PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State (no smack)

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I am curious why so many people voted YSU so high. They had a great run last year and I cheered them on through the playoffs, but I guess I'm honestly not sure what's so great about the 07 version that makes them top 3-5.

I'm especially interested in the non-YSU votes, because I'm sure Penguin posters are much more educated about them than the rest of us.

No smack though please. This is a sincere question.

Mountain Panther
May 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
I am curious why so many people voted YSU so high. They had a great run last year and I cheered them on through the playoffs, but I guess I'm honestly not sure what's so great about the 07 version that makes them top 3-5.

I'm especially interested in the non-YSU votes, because I'm sure Penguin posters are much more educated about them than the rest of us.

No smack though please. This is a sincere question.

I would guess tradition and their ability to reload rather than rebuild.

youwouldno
May 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
I nearly left YSU out of my top 25. Due to their tradition I put them in towards the bottom. At best I see them as the 3rd best team in the Gateway, with Ill St. being the competition and WIU being a possible sleeper.

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
I would guess tradition and their ability to reload rather than rebuild.

I could name 10-15 teams that I consider like that.

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
I nearly left YSU out of my top 25. Due to their tradition I put them in towards the bottom. At best I see them as the 3rd best team in the Gateway, with Ill St. being the competition and WIU being a possible sleeper.

No offense, but for doing your research, barely putting them in based on tradition doesn't seem to make much sense.

The Gateway has 3 teams in the top 15, and 4 teams ranked 90% of the time. So competing for 3rd best in the Gateway should be nowhere near the bottom. I'd have to look, but the GFC may have had 5 in the final poll.

With a 4 year starter and the talent returning from a playoff run, they should be top 20 easily, and obviously most felt top 10.

laxVik
May 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
PSU's a tad high IMO as well. I'd say 20th or so. I'll take 14 though. xcoffeex

Chi Panther
May 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM
With 7 games at home they will have a great record again......but playing in Columbus, Cedar Falls and Carbondale will all be challenges....

Day Date Opponent Location Time | TV

Sat. Sept. 1 at Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat. Sept. 8 South Dakota State Stambaugh Stadium 6 p.m.
Sat. Sept. 15 Stony Brook Stambaugh Stadium 4 p.m.
Sat. Sept. 22 Lock Haven Stambaugh Stadium 4 p.m.
Sat. Sept. 29 Missouri State* Stambaugh Stadium 6 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 6 at Southern Illinois* Carbondale, Ill. 3:30 p.m. | CSTV
Sat. Oct. 13 Southern Utah Stambaugh Stadium 4 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 20 Illinois State (HC)* Stambaugh Stadium 4 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 27 at Northern Iowa* Cedar Falls, Iowa 5:05 p.m.
Sat. Nov. 3 at Indiana State* Terre Haute, Ind. Noon
Sat. Nov. 10 Western Illinois* Stambaugh Stadium 1 p.m.

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sat. Oct. 20 Illinois State (HC)* Stambaugh Stadium 4 p.m.

That game also presents some issues.

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
No YSU posters yet? I know you guys have been online since I started the thread. Remind me of what you have coming back and coming in.

douglasdmb
May 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
No YSU posters yet? I know you guys have been online since I started the thread. Remind me of what you have coming back and coming in.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=534402&postcount=28

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks Douglas. That's what I was thinking.

Positive for Zetts is that his line returns. Negative is that his running game is gone. I'm not overly impressed by Zetts.

You have to keep in mind he's lost every game I've seen him play against us, and I've only seen him play 3-4 games outside of that.

Last year he had 2 backs behind him who were a huge threat. Is there a new guy in town to take Mason's place? If not I see Zetts struggling and YSU having a less than stellar year.

My prediction is that they will be on the playoff bubble. I did vote them #11, so I'm not writing them off. They will compete for the Gateway title.

youwouldno
May 22nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
No offense, but for doing your research, barely putting them in based on tradition doesn't seem to make much sense.

