PDA

View Full Version : GSU @ Northeastern

ChickenMan
August 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
An interesting opener... 9/3 in Boston. On paper GSU looks like the obvious choice... but NU has been very tough at Parson Field. I just checked their record at home since '01 and they're 20-4 with one of those wins being UD's only loss of the '03 season. Parson Field is a tough place to play... a small HS like stadium with crowds around 5,000 and for some reason NU's opponents seldom seem to play very well in that strange enviroment. I saw UD probably play their worst game in the last 30 yrs at Parson Field back in '01 and I wouldn't be surprised if NU makes things very uncomfortable for GSU in their season opener.

mainejeff
August 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Crowds around 5,000? :lmao:

ChickenMan
August 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM

NCAA '03 stats... Northeastern averaged 4,186... 4,648 in '02...;)

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2003/2003footballattendance.pdf

Tilldog40
August 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
NU isn't hoping to make things difficult for GSU, they want to win. MJ is a huge NU hater. He's also a raging homo.

Baldy
August 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
...for some reason NU's opponents seldom seem to play very well in that strange enviroment. I saw UD probably play their worst game in the last 30 yrs at Parson Field back in '01 and I wouldn't be surprised if NU makes things very uncomfortable for GSU in their season opener.

If you think NU is a strange environment, go watch a game at FIU. xidiotx

X-Factor
August 7th, 2005, 08:50 PM

I dunno if you could call that a crowd.

MR. CHICKEN
August 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM
TWO'S UH PARTY....THREE OR MO'S UH CROWD......:D.......BAWK!

jmuroller
August 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Northeastern is a hard place to play. There doesn't have to be 20k screaming fans to make it a hard place to play.

DFW HOYA
August 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Aside from Kehoe Field at Georgetown (which was situated on the roof of a building), Parsons Field is as unique a home field as there is in I-AA.

It's right in the middle of a residential area. The place can hold up to 7,000, but the permanent seats feature only five rows of seats beneath the press box:

http://gonu.com/facilities/parsons.html

The Huskies know the surroundings better than anyone and the turf gives them an advantage as well. But don't even think about finding a place to park. Take the T and walk up the hill.

DemiGS
August 7th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I certainly hope no one on the GSU squad is looking past NU. I have a feeling they aren't though. We will be bringing our share of question marks to Boston for the opener. The biggest is probably our new QB. The kid looks extraordinarily talented, but who can really know if he will be able to run our offense in game conditions, on the road, and against an unfamiliar opponent.

Kill'em
August 7th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Aside from Kehoe Field at Georgetown (which was situated on the roof of a building), Parsons Field is as unique a home field as there is in I-AA.

It's right in the middle of a residential area. The place can hold up to 7,000, but the permanent seats feature only five rows of seats beneath the press box:

The Huskies know the surroundings better than anyone and the turf gives them an advantage as well. But don't even think about finding a place to park. Take the T and walk up the hill.
I would find it hard to see anyone having an advantage over us on turf...unless it's wet or icy.

Tribe4SF
August 8th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Looked at an aerial photo of Parsons. Going this year for the first time. Where is the parking! :eek:

MR. CHICKEN
August 8th, 2005, 06:57 AM
LEAVE DUH WHEELS IN DUH DRIVEWAY.......TAKE DUH BUS..CHIEF!......AWK!
:nod::rotateh::bow::rotateh::nod:

Umass74
August 8th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Looked at an aerial photo of Parsons. Going this year for the first time. Where is the parking!

There is none.

All parking is on residential streets. Also, remember the locals are not happy about you parking in "their" spot in front of their house. If you attempt to park and someone objects, it would be best to move on and not argue......

This is working class Boston and sometimes arguments get settled with Louisville Sluggers :o

Tribe4SF
August 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM
There is none.

All parking is on residential streets. Also, remember the locals are not happy about you parking in "their" spot in front of their house. If you attempt to park and someone objects, it would be best to move on and not argue......

This is working class Boston and sometimes arguments get settled with Louisville Sluggers :o

Do any of them sell parking? I'd give them enough to buy a new Louisville Slugger! :cool:

MR. CHICKEN
August 8th, 2005, 07:45 AM
BETTERAH BRING DUH BAT WHIFF YA.........HUSKIE FANS......SHHEEEESHHHH!....TAKE DERE SPOT AN' YA GONNA LOSE DUH ANTENNA.........FOUR WIDE OVALS.........AN' YA'LL BE KEYED....FROM HOOD TA TRUNK!..............HOWEVERAH...GO AN' HAVE UH GREAT TIME!...........:p.................BRAWK!

Umass74
August 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
I've been to Parsons four or five times. If there are only adults in your party, then I suggest you park at a "T" station and ride the T in. Instructions are on Northeastern's website.

If you are bringing kids with blankets, coolers and crap, then you can find a parking space if you drive around long enough (and you can parallel park).

89Hen
August 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Hofstra vs Maine (Nov 6, 2004 at Orono, Maine)
Attendance: 4239

New Hampshire vs Maine (Nov 20, 2004 at Orono, Maine)
Attendance: 4301

FightinBluHen51
August 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
An interesting opener... 9/3 in Boston. On paper GSU looks like the obvious choice... but NU has been very tough at Parson Field. I just checked their record at home since '01 and they're 20-4 with one of those wins being UD's only loss of the '03 season. Parson Field is a tough place to play... a small HS like stadium with crowds around 5,000 and for some reason NU's opponents seldom seem to play very well in that strange enviroment. I saw UD probably play their worst game in the last 30 yrs at Parson Field back in '01 and I wouldn't be surprised if NU makes things very uncomfortable for GSU in their season opener.
Let us never speak of that 0 yard passing day and less than 100 yards of net total offense day again.

