PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Leaf and the Montana Schools

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Since it's the down time, thought I'd bring up a conversation that has probably been asked before, but here it goes anyway. How do you Montana and Montana St. fans feel about Ryan Leaf?

I saw an ESPN story on him not long ago with DII school West Texas where he is a QB Coach I think. He mentioned wanting to one day return to Montana, either to coach at Montana or Montana St. I'm not trying to throw your coaches under the bus - both are great coaches of successful programs. But if this were to evolve, how long would it be until Ryan Leaf might be changing area codes and working back in his home state, and what would the reception be like among the fans?

Thanks for your local point of view!

SeattleGriz
May 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Since it's the down time, thought I'd bring up a conversation that has probably been asked before, but here it goes anyway. How do you Montana and Montana St. fans feel about Ryan Leaf?

I saw an ESPN story on him not long ago with DII school West Texas where he is a QB Coach I think. He mentioned wanting to one day return to Montana, either to coach at Montana or Montana St. I'm not trying to throw your coaches under the bus - both are great coaches of successful programs. But if this were to evolve, how long would it be until Ryan Leaf might be changing area codes and working back in his home state, and what would the reception be like among the fans?

He essentially disowned Montana when he graduated from high school by what he said about the state and his coaches at that high shool

While one should forgive and forget, he had a ton of support from the state and promptly crapped on us all.

The only way I could accept him is to consider that he was young then, and knocked down quite a few pegs since that time.

DunkandDukin
May 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
He essentially disowned Montana when he graduated from high school by what he said about the state and his coaches at that high shool

While one should forgive and forget, he had a ton of support from the state and promptly crapped on us all.

The only way I could accept him is to consider that he was young then, and knocked down quite a few pegs since that time.

Man, I didn't know he had crapped on an entire state as wellas all the rest of his antics. To say he was young may be the understatement of NFL history. He appears to have been "young" his entire pro career and younged himself right out of ever playing again. xrolleyesx

mlbowl
May 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Not a big fan...as SeattleGriz said...he pretty much disowned Montana

spelunker64
May 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
You said the RL word. xnonox

:pumpuke:

NE MT GRIZZ
May 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think his Grandkids will be welcome to coach in Montana.

He might have a better shot at one of the NAIA schools in MT.

appfan2008
May 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
that is sad to hear... he must have really screwed things up up there

griz8791
May 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
He essentially disowned Montana when he graduated from high school by what he said about the state and his coaches at that high school.

The high school program in which he played has been a powerful force in Montana AA football almost from the day it opened. During that time period, that program has had exactly one head coach. I have no axe to grind on this point, as CMR has administered several utterly humiliating beatdowns to the high school I attended and I have a long memory. The point is, they do an awful lot of winning there and send a lot of their guys on to play Division I football, so it was insane for Leaf to criticize that program or those coaches.

Fordham
May 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
That is too bad to hear. I was really impressed with how he handled himself in that ESPN interview, as well as what his HC had to say about him. He really came off as having matured a great deal, which is always good to see.

What did he say about Montana?

SeattleGriz
May 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
That is too bad to hear. I was really impressed with how he handled himself in that ESPN interview, as well as what his HC had to say about him. He really came off as having matured a great deal, which is always good to see.

From what I have been told, he said he wasn't from Montana.

I also understand he said that he didn't learn a thing from his high school coach. As griz8791 said, the CMR high school coach sends a ton of kids, by Montana standards, on to college football.

putter
May 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM

He was at a press conference, when he was being touted as the possible #1 pick, and was thanking all the people in and around Washington St and said that he was extremely happy to be from Washington and played for Washington St.

grizbeer
May 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
As a kid in Great Falls, Montana, Leaf would don his Steelers jersey, set the microwave timer and lead his own two-minute drill. Mouthpiece included. The drive always ended in a touchdown. "I'd dive over the couch, wreck lamps," he remembers. "I thought I was Terry Bradshaw. I'd sure like to meet him some day." Reality wasn't quite as kind. At Charles M. Russell High, Leaf's cockiness caused problems, particularly on the basketball court. If he wasn't making 360-degree dunks -- he has a 35-inch vertical -- Leaf was thundering down the court imitating a 747 after a basket. Once he gave a crowd the finger.

