bright future for Elder as a college coach when he graduates. He could have torn the team apart when he was benched last year, but instead Elder did everything that was asked of to help his team win. When rumors started floating around in the South Carolina press that he was upset about not starting, he called a meeting with Jerry Moore to quash those stories. In the off-season, there were more rumors about him transferring to a Division II school to start as a senior and there were numerous schools that were putting out feelers that they would like him. But Elder instead made the choice to stay at ASU and help his team try to win a third straight national title. He is simply one of the highest character individuals I have ever met in my years of covering college football.

In terms of talent, Elder would have started ahead of almost every QB that ASU has used during the Jerry Moore era. The only ones more talented than him are Richie Williams, Armanti Edwards and Joe Burchette. He would start at probably 80 to 85% of the other schools in FCS. His presence on the Mountaineer roster gives ASU probably the best one-two quarterback punch in all of FCS.

Is that enough reasons for you, blackfordpu?

Mr. C
May 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Cal Poly returns Jr QB Matt Brennan who started the last 6 games of 2005 and 10 of 11 in 2006. He is 11-5 as a starter but has struggled passing the ball last season completing only 45% of his passes. While he struggled throwing the ball in 2006, he is very mobile and runs the option very well. Brennan has a canon for an arm, he just need to find more touch. Brennan does have a win in the playoffs where he led Cal Poly to a victory against the mighty Griz in a snowy Wa/Griz stadium in 2005.

Brennan was in a very heated QB battle this spring with JC transfer Jonathan Dally. Ellerson did not name a starter coming out of spring but a lot of people think it will be Dally. Dally is not as big as Brennan or does he have as strong of an arm, but he is very athletic and has a better touch on his passes and throws very well on the run.

Who ever wins the starting job they will have some very good weapons to work with. I-AA.org 2005 Freshman of the Year RB James Noble will be joined in the backfield this season by former Big Sky Newcomer of the Year (Sac State - 2004) Jr Ryan Mole. They will also throwing to one of the top WR in the FCS, 6-6 227 lb Jr Ramses Barden. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
I would go as far to say that if Brennan starts, it is bad for Cal Poly's chances of making a run for the playoffs. I just don't think he is a good enough passer to put pressure on defenses and get All-American WR Ramses Barden involved in the offense. With Brennan, defenses know they can stacck against the run to help slow down James Noble and Ryan Mole. I hear great things about Dally and expect him to be the starter. He was recruited to start and to address Cal Poly's needs at QB.

RabidRabbit
May 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
From the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader article after the SDSU spring game....

junior quarterback Ryan Berry led the SDSU offense to both of its touchdowns and a total of 22 points in a 34-28 victory against the defense at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The most game experienced of the four players vying to replace all-Great West Football Conference pick Andy Kardoes, Berry was the second quarterback to work with the first offense yet he sparked a touchdown drive on his first series and finished 11 of 16 for 172 yards as the Jackrabbits gained roughly twice as many yards through the air as on the ground.

"I think overall I played pretty well," said Berry, who has seen action in 11 games for his career. "I started out slow both times; that was my biggest thing. I was ready to go. I just didn't come out very sharp, and it took me a few plays to get going."

Did this performance give him the inside track going into fall ball? Not necessarily.

Stiegelmeier said that Berry did "a really good job" and that senior Reed Burckhardt, who started the game did "a good job," but that he'll have to watch the tapes to really evaluate them.

Ryan Berry was the starter for most of the 2005 season when Kardoes was injuried. So he's experienced at SDSU. Jacks return 9 starters on offense, and 9 on defense, so I expect they'll be very competitive again this year.

I Bleed Purple
May 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
We don't have a single quarterback that has played a snap of football that wasn't a hold for a placekick (unless Leggat played against ISU in the finale last year, don't remember).

Two JC's, a redshirt freshman, and the aforementioned Leggat.

The most unsure position on the team BY FAR.

appfan2008
May 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
returning with a star in armanti and backup elder would start on almost all fcs teams... so i think we are good...
i am sure this has already been posted but i figured i would add it

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
In terms of talent, Elder would have started ahead of almost every QB that ASU has used during the Jerry Moore era. The only ones more talented than him are Richie Williams, Armanti Edwards and Joe Burchette. He would start at probably 80 to 85% of the other schools in FCS. His presence on the Mountaineer roster gives ASU probably the best one-two quarterback punch in all of FCS.

Is that enough reasons for you, blackfordpu?

Great breakdown, Mr C xthumbsupx

eagle1
May 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
2nd Year Starter

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ewas/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1054711.jpeg

#16 Matt Nichols 6'3"/ 215lbs So. Cottonwood, CA (West Valley HS)

Back Up

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ewas/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1069458.jpeg

#12 Alex Smart 6'3"/ 220lbs Jr. North Bend, WA (Mt Si HS)

rokamortis
May 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
No clue. We have a bunch of guys fighting it out. Presumably RS Jr. Will Richardson or True Fr. Jamie Childers are the favorites. Sr. Ren McKinnon is also in the mix after being switched to WR in 2005 and injured in 2006.

ngineer
May 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Lehigh's Sedale Threatt is the whole package. Can run and throw..and throw a mile. Reports from spring practice were that his accuracy was excellent. He has tremendous leadership skills and a very outgoing personality. The only downside, is that at times I think he tries to do too much and force an issue. But this year as a senior, I suspect he's learned when to rein it in. IMO he should be a Payton nominee this year.
The backup, Marshall, is also a senior with a great arm. More of a pocket passer type though. So we're in excellent shape at this position.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Southall from SFA scares me. he's really good, got speeeeeeeed, and has gone pretty much unknown for the rest of the FCS.