Tilldog40
August 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM
That picture only shows one side of the field. There is a whole other side of seating on the other side. Some photos don't show the homeside bleachers up because they take them down for baseball. There is parking along the baseball field but I beleive those are all spoken for. Brookline people don't swing bats at people, so cut that nonsense out. Parsons field is small but is also a very friendly environment which also lets you get incredibly close to the game. Who cares how big it is when you are basically sitting on the sideline of the field. I hope GSU fans stick around and have a few drinks after the game or go out and see Boston. I hope its a great game and look forward to meeting GSU fans. I wonder if there will be more GSU fans than NU fans there?

ChiefGSU275
August 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I am not sure of the numbers, but there should be a good GSU contingent there. I unfortunately will not make it, but I will be watching and rooting for my eagles.

Rumor is that NU is breaking in a new qb as well...should be interesting to see which qb makes the bigger impact in their first start!

Mr. C
August 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I would find it hard to see anyone having an advantage over us on turf...unless it's wet or icy.
Unless, of course, you are talking about the field turf at Appalachian State's Kidd Brewer Stadium. The Eagles have had their troubles up in Boone over the years.

Baldy
August 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Unless, of course, you are talking about the field turf at Appalachian State's Kidd Brewer Stadium. The Eagles have had their torubles up in Boone over the years.

True, we have only two wins in Boone, but I seriously doubt it's because of the carpet, or do we need to credit App's 1-6 record in Statesboro to the natural grass surface? ;)

Kill'em
August 9th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Unless, of course, you are talking about the field turf at Appalachian State's Kidd Brewer Stadium. The Eagles have had their torubles up in Boone over the years.
You got it.

Husky Alum
August 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Some of us have the ability to park in the end zone at Parsons. Its quite a nice view of the game. There's not going to be a ton of on the street parking the day of the game because the Red Sox are playing the Orioles, and I think the NU game starts at 2 and the Sox game at 1.

ashram
August 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM
So...How do you tailgate if you can't park anywhere?

ChickenMan
August 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
So...How do you tailgate if you can't park anywhere?

http://www.lozoodiverona.it/photos/Londra%20-%20Cheers%2002.jpg

indoors... :D

soweagle
August 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Husky,
How close to Fenway is Parsons? I assume close if the street parking will be limited b/c of the Red Sox game.

FightinBluHen51
August 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Some of us have the ability to park in the end zone at Parsons. Its quite a nice view of the game. There's not going to be a ton of on the street parking the day of the game because the Red Sox are playing the Orioles, and I think the NU game starts at 2 and the Sox game at 1.

Sure about that? The O's are the skids and on the way down to the basement, per usual. No one will be going to Fenway that weekend.

Umass74
August 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM
No one will be going to Fenway that weekend.

You don't know the Red Sox Nation. It will be a sellout or close to a sellout.

RatboyNU
August 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Every game for the past 200 games has been a sellout it doesnt matter who the Redsox are playing theres going to be the same crowd every game. As for the bats comment Brookline is a highly populated Jewish neighborhood and very rich real estate i doubt anyone int here right mind would do anything in a town where crime doesnt even exist.Michael Dukakis lives right down the street from Parsons field in a mansion on kent st and this guy is talking about baseball bats? Brookline is not boston its far from it.

GaSouthern
August 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
This will be the lowest (not counting SDSU) traveling GSU game this year, obviously, and alot of die hards including myself will not be making it to the game this year. I will be watching and taping this game on TV for sure though!

JohnStOnge
August 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
One thing good for NU is that they have several weeks to prepare for GSU's offense.

Punchykky
August 9th, 2005, 07:39 PM
You don't know the Red Sox Nation. It will be a sellout or close to a sellout.

Aren't the Red Sox leading their division? I believe so, because my wife really rubs it in about the Red Sox and Patriots; she's from Boston and I'm a Yankee and Steeler fan! :(

Punchykky
August 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM
UMass is the usual 1AA powerhouse football team up in the northeast, right? :confused:

mainejeff
August 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I'm a homo?

Come on tilldog....is there any need of that? :rolleyes:

umassfan
August 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM
UMass is the usual 1AA powerhouse football team up in the northeast, right? :confused:
where did this come from?

Baldy
August 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
This will be the lowest (not counting SDSU) traveling GSU game this year, obviously, and alot of die hards including myself will not be making it to the game this year. I will be watching and taping this game on TV for sure though!

I'm going to both, I'll cheer for ya fellow Eagle!

GSUBass
August 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM
i'm hoping to make it to SDSU...we'll see.

Husky Alum
August 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Baldy, feel free to stop by the end zone at Parsons for a cold frosty one and a bite to eat before the game.

blueballs
August 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Okay... now that we see a couple of NU supporters here, and I'm sure the GSU faithful appreciate your hospitality, what should we expect from your Huskies come Sept.3???

Husky Alum
August 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Big veteran offensive line, good running attack, a great wide receiver in Cory Parks and a freshman QB starting his first game. If the QB doesn't make a ton of mistakes, NU will score points this year.

We lost most of our defensive backfield and linebackers from last year but have most of the D-line back. The team will go as far as its defense will carry it, but I'm not expecting much.

This is going to be a relatively young Northeastern team that even when loaded with experience has had trouble with the option.

As the NDSU supporters will tell you, a Rocky Hager coached team will be disciplined and tough, but it's tough to coach experience, and with a new QB, it could be a long day for the Huskies.

GSU 42
NU 17

Baldy
August 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Big veteran offensive line, good running attack, a great wide receiver in Cory Parks and a freshman QB starting his first game. If the QB doesn't make a ton of mistakes, NU will score points this year.

We lost most of our defensive backfield and linebackers from last year but have most of the D-line back. The team will go as far as its defense will carry it, but I'm not expecting much.

