PDA

View Full Version : Southland Prediction Thread

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm seeing the threads for the SoCon and Big South on this board...

Seeing the prognostications rearing their head on each of the fan boards -- seems McNeese fans think they could really make a run while fans from Texas State aren't too optimistic about their chances....

Let's get some SLC predictions on this board...

Teams to choose from and rank...in alphabetical order...

Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F Austin
Texas State

Last year, McNeese State won the SLC with a 5-1 conference record. Sam Houston State and SFA finished 4-2.

While I won't get into specifics with the major story lines (as I'm sure Down South can do that job), here are the major stories to follow...

New coaches at SFA, TXST, SELA, McNeese (removed interim tag) and UCA (atleast as it relates to full-time status in SLC).

Major transfers at Sam Houston State - Rhett Bomar from Oklahoma and Chris Brown from Texas.

Major explosion at McNeese - can you say Steven Whitehead?

Super Senior at Stephen F - See Danny Southall, reigning All-SLC quarterback selection.

UCA Maiden Voyage - Lost tons of talented seniors. How will be Bears fare in year one?

Sly Fox
May 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'll take a stab:

1. Sam
2. McNeese
3. UCA
4. Stephen F
5. Nicholls
6. Texas State
7. Northwestern St
8. SE Louisiana

Sam is primed for a big run this fall and I think UCA is going to surprise plenty of folks.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Sam is primed for a big run this fall and I think UCA is going to surprise plenty of folks.

Any reason why you think that?

SHSU has never won an outright championship in the SLC. McNeese has been a thorn in their side for years. This year's game is in Lake Charles...

UCA? They lost a very talented group of seniors from last year's squad. They have games in Huntsville (granted they won there last year) and Lake Charles. Think they can pull both of those off? Nacthitoches will be a tough trip as well...

patssle
May 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I predict Sam and McNeese will be co-champions...with Sam holding the tiebreaker. Yeah, I think we'll win in Lake Charles this year.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM
guys, i'm sorry...you'll have to forgive me. i don't see why people are saying mcneese is so good. maybe it's cuz we haven't lost to them in awhile, but yeah...i just don't see it.

so, as usual, the SLC will be up in the air...again. everyone beats up on each other so i expect the conf. champ to have 2 league losses.

my early favorites (in no particular order):

shs--is offense going to be enough to win the conference? they have bomar but still searching for good WRs and lookin for someone to replace terry at RB. defense seems to be improving (from what i've heard), but isn't anywhere near spectacular. special teams is still...special. return man is back though, i believe.

mcneese--ok, they have good athletes. the slc was down last year--was last year's team a fluke?

texas state--george is in year 2 as bobcat QB. RB position is loaded. like shs, txst. still need to find a consistent WR to replace the departed wasson, but the YOUNG receiving corps from last year is a year older and (maybe) a little wiser. defense should be stellar, but with a new (but improved) system being put in place, how great will the group be? still needs a consistent return man.

uca--already beat up on some slc folks last year. does year 2 see even more improvement?

nicholls--they ALWAYS surprise people. i mean, it's like people forget they run the freakin option. duh...

the others:

sela--damn it, sela. i've picked you guys the last two years to win the conference. maybe this will give you guys a chance to surprise me, lol.

sfa--runnels is gone along with their head coach. what do they have left?

nwst.--still rebuilding, but can win some games. offense still needs to be addressed.

what i expect to happen? 3 of the 5 "favorites" will dissappoint and 1 of the "others" will surprise. that's my top 3, but i'm not sure who the top 3 teams are specifically.

Sir William
May 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
1. Sam Houston State
2. McNeese State (at-large playoff bid)
3. Texas State
4. Nicholls State
5. UCA
6. Northwestern State
7. SELA
8. SFA

slycat
May 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
once again the slc is tough to predict. im sure my predictions will change as the season gets closer. i agree that mcneese was good last season but against a down year in the slc. shsu has bomar coming in but will he provide and does he have a rb and o-line to back him up? texas st has a great qb and a lot of rbs returning but what about wrs and oline? also they get the cal poly defense but can they run it well yet? and the new coach comes into play. uca loses a lot of their talent from last year, can they rebuild fast? sfa has a great qb but what else? also they have a new coaching staff. sela has a great rb but will he find support this year? nwst is still rebuilding will they suprise everyone this season? and what nicholls st team will we see?

this is why i think itll be tough to pick because every team is full of questions. that being said here is my list for now.

McNeese
SHSU
Texas St
NWST
Nicholls
UCA
SELA
SFA

i dont see any team getting an autobid this season from the slc. many teams play too many FBS or DII games to qualify. and those that have two FCS OCC games play tough teams. mcneese has the best chance if they dont win it outright.

patssle
May 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Ya'll are putting the Jacks at the bottom. As much as I hate them, they have a good QB and at our level, it's all about the QB (as proven time and time again with McCown, Long, and Nealy). That's why I'm putting SHSU first and with SFA having a good QB, I don't think they will be last.

slycat
May 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Ya'll are putting the Jacks at the bottom. As much as I hate them, they have a good QB and at our level, it's all about the QB (as proven time and time again with McCown, Long, and Nealy). That's why I'm putting SHSU first and with SFA having a good QB, I don't think they will be last.

when shsu had long they had great wrs and a good rb. when texas st had nealy they had a good rb and a great de. it takes more then just a good qb and thats why sfa is low on my list.

GeauxColonels
May 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'll take a stab at it too:

1] Sam Houston State - due to last year's finish and the addition of Bomar
2] McNeese State - primarily due to last year's performance
3] Nicholls State - QBs have had a year to mature in the system and we get Broderick Cole back
4] Northwestern State
5] Central Arkansas
6] Texas State
7] Southeastern Louisiana
8] Stephen F. Austin

Truly, it's always a toss-up. I feel very strongly about SHSU's team and I think the Colonels will be much improved over last year. Other than that....BIG TOSS UP!

JohnStOnge
May 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I won't make a prediction because I don't know much about the other teams. But I think McNeese is going to be significantly better next year than they were this year. Almost everybody on offense will be back, and I understand that they should be much stronger on the inside line of scrimmage on defense. That was their weakness last season.

Another thing is that I think they have a better head coach now and he's going to have had an off season to adjust things into his way of thinking. That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tommy Tate. I've just come to believe that Viator is better.

UCABEARS75
May 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
We lost a TON of talent last year. We probably won't finish in the top three, but I don't see us finishing in the bottom two either.

Watch out in '08 and '09 when we should be very talented and much more experienced than in '07.

I look forward to this season and making the trips to give us a better idea where our program is and where we are headed.

buckp
May 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
....Another thing is that I think they have a better head coach now and he's going to have had an off season to adjust things into his way of thinking. That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tommy Tate. I've just come to believe that Viator is better.

I have also grown to like Viator better. He seems to pick up on problems and make corrections faster. McNeese will be the team to beat in SLC....

RabidRabbit
May 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

To the Southland Conference!!!! You all have been great OOC teams for the Great West, and we appreciate that VERY MUCH!!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

However, the Great West match ups have been problematic for the SLC members, especially last year, and in looking over the SLC schedules, the only SLC/GWFC game where I expect the SLC team to be favored is McNeese @ SUU.

With that said, OOC, McNeese is the only one I see a chance for a winning record, so therefore, if someone gets an At-large bid it would be the Cowboys.

Like most years, this is going to be a challenge week in/week out in conference. Personally, I think that McNeese vs Sam Houston determines the auto-bid.

Conference projections
1. McNeese - 6-1, 8-3
2. Sam Houston - 5-2, 7-4
3. Tx. St. - 4-3, 5-4
4. Nichols - 4-3, 6-5
5. SFA - 3-4, 4-7
6. UCA - 3-4, 4-7
7. NW - 2-5, 3-8
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

McNeese's loss in conference will be on the road, probably to an "overlooked" team. Nichols may be the one.

SELA - Killer OOC puts injuries that don't recover from in conference.

UCA - Follows Northern Colo path of FCS "success". xoopsx xoopsx

SHSU - Losses to McNeese and Tx St likely. xwhistlex xwhistlex

Nichols - Either you're clicking on the option, or you're miserable on the option. xnonono2x xnonono2x

SFA - Road trips to the Dakota States' put two L's on plus new coach..... xsmhx xsmhx

NW - xreadx says you're in for a tough year of rebuilding.... xreadx

Tx St. - Should be rebuilt this year, but two GWFC games put their treadmarks on Bobcats. xnodx xnodx

patssle
May 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Personally, I think that McNeese vs Sam Houston determines the auto-bid.

I agree. With the exception that Sam wins at McNeese...a rarity :)

slycat
May 7th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I agree. With the exception that Sam wins at McNeese...a rarity :)

i doubt sam has a chance at an autobid. they play two sub DI foes and an FBS team. plus they have to beat NDSU away. that would mean sweeping the slc to get the 7 wins needed and that would lead to winning the slc. but i dont see them being able to sweep the slc. heck two losses in conference, which is very likely, and they would have to win at NDSU just to get it.

JoshUCA
May 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Conference projections
1. McNeese - 6-1, 8-3
3. Tx. St. - 4-3, 5-4
4. Nichols - 4-3, 6-5
5. SFA - 3-4, 4-7
6. UCA - 3-4, 4-7
7. NW - 2-5, 3-8
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

We'll see about that! I am not going to say this isn't going to be a "down" year, but I don't see it that bad and I don't see us being down for long!

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
i doubt sam has a chance at an autobid. they play two sub DI foes and an FBS team. plus they have to beat NDSU away. that would mean sweeping the slc to get the 7 wins needed and that would lead to winning the slc. but i dont see them being able to sweep the slc. heck two losses in conference, which is very likely, and they would have to win at NDSU just to get it.

Your talking about an at-large bid. OOC has nothing to do with an automatic bid...

Best chance for an at-large bid...do you remember TXST played two sub-Div I foes the year they were a #4 seed? TXST could've lost to SHSU that year and missed completely...similarily, SHSU will just be hard-pressed to win the NDSU game and go 6-1 in conference...9-2 will be tough to turn down if the two losses are to the SLC champ and FBS Oklahoma State...that'd be an amazing year for the Kats, tough...but it's possible for SHSU, just like it was for TXST...

GeauxColonels
May 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Your talking about an at-large bid. OOC has nothing to do with an automatic bid...

Best chance for an at-large bid...do you remember TXST played two sub-Div I foes the year they were a #4 seed? TXST could've lost to SHSU that year and missed completely...similarily, SHSU will just be hard-pressed to win the NDSU game and go 6-1 in conference...9-2 will be tough to turn down if the two losses are to the SLC champ and FBS Oklahoma State...that'd be an amazing year for the Kats, tough...but it's possible for SHSU, just like it was for TXST...
Right. You don't need 7 D-I wins to get the auto-bid. Nicholls State was the SLC auto-bid in 2005 with only 6 total wins (a 6-3 overall record with only 5 D-I wins; remember that 2 games were cancelled due to the 2 hurricanes).

slycat
May 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM

yeah i meant at large bid. i just thinkll be tough. we had sdsu at home that year and yall have ndsu on the road. tough stuff. i would like to see two slc teams in the playoffs though. even if one isnt texas st.

McNeese75
May 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

To the Southland Conference!!!! You all have been great OOC teams for the Great West, and we appreciate that VERY MUCH!!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

However, the Great West match ups have been problematic for the SLC members, especially last year, and in looking over the SLC schedules, the only SLC/GWFC game where I expect the SLC team to be favored is McNeese @ SUU.

With that said, OOC, McNeese is the only one I see a chance for a winning record, so therefore, if someone gets an At-large bid it would be the Cowboys.

Like most years, this is going to be a challenge week in/week out in conference. Personally, I think that McNeese vs Sam Houston determines the auto-bid.

Conference projections
1. McNeese - 6-1, 8-3
3. Tx. St. - 4-3, 5-4
4. Nichols - 4-3, 6-5
5. SFA - 3-4, 4-7
6. UCA - 3-4, 4-7
7. NW - 2-5, 3-8
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

McNeese's loss in conference will be on the road, probably to an "overlooked" team. Nichols may be the one.