McNeese72
May 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
McNeese will do very well at QB this year, and has a great group of recievers ready to help them.

Back up QB will be Chris Fontenot, who was the starter in 2004 but lost his job in the pre-season last year after having to miss the first few games due to injury.

Mark wants to know who this Chris guy is that will be taking his place???
:) :)

Doc

McTailGator
May 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Mark wants to know who this Chris guy is that will be taking his place???
:) :)

Doc

Ha!...

CHRIS is actually a Fontenot I work with here in Houston. Believe me, he's not in playing shape. xlolx

UNHcats
May 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
I dont even know who UNH has for a QB this year....i wish we had a 3 time all conference, 2 time all american, and returning walter payton award winner comin back, but that would be rediculous

UCABEARS75
May 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

Interesting that you leave ours out. Nathan Brown will be a Junior this year. Freshman of the year in the GSC two years ago. 14-3 as a starter I believe. Very good, very smart player.

already123
May 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
http://photos-913.ak.facebook.com/ip005/v17/158/89/27701360/s27701360_30614913_8169.jpg

NAU will continue their QB battle into the fall. Juniors Lance Kriesien and Sean Norton have been going head to head since the depature of Jason Murrietta. My guess is that Kriesien will take the job in a close one and lead the Jacks to their first playoff appearance in 4 years! He has too many tools and raw ability to be on the bench...as the rest of the Big Sky has seen the last 2 years....

NAU will be something to reckon with come fall...

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I dont even know who UNH has for a QB this year....i wish we had a 3 time all conference, 2 time all american, and returning walter payton award winner comin back, but that would be rediculous
What a cool avatar. I wonder if that QB you are looking for is in that picture somewhere?

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Of course he is, front and center.

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM
http://photos-913.ak.facebook.com/ip005/v17/158/89/27701360/s27701360_30614913_8169.jpg

NAU will continue their QB battle into the fall. Juniors Lance Kriesien and Sean Norton have been going head to head since the depature of Jason Murrietta. My guess is that Kriesien will take the job in a close one and lead the Jacks to their first playoff appearance in 4 years! He has too many tools and raw ability to be on the bench...as the rest of the Big Sky has seen the last 2 years....

NAU will be something to reckon with come fall...
I would be shocked if Sean Norton was on the bench. He didn't transfer from Fresno State to sit on the bench.

already123
May 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM
True...most don't. However, how would you explain an extremely mobile 6'3" 230 lb. QB sittin on the bench in favor of the 5'9" 170lb. transfer whom has been beaten out so far (from early reports and sources). I mean, the same happened when Montana got that transfer from Bolling Green who sat the bench for a rsFreshman...

PaladinFan
May 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Furman's hopes rest in the hands of this guy. It also doesn't hurt to have the best offensive back out of the South Carolina High School system backing him up.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/furm/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/634217.jpeg

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM
True...most don't. However, how would you explain an extremely mobile 6'3" 230 lb. QB sittin on the bench in favor of the 5'9" 170lb. transfer whom has been beaten out so far (from early reports and sources). I mean, the same happened when Montana got that transfer from Bolling Green who sat the bench for a rsFreshman...
I don't think Washington was anywhere close to the QB that Norton is and when you are talking about QB schools, transferring from Fresno State is a little bit more impressive than coming from Bowling Green.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 02:48 AM
very true...however I was simply trying to make a point. Going off what I have heard and seen, its not as "hands down" as everyone expects. Norton has a battle on his hands. Lets just say that I won't be the least bit suprised if they go with the dual-threat QB in Kriesien. Either way, the lumberjacks WILL return as a top 5 offense in the nation as they were last year...

Kill'em
May 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Hold on let me get my crystal ball......:( I guess GSU will find out in the fall.

No joke. One could turn out to be a really good cover corner. Another might be one of our hardest-hitting safeties which leaves last year's starter, Travis Clark, Northern Illinois transfer Billy Lowe, and two redshirt freshmen, Jeremiah Enloe and Kyle Collins. Collins really impressed folks during the spring game. This will be an interesting battle come August.

blueballs
May 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM
No joke. One could turn out to be a really good cover corner. Another might be one of our hardest-hitting safeties which leaves last year's starter, Travis Clark, Northern Illinois transfer Billy Lowe, and two redshirt freshmen, Jeremiah Enloe and Kyle Collins. Collins really impressed folks during the spring game. This will be an interesting battle come August.

Don't forget Lee Chapple, though I expect him to redshirt.

Kill'em
May 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
According to what I've read this guy might be the best of them.

AppGuy04
May 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM

The good thing about QB battles is that inevitably, it makes them better

Kill'em
May 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
The good thing about QB battles is that inevitably, it makes them better

Agreed. This is one reason why I really feel good about this season.

PaladinFan
May 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
It isn't necessairly good, however, to have a battle between four guys for the starting spot.

BEAR
May 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM
UCA has returning QB Nathan Brown:

His stats for 8 games last year (injury for first 3)

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
Brown,Nathan 8 147.30 242-157-8 64.9 1858 18 55 232.2

He's solid and a strong passer. NO problem there. He might not have too many receivers to throw to this year with Fairooz and Robinson gone. xeekx Plus a backup QB from SFA..well you know the quality SFA puts out! xthumbsupx xlolx

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/257887832_e88e475f60_m.jpg

Kill'em
May 27th, 2007, 12:12 AM
It isn't necessairly good, however, to have a battle between four guys for the starting spot.

It certainly isn't if no one emerges as the front runner.

ISUMatt
May 27th, 2007, 01:24 AM
ISU QB Luke Drone returns for his Senior year with basically no competition at QB