This is going to be a relatively young Northeastern team that even when loaded with experience has had trouble with the option.

As the NDSU supporters will tell you, a Rocky Hager coached team will be disciplined and tough, but it's tough to coach experience, and with a new QB, it could be a long day for the Huskies.

GSU 42
NU 17

To me it looks like a tough match-up. Our weaknesses matches up with your strengths and vice-versa. The Huskies have a big and experienced O-line while we will have 4 new starters on the DL. HU has inexperience at the LB and DB positions while our linebackers are strong and our entire defensive secondary were either 1st or 2nd team all SoCon. We will also be starting a new QB this year, but he was the freshman of the year in the SoCon last season and scored TD's five different ways.

Your 42-17 prediction is wishful thinking on my part. I expect nothing but a very close game.

BTW, thanks for the invite Alum. We will be sure to look you guys up. When it gets closer to gameday we will have to make arrangements.

GaSouthern
August 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I gotta go with my eagles for the win but I say this will be a highly offensive game with a nice show from both new QB's

I say
35-28 Eagles

RatboyNU
August 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
with a complete verteran offensive line that may be the best in the conference and definetely one of the best receivers in the conference your only giving NU 17 points? Keep in mind Southern has lost there ENTIRE DEFENSIVE LINE goin g against a veteran O-Line and they lost a star Linebacker. Not even NU fans are showing this offense any respect.

Sam Adams
August 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Sure about that? The O's are the skids and on the way down to the basement, per usual. No one will be going to Fenway that weekend.

Fenway will be jam packed - the Sox always sell out and the team is starting to play like a defending world champion.

90% of Boston and New England will be tuned into the Sox, but I think this will be a very interesting football game. 2 good teams. NU is sort of an erratic team in that they can look unbeatable 1 week and play terribly the next. I expect Coach Hager will get more consistency out of them this season and with that O Line they could really surprise some people if the new QB can run the offense.

Baldy
August 10th, 2005, 11:19 PM
with a complete verteran offensive line that may be the best in the conference and definetely one of the best receivers in the conference your only giving NU 17 points? Keep in mind Southern has lost there ENTIRE DEFENSIVE LINE goin g against a veteran O-Line and they lost a star Linebacker. Not even NU fans are showing this offense any respect.

Keep in mind GSU will have (arguably) the best defensive secondary in the nation this season. You won't see many teams, if any, throw the ball with much consistancy this year. As any old coach will tell you, the best defense against the pass is a good pass rush. The opposite is true also. A weak secondary is helped by a strong pass rush just like a weak DL is helped by a great secondary.

We did lose a great LB, but we bring 2 great ones back. We have a new QB, but he will be fronted by the best OL GSU has seen in many years. There are many question marks for both teams. At the moment, this game feels like it will be more like a scrimmage than an actual football game.

With NU starting a very green QB having to face a secondary as veteran and as good as GSU's, anything more than 17 points will suprise me. Then again GSU will have a very similar problem. I expect a very competitive and very low scoring game.

Honestly, the best strategy for NU is to just hand the ball to your RB and attack the DL

eagleskins
August 11th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Keep in mind GSU will have (arguably) the best defensive secondary in the nation this season. You won't see many teams, if any, throw the ball with much consistancy this year. As any old coach will tell you, the best defense against the pass is a good pass rush. The opposite is true also. A weak secondary is helped by a strong pass rush just like a weak DL is helped by a great secondary.

We did lose a great LB, but we bring 2 great ones back. We have a new QB, but he will be fronted by the best OL GSU has seen in many years. There are many question marks for both teams. At the moment, this game feels like it will be more like a scrimmage than an actual football game.

With NU starting a very green QB having to face a secondary as veteran and as good as GSU's, anything more than 17 points will suprise me. Then again GSU will have a very similar problem. I expect a very competitive and very low scoring game.

Honestly, the best strategy for NU is to just hand the ball to your RB and attack the DL

GSU will score 35+. Great Oline, the best RB in the country and great slot backs. Not to mention Teddy Craft and Smoke Foster.

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Smoke is untested as a starting QB, and the slots are extremely talented and fast, but they are still young and first year starters as well. However, I do agree to a point. If Jayson plays like we all know he can, and Maynard & Jefferson build on their success as backups from last season, we'll be fine. I don't think our D will be as good as last years (overall), but if Smoke and the Slots can live up to 1/2 of the hype, it won't matter.

winstoneagle
August 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I am very concerned about our D line. Our LB's will be fine, and our secondary will be outstanding, espically with AJ patrolling center field. Our slots are probably the best tandem we've had ever. Jayson will need to step up early and make some plays.

blueballs
August 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
NE having inexperience, especially against the option and especially at the speed GSU runs it, at the LB and DB positions might spell big plays on the outside as guys break their discipline and miss assignments.

I'm not overly worried about Smiley or Foster at QB, but the new DL concerns me greatly. If the DL steps up, and they might have more overall talent than last year, then GSU will be very, very dangerous.

If I'm NE's OC, I'm watching that game film from the UNH playoff game as UNH was able to run the ball against GSU and that might be their ticket.

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I'm not that concerned about the D-Line. I'm sure we'll have our early season struggles, but Coach Pate seems to be very confident in their abilities and talent. Jefferson & Maynard could and should be a very dangerous tandem. Again, Foster might have some early season struggles, but from what I saw in the Spring, he could be the most dangerous QB we have had in many many years. His athleticism, speed, and quickness are unparalleled.

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 09:09 AM
NE having inexperience, especially against the option and especially at the speed GSU runs it

I really don't know too much about what N'eastern has coming back on 'D'... but they do have some experience vs the option... as they played both Navy and URI last year. While URI's option isn't in the class of GSU... Navy's certainly is and N'eastern didn't do too bad vs the Middies in their 28-24 lost at Annapolis last year.

winstoneagle
August 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
with all due respect to Navy, they dont have near the athletes we do. Both of our slotbacks run in the 4.35 range, and our QB will run in the low 4.4's.

