PDA

View Full Version : Save your tricks for the FCS??

mcveyrl
May 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
A post by dbackjon got me thinking (scary, I know)

Should an FCS team playing an FBS team first on the schedule show its full hand during the game, or should the offseason gameplan center around the first FCS opponent.

For instance, ASU is playing Michingan (if you did not know that, I alert you to the fact that there is also a Hot, Hot, Hot video on the internet and a horse by the name of this website ran the Derby last Saturday).
Should the Mountaineers show the full breadth of their playbook against Meeshigan or stick to a limited playbook and allow for some surprises against their first FCS foe?

My gut reaction is win at all costs, but what do you guys think?

AppGuy04
May 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
A post by dbackjon got me thinking (scary, I know)

Should an FCS team playing an FBS team first on the schedule show its full hand during the game, or should the offseason gameplan center around the first FCS opponent.

For instance, ASU is playing Michingan (if you did not know that, I alert you to the fact that there is also a Hot, Hot, Hot video on the internet and a horse by the name of this website ran the Derby last Saturday).
Should the Mountaineers show the full breadth of their playbook against Meeshigan or stick to a limited playbook and allow for some surprises against their first FCS foe?

My gut reaction is win at all costs, but what do you guys think?

I say it depends how close the game is

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I think play to win, but if the game gets out of hand, then shut it down to some degree.

And glad that it is ONCE!!! ;)

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
"you play to win the game, that's what you do!"

yes win at all costs

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Agreed, go all out as long as it's feasible. If the game turns (which will happen at Michigan) close up the book and just try to keep guys from getting injured. xthumbsupx

GoldandBlack
May 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Just a hunch, but I've gotta think Coach Moore goes into that game with a lot more in the way of misdirection sets than App State would use against FCS during the regular season.

Not to say he'll have a completely different offensive plan by any means, and I don't think he'll go in with "limits" on plays, but that he'll have it tweaked to try to take advantage of Michigan's superior speed. xtwocentsx

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Just a hunch, but I've gotta think Coach Moore goes into that game with a lot more in the way of misdirection sets than App State would use against FCS during the regular season.

Not to say he'll have a completely different offensive plan by any means, and I don't think he'll go in with "limits" on plays, but that he'll have it tweaked to try to take advantage of Michigan's superior speed. xtwocentsx

NAU did that to Arizona State - caught them napping a couple of times in formations that showed Arizona State did not respect our QB or Recievers - made them pay for it.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
You play to win. Mickey Matthews is notorious for not doing this in playing up a level at JMU, but mostly I think that was because JMU's recently faced VT 2x when they were highly ranked and a top 10 WVU team.

He better give UNC all hell come Sept. 1!!! I have heard he intends to. We ain't the same Dukes from his early years at JMU.

If a team is getting crushed, no reason to kill yourself either. Play to win until it seems futile. I think App St. will hold it own against Michigan, and I'm rooting for the upset!

GoldandBlack
May 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
NAU did that to Arizona State - caught them napping a couple of times in formations that showed Arizona State did not respect our QB or Recievers - made them pay for it.

Yep- I've seen Wofford use that strategy a time or two against South Carolina, Clemson, and a few other ACC teams. Definitely makes for a more interesting game.xthumbsupx

DunkandDukin
May 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
You play to win. Mickey Matthews is notorious for not doing this in playing up a level at JMU, but mostly I think that was because JMU's recently faced VT 2x when they were highly ranked and a top 10 WVU team.

He better give UNC all hell come Sept. 1!!! I have heard he intends to. We ain't the same Dukes from his early years at JMU.

If a team is getting crushed, no reason to kill yourself either. Play to win until it seems futile. I think App St. will hold it own against Michigan, and I'm rooting for the upset!

Beat me to it. I think the quote someone had was "yuo bet we're gonna get after their dadgum asses" or something to that effect. and i have for the most part agreed with the approach he has taken in the past. We played the #8 WVU game pretty tight juntil a bad mistake or two or three and boom 21 straight pts for WV, something like that. If/when that happens, fine- roll 'em up. I honestly think the UNC game could be if not winnable then certainly competitive. Iff we are in it late we play to win and I think that's the approach MM and Co. will take.

Least I hiope it is if I'm driving to CH and putting out bucks for a hotel etc...xeyebrowx

813Jag
May 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You gotta come out to win. I don't think any coach would expect anything else. After that if it gets out of hand try to avoid injuries at all cost.

GOKATS
May 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Play to win, but the first game of the season is going to be fairly conservative play call wise anyway so it's not like you're showing your hole card. The razzle dazzle stuff comes later.

CSUBUCDAD
May 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Really curious to see how Mills is going to play UH. My gut says he will come out guns blazing with alot of high risk, high payoff stuff CSU is not known for and see what happens. Running game though is going to be a little stouter than last year so it will be interesting to see how he folds that into a game plan to try and put up quick points. You know UH is going to throw 80% of the time so I see defensively going to a dime package and just staying there the whole game. I agree though that if it gets out of hand, pull the skill guys and get the subs some experience. No need in risking putting someone out for the season when you 5 touchdowns behind in the 4th quarter.