The Gateway has 3 teams in the top 15, and 4 teams ranked 90% of the time. So competing for 3rd best in the Gateway should be nowhere near the bottom. I'd have to look, but the GFC may have had 5 in the final poll.

With a 4 year starter and the talent returning from a playoff run, they should be top 20 easily, and obviously most felt top 10.

Humorously, I have 3 Gateway teams in my top 15, and 4 in my top 25. Your numbers are questionable but certainly don't apply to me. Actually, I have Southern Illinois AND UNI higher than almost every other voter. If you would perhaps endeavor to read more closely, you would note that I said YSU would be 3rd in the Gateway "at best," which is different from what I actually am predicting. I am predicting Illinois State 3rd.

Just some advice, don't insult someone that is very favorable to the Gateway and UNI. I wouldn't want subconscious bias creeping into my poll.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
Just some advice, don't insult someone that is very favorable to the Gateway and UNI. I wouldn't want subconscious bias creeping into my poll.

Not worried about it. Just discussing. Don't take it personally.

FlyYtown
May 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Well here I am. Do I think we are Top 5? NO
I do think we are Top 10 though.

We lost each of our running backs and that position will be very inexperienced; but we still have Tom Zetts running our offense and have a new coach running a new style of defense.

We also have 7 Home Games; where we should go 7-0. We also play @ Indiana State; so we should have AT LEAST 8 Wins.

I for one don't think Illinois State will be as good as everyone is playing them out to be; have they not lost Drone, Robenson, and the tb??? and I do think SIU will struggle without the man who has led them for four years in Whitlock. They have a great QB, but they are suspect at other spots.

This is UNI's Division to lose; but YSU has not fallen far from last year; I am expecting a 9-2 year. The only losses @ OSU and @ UNI.

th0m
May 22nd, 2007, 05:42 AM
Wow I hope your players don't think like you do FlyYtown. 7 home games equals 7 W's? Hell yeah Stambaugh will present a very favorable place for the Penguins, but it isn't the be all end all.

james_lawfirm
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

I based my vote on the playoff game I saw in Boone. YSU is a solid team. Not sure who graduated. I think they lost their fullback. But, they'll probably replace him. The whole team was solid though & I picked them to be top 10 again this year.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

We lost each of our running backs and that position will be very inexperienced; but we still have Tom Zetts running our offense and have a new coach running a new style of defense.

We also have 7 Home Games; where we should go 7-0. We also play @ Indiana State; so we should have AT LEAST 8 Wins.

I for one don't think Illinois State will be as good as everyone is playing them out to be; have they not lost Drone, Robenson, and the tb??? and I do think SIU will struggle without the man who has led them for four years in Whitlock. They have a great QB, but they are suspect at other spots.

This is UNI's Division to lose; but YSU has not fallen far from last year; I am expecting a 9-2 year. The only losses @ OSU and @ UNI.

Drone is still around. From what I've read and seen Il State reloaded. I assume you guys will too, but I haven't seen as much about the 07 team, and I don't think Zetts is as good as Drone. I agree on top 10. I put you at 11 because I felt like a Gateway homer.

I don't know that it's UNI's to lose. The Gateway is tough year in and year out. I'd rather not be preseason favorites, but I guess that's not my call. :D

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
I based my vote on the playoff game I saw in Boone. YSU is a solid team. Not sure who graduated. I think they lost their fullback. But, they'll probably replace him. The whole team was solid though & I picked them to be top 10 again this year.

They lost both running backs. Mason was a stud. Not sure they'll have someone that good. Other back was a nice runner too.

Not trying to rip, but it was spelled out that the poll is a serious thing, and that we were to vote based on what we think for this year, not what happened last year. I've read a lot of people saying they voted for so and so because of their playoff run or great 06 season. NDSU is higher than they should be because of that. Even Bison fans have said it. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Wow I hope your players don't think like you do FlyYtown. 7 home games equals 7 W's? Hell yeah Stambaugh will present a very favorable place for the Penguins, but it isn't the be all end all.

