PDA

View Full Version : UMass and Brown Extend Deal Five Years

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Perhaps getting to the Division I national title game is a good thing. Brown, who has been at UMass for three years just got an extension which will keep him at the school through 2011. Congrats to Brown. Well deserved and good luck this year in the A10...AND BEAT BC!
-------------
Football Coach Brown Agrees To Five-Year Extension Through 2011
May 7, 2007

AMHERST, Mass. - University of Massachusetts Director of Athletics John McCutcheon announced that the university and football head coach Don Brown have agreed to a five-year contract extension that will run through the 2011 season. Brown will begin his fourth season as the head coach at UMass this fall after leading the Minutemen to the Division I FCS National Championship game in 2006. Brown was hired to run the UMass program in February of 2004.

"We are very pleased that Don Brown will continue to direct the UMass football program," said McCutcheon. "This past season was one to remember for all UMass fans and with this agreement I know we will be in very good hands for many seasons to come."

Brown comes off a decorated season in 2006 after guiding UMass to a 13-2 overall record including an undefeated mark in the Atlantic 10 to claim the conference title. He was named the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year in addition to the American Football Coaches Association Region I Coach of the Year. Brown led UMass to the A-10 title with a mark of 8-0 in league play, the first undefeated season in conference play since Villanova in 1997. UMass won a school-record 12 games in a row on the way to the title game in 2006. The Minutemen finished ranked No. 2 in the nation.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050707aaa.html

Zoo
May 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Good news!

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Seeing how no Northeastern fan has taken a crack at this, I'll try - now that Brown has an extended contract from UMass, does that mean he's about to jump ship and go somewhere else??? :p :p :p :p :p :p

May 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Seeing how no Northeastern fan has taken a crack at this, I'll try - now that Brown has an extended contract from UMass, does that mean he's about to jump ship and go somewhere else??? :p :p :p :p :p :pnow now...

May 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
... Congrats to Brown. Well deserved and good luck this year in the A10...

"... after leading the Minutemen to the Division I FCS National Championship game..."That is the Division I National Championship game, no FCS in it.

BTW, Brown coaches in the CAA this year. :p

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
now now...

It was funny though (and I'm sure I wasn't the only person thinking it!) :p

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Seeing how no Northeastern fan has taken a crack at this, I'll try - now that Brown has an extended contract from UMass, does that mean he's about to jump ship and go somewhere else??? :p :p :p :p :p :p
Funny, but I was thinking the same thing when I read the headline. Where are all of those Northeastern fans around here?
:) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

May 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
It was funny though (and I'm sure I wasn't the only person thinking it!) :pyou certainly weren't... :D

saint0917
May 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I hear the Steelers are looking for a QB coach. ;) :p

Col Hogan
May 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I hear the Steelers are looking fo a QB coach. ;) :p

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx
xthumbsupx xpeacex

NU Hound29
May 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I am trying to keep my mouth shut....

Tilldog40
May 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
If he was going to leave Umass you would hear it from the new school that hired him. He doesn't like to tell his players face to face, he likes them to here it from the news. He doesn't have the balls to say it face to face.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
See, I knew the NU folks would come around soon enough - it was just a matter of time!!! Oh, and no word yet on where Brown could be headed - stay tuned!!! ;) xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

saint0917
May 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
See, I knew the NU folks would come around soon enough - it was just a matter of time!!! Oh, and no word yet on where Brown could be headed - stay tuned!!! ;) xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

You would think they would get over it by now. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM

As long as he's the coach in Amherst it will always come up. I can't blame them, either, I'd bring it up everytime too if my coach did that. xnodx

NU Hound29
May 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I agree with GannonFan, I think we have every right to bring it up. It was Sleaze 101.

Tilldog40
May 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I'm over it. He's just a scumbag and always will be.

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM
As long as he's the coach in Amherst it will always come up. I can't blame them, either, I'd bring it up everytime too if my coach did that. xnodx

Bingo ...

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I might be throwing a little fuel on the fire but here goes:

Brown has been around coaching a long time, (Dartmouth, Brown, UMass, Plymouth State) and if he was the devil that a few NU fans think he is wouldn't he be out of coaching by now? Why did NU fight so hard to keep him if he was such a "pos." What does it say about NU posters who write how much they despise him; but at the same time would've wanted him to stay at NU (as long as he kept winning of course)?

If he had been a lousy coach, NU would've fired his butt and not cared for a second about his family. That's the reality of college coaching at the FCS level.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Coach Brown made Northeastern respectable for the first time in a long time and led them to their first ever playoff appearance. He left for a better opportunity and NU fans are mad they lost him. It's understandable, but get over it already. Coaches leave for new jobs all the time, but the school and the fans don't have a hissy fit over it like NU did.

Congrats to Coach Brown for the extension.

