PDA

View Full Version : NAU vs App St???

Pages : [1] 2

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Anyone heard anything about this?

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
No - but they are about the only schools without an 11th game.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
no but i would love if it was able to happen!

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
I would love for it to happen...I just want a schedule released. Maybe we can dress our Women's Rugby team up and put them on our schedule.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
the womens rugby team is an interesting group of people

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
to say the least...they probably hit harder than Mars-Hill...j/k MH fans

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Someone over on the MMB is saying "he's heard" this game may be set. First I've heard of it, but would be cool if it happens. Prob a return trip to AZ in 09.

james_lawfirm
May 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Anyone heard anything about this?

Who the heck is NAU? Northern Arizona? What conference, subdivision, mascot?

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Who the heck is NAU? Northern Arizona? What conference, subdivision, mascot?

Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. FCS - Big Sky Conference. Home of past Walter Payton Award winning RB Archie Amerson. Payton award runner-up QB Jason Murrietta is one of only 4 starters not returning from last year's 6-5 team. The five losses were to FBS Arizona State, FBS Utah, Play-off winning teams Montana and Montana State (by a total of 10 points), and to top 25 team Portland State.

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Someone over on the MMB is saying "he's heard" this game may be set. First I've heard of it, but would be cool if it happens. Prob a return trip to AZ in 09.

If this happens, it would be one of two things - home and home like you mentioned, or, a one time trip to Boone, with App St covering NAU's travel costs, etc.

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
This would be a great game to have on our schedule, especially with NAU bringing back all that experience. You have quality losses to some great teams last year. I think this would work out well for both schools and give us another FCS game!

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
If this happens, it would be one of two things - home and home like you mentioned, or, a one time trip to Boone, with App St covering NAU's travel costs, etc.

I'd very much like to see ASU make a return trip. Seems only fair. xnodx I know we travel to JMU next year so not sure how feasible next year would be. I any case I think it'd be awesome for both teams. xbowx

MYTAPPY
May 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
What are the NAU boards saying??

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
What are the NAU boards saying??

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

This is the NAU board!!!

MYTAPPY
May 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM

This is the NAU board!!!

No clamoring going on between your NAU peeps??

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
No clamoring going on between your NAU peep??

Fixed. Jon's the only one. :p xbowx xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I also hope they could find a way to make this happen for both schools' sake. Good luck! I think I am jumping on the NAU bandwagon right now! :D (will be tough to replace that QB Murrietta though, he was a great leader on your team!)

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Fixed. Jon's the only one. :p xbowx xthumbsupx

We actually have three posters on here :p

MYTAPPY
May 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

The NAU trifecta!!!

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM

I've seen them. You, however, are the undisputed king of NAU around these parts. xnodx

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9729/burgerkingfarked742536gr2.jpg

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

CopperCat
May 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Where is this information coming from? If everything is heresay its just gossip. I'd like to see this game happen as well, but I would also like to know where this is coming from.

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Oh, I think it's pretty much speculation and rumor at this point. Though the guy who started the thread on the MMB said it came "straight from the top".

So who knows.. :)

CopperCat
May 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Great, just start throwing rumors around on the internet. "Straight from the top" means that it is real, so this better be real.

Mountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Depends on the rumor..

Rumors about academic/athletic violations, guys off the team, coaches, etc., I don't like to see.

Rumors about two teams possibly playing is harmless and fun for fans to speculate over. xtwocentsx xnodx

GGASU
May 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Oh, I think it's pretty much speculation and rumor at this point. Though the guy who started the thread on the MMB said it came "straight from the top".

So who knows.. :)

His source is Jerry Moore, but he edited his post very quickly after posting who his source was. xwhistlex

Jackluv
May 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
1 of the 3 trifecta here!!

i had also heard the rumor as well. I would definitely fly to Boone or drive to Flagstaff to see this game. 2 amazing offenses.

Mountaineer#96
May 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
1 of the 3 trifecta here!!

i had also heard the rumor as well. I would definitely fly to Boone or drive to Flagstaff to see this game. 2 amazing offenses.

It would be worth it if you like to see points on the board..........but I really don't know how many our D would give up (since we are just reloading the front 7 and returning all of the secondary except for one) xnodx

Would be nice to see a quality FCS program stroll into Boone, and bring some fans from the west coast since I'm from out there. We can all have a beer.xrotatehx

Tod
May 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Are NAU and ASU trying to fill in the same date(s)? I'd assume that to be the case, but haven't seen it mentioned here.

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Are NAU and ASU trying to fill in the same date(s)? I'd assume that to be the case, but haven't seen it mentioned here.

We both have Sept 15th open as of now.

dbackjon
May 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
NAU's schedule is supposed to be out next week. An App State game is possible.

UNHWildCats
May 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
there is a NAU board, but the posting on it is far between. I go there once in a while hoiping someone posted somethoing on the schedule yet it seems no one sposted since like November. lol

CopperCat
May 3rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
It would be worth it if you like to see points on the board..........but I really don't know how many our D would give up (since we are just reloading the front 7 and returning all of the secondary except for one) xnodx

Would be nice to see a quality FCS program stroll into Boone, and bring some fans from the west coast since I'm from out there. We can all have a beer.xrotatehx
xrolleyesx

Ronbo
May 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
I also hope they could find a way to make this happen for both schools' sake. Good luck! I think I am jumping on the NAU bandwagon right now! :D (will be tough to replace that QB Murrietta though, he was a great leader on your team!)

I'm hearing NAU has a stud QB transfer from Fresno State. He was very highly ranked out of HS and led his HS team to the 25th best offensive season in National HS history. Maybe a NAU guy can fill you in.

PantherRob82
May 3rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I enjoyed our series with NAU.

WUTNDITWAA
May 3rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
For this subdivision of football to work, we need games like this. Sadly, these are few and far between.

ASUMountaineer
May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
I think it would be great to play an FCS team from the West Coast. It's always nice to see teams we've never seen before. I agree, I hope this game works out.

james_lawfirm
May 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. FCS - Big Sky Conference. Home of past Walter Payton Award winning RB Archie Amerson. Payton award runner-up QB Jason Murrietta is one of only 4 starters not returning from last year's 6-5 team. The five losses were to FBS Arizona State, FBS Utah, Play-off winning teams Montana and Montana State (by a total of 10 points), and to top 25 team Portland State.

Many thanks. If you're coming to Boone - WELCOME!

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
For this subdivision of football to work, we need games like this. Sadly, these are few and far between.

The distance on I-AA budgets is prohibitive. it's not like traveling to a distant I-A with a big check waiting. Plus the risks of a good game keeping one or the other team out of the play-offs or causing a sukky seed is not wise in many cases. Everyone knows what the goal is for the season and how best to reach it given the selection committees priorities.

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
xrolleyesx

xrolleyesx ??

Monty State fans should understand that. 17 ptsxrolleyesx

CrazyCat
May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
xrolleyesx ??

Monty State fans should understand that. 17 ptsxrolleyesx

Monty is the Griz mascot.xlolx
I think that NAU and APP would be a very good game.

AppState
May 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
He is probably just tired of that asshat taking shots at App. As am I.

AppState
May 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Monty is the Griz mascot.xlolx
I think that NAU and APP would be a very good game.

He is probably just tired of that asshat taking shots at App. As am I.

WyomingGrizFan
May 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
We both have Sept 15th open as of now.

Hope it happens!!! GO LUMBERJACKS!!!!