It is a great place to play. Crowd support is down though. I wasn't planning for UNI to get out with a win last year. (But when we did we got out of town before we were killed. xlolx )

GoGuins
May 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
YSU will be strong at the front 7 on defense with many starters returning and the addition of Ohio St transfer Sian Cotton at DT. LB and captain Jeremiah Wright got a medical redshirt after being injured against Penn St and will be back. The question on defense is at the corners where 2 All GFC corners will need to be replaced. Other than that, the defense is loaded.

On offense, 4 yr starter Tom Zetts is back along with 3 starters on the O-line. YSU regularly substitutes 2 deep on the line during a game so there are a few back who didn't start, but have game experience. At WR, Rory Berry is back and D'Michael Horne looks to replace TJ Peterson. YSU probably has one of the best TE combos in the FCS in Louis Irizarry & Derrick Bush. The big losses are at FB & TB losing Deke Ison & Marcus Mason. Ben Lane got a couple starts at FB in Ison's absence and the TB position is up for grabs with Jabari Scott, Jordan Edwards, & Brandon Nicholson competing. Scott got some game experience in 2005 but was redshirted last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a FBS transfer come in at some point at TB.

I think YSU with their finish last year and what they have returning is deserving of the top ten, maybe 8-10.

Paladin1aa
May 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
YSU is loaded again. The D will be very good and the CB will be replaced --E.Mich transfer at one spot and two other players who lettered last year at nickel & dime. The front 7 are studs.

The O should be good as well. Former Texas All State 5A RB Scott will follow a 260 lb letterman FB inot a OL with lots of experienced players. The TEs are premier in the nation --both pro material. WRs should be very good as well. Zetts is under rated at QB , even by Guins fans. Makes few mistakes and has put up good numbers. 4TH season starting.

Schedule is favorable at home. After an opening loss to Ohio St., watch them roll.xthumbsupx Easily a Top 10 and later, Top 5 team. The starting 22 are solid. Depth is a problem as there is a drop-off at several back-up positions. But, there could be more transfers on the way.

GFC race is UNI vs YSU. ILS and SIU 3 & 4. WIU a darkhorse.

nmatsen
May 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Any FCS supporter should agree with my next statement. Being a FCS and a UNI fan I can't begin to tell you how freaking awesome it is to have someone say that their two losses this year will come to Ohio State and Northern Iowa. Its just not something you hear a lot. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
An outsider's POV:

Linemen returning on both sides of the ball - HUGE
4-yr starter at QB - HUGE
schedule with 7, yes SEVEN!, games at home - REALLY HUGE

Result - #6 in my poll, 1 spot behind UNI who I feel will win the conference.

The other top 15 teams behind them can be argued here and there, but the intangibles are enough to place them very high in my preseason poll.

The loss of Mason is not so big to me, they just need the O-line to create the holes and most athletes will do the rest of the work at RB. I'd be more worried about his loss as an extra pass blocker. Zetts will need the time, and I think he'll do well in his senior year.

8-3 season for the Guins. (UGH!)

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
An outsider's POV:

Linemen returning on both sides of the ball - HUGE
4-yr starter at QB - HUGE
schedule with 7, yes SEVEN!, games at home - REALLY HUGE

Result - #6 in my poll, 1 spot behind UNI who I feel will win the conference.

The other top 15 teams behind them can be argued here and there, but the intangibles are enough to place them very high in my preseason poll.

The loss of Mason is not so big to me, they just need the O-line to create the holes and most athletes will do the rest of the work at RB. I'd be more worried about his loss as an extra pass blocker. Zetts will need the time, and I think he'll do well in his senior year.

8-3 season for the Guins. (UGH!)

Good insight.

RabidRabbit
May 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
YSU is loaded again. The D will be very good and the CB will be replaced --E.Mich transfer at one spot and two other players who lettered last year at nickel & dime. The front 7 are studs.

The O should be good as well. Former Texas All State 5A RB Scott will follow a 260 lb letterman FB inot a OL with lots of experienced players. The TEs are premier in the nation --both pro material. WRs should be very good as well. Zetts is under rated at QB , even by Guins fans. Makes few mistakes and has put up good numbers. 4TH season starting.