May 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM
congrats coach and school

smack ------------------>

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Coach Brown made Northeastern respectable for the first time in a long time and led them to their first ever playoff appearance. He left for a better opportunity and NU fans are mad they lost him. It's understandable, but get over it already. Coaches leave for new jobs all the time, but the school and the fans don't have a hissy fit over it like NU did.

Congrats to Coach Brown for the extension.

You UMass fans just don't get it do you? No surprise I guess.

If Mark Whipple or Don Brown left UMass to go to Delaware (which is a better job than UMass) you guys would be upset that he took a lateral job in the same conference - and you'd be lying through your teeth if you say that you wouldn't.

So spare us the "family" talk and the stop complaining talk.

KAUMASS
May 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM

If Mark Whipple or Don Brown left UMass to go to Delaware (which is a better job than UMass) you guys would be upset that he took a lateral job in the same conference - and you'd be lying through your teeth if you say that you wouldn't.

Can you enlighten us to whyxcoachx xcoachx is Delaware a better job than UMass??xchinscratchx

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM

NU to UMass is not a lateral job xlolx Stop pretending like it is.

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Can you enlighten us to whyxcoachx xcoachx is Delaware a better job than UMass??xchinscratchx

UMass vs. UD all-time
26 games ... 4-22-0

UMass all-time W/L record ... 121 years, 1039 G, 497-491-51 .503

UD all-time W/L record ........ 118 years, 1057 G, 618-395-44 .605

Last time UMass had 20,000 for a home game ... Nov. 25, 1972 vs. Boston College.

Last time UD had 20,000 for a home game ... Nov 18, 2006 vs. Villanova (21,894 to be exact).

And don't tell me your stadium only holds 17,000 because you only had 5,388 for your playoff game vs. Lafayette last year. UD would sell out regardless.

'nuff said ... xrolleyesx UD is a better program.

UMass became consistently good when Whipple arrived and continued by Brown.

Let's not act like UMass has always been a powerhouse because it hasn't.

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
UMass vs. UD all-time
26 games ... 4-22-0

5-23

UMass all-time W/L record ... 121 years, 1039 G, 497-491-51 .503

523 504 51

UD all-time W/L record ........ 118 years, 1057 G, 618-395-44 .605

Last time UMass had 20,000 for a home game ... Nov. 25, 1972 vs. Boston College.

Last time UD had 20,000 for a home game ... Nov 18, 2006 vs. Villanova (21,894 to be exact).

And don't tell me your stadium only holds 17,000 because you only had 5,388 for your playoff game vs. Lafayette last year. UD would sell out regardless.

'nuff said ... xrolleyesx UD is a better program.

UMass became consistently good when Whipple arrived and continued by Brown.

Let's not act like UMass has always been a powerhouse because it hasn't.

If your going to post numbers at least get them correct:xnonox xnonox I could go on and on correcting your errorsxreadx

Take a look at the history of UMass Football and the records against the old Yankee Conference teams.

Look here for the correct answers before you look like a fool posting the wrong ones: http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/massachusetts/index.php

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
If your going to post numbers at least get them correct:xnonox xnonox I could go on and on correcting your errorsxreadx [/url]

Oh really, then write to your SID dept. for not updating the UMass website's all-time results page. xnonox

5-23 is still nothing write home about. And UD's still better all-time. :o

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Oh really, then write to your SID dept. for not updating the UMass website's all-time results page. xnonox

5-23 is still nothing write home about. And UD's still better all-time. :o

You posted the wrong numbers on this board--the SID didn't.xnodx

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
You posted the wrong numbers on this board--the SID didn't.xnodx

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Wow what a revelation! xeekx Thanks.

Excuse me for thinking your numbers from your athletics website were updated.

Still bad numbers regardless.

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Wow what a revelation! xeekx Thanks.

Excuse me for thinking your numbers from your athletics website were updated.

Still bad numbers regardless.

The only thing wrong is your reading comprehension--it says right on the bottom: 2004. A few games were played since then...xreadx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/yearbyyear.pdf

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
The only thing wrong is your reading comprehension--it says right on the bottom: 2004. A few games were played since then...xreadx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/yearbyyear.pdf

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

And the only thing wrong is that you can't comprehend that UD is better head-to-head than UMass and has a better all-time record.

dennisdent
May 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM
And the only thing wrong is that you can't comprehend that UD is better head-to-head than UMass and has a better all-time record.

Now that I agree withxbeerchugx

NU Hound29
May 8th, 2007, 09:47 PM
If you want to argue that UMass to NU is a step up, then UMass to UD or JMU would be a step up as well.

You guys would be beside yourselves if that happened.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 09:51 PM
If you want to argue that UMass to NU is a step up, then UMass to UD or JMU would be a step up as well.

You guys would be beside yourselves if that happened.

Now JMU is too?? xlolx xlolx xrotatehx

Stop trying to change the point. UMass is a step-up from NU and NU fans can't get over the fact Coach Brown wanted to further his career by leaving NU.