Mr. C
May 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I heard some inklings of an App State-Northern Arizona game today as well. I talked to Jay Sutton earlier this week and know he has been extremely frustrated with the schedule problems, but I also know that they have been trying to work some things out. Hopefully this one will come about. It would be a great game for both schools and a great one for FCS.

UNHWildCats
May 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
if this game happens Ralph has to reopen the game of the week nominations :p

AZBison
May 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Good for NAU and App, assuming it works out, as a person living in AZ (for now) I would love to see a return trip. Might actually make me get up to Flag for a game.

ucdtim17
May 4th, 2007, 01:01 AM

I don't think this one is worthy - App should kill them

Tod
May 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM

I think it depends on what's going on that week. NAU should be a good team, how good remains to be seen.

With that said, yes, ASU should win. But you never know. :) I know I'd love to see that game! xnodx xnodx xnodx

ASU
May 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I think it depends on what's going on that week. NAU should be a good team, how good remains to be seen.

With that said, yes, ASU should win. But you never know. :) I know I'd love to see that game! xnodx xnodx xnodx
In football only the starting time of the game is predetermined....and often that does not hold true.

asu3peat
May 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
With NAU bringing back a boatload of experience and coming off of some quality losses from good FCS teams last year, nothing is a given. Keep our fingers crossed that this game happens.

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Would be a great matchup, definitely better than what we currently have penciled in

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
With NAU bringing back a boatload of experience and coming off of some quality losses from good FCS teams last year, nothing is a given. Keep our fingers crossed that this game happens.

And that an upset doesn't knock us out of the high seedings that give us home games.

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Would be a great matchup, definitely better than what we currently have penciled in

Except for our scheduled games with Michigan, Furman, GSU,and a much improved Wofford.

Saint3333
May 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Except for our scheduled games with Michigan, Furman, GSU,and a much improved Wofford.

I believe he means St. Peters, Davidson, any D2 game we may have been considering.

I would love to sign home and homes with ANY Big Sky, Gateway, A10/CAA, or Southland teams.

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I believe he means St. Peters, Davidson, any D2 game we may have been considering.

I would love to sign home and homes with ANY Big Sky, Gateway, A10/CAA, or Southland teams.

I know, that's why I said "scheduled." I was just pointing out that we have at least 4 or 5 games that will make my tickets worth the price already in spite of whether or not we get NAU or any other FCS team.

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Saint is right, hence the word penciled, implying the games that are not certain

Jackluv
May 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I think you should look into NAU's offense more before you make an assumption like that

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
App would certainly be the favorite, but not by a large margin

dbackjon
May 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
App would certainly be the favorite, but not by a large margin

Agreed. Then again, App State will likely be the favorite in every game they play, except the Michigan game.

james_lawfirm
May 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think you should look into NAU's offense more before you make an assumption like that

Yep, that's quite an assumption. I'll admit I know nothing about NAU. Please enlighten me. What offense do they run? what are their forte/weaknesses? What defense? How did they do last year? What is their coach like? Do they talk trash during the game or do they let their play speak for them? In short, please describe them to someone who has never even heard of them. Thanks.

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Agreed. Then again, App State will likely be the favorite in every game they play, except the Michigan game.

some of the lunatic fringe would tell you otherwise about the Michigan gamexrolleyesx xlolx

dbackjon
May 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yep, that's quite an assumption. I'll admit I know nothing about NAU. Please enlighten me. What offense do they run? what are their forte/weaknesses? What defense? How did they do last year? What is their coach like? Do they talk trash during the game or do they let their play speak for them? In short, please describe them to someone who has never even heard of them. Thanks.

Some of that has been answered already in this thread.

NAU had an outstanding offense (which is traditionally does). D let us down a few times, but return most of the starters. Overall, we return 18 starters. Biggest loss is Payton-award runner-up QB Jason Murrietta, but we have a couple of good prospects in the fold.

Last year, we were 6-5, with the losses to Arizona State (FBS, went to a bowl), Utah (FBS, won bowl game), #4 Montana (made it to semis), #10 Montana State (won first round game against Furman, and to #11 Portland State. In all three FCS games we lost, we had a chance to tie or win in the 4th quarter.

Our coach, Jerome Souers, is the only Native American head coach in Division I. Prior to arriving in Flagstaff, he was Montana's DC for 8 years, including during national title year (1995).

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Some of that has been answered already in this thread.

NAU had an outstanding offense (which is traditionally does). D let us down a few times, but return most of the starters. Overall, we return 18 starters. Biggest loss is Payton-award runner-up QB Jason Murrietta, but we have a couple of good prospects in the fold.

Last year, we were 6-5, with the losses to Arizona State (FBS, went to a bowl), Utah (FBS, won bowl game), #4 Montana (made it to semis), #10 Montana State (won first round game against Furman, and to #11 Portland State. In all three FCS games we lost, we had a chance to tie or win in the 4th quarter.

Our coach, Jerome Souers, is the only Native American head coach in Division I. Prior to arriving in Flagstaff, he was Montana's DC for 8 years, including during national title year (1995).

If not for the loss of Murietta, I'd have you guys top 15 this year

ucdtim17
May 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I know you lose Murrietta and this game would almost certainly be in Boone. Without looking at the schedule of other games 9/15 (anyone have it?), I bet there are a few other intersectional games that will be more interesting.

That said, it'd still be cool to get it scheduled.

appfan2008
May 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM
so whats new on the speculation of the game? any more rumors or souces?

i hope it happens but until someone announces, i have to be skeptical

dbackjon
May 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
so whats new on the speculation of the game? any more rumors or souces?

i hope it happens but until someone announces, i have to be skeptical

I wouldn't expect anything until next week, one way or the other.

gvilleapp
May 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't expect anything until next week, one way or the other.
I hope that if the '07 game happens and is played in Boone, that a '08 or '09 date will be agreed upon in Flagstaff. I had a business trip to AZ back in the mid-90's and I toured around a little bit on my own and I really loved that area. I would definetly plan a trip out there with my wife for a little sight seeing and football.

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Saint is right, hence the word penciled, implying the games that are not certain

Of course I know what "penciled is." I'm just saying we have good enough schedule already that it counters any duds we have to sign.

Richmond Mountaineer
May 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but word out of the AD's office yesterday afternoon was that this game isn't happening. Was told the schedule would be out late next week and that Jay Sutton was happy with it. Only time will tell.

dbackjon
May 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but word out of the AD's office yesterday afternoon was that this game isn't happening. Was told the schedule would be out late next week and that Jay Sutton was happy with it. Only time will tell.

Who is Jay Sutton?

If so, that is too bad.

Richmond Mountaineer
May 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Jay's the man trying to get this schedule worked. I was given that information from someone who talked to him yesterday. I hope it's wrong but my source is reliable.

Mr. C
May 4th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Who is Jay Sutton?

If so, that is too bad.
Jay Sutton is the Associate Athletic Director at Appalachian State and the Mountaineers' All-Southern Conference place kicker from 1992-1996. He has been the one doing the schedules since 2005. Great guy, who has worked extremely hard on this stuff.

CopperCat
May 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
If not for the loss of Murietta, I'd have you guys top 15 this year
Defense gives up a LOT of points though.......xcoolx

PantherRob82
May 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I don't think so. NAU is a decent team, but no powerhouse.

PantherRob82
May 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Is it better than our last home and home?

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Defense gives up a LOT of points though.......xcoolx

Good!

