PDA

View Full Version : GSU Spring Game Highlight Video

GaSouthern
May 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRPs8NVVn4

Special Thanks to Ralph & Bulloch Headline News!!!

MR. CHICKEN
May 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM
GAME BALL TA # 20............................xsmileyclapx......DO ODLE-DOO!

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Top 5 Reasons to watch:

#1- Hot GSU Co-eds!
#2- Jayson Foster at QB!
#3- Stellar defense!
#4- #20, Chris Ashtounki (I spelled that wrong, but just watch.. it doesn't even show the diving catch out of nowhere. And he is still really young!)
#5- HOT GSU CO-EDS!!! (Sorry, they are worth listing twice!)

seantaylor
May 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Top 5 Reasons to watch:

#1- Hot GSU Co-eds!
#2- Jayson Foster at QB!
#3- Stellar defense!
#4- #20, Chris Ashtounki (I spelled that wrong, but just watch.. it doesn't even show the diving catch out of nowhere. And he is still really young!)
#5- HOT GSU CO-EDS!!! (Sorry, they are worth listing twice!)

#20 is Steve Cundari. He will be a force this year.

GaSouthern
May 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm glad to see #20 show his stuff, gives us something to look forward to in the catching department, a place I think were shorter (and or weaker) than we realize.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM
#20 is Steve Cundari. He will be a force this year.

Hey, I told you I spelled it wrong!! :D

SeattleGriz
May 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM
So whats up with the offense? Looked like a lot of passing.

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Looked good. Defense was hitting hard.

GaSouthern
May 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM
If I remember correctly, our freshman backup had 300+ yards in the first 1/2 passing but not that many TD's.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
So whats up with the offense? Looked like a lot of passing.

Our new offense is a variation of the Hal Mumme Air Raid Offense. Hatcher played under Mumme as QB at Valdosta State before Mumme went to coach at The University of Kentucky. It works by getting the ball in the hands of playmakers as quickly as possible after the snap. The standard set is shotgun-1 RB. The RB reads the blitz and picks it up if there is one and if there isn't he runs out on a swing route or swoop route. A lot of misdirection, a lot of criss cross, and basically just a lot of things to keep the defense way off balance. It's a lot like the triple option but instead of pitching the ball backwards, it's going towards the endzone. There is a lot of passing of all lengths. The passes open up opportunities for huge runs. In some situations depending on who we are playing, we might run more, using an awesomely fast run run scheme to open up passes.

I have seen the playbook and it's pretty amazing. I'm not giving away any details, but I promise you that GSU will be something to watch in the next few years.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Looked good. Defense was hitting hard.

That is the idea behind it. We will be using a rover on defense. Hit-em high, hit-em hard. Demoralize the opponent as much as possible. Our defense is looking very sharp. The only real weakness is the MLB position and the DL. They aren't bad but they aren't exactly good as they are young or moved from another position.

GoldandBlack
May 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I like the different look, which is exactly what I expected from Coach Hatcher. Too early to tell how the team will adapt to the new system in game conditions this year, but it's a system that looks to have a lot of promise.

May 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRPs8NVVn4
Special Thanks to Ralph & Bulloch Headline News!!!Thanks for the tip for Ralph Wallace but the photos are courtesy of College Sporting News, not AGS. :)

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I like the different look, which is exactly what I expected from Coach Hatcher. Too early to tell how the team will adapt to the new system in game conditions this year, but it's a system that looks to have a lot of promise.

A friend who I worked with last summer went to Valdosta St. and tells me that Hatcher is the master of in game adjustments. BVG was super rigid and refused to adjust (which is one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason, we lost so much last year).

Just judging from the spring game, there are some small things that need fixing. Small things aside, I honestly do feel that we will suprise a lot of people next year. Home team bias aside, I seriously think we can be #2 or #3 in the SoCon next year. I don't want to hear that i'm crazy or what not, I am just saying that it is a definate possibility.

bobbythekidd
May 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Just judging from the spring game, there are some small things that need fixing.
If you think think the kicking game is a small thing, and not very important, I agree.

Did you ever once see a coach work with a kicker/punter during Spring? Me neither. I did, on the other hand, watch a group of guys kicking the ball in the air to themselves. Super, we can play catch with ourselves.xmadx Everyone likes to point out we lost the last 5 games by a total of 21 points. Do you know what aspect of the game cost us those points? Who is listed as our ST coach?

Correct, we don't have one.

Our guys need some help here. We never bothered with it in the past b/c we could just put the ball in the endzone more often than the other guy. Last year we were not so lucky . Our only hope is that we can do that again this year.

SeattleGriz
May 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Our new offense is a variation of the Hal Mumme Air Raid Offense. Hatcher played under Mumme as QB at Valdosta State before Mumme went to coach at The University of Kentucky. It works by getting the ball in the hands of playmakers as quickly as possible after the snap. The standard set is shotgun-1 RB. The RB reads the blitz and picks it up if there is one and if there isn't he runs out on a swing route or swoop route. A lot of misdirection, a lot of criss cross, and basically just a lot of things to keep the defense way off balance. It's a lot like the triple option but instead of pitching the ball backwards, it's going towards the endzone. There is a lot of passing of all lengths. The passes open up opportunities for huge runs. In some situations depending on who we are playing, we might run more, using an awesomely fast run run scheme to open up passes.

I have seen the playbook and it's pretty amazing. I'm not giving away any details, but I promise you that GSU will be something to watch in the next few years.

Thanks for the info. I know many want GSU back at the top again, me included - too much history to not be.

blueballs
May 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM
There is some good talent in the program to be sure. How quick the talent can adapt to the new system will be a key issue, as will be the QB play and kicking game. There were several players who will play key roles in the coming season who didn't participate in the spring game.

To me one of the overlooked but most critical issues is the psyche of the team. Since 2002 GSU has been a tremendous team when it had the lead and could "stomp the gas" and pile on, but not a very good team when challenged and didn't react to pressure well at all- with the notable exception being the Furman game in 2005- and often self destructed when another team pressured them or stood up to them.

I wonder if the team collectively will think "here we go again" (as teams coming off a 3-8 season often do) when the inevitable adversity comes or if they will come together and grow some balls and stand up and fight. The real winners in sports and in life are those who play best when the money is on the table and are able to overcome adversity. They sure as hell didn't last year, but alot of folks think that came from the head coach.

IMO that will be one of the new staff's greatest challenges as it was one of the two former staffs' great shortcomings.

GaSouthern
May 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
six wins is a must IMO