PDA

View Full Version : Hardest FCS Record to Break

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Which of these FCS records would be the hardest to break?

andy7171
May 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I voted for Montana and the playoff trips.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Montana's consecutive trips to the playoffs.

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
poll coming?

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
xconfusedx
I think there's a poll coming. I wish it would be that your post didn't show up until you finished creating your poll.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Montana's consecutive trips to the playoffs.

HA! I got one without seeing the poll. :D

BTW, Ronbo you may want to make it so a person can only choose one option. xtwocentsx

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
As much as it pains me, I'm gonna go with 6 NC's

NoCoDanny
May 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
They weren't in a row though.

Mountaineer
May 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I went with 80 consecutive losses by PV. xlolx

Yeah, the other choices look pretty tough, but 80 games?! Even when you're absolutely terrible something should go your way to win a game. :D xthumbsupx

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
They weren't in a row though.

yeah, just read it wrong

bison95
May 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
6 Flags! Something that is hard to maintain is championship quality, and keeping the core coaches from bolting to the FCS will only get harder.

NE MT GRIZZ
May 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
80 Losses. It's pretty hard work being that bad for a long period of time.!

andy7171
May 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I remember my sophomore year, our QB threw 7 interceptions at Maine. That sucked. I learned to just "contain" and not to chase the ball carrier the hard way, after the forth one. Anyone familiar with the term headplant?

I think that record still exists.

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
80 Losses. It's pretty hard work being that bad for a long period of time.!

Savannah St might give it a shot

are we talking just losses? or FCS losses? I mean, SSU frequently schedules D2 teams

813Jag
May 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
80 losses is really hard. I've seen plenty of bad teams not even go winless in one season.

poly51
May 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I went with the 80 losses. Though I must say 30 years without being shut out is pretty tough also.

andy7171
May 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Savannah St might give it a shot

are we talking just losses? or FCS losses? I mean, SSU frequently schedules D2 teams
I'm pretty sure thats 8 0-10 seasons.

http://www.diaafootball.com/wlt000591199099.html
OUCH! That must have SUCKED!

Black Saturday
May 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I went with 80 consecutive losses by PV. xlolx

Yeah, the other choices look pretty tough, but 80 games?! Even when you're absolutely terrible something should go your way to win a game. :D xthumbsupx

Maybe with Western Carolina's and Southern Utah's schedules this year they each can get started on Prairie View's record.xsmiley_wix

AppGuy04
May 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure thats 8 0-10 seasons.

so they'd have to lose to some D2 teams

andy7171
May 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
so they'd have to lose to some D2 teams
Yep.
3 wins in the 1990's.

Ivytalk
May 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I agree, although I was tempted to push the PV button! Lots of good options on this poll.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
80 losses...

Everyone can find a cupcake, especially those teams that lose a fair shake. They aren't in the Appalachian State situation with all those teams not wanting to play them...

CrunchGriz
May 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well, if you believe the hype here and over on eGriz, the choice that's tied for second in the voting, 14 consecutive playoff appearances by Montana, will be broken this year...

...by Montana, making its 15th straight playoff appearance.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think it has to be either the 80 consecutive losses by PV, the 328 games without being shutout by Dayton or the 39 consecutive home wins by GSU.

Assuming FCS or its like continues to exist for years to come, someone will eventually get six national titles, so I don't see that one as being insurmountable.

Of the three I mentioned, I went with the 39 consecutive home wins by GSU simply because I think there is far greater parity in the division now making a win streak like that very unlikely to happen again (actually, I don't think any of those three are likely to happen again).

blueballs
May 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
There are some other records that will be hard to top as well, although I think the Praire View thing will stand a long time:

Adrian Peterson's string of consecutive 100 yard rushing games, some of the GSU folks might know the real # but I think it is in the 40's regular season and 50 something including playoffs. His career rushing yards mark including playoffs and TD's scored including playoffs will awfully tough to top as well.

Richie Williams going 35-40 passing against Furman a couple of years ago.

Raymond Gross of GSU QB'ed 49 wins in his career, that one will be hard to top although Armanti Edwards is off to a nice start.

Mountaineer
May 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Possible SCBH. Though ASU is 12 wins off of tying GSU's home streak of 39. We're currently at 27. Highly likely we'll be at least 33 by seasons end. So it could happen. :D

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
6 Flags! Something that is hard to maintain is championship quality, and keeping the core coaches from bolting to the FCS will only get harder.
AppSt got 33% of the way there in just two seasons. The only problem about breaking that record is GSU isn't done yet.

WUTNDITWAA
May 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Eighty losses. You'd have to almost try to not try to suck that bad.