CopperCat
May 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Good!
You're not playing them yet......xcoffeex

SoCon48
May 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
we will

CopperCat
May 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
we will
I will laugh if you don't.

SoCon48
May 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I don't really care. A couple patsies to pave our way into the high seedings will do just fine.

3peat!!!

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Of course I know what "penciled is." I'm just saying we have good enough schedule already that it counters any duds we have to sign.

You know as well as I know that conference games don't really factor into people's minds when they consider schedule strength

SoCon48
May 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
But they should. Some years, we've been through hell just getting thru the season.
That's where our focus should be EVERY year.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM
But they should. Some years, we've been through hell just getting thru the season.
That's where our focus should be EVERY year.

OUR focus will be, everyone else who doesn't see how competitive the SoCon is will only look at the OOC schedule

Mr. C
May 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
App State's focus has been on winning the league championship the past two years, knowing everything else, playoffs include, falls into place after that. People in the SoCon have the mind set that if you can come out on top in that conference, you are in contention for a national title and the string of teams from the SoCon who have been in the semifinals, finals and have won championships speaks to that.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
App State's focus has been on winning the league championship the past two years, knowing everything else, playoffs include, falls into place after that. People in the SoCon have the mind set that if you can come out on top in that conference, you are in contention for a national title and the string of teams from the SoCon who have been in the semifinals, finals and have won championships speaks to that.

xbowx xbowx

AppStateold299
May 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Is there any more on this game? Is it still just speculation or is it a matter of money?

Jackluv
May 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i think its it just speculation. We will have to wait for a couple weeks for NAU or App to make a statement

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM

I agree but if its in Flag ALL BETS ARE OFF. ASU will not be ready for playing at 7000 FT!!!!

Mr. C
May 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
ASU already plays at 3,333 feet of elevation. Sometimes I think people forget that Boone, N.C. is a mountain town. I remember in 2000, when ASU played Montana in the semifinals, all of the locals kept thinking that ASU would be bothered by the cold and snow, when Boone had almost the exact same weather as Missoula that day.

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
ASU already plays at 3,333 feet of elevation. Sometimes I think people forget that Boone, N.C. is a mountain town. I remember in 2000, when ASU played Montana in the semifinals, all of the locals kept thinking that ASU would be bothered by the cold and snow, when Boone had almost the exact same weather as Missoula that day.

ITS NOT THE SAME. At 7000 feet its hard to walk up the steps at the skydome, without getting winded.

CopperCat
May 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
3,500 ft. is nowhere even close to what 7,000 ft is like. The weather patterns might be similar, but ASU would be dealing with MUCH less oxygen at almost 4,000 feet higher than they are used to. Having been to the Skydome, I can sympathize with paytonlives. Getting up those steps is a heck of an order, and I would say that I'm in decent shape too. (And weather probably wouldn't have too much factor in the game if NAU played App at home, as they play in a dome).

Sir William
May 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
3,500 ft. is nowhere even close to what 7,000 ft is like. The weather patterns might be similar, but ASU would be dealing with MUCH less oxygen at almost 4,000 feet higher than they are used to. Having been to the Skydome, I can sympathize with paytonlives. Getting up those steps is a heck of an order, and I would say that I'm in decent shape too. (And weather probably wouldn't have too much factor in the game if NAU played App at home, as they play in a dome).

If this game even happens, and it's played at NAU, I think App will do just fine.

A team doesn't claim two consecutive national championships for no good reason. It will take more than an increase in elevation for the Mountaineers to falter, I promise you.

WyomingGrizFan
May 7th, 2007, 01:36 AM
If the game is in Flagstaff, Arizona, even with its elevation of officially 6,905 ft., I don't really think that would severely hamper Appalachian State either. Of course, it helps to have many more members available for playing, in order to allow the front-line players time to adjust and catch their breathe as such, but the coaching staff can readily take all that into consideration and deal with it accordingly.

It's not like Mississippi, from 437 ft at Oxford to playing the Wyoming Cowboys @ 7,165 ft @ Laramie back on 25 Sept 04, ending with a Cowboy victory 37 - 32. I would think that could very well have been a factor in that game, maybe not, but I wouldn't doubt it any. Interestingly, Wyoming hosted Appalachian St. but two weeks earlier on 04 Sept, coming away with a 53 - 7 win. Of course, that was before the two I-AA NCs and I don't confuse the possibility of NAU being a better team than Wyoming. Rather adventurous and courageous on the Mountaineers' part to schedule and make the game. Have to give them credit for their willingness to play the game regardless of financial distractions.

Then as well, I've talked with some familiar with BYU and their going to Hawaii a week early for a game in order to overcome jetlag. Distance and elevation can sometimes be a major factor, at least with evenly matched opponents, at least I would think that it might.

thirdgendin
May 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM
ITS NOT THE SAME. At 7000 feet its hard to walk up the steps at the skydome, without getting winded.

Furman sits at an elevation of around 1,000 feet, and we managed to score 35 second-half points in Flagstaff in the '96 playoffs, including 21 in the last 10 minutes or so. We also played in high altitude at Wyoming and lost 20-14 after failing to convert a late 4th-and-goal.

I think ASU has enough to overcome an altitude issues, especially since they already are at less of a disadvantage than most eastern teams would be.

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
whatever it is, App will probably have SOME problem with the elevation. Everyone does. I'm not saying they elevation is so bad they lose the game due to conditioning but im saying it will probably have some affect.

Now consider App St being in superior physical condition before this game at 3,000 ft. Now consider NAU being in superior physical condition before this game at 7,000 ft. That's when there will be an issue. But we don't know what each of their summer camp's are going to look like so we dont know.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
If you know anything about App State's program, you would know that the Mountaineers are one of the best conditioned teams in FCS. Their previous strength coach, Russell Patterson, was named national strength coach of the year, following the 2005 season, and their current strength coach, Jeff Dillman, has been ever tougher on these guys. If you have noticed anything about ASU during its two-year championship run, it's that the Mountaineers wear teams down in the fourth quarter most of the time. Just ask UMass. ASU also has more depth than most FCS teams, which enables the Mountaineers to rotate their OL and DL, LBs, WRs, etc. The team that played at Wyoming in 2004 (and had gone the entire summer without a strength coach) was in poor condition. This one won't be.

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM
yah, you must be right. 7,000 ft. will have NOOOO affect on App St.

My bad

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
No one said it wouldn't have an effect. I'm just saying that App State is more capable of handling it than most teams. BTW, I remember the altitude really giving Florida Atlantic a lot of problems in the 2003 playoff against an NAU team that had just knocked off top-seeded McNeese State on the road the week before.

MYTAPPY
May 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
The last time we faced a Lumberjack team, it didn't fair too well.
Thanks a lot SFA:p

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
No one said it wouldn't have an effect. I'm just saying that App State is more capable of handling it than most teams. BTW, I remember the altitude really giving Florida Atlantic a lot of problems in the 2003 playoff against an NAU team that had just knocked off top-seeded McNeese State on the road the week before.

You argue against App's loss to Wyoming 3 years ago and say App is a different team. You just made my argument for the FAU game. Thanks! ;)

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Not sure what to make of your post, MYTAPPY. The last time (and only time) ASU played SFA was in the 1995 playoffs and the Lumberjacks ended the Mountaineers perfect 12-0 season with a late comeback, winning 27-17. One big pass play for SFA turned the tide in that game, following a bad ASU decision to run the option on third and two, trying to run out the clock in the fourth quarter.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM
You argue against App's loss to Wyoming 3 years ago and say App is a different team. You just made my argument for the FAU game. Thanks! ;)
I guess you didn't understand the sarcasm. FAU KILLED NAU in the 2003 playoffs, if you have forgotten.

