PDA

View Full Version : New Stadium for TxSo?

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
The city of Houston and the Houston Dynamo of MLS are discussing a soccer-specific stadium (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/4804182.html).

I've seen it suggested in atleast one place (Jerome Solomon's blog at the Chronicle) that this stadium, which would be located near Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston, could be used for additional things such as Texas HS playoffs and Texas Southern football.

The location isn't far from Texas Southern and while I doubt they could fill the venue every week, they probably could pull in close to the 20k-22k stadium capacity for a few of their SWAC opponents and it would definitely make a home-and-home with nearby SLC foes like SHSU more attractive.

What's the word 3rd Coast Tiger? Panther88, got any thoughts on this?

McTailGator
May 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
The city of Houston and the Houston Dynamo of MLS are discussing a soccer-specific stadium (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/4804182.html).

I've seen it suggested in atleast one place (Jerome Solomon's blog at the Chronicle) that this stadium, which would be located near Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston, could be used for additional things such as Texas HS playoffs and Texas Southern football.

The location isn't far from Texas Southern and while I doubt they could fill the venue every week, they probably could pull in close to the 20k-22k stadium capacity for a few of their SWAC opponents and it would definitely make a home-and-home with nearby SLC foes like SHSU more attractive.

What's the word 3rd Coast Tiger? Panther88, got any thoughts on this?

I've been to Toyota Park in Chicago where their MLS soccer team plays (went there for a concert), VERY nice venue. Simular to The Berry Center Stadium on Barker-Cypress, only without the upper decks and one endzone is closed in. A simular style venue would be a great place for TxSo to call home and play football.

http://www.toyotapark.com/events/stadium.pdf

AND it would be a great place for the FCS National Championship football game should Houston decide to put a bid in for it. Houston would be an easier trip for teams West of the Mississippi, and airfares would be cheaper, especially with an airline sponsore for the game. Both Southwest Airlines and Continental have Hubs here in Houston. They could waive their 21 day advance rule and offer lower price tickets to fans of the participating schools. Even offer up charter planes.

The Greater Houston Sports Authority would be hard to beat if they decide to get behind such a game. They are the ones that approached the SLC about hosting the Basketball Tourney in Houston. If that got them exited, imagion what the NC game would do.

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/t100/imgs/stadium/bridgeview/corner.jpghttp://www.toyotapark.com/images/IMG_4945_small.jpg

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
McTailGator,

Now you got me excited about the chance of the FCS title game possibly coming to Houston. I'd be there in a heartbeat! The game being in Houston would be very easy for me to attend, especially since I could stay with my parents, who would not mind having me in town for anything... :)

I'm not sure the NCAA will allow Texas Southern to be the 'host' of any championship event for the time being after some issues when Texas Southern hosted the NCAA Bowling Championships. Not sure what issues occurred, but I was told this by a member of the media some time ago.

First things first...they got to get this stadium done. There are some things that got to get worked out (see Toyota Center's contract as it relates to 'competition' in the area and the transfer of land).

McTailGator
May 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
McTailGator,

Now you got me excited about the chance of the FCS title game possibly coming to Houston. I'd be there in a heartbeat! The game being in Houston would be very easy for me to attend, especially since I could stay with my parents, who would not mind having me in town for anything... :)

I'm not sure the NCAA will allow Texas Southern to be the 'host' of any championship event for the time being after some issues when Texas Southern hosted the NCAA Bowling Championships. Not sure what issues occurred, but I was told this by a member of the media some time ago.

First things first...they got to get this stadium done. There are some things that got to get worked out (see Toyota Center's contract as it relates to 'competition' in the area and the transfer of land).

I was thinking SHSU could be the host. I'd even think the SLC could help out as well. Hell I live in Tomball, I'd help out.

Plenty of opportunities for event sponsors, There must be 100 Fortune 500 companies in Houston not to mention all the Global companies like the one I work for (BP). I live 2 blocks from HP's Houston HQ too. A game sponsor is the one thing this event is missing IMO. Like the bowl games, a game sponsor could halp defry costs and even offer up a nice payday for the two teams that play in the game.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I was thinking SHSU could be the host. I'd even think the SLC could help out as well. Hell I live in Tomball, I'd help out.

