PDA

View Full Version : UMass to Play UConn!!!!

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Can't wait!xbowx

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/umstory.cfm?id_no=41052

UMASS VS. UCONN - Fans rooting for a football game against UConn are getting their wish, but it won't come for a little while.
UMass and UConn are currently scheduled to meet on Aug. 30, 2012. Most of the true freshmen that will be on the field for that game are scheduled to start eighth grade in the fall. The game, which will be played at Rentschler Field in Hartford will be the first meeting between the two teams since 1998 when UConn left the Atlantic 10 to upgrade to Division I-A. UMass is receiving $225,000 to play this game.
'I think it's a natural,' Brown said. 'We tried to get them on the schedule earlier. It's a shame that it's going to have to go that long before we lock horns. We have a lot of respect for Coach (Randy) Edsall and his program. That will be a fun game.'
The Minutemen have contracts in place to play a Division I-A opponent for five of the next six seasons. Only 2010 doesn't have a game finalized, but according to associate athletic director Thorr Bjorn, the school expects to add one for that year as well.
UMass is scheduled to play Boston College in 2007 (Sept. 29) and 2011 (Oct. 1). The Minutemen get $200,000 for this year's game and $225,000 for the next one. UMass will get $300,000 for the 2008 game at Texas Tech (Sept. 20) and $350,000 for the game at Kansas State on Sept. 5, 2009.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
This isn't new news. xconfusedx

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
This isn't new news. xconfusedx

Where else has it been released or posted?xeyebrowx

UNH_ORACLE
May 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It really isn't even news to begin with. 2012? Why doesn't UCONN suck it up and play ya'll now.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
It really isn't even news to begin with. 2012? Why doesn't UCONN suck it up and play ya'll now.

They probably figure they'll be respectable by then.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Where else has it been released or posted?xeyebrowx

It's been on umasshoops a few times before. Maybe you haven't seen it, but it's certainly not a new development.

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It's been on umasshoops a few times before. Maybe you haven't seen it, but it's certainly not a new development.

The other games yes--the UConn game is new on umasshoops.

http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm

At least we get to play the cons again.xthumbsupx

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
The other games yes--the UConn game is new on umasshoops.

http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm

At least we get to play the cons again.xthumbsupx

I know berkman mentioned it before, it's not new :) You even quoted berkman saying it! :)

Either way, I agree, at least UMass plays them again.

89Hen
May 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
You need to do a home and home with them in a single year like 1998... that didn't work out well for the UConn games, but sure worked out well for the Minutemen in the big picture. xthumbsupx

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Maroon&White]You even quoted berkman saying it! :) QUOTE]

Explain please...xconfusedx

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I know berkman mentioned it before, it's not new :) You even quoted berkman saying it! :)

Either way, I agree, at least UMass plays them again.

Where did I quote berkman? xconfusedx

Send me a PM

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
You need to do a home and home with them in a single year like 1998... that didn't work out well for the UConn games, but sure worked out well for the Minutemen in the big picture. xthumbsupx

The payout would be a whole lot better this time for two games with them.:D

CopperCat
May 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
They probably figure they'll be respectable by then.
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox
Good luck to them!!

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Very cool.

KAUMASS
May 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Double D..

Thanks for the update. I personally have not seen it anywhere else and can't wait to see that game. Fellow UMass AGSr's, take it easy on DD. The man deserves a ton of respect as a excellent former player who played in '76,'77, and '78. 1978 was one heck of a team and they beat the snot out of BC that year..

umassfan
May 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I found this out back when we were in Montana talking to a member of the athletic staff. Old news... but good news.

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Because there is no room on the Umass Schedule to play Uconn sooner. Ya'll xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Re-read the article.

The Minutemen have contracts in place to play a Division I-A opponent for five of the next six seasons. Ya'll

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 06:15 AM
So anyways, that's great news xthumbsupx . I always loved the Umass-Uconn games. xbowx xbowx

Col Hogan
May 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM
So anyways, that's great news xthumbsupx . I always loved the Umass-Uconn games. xbowx xbowx

Saint, what I really love, is folks complaining about the schedule news since it's 5 years out...not news, they say. Yet we watch other teams scrambling , for a variety of reasons good and bad, to put together schedules for this year.

I think all UMass supporters owe a little thanks to the AD and staff for looking ahead and keeping the UMass schedule lined up as they do...xbowx

Stop being so picky!! xnonono2x xpeacex

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Saint, what I really love, is folks complaining about the schedule news since it's 5 years out...not news, they say. Yet we watch other teams scrambling , for a variety of reasons good and bad, to put together schedules for this year.

I think all UMass supporters owe a little thanks to the AD and staff for looking ahead and keeping the UMass schedule lined up as they do...xbowx

Stop being so picky!! xnonono2x xpeacex

As always djp, you hit the nail on the head. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
For most of us on AGS, this is news. Thanks dennisdent for the update. UMass does a great job with scheduling from year to year. And all of us on AGS say go kick some UConn butt!

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM
For most of us on AGS, this is news. Thanks dennisdent for the update. UMass does a great job with scheduling from year to year. And all of us on AGS say go kick some UConn butt!

I'm going to get tickets for that game. xnodx xnodx

Cobblestone
May 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM

To put it in a less eloquent way... PLEASE UMASS, BEAT THE LIVING S*** OUT OF THEM!