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM
with all due respect to Navy, they dont have near the athletes we do. Both of our slotbacks run in the 4.35 range, and our QB will run in the low 4.4's.

With all due respect to GSU... I saw both teams live last year and you either over-rate your talent or are under-rating Navy's. Navy's OL was better... their FB Eckel was better than Austin and their QB Palanco was far more efficient than Williams. Don't forget Navy was a pretty decent 1A team last year and they didn't get there having less talent than GSU.

Eagle_77
August 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM
With all due respect to GSU... I saw both teams live last year and you either over-rate your talent or are under-rating Navy's. Navy's OL was better... their FB Eckel was better than Austin and their QB Palanco was far more efficent than Williams. Don't forget Navy was a pretty decent 1A team last year and they didn't get there having less talent than GSU.

Navy is a very good football team but your eyes or your knowledge has failed you on this. I think if the two teams would have played last year it would have been a very good game. Navy's OL may have been better but Eckel is not as good as Austin. Palanco may have been a better passer than Williams but in no way was he better at running the option. Since Coach Johnson has left for Navy I follow them as closely has I can and watched both teams myself last year on several occasions. I’m not sure which game of GSU's you saw "live" but you may have wanted to see more than one game from each school before you make judgments.

And as far as over-rating our talent? Only team in the nation with Top 5 offense and defense? Come on now.

URI runs the same offense but is not comparable. Navy and us are very close as far as what we get out of our offenses but the two teams still do it in different ways. Navy does it with perfect execution and discipline where GSU does it with speed, speed, and more speed. GSU can over come a mistake with its speed where Navy is not as fast so they just don’t make as many mistakes. This is what I have gathered from watching both teams.

And before someone tries to make it out like I am talking smack about Navy just wanted to clear up that I have great respect for Coach Johnson and what he has done for that program. I hope he can continue winning and continue bring Navy back to the top of the football world.

Tilldog40
August 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
The problem with having am inexperienced d-line is that it makes a long day for your linebackers when they allow o-lineman to get out there and make blocks. I think NU is going to run the ball fine and short pass to make things easy on a new QB against a great secondary. Then again a couple of long tosses couldn't hurt either. I'm hoping for a great game. I'm excited to play GSU. There should be more A-10 v. SoCon Games.

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM
With all due respect to GSU... I saw both teams live last year and you either over-rate your talent or are under-rating Navy's. Navy's OL was better... their FB Eckel was better than Austin and their QB Palanco was far more efficient than Williams. Don't forget Navy was a pretty decent 1A team last year and they didn't get there having less talent than GSU.

Well, CM. GSU was playing UGA and Navy was playing UD. There's a little bit of a difference in competition. ;)

Also when you saw GSU, Chaz was the QB, not Foster. Anderson and Davis were the Slots, not Maynard and Jefferson.
Truth be known (and this is only my opinion), Chaz, TJ Anderson and Kevin Davis are nowhere near as fast nor the pure raw athletes that Foster, Jefferson, and Maynard are.

Umass74
August 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I'm not talking smack here, but didn't UNH do an outstanding job on the GSU offense last year?

Northeastern's defense is as good as or better than UNH.

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Well, CM. GSU was playing UGA and Navy was playing UD. There's a little bit of a difference in competition. ;)

Your welcome to your opinion but I'd say Eckel (2,400 yrds over the past two seasons vs far better competition) is every bit as good Austin and while Polanco may not be as athletic as Williams... he was a more efficent QB. As I stated earlier... Navy was 16-6 vs 1A competition over the last two seasons... ironically that's the same mark GSU had vs 1AA opponents. I do believe that stat alone might lead a 'resonable' to believe that Navy was probably the stronger program over the past two years.

Eagle_77
August 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM
UNH did do very well against GSU in the second half. We basically did what we wanted to in the first half. Some GSU fans will argue as to why UNH did so well but I am glad you brought this up. While UNH did well against GSU, UNH will not be on the field against GSU on Sept 3rd. UNH was in the playoffs last year because they were a very good team. NE wasnt so good and was not in the post season. So what the hell does UNH have to do with this thread?

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I just wanted to add that I'm not taking any shot at GSU. They have a great offense... one that would give most opponents 1A or 1AA... a lot of problems. I just honestly believe that Navy was better than many GSU fans think.

Tilldog40
August 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM
NU lost to UNH on the last play of the game last year.

Umass74
August 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
So what the hell does UNH have to do with this thread?

Well, it was a common opponent for one thing.

A10 Stats last year:

TOTAL DEFENSE

#4 Northeastern 340 yrds/game
#12 New Hampshire 404 yrds/game

PASSING DEFENSE

#5 Northeastern 202 yrds/game
#12 New Hampshire 253 yrds/game

RUSHING DEFENSE

#4 Northeastern 138 yrds/game
#7 New Hampshire 151 yrds/game

SCORING DEFENSE

#4 Northeastern 25.1 pts/game
#5 New Hampshire 26.1 pts/game

UNH's last in the A10 total defense, didn't do bad against GSU. On their home field, I think Northeastern has a chance to do well also...

youwouldno
August 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM
NU will have to run the ball effectively. GSU is usually so dangerous because their O-line and option attack wears down defenses and thus makes the offense more potent every drive. NU has to keep their offense on the field as much as possible.

GSU's secondary is being overrated by some Eagle fans. Those guys need the D-line and LBs to apply pressure. Any good QB with time to throw will beat the opposing secondary, especially the way games are officiated these days. Furman's secondary was superb last year but still got picked apart by Williams, whereas GSU contained him because of D-line play.