On the football field, Leaf led Russell to a state championship his junior year. But no all-state, no retired jersey. Part of it involved following a Montana legend. Before Leaf, Dave Dickenson, an honor student, led the school to two state championships. Dickenson then piloted Montana to a 1995 1-AA title. Leaf was Johnny Depp replacing Michael Landon. Bad blood lingers. When the Great Falls Tribune did a Heisman poll last year, some citizens wrote in trashing Leaf's attitude.

"They retired my jersey here at Washington State about two weeks ago," Leaf says, turning the whirlpool jets on full blast. "It brought me to tears, something I hadn't done since seventh grade. Then I was back home at Christmastime, and now they want to retire my jersey. It's like, 'You're kidding me.' I never want my jersey hanging up there." Leaf no longer goes to Great Falls. Instead, he drives his beat-up Isuzu Rodeo to his grandparents' cabin 50 miles outside of town. "When people ask where I'm from, I tell them Washington, because that's where I feel the most comforted by the people," Leaf says. He breaks into a goofy grin. "I tell people I'm grounded and humble because I'm from the state of Montana, and they made me that way."

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol1no03manningleaf.html

griz8791
May 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
My former boss lived on the Great Falls High side of town and both his kids were athletes there. He told me that one night at the cross-town basketball game he and his wife were sitting with the other GFH parents in the GFH seats, and there was a woman in front of them in CMR green and gold who was rabidly cheering for Great Falls High. That didn't add up so they tapped her on the shoulder and asked her what her deal was. She said she was a teacher at CMR and Ryan Leaf was in her first period ---- class (subject deleted to protect the innocent) so she had come to the game to root against him.

Wild story. Triple hearsay, and probably far too apocryphal to be true. But the fact that people still tell these kinds of stories about him will give you some sense of the warm regard in which he is held here.

grizbeer
May 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
in 1992 when Montana played at WSU I was living in the Puget Sound area and listened to the game on the cougars radio network. Late in the game Leaf came in, and Bob Robertson started talking about what a nice treat that was for Leaf and for the many Montana fans who had come to the game, when he was nearly drowned out by the chorus of boos from the Montana faithful when Leaf took the field.

Bob got angry and couldn't believe the Montana fans would hold it against Leaf that he went to WSU instead of UM. I don't know if that was why the Montana fans booed him or based on his previous behavior, but I'm sure it made an impact on him.

CopperCat
May 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM

As you can see, your question has been clearly answered by the Montana posters. Ryan Leaf is basically put in the same category as the unibomber: a black eye for the state, everybody wants to forget about him. The kid had a horribly attitude about things, both when he was still in MT and when he was playing football elsewhere. I think he is a punk and that he needs to learn some humility. He will NEVER be allowed to coach at UM or MSU.xnonono2x

GRZZ
May 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I'm on the fence. I was fairly young when Leaf was in high school and even college so the memories aren't as personal with me. That being said, everything he said was degrading to Montana and there was no real reason for it. However, obviously Ryan Leaf proved over and over again that he was not very mature for a long time. It does appear that he has grown up a large bit since then. Obviously he would just be a position coach like the QB coach before he could even dream about being anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach at either school gave him a try because there isn't that much to lose. Give him a one-year contract and see how it goes. He probably would have more legitimate playing experience than any QB coach they could bring in otherwise and if it doesn't work out, he is gone and he proves that he never did/will grow up.

PSUVikings
May 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I believe anyone with the last name of Leaf in the state of montana will get a double take.

GOKATS
May 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
We all make mistakes- hopefully you learn from your mistakes. It sounds like Ryan has maybe matured a bit and made a good decision to live in Texas in the pursuit of a career.

I applaud his choice, and nothing against the fine folks in Texas, but you can have him!xnodx xsmiley_wix

Blue42
May 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Would you want Ryan Leaf coaching your kid?

Mmmmm....no thanks. I'll take my chances with whoever else you can find.

As Steve Alford proved at Iowa, there's a big difference between being able to play the game and being able to coach it. Leaf had some pure athletic ability to play the game, but nowhere near the head needed to do it. So how would he be prepared to coach someone else?

