PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown

eagle36
August 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Georgetown begins practice today would appreciate any reports since we live so far away. I sure wish their was more discussion about gt football! Hard to keep up

eagle36
August 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Does anyone go and watch practices? Some other schools give daily updates on practice. Any georgetown football fans out there??

LBPop
August 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Does anyone go and watch practices? Some other schools give daily updates on practice. Any georgetown football fans out there??

They had their first practice Wednesday afternoon. I get my first hand reports in the evening, but my "on site reporter" didn't have much news after one meeting and one practice. I should know more by Friday, but I have to be careful with what I post. It's no secret, however, that the offense is this year's big question mark and QB is the key question. There are about six contenders for the job (only two have any on field experience) and to my knowledge there is no clear cut leader in the competition. Not sure about getting to practices, but I plan to attend the intra-squad scrimmages. First one is scheduled for Saturday, August 20th.

Glad to have another fellow Hoya fan on the board. I'm a Division I-A convert having a kid at Georgetown. :p

TxSt02
August 11th, 2005, 05:38 PM

I hear these guys don't show up till around Nov on these boards but not until then do they get confused because we are discussing a sport without a round ball...

j/k georetown...

89Hen
August 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Alright. I'll take my camera with me to work tomorrow and try to get down to G'town at lunch and snap some photos if they let me on campus.

DFW HOYA
August 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Daily updates are rare, especially this time of year.

Washington in August is a ghost town of sorts. The President has left town, so has Congress, which means the lobbyists are out, too. With summer sessions ended, Georgetown is basically closed for much of the month. Only 3% of students come from DC, so there 's not a lot of students around to begin with, beyond football and new student orientation volunteers.

Key issues for training camp:

1. Quarterback
2. Any options at WR
3. Stands for the season opener (how much and how many)

eagle36
August 12th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Today is MEdia Day so maybe well get some reports. I here there are a talented group of WR but we'll see first scrimmage is this weekend.

89Hen
August 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Today is MEdia Day so maybe well get some reports.
Damn, wish I knew. Started 20 minutes ago. They list the first scrimmage as next Saturday (8/20). Maybe I can make that one.

LBPop
August 12th, 2005, 01:28 PM
They list the first scrimmage as next Saturday (8/20). Maybe I can make that one.

Might see you there. Problem is that the new field is surrounded by mud with the ongoing construction. Really don't know where we would stand unless we are outside the fence.

BTW, if they decide to have a scrimmage prior to the 20th, I should hear about it and I will post it.

eagle36
August 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Georgetwon scrimmmage game time for 8/20 has been changed to 9AM

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Good, will be easier for me to get there in the AM on Saturday. Working on credentials so I can get some photos to post here.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Georgetown doesn't post practice coverage on any team, not even basketball.

LBPop
August 15th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Georgetown doesn't post practice coverage on any team, not even basketball.

I have noticed that, DFW, but as a new Hoya fan I really don't know why. They also don't hype their recruits like many PL and almost every Ivy League team. Any history on that practice? Actually, I'm not complaining. Pre-season hype coming from the school itself is often just that. If they get it done on the field, the recognition will come naturally--not fabricated. Thanks.

massdad
August 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM
...man, was it hot. I about melted just standing on the sidelines, I don't know how the kids put up with the heat, but most seemed to be dealing with it. BTW, the field looks great...much of the brickwork for the perimeter fencing is going up...not sure to what extent it will be completed by first home game against the Brownies on Sept 17. Sunday was first day of live drills, and there was some good hitting going on. The team is working hard...and a number of the freshman are impressive. We picked up some speedy kids (receivers looking promising), as well as a couple of big linemen. Augie's workout program is having results with the vets...talking to my son, several players have really taken it to the next level from a size, strength, and speed standpoint...Buzbee and Ono, to name two...you thought they were good last year, well they both gained 20 plus lbs, and picked up some speed in the off season. QBs and receivers looked sharp, from what I could see...I couldn't single out a QB that stood out...it will be close between Nick and Keith. Don't think I'll be able to make scrimmages, so hopefully LBPop, or someone will have a report...not too much detail though, gotta keep a low profile until the season...hopefully it's GU's year to surprize a few folks in the PL...we'll find out soon enough.

eagle36
August 16th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the report. It sounds like things ar elooking good! I think today is the first 2 a days in pads. postponed because of heat yesterday I herad.
Not sure why school does not share anything I haven't been able to find anything in regards to media day

DTSpider
August 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
A little off topic but has anyone at Georgetown heard any rumors about your schedule for next year? I've heard here in Richmond some rumors about playing you. When is the new stadium scheduled to open? I imagine that Richmond would do a home & home with the game in DC at the new facility if possible.

LBPop
August 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM
A little off topic but has anyone at Georgetown heard any rumors about your schedule for next year? I've heard here in Richmond some rumors about playing you. When is the new stadium scheduled to open? I imagine that Richmond would do a home & home with the game in DC at the new facility if possible.

Currently the Hoyas website shows three open dates in 2006 (for two games). They are 9/23, 10/21 and 10/28. The 2007 schedule is full, unless by then they are allowed a 12th game. After that there are several open dates in 2008 and 2009. The new stadium should be fully complete for the 2006 season. A home and home series between these two schools would be a natural. Maybe you could check the future Richmond schedules.

eagle36
August 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Media Guide is on the university athletic page

89Hen
August 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
BTW, got my invite in the mail today for the 'Multi-Sport Facility, Phase I - Field Blessing' on Saturday, September 17th.

Pre-game field blessing and commemorative coin toss at 15:55pm followed by Georgetown Hoyas vs Brown University Bears.

I doubt I will be able to make it though. :(

Ken_Z
August 19th, 2005, 02:19 PM

well, if your going to go a little off topic, you might as well go way off topic. Richmond appeared on Bucknell's tentative 2006 schedule last I saw. Do you have any info on your end to confirm that is still in the plan? I trust the Spidey's will actually show up for the return engagement in 2007 and not beg of for a bigger game this time.