Nichols - Either you're clicking on the option, or you're miserable on the option. xnonono2x xnonono2x

SFA - Road trips to the Dakota States' put two L's on plus new coach..... xsmhx xsmhx

Tx St. - Should be rebuilt this year, but two GWFC games put their treadmarks on Bobcats. xnodx xnodx

Keep counting on winning every SLC game Rabbit. You along with the Bison fans seem to think the past insures your success in the future. xeyebrowx

slycat
May 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM

Conference projections
1. McNeese - 6-1, 8-3
3. Tx. St. - 4-3, 5-4
4. Nichols - 4-3, 6-5
5. SFA - 3-4, 4-7
6. UCA - 3-4, 4-7
7. NW - 2-5, 3-8
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

i remember spankin yall in san marcos in 2005. :)
of course it should be a lot closer this year.

txstatebobcat
May 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
The whole conference will be much improved in 2007. Sam Houston will be the team to beat in my opinion followed by McNeese State. With that said neither of these two teams is head and shoulders above the rest of the teams. The only team that is truly rebuilding is UCA.
TxSt is a perfect example of a 2007 Southland team. We are as talented as any FCS team in the nation, it all depends on team chemistry and if the ball bounces our way.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
i remember spankin yall in san marcos in 2005. :)
of course it should be a lot closer this year.

Yes, and a lot has improved for the Jacks since that game. Schollies 63 rather than 45-48. 4 years vs. FCS teams rather than two. Play at Brookings rather than San Marcos. Home field definitely is an advantage. xpeacex xpeacex

It will be a much different game than 2005. BTW, Poly will be a great test to start the season for the Bobcats.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Keep counting on winning every SLC game Rabbit. You along with the Bison fans seem to think the past insures your success in the future. xeyebrowx

At least SLC will play the games. Many Big Sky teams bailed on playing GWFC at the GWFC sites.

All I can say, is that the Great West appears to have 4 teams poised for the top 25, and 1 Kamakazze team. Winning games on the GWFC home turf has been rough for our visitors. Especially tough up in Fargo. xnodx xnodx

GeauxLions94
May 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

OOC schedule is really not that much of a killer (definitely lighter than last yaer). Kansas will be our toughest OOC game by far with Tulane and New Mexico State considered "beatable."

If our QB play is improved and we can get our defense set with a whole batch of new starters, we should finish better than we did last year. xcoffeex

Seat16Demon
May 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Conference projections
1. McNeese - 6-1, 8-3
3. Tx. St. - 4-3, 5-4
4. Nichols - 4-3, 6-5
5. SFA - 3-4, 4-7
6. UCA - 3-4, 4-7
7. NW - 2-5, 3-8
8. SELA -2-5, 3-8

Based on the talent level seen in recruiting and spring game, this is a very low-end prediction. Try again rabbit!xnonox

BEAR
May 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
As an avid Bear fan I can honestly say that losing 21 seniors, getting an full recruiting class and having 80% of the team as either freshman or sophomores is going to hurt us. I've watched the practices, been to the scrimmages and can honestly say that if SFA plays like they did last year they should beat us. If SHSU plays like they did last year and has Bomar they should beat us. I can't comment on any other team because I haven't seen any of them...a total waste of time to even suggest a Win or loss verses those teams. If the SLC had a down year last year then UCA was the beneficiary of it. Now it's time to reload and build an SLC level program. Saying all that, I do believe that many SLC fans will be surprised by UCA again this year. If UCA plays SHSU to a 3 point loss, I believe that SHSU fans will give UCA a ton of respect again even though UCA loses the game. Same said for all the other SLC teams, games and fans. But I don't think UCA will end up in last..my prediction will be 4th or 5th. Only because UCA is the prototypical SLC school-based in the south playing kids against kids who probably played against each other in high school. UCA recruits from Texas and Louisiana mainly so the common fishing ground makes for common fish. NO matter the record, I'll always cheer for my Bears. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it. My xtwocentsx xxmasx

McTailGator
May 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM
McNeese
Sam
Nichols
NSU
TxSU
SFA
SELA
UCA

xconfusedx

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Based on the talent level seen in recruiting and spring game, this is a very low-end prediction. Try again rabbit!xnonox

NWST is always full of high expectations...I'd like some more insight into who we should look forward to seeing this year on the field for the Demons...

I'm interested to know more about this year's Purple Swarm defense, but even more intrigued to find out who we should expect on offense...

slycat
May 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Yes, and a lot has improved for the Jacks since that game. Schollies 63 rather than 45-48. 4 years vs. FCS teams rather than two. Play at Brookings rather than San Marcos. Home field definitely is an advantage. xpeacex xpeacex

It will be a much different game than 2005. BTW, Poly will be a great test to start the season for the Bobcats.

i expect a good game against yall this year and at this point expect sdsu to win. hope my prediction changes as i see the season unfold. i love OOC with the great west, always good teams to watch.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
the SLC is just too unpredictable...kinda weird when you compare it to the other conferences (i.e. the SoCon, with Furman, ASU, and Georgia Southern nearly always being at the top)

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
the SLC is just too unpredictable...kinda weird when you compare it to the other conferences (i.e. the SoCon, with Furman, ASU, and Georgia Southern nearly always being at the top)

That's exactly what was said...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/images/articles/85490_DOWNSOUTH.jpg

Down south, there’s a special brand of football. It comes from the Southland Conference. This conference encompasses schools from Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. In the seven seasons since 2000, the Southland has had multiple bids to the best four weeks in American college football on five different occasions. There’s not many other leagues that can claim the weekly war of attrition to see who will rise above the rest as the institution which gets the opportunity to proudly display a Southland Conference championship banner at their football stadium the following year. ...

Down South: Welcome to Down South(land)
Jason Plotkin, CSN Columnist
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85490[/QUOTE]

McTailGator
May 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM

So, you don't consider the fact that McNeese has won 4 of the last 6 SLC championships, and the fact that we have won 11 SLC Championships with 23 playoff apperances, including 2 NC games in the last 10 years and beating Georgia Southern from the SoCon 2 out of 3 times as being pretty consistant? xconfusedx

Hell, we're 2-2 vs Montana. xeyebrowx

McNeese's 11 SLC championships equal that of all the other SLC schools COMBINED! Northwestern St. is the closest to us with only 4. You guys have won it, ONCE when you shared the title with Nichols. xwhistlex

WHAT MORE DO WE HAVE TO DO TO BE CONSISTANT?

True we had a down year in 04 after losing 23 All conference players and 5 all-americans to graduation in the previous 2 years. Then we got hit by a hurricane and were forced out of our city for 40 days. Our facilities have yet to recover all the way.

Then we had a mid-season coaching issue and had to fire one and hire a new one in 06, but we still won the SLC. We did not loose much after 06 and we now EXPECT to dominate the conference this year (and next), much like we did in 2002 and 2003.

NOT CONSISTANT? xnonox

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
McTailGator...

Seems every year, someone else is stepping up. Even with McNeese's consistency near or at the top of the SLC, both SHSU and TXST have made semifinal runs in the last few years. Both those squads were picked second to last or last in the SLC preseason polls those years they did that.

Nicholls St came out of nowhere to win the SLC auto-bid in 2005. They were picked at the bottom of the barrel.

You'll see some more of this, next time you go Down South...

Lionsrking
May 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Then we had a mid-season coaching issue and had to fire one and hire a new one in 06, but we still won the SLC. We did not loose much after 06 and we now EXPECT to dominate the conference this year (and next), much like we did in 2002 and 2003.

McNeese won it last year by default almost. Everybody in the league had issues of some sort and no one had a dominant team. With all the coaching turnover, it may play out that way again but I don't see where you guys are anywhere near the level of a few years ago.

Spooney-Cat
May 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
McTailGator-

We'll just see how those Cowboys play the Cats again this year, but if I'm not mistaken, they are the last team we should be scared of in the SLC, with a combined score of 130-51 in last three years (L's) for you guys. By the way, two of those three consecutive wins were in LAKE CHARLES...

2006 27-17 Cats
2005 49-7 Cats
2004 54-27 Cats

GeauxColonels
May 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM
So, you don't consider the fact that McNeese has won 4 of the last 6 SLC championships, and the fact that we have won 11 SLC Championships with 23 playoff apperances, including 2 NC games in the last 10 years and beating Georgia Southern from the SoCon 2 out of 3 times as being pretty consistant? xconfusedx

McNeese's 11 SLC championships equal that of all the other SLC schools COMBINED! Northwestern St. is the closest to us with only 4. You guys have won it, ONCE when you shared the title with Nichols. xwhistlex

True we had a down year in 04 after losing 23 All conference players and 5 all-americans to graduation in the previous 2 years. Then we got hit by a hurricane and were forced out of our city for 40 days. Our facilities have yet to recover all the way.

NOT CONSISTANT? xnonox
There's no question that McNeese State has been the dominant program over the past decade or so....but can you please spell Nicholls right? Just a simple request. xthumbsupx

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM

NOT CONSISTANT? xnonox

*sigh* wow, calm down there cowboi. i think you missed the point of my reply and took it a lil too seriously yo. first off, i never called mcneese inconsistent. what i said was that the conference is pretty unpredictable and by season's end, most people are surprised by the result (maybe not who the champion is, but maybe who #2 and #3 are). i think terror got what i meant--we seem to have a different team win the SLC or go to the playoffs every year (at least lately). that's all i'm trying to say. in the socon, you can almost always count on the big 3. in the SLC, you usually have to wait till the last week for not only the SLC champion, but also see if someone else is going to get an at large. the SLC is getting stronger--that was my main point. so don't blow it up into some big mcneese bash fest cuz that wasn't my intention.

and who cares really? what have you done lately? you barely won last year on a down year for the whole conference...congrats. but in the games i've seen mcneese in personally (last 4 years), i've not been impressed. again, just my opinion. another of my bobcat brethren posted the scores of the last 3 meetings--that's most of what i've got to go off of personally. i guess you could technically argue that as a basis for consistency. during my time at texas state, you guys have been to the playoffs just as much as we have. now, i'm not going to bow down and kiss your ass just because you did stuff even before i've heard of a mcneese state university because all that really matters is what you've done lately. tradition doesn't win you games anymore--just ask georgia southern. if mcneese doesn't win another conference title in the next 30years, are you still going to harp about how great you guys are? (though, i realize how pretty much unrealistic that is).

and as far as the excuses, i feel you on the hurricane thing. it's gotta be hard. as far as the rest, they're simply excuses. each team has things they must overcome.

patssle
May 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
you barely won last year on a down year for the whole conference

I like to stress barely. If we hadn't started an injured QB when our 3rd stringer was doing a great job, that game may of ended up much differently.

The same game DD Terry racked up 266 yards averaging almost 7 yards a carry.

McNeese75
May 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I like to stress barely. If we hadn't started an injured QB when our 3rd stringer was doing a great job, that game may of ended up much differently.

The same game DD Terry racked up 266 yards averaging almost 7 yards a carry.

xrolleyesx

woulda should coulda. Your coach made the decision as far as who played QB and obviously everyone played armchair QB to second guess him after the loss.

Six turnovers against Tx State in our house pretty much handed that game to them so Cats don't get all excited like you did all that much to win that game xnonox

I expect this year's game in SM to be very competitive.

Bomar is not going to come to LC and just walk out with a win no matter how much the Kat fans are bowing down and praising him xnonox

beerkat
May 12th, 2007, 02:25 AM
everyone played armchair QB to second guess him after the loss

it wasn't after the loss, people were second guessing the decision as soon as #10 went out on the field, he is god-awful and all the bearkat faithful know it

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
xrolleyesx

woulda should coulda. Your coach made the decision as far as who played QB and obviously everyone played armchair QB to second guess him after the loss.

Six turnovers against Tx State in our house pretty much handed that game to them so Cats don't get all excited like you did all that much to win that game xnonox

I expect this year's game in SM to be very competitive.

Bomar is not going to come to LC and just walk out with a win no matter how much the Kat fans are bowing down and praising him xnonox

good thing our defense had nothing to do with it. so, what about the other two years? i thought you guys were above making excuses...

but, i do agree with u on bomar--folks are expecting the rest of the conference to just bow down and give them a win just cuz they have a transfer QB. ain't gonna happen.

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
but, i do agree with u on bomar--folks are expecting the rest of the conference to just bow down and give them a win just cuz they have a transfer QB. ain't gonna happen.

Who is expecting that? Nothing was easy for any other transfer QB and more so than Long, McCown or Chalpouka, there are serious questions about the offense. The line is solid and we have an All-American candidate at TE, but who will step up amongst the WRs and can any RB replace DD Terry?

McNeese75
May 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
good thing our defense had nothing to do with it. so, what about the other two years? i thought you guys were above making excuses...