Mich Griz
May 4th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Ryan was far from the best football player to come out of Great Falls. The list of QB's alone is impressive. Doug Nessen (SP) played at Michigan State in the 70's. Mike Roban started as a frosh for Navy later he transfered to U of M where he fizzled out. Of course Dave Dickenson could run for govorner tomorrow and win by a landslide. Ryan's bro started at Oregon. I don't think they all went to the same HS but that's a lot of QB talent from a town of 60K. The Great Falls guys could fill us in but Ryan was far from the best coming from GF. The reason the didn't retire his jersey at CMR was because he probably didn't deserve it.

Tod
May 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Ryan was far from the best football player to come out of Great Falls. The list of QB's alone is impressive. Doug Nessen (SP) played at Michigan State in the 70's. Mike Roban started as a frosh for Navy later he transfered to U of M where he fizzled out. Of course Dave Dickenson could run for govorner tomorrow and win by a landslide. Ryan's bro started at Oregon. I don't think they all went to the same HS but that's a lot of QB talent from a town of 60K. The Great Falls guys could fill us in but Ryan was far from the best coming from GF. The reason the didn't retire his jersey at CMR was because he probably didn't deserve it.

Ryan's cousing, Keagal I believe, played at Havre and went to WSU as well.

If Ryan Leaf wants to have anything to do with sports in Montana, it is my humble opinion that an apology is in order. It takes a real man to apologize, and it takes one to accept it (women too, of course).

Admit your wrongs, be humble, ask forgiveness, and you shall be accepted.

Jesus approves this post. :) :)

GOKATS
May 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Dickenson might win the mayoral race in Missoula, but that's about where it ends. Sorry to disappoint ya.xwhistlex xwhistlex

Green26
May 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I don't agree with most of the stuff said in this thread about Leaf. Most of the posters have incorrect information or are just piling on. Yes, Leaf made mistakes and said some dumb stuff when he was in the NFL. As for Montana and his high school CMR, I am not aware of any negative things he said about them, other than the quote in GrizBeer's above post. Many people continue to crucify him for that statement.

Leaf would attract alot of negative attention and grief if he were to return to Montana. That, however, would reflect as much on some Montanans as it would on Leaf.

Tod
May 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I don't agree with most of the stuff said in this thread about Leaf. Most of the posters have incorrect information or are just piling on. Yes, Leaf made mistakes and said some dumb stuff when he was in the NFL. As for Montana and his high school CMR, I am not aware of any negative things he said about them, other than the quote in GrizBeer's above post. Many people continue to crucify him for that statement.

Leaf would attract alot of negative attention and grief if he were to return to Montana. That, however, would reflect as much on some Montanans as it would on Leaf.

How so? The man was insulting as hell. Like I said, I'd forgive him if he asked for it, but won't turn the other cheek.

Jesus disapproves of this post. :( :o

GoGuins
May 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Didn't Dave Dickinson go to Great Falls High? Did he play against Leaf who went to CMR? Forgive me I'm to lazy to look it up.

I lived in Great Falls in 94-96 and went to a few GF games. It amazed me that at the time there were only 13 schools in the entire state in their big school divsion & every team made the playoffs, regardless of records

Ronbo
May 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing the quality of the HS football here in Montana. As few schools as there are Montana has over 100 players in Division I football right now. 50 at Montana, another 40 or so at MSU, and a dozen at FBS schools. Then you have another couple hundred playing Div. II and NAIA. Football in Montana is sort of like Hockey in Saskatchewan, the kids eat, sleep, and breathe it.

GrizzlyEdd
May 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Didn't Dave Dickinson go to Great Falls High? Did he play against Leaf who went to CMR? Forgive me I'm to lazy to look it up.

I lived in Great Falls in 94-96 and went to a few GF games. It amazed me that at the time there were only 13 schools in the entire state in their big school divsion & every team made the playoffs, regardless of records

Dave Dickinson went to CMR... and Ryan Leaf followed DD... then never played together or against each other...

chuges1
May 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I personally don't want him.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the insights. I tend to think he will not be going back to Montana for a while. I also think from that interview that he would not hesitate to apologize if it meant a better job in Montana. All in all, I'm glad he's happy. Some people make mistakes and forever are looking in the rear view mirror of what could have been. It seems he has found his peace in Texas.