Schedule is favorable at home. After an opening loss to Ohio St., watch them roll.xthumbsupx Easily a Top 10 and later, Top 5 team. The starting 22 are solid. Depth is a problem as there is a drop-off at several back-up positions. But, there could be more transfers on the way.

GFC race is UNI vs YSU. ILS and SIU 3 & 4. WIU a darkhorse.

In looking over the OOC as well as the Gateway, it appears that YSU would be a likely 3-1 OOC, and I think UNI 2-2, IL St 2-2, and SIU 3-1, WIU 1-3. So, I think YSU has the best chance to be 9-2, whereas the other three main competitors would be 8-3, and WIU lucky to have a winning record.

SDSU and NDSU will play a BIG part in Gateway's chances into the play-off this year. And there is a strong possibility that SDSU is the straw breaking game for UNI, and IL St.'s trip to Fargo is another. xoopsx

But AGS, and here's for great games to make the play-offs. xbowx xbowx

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
In looking over the OOC as well as the Gateway, it appears that YSU would be a likely 3-1 OOC, and I think UNI 2-2, IL St 2-2, and SIU 3-1, WIU 1-3. So, I think YSU has the best chance to be 9-2, whereas the other three main competitors would be 8-3, and WIU lucky to have a winning record.

2 losses for UNI at Iowa State and SDSU?

Mountain Panther
May 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
In looking over the OOC......and I think UNI 2-2

I will be very surprised if this happens but anything is possible (we might lose to Drake and Minn State and beat Iowa State and SDSU).

Chi Panther
May 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM

SDSU and NDSU will play a BIG part in Gateway's chances into the play-off this year. And there is a strong possibility that SDSU is the straw breaking game for UNI, and IL St.'s trip to Fargo is another. xoopsx

But AGS, and here's for great games to make the play-offs. xbowx xbowx

SDSU caught UNI licking their UND wounds. Very HIGH expectations in CF this year. I think UNI has a better chance going 4-0 in OOC play than 2-2.....xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
May 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM

We've lost TWICE Time in the last 18 homes games or so to who and only who?
NORTHERN IOWA
For everyone else, it's just far too tough come the 4th quarter. Ask ILSU from 2005, and JMU/SIU from 2007.

Stambaugh has become a daunting place to play at once again. And judging by our schedule; we should be able to win all 7 at home. I see anything short of all 7 is underperforming.

This team is flat out solid; but Paladin says it best, we lack depth. I am told we may be getting a RB transfer. All I can say is, he outdid the records of Reggie Bush at the same high school out in Cali.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
SDSU caught UNI licking their UND wounds. Very HIGH expectations in CF this year. I think UNI has a better chance going 4-0 in OOC play than 2-2.....xthumbsupx

I would never look past the jackrabbits, but you do have a point about the UND fallout. I also figure SDSU to be a little down from last year.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
We've lost TWICE Time in the last 18 homes games or so to who and only who?
NORTHERN IOWA
For everyone else, it's just far too tough come the 4th quarter. Ask ILSU from 2005, and JMU/SIU from 2007.

Stambaugh has become a daunting place to play at once again. And judging by our schedule; we should be able to win all 7 at home. I see anything short of all 7 is underperforming.

This team is flat out solid; but Paladin says it best, we lack depth. I am told we may be getting a RB transfer. All I can say is, he outdid the records of Reggie Bush at the same high school out in Cali.

it's too early for you to start throwing around rumors in 07 Fly. xthumbsupx

If Stambaugh filled up a bit it would be a tough place to play. Especially if it was filled with YSU fans and not OSU fans. xlolx

ysubigred
May 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
I'm shocked that YSU is in at #4 in the pre-season poll.

3 reasons why YSU deserves #4;

1. Defense is another year seasoned and deep in many positions.

2. New coaching and better conditioning.

3. 4 year starter at QB with some of the most dangerous TE's and WR's in FCS.