No excuses here. Tx State won the game but those turnovers were more a product of miscues on the Cowboys part than a dominent defense. And why look back only 3 years? Lets look back 20 xnodx . Actually, that is all history and does not mean squat for 2007 although I think your fans pretty much just assume you will beat us in SM this year. (based on the predictions on your fan forum). I have no problems with those assumptions because I suspect this year's game will not be anything like last year. The main Cat offensive threat that scored two TD's last year is gone (he scored more points than the final point differential). Where as McNeese has lost ...... uhhh..... absolutly nothing on offense. I think our defense is going to be more balanced up front this year and with the speed coming from both sides, your big (and somewhat slow) QB is going to be under more pressure.

But, it is only May so this is all speculation and sabre rattling isn't it :D (we have nothing better to do)

McNeese75
May 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Who is expecting that? Nothing was easy for any other transfer QB and more so than Long, McCown or Chalpouka, there are serious questions about the offense. The line is solid and we have an All-American candidate at TE, but who will step up amongst the WRs and can any RB replace DD Terry?

I seriously doubt you are going to replace DD Terry. He was special and those type of RB's just do not show up that often in this conference. But as is usually an issue, he just did not have the suppporting cast to carry the day.

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I seriously doubt you are going to replace DD Terry. He was special and those type of RB's just do not show up that often in this conference. But as is usually an issue, he just did not have the suppporting cast to carry the day.

Redshirt freshman TyMagic Robinson could be that back, just not this year. He's an explosive runner, who can do what DD Terry did once he gets past that first group of defenders...we'll see how he does in another year or two...

patssle
May 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM

some of you guys are doing the same thing with your QB. In fact, a couple have said he is as good as Bomar.

McNeese75
May 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
some of you guys are doing the same thing with your QB. In fact, a couple have said he is as good as Bomar.

If you are referring to our QB's I do not remember seeing any posts indicating they will be the main reason for a possible SLC championship (or national championship like I have seen on your forum, etc). I have seen posts from some McNeese fans saying they would prefer to keep what we have for our situation.

The biggest difference here is Mcneese historically has been hesitant to bring in too many tranfers and especially at QB. The effect on team chemistry and team building process can often bite you on the butt. SHSU it seems is always looking for tranfers.

Different school, different strategy but we are happy with our results.

patssle
May 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I was referring to TSUSM

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM

who is saying that?! look no further than the "HANG 60" movement you guys have got goin on. lol.

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4835

just as an aside, i just graduated today (exciting, i know) and chase wasson was a few rows behind me. kinda...odd, but fun.

McNeese75
May 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM
who is saying that?! look no further than the "HANG 60" movement you guys have got goin on. lol.

just as an aside, i just graduated today (exciting, i know) and chase wasson was a few rows behind me. kinda...odd, but fun.

xthumbsupx Congrats and best of luck with your future!!!! (and to Chase as well as long as he is not in maroon and gold :D )

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM

That's just a rallying cry. I've never seen a Bearkat squad score more than 52 (against a Div I squad -- as I've seen 70 dropped on Bacone) since I began watching the Kats...

There's definitely no one on our board asking when we'll have our first Heisman winner... xnonox

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12514

GeauxColonels
May 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
They dropped 63 on Nicholls State back when I was in the marching band...but that was before we put in the triple-option.

slycat
May 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM

did you graduate at 9:30? i graduated at 2:00 and do not recall chase graduating. then agian i wasnt really listining to all the names called.

TXST_CAT
May 13th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Too many posters seam to be writing off the Bobcats. I know there have been several changes but there is way too much tallent on this team to just write off. The Bobcats are going to contend for a Championship this year and this is why. Coach Wright knows this team, he knows the players, and he knows what kept TXST out of the playoffs last year. It was lack of discipline and an ineffective running game, both of which Coach Wright has worked hard to fix. We were trying to run a zone read running game and B George was no Nealy. But George does have a cannon and height and will show he can pick apart the defense in the pocket. Our running game is going to be unike any that the SLC has seen and will spread the ball between multiple running backs that, in my opinion, are our greatest threat. Couple that with a stingy defense simmilar to the Swarm that Cal Poly ran and you have a team that has all the tools to lead the conference. xnodx

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM
TXST_CAT,

I think each school in the SLC has the chance to compete for the title. At this point, I'd put the 'Cats at 3rd in the preseason poll behind McN and SHSU. There's no question the Cats can be competitive, especially since they have a pretty easy SLC road schedule (UCA, Nich and NWST) by all accounts. The following year will be brutal with trips to always tough Nacogdoches in addition to SHSU and Lake Chuck.

We'll know more about the Cats if they can continue their good times against McN, the first week of the SLC slate...

TXST_CAT
May 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM
TXST_CAT,

I think each school in the SLC has the chance to compete for the title. At this point, I'd put the 'Cats at 3rd in the preseason poll behind McN and SHSU. There's no question the Cats can be competitive, especially since they have a pretty easy SLC road schedule (UCA, Nich and NWST) by all accounts. The following year will be brutal with trips to always tough Nacogdoches in addition to SHSU and Lake Chuck.

We'll know more about the Cats if they can continue their good times against McN, the first week of the SLC slate...

I agree this conference is tough but I see last year as a fluke for the Bobcats. We had a vanilla offense and I don't see that happening again this year. Coach Wright is very competitive and will not be satisfied with any thing less than a conference title and we have the tallent to deliver.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
did you graduate at 9:30? i graduated at 2:00 and do not recall chase graduating. then agian i wasnt really listining to all the names called.

nah, i was in the 9:30 graduation. it was way too early...xlolx but, although i didn't really pay attention to much during the ceremony (cuz i've been to just about every one since last fall and the skeleton of the ceremony is always the exact same), i heard chase's name and cheered for him. hope he does well in the future and makes all of us Bobcats proud.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
TXST_CAT,

easy road schedule!? haha, i don't think there's such a thing in the SLC, especially since we RARELY win at both Nicholls and NWST (haven't won there since 1990, right?).

BEAR
May 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM
TXST_CAT,

This year, maybe UCA. But then again we were overlooked last year as a lowly division II squad according to SHSU posters on their board. You will probably win this year xwhistlex ..maybe. But year after year, this conference will truly define parity. Gauranteed. xthumbsupx

slycat
May 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
This year, maybe UCA. But then again we were overlooked last year as a lowly division II squad according to SHSU posters on their board. You will probably win this year xwhistlex ..maybe. But year after year, this conference will truly define parity. Gauranteed. xthumbsupx

i think this will be a tough year for UCA just because they are rebuilding but i expect them to contend for the top in the coming years.

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM

You didn't hear it from this Kat and any Kat that felt that way should recall recent losses by SHSU to sub-Div I teams (Tarleton State, coached by current HC Todd Whitten a few years ago).

I think UCA is down this year, but will be strong in the future. Lots of young cubs this year for the Bears. They are going to surprise someone on the road more than likely and get some SLC wins in Conway, but they are going to be a downright beast in the future...

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
easy road schedule!? haha, i don't think there's such a thing in the SLC, especially since we RARELY win at both Nicholls and NWST (haven't won there since 1990, right?).

There is no such thing as an easy schedule, but for Texas State to have both in-state foes (SFA and SHSU) at home plus McNeese St in all their glory coming to San Marcos, that's not too bad...

I'm a bit upset with how the new SLC schedule falls. SHSU and TXST either play both Texas schools on the road or at home each year. SFA gets one home, one away. That would've been better as each of those schools get good crowds when they play the other...

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
There is no such thing as an easy schedule, but for Texas State to have both in-state foes (SFA and SHSU) at home plus McNeese St in all their glory coming to San Marcos, that's not too bad...

I'm a bit upset with how the new SLC schedule falls. SHSU and TXST either play both Texas schools on the road or at home each year. SFA gets one home, one away. That would've been better as each of those schools get good crowds when they play the other...

totally agree with you there, though i won't complain this year, lol. it would be like a small, round-robin Texas SLC thing. we should have a trophy!

oh gawd, i've gone off on a tangent...

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
totally agree with you there, though i won't complain this year, lol. it would be like a small, round-robin Texas SLC thing. we should have a trophy!

SHSU has had in past releases the 'SLC Texas Championship'...which they've done for the last Texas game of the season. Too bad I can't find that release...SHSU has been keeping track of it at the very least...

McTailGator
May 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
McNeese won it last year by default almost. Everybody in the league had issues of some sort and no one had a dominant team. With all the coaching turnover, it may play out that way again but I don't see where you guys are anywhere near the level of a few years ago.

You don't see it, but I promise you, this team will be BETTER then our 2002 team.

WHY, BETTER at the QB position, Better on the O-Line, Deeper at RB, And a stable of Wide Recievers and TE's that will be begging for the ball. 2 of those WR's are legit 4.25 speed guy's.

AND our Defense will be putting in a new scheme in addition to our traditional 4-2-5 base D, that will give O's some real problems.

McTailGator
May 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
McTailGator...

Seems every year, someone else is stepping up. Even with McNeese's consistency near or at the top of the SLC, both SHSU and TXST have made semifinal runs in the last few years. Both those squads were picked second to last or last in the SLC preseason polls those years they did that.

Nicholls St came out of nowhere to win the SLC auto-bid in 2005. They were picked at the bottom of the barrel.

You'll see some more of this, next time you go Down South...

Let me just say this about your 04 and 05 teams. SAM and TxSU.

Had McNeese had their 01, 02, or 03 teams, those 04 and 05 teams, would have been sitting at home watching us in the playoffs AGAIN.

And this 07 team, will be every bit as good as our 02 team, ONLY better coached.

McTailGator
May 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
McTailGator-

We'll just see how those Cowboys play the Cats again this year, but if I'm not mistaken, they are the last team we should be scared of in the SLC, with a combined score of 130-51 in last three years (L's) for you guys. By the way, two of those three consecutive wins were in LAKE CHARLES...

2006 27-17 Cats
2005 49-7 Cats
2004 54-27 Cats

xnonox

Ever notice how good the rest of the conference is, when MCNEESE is in a down turn????????

FOLKS, admit it, McNEESE is BACK, so go a head an get used to seeing us run the tables again for the next 3 years or so.

WE ARE THE STANDARD xwhistlex

McTailGator
May 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
There's no question that McNeese State has been the dominant program over the past decade or so....but can you please spell Nicholls right? Just a simple request. xthumbsupx

Your right...

NICKLES. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
May 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
*sigh* wow, calm down there cowboi. i think you missed the point of my reply and took it a lil too seriously yo. first off, i never called mcneese inconsistent. what i said was that the conference is pretty unpredictable and by season's end, most people are surprised by the result (maybe not who the champion is, but maybe who #2 and #3 are). i think terror got what i meant--we seem to have a different team win the SLC or go to the playoffs every year (at least lately). that's all i'm trying to say. in the socon, you can almost always count on the big 3. in the SLC, you usually have to wait till the last week for not only the SLC champion, but also see if someone else is going to get an at large. the SLC is getting stronger--that was my main point. so don't blow it up into some big mcneese bash fest cuz that wasn't my intention.

and who cares really? what have you done lately? you barely won last year on a down year for the whole conference...congrats. but in the games i've seen mcneese in personally (last 4 years), i've not been impressed. again, just my opinion. another of my bobcat brethren posted the scores of the last 3 meetings--that's most of what i've got to go off of personally. i guess you could technically argue that as a basis for consistency. during my time at texas state, you guys have been to the playoffs just as much as we have. now, i'm not going to bow down and kiss your ass just because you did stuff even before i've heard of a mcneese state university because all that really matters is what you've done lately. tradition doesn't win you games anymore--just ask georgia southern. if mcneese doesn't win another conference title in the next 30years, are you still going to harp about how great you guys are? (though, i realize how pretty much unrealistic that is).

and as far as the excuses, i feel you on the hurricane thing. it's gotta be hard. as far as the rest, they're simply excuses. each team has things they must overcome.

YOUR RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING...

THE CONFERENCE IS ALWAYS UNPREDICTABLE WHEN McNEESE HAS A DOWN YEAR (OR 2)...

OTHER THAN THAT, MOST SHOULD ALWAYS PREDICT THAT WE WILL BE ON TOP.

THIS IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER OF SEVERAL YEARS OF MCNEESE DOMINANCE, SO GET USED TO IT. xwhistlex

TXST_CAT
May 13th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Let me just say this about your 04 and 05 teams. SAM and TxSU.

Had McNeese had their 01, 02, or 03 teams, those 04 and 05 teams, would have been sitting at home watching us in the playoffs AGAIN.