MYTAPPY
May 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Not sure what to make of your post, MYTAPPY. The last time (and only time) ASU played SFA was in the 1995 playoffs and the Lumberjacks ended the Mountaineers perfect 12-0 season with a late comeback, winning 27-17. One big pass play for SFA turned the tide in that game, following a bad ASU decision to run the option on third and two, trying to run out the clock in the fourth quarter.

Stating that App lost the game, that's all. Sarcasm was the objective with the "thanks a lot" comment.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Wasn't sure if it was sarcasm, or not, my friend. We're having trouble with our sarcasm sensitivity meter around here this morning. :o xrolleyesx xrotatehx xnodx

Scott Satterfield and I were just talking about that game last week. Some of those 1995 guys still take that game hard.

MYTAPPY
May 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Wasn't sure if it was sarcasm, or not, my friend. We're having trouble with our sarcasm sensitivity meter around here this morning. :o xrolleyesx xrotatehx xnodx

Scott Satterfield and I were just talking about that game last week. Some of those 1995 guys still take that game hard.

I was a freshman that year. It was a tough way to end an incredible season. I would like at some point down the road to play SFA and get revenge.

Sir William
May 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
OK, OK...let's be honest. The elevation would have a significant affect on App.

Instead of winning by 4 TDs, they squeak by NAU, winning by 3 TDs and a FG. :)

(I'm just having fun, trying to stir it up!)

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I guess you didn't understand the sarcasm. FAU KILLED NAU in the 2003 playoffs, if you have forgotten.

i realize that Mr. C. The point is, when Wyo beat App at high elevation 4 years ago they were a very different team. When NAU lost to FAU 4 years ago, they were a very different team. Understand now? xsmiley_wix

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yes, ASU is the two-time defending national champ, not the 6-5 team that didn't win a road game in 2004. And NAU is a team that hasn't been to the playoff since losing to FAU (no smack intended, just the facts). Again, no team in FCS is probably better able to handle such obstacles as Appalachian State. Hopefully, it won't bother NAU on Sept. 15 playing at such a lower elevation.

phillyAPP
May 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, ASU is the two-time defending national champ, not the 6-5 team that didn't win a road game in 2004. And NAU is a team that hasn't been to the playoff since losing to FAU (no smack intended, just the facts). Again, no team in FCS is probably better able to handle such obstacles as Appalachian State. Hopefully, it won't bother NAU on Sept. 15 playing at such a lower elevation.

Mr. C has his rifle loaded and ready for ALL sarcism. Bring on the FACTS and non-FACTS.

Is it Football season yet?
I woke up today and it was 40 degrees xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM
It was 35 degrees at our house this morning. We can't decide what season it is around here. Feels like football weather today.

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM

It probably wont bother NAU, it'll just give them a little more wind xlolx

putter
May 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM
App will feel the elevation but it should not effect their overall play. Unless they show up with 22 players. FAU showed up and basically ran a track meet in the Skydome, they had some athletes that year.

CopperCat
May 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
App will feel the elevation but it should not effect their overall play. Unless they show up with 22 players. FAU showed up and basically ran a track meet in the Skydome, they had some athletes that year.
It might affect ASU from the standpoint that you have to put different guys in more frequently (2 downs as opposed to 3) to compensate for being a little more winded (especially WR's and RB's).

SoCon48
May 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I will laugh if you don't.

Guess you're not laughing.xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

May 7, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. *— Appalachian State University announced Monday the dates and opponents for its 2007 Family Weekend and homecoming football games. Appalachian will host Northern Arizona for Family Day on Saturday, Sept. 15 and Gardner-Webb for homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Appalachian, the two-time-defending NCAA Division I national champion, will square off with another traditional Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly Division I-AA) power when it welcomes Northern Arizona to Kidd Brewer Stadium on Sept. 15. The meeting is the first between ASU and NAU and marks just the second-ever visit to Boone by a member of the Big Sky Conference. In last season's Division I quarterfinal, Appalachian thumped Big Sky runner-up Montana State, 38-17, before a national-television audience at The Rock.

SoCon48
May 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
It might affect ASU from the standpoint that you have to put different guys in more frequently (2 downs as opposed to 3) to compensate for being a little more winded (especially WR's and RB's).

I wouldn't put too much stock in that 6,000 feet stuff. We've had track runners train at nearby Grandfather Mountain which is 5,964 ft and they concluded that they adjust to that altitude virtually overnight anyway from our track's 3,333 ft. So basically a few hours takes care of it. I mean it's not like Mexico City.

Besides, our conditioning program at App is excellent. We usually own the 3rd and 4th quarters. Well, you knew that already from the 21-7 second half margin in the play-off game in Boone.
And gosh, we have so many WR's that it's hard to get them enough PT.

appsfan
May 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
The announcement that the game is in Boone now raises a different question. Can NAU handle the humidity of a possibly, hot mid-September game? You know, the dry heat versus the humidity factor? xconfusedx

SoCon48
May 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Thing is. The diff in altitude is about the same as when the flatlanders come to Boone from S Carolina, Georgia, etc and never heard them complaining about the effects. Conway, SC to Boone..altitude difference about the same as Boone to Flagstaff,etc. .

Peems
May 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Whoever said they hadn't heard of NAU hasn't been a fan of FCS for too long. I expect App to win this game, Jon brought up how the Jacks had a chance to win all their games but what he failed to mention was that NAU failed to muster over 100 yards of total offense against the griz this year. NAU was murrietta last year and without him it will be interesting to see hwo they do. i will be pulling for my big sky brethren, but its not like NAU was a top 25 team last year.

CopperCat
May 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in that 6,000 feet stuff. We've had track runners train at nearby Grandfather Mountain which is 5,964 ft and they concluded that they adjust to that altitude virtually overnight anyway from our track's 3,333 ft. So basically a few hours takes care of it. I mean it's not like Mexico City.

Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet chief. Mexico City is only 349 feet higher than that.xthumbsupx

Jackluv
May 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Whoever said they hadn't heard of NAU hasn't been a fan of FCS for too long. I expect App to win this game, Jon brought up how the Jacks had a chance to win all their games but what he failed to mention was that NAU failed to muster over 100 yards of total offense against the griz this year. NAU was murrietta last year and without him it will be interesting to see hwo they do. i will be pulling for my big sky brethren, but its not like NAU was a top 25 team last year.

I believe NAU ended up 30 or 29 in the GPI this past season and broke into the top 25 at one time too. xsmiley_wix

And that's weird how NAU had under 100 yards of total offense against UM yet almost beat them. But we arent here to talk about that.

BIG SKY vs. THE WORLD! ;)

Ronbo
May 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
It was actually ISU that we held to 92 yards of total offense. The Northern Arizona game was our closest call in the Big Sky. We did hold NAU under 100 yards passing which was a big thing as they were leading the league in passing and total offense.