GSU is a major favorite in this one... my guess would be 35-24, but that margin could be wider if NU's offense struggles and leaves the D out to dry.

Tilldog40
August 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
A NU game has never been broken down like this before or gotten much hype. I love it.

Eagle_77
August 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Your welcome to your opinion but I'd say Eckel (2,400 yrds over the past two seasons vs far better competition) is every bit as good Austin and while Polanco may not be as athletic as Williams... he was a more efficent QB. As I stated earlier... Navy was 16-6 vs 1A competition over the last two seasons... ironically that's the same mark GSU had vs 1AA opponents. I do believe that stat alone might lead a 'resonable' to believe that Navy was probably the stronger program over the past two years.

Austin has 2,457 yards and 11 touchdowns in the past two seasons. That’s with Austin missing nearly 1/3 of the season with injury in 04 and having an off year. Austin has 3,873 rushing yards in his 3-year career and after the first game of the season will only sit behind AP on our career-rushing list. You may not be a big fan but the people of the SoCon will tell you just how good this guy is. A 5,000-yard career is very much in reach for Austin and you don’t get that way by being an OK back.

Once again no disrespect against Navy but you mentioned that they did so well in I-A but lets really look at their opponents.

Duke 2-9 113 in rushing defense. Eckel 23-100 4.34
Northeastern 5-6 46 (I-AA) rushing defense. Eckel 18-55 3.05ypc
Tulsa 4-8 155 in rushing defense. Eckel 23-98 3.5ypc
Vanderbilt 2-9 97 in rushing defense. Eckel 14-37 2.64ypc
Air Force 5-6 102 in rushing defense. Eckel 21-97 4.62 ypc
Notre Dame 6-5 9 in rushing defense. Eckel 22-102 4.64ypc
Rice 3-8 59 in rushing defense. Eckel 10-32 3.2ypc
Delaware 9-4 41(I-AA) in rushing defense. Eckel 23-143 6.22ypc
Tulane 5-6 98 in rushing defense. Eckel 16-76 4.75ypc
Rutgers 4-7 78 in rushing defense. Eckel 15-143 9.53ypc
Army 2-9 117 in rushing defense. Eckel 26-182 7ypc
New Mexico 6-5 7 in rushing defense. Eckel 24-85 3.54ypc

They played 3 teams all year with winning records with one being you guys, which just so happen to have the best record. The combined record of their opponents was 41-72 with you guys helping them out a lot. That’s a 36% winning percentage. They only played two opponents in I-A with defenses that ranked in the Top 50 out of 119 teams and they were Notre Dame, which they lost to, and New Mexico, which they beat in the bowl. Eckel rushed for 55 yards and 3.05ypc against Northeastern. I will bet you that if Austin plays the whole game and does not get hurt that he will beat that mark. If I am wrong I will not post again until the week we play our homecoming.

Navy is a very good football team but it is very likely you guys were one of the top 2-3 teams they played all year. Eckel shredded you guys which makes it where I can understand your reason for argument. But for the remainder of the year he was rushing against most of I-A’s bottom feeders.

Do you really feel that this is "far better competition "?

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Duke 2-9 113 in rushing defense. Eckel 23-100 4.34
Northeastern 5-6 46 (I-AA) rushing defense. Eckel 18-55 3.05ypc
Tulsa 4-8 155 in rushing defense. Eckel 23-98 3.5ypc
Vanderbilt 2-9 97 in rushing defense. Eckel 14-37 2.64ypc
Air Force 5-6 102 in rushing defense. Eckel 21-97 4.62 ypc
Notre Dame 6-5 9 in rushing defense. Eckel 22-102 4.64ypc
Rice 3-8 59 in rushing defense. Eckel 10-32 3.2ypc
Delaware 9-4 41(I-AA) in rushing defense. Eckel 23-143 6.22ypc
Tulane 5-6 98 in rushing defense. Eckel 16-76 4.75ypc
Rutgers 4-7 78 in rushing defense. Eckel 15-143 9.53ypc
Army 2-9 117 in rushing defense. Eckel 26-182 7ypc
New Mexico 6-5 7 in rushing defense. Eckel 24-85 3.54ypc

Do you really feel that this is "far better competition "?

compared to GSU opponents over the past two years...

Chattanooga
FIU
WCU
Savannah St
Wofford
Citadel
ESTU
Elon
Johnson C Smith
SDST
UGA
McNeese
Furman
ASU
UNH

YES... :D

PS... no knock at Austin... he's very good... but so is Eckel

eaglesrthe1
August 11th, 2005, 02:41 PM
This will be answered in just a coupla weeks. Austin is gonna romp. :D

Proud Griz Man
August 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
NU isn't hoping to make things difficult for GSU, they want to win. MJ is a huge NU hater. He's also a raging homo.

MJ is always Ranting and Raving, and now Raging? You're too much Tilldog.

Back to the legimate topic. Never underestimate GSU. Never.

Eagle_77
August 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Well being that I didn’t break it down for the last two years I will do the comparison for GSU. Here is what Austin did last year in playing in 9 games with limited playing time in 2 of the 9.