And this 07 team, will be every bit as good as our 02 team, ONLY better coached.

You seem to think McNeese had a few down years. That's far from the case. The teams in the SLC have greatly improved in size, speed, and tallent . TXST is a prime example of that. The TXST teams of the past were DIV II recruits playing DivI ball. Not any more. TXST has learned it can recruit like a mid major and the tallent on the team proves it. TXST was a sleeping giant and it has awaken. You're right in thinking there is going to be a dominant team that will reign supreme the next few years. Only it will be a TEXAS team and its players will represent the STATE! TEXAS STATE that is! xbowx xnodx

NSUDemon98
May 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
YOUR RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING...

THE CONFERENCE IS ALWAYS UNPREDICTABLE WHEN McNEESE HAS A DOWN YEAR (OR 2)...

OTHER THAN THAT, MOST SHOULD ALWAYS PREDICT THAT WE WILL BE ON TOP.

THIS IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER OF SEVERAL YEARS OF MCNEESE DOMINANCE, SO GET USED TO IT. xwhistlex

You are so far over the top it isn't even funny...

NSUDemon98
May 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM
xnonox

Ever notice how good the rest of the conference is, when MCNEESE is in a down turn????????

FOLKS, admit it, McNEESE is BACK, so go a head an get used to seeing us run the tables again for the next 3 years or so.

WE ARE THE STANDARD xwhistlex

Last year, weren't you the same guy saying that McNeese wouldn't lose another SLC conference game for the next 3 years?

McNeese75
May 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You seem to think McNeese had a few down years. That's far from the case. The teams in the SLC have greatly improved in size, speed, and tallent . TXST is a prime example of that. The TXST teams of the past were DIV II recruits playing DivI ball. Not any more. TXST has learned it can recruit like a mid major and the tallent on the team proves it. TXST was a sleeping giant and it has awaken. You're right in thinking there is going to be a dominant team that will reign supreme the next few years. Only it will be a TEXAS team and its players will represent the STATE! TEXAS STATE that is! xbowx xnodx

xlolx xcoffeex

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hey guys...

Lamar's mens basketball team is going to win the national title! :)

McTailGator
May 14th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Oh I agree that SHSU was a One year wonder in 04 and their overall product has improved a little. Texas state improved the most along with Nick.

NSU has been rather disapointing for some reason (can't figure them out because they are talented).

BUT, neither Sam or TxSU would have had a shot vs McNeese in 02 or 03, and that is pretty much a fact. We where too talented although vanilla.

This years team will have all the talent and more at WO and QB. And our D will be MUCH deeper and greatly improved, and down right tricky with some new and unseen wrinkles.

BUT, as you said, the SLC took a talent dive after Troy left and SFA fired Pierce. That was dumb on their point. Pierce always had a top 10 team, his problem was, that McNeese was always a Top 5 team. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
May 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You are so far over the top it isn't even funny...

Now David, you know the truth. (;

When did NSU, TxSU, and Sam win the SLC over the last 15 years?

In years in which McNeese had losing seasons, or lost ONE conference game only to advance farther in the playoffs then the SLC champion.

FACTS SUCK sometimes.xpeacex

McTailGator
May 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Last year, weren't you the same guy saying that McNeese wouldn't lose another SLC conference game for the next 3 years?

Your right, it was me.

I didn't count on 5 turn overs vs TxSU to give them that game. I knew the rest of the SLC would suck. Everyone did. It's jus the occasional One year wonders who have a hard time with it.

But looking back, 06 was just like our 01 year, we won the SLC but lost one game. 07 and 08 will be like 02 and 03 for us. We lost ZERO SLC games in those years.

No one in the SLC can claim that type of dominance.

patssle
May 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Oh I agree that SHSU was a One year wonder in 04 and their overall product has improved a little. Texas state improved the most along

The most? They had one winning season, and thats it. SHSU won in '04 and was very close in '06. I'd say we have been more successful as of late.

McTailGator
May 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hey guys...

Lamar's mens basketball team is going to win the national title! :)

You know TT, Lamar brings back football in the SLC in 2011 or 12. They just might win an SLC football title before your KATS ever do again. xlolx

McTailGator
May 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
The most? They had one winning season, and thats it. SHSU won in '04 and was very close in '06. I'd say we have been more successful as of late.

Sorry, but they have had much better depth and an overall team talent since 04. xnonox

You guy's were one and done after 04. Hell WE almost beat you in Huntsville that year and we only won 4 games in 04.

TxSU built their team on Defense.xthumbsupx Sam relies on too many Transfers at the QB position to make lenthy runs.xnonono2x

Even your coach admits that and is trying to RS some freshemen. RS classes are the KEY. Ask your coach, he's stated that publically he knows he needs to build from the bottom.

TXST_CAT
May 15th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Sorry, but they have had much better depth and an overall team talent since 04. xnonox

You guy's were one and done after 04. Hell WE almost beat you in Huntsville that year and we only won 4 games in 04.

TxSU built their team on Defense.xthumbsupx Sam relies on too many Transfers at the QB position to make lenthy runs.xnonono2x

Even your coach admits that and is trying to RS some freshemen. RS classes are the KEY. Ask your coach, he's stated that publically he knows he needs to build from the bottom.

And now we have a coach who just flat out wants to win. His goal is to score on every possetion. None of this conservative BS. He is going to play to win not this play not to lose crap. This will be our greatest season yet. xnodx

TXST_CAT
May 15th, 2007, 12:04 AM
xlolx xcoffeex

Think what you want but TXST has closed the tallent gap and the last few years owned McNeese. xpeacex

slycat
May 15th, 2007, 01:17 AM

yet we still beat you last year so i guess we were better.

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
You know TT, Lamar brings back football in the SLC in 2011 or 12. They just might win an SLC football title before your KATS ever do again. xlolx

Lamar wasn't that great a football institution prior to having it cut loose. Are we sure they'll be that great? I'd be glad if they came in and was a solid program, but until we see otherwise, regardless of the talent they would bring in, we don't know...sounds like I'm talking about their nationally ranked recruiting classes for basketball...

NSUDemon98
May 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM

In years in which McNeese had losing seasons, or lost ONE conference game only to advance farther in the playoffs then the SLC champion.

I rather enjoy facts...but sometimes they do get old when you hear/read them 20 times a day.

McNeese75
May 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
xnodx
Think what you want but TXST has closed the tallent gap and the last few years owned McNeese. xpeacex

What is this "tallent" you keep talking about???? :D (sorry, I could not help myself)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. With the resources your school has along with the recruiting base available, the Bobcats SHOULD be running over everyone in the football conference every year. BUT, it has not happened in the past with any consistency and I do not see it happening now. I believe Tx State will bolt from the FCS before they ever establish a history of domination in football.

Regarding the comment about the new coach just flat wanting to win now xrolleyesx . We have a whole staff of coaches like that.

Now you can throw out the three wins in a row card at us :D , and I will again say, I think we will agree to take it on the chin from you every year as long as the season ends as it did last year and the Cowboys are wearing the ring xnodx

patssle
May 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM
the resources your school has along with the recruiting base available, the Bobcats SHOULD be running over everyone in the football conference every year

Not just football, but EVERY sport. Their budget is over $10 million, Sam's is $6 million and we just might win a 3rd commish cup in a row.

I think DHKAT on KatFans has dubbed them Underachievers University.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Not just football, but EVERY sport. Their budget is over $10 million, Sam's is $6 million and we just might win a 3rd commish cup in a row.

I think DHKAT on KatFans has dubbed them Underachievers University.

xdeadhorsex

3 Commish Cups isn't bad, but how many do we have? I really don't know, but I do know it's more than 3. But I do agree to some degree. If athletics results had anything to do with $$$, we should win. But, it doesn't. Just look at Ohio State, who spent HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars just to lose to Florida in both F'Ball and Basketball...

McNeese75
May 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM
xdeadhorsex

3 Commish Cups isn't bad, but how many do we have? I really don't know, but I do know it's more than 3. But I do agree to some degree. If athletics results had anything to do with $$$, we should win. But, it doesn't. Just look at Ohio State, who spent HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars just to lose to Florida in both F'Ball and Basketball...

I agree money does not assure success, but Boy would I like to see what McNeese could do with that Tx State budget xnodx

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM

SHSU was the first school in SLC history to win back to back Commish Cups. If they take care of the Jacks in baseball this week, they'll be the first school to win back to back to back Commish Cups...

A few years ago, many said it would never happen. SHSU afterall, had only won one All-Mens Trophy and was never really a contender. Womens tennis turned it around and our T&F programs, which account for a great deal of points came up big and it seemed every year, someone else stepped up. Now, if SHSU can get womens' sports on track (namely VB, Soc and WBB)...we could really be taking this thing by storm. UTSA and Lamar adding soccer this year and next year, respectively, is going to make it tougher...

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM
SHSU was the first school in SLC history to win back to back Commish Cups. If they take care of the Jacks in baseball this week, they'll be the first school to win back to back to back Commish Cups...

A few years ago, many said it would never happen. SHSU afterall, had only won one All-Mens Trophy and was never really a contender. Womens tennis turned it around and our T&F programs, which account for a great deal of points came up big and it seemed every year, someone else stepped up. Now, if SHSU can get womens' sports on track (namely VB, Soc and WBB)...we could really be taking this thing by storm. UTSA and Lamar adding soccer this year and next year, respectively, is going to make it tougher...

well, congrats on maybe winning the C-Cup. you guys are starting to catch up with us in with regard to how many C-Cups we have. if it weren't for our strong women's program (7th consecutive all-sports trophy), i think we'd be in deep doo-doo!xnodx

TXST_CAT
May 16th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Don't get to excited. As I said a sleeping giant has awaken and yes it is taking time for our AD to get reorganized but I'm one of the few who feel the AD might actualy be accomplishing something, although he is a bit tight with the dollars.
I think Davalos the New BB coach and Brad Wright are both going to turn the heat up with wins and the Baseball team is moving back in the right direction.
When a program like ours has been ignored for as long as it has there will be growing pains. But make no mistake the AD is making good hires by bringing in coaches with TXST ties like Bailiff who realy care about the direction of our program.

TXST_CAT
May 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
xdeadhorsex

Especialy when the money is tied up and the AD can't touch it. This is one of the reasons the New Look Bobcat Club was created. It will allow the AD to have more flexability when it comes to spending. But that is for another thread.

TXST_CAT
May 16th, 2007, 12:23 AM
xnodx

What is this "tallent" you keep talking about???? :D (sorry, I could not help myself)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. With the resources your school has along with the recruiting base available, the Bobcats SHOULD be running over everyone in the football conference every year. BUT, it has not happened in the past with any consistency and I do not see it happening now. I believe Tx State will bolt from the FCS before they ever establish a history of domination in football.

Regarding the comment about the new coach just flat wanting to win now xrolleyesx . We have a whole staff of coaches like that.

Now you can throw out the three wins in a row card at us :D , and I will again say, I think we will agree to take it on the chin from you every year as long as the season ends as it did last year and the Cowboys are wearing the ring xnodx

As I stated and your partner afirmed, our talent s improving our coaching is also. The demand is now there and although many wish for a move out of FCS it will not happen in the next five years. Mark my words in the next five years TXST will have at least one NC and two Conference Titles. I predicted the '05 run we had and expect this year to be better. xnodx

TheRiver
May 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
The heat down south makes this hard to put one team over the other. You can't tell who will win till the game is played but MSU has a history that stands apart for the rest of the SLC. But that is history, we will see if it can repeat its self, it is getting harder and harder each year.

Up and coming programs.

SH-football is growing fast but the grow spirt will end in 2 years and it will be as big as it is going to get for the next 15.

The Demons-are chugging along and I see them as a very strong team in the future but not this year.

TXST-Is Growing in ideas, big ideas; but can the become reality? The program was on the fast track when Bailiff was Coach but, If Wright can keep the recruting class like they have been the last 3 years then you will see TXST take the rains of the SLC. If they stay, or there dreams will sink.

The rest of the Football teams are where they have always been, able to blacken anyones eye any day of the week, but not able to make a name for them self as a prize fighter.

So SLC very unstable right now.