Makes sense to me. The SLC has staged championships in Houston before (indoor track and field, golf and mens/womens basketball). It would not be hard to get a few SIDs from SLC schools to come into Houston to help out for the Div I title game...

McTailGator
May 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Makes sense to me. The SLC has staged championships in Houston before (indoor track and field, golf and mens/womens basketball). It would not be hard to get a few SIDs from SLC schools to come into Houston to help out for the Div I title game...

And don't forget that it was the Greater Houston Area Sports Authority (GHASA)that came calling on the SLC and made them an offer they couldn't refuse to move those events to Houston.

I think that if they build this stadium in Downtown Houston, and the GHASA want's the Division NC game, they will make an offer to the NCAA that they just can not refuse. The Friends of Finley will not have the resources to counter what the GHASA can do. They just have a crap load of money.

Hopefully the GHASA will move the SLC basketball tourney to the Berry Center in the future. Aline's arena kinda sucked.

MACHIAVELLI
May 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I am sure they would welcome it. I hope it works out

Sly Fox
May 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have a hard time seeing any taxpayer money going toward this stadium project after the the city & county ponied up so much for Minute Maid Park, Reliant Stadium & Toyota Center in the past few years. There would be some backlash.

The Dynamo need a stadium inside the loop but I just don't see it happening. They'll have to go where one will be provided for them unless they want to bring most of the money to the table. That's nto happening.

As for TSU, they need to get their house in order overall in order to keep their football program alive. I can't begin to explain what a mess the recent adminsitrators have left. Hopefully they can get their hous ein order so football can remain alive.

McTailGator
May 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I have a hard time seeing any taxpayer money going toward this stadium project after the the city & county ponied up so much for Minute Maid Park, Reliant Stadium & Toyota Center in the past few years. There would be some backlash.

The Dynamo need a stadium inside the loop but I just don't see it happening. They'll have to go where one will be provided for them unless they want to bring most of the money to the table. That's nto happening.

As for TSU, they need to get their house in order overall in order to keep their football program alive. I can't begin to explain what a mess the recent adminsitrators have left. Hopefully they can get their hous ein order so football can remain alive.

The Greater Houston Area Sports Authority is it's own taxing district and makes money from every hotel, rental car, in Harris County and ticket sold in one of it's 3 stadiums. They don't need anymore revenue to pay for a new stadium. They got cash coming out of thier ears.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
The Greater Houston Area Sports Authority is it's own taxing district and makes money from every hotel, rental car, in Harris County and ticket sold in one of it's 3 stadiums. They don't need anymore revenue to pay for a new stadium. They got cash coming out of thier ears.

And AEG is willing to kick in a fair share of money as well. GHASA is not going to have to finance it all...

PantherRob82
May 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM

That sounds so funny. Issues at the bowling chmpionship.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM
xlolx

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Nice little column on a forthcoming stadium vote that is likely to occur...

A person within the Anschutz Entertainment Group, the parent company of the Dynamo, said Saturday that AEG plans to provide more than 50 percent of the stadium's cost. That's more than McLane or Alexander financed for their respective stadiums.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/4819597.html

McTailGator
May 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Nice little column on a forthcoming stadium vote that is likely to occur...

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/4819597.html

I saw that in my morning paper today.

Given the need for a town town outdoor concert venue (smaller than MinuteMaid and Rice Stadium, this planned venue is a no brainer. And GHASA would only need to come up with half and still have 30 years to pay back the bonds. Be dumb not to build it I guess.

Hey, you's should host McNeese there every 2 years so you can use it as a home site to satisfy the NCAA to place a bid for the FCS NC game. xsmiley_wix

Be great for both our recruiting efforts.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM
This is why TxSo needs a stadium upgrade...

Meanwhile, Texas Southern, without the benefit of a large campus stadium, has yet to settle on a venue or a time to host the Jaguars.

TSU officials discussed the situation in a meeting Thursday. TSU spokesman Rodney Bush said the Texans' Reliant Stadium, Rice's Owl Stadium and the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium are all unavailable that weekend, and that the school is currently exploring other options.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/7675227.html

Without options, TxSo may have a bad situation for the game. They've played at a HS stadium in the area that was rather subpar (Tully) before. With HS football in session, it'll be tough to find a decent HS venue that weekend...