GaSouthern
May 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
GSU will break the 6 time national championship record, so don't vote for that one xnodx

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Of course you know that this poll applies to schools that DO NOT hold the records that are presently in progress. Ga Southern and Montana do not apply to the NC and Playoff Appearances records.xnodx

GaSouthern
May 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
oops :D

Fresno St. Alum
May 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
80 losses by Prairie View, the old record was 34 or 44 by Columbia. I think if a team starts to lose they'll schedule the Langston's, OPSU, and Trinity Bible's of the world.

PantherRob82
May 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
80 losses is REALLY bad.

AZGrizFan
May 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
AppSt got 33% of the way there in just two seasons. The only problem about breaking that record is GSU isn't done yet.

Exactly. The two hardest in my opinion are the sustained sucking and the sustained excellence....i.e., Prairie View and Montana's accomplishments. xthumbsupx

appst97
May 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM
What about breaking GSU's and YSU's record of 2 in a row?

kardplayer
May 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
This is a great poll and a tough question. I agonized before making my selection:

15 consecutive shutout quarters by Robert Morris.

My reason - no margin for error whatsoever. One blown coverage, poorly timed fumble, or holding call the ref misses to pop a runner for a long TD (or into FG range), and the streak is over.

My thoughts on the others:
Prairie View - I feel like Savannah State could break that record (I can definitely see them losing 80 straight FCS games)

24 consecutive wins - the money games make this one out of reach for most squads, unless they win the NC one year (at least 4 straight wins there to end the season), go undefeated the following year, including a money game victory (19 in a row now) and pick up five more either to end season 1 or a the beginning of season 3 (which is likely to include another game). Possible, but if App State hadn't scheduled a money game last year, they'd be on the right track.

6 national championships - some team will eventually tie this record. It may be 50 years from now, but someone else will get to 6 (although Ga. Southern could have won more by then to extend, but you get my point)

Games without being Shutout - wow. This was a tough one, but the way scheduling works now, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the power teams had long streaks going (unless they were shutout in money games or caught in a massive storm)

Playoff appearances - very impressive, but I can see a school like Hampton making a similar run given the growing strength of their program and the relative strength of many of the rest of the teams in their conference (downside: very few at larges in the MEAC make this more difficult)

39 home wins - i thought app state was getting close (as noted above), plus in the weaker conferences, many of the home games are "gimmees", so it really amounts to winning just one or two tough games a year.

5 shutouts by SC State - another wow one. Would have to be from a weak schedule to see it tied/broken

BrevardMountaineer03
May 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM

I have to agree. It's tough to win one, but 6 that takes continued talent, great recruiting, and coaching.

2 is a feat within itself, but I am hoping we can continue and challenge that record. But it ain't going to be easy!xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
May 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
What about breaking GSU's and YSU's record of 2 in a row?

huh? I thought YSU won 3 in a row? and didn't they play in four straight NC games? (not sure about the latter)

appst97
May 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I don't believe anyone has won 3 in a row......yet

BigApp
May 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I went with the 24 consective wins. That's pretty tuff.

Eyes of Old Main
May 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM
15 shutout quarters would be tough. Very unlikely anyone goes almost 4 games in a row without being scored upon. Even the weakest FCS teams often get a field goal or something against top 10 FBS teams.

Mr. C
May 18th, 2007, 01:58 AM
The record on there that is in the most peril right now is Georgia Southern's 39-consecutive home victories. ASU is at 27 now and has six regular-season home games, which the Mountaineers will be heavy favorites in. If ASU is the first or second seed in the playoffs, that could be another three wins to possibly push the string to 36. That would put the record in range for 2008.

On Savannah State, the Tigers broke their winless string last season. If SSU lost every game for SEVEN years, the Tigers would still be three games away from tying Prairie View's record.

Montana and Dayton have truly impressive records that won't be threatened for some time, if ever.

On the subject of Robert Morris, I've seen defenses good enough to shut teams out for extended periods. I could see a team with four straight shutouts (and six in a season, to bring South Carolina State into the talk).

It would be pretty remarkable to see someone break Adrian Peterson's record and it would take a remarkable day to better Richie Williams' 28-consecutive pass completions and 40-of-45 mark in one game (both NCAA all-division records).

813Jag
May 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM
80 losses by Prairie View, the old record was 34 or 44 by Columbia. I think if a team starts to lose they'll schedule the Langston's, OPSU, and Trinity Bible's of the world.

During that streak they did play those kinds of teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM

The 6 flags would be second place for me because of the increasing parity in FCS and because of the tendancy of teams to think they are ready for FBS because they have one flag.

For first place, I would have to go with PVAMU's 80 consecutive losses. That kind of a record isn't of an age, but for all time.

Also, I know there isn't a lot of space on these polls, but I would also include as nominations:
a10 getting three at-large bids in '04
YSU going to four straight national championships ('91-'94)

Seawolf97
May 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Voted for the 24 straight wins - thats two perfect seasons plus 2 wins - thats tough

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Voted for Dayton's shutout record, without question.