McNeese75
May 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
As I stated and your partner afirmed, our talent s improving our coaching is also. The demand is now there and although many wish for a move out of FCS it will not happen in the next five years. Mark my words in the next five years TXST will have at least one NC and two Conference Titles. I predicted the '05 run we had and expect this year to be better. xnodx

Got some money you want to put on those predictions????? :D

Isn't there some saying about a fool and his money???? xlolx

BEAR
May 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
You SLC foes just keep on enjoying your day in the sun. It won't be long before the BEAR comes out of hibernation and visits your campsites :D ....looking for that commisioners cup....xlolx

TXST_CAT
May 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
You SLC foes just keep on enjoying your day in the sun. It won't be long before the BEAR comes out of hibernation and visits your campsites :D ....looking for that commisioners cup....xlolx

I will say this UCA like SELA will be dangerous day one.

McNeese75
May 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I will say this UCA like SELA will be dangerous day one.

SELA was not dangerous on day one (but they damn sure were the second year :D )

TXST_CAT
May 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM

They seem to give us a good game year in and out.

HPCAT
May 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM

xnonono2x TEXAS STATE won SLC Commish Cups in 2004 and 2005 xnonono2x

TXST has 4 out of the last 7, UTA has 3, SHS has 2, and NSU won the first one.

IMHO, when the SLC changed the point allocation system is when more SLC schools entered the picture. Now minor sports account for as many points as major ones, instead of the major sports getting twice as many points.

I am curious as to how other conferences calculate their cup winner, if they have one.

slycat
May 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM

IMHO, when the SLC changed the point allocation system is when more SLC schools entered the picture. Now minor sports account for as many points as major ones, instead of the major sports getting twice as many points.

I am curious as to how other conferences calculate their cup winner, if they have one.

i think we tied with shsu in 2005 and were co champs.

HPCAT
May 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
i think we tied with shsu in 2005 and were co champs.

I know that, we still have a cup in the display case, don't we, as does SHS, of course, that is why Terror made his statement.

The only tie in SLC history, expect for maybe this year.

slycat
May 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I know that, we still have a cup in the display case, don't we, as does SHS, of course, that is why Terror made his statement.

The only tie in SLC history, expect for maybe this year.

golf kills us in points. tennis doesnt help either.

GeauxLions94
May 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM

... and parts of the third xwhistlex

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2007, 02:46 PM

The part of the calculation that I don't agree with is the fact that NSU doesn't offer golf for women or men and we are essentially penalized for it. The best way to relate would be back in grade school when someone gets a zero for their homework...except in this case NSU recieves a zero in golf class when we don't even have it on our class schedule. Instead of dividing the point total by sports played. xrulesx

I just don't understand how that accurately measures the success of a athletic dept....

Also, you can suck in football, basketball, baseball, etc. but if you are in the Top 3 in Track & Field you are automatically going to be a contender.(ex. in 2005 NSU won the SLC in Football, Mens Basketball and Baseball but was barely even middle of the pack for the Comm.Cup). I don't know a whole lot of schools who wouldn't be happy with winning those 3...much less in the same season.

slycat
May 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
The part of the calculation that I don't agree with is the fact that NSU doesn't offer golf for women or men and we are essentially penalized for it. The best way to relate would be back in grade school when someone gets a zero for their homework...except in this case NSU recieves a zero in golf class when we don't even have it on our class schedule. Instead of dividing the point total by sports played. xrulesx

I just don't understand how that accurately measures the success of a athletic dept....

Also, you can suck in football, basketball, baseball, etc. but if you are in the Top 3 in Track & Field you are automatically going to be a contender.(ex. in 2005 NSU won the SLC in Football, Mens Basketball and Baseball but was barely even middle of the pack for the Comm.Cup). I don't know a whole lot of schools who wouldn't be happy with winning those 3...much less in the same season.

exactly. since indoor and outdoor count seperately its like getting double points. i know there is a difference but if your good at one youll contend in the other.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hey now guys...

The Commish Cup has rules and all of our institutions play by them. Quite a few schools don't get points in sports that others have (see mens' tennis, the golfs, etc).

Lamar would've won the Commish Cup this year (possibly) if they had soccer and/or softball.

McNeese75
May 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
... and parts of the third xwhistlex

:D I was trying to forget thank you very much xlolx

Seat16Demon
May 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I agree!
xbowx xbowx xbowx

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
This........

I'll take a stab at it too:

1] Sam Houston State - due to last year's finish and the addition of Bomar
2] McNeese State - primarily due to last year's performance
3] Nicholls State - QBs have had a year to mature in the system and we get Broderick Cole back
4] Northwestern State
5] Central Arkansas
6] Texas State
7] Southeastern Louisiana
8] Stephen F. Austin

Truly, it's always a toss-up. I feel very strongly about SHSU's team and I think the Colonels will be much improved over last year. Other than that....BIG TOSS UP!

Doesnt really match with this......

McNeese
SHSU
Texas St
NWST
Nicholls
UCA
SELA
SFA
i dont see any team getting an autobid this season from the slc. many teams play too many FBS or DII games to qualify. and those that have two FCS OCC games play tough teams. mcneese has the best chance if they dont win it outright.

Is the Southland really that close together that a clear leader/leaders can't be picked? I would probably favor McNeese or SHSU based on history. But is it really that close? Thoughts?

TXST_CAT
May 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
This........

Doesnt really match with this......

Is the Southland really that close together that a clear leader/leaders can't be picked? I would probably favor McNeese or SHSU based on history. But is it really that close? Thoughts?

YES. Twice in the last three years TXST and SAM have prevented the other from going to the playoffs or having a share of the conference title. They constantly play spoiler to each other and allow a McNeese or another team to share or own the title out right. xoopsx

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
YES. Twice in the last three years TXST and SAM have prevented the other from going to the playoffs or having a share of the conference title. They constantly play spoiler to each other and allow a McNeese or another team to share or own the title out right. xoopsx

I have an idea.......

Buy out your conference games!!!! Oh wait, that doesn't work.xoopsx

patssle
May 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
2004: Sam Houston and NWSt
2005: TSUSM and Nicholls
2006: McNeese

How can you pick a winner? There's no consistency! Haha.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
2004: Sam Houston and NWSt
2005: TSUSM and Nicholls
2006: McNeese

How can you pick a winner? There's no consistency! Haha.

Everyone in the conference sans SELA and SFA have won a title. SFA was second a year ago...

You can't count UCA, who just came into town this coming season...

Per Down South, in 2004 and 2005...teams near the bottom of the preseason polls won the auto-bid. It'd be fun if that happened this year too...it'd mean the QB-heavy top of the SLC (McN, SHSU, TXST and SFA) did not win...

TXST_CAT
May 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Examples:

Southland Conference Football Title and Playoff Hopes on the Line

Three still alive for title shot, only two can advance to playoffs as automatic qualifier.

Nov. 12, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - The 2006 Southland Conference football race has come down to the final week with three teams still alive to win the title, but only two have a shot at the SLC's automatic berth to the NCAA Playoffs. McNeese State controls its own destiny as far as the playoffs are concerned while Sam Houston State still has a shot at the postseason. Stephen F. Austin can still take a share of the SLC championship, but will not have the opportunity to advance to the playoffs.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111206aaa.html

Southland Football Championship up for Grabs on Saturday

Texas State, Nicholls State and McNeese State still have hopes of a title.

Nov. 18, 2005

PLANO, Texas - The 2005 Southland Conference football championship will be decided on the final regular-season Saturday. McNeese State will visit Nicholls State and Texas State will host Sam Houston State with McNeese, Nicholls and Texas State still having their sights set on the championship trophy and a shot at the NCAA I-AA Playoffs.
http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111805aab.html

Southland Conference Football Championship Going to the Wire
Northwestern State contols own destiny; Sam Houston and Texas State square off

Nov. 15, 2004

PLANO, Texas - Championship, spoiler, co-champions, playoffs, automatic bid, at-large selection, contenders. All words and phrases to be uttered throughout Southland Conference circles this week as two games during the final regular-season weekend will decide the fate of three teams.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111504aab.html

xdizzyx xshakingmadx xnutsx xbangx xrotatehx

Seat16Demon
May 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
It's really hard to say that one team has just totally dominated the conference in a number of years. You would probably have to back up 20 or more years to find a good case for such.

Some of you stat guys ought to check on it for us peons!

Seat16Demon
May 27th, 2007, 10:28 PM
It's really hard to say that one team has just totally dominated the conference in a number of years. You would probably have to back up 20 or more years to find a good case for such.

xnodx

McNeese75
May 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM

xnodx

xconfusedx

McTailGator
May 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM

xnodx

xconfusedx

How about a team that has won 11 SLC champinships, 4 in the last 6 years, is projected by most to win it again this year to make it 5 of the last 7 for their 12th SLC championship.

BTW, EVERYOTHER SLC team only has 11 SLC championships COMBINED, and your school is the closest with just 4.

A team that between 2001 and 2003 only lost 1 SLC game, and only lost 1 SLC game last year.

A team that has played in 2 National Championship Games, and has played in a total of 26 playoff games since 1993.

Domminance? I say that pretty much says it all.

patssle
May 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
you just don't get it. your not dominating NOW. the past is the past. you havn't dominated anything the past 3 years. maybe if you do this year, you can claim it. but as of now, your program has been on the decline. you havn't won a single playoff game in 3 years, Montana put you to SHAME last year. but if you want to call that dominance, I guess go right on ahead.

McTailGator
May 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
you just don't get it. your not dominating NOW. the past is the past. you havn't dominated anything the past 3 years. maybe if you do this year, you can claim it. but as of now, your program has been on the decline. you havn't won a single playoff game in 3 years, Montana put you to SHAME last year. but if you want to call that dominance, I guess go right on ahead.

xnonox No, you don't get it.

We won the damn SLC last year (3rd in 5 years) we will win it again in 07 and in 08. Mark it down.

You guy's have always sucked. It's been our conference to loose EVERY year. WE ARE THE STANDARD.

You are among the occasional one year wonders that pops up only when WE are down.

LIVE WITH IT, and please learn how to spell CAT. xreadx

TXST_CAT
May 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM

We won the damn SLC last year (3rd in 5 years) we will win it again in 07 and in 08. Mark it down.

You guy's have always sucked. It's been our conference to loose EVERY year. WE ARE THE STANDARD.

You are among the occasional one year wonders that pops up only when WE are down.

xeekx
WOW, I wouldn't jump the gun there CowPoke. The season hasn't even started and, as many have stated on AGS this conference isn't a walk any more. Keep looking to your teams past for pride but todays SLC is tough and I doubt there will ever be a clear dominant leader again. McNeese will always put out a great team but there are new contenders not afraid to knock down McNeese off its high horse. As of now TXST has the momentum against McNeese and our Bobcats will look to put another black eye on your teams record. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Montana put you to SHAME last year.

As I've tried telling you Pat, Montana has put a lot of SLC teams to shame in Missoula...including a big beatdown of SFA in the national semifinals a ways back...McNeese State actually has some wins over the Grizzlies in the Div I playoffs...

patssle
May 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
your stuck on the same page that the McTailGator is. we are talking about the PRESENT and their claim of domination. THE PRESENT. NOT 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 100, 200 years ago.

SFA 71
May 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Maybe you ought to learn how to spell lose before you start giving spelling lessonsxwhistlex

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
McNeese State
SFA
SHSU
Tx St
Nicholls State
etc

GeauxColonels
May 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Maybe you ought to learn how to spell lose before you start giving spelling lessonsxwhistlex

Darn, you beat me to it.:D

TXST_CAT
May 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
McNeese State
SFA
SHSU
Tx St
Nicholls State
etc

Why? Don't talk about their past victories or championships. Lets talk stats, lets talk # of returning starters, who will be the key players in thier offense and defense and what did they do last year. TXST lead the conferense in offense. We were young last year on defense and lost many games to penalties. So I ask again why should McNeese Be considered a first place team. Because to me thier stats were no more impresive than the next team. Sam I understand has a QB that many feel will make a large impact, but will they have the running back and wr's to compliment him? every year I see teams picked to win conferences mearely because they have HISTORY. if that is the case what is the difference between FBS and FCS because every year Bowl teams are picked at the top of the polls beacuse they have "proven historically " they can win and others who many feel are worthy of a Championship are left unnoticed until they take down the "proven(historic)" winners.

CopperCat
May 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Why? Don't talk about their past victories or championships. Lets talk stats, lets talk # of returning starters, who will be the key players in thier offense and defense and what did they do last year. TXST lead the conferense in offense. We were young last year on defense and lost many games to penalties. So I ask again why should McNeese Be considered a first place team. Because to me thier stats were no more impresive than the next team. Sam I understand has a QB that many feel will make a large impact, but will they have the running back and wr's to compliment him? every year I see teams picked to win conferences mearely because they have HISTORY. if that is the case what is the difference between FBS and FCS because every year Bowl teams are picked at the top of the polls beacuse they have "proven historically " they can win and others who many feel are worthy of a Championship are left unnoticed until they take down the "proven(historic)" winners.