Tod
May 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Those 13 schools (it's still the same, but next year there will be 14 with the brand new Glacier High in the NW), make up AA sports in Montana. There used to be more, but new rules and/or falling attendance made some of the other teams have to drop to Class A (Anaconda, Libby, Havre, Columbia Falls). Columbia Falls now meets the newer attendance requirement and will be seeking a return to AA as well.

However, you're wrong that every team made the playoffs. Not true.

xpeacex

GoGuins
May 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Those 13 schools (it's still the same, but next year there will be 14 with the brand new Glacier High in the NW), make up AA sports in Montana. There used to be more, but new rules and/or falling attendance made some of the other teams have to drop to Class A (Anaconda, Libby, Havre, Columbia Falls). Columbia Falls now meets the newer attendance requirement and will be seeking a return to AA as well.

However, you're wrong that every team made the playoffs. Not true.

xpeacex

Sorry, thought I remembered it that way. I always wanted to go watch the 6 man football, but never made a game. I think there was a school right outside GF that played 6 man (or was it 8 man?)

The year I saw GF play they had a guy named Dallas Neil, QB I think. I believe (& correct me if I'm wrong) he went on to play for Montana as a punter. I also remember him playing in the NFL?

Tod
May 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Sorry, thought I remembered it that way. I always wanted to go watch the 6 man football, but never made a game. I think there was a school right outside GF that played 6 man (or was it 8 man?)

The year I saw GF play they had a guy named Dallas Neil, QB I think. I believe (& correct me if I'm wrong) he went on to play for Montana as a punter. I also remember him playing in the NFL?

There are a lot of teams that play six and eight man football, so I'm not too sure which one you may be talking about. I've never seen them play, myself.

Yeah, Dallas Neil played for the Griz and in the NFL, I don't know much about his career or anything, though. :o

griz8791
May 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I think there was a school right outside GF that played 6 man (or was it 8 man?)

Sounds like you're talking about Highwood.

JALMOND
May 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Brady Leaf started at Oregon due to injuries. He is currently number 2 on the depth chart with the Ducks behind Dixon.

My take, having lived in Billings during the Leaf years in Great Falls, while Dickenson was a great quarterback, Leaf was far ahead of anyone from Montana. National publications were touting his potential and many schools were offering scholarships. Dickenson had an awesome career at Montana, yet Leaf's college career was phenominal. Before the draft, Leaf and Peyton Manning were pretty much deadlocked as to who would be drafted first, quite an achievement on the national stage for someone from Montana, let alone Great Falls. Since college, it is pretty much a given that Dickenson has done quite better than Leaf.

Most Montanans are able to forgive and forget, yet Leaf has burned a lot of bridges. I highly doubt anyone in Montana would offer him a coaching job, even if he was the best candidate, and on the same line, I doubt that he would look at Montana for a coaching position. Even if he was to come back, he would be under a huge microscope and a tremendous amount of pressure to succeed, all aspects of what happened to him in the NFL.

SeattleGriz
May 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Well. I just happened to play 6 man football in Power, MT. Power is 22 miles N of Great Falls, but I would bet griz8791 is correct in his assumption you were thinking of Highwood, for they have stayed in 6 man.

Power went coop with Dutton and Brady to become more competitive in 8 man.

Dallas Neil, was the son of my orthodontist in GF - You are correct on his playing for the Griz.

HiddenGriz
May 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ryan is damaged and unneeded or unwanted publicity for any school in Montana. The guy was an ass in high school, college and the pro's and I am ashamed to admit he is from Montana.

Green26
May 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Leaf made many mistakes in high school, college and the NFL. He was an ass at times and to some, but was also a good guy and friend to others. If posters like Hidden have first hand knowledge, please so state in the future. Otherwise, consider qualifying what you say. I knew Leaf in high and had kids in school with him and his brothers. I am not going to try to defend many of the things he did and said, but he gets more grief than he deserves, is the subject of considering piling on--often by people who have zero first hand or credible information, and ought to be given a chance to prove himself without the deserved and undeserved baggage and myth from many years ago.