.............................................NAU.. ........UM

FIRST DOWNS............................12............13
Rushing....................................5...... .......7
Passing....................................5...... .......6
Penalty....................................2...... .......0
NET YARDS RUSHING...................98...........107
Rushing Attempts......................33...........40
Average Per Rush......................3.0..........2.7
Yards Gained Rushing.................134.........149
Yards Lost Rushing.....................36...........42
NET YARDS PASSING....................93..........138
Completions-Attempts-Int.......16-32-0.....10-22-0
Average Per Attempt..................2.9.........6.3
Average Per Completion..............5.8.........13.8
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS................191.........245

Sir William
May 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM
The announcement that the game is in Boone now raises a different question. Can NAU handle the humidity of a possibly, hot mid-September game? You know, the dry heat versus the humidity factor? xconfusedx

Good question. Here's another:

Can NAU handle App State, period?

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM

It will be a difficult game. I think NAU can stay with ASU, but winning, especially in Boone, is going to be a tall order.

Jackluv
May 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
NAU stayed with ASU (Arizona St.) and Montana but that was WITH Payton runner-up Murrietta. Who knows how they will fair this year.

CopperCat
May 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
NAU stayed with ASU (Arizona St.) and Montana but that was WITH Payton runner-up Murrietta. Who knows how they will fair this year.
But now that Murietta is gone, how do you prepare for a team like NAU? Film will only do so much, as the offense has major cogs that have been replaced. NAU might be able to throw a few curveballs at ASU and get away with a big play (I suggest the WR option passxthumbsupx ). ASU is the favorite for sure, but NAU has dark horse potential. It will be interesting, to say the least......xnodx

lizrdgizrd
May 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
But now that Murietta is gone, how do you prepare for a team like NAU? Film will only do so much, as the offense has major cogs that have been replaced. NAU might be able to throw a few curveballs at ASU and get away with a big play (I suggest the WR option passxthumbsupx ). ASU is the favorite for sure, but NAU has dark horse potential. It will be interesting, to say the least......xnodx
At least it's not NAU's first game, so maybe some sort of tape will find it's way into Jerry's hands.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
At least it's not NAU's first game, so maybe some sort of tape will find it's way into Jerry's hands.

Yup - third game.

Probably will do enough to win the Western New Mexico game. U of Arizona will get some new wrinkles, dpending on how the game goes, then leave some suprises for ASU.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Great suggestion. I remember Wozeah (or was it Wiggins?) intercepting one of those for TD!!!xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet chief. Mexico City is only 349 feet higher than that.xthumbsupx

Yep and one of our tracksters did quite well in Mexico City.
You can just forget the altitude stuff.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaak! xlolx

CopperCat
May 9th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Great suggestion. I remember Wozeah (or was it Wiggins?) intercepting one of those for TD!!!xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx
That's funny because I was talking to NAU fans, not you jackass. MSU used that play against NAU and it worked perfectly, which is why i suggested it, punk.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Look boy, this isn't the smack thread! Quit with the "punk" and "jackass" stuff. And you cry about neg rep points. Geez.
BTW, what worked for MSU vs ASU? Can't think of a thing.

AppState
May 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
That's funny because I was talking to NAU fans, not you jackass. MSU used that play against NAU and it worked perfectly, which is why i suggested it, punk.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/TOS/

Forbidden activity on all boards:
+ Personal attacks/personal namecalling including hate speech

lizrdgizrd
May 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/TOS/

Forbidden activity on all boards:
+ Personal attacks/personal namecalling including hate speech
Whatever that is. xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
May 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
congrats to NAU and kudos to their athletic dept for making this happen. I wish the "powers to be" beyond our AD would give our AD the reigns to have pulled a game like this off. Anymore it seems that every game for the GRIZ is about the almighty dollar. NAU gets App state, The GRIZ get a home game against the mighty Fort Lewis State. Yahoo, I am so damn excited and looking forward to FLS instead of App State. (yeah right)

jwa2000
May 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Here is more info. on the game. Basically, ASU is paying NAU 175K for the game, but refused a return trip to Flagstaff. NAU was also trying to get SHSU to come to Flag that week but were outbid by NDSU.

http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/05/09/news/sports/20070509_sports_26.txt

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Here is more info. on the game. Basically, ASU is paying NAU 175K for the game, but refused a return trip to Flagstaff. NAU was also trying to get SHSU to come to Flag that week but were outbid by NDSU.

http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/05/09/news/sports/20070509_sports_26.txt

Disapointing that ASU is too chicken to come to Flagstaff.

Jackluv
May 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM

true true true

Mountaineer
May 10th, 2007, 01:57 AM

xnodx

Agreed, quite a shame. I think if you're gonna get a team to your place it's common courtesy to return the trip. xoopsx

But....at least we didn't agree then buy you guys out. :p :D

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 02:02 AM
It has everything to do with money. ASU could afford to offer NAU a nice guarantee, one that would pay expenses and allow the Lumberjacks to pocket some cash. NAU probably can't afford to do the same. There is a big difference in the several thousand that NAU averages and the 23,000-plus that ASU averages in home attendance.

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
It has everything to do with money. ASU could afford to offer NAU a nice guarantee, one that would pay expenses and allow the Lumberjacks to pocket some cash. NAU probably can't afford to do the same. There is a big difference in the several thousand that NAU averages and the 23,000-plus that ASU averages in home attendance.

Very obvious and very true, David. It's a shame the others don't understand that.

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Haaaaa! Wait until you see the final score in Boone before you make such statements.
I'm sure if NAU ponied up enough money like App is, that we would come. Can NAU get enough rev out of the dome attendance to pay App $175K and still have a decent home gate receipt left over?
$175K is very generous for an FCS game.

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
So it is all about money, and not about competition?

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Stretching the truth a little there Mr.C?

NAU averages more than several thousand, and ASU is several thousand below 23,000 +

And the whole point of a Home and Home series is each team gets a home game. Are guarantees usual with home and home series?

james_lawfirm
May 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM

No, no, no. You fellers from Arizona don't understand squat. We gonna pay you big bucks to come over here so we can whoop your a$$.

Just kidding.

james_lawfirm
May 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM

NAU averages more than several thousand, and ASU is several thousand below 23,000 +

And the whole point of a Home and Home series is each team gets a home game. Are guarantees usual with home and home series?

ASU was not several thousand below 23k during the regular season. The ONLY reason the entire year's attendance figure was lower than that was due to the playoff game over the Thanksgiving weekend. Somebody let all the students & alumni go to grandma's house for some turkey instead of watching the game. (Not me.) What were they thinking?

lizrdgizrd
May 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately the AD has to think about $$$ and competition. Fortunately you'll get the $$$ and we'll get some competition from this game! xthumbsupx

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Ummm.....reg season home games:

Sep 09, 2006 #12 JAMES MADISON W 21-10 1- 1- 0 0- 0- 0 2:36 23814
Sep 16, 2006 MARS HILL W 41-0 2- 1- 0 0- 0- 0 3:02 24346
* Sep 30, 2006 ELON W 45-21 4- 1- 0 1- 0- 0 2:48 26620
* Oct 14, 2006 WOFFORD W 14-7 6- 1- 0 3- 0- 0 2:19 18758
* Oct 28, 2006 #8 FURMAN W 40-7 8- 1- 0 5- 0- 0 3 hrs 24447
* Nov 04, 2006 THE CITADEL W 42-13 9- 1- 0 6- 0- 0 2:39 17547

Average 22,550

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
And yeah, we would call this "averaging several thousand:

Sep 16, 2006 DIXIE COLLEGE W 66-14 1- 2- 0 0- 0- 0 2:45 7283
* Sep 30, 2006 MONTANA STATE 32-39 L 2- 3- 0 1- 1- 0 3:34 8173
* Oct 21, 2006 SACRAMENTO STATE W 39-22 3- 4- 0 2- 2- 0 2:57 7362

* Nov 04, 2006 #25 PORTLAND STATE 26-34 L 4- 5- 0 3- 3- 0 3:04 5413
* Nov 11, 2006 WEBER STATE W 42-17 5- 5- 0 4- 3- 0 2:52 4811

Average 5,580 (several thousand)

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
No, no, no. You fellers from Arizona don't understand squat. We gonna pay you big bucks to come over here so we can whoop your a$$.