I predict there will be three teams in the mix for the top in the SLC. I also predict that there will be a tie for first place come season's end. The SLC is a power vacuum, and I see some teams that may shake it up at the top. McNeese will be good, yes. But other teams will be too. Don't just hand McNeese the conf. title just becuase of past accomplishments. As they say around here, "Any Given Saturday," anything can happen.

BEAR
May 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Ooooohhhh...my first SLC throwdown! xlolx
Glad i'm with lil' ol' UCA..I get to sit by and watch you guys kill each other first! Then it's the old SFA vs SHSU smackdown! xthumbsupx xpeacex

McNeese75
May 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Ooooohhhh...my first SLC throwdown! xlolx
Glad i'm with lil' ol' UCA..I get to sit by and watch you guys kill each other first! Then it's the old SFA vs SHSU smackdown! xthumbsupx xpeacex

Your time is coming :D

blackfordpu
May 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
once again the slc is tough to predict. im sure my predictions will change as the season gets closer. i agree that mcneese was good last season but against a down year in the slc. shsu has bomar coming in but will he provide and does he have a rb and o-line to back him up?

Our O-line is one of the strong suites of our team.

already123
May 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Sam and McNeese will make the playoffs...Conf winner is a toss up between the two. Both have their strenghts. The rest of the conf doenst really matter...

slycat
May 29th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Sam and McNeese will make the playoffs...Conf winner is a toss up between the two. Both have their strenghts. The rest of the conf doenst really matter...

i dont see shsu getting an at large bid. they play two sub DI teams, a FBS team, and a very tough OOC at NDSU. i dont see them getting the 7 wins they need from DI schools. if they go to the postseason it will be because they win confernce.

TXST_CAT
May 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM

You obviously don't know SLC football. xsmhx
If you did you would back this statement with some information.

RabidRabbit
May 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
i dont see shsu getting an at large bid. they play two sub DI teams, a FBS team, and a very tough OOC at NDSU. i dont see them getting the 7 wins they need from DI schools. if they go to the postseason it will be because they win confernce.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Prominentwon
May 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Why? Don't talk about their past victories or championships. Lets talk stats, lets talk # of returning starters, who will be the key players in thier offense and defense and what did they do last year. TXST lead the conferense in offense. We were young last year on defense and lost many games to penalties.

Then let's. I've stayed out of this Texas St/McNeese argument for a while now, but I can't take the stupidity any longer. You guys can only bring up the last 3 years and want to keep it at that. Now all of the sudden Texas St. OWNS McNeese? Are you stupid? Go past that? Go back 6-7 years and how pathetic of a football team SWT has been.

Let's get into players and stats. Let's!.....

First off, McNeese is returning 16 All-Conference players. 3 All-Americans. That's not counting another in Vaalyn Jackson, a SLC 1st team Conference player as a freshman year before last. Had to sit out due to academics last season. Thank the counselor for that one.

Let's go position by position......

McNeese has the returning SLC Freshman of the year in their QB with Derrick Forroux. Kid is going to be good and yes I dare say, as good as Kerry Joseph was. Running ability and all he has to do is take care of the ball to keep this team winning. A healthy Mark Fontenot, who was supposed to be the starter until an injury, is a more than reliable backup.

At Running Back, Jamie Leonard has the ability to be a 1,000 yard runner in this league. He's not because the depth at RB at McNeese is deep. Todd Pendland came in as a Freshman RB and had quite a few yards. How often do you see a true freshman RB at McNeese? That kid is going to special. It's a VERY RARE case. Then you have a 4.4 guy in Elrick Jones and then there's Neely Hubbard who sat out due to academics that is back.

Anyone want our WR's? I would bet my yearly wages that any of you in this conference would take them without even thinking twice. Steven Whitehead is one of the explosive players in the country. Carlese Franklin is extermely dangerous with the ball and Immanuel Friddle looks to become a very good possesion receiver. Oh yeah, that guy that's behind your secondary. That's Quinten Lawrence. Some of us call him Featherstone, but the day he does catch the ball, he's one of the best in the country. Another freshman that is a 4.3 guy.

Let's skip to defense where we lacked last year. The hole in the middle was huge. Because our freshman DT was missing. Along with 3 or 4 others. SHSU, you're welcome. Vaalyn Jackson is back along with a couple more 300 lb DT's that were sorely missed last year.

Seriously, do I really need to say anything about Bryan Smith? If you don't know who he is, don't reply to this thread because you probably don't need to be debating anything to do with SLC football. Honestly, he's the second most dominating defensive player I've ever seen at McNeese behind Kavika Pittman.

Trey Bennett, Allen Nelson. Two more all conference LB's.

If we're going to debate about why McNeese has fallen into futility (according to TxSU cats that think they own the SLC world because they've had McNeese's number the last couple of years), back it up with something that makes sense rather than the whole elementary "We beat you 3 years in a row now" garbage.

blackfordpu
May 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Then let's. I've stayed out of this Texas St/McNeese argument for a while now, but I can't take the stupidity any longer. You guys can only bring up the last 3 years and want to keep it at that. Now all of the sudden Texas St. OWNS McNeese? Are you stupid? Go past that? Go back 6-7 years and how pathetic of a football team SWT has been.

Let's get into players and stats. Let's!.....

First off, McNeese is returning 16 All-Conference players. 3 All-Americans. That's not counting another in Vaalyn Jackson, a SLC 1st team Conference player as a freshman year before last. Had to sit out due to academics last season. Thank the counselor for that one.

Let's go position by position......

McNeese has the returning SLC Freshman of the year in their QB with Derrick Forroux. Kid is going to be good and yes I dare say, as good as Kerry Joseph was. Running ability and all he has to do is take care of the ball to keep this team winning. A healthy Mark Fontenot, who was supposed to be the starter until an injury, is a more than reliable backup.

At Running Back, Jamie Leonard has the ability to be a 1,000 yard runner in this league. He's not because the depth at RB at McNeese is deep. Todd Pendland came in as a Freshman RB and had quite a few yards. How often do you see a true freshman RB at McNeese? That kid is going to special. It's a VERY RARE case. Then you have a 4.4 guy in Elrick Jones and then there's Neely Hubbard who sat out due to academics that is back.

Anyone want our WR's? I would bet my yearly wages that any of you in this conference would take them without even thinking twice. Steven Whitehead is one of the explosive players in the country. Carlese Franklin is extermely dangerous with the ball and Immanuel Friddle looks to become a very good possesion receiver. Oh yeah, that guy that's behind your secondary. That's Quinten Lawrence. Some of us call him Featherstone, but the day he does catch the ball, he's one of the best in the country. Another freshman that is a 4.3 guy.

Let's skip to defense where we lacked last year. The hole in the middle was huge. Because our freshman DT was missing. Along with 3 or 4 others. SHSU, you're welcome. Vaalyn Jackson is back along with a couple more 300 lb DT's that were sorely missed last year.

Seriously, do I really need to say anything about Bryan Smith? If you don't know who he is, don't reply to this thread because you probably don't need to be debating anything to do with SLC football. Honestly, he's the second most dominating defensive player I've ever seen at McNeese behind Kavika Pittman.

Trey Bennett, Allen Nelson. Two more all conference LB's.

If we're going to debate about why McNeese has fallen into futility (according to TxSU cats that think they own the SLC world because they've had McNeese's number the last couple of years), back it up with something that makes sense rather than the whole elementary "We beat you 3 years in a row now" garbage.

Thats it everyone, we don't even need to play any games this season. Just give McNeese the damn title since no one even has a chance.xboringx xrolleyesx

McNeese75
May 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thats it everyone, we don't even need to play any games this season. Just give McNeese the damn title since no one even has a chance.xboringx xrolleyesx

no comment

blackfordpu
May 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Your right!!! BOMAR is coming xeekx xcoffeex

You have not seen me ranting and raving blindly about how good the Bearkats are unlike you and your cowboy brothers.

Bomar was very good for OU but until he steps on the field this season it is all just speculation, just like the cowboys. Being optimistic is good but you guys are taking it a bit far.

McNeese75
May 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
You have not seen me ranting and raving blindly about how good the Bearkats are unlike you and your cowboy brothers.

Bomar was very good for OU but until he steps on the field this season it is all just speculation, just like the cowboys. Being optimistic is good but you guys are taking it a bit far.

You are right, please accept my apology for my prior comment, I was in a temporary rant mood (I recently visited the Tx State site, xsmhx ) :D .

bobcatalum05
May 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM
You are right, please accept my apology for my prior comment, I was in a temporary rant mood (I recently visited the Tx State site, xsmhx ) :D .

What??? You expect us to roll over for the great McNeese State Cowboys. You may win next year, but you guys will have to earn it. Nobody is going to give it away.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 29th, 2007, 11:06 PM

So does getting the fact WRONG!!!!!!!! xlolx

^^^^^^^^^And he posted that almost 2 weeks ago.....I should have caught that earlier....oh well.....

Proof 1998 xreadx :

McNeese Went 9-3 --- Can't say they were bad or down because yall were a couple of plays from going through the regular season unbeaten....yall only losses were a 14-10 loss to Northwestern State in Natchitoches and a 31-30 home loss to Nicholls State which killed yalls chance of at least a share of the conference title....

Then came the 1st round playoff loss to a UMASS team 21-19. That team eventually beat Northwestern State 41-31 in the Semi's in Natchitoches(meaning the Conference Champ made it FURTHER than McNeese that year) and then UMASS won the National Title in a Shootout to Georgia Southern 55-43....

So it is possible to win the Southland without McNeese having a down year because it's been done....xnodx

McNeese is good (probabaly always will be)...but they're not invincible...

This is not smack talking....just making a point.....

Prominentwon
May 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Thats it everyone, we don't even need to play any games this season. Just give McNeese the damn title since no one even has a chance.

The guy said lets talk players. Lets talk stats. I didn't even get to stats and I get a rebuttal like that?

Calling any mighty Tx St fans. You wanted to talk players. Lets compare players. Let's see what you guys have to say. Let's not think about McNeese being more talented than what they have in San Marcos.

blackfordpu
May 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM
The guy said lets talk players. Lets talk stats. I didn't even get to stats and I get a rebuttal like that?

Calling any mighty Tx St fans. You wanted to talk players. Lets compare players. Let's see what you guys have to say. Let's not think about McNeese being more talented than what they have in San Marcos.

I was talking to every McNeese St. fan that was being blindly arrogant. That just happened to be the last post by one of them.

bobcatalum05
May 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Lets start position by position

TXST QB Brad George 6-6 230lbs Sophmore

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/711165.jpeg

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G

George, Bradley 10 120.6 124-233-10 53.2 1676 11 83 167.6
Put up 1676 yards and only started 7 games as a freshman.

SHSU Bomar Jr

Derrick Fourroux 6-1 187 QB SO

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Southall, Danny..... SFA JR 11 294 169 4 57.5 1877 8 170.6
2. George, Bradley..... TXST FR 10 233 124 10 53.2 1676 11 167.6
3. Hicks, Brett........ SHSU JR 11 269 144 11 53.5 1773 8 161.2
4. Fourroux, Derri..... MCN FR 12 217 118 7 54.4 1490 10 124.2
5. Schlosser, Brad..... SLU FR 8 162 108 3 66.7 940 4 117.5
6. Babin, Seth......... SLU SR 10 225 138 6 61.3 1117 8 111.7
7. Charpentier, Ro..... NWLA SO 10 160 80 4 50.0 837 5 83.7
8. Wasson, Chase....... TXST JR 11 82 44 5 53.7 442 4 40.2
9. Montgomery, Vin..... NICH FR 9 49 21 3 42.9 358 2 39.8
10.Fontenot, Mark...... MCN SO 11 36 18 2 50.0 275 4 25

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
What??? You expect us to roll over for the great McNeese State Cowboys. You may win next year, but you guys will have to earn it. Nobody is going to give it away.

I am not sure I know what message you are responding to??

We have to earn every win 05. McNeese has carried a target on their back for years (not as much the last three years) and it will be there again this season. There is a lot of smack going on various forums between Cowboy and Bobcat fans but I can promise you, McNeese fans are looking forward to the game this year and nobody is thinking anyone is going to roll over.

