PDA

View Full Version : Who starts on a Thursday?

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Curious how many teams kickoff their season on Thursday night. UNI does.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Bearkats do as well, against Div II Angelo State...

Aug. 30 (Thur) 6 p.m. ANGELO STATE HUNTSVILLE

Good thing too for the SID staff, who has SHSU hosting a volleyball tournament that weekend. Good there is no overlap as that's always a rough start to the year when having a VB tourney...

SunCoastBlueHen
May 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Delaware @ William and Mary Thursday 8/30 6PM EDT

Sir William
May 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM

That's a great game to start the season.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM

First game ever under the CAA moniker as well - actually pits the two most successful teams in the conference (measured by in conference winning percentage since they joined).

MplsBison
May 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
There should be rules forcing games to be played on Saturdays.

During the week forces players to miss classes they don't need to miss and doesn't give non local fans a fair shot at traveling to the game.

crunifan
May 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I didn't think UNI stated on a Thursday this year. Or is that when we play Minnesota State?

Golden Eagle
May 11th, 2007, 06:10 PM
August 30 - Tennessee Tech @ Eastern Illinois.

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I didn't think UNI stated on a Thursday this year. Or is that when we play Minnesota State?

i was pretty positive we played them Thurs night. Would be great if it was actually Saturday.

appsfan
May 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Too bad there won't be any TV coverage of this game for everyone to enjoy.:(

Cobblestone
May 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM

During the week forces players to miss classes they don't need to miss and doesn't give non local fans a fair shot at traveling to the game.

I've always said this because I think playing on Saturday afternoons is what originally made college football special to being with. Thursday night games suck for many home fans as well as visiting fans. Now, you see college football played any night of the week. Just go back to playing on Sat. afternoons.

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Thursday games are a pain. Even home games cause me to use flex time.

BearsCountry
May 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM
The Thursday game before Labor Day is a smart idea after that its just stupid. Missouri State's first two games are on Thursdays.

Tribe4SF
May 12th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Gametime has not been set for this game. Expect it to be 7 or 7:30, rather than 6.

Golden Eagle
May 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's all fine and good to say "only play on Saturday" when you're filling your stadium every week, but when you play on a Thursday night and triple the attendance you would have had two days later, then we can talk.

Jiggs
May 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Samford opens at home on a Thursday against D-II West Alabama and then has more than a week to prepare for Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

TheTribeHasSpoken
May 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
First game ever under the CAA moniker as well - actually pits the two most successful teams in the conference (measured by in conference winning percentage since they joined).Nice save at the end there. You got awfully close to insulting the best team ever of all timexlolx

ISUMatt
May 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM
ISU opens on a Thursday vs Drake

bjtheflamesfan
May 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Liberty opened on a Thursday against St Pauls last year. This year the opener is on a Saturday. It rained the whole game (I remember because I was in teh band and we had to perform halftime with no rain gear...needless to say there were a lot of sick people for the next week or two)

PantherRob82
May 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Samford opens at home on a Thursday against D-II West Alabama and then has more than a week to prepare for Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

That's the only positive is more prep for next game.

th0m
May 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Gonna be sweet. An easy opportunity to follow even more CAA games from the get-go.

SiouxFallsJack
May 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
We open at Western Illinois on August 30th and I hope to make the game.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Especially since my sister (she and her husband are Hens) has a home in Williamsburg and it's Labor Day weekend! I'll be going down Thursday morning for the loooong weekend. xthumbsupx

Delaware often starts on Thursdays now because of Labor Day weekend. Many beach goers in this part of the country and now they can go to a game Thursday night and head to the beach Friday. Perfect weekend.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
And rules against playing on grass. xrolleyesx

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I've always said this because I think playing on Saturday afternoons is what originally made college football special to being with. Thursday night games suck for many home fans as well as visiting fans. Now, you see college football played any night of the week. Just go back to playing on Sat. afternoons.
Very few teams play more than one game on a Thursday in the course of the year and most of them are I-A that revolve around the ESPN schedule. IMO it ends up being a 'special' thing because it's so rare and something different.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Especially since my sister (she and her husband are Hens) has a home in Williamsburg and it's Labor Day weekend! I'll be going down Thursday morning for the loooong weekend. xthumbsupx

Delaware often starts on Thursdays now because of Labor Day weekend. Many beach goers in this part of the country and now they can go to a game Thursday night and head to the beach Friday. Perfect weekend.