Just kidding.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 09:44 AM
And yeah, we would call this "averaging several thousand:

Sep 16, 2006 DIXIE COLLEGE W 66-14 1- 2- 0 0- 0- 0 2:45 7283
* Sep 30, 2006 MONTANA STATE 32-39 L 2- 3- 0 1- 1- 0 3:34 8173
* Oct 21, 2006 SACRAMENTO STATE W 39-22 3- 4- 0 2- 2- 0 2:57 7362

* Nov 04, 2006 #25 PORTLAND STATE 26-34 L 4- 5- 0 3- 3- 0 3:04 5413
* Nov 11, 2006 WEBER STATE W 42-17 5- 5- 0 4- 3- 0 2:52 4811

Average 5,580 (several thousand)

Most people consider several thousand as 3-4 thousand.

Hmmm - NCAA says we average 6,600, ASU averages 20,300

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Ummm.....reg season home games:

Sep 09, 2006 #12 JAMES MADISON W 21-10 1- 1- 0 0- 0- 0 2:36 23814
Sep 16, 2006 MARS HILL W 41-0 2- 1- 0 0- 0- 0 3:02 24346
* Sep 30, 2006 ELON W 45-21 4- 1- 0 1- 0- 0 2:48 26620
* Oct 14, 2006 WOFFORD W 14-7 6- 1- 0 3- 0- 0 2:19 18758
* Oct 28, 2006 #8 FURMAN W 40-7 8- 1- 0 5- 0- 0 3 hrs 24447
* Nov 04, 2006 THE CITADEL W 42-13 9- 1- 0 6- 0- 0 2:39 17547

Average 22,550

So NAU is going to outdraw Wofford and El Cid?

texcap
May 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM

If I remember correctly the NAU game will be family weekend. Last year family weekend drew 24,346 vs a DII (Mars Hill). I feel sure that the numbers will be there for NAU.

Someone else (might have been you, but I cannot remember who) asked the question, "Is it all about $$$?" in regard to ASU not signing a home and home. My guess is that it is all about $$$ on both NAU and ASU's part. IF there would have been a home and home deal, ASU probably would not have offered $175,000. The question then becomes, "Does NAU accept a home and home for no cash, or do they travel to Boone without a return trip and get paid $175,000?"

I think $$$ did do the talking in this deal, but they were talking on BOTH sides of the table.

dbackjon
May 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Someone else (might have been you, but I cannot remember who) asked the question, "Is it all about $$$?" in regard to ASU not signing a home and home. My guess is that it is all about $$$ on both NAU and ASU's part. IF there would have been a home and home deal, ASU probably would not have offered $175,000. The question then becomes, "Does NAU accept a home and home for no cash, or do they travel to Boone without a return trip and get paid $175,000?"

I think $$$ did do the talking in this deal, but they were talking on BOTH sides of the table.

I am sure you are mostly correct. ASU probably wants no part of a game in Flagstaff - that would be too risky a game for them. Hence the chicken part.

But, I also understand that money drives Football. ASU has it, NAU doesn't.

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Don't appreciate that question, Jon. I wasn't "stretching" the truth at all. I consider five or six thousand to be "several thousand." I didn't have the exact attendance figures for NAU in front of me when I posted this, but that was the range that I knew NAU drew from numerous reports. No disrespect for the Lumberjacks, just dealing with the reality of things. In the regular season, as has been pointed out, Appalachian State averaged 22,589, which is pretty close to 23,000. ASU was second to Montana last year in home attendance for the regular season. I didn't take the time to look up the exact figures when I was posting in the wee hours of the morning. I was giving you an approximate figure for ASU. The point is that a team that averages around 23,000 can afford more in a guarantee than one that averages around 6,000 — even if you think that NAU might have sold many more tickets for a game against the defending, two-time national champion. As a rough idea, it will probably cost around $120,000 just to get NAU back here for a game. The same would hold true for ASU traveling to Flagstaff (which many would love to see, myself included). Unfortunately, a lot of things come down to dollars in college athletics.

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I am sure you are mostly correct. ASU probably wants no part of a game in Flagstaff - that would be too risky a game for them. Hence the chicken part.

Geez. ASU has played in far far tougher places than Flagstaff!
No way NAU could afford to give ASU decent compensation for the travel when it draws 7k fans at say 20 bucks a pop..

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM

App State is one of SEVERAL FCS teams that has taken on pretty much anyone and everyone who would play them, home and away. The Mountaineers have negotiated with such programs as North Dakota State, Montana, Northern Iowa and McNeese State this year and have played teams like Northwestern State, Texas State, James Madison, Troy State and Eastern Kentucky in the past several years. Those are teams that I would consider all similar in talent to NAU. They've had home and home contracts with NSU, JMU, Troy State and EKU. Saying they are scared or chicken of a particular team just isn't accurate. The only time I've heard any inkling about ASU worrying about over-scheduling was when a report emerged last year that Jerry Moore had nixed the idea of playing Delaware home and home. That would have given ASU games against JMU and Delaware, along with NC State and Gardner-Webb, last fall. But one time in the 15 years I've been covering the team isn't having a reputation for ducking people. I got in some hot water with the administration in 1995, for example, when I reported that the AD had killed a deal with North Texas State (where Moore had worked as a head coach for the first time) that would have given the Mountaineers winnable games against back-to-back I-A teams to start the season (ASU was No. 2 ranked, behind McNeese State, for almost the whole season in 1995 and won 12 straight games in 1995). They played a home game against Division II Edinboro instead of traveling to North Texas State (to the chagrin of the ASU coaching staff).

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Question is can it outdraw D-2's Mars Hill's 24K?????

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Most people consider several thousand as 3-4 thousand.

Hmmm - NCAA says we average 6,600, ASU averages 20,300
Umm, as we pointed out, the NCAA counts the Thanksgiving holiday's 6 day notice play-off game in the stats. I showed you the regular season game figures from the NCAA's site. NAU is a reg season game as i recall. You didn't have any play-off game to average in, did you?
Strange, too. I never heard 3 or 4 thousand as several thousand before. i would say several thousand would include 6.xcoffeex

mtgrizfan4life
May 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
This goes out to the likes of App State, GSU, Delaware, YSU, NDSU. Most of GRIZNATION would love to play better FCS OOC games. Unfortunately the "powers to be" are not letting that happen. As many know, WA/GRIZ will be expanding again. I believe to be completed come 08 kickoff. ( I could be wrong). Anyway, I am very adament in having a "Quality" opponent help debut it. To bring it in the way it should be brought in. I do not want to see the likes of FT LEWIS or Central Washington to bring it in. I want to see the likes of App State, GSU, NDSU, YSU, or upper tier FCS program, or mid level BCS program. This can happen if "powers to be" at the U of M decide to do this for the good of the fans, GRIZ and FCS fans. Done right it can get television rights. It can be very profitable for both programs. Hell I would be willing to pay 50.00 to 100.00 for a ticket with a quality opponent. Who wants to be that quality opponent? Am I asking/ expecting too much from the "powers to be"?
Once again, congrats to NAU for having the sticktoitiveness for making the APP STATE game happen this coming year.