NU Hound29
May 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Now JMU is too?? xlolx xlolx xrotatehx

Stop trying to change the point. UMass is a step-up from NU and NU fans can't get over the fact Coach Brown wanted to further his career by leaving NU.

Oh I can agree that UMass is a step up (sorry Wiz) but that still is not an excuse for the way he left, but you (or some UMass fan said) that UDel would be a lateral move, and I disagree with that.

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Oh I can agree that UMass is a step up (sorry Wiz)

I never said it wasn't. It's a step up in terms of facilities, but it's still a lateral move in terms of the conference and the level of competition.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
it's still a lateral move in terms of the conference and the level of competition.

Really, I thought NU and UMass were in different conferences, thanks for clearing that up xrolleyesx

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Really, I thought NU and UMass were in different conferences, thanks for clearing that up xrolleyesx

Anything I can do to help a fellow conference member ... xazzx

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Oh I can agree that UMass is a step up (sorry Wiz) but that still is not an excuse for the way he left, but you (or some UMass fan said) that UDel would be a lateral move, and I disagree with that.

What reasons would somebody like Coach Brown want to move from UMass to UD? I can think of numerous reasons why he'd move from NU to UMass, but what about from UMass to UD.

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
What reasons would somebody like Coach Brown want to move from UMass to UD? I can think of numerous reasons why he'd move from NU to UMass, but what about from UMass to UD.

Let's see UD is a football school (the entire state loves UD football), has a rabid and loyal fan base who travel to road games, sellout their home games (and a waiting list for season tix) and no Red Sox or Pats to grab the media headlines.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Let's see UD is a football school (the entire state loves UD football), has a rabid and loyal fan base who travel to road games, sellout their home games (and a waiting list for season tix) and no Red Sox or Pats to grab the media headlines.

So you don't have any reasons?

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
So you don't have any reasons?

Yeah, no one cares about UMass football and knows who Don Brown is outside of Amherst.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, no one cares about UMass football and knows who Don Brown is outside of Amherst.

Really, NU fans constantly bitch about losing him.

GeeWiz
May 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Really, NU fans constantly bitch about losing him.

xdizzyx

Husky Alum
May 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM
It's wasn't THAT Benedict Brown left Boston for Amherst. As many have alluded to, it was HOW he left Boston for Amherst.

Coaches change jobs all the time, it's a fact of life in the FCS and for mid major basketball schools.

Had Brown been professional, and acted in a manner consistent with the terms of his contract that he neogotiated, no one at NU would have the venom towards him. It's the methods by which he pulled a Bob Irsay on NU and its players that upset those of us in Boston.

I've known Don Brown since he was at Yale. He's a serious, intense guy, and that was part of the reason that despite my intense reluctancy to consider going to Yale, I eventually considered going to college 5 minutes from home. It's easy to see why students would want to play for the guy.

However, that doesn't give him a free pass for the way he left Boston for Amherst.

umassfan
May 9th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I think it is time for UMassFan to put his two cents into this arguement.

Any NU fan who thinks JMU or Delaware is a step up needs to see a DR because they are crazy. When Brown left UMass for NU, UMass had just won the NC in 98. He got NU to the playoffs(something that has never happened before) So when he left NU, he reached their peak. UMass already had a NC and a better history in football. At that same time both JMU and Delaware had not won a I-AA championship. Therefore UMass was and still is the best job in the A10/CAA. He proved that by returning to chatty this past season and will continue to prove it by bringing them back again this season. Need I say more?

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Well, I'm not going to speak for all Umass fans, but if Don Brown left for UD , UNH, Holy Cross etc... I would be happy for the guy if that's where he wanted to go, teams lose coaching staff ALL THE TIME, I wouldn't still be whining about it three years later. And if you think Coach Brown going from NU to Umass was a "lateral" move, than your ignorance is pretty clear.xcoffeex

Col Hogan
May 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Let's see

Shai - Sunni hatred - Hundreds of Years Old
Civil War/ North vs South - about 170 years old
UMass - NU War of Words over Coach Brown's departure - couple of years old

WHICH BITTERNESS ENDS FIRST?xcoffeex

saint0917
May 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Let's see

Shai - Sunni hatred - Hundreds of Years Old
Civil War/ North vs South - about 170 years old
UMass - NU War of Words over Coach Brown's departure - couple of years old

WHICH BITTERNESS ENDS FIRST?xcoffeex

Sunni- To much hatred to let it go xmadx xmadx
The South- Not smart enough to let it go xeekx xeekx
NU- To immature to let it go xrotatehx xrotatehx

These three could last forever. xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx

GeeWiz
May 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Nice 3rd person reference ... xrolleyesx

Therefore UMass was and still is the best job in the A10/CAA.

xhomerx xlolx

Right ...

UncleSam
May 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Therefore UMass was and still is the best job in the A10/CAA. Need I say more?

Please don't, if you are going to continue to make nutty statements like the above.