1 reason why YSU don't deserve the # 4;

1. Loss of Marcus Mason, Monquante Gibson and Ryan Jewell.

I didn't vote so I can't critize the poll one way or another but it looks as accurate as a pre-season poll can be. xcoffeex

Oh an add on to the home advantage.

I don't waste my time or $$ going back to Y-Town to watch YSU play at home because of the lousy fan support. After my last game in the Ice castle I'll go watch the Guins out on the road with the "road warriors". The "Road Warriors" are real YSU fan's :)

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm shocked that YSU is in at #4 in the pre-season poll.

3 reasons why YSU deserves #4;

1. Defense is another year seasoned and deep in many positions.

2. New coaching and better conditioning.

3. 4 year starter at QB with some of the most dangerous TE's and WR's in FCS.

1 reason why YSU don't deserve the # 4;

1. Loss of Marcus Mason, Monquante Gibson and Ryan Jewell.

I didn't vote so I can't critize the poll one way or another but it looks as accurate as a pre-season poll can be. xcoffeex

You should vote this fall if you have time.

How many new assistants do you have?

ysubigred
May 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
You should vote this fall if you have time.

How many new assistants do you have?

One major addition;

Jeff Mills
Assistant Coach
First Season
(Western Washington, 1988)

A coaching veteran who has served as either an assistant head coach or defensive coordinator the past nine years at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, assistant coach Jeff Mills joins the Penguins' coaching staff as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach.
Mills, who spent the past three seasons at Idaho, has coached on the defensive side of the football the past 15 years. In that span he spent eight seasons with the Vandals, four with Nevada and three at Montana State.
Last year Mills was the defensive coordinator and safeties coach under Dennis Erickson at Idaho. In 2004 and 2005 he was the assistant head coach and safeties coach for Nick Holt in what was Mills' second stint with the program. He also assisted with the punt-return teams in '04 and '05.
Prior to returning to Moscow, Mills spent four years at Nevada serving as the defensive coordinator while coaching the linebackers in some capacity. He worked with the outside backers in 2000 and 2001 before coaching the entire group in 2002 and 2003.
During his tenure with the Wolf Pack, it beat a Pac-10 team for the first time in 55 years and knocked off a top-25 ranked FBS team for the first time in school history. The program increased its win total in each of his four seasons.
In his first stint with the Vandals, he worked under Coach Chris Tormey, whom Mills later followed to Nevada. Mills was part of a coaching staff that helped the program move from Division I-AA status to Division I-A.
During his first two years (1995 and 1996) the program competed on the I-AA level before achieving Division I status in 1997. He spent his first four campaigns coaching the secondary before taking over the defensive line responsibilities his final year. He served as coordinator in 1998 and 1999.
In 1998, the program posted a 9-3 mark winning the Big West Conference and Humanitarian Bowl championship. Mills' unit led the Big West in scoring defense and sacks. In 1999, the group posted a 7-4 mark. On the I-AA level, the program reached the playoffs in 1995 - his first year with the program.
Before joining the Idaho staff, he spent three years as the secondary coach at Montana State (1992-94). The Bobcats led the Big Sky Conference in total interceptions and pass efficiency defense his second year while leading I-AA in turnover margin and the conference in total interceptions in 1992.
Mills had two successful campaigns as a graduate assistant at Washington for Coach Don James. In 1991, the Huskies earned a share of the national championship and won the Rose Bowl posting a 12-0 record. In 1990, UW won the Rose Bowl finishing with a 10-2 mark.
He had one-year coaching stops at Drake and Western Washington where he handled a variety of duties.
A native of Urbandale, Iowa, Mills played quarterback and outside linebacker at then NAIA Division II Western Washington, graduating in 1988 with a degree in broadcast communication.
Jeff and his wife Karmen have two children, Amanda and Tyler. His brother, Jay, has been the head coach at Charleston Southern the past four seasons.

I believe this is a great addition to the defense. Heacock can focous on the head coaching job now.