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM

^^^^^^^^^And he posted that almost 2 weeks ago.....I should have caught that earlier....oh well.....

Proof 1998 xreadx :

McNeese Went 9-3 --- Can't say they were bad or down because yall were a couple of plays from going through the regular season unbeaten....yall only losses were a 14-10 loss to Northwestern State in Natchitoches and a 31-30 home loss to Nicholls State which killed yalls chance of at least a share of the conference title....

Then came the 1st round playoff loss to a UMASS team 21-19. That team eventually beat Northwestern State 41-31 in the Semi's in Natchitoches(meaning the Conference Champ made it FURTHER than McNeese that year) and then UMASS won the National Title in a Shootout to Georgia Southern 55-43....

So it is possible to win the Southland without McNeese having a down year because it's been done....xnodx

Nobody is invincible in the SLC Frosty, we all know that.

bobcatalum05
May 30th, 2007, 08:47 AM
We have to earn every win 05. McNeese has carried a target on their back for years (not as much the last three years) and it will be there again this season. There is a lot of smack going on various forums between Cowboy and Bobcat fans but I can promise you, McNeese fans are looking forward to the game this year and nobody is thinking anyone is going to roll over.

Thats what I want to hear. Some of your compadres make it sound like all SLC teams will just play dead for the McNeese Cowboys because they have won more conference titles. Let the games be played, our 2005 team is not playing in 2007 and neither is your 2002.

I look forward to cooking you fellas some Texan Cousine and visiting with the fine folks of McNeese again. May the best TEAM win.

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Lets start position by position

TXST QB Brad George 6-6 230lbs Sophmore

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/711165.jpeg

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G

George, Bradley 10 120.6 124-233-10 53.2 1676 11 83 167.6
Put up 1676 yards and only started 7 games as a freshman.

SHSU Bomar Jr

Derrick Fourroux 6-1 187 QB SO

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Southall, Danny..... SFA JR 11 294 169 4 57.5 1877 8 170.6
2. George, Bradley..... TXST FR 10 233 124 10 53.2 1676 11 167.6
3. Hicks, Brett........ SHSU JR 11 269 144 11 53.5 1773 8 161.2
4. Fourroux, Derri..... MCN FR 12 217 118 7 54.4 1490 10 124.2
5. Schlosser, Brad..... SLU FR 8 162 108 3 66.7 940 4 117.5
6. Babin, Seth......... SLU SR 10 225 138 6 61.3 1117 8 111.7
7. Charpentier, Ro..... NWLA SO 10 160 80 4 50.0 837 5 83.7
8. Wasson, Chase....... TXST JR 11 82 44 5 53.7 442 4 40.2
9. Montgomery, Vin..... NICH FR 9 49 21 3 42.9 358 2 39.8
10.Fontenot, Mark...... MCN SO 11 36 18 2 50.0 275 4 25

Are you going to stop there??? Is your QB all you are counting on this year? Bradley is bigger and had better stats last year than Fourroux (but who won more games?). Bradley had Wasson as a clutch receiver last year but he won't be open this year. We have all of our receivers returning plus some promising youngsters. Running backs? Bring em!

The 2007 cowboys will bring 55 returning lettermen and 21 seniors to the table (per the spring game program). This will include three potential preseason all-americans (and the possibility of more). xwhistlex

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Thats what I want to hear. Some of your compadres make it sound like all SLC teams will just play dead for the McNeese Cowboys because they have won more conference titles. Let the games be played, our 2005 team is not playing in 2007 and neither is your 2002.

I look forward to cooking you fellas some Texan Cousine and visiting with the fine folks of McNeese again. May the best TEAM win.

:) I know, we all have our more zealous fans and posters running around. We also know we have to "bring it" when we visit you this year if we expect to walk away with a win. I look forward to the game as well!! xnodx

bobcatalum05
May 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Are you going to stop there??? Is your QB all you are counting on this year? Bradley is bigger and had better stats last year than Fourroux (but who won more games?). Bradley had Wasson as a clutch receiver last year but he won't be open this year. We have all of our receivers returning plus some promising youngsters. Running backs? Bring em!

The 2007 cowboys will bring 55 returning lettermen and 21 seniors to the table (per the spring game program). This will include three potential preseason all-americans (and the possibility of more). xwhistlex

Well discuss QB's more or start a new position. Like this;

Running Backs

RUSHING Team Cl G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G Long
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Terry, D.D.......... SHSU SR 10 215 1328 6.2 15 132.8 74
2. Lawrence, Byron..... NWLA SO 11 187 821 4.4 4 74.6 38
3. Zwinggi, Stan....... TXST SO 11 131 735 5.6 3 66.8 49
4. Runnels, Louie...... SFA JR 11 145 709 4.9 6 64.5 45
5. Lucas, Jay.......... SLU SO 11 134 684 5.1 6 62.2 42
6. Leonard, Jamie...... MCN JR 10 102 605 5.9 5 60.5 45
7. Brooks, Jerome...... SFA SR 11 111 512 4.6 1 46.5 39
8. Montgomery, Vin..... NICH FR 9 109 408 3.7 2 45.3 38
9. McLendon, Micha..... NICH JR 10 57 438 7.7 4 43.8 38
10.Southall, Danny..... SFA JR 11 109 418 3.8 6 38.0 59

ALL PURPOSE Team Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yds Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Terry, D.D.......... SHSU SR 10 1328 237 0 0 1565 156.5
2. Whitehead, Stev..... MCN JR 12 156 596 353 455 1560 130.0
3. Zwinggi, Stan....... TXST SO 11 735 159 0 311 1205 109.5
4. Harris, Derrick..... SHSU SR 11 0 0 366 570 941 85.5
5. Lucas, Jay.......... SLU SO 11 684 237 0 0 921 83.7
6. Runnels, Louie...... SFA JR 11 709 188 0 0 897 81.5
7. Lawrence, Byron..... NWLA SO 11 821 10 0 0 831 75.5
8. Brooks, Jerome...... SFA SR 11 512 36 0 281 829 75.4
9. Franklin, Carle..... MCN SR 11 43 431 5 269 748 68.0
10.Wasson, Chase....... TXST JR 11 358 380 7 0 745 67.7

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/554955.jpeg
has been timed at 4.29 in the 40.

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Zwinggi, Stan 11 131 769 34 735 5.6 3 49 66.8

Sophmore Canady, Alvin 9 44 238 5 233 5.3 1 41 25.9
All Purpose 9 233 229 -11 74 0 525 58.3
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/554963.jpeg

Red Shirt Freshman Karrington Bush
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/592728.jpeg
Unanimously named district's most valuable player as a senior as well as selected to the Class 2A All-State team as a running back ... the 2A Region II Offensive Most Valuable player as well as selected the All-Texoma MVP ... ran for 1,696 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior ... had a 12.2 yards per carry average ... also had 310 receiving yards and caught four touchdown receptions ... also a return specialist who returned one punt for a touchdown and averaged 35 yards as Whitewright's punter ...

Feel free to start a new postition or talk more about QB's or RB's.

TXST_CAT
May 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/554955.jpeg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/554963.jpeg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/592728.jpeg
Unanimously named district's most valuable player as a senior as well as selected to the Class 2A All-State team as a running back ... the 2A Region II Offensive Most Valuable player as well as selected the All-Texoma MVP ... ran for 1,696 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior ... had a 12.2 yards per carry average ... also had 310 receiving yards and caught four touchdown receptions ... also a return specialist who returned one punt for a touchdown and averaged 35 yards as Whitewright's punter ...

xthumbsupx

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM
...exactly why we should just run the ball 50 times a game! haha

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Running Backs

Feel free to start a new postition or talk more about QB's or RB's.

xlolx I guess I asked for that didn't I? I cannot respond with that kind of detail right now but will try and provide some feedback on the McNeese returning players and new prospects later. Your RB profile shows Jamie Leonard played in 10 games but I know several of those games he was very limited in his playing time due to nagging injuries. Soph Toddrick Pendland (out of Newton) will be a force for the Cowboys this year. This kid has Zwinggi's speed but it more shifty IMO and will be a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

The excitement here about the 2007 McNeese team is not based on specific players but the possible combinations of attack on offense. QB that is in the 4.5 - 4.6 speed range and can run and should be a much improved passer (2-3 solid backups including one that is even faster), Multiple RB's in the 4.3-4.5 speed range and wide receivers that are overall faster than the RB's as a group. All that being said, I do not expect this team to produce a lot of all-americans due to the number of talented players sharing playing time (Whitehead will be the exception).

Matt Viator can be very creative on offense. If he opens the playbook this year with the available talent it should be a very fun year.

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
...exactly why we should just run the ball 50 times a game! haha

And I would still love to see that!!! xnodx

McNeese72
May 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
xlolx I guess I asked for that didn't I? I cannot respond with that kind of detail right now but will try and provide some feedback on the McNeese returning players and new prospects later. Your RB profile shows Jamie Leonard played in 10 games but I know several of those games he was very limited in his playing time due to nagging injuries. Soph Toddrick Pendland (out of Newton) will be a force for the Cowboys this year. This kid has Zwinggi's speed but it more shifty IMO and will be a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

The excitement here about the 2007 McNeese team is not based on specific players but the possible combinations of attack on offense. QB that is in the 4.5 - 4.6 speed range and can run and should be a much improved passer (2-3 solid backups including one that is even faster), Multiple RB's in the 4.3-4.5 speed range and wide receivers that are overall faster than the RB's as a group. All that being said, I do not expect this team to produce a lot of all-americans due to the number of talented players sharing playing time (Whitehead will be the exception).

Matt Viator can be very creative on offense. If he opens the playbook this year with the available talent it should be a very fun year.

Jamie Leonard only played portions of games in the last half of the season due to a nagging hamstring pull. And he didn't even suit up for the playoff game with Montana. Without that injury, I think he would have been close to a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget that Neely Hubbard will be back this season and Elrick Jones should be improved along with the ones you mentioned.

Doc

McNeese75
May 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Jamie Leonard only played portions of games in the last half of the season due to a nagging hamstring pull. And he didn't even suit up for the playoff game with Montana. Without that injury, I think he would have been close to a 1,000 yard rusher. Don't forget that Neely Hubbard will be back this season and Elrick Jones should be improved along with the ones you mentioned.

Doc

I know, but nobody believes how good we should be anyway :D

bobcatalum05
May 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Owe I believe you guys will be good, but TXST, SHSU, and the rest of the SLC will not lay down for you. Nobody has denied that next years Cowboy team will be talented.

What the arguement has been about is that your 2002 team and our 2005 team will not be on the field in 2007. You guys still have to earn the wins in 2007, nobody will be laying down for the Cowboys in 2007.

Obviously McNeese, SHSU, and TXST think they will be good, but we will just have to let the season play out to see who is the best.

TXST_CAT
May 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
First off no other SLC fan, SHSU, TXST, NWST, is claiming to "run the table". McNeese seems to feel they can run over the SLC based on thier past. What they don't acknowledge is the fact that the SLC is not the same as years past. I have seen how in the last 4-5 yrs. Many teams in the SLC have vastly improved thier programs. TXST, Nicholls and SHSU had to endure years of administrative neglect. Those years are quickly passing by. Other programs like SFA and NWST have noticed this shift in competition and are trying to keep up as well. SELA and UCA are excellent additions and I expect them to make this conference even tougher year in and year out. McNeese enjoys being able to recruit based of historic wins but I see teams like SHSU and TXST closing the talent gap fast. TXST under Coach Bailiff under went some major improvements and now has some stability with a solid core of retuning Freshmen, Soph athletes and SR's that understand they need to be the leaders of the team. Every year we are adding talented Freshmen that will continue to make TXST competitive. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2007, 07:34 AM
The SLC has some pretty impressive sophomores all around whether it be a QB Derrick Fourroux (McN) or Bradley George (TXST) to a defensive player like Tommy Connnors (SELA) or Luke McCall (SHSU)...

McNeese75
May 31st, 2007, 02:23 PM
First off no other SLC fan, SHSU, TXST, NWST, is claiming to "run the table". McNeese seems to feel

Well, actually, it seems to me there is only one (maybe occasionly two) avid Cowboy fans (who shall remain nameless) on here that have been making those brash claims you are referring to.

I am not one those you refer to. I do however feel, it the chips fall right, the Cowboys certainly have the talent to go through the conference clean. Will it happen? Probably not and of course there are other teams that share the same optimisim.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Nobody is invincible in the SLC Frosty, we all know that.