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
The biggest problem with Montana getting those kind of games is two-fold. One, Montana has this insistence on playing games at home. ASU would schedule Montana for a home and home in a heartbeat. Second, sorry to bring this up again, is that reputation for the Griz to back out of games. You would almost have to sign a deal that would require Montana to come to one of those places first and then get a return game the following year for anyone to schedule something like that on a home and home basis. The idea of premium ticket prices for big-name games is something that is coming into use at the FBS level. Shouldn't be long before FCS teams start looking at that as a new revenue source. That might be a bigger attraction to the top-tier teams in FCS to schedule such games. Great idea!

Ronbo
May 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
This goes out to the likes of App State, GSU, Delaware, YSU, NDSU. Most of GRIZNATION would love to play better FCS OOC games. Unfortunately the "powers to be" are not letting that happen. As many know, WA/GRIZ will be expanding again. I believe to be completed come 08 kickoff. ( I could be wrong). Anyway, I am very adament in having a "Quality" opponent help debut it. To bring it in the way it should be brought in. I do not want to see the likes of FT LEWIS or Central Washington to bring it in. I want to see the likes of App State, GSU, NDSU, YSU, or upper tier FCS program, or mid level BCS program. This can happen if "powers to be" at the U of M decide to do this for the good of the fans, GRIZ and FCS fans. Done right it can get television rights. It can be very profitable for both programs. Hell I would be willing to pay 50.00 to 100.00 for a ticket with a quality opponent. Who wants to be that quality opponent? Am I asking/ expecting too much from the "powers to be"?
Once again, congrats to NAU for having the sticktoitiveness for making the APP STATE game happen this coming year.

Don't worry we get the big name schools at home in late Nov. and Dec. every year. And we don't need to make it a home and home.xlolx

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
And you get all of those great Fort Lewis/Central Washington games during the regular season. At least you've had a couple of great Cal Poly regular-season matchups in recent years.

mtgrizfan4life
May 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Don't worry we get the big name schools at home in late Nov. and Dec. every year. And we don't need to make it a home and home.xlolx

True, but this would be the one time we should start the season and expanded WA/GRIZ on a high note. Also may be a good opportunity to get back quality opponents for home and homes. The deficit has been taken care of. It is time to move forward again. To me moving forward is tougher opponents home and away. I attend every griz football and basketball game. It really hurts we have the reputation we do now with fellow FCS fan bases. I am not asking much, or even for this to happen all the time. Just now and then, especially for something special, such as another expansion being completed. God Knows it is special to the university. Why not make it special to GRIZ fans and FCS fans? Why not test what we have with a quality opponent?

Ronbo
May 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM
We have eight Big Sky games and usually take on the best in the nation in Dec. We can have a Div. II game to get experience for the 3rd stringers, it pays off in the future.

We played 7 top 25's last year and a Big Ten. How many I-AA's can say that about their schedule last year Mr. C? 8 of 14 games were challenging. All indications are the Big Sky will be better this year with Montana State, Portland State, and Northern Arizona all being top 25 quality. Eastern Washington should be much improved also.

Iowa (Big Ten)

Then each of these teams ended the regular season in the top 25.

South Dakota State
Portland State
Cal Poly
Montana State
McNeese State
Southern Illinois
UMass

james_lawfirm
May 10th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yeah, but you blew it last year. I was so pumped on the idea that ASU & Mont. would meet in Chattanooga, I could just about taste it. We did our part, but alas, it was not to be.

On a side note, I just got a DVD from GoASU.com showing highlights of all the games from 2006 & some press interviews with players. Just before the Nat'l Champ. game, Kevin Richardson was being interviewed in Chattanooga (maybe the night before). He said "we are really looking forward to playing Montana in the national championship game. ... I mean Massachusetts." I am not kidding - and he did not appear to be teasing Mont., he just got a brain f$rt. Anyway, it was pretty funny.

So, it seems to me that Montana owes us one. So, why don't you all schedule ASU for a home & home? I would travel in a heartbeat.

Jackluv
May 11th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Geez. ASU has played in far far tougher places than Flagstaff!
No way NAU could afford to give ASU decent compensation for the travel when it draws 7k fans at say 20 bucks a pop..

You sure are confident in your Mountaineers I-AA 2006. xeekx

WyomingGrizFan
May 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM
The idea of premium ticket prices for big-name games is something that is coming into use at the FBS level. Shouldn't be long before FCS teams start looking at that as a new revenue source. That might be a bigger attraction to the top-tier teams in FCS to schedule such games. Great idea!

Jeez. I was willing to pay at least $ 50.00 a ticket if Appalachian State came to Wash-Griz for a game!!! And that's the nose-bleed section.

SoCon48
May 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM

That's not it. Just saying that Flagstaff holds no candle to the intimidation of GSU in Statesboro, JMU in Harrisonburg, Furman in Paladin Stadium, Auburn in Jordan-Haire, LSU in the Bayou, NC State' in Carter-Finley, etc etc etc

" ASU probably wants no part of a game in Flagstaff - that would be too risky a game for them. Hence the chicken part."

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
We have eight Big Sky games and usually take on the best in the nation in Dec. We can have a Div. II game to get experience for the 3rd stringers, it pays off in the future.

We played 7 top 25's last year and a Big Ten. How many I-AA's can say that about their schedule last year Mr. C? 8 of 14 games were challenging. All indications are the Big Sky will be better this year with Montana State, Portland State, and Northern Arizona all being top 25 quality. Eastern Washington should be much improved also.

Iowa (Big Ten)

Then each of these teams ended the regular season in the top 25.

South Dakota State
Portland State
Cal Poly
Montana State
McNeese State
Southern Illinois
UMass
Well, we played 4 top 10, 7 top 25 and an ACC team. I'd say that's pretty comparable. So let's call it 2 FCS teams. xpeacex

UMass
YSU
JMU
MSU
Furman
CCU
Wofford
NC State (ACC)

ucdtim17
May 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
You don't get credit for a tough schedule by counting playoff games. It doesn't quite work that way

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
You don't get credit for a tough schedule by counting playoff games. It doesn't quite work that way
Ok, so that makes Montana's schedule:

Iowa (Big Ten)
South Dakota State
Portland State
Cal Poly
Montana State

And App's:

NC State (ACC)
JMU
Furman
Wofford

CopperCat
May 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Flagstaff may be the most odd place to play in a football game, other than UNI possibly. The "dome effect" is not only physical (no weather factors to worry about) but it is also somehow psychological. Don't dig on NAU just becuase its NAU. Until you win a game in that dome, you won't really know what it is like to play/watch a game in there.

james_lawfirm
May 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM

And what's wrong with that? If you had just dropped down from Mars, and learned that ASU was the 2 time defending nat'l champ, don't you think you would think ASU was the team to beat this coming year?

I would. I am confident others would too.

Jackluv
May 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I obviously didn't say there was anything wrong with that and i think App St. IS the team to beat this year. But there are a certain few who are thinking this NAU game is like playing a DII team and they are just going to waltz right over them. Being the team to beat MIGHT not be so great.

mistersykes
May 12th, 2007, 03:17 AM
there are a certain few who are thinking this NAU game is like playing a DII team and they are just going to waltz right over them.

