PDA

View Full Version : Bison running 2 offenses for 2007

X-Factor
May 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
check out the 2 part exclusive interview with head coach Craig Bohl on www.wday.com

Sounds like a shotgun option offense let by QB Ryan Parsons will take the field once in a while this fall to offbalance defenses from the usual West Coast offense led by Steve Walker.

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
2 QB system?

MplsBison
May 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
If you got em, flaunt em.

NDSUFREAK
May 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Obviously see a lot more "SDSU game" plays this year from Parsons and Majeski. Those end arounds couldn't be stopped that night. I think it will work out great this year in fooling the defense.

X-Factor
May 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, Coach Bohl described it as similar to what Florida did with Leak and Tebow last year.

This change resulted from the competition at the backup QB position. Ryan Parsons and Nick Mertens have been battling for the past year and the coaches finally decided to move Mertens into the #2 spot. Parsons just wasn't grasping the WC offense well enough, but has tremendous athleticism so he would just make plays with his feet whenever he needed to.

With Mertens at backup, they can now concentrate Parsons on running his own show which may end up getting him on the field more than he would have as a backup QB.

X-Factor
May 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Obviously see a lot more "SDSU game" plays this year from Parsons and Majeski. Those end arounds couldn't be stopped that night. I think it will work out great this year in fooling the defense.

I'm not so sure either of those guys will get a chance to do the end arounds with Shamen Washington back.

I actually think Parsons may show up big this year when he gets in his comfort zone running the option for a series or so.

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, Coach Bohl described it as similar to what Florida did with Leak and Tebow last year.

This change resulted from the competition at the backup QB position. Ryan Parsons and Nick Mertens have been battling for the past year and the coaches finally decided to move Mertens into the #2 spot. Parsons just wasn't grasping the WC offense well enough, but has tremendous athleticism so he would just make plays with his feet whenever he needed to.

With Mertens at backup, they can now concentrate Parsons on running his own show which may end up getting him on the field more than he would have as a backup QB.

It is very popular these days. A lot more teams are doing that. Gives an extra wrinkle in the offense.

laxVik
May 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Certainly didn't work at Oregon.

Johnny5
May 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I've never been a big fan of the 2 QB system. Sometimes it makes it difficult for the rest of the O to establish a rhythm.

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I've never been a big fan of the 2 QB system. Sometimes it makes it difficult for the rest of the O to establish a rhythm.

You can always go away from it. Never hurts to work on it in spring practice. Gives your back up some snaps too.

Mr. C
May 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
If you got em, flaunt em.
Oh no, the Bison using the nasty, ieffective option. It can't possibly be. Why would they want to run something so ineffective? If the option was any good, all of the NFL teams would be using it. What is Craig Bohl thinking?
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

slostang
May 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Oh no, the Bison using the nasty, ieffective option. It can't possibly be. Why would they want to run something so ineffective? If the option was any good, all of the NFL teams would be using it. What is Craig Bohl thinking?

Good one Mr C.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
May 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Oh no, the Bison using the nasty, ieffective option.

There won't be any pitches on the run here.

We're talking about a 4 wide shotgun with the qb either handing it off or keeping it.

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Did App St run the option out of the shotgun at all last season? I think we did.

No_Skill
May 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Not sure where you get the impression that NDSU hates the option. Sure, today we run the West Coast, but in the past we have enjoyed great success running the option.

In fact, NDSU went to four straight DII NC games from '83 to '86, won three of them and lost by 1 in the other running the option. xreadx

Oh yeah, and the option works great against defenses that can't stop it. It's just that in the NFL, the D's are too good to run the option with any success. xtwocentsx

CopperCat
May 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Good stuff! I watched a few Florida games last year, and it seemed that Tebow and Leak really made things work. It will be interesting to see what happens for NDSU, especially during games like Cal Poly. I hope it works out well for ya'll!xthumbsupx

bisonguy
May 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Not sure where you get the impression that NDSU hates the option. Sure, today we run the West Coast, but in the past we have enjoyed great success running the option.

In fact, NDSU went to four straight DII NC games from '83 to '86, won three of them and lost by 1 in the other running the option. xreadx

Oh yeah, and the option works great against defenses that can't stop it. It's just that in the NFL, the D's are too good to run the option with any success. xtwocentsx

I believe it was more directed at MplsBison, who believes option offensive schemes are obsolete, along with natural turf.

Mr. C
May 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
There won't be any pitches on the run here.

We're talking about a 4 wide shotgun with the qb either handing it off or keeping it.
Excuses, excuses.
xlolx xnodx xrotatehx :) :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

Mr. C
May 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM

You need to get out more, No_Skill. Our friendly Bison fan from Minneapolis is always bashing option football, even though it is used to GREAT effect by any number of FCS squads, many who annually top the NCAA rushing charts. Mr. C loves the option and loves all of the scope and variety that you get in college football, particularly FCS. I wish the Bison the best of luck with their new system and their old one as well. I consider Craig Bohl one of the best coaches in FCS and think he OBVIOUSLY knows what he is doing with such things.

Mr. C
May 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Did App St run the option out of the shotgun at all last season? I think we did.
Yes, Appalachian State runs some option. Occasionally the QB (Armanti Edwards) runs wide, with the RB (Kevin Richardson) as the pitch man, usually in two-back sets, with a fake to the other back. In the bread butter play of the spread option, the QB reads the zone play (looking at what the DE is going to do), either handing to the RB, or keeping the ball. There are other "wrinkles" you can throw into the spread option, with wingbacks/slotbacks in motion as pitchmen, or utilizing option passes to the slotbacks or wingbacks. One of the strengths of the spread option is the ability to run most plays out of all sorts of different formations.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
If there isn't a running pitch possible, it's not an option play.

Shotgun singleback where the qb either hands it off or keeps it is not option.

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Yes, Appalachian State runs some option. Occasionally the QB (Armanti Edwards) runs wide, with the RB (Kevin Richardson) as the pitch man, usually in two-back sets, with a fake to the other back. In the bread butter play of the spread option, the QB reads the zone play (looking at what the DE is going to do), either handing to the RB, or keeping the ball. There are other "wrinkles" you can throw into the spread option, with wingbacks/slotbacks in motion as pitchmen, or utilizing option passes to the slotbacks or wingbacks. One of the strengths of the spread option is the ability to run most plays out of all sorts of different formations.

App St scares me. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Shotgun singleback where the qb either hands it off or keeps it is not option.

That's true...it's technically a QB choice. :D