That wasn't my point....

The point I was trying to make was that someone else can win the conference title WITHOUT McNeese having a "down year"....

But yeah....I agree with ya on that one....

McNeese72
May 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM
I think the conference is going to up for grabs this season with a lot the teams showing improvement (including McNeese). What we need to do, is to go out in the first part of the season and kick a lot of out of conference ass and, then we can worry about settling our family squabble.

But remember, to win the conference, you don't just have to beat any one team (like Tx St beating us three times in a row), but you just have to beat most all of the other guys,too. :-)

Doc

GeauxColonels
May 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM

Proof 1998 xreadx :

Ahhh, I remember that game! It was my first semester at Nicholls State and our teams were HORRIBLE back then. It was a GREAT way to finish the season though....plus it was an incredibly exciting game with a last-second finish.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Ahhh, I remember that game! It was my first semester at Nicholls State and our teams were HORRIBLE back then. It was a GREAT way to finish the season though....plus it was an incredibly exciting game with a last-second finish.

We'll take it.....thanks xthumbsupx

As for yall's 4-7 team.....I wouldn't say yall were THAT terrible....

Ok....recordwise yes....but 4 of those games yall lost were ALL by 3 points or less....With a little luck...yall could have easily went 8-3

And I thought I had bad luck.....xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

1999 However.....different story xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

TXST_CAT
May 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
I Think the SLC is on the right track. The fact that (today) there is not one single team domminating the conference makes this conference more exciting and inviting to fans. I understand the history teams like McNeese bring to the conference but it is time for other teams to do their part to increase interest in the SLC and FCS football. Although TXST has many fans who favor FBS, there are many who are just as much in favor of FCS football. Building a winning tradition of winning against teams in and out of the conference allows this to happen.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Dallas Demon
June 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Last 10 years of SLC play, here are the years of teams making it to the I-AA/FCS playoffs:

1) McNeese St. - 7 out of 10
2) Northwestern St. - 5 out of 10
3) Sam Houston St. - 2 out of 10
4) Nicholls St. and Texas St. - 1 out of 10
5) Stephen F. Austin St., Southeastern LA, UCA - 0 out of 10

Of course past performance is no indicator of future performance, but I'd say the esteemed gentleman from McNeese at least has a reason to be arrogant (although I don't prefer this approach). So does Northwestern St. Anything can happen of course, but it's always interesting to hear the big talk from all schools as a season approaches only to watch those same folks disappear/make excuses/trash their own team as the season progresses. xcoffeex

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Dallas Demon,

Care to provide full stats of NCAA appearances by each institution? xnodx

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Dallas Demon,

By Full...you mean all-time??? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
By Full...you mean all-time??? xconfusedx

Correct... xthumbsupx

BEAR
June 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Last 10 years of SLC play, here are the years of teams making it to the I-AA/FCS playoffs:

1) McNeese St. - 7 out of 10
2) Northwestern St. - 5 out of 10
3) Sam Houston St. - 2 out of 10
4) Nicholls St. and Texas St. - 1 out of 10
5) Stephen F. Austin St., Southeastern LA, UCA - 0 out of 10

Of course past performance is no indicator of future performance, but I'd say the esteemed gentleman from McNeese at least has a reason to be arrogant (although I don't prefer this approach). So does Northwestern St. Anything can happen of course, but it's always interesting to hear the big talk from all schools as a season approaches only to watch those same folks disappear/make excuses/trash their own team as the season progresses. xcoffeex

Keeping with the theme set forth by TT, UCA was not in the SLC last year and as independents going through transition, not eligible to be in the playoffs, so remove them from that list. xthumbsupx xrulesx xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Correct... xthumbsupx

My bad....fell asleep watching this Pistons game....

Give me a few....

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
McNeese State Cowboys:

11-30-1991 -- McNeese 16 -- Nevada 22 (Reno, NV)
11-28-1992 -- McNeese 23 -- Idaho 20 (Moscow, ID)
12-05-1992 -- McNeese 07 -- Northern Iowa 29 (Ceder Falls, IA)
11-27-1993 -- McNeese 34 -- William & Mary 28 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-04-1993 -- McNeese 28 -- Troy State 35 (Lake Charles, LA)
11-26-1994 -- McNeese 38 -- Idaho 21 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-03-1994 -- McNeese 28 -- Montana 30 (Missoula, MT)
11-25-1995 -- McNeese 33 -- Idaho 03 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-02-1995 -- McNeese 52 -- Deleware 18 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-09-1995 -- McNeese 13 -- Marshall 25 (Lake Charles, LA)
11-29-1997 -- McNeese 19 -- Montana 14 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-06-1997 -- McNeese 14 -- Western Illinois 12 (Macomb, IL)
12-13-1997 -- McNeese 23 -- Deleware 21 (Newmark, DE)
12-20-1997 -- McNeese 09 -- Youngstown State 10 (Chattanooga, TN)
11-28-1998 -- McNeese 19 -- Massachusettes 21 (Lake Charles, LA)
11-25-2000 -- McNeese 17 -- Georgia Southern 42 (Statesboro, GA)
12-01-2001 -- McNeese 10 -- Maine 14 (Lake Charles, LA)
11-30-2002 -- McNeese 21 -- Montana State 14 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-07-2002 -- McNeese 24 -- Montana 20 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-14-2002 -- McNeese 39 -- Villanova 28 (Lake Charles, LA)
12-20-2002 -- McNeese 14 -- Western Kentucky 34 (Chattanooga, TN)
11-29-2003 -- McNeese 03 -- Northern Arizona 35 (Lake Charles, LA)
11-25-2006 -- McNeese 06 -- Montana 31 (Missoula, MT)

11-12 (.478)

Nicholls State Colonels

11-29-1986 Nicholls State 28 -- Appalachian State 26 (Boone, NC)
12-06-1986 Nicholls State 31 -- Georgia Southern 55 (Statesboro, GA)
11-30-1996 Nicholls State 03 -- Montana 48 (Missoula, MT)
11-26-2005 Nicholls State 12 -- Furman 14 (Greenville, SC)

1-3 (.250)

Northwestern State Demons

11-26-1988 Northwestern State 22 -- Boise State 13 (Boise, ID)
12-03-1988 Northwestern State 30 -- Idaho 38 (Moscow, ID)
11-29-1997 Northwestern State 10 -- Eastern Washington 40 (Spokane, WA)
11-28-1998 Northwestern State 48 -- Illinois State 28 (Natchitoches, LA)
12-05-1998 Northwestern State 31 -- Appalachian State 20 (Natchitoches, LA)
12-12-1998 Northwestern State 31 -- Massachusettes 41 (Natchitoches, LA)
12-01-2001 Northwestern State 19 -- Montana 28 (Missoula, MT)
11-30-2002 Northwestern State 14 -- Montana 45 (Missoula, MT)
11-27-2004 Northwestern State 07 -- Montana 52 (Missoula, MT)

3-6 (.333)

Sam Houston State Bearkats

11-29-1986 Sam Houston State 07 -- Arkansas State 48 (Jonesboro, AR) --- Gulf South Conference
11-30-1991 Sam Houston State 19 -- Middle Tennessee State 20 (Murfreesboro TN)
12-01-2001 Sam Houston State 34 -- Northern Arizona 31 (Huntsville, TX)
12-08-2001 Sam Houston State 24 -- Montana 49 (Missoula, MT)
11-20-2004 Sam Houston State 54 -- Western Kentucky 24 (Huntsville, TX)
12-04-2004 Sam Houston State 35 -- Eastern Washington 24 (Cheney, WA)
12-11-2004 Sam Houston State 13 -- Montana 34 (Missoula, MT)

3-4 (.428)

Texas State Bobcats

11-26-2005 Texas State 50 -- Georgia Southern 35 (San Marcos, TX)
12-03-2005 Texas State 14 -- Cal-Poly 07 (San Marcos, TX)
12-09-2005 Texas State 37 -- Northern Iowa 40 (San Marcos, TX)

2-1 (.667)

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

11-26-1988 Stephen F. Austin 24 -- Jackson State 00 (Nacogdoches, TX)
12-03-1988 Stephen F. Austin 06 -- Georgia Southern 27 (Statesboro, GA)
11-25-1989 Stephen F. Austin 59 -- Grambling State 56 (Nacogdoches, TX)
12-02-1989 Stephen F. Austin 55 -- Missouri State 25 (Nacogdoches, TX)
12-09-1989 Stephen F. Austin 21 -- Furman 19 (Greenville, SC)
12-16-1989 Stephen F. Austin 34 -- Georgia Southern 37 (Statesboro, GA)
11-27-1993 Stephen F. Austin 20 -- Troy State 42 (Troy, AL)
11-25-1995 Stephen F. Austin 34 -- Eastern Illinois 29 (Nacogdoches, TX)
12-02-1995 Stephen F. Austin 27 -- Appalachian State 17 (Boone, NC)
12-09-1995 Stephen F. Austin 14 -- Montana 70 (Missoula, MT)

6-4 (.600)

Correct Any Mistakes Yall See Fit

Dallas Demon
June 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Dallas Demon,

Frosty provided the details. With relation to years of appearances in the I-AA/FCS playoffs since the beginning of time here's the details. Yes, UCA and SELA have excuses but all other teams are in basically the same boat with regards to chances:

1) McNeese 12 years in playoffs
2) Northwestern 6 years in playoffs
3) Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin, 4 years in playoffs
4) Nicholls 3 years in playoffs
5) Texas St. 1 year in playoffs
6) SE Louisiana and UCA 0 years in playoffs (SE never made it in the 80s and of course UCA hasn't had the chance yet)

So, my original statistics are even more dramatic considering they indicate the most recent years.

Here's a different way to look at this. For the last 10 years, for every time Nicholls and Texas St. make the playoffs these teams have made the playoffs x number of years:

McNeese (7)
Northwestern St (5)
Sam Houston (2)

For every time Sam makes the playoffs the last 10 years, here's the ratio:

McNeese makes it 3.5 times
Northwestern makes it 2.5 times

I'm sure everyone's head is spinning with rebuttals of their own statistics, etc. and there's different ways of spinning this, however the bottom line is we are all shooting for is to make the playoffs and only then can we attempt to make some noise. xrulesx

patssle
June 2nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
and there's different ways of spinning this, however the bottom line is we are all shooting for is to make the playoffs and only then can we attempt to make some noise

of course. the only thing that matters is THIS SEASON.

GIT R DUN

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
1) McNeese 12 years in playoffs
2) Northwestern 6 years in playoffs
3) Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin, 4 years in playoffs
4) Nicholls 3 years in playoffs
5) Texas St. 1 year in playoffs
6) SE Louisiana and UCA 0 years in playoffs (SE never made it in the 80s and of course UCA hasn't had the chance yet)

I just wanted to compare everyone else to the program that would like to move to "Division I"...xwhistlex

McNeese75
June 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
I just wanted to compare everyone else to the program that would like to move to "Division I"...xwhistlex

xlolx such a subtle little jab :D

beerkat
June 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sam Houston State Bearkats

11-29-1986 Sam Houston State 07 -- Arkansas State 48 (Jonesboro, AR) --- Gulf South Conference
11-30-1991 Sam Houston State 19 -- Middle Tennessee State 20 (Murfreesboro TN)
12-01-2001 Sam Houston State 34 -- Northern Arizona 31 (Huntsville, TX)
12-08-2001 Sam Houston State 24 -- Montana 49 (Missoula, MT)
11-20-2004 Sam Houston State 54 -- Western Kentucky 24 (Huntsville, TX)
12-04-2004 Sam Houston State 35 -- Eastern Washington 24 (Cheney, WA)
12-11-2004 Sam Houston State 13 -- Montana 34 (Missoula, MT)

3-7 (.300)

that adds up to 3-4 by my math

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM

*sigh* i LOVE how you constantly try to make the minority appear as the majority...xsmhx

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
*sigh* i LOVE how you constantly try to make the minority appear as the majority...xsmhx

Just gotta rib you guys a bit since you folks give us so much crap! ;)

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Just gotta rib you guys a bit since you folks give us so much crap! ;)

xpeacex it's all good.

McNeese75
June 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
xpeacex it's all good.

xhurrayx

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
that adds up to 3-4 by my math

:o

Typo corrected...carry on

Seat16Demon
June 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Nice stat work Frosty!

bobcatalum05
June 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM

Why do you care?

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Why do you care?

I believe he already stated his reasoning.xrotatehx