UGA 9-2 19 in rushing defense (I-A). Austin 6-33 5.5ypc. (Got hurt in 1st half)
Johnson C. Smith 0-10. ? Austin did not play
Wofford 8-3 31 in rushing defense. Austin did not play
Chattanooga 2-9 119 in rushing defense. Austin 8-167 20.9ypc
Elon 3-8 84 in rushing defense. Austin did not play
Western Carolina 4-7 47 in rushing defense. Austin 17-130 7.65ypc
App St 6-5 101 in rushing defense. Austin ?-123
Citadel 3-7 94 in rushing defense. Austin 12-44 3.66ypc
South Dakota St 6-5 25 in rushing defense. Austin 16-115 7.1ypc
Furman 10-3 72 in rushing defense. Austin 25-114 4.56ypc
Florida International 3-7 83 in rushing defense (I-A). Austin 24-147 6.13ypc
New Hampshire 10-3 88 in rushing defense. Austin ?-123

Ok that’s 6 teams with winning records. Opponents combined record was 64-69. That’s a 48% winning percentage. I feel that we had 3-4 teams on our schedule that could have posted winning records with the same schedule Navy had last year. Austin played in 9 of 12 games and still rushed for nearly 1000 yards. GSU and Austin faced 2 I-A defenses and 2 defenses in the top 50 in I-AA. Furman was not one of the Top 50! If you think that Navy’s opponents were so much better than GSU’s then you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t see where it was that much better. Both GSU and Delaware would have posted winning records with Navy’s schedule and I hope you know that.

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
If you think that Navy’s opponents were so much better than GSU’s then you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t see where it was that much better. Both GSU and Delaware would have posted winning records with Navy’s schedule and I hope you know that.

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree... but it seems pretty obvious to me that 1A programs like:

New Mexico
Duke
Rice
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Tulsa
Army

while hardly powerhouses... they plus... Notre Dame and Air Force... are vastly superior to these very average to poor 1AA programs:

Chattanooga
ETSU
WCU
Savannah St
Johnson C Smith
Wofford
SDST
Citadel
Elon
ASU
FIU

wouldn't you agree???

Proud Griz Man
August 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM
McNeese? Average?

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM
McNeese? Average?

nope... that's why I edited them out... ;)

youwouldno
August 11th, 2005, 06:03 PM
JC Smith is NAIA...

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 07:15 PM
JC Smith is NAIA...

JC Smith is DII.

youwouldno
August 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Oops, my B. They aren't good in Div II are they?

Sam Adams
August 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I envision Coach Hager's game plan to be to run it right up the gut of the gsu defense until that inexperienced gsu dline shows it can stop the run. If gsu can't stop the big experienced NU Oline and Running attack then gsu's great secondary will not figger much in the outcome.

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Oops, my B. They aren't good in Div II are they?

No and they wouldn't be good in NAIA, either. :)

Baldy
August 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I envision Coach Hager's game plan to be to run it right up the gut of the gsu defense until that inexperienced gsu dline shows it can stop the run. If gsu can't stop the big experienced NU Oline and Running attack then gsu's great secondary will not figger much in the outcome.

I wouldn't exactly call GSU's D-Line "inexperienced". We won't be starting 4 Freshmen or anything. Of the 4 projected starters, 3 played in all 12 games last season, the 4th played in 8, and all 4 spent most of last season on the 2-deep.

ndsubison
August 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't exactly call GSU's D-Line "inexperienced". We won't be starting 4 Freshmen or anything. Of the 4 projected starters, 3 played in all 12 games last season, the 4th played in 8, and all 4 spent most of last season on the 2-deep.

AAHHHH, Rocky Hager. Former NDSU head coach with 2 NC's. It will be nice welcoming him back home and handing him and his NE boys their a$$es. We in Fargo love Rocky but once it's "game on" there are no sympathies.

NDSU Bison
2005 Great West Champions
2008 playoff eligible

Eagle_77
August 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Maybe we will have to agree to disagree... but it seems pretty obvious to me that 1A programs like:

New Mexico
Duke
Rice
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Tulsa
Army

while hardly powerhouses... they plus... Notre Dame and Air Force... are vastly superior to these very average to poor 1AA programs:

Chattanooga
ETSU
WCU
Savannah St
Johnson C Smith
Wofford
SDST
Citadel
Elon
ASU
FIU

wouldn't you agree???

I love the way you just keep bringing in stuff from 2 and 3 years ago. I thought I clearly talked about last year or this upcomming year.

While ASU has had a couple of off years you are going to call them an Average to poor I-AA team? Wofford got beat by you guys in the Simi's two years ago and finished 8-3 last year and they are average to poor? Wow you dont know as much about this football stuff as you make yourself sound.

In this time we have also played McNeese, Furman, UGA, and New Hampshire. If we want to start pointing fingers at weak opponents your closet isnt completely clear either. We all know that the A-10 is superior and is head and shoulders above the rest. So lets keep this on track.

And no I dont think that the very bottom of I-A is that much better than I-AA. We have all argued that the bottom of I-A and the middle to top of I-AA is very competitive. Army 2-9, Duke 2-9, Vanderbilt 2-9, Rice 3-8, and Tulsa 4-8 I would not put above many teams on our schedule. Yes New Mexico and Notre Dame are a step above these others but come on. Just because they have the I-A status doesnt atuomatically make them better. You guys and Northeastern have proven that there wasnt much difference by giving Navy good games. Hell both of you guys gave them better games than Duke, Tulsa, Rutgers, Army, and New Mexico.

Tulane passed all over Navy. That makes me think that App St could have keep up with Navy because lets face it it would have been a shoot out because App St didnt stop many people last year. Other passing teams on our schedule that could have played with Navy are Western Carolina, Furman, Florida International and New Hampshire. Now I dont think that all of these teams would have beat Navy but at least could have keep the game close. I'm leaving UGA out of all of this because they are way above any team that we have mentioned yet.

I just dont get your argument? Are you saying that all these teams are better than you guys just because they are I-A when you guys gave Navy a good game? Delaware and Northeastern should be supporting my argument because you proved that there isnt much difference between the two.

ChickenMan
August 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
This is way too much about nothing... my original post...