Bad teams can lose consecutive games. If you put PV in the A-10, it could lose 80, too. Conversely, teams can string long playoff runs--if the MAAC had an autobid, Duquesne would be halfway to 14 already.

But try going nearly 33 years without a shutout--that's impressive under any definition.

igo4uni
May 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I voted for GSU's 39 straight wins at home........very impressive!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

bjtheflamesfan
May 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I voted for 15 shutout quarters by Robert Morris, 80 consecutive losses by Prairie View, and of course 328 consecutive games without being shut out by Dayton. The Dayton streak is probably the most impressive because It takes a lot for a team to go 33 full seasons (against some pretty stout competition) to not get shut out even once (and this record is still going to boot)

ngineer
May 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Voted for Dayton's shutout record, without question.

Bad teams can lose consecutive games. If you put PV in the A-10, it could lose 80, too. Conversely, teams can string long playoff runs--if the MAAC had an autobid, Duquesne would be halfway to 14 already.

But try going nearly 33 years without a shutout--that's impressive under any definition.

I agree and that's what I voted for. That is an incredible amount of time not to have been goose-egged. Considering the vagaries that can occur with bad weather, just plain bad games when the wheels can fall off, goint that long is impressive.

grizband
May 19th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I voted for the 80 game losing streak by Prairie View - 8 full seasons without a win seems like a difficult feat...xeekx

The last game in which Dayton was shutout was against Marshall on October 16, 1976, a game Marshall won 9-0. My question, is that since Dayton has only been an FCS team since 1993 (they were division III from 1977-1992), can this be considered an FCS record?

flea
May 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Man imagine being a fan at the game when they finally won a game.

Ronbo
May 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
The last game in which Dayton was shutout was against Marshall on October 16, 1976, a game Marshall won 9-0. My question, is that since Dayton has only been an FCS team since 1993 (they were division III from 1977-1992), can this be considered an FCS record?

It's listed in the FCS records at ncaa.org.

bjtheflamesfan
May 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Prarie View led Sportscenter the night they broke the losing streak

grizband
May 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
It's listed in the FCS records at ncaa.org.
Then I stand corrected, Ronbo. Sorry, just curious about the record, still impressive, no matter the division of play.

813Jag
May 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
The scariest thing was the week leading up to a game with PVU, especially if you were struggling. Nobody wanted to be on the losing end of that game xnonono2x

th0m
May 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Voted for the 24 straight wins - thats two perfect seasons plus 2 wins - thats tough

Actually, assuming there were playoffs when these 24 straight games happened, there needn't have been a perfect season for this to occur.

twentythreeOh4
May 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
On the 24 straight wins, it should be noted that Montana accomplished the feat with playoffs -- they had to win the National Championship. Penn did not participate in the playoffs, so while it's still very impressive, it's not quite the same thing.

For example, the '95-'96 Griz had an impressive streak of 21 straight wins that ended in the NC @ Marshall. The 2000 Griz had a streak of 13 wins that ended in the NC against Georgia Southern. Between 2000 and 2002 the Griz had a stretch were they won 38 of 40 games with the only losses being the aforementioned NC against GSU and game at I-A Hawaii.

It's a lot harder to keep a streak going when you have to run the table in the playoffs and play I-A games -- UM's 24 game streak included two wins over Idaho. The Grizzlies 21 game streak included a win over Oregon St. App St. would have a great streak going if they didn't have the I-A BCS games on their schedule. Yes I'm penciling in a loss against Michigan :)

catdaddy2402
May 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM
15 shutout quarters would be tough. Very unlikely anyone goes almost 4 games in a row without being scored upon. Even the weakest FCS teams often get a field goal or something against top 10 FBS teams.
That's why I voted for SCSU.

How hard is it for a team to keep another team from scoring in 5 straight games? Unreal.

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM

think anyone was there? xlolx

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM
On the 24 straight wins, it should be noted that Montana accomplished the feat with playoffs -- they had to win the National Championship. Penn did not participate in the playoffs, so while it's still very impressive, it's not quite the same thing.

For example, the '95-'96 Griz had an impressive streak of 21 straight wins that ended in the NC @ Marshall. The 2000 Griz had a streak of 13 wins that ended in the NC against Georgia Southern. Between 2000 and 2002 the Griz had a stretch were they won 38 of 40 games with the only losses being the aforementioned NC against GSU and game at I-A Hawaii.

It's a lot harder to keep a streak going when you have to run the table in the playoffs and play I-A games -- UM's 24 game streak included two wins over Idaho. The Grizzlies 21 game streak included a win over Oregon St. App St. would have a great streak going if they didn't have the I-A BCS games on their schedule. Yes I'm penciling in a loss against Michigan :)

Agreed. Penn's is not as difficult.