Remind me to be envious of you as the end of August approaches. xthumbsupx

Hard to beat that set-up for a long, enjoyable Labor Day weekend!

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
And rules against playing on grass. xrolleyesx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

blukeys
May 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Yes one can take in a game then head for the Beach for the weekend. But there are equally valid reasons such as traffic tie ups going to a Saturday game.

Something folks in the Midwest don't get is what a hassle the traffic is going to a football game on the saturday of Labor Day weekend. I know I-95 going past Newark will be a 3 lane parking lot on that Saturday. I can't think of a worse scenario for going to a football game then being tied up with bumper to bumper Labor day weedend traffic.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Talk to the NCAA about Friday night FCS Championship games, too.

andy7171
May 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM

First grass fields and now Thursday night games? What's next? Not being allowed to sack the QB?

Did you have anything to do with having "Bull in the Ring" made illegal?

GoGuins
May 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM
This is the first time in years that I don't see YSU opening on a Thursday against Slippery Rock, Lock Haven, or Edinboro

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hey GoGuins, is that guy involved in backyard wrestling? ;)

Maverick
May 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Here's a strange one on the Thursday games. Tennessee Tech has 6 of its first 7 games on a Thursday (the only exception is a Saturday, Oct. 6 for Homecoming). The first Thursday game is the conference opener at EIU that has already been mentioned. How many other schools have more than 1 Thursday game? Better yet how many Thursday games does your school have this year?

andy7171
May 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Towson plays CCSU on 8/30.
That's the only Thursday game on the schedule.

SIX THURSDAY GAMES! WTF! Is there something wrong with the field? Do they play on someone elses field?

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Tennessee Tech has 6 of its first 7 games on a Thursday (the only exception is a Saturday, Oct. 6 for Homecoming).
WTF? xconfusedx Perhaps they played a Thursday night game and it was a success and they figured more of a good thing can't hurt. xnutsx

Golden Eagle
May 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
SIX THURSDAY GAMES! WTF! Is there something wrong with the field? Do they play on someone elses field?

Actually, we're at the moment in the process of installing some nice FieldTurf to replace our old green concrete, er, AstroTurf.

WTF? xconfusedx Perhaps they played a Thursday night game and it was a success and they figured more of a good thing can't hurt.

Yep. We had a couple last year and I think our attendance was triple that of an average Saturday game. It's hard to compete with Knoxville you know.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yep. We had a couple last year and I think our attendance was triple that of an average Saturday game. It's hard to compete with Knoxville you know.
I hope it pans out for you, but having most of your games on Thursday night might make it less special. UD had a night game one year and it was a huge success, so they did it again and again and now usually play all September games at 7pm, so maybe this will work for TTU. Best of luck with it, I hope you quadruple atttendance. xthumbsupx xpeacex

PantherRob82
May 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Here's a strange one on the Thursday games. Tennessee Tech has 6 of its first 7 games on a Thursday (the only exception is a Saturday, Oct. 6 for Homecoming). The first Thursday game is the conference opener at EIU that has already been mentioned. How many other schools have more than 1 Thursday game? Better yet how many Thursday games does your school have this year?

Wow, 6 Thursday games. Hope it works out well.

GeauxLions94
May 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Southeastern Louisiana opens Aug. 30 at New Mexico State. Then it's nine days off until Kansas xoopsx

Tribe4SF
May 17th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Delaware at W&M game has been set for a 7:30 start on Aug. 30. Will be broadcast on CN8.

th0m
May 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Schweet!