I really don't know too much about what N'eastern has coming back on 'D'... but they do have some experience vs the option... as they played both Navy and URI last year. While URI's option isn't in the class of GSU... Navy's certainly is and N'eastern didn't do too bad vs the Middies in their 28-24 lost at Annapolis last year.

the point was that Navy's offense was certainly as good as GSU's and I'll stand by that... ;)

Eagle_77
August 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Someone makes a few good points and then???? lol

Well this will be settled soon enough. Last year we had one of the Top 5 offenses in the nation and I will just have to disagree with you. Although we will not have the same offense at least Northeasthern can see the speed we run it at and let them settle if it is the same offense or not.

ChickenMan
August 12th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Someone makes a few good points and then???? lol

Now you forced to me respond... :D

Army 2-9, Duke 2-9, Vanderbilt 2-9, Rice 3-8, and Tulsa 4-8 I would not put above many teams on our schedule.

I only see three (UGA, UNH, Furman) out of the 15 below listed teams that would have had reasonable shot at winning vs any of the above 1A teams last year...

Chattanooga
FIU
WCU
Savannah St
Wofford
Citadel
ESTU
Elon
Johnson C Smith
SDST
UGA
McNeese
Furman
ASU
UNH

Eagle_77
August 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I knew that I could keep you going on this. Not many people will debate with me this long. lol

Well I see a few that I will disagree with you on. I saw most of these teams in person and maybe got a little better look.

But hey I guess that 5-6 or 4-7 is a better record in the A-10 than in any other confernce.

charliej
August 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I dunno if you could call that a crowd.

For NU it is ;)

All kidding aside,Parsons Field does have a way of getting into the kids heads. I guess distracting would be the best description I could give.

ChickenMan
August 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Looking forward to the GSU/N'eastern game on TV. I really have no idea as to what to expect... but NU IS a tough place to play. Both teams will have inexperienced QBs so most anything might happen... but if GSU doesn't turn it over too much... they should be able to come away with the win.

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 10:15 PM
But hey I guess that 5-6 or 4-7 is a better record in the A-10 than in any other confernce.

No one will disagree with this. Also keep in mind that a 5-6 A-10 team is quite capable of beating any team that brings their b game. Ain't no Elon's in the A-10.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 12:58 AM
For NU it is ;)

All kidding aside,Parsons Field does have a way of getting into the kids heads. I guess distracting would be the best description I could give.
I guess Parsons is scary than playing on Black Saturday at Appalachian State's noisy Kidd Brewer Stadium, venturing into Furman's Paladin Stadium, or surviving the heat and the corps of cadets at The Citadel's Johnson-Hagood Stadium? It's not like Georgia Southern isn't used to playing in some of the best I-AA venues in the country.

Eagle22
August 13th, 2005, 01:24 AM
I guess Parsons is scary than playing on Black Saturday at Appalachian State's noisy Kidd Brewer Stadium, venturing into Furman's Paladin Stadium, or surviving the heat and the corps of cadets at The Citadel's Johnson-Hagood Stadium? It's not like Georgia Southern isn't used to playing in some of the best I-AA venues in the country.

GSU has had some of it's toughest games on the road, before crowds disguised as empty bleachers.

A look back at the 2001 season .. a year we had a very strong team ... shows three sparsely attended games that were tougher than expected.

The well chronicled loss @ ETSU, the near disaster @ Elon and a less than inspiring win over VMI (31-14) in a year the Keydets went 1-10.

Sometimes the venue does make a difference ... and sometimes things being too quiet can be more scary than 16,000 screaming fans.

ChickenMan
August 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Maybe you have never been to Parson Field... but it's nothing like the venues you just described in the SoCon... in fact it's pretty much the direct opposite and that's the real danger. There really isn't much of a 'football' atmospher at Parson... the facilitiy is small and crowds are smaller and opposition teams seem to have real trouble playing their 'A' game in that enviroment. I have seen UD play at NU on numerous occasions and the Hens have seldom played well at Parson Field. I can't explain why... but it's a reality and I believe that other A10 fans would agree that Parson Field is a tough place to get a win.

charliej
August 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Maybe you have never been to Parson Field... but it's nothing like the venues you just described in the SoCon... in fact it's pretty much the direct opposite and that's the real danger. There really isn't much of a 'football' atmospher at Parson... the facilitiy is small and crowds are smaller and opposition teams seem to have real trouble playing their 'A' game in that enviroment. I have seen UD play at NU on numerous occasions and the Hens have seldom played well at Parson Field. I can't explain why... but it's a reality and I believe that other A10 fans would agree that Parson Field is a tough place to get a win.

Thx Chickenman,you sum it up better than I could.To me It feels like your watching the game on the practice field :)

DemiGS
August 14th, 2005, 02:07 AM
For what its worth...
I attended the scrimmage today that capped the Eagle’s two-a-days and here are some thoughts:
Coach reported that he feels much better about the biggest question mark we had going into spring drill -- the QB. The guys performed decently today. I must admit that I didn't see many reps of the classic (formerly??) GSU option pitch. I hope coach isn't getting gun shy, because I saw plenty of toss sweeps in places where I would have expected the QB to scramble and make a decision. At the time I blamed it on the conditions, but in our playoff loss last season one could have counted the number of true option pitches on one hand of a bad shop teacher.

How is the new signal caller at NU progressing?

GSUBass
August 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
chattanooga may have a nice venue, but the team played in front of a lot of empty bleachers. I think the announced attendance was around 4k.

They played ok that day, almost 500 yards of offense by the half.

Then again, UTC is no NU.

Husky Alum
August 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Parsons Fiels is that anti-1 AA football experience, no denying it.

It would probably qualify as a piss poor HS football stadium in 90% of the former Confederacy, but it's our crappy stadium and we deal with it. If there's room for 60 cars to park, that's a lot. There are about 15 valuable parking spots in the far end zone where fans can actually set up and tailgate. I'm one of the fortunate ones who has the ability to do so.

Teams walk in to Parsons and have this "where's the stadium" look on its face, and when there are about 2,000-4,000 fans in the stands, it looks like a JV football game at times. NU fans can generally hear the DC yell at the team when the offense is on the field and hear him pretty clearly.

It's as unique a football experience as there is in 1-AA, just on the other end of the spectrum.

To make matters worse, the GSU game will take place

1. On Labor Day Weekend
2. On the weekend when 90% of all apartment leases in the city of Boston expire (it's the legendary "moving day" in Boston).
3. The same time as a Red Sox home game (220 straight sellouts)
4. Before classes start - the freshmen will be on campus, but I don't think upper classmen have to be on campus until Tuesday.

I'm guessing there will be more people at the game than normal for a home opener, but there will be plenty of seats available.

OL FU
August 15th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Parsons Fiels is that anti-1 AA football experience, no denying it.

It would probably qualify as a piss poor HS football stadium in 90% of the former Confederacy, but it's our crappy stadium and we deal with it. If there's room for 60 cars to park, that's a lot. There are about 15 valuable parking spots in the far end zone where fans can actually set up and tailgate. I'm one of the fortunate ones who has the ability to do so.

Teams walk in to Parsons and have this "where's the stadium" look on its face, and when there are about 2,000-4,000 fans in the stands, it looks like a JV football game at times. NU fans can generally hear the DC yell at the team when the offense is on the field and hear him pretty clearly.

It's as unique a football experience as there is in 1-AA, just on the other end of the spectrum.

1. On Labor Day Weekend
2. On the weekend when 90% of all apartment leases in the city of Boston expire (it's the legendary "moving day" in Boston).
4. Before classes start - the freshmen will be on campus, but I don't think upper classmen have to be on campus until Tuesday.

I'm guessing there will be more people at the game than normal for a home opener, but there will be plenty of seats available.

I can't imagine any of that will bother GSU. I hear they are a pretty good football team even on a practise field. :D

Eagle_77
August 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM
No one will disagree with this. Also keep in mind that a 5-6 A-10 team is quite capable of beating any team that brings their b game. Ain't no Elon's in the A-10.

Im sure that Rhode Island, Richmond, and Townson are just super programs that would have been 7-4 or 8-3 in any other leauge.

EagleCrusade
August 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM

1. On Labor Day Weekend

1. Is there a curse on Labor Day or something...its a Saturday
2. Are there apartments on the 50yrd line? How does that affect on-field play?
3. Red Sox play AL baseball.....somewhere not called Parsons Field. (220 straight sellouts could occur most anywhere in the smallest stadium in the ML)
4. I dont get that at all.

I think GS will need a qtr to get the offense clicking. If you can stop GS in that time, you have a chance. If you do not.....ouch.

Umass74
August 15th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Im sure that Rhode Island, Richmond, and Townson are just super programs that would have been 7-4 or 8-3 in any other leauge.

Townson was 0-8 in the A10. They were 3-0 OOC.

RadMann
August 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I'm not one to try to compare conferences generally. Each game is a unique event. That being said, Towson did not win any A-10 games last year but handily beat Elon 34 - 13 for what it is worth..

GSUISBACK
August 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Townson was 0-8 in the A10. They were 3-0 OOC.

Wow they beat Cornell, Elon and Bowie state(dII). I bet they dominate in Socon.

WMTribe90
August 15th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Dominate? Surely not the case. But it is interesting that our worst team (Towson) handily defeated teh SoCon's worst team (Elon). Towson was also .500 in their last year of the PL (2003). Just another indicator of the top to bottom strength of the A10.

Parsons field will lull a visiting team to sleep, especially a team used to playing in front of bigger/louder crowds. The lack of "atmosphere" doesn't seem to effect the home team though. NU is typically a physical team. If they can get a runnning game established and keep GSU's offense backed up and in their own end, I think they'll have a shot at the upset.

SpiritCymbal
August 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Perhaps we can get this back on track........

I'm really excited to see what GSU can do against another quality A-10 opponent. As for the size and emptiness of the stadium, don't think it will be much of a factor. Ga. Southern has played at several stadiums in the SoCon and around the south which seemed liked a home game for the Eagles simply b/c there were more GSU fans. Any game in Johnson City against ETSU is a good example of playing in a 1/4 full stadium.

And to settle the A-10 vs. SoCon arguement..........top to bottom the A-10 is MUCH MORE competitive than the SoCon. Not even close. Perhaps 5-10 years ago, the SoCon might have had the upper hand, but not anymore. The Atlantic 10 seemed to work hard at strengthening the conference from top to bottom with each school dedicated to do their part to add to that strength. While the SoCon, under the direction of Danny "Prettyboy" Morrison tried to weaken the football conference to appease the non-football schools. Pretty sad to see the SoCon go from one of the premiere football conferences to struggling by have 4 teams with a winning record.

GtFllsGriz
August 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Thank you AGS. This game was nowhere on my radar to watch until I read this thread. Now I am wondering if I can record it. That would not have happened without AGS. The score would have been something I scanned over in the small letters of of nationwide scores. You gotta love I-AA football and AGS!

Umass74
August 15th, 2005, 03:04 PM

gusisback:

Where did you get that??? I never said they would dominate in the Socon. GSU, Furman, Wofford and Appy are some of the top teams in the nation.

OTOH, I don't think they would finish last. Neither Rhode Island or Towson gives 63 scholarships. And Richmond is still working off the effects of a scholarship reduction a couple of years ago. Since Towson gave Delaware a hard time last year with only 40 scholarships, they might be real trouble when they hit 63 around 07 or 08...

SoCon48
August 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I'm not one to try to compare conferences generally. Each game is a unique event. That being said, Towson did not win any A-10 games last year but handily beat Elon 34 - 13 for what it is worth..

So did everybody else.