Those few are ridiculously mistaken, and you probably should take anything else that they say with as many grains of salt as possible. NAU should be a great challenge, and the FCS world should benefit from this matchup.

AppStateold299
May 12th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Those few are ridiculously mistaken, and you probably should take anything else that they say with as many grains of salt as possible. NAU should be a great challenge, and the FCS world should benefit from this matchup.

I agree this will be a formidable opponent for Appalachian State, but everyone has to admit that we are favored in the game. Not saying that NAU will be an easy game in the least bit. I am looking forward to the challenge.

james_lawfirm
May 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I obviously didn't say there was anything wrong with that and i think App St. IS the team to beat this year. But there are a certain few who are thinking this NAU game is like playing a DII team and they are just going to waltz right over them. Being the team to beat MIGHT not be so great.

Jack:
I missed the posters who claimed NAU was like a D2 team. I certainly never said or thought that. Being the team to beat is like having a target on your back all season. We got used to it last season. It just means everyone, ranked teams and unranked teams, bring their best game every Saturday. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope NAU travels well. See you at the ROCK!

AppStateold299
May 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I agree with you that we do have a target on our backs. Everyone expects us to win. It is a big deal to beat the 2 time defending champions, but if we win then it is just expected. I am not cutting or deminishing anyone else that we face. It is just a simple fact that we are favored in every game due to the fact that we are the team to beat right now. No one stays undefeated forever. So it is a mere question of who is going to dethrown the champs. I personally hope that is a long time away. Either way or whenever it happens it is still "GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!" I am looking forward to seeing NAU at the Rock.

SoCon48
May 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Flagstaff may be the most odd place to play in a football game, other than UNI possibly. The "dome effect" is not only physical (no weather factors to worry about) but it is also somehow psychological. Don't dig on NAU just becuase its NAU. Until you win a game in that dome, you won't really know what it is like to play/watch a game in there.

Yep, we played in ETSU's dome for years. Can't recall any adverse pyschological effects. Except it was ugly.

Jackluv
May 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Yep, we played in ETSU's dome for years. Can't recall any adverse pyschological effects. Except it was ugly.

Well you haven't played in the 7,000ft. elevation Walkup Skydome and i can guarantee you, it is not as easy as you think it is. xcoffeex

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well you haven't played in the 7,000ft. elevation Walkup Skydome and i can guarantee you, it is not as easy as you think it is. xcoffeex
Have you not paid any attention on this thread? App State opened the 2004 season at Wyoming, which has the highest elevation of any stadium in America. They have played at MORE THAN 7,000 feet. The elevation was the least of ASU's problems that day. The Mountaineers got off to a bad start that had nothing to do with elevation that day.

Jackluv
May 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Have you not paid any attention on this thread? App State opened the 2004 season at Wyoming, which has the highest elevation of any stadium in America. They have played at MORE THAN 7,000 feet. The elevation was the least of ASU's problems that day. The Mountaineers got off to a bad start that had nothing to do with elevation that day.

i was actually addressing the question of the psychological effects of playing in a dome and saying, "its not as easy as it seems."

i happened to mention the fact that it was at 7,000. xeyebrowx

i really do not want to start your ranting about Wyo that was almost 3 years ago. Next subject please.

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
You keep changing your arguments. First it is elevation, then it is the dome. It is the home team that plays at elevation and in the dome that is important. I don't hear people making a big deal about the elevation and the dome at Idaho State.

Jackluv
May 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM

hahahahahahhaha wow Mr. C.

i was responding to THIS comment and somehow you turn it around on me. Just stop reading my comments and direct YOUR comment at another lumberjack fan. Thankyou and Good luck on Sept. 15th :D

ISU's dome is a hard place to play in, the fans are right on top of you but the elevation isnt that big of a factor at 4,300 ft.

Best of luck.

BigApp
May 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Florida Atlantic didn't seem to have a problem with your elevation in 2003...neither did Furman or Georgia Southern.

Matter of fact IIRC, GSU hung 75 or so on you at 7,000 feet.

Jackluv
May 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Once again, i wasnt responding to ANYTHING about elevation. I-AA 2006 was talking about the psychological effect playing in any dome.

Sir William
May 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I think the elevation is having an effect on Jackluv at this moment.

BigApp
May 12th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Once again, i wasnt responding to ANYTHING about elevation.

sure could've fooled me!

SoCon48
May 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Florida Atlantic didn't seem to have a problem with your elevation in 2003...neither did Furman or Georgia Southern.

Like I said before, us going up 3 or 4 thoudand from Boone to Flagstaff will be like all the SoCon teams coming up from the coastal areas to Boone. Never heard any complaints about the altitude here. Getting their butts kicked, yes, but they didn't blame the altitude.
This whole altitude thing is preposterous.

SoCon48
May 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
hahahahahahhaha wow Mr. C.

i was responding to THIS comment and somehow you turn it around on me. Just stop reading my comments and direct YOUR comment at another lumberjack fan. Thankyou and Good luck on Sept. 15th :D

ISU's dome is a hard place to play in, the fans are right on top of you but the elevation isnt that big of a factor at 4,300 ft.

Best of luck.

Then us going from 3333 to 7K won't be a factor either. That's less than the 4300 diff for us. Thank you for making my case.

Jackluv
May 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
According to a study done at the Olympic Training Altitude Center in Flagstaff, AZ, there is no difference in your oxygen intake and physical exertion between 0-3,000ft. Any jump, of more than 1,000 (over 3,000) will affect physical exertion from an oxygen transferred through blood to muscles stand-point. Although this affects more slow-speed endurance sports (cross-country), it still has an affect on most every sport. There for, someone going say from Cal Poly going to Pocatello to play ISU, will have a much easier time playing there (except for that dome, its crazy there) then a team like ISU who travels another 3,000 ft. to play at 7,000.

Saint3333
May 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I think we can end all the elevation talk. NAU is playing at the kilometer high city with no return trip.

I am very excited about the signing of this game, thank you NAU!

Jackluv
May 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
hahaha i agree. i dont want to argue with other FCS fans

Best of luck to everyone during the season!

dbackjon
May 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM

The GSU game was in Statesboro.

And yes, Furman won in Flagtaff (a game NAU never should have lost), and FAU's athletes were so much faster than NAU's, them losing a half-step didn't hurt them.

There IS a huge difference between playing at 3,500 feet and at 7,000 feet. But, generally it is a small factor unless the teams are evenly matched, or if the visiting team is not in top condition. It effects the lines more than the WR/DB's who are not running on every down.

Elevation is why the Kenyan and Ethopian runners are so good, and 7,000 feet is why many teams, in many sports, from around the world come to Flagstaff to train every year.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM

And yes, Furman won in Flagtaff (a game NAU never should have lost), and FAU's athletes were so much faster than NAU's, them losing a half-step didn't hurt them.

There IS a huge difference between playing at 3,500 feet and at 7,000 feet. But, generally it is a small factor unless the teams are evenly matched, or if the visiting team is not in top condition. It effects the lines more than the WR/DB's who are not running on every down.

Elevation is why the Kenyan and Ethopian runners are so good, and 7,000 feet is why many teams, in many sports, from around the world come to Flagstaff to train every year.

There IS a huge difference between playing at 3,500 feet and at 7,000 feet.

Same thing as a sea level team playing at 3,500 feet.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Lance Armstrong came to Boone for his training. And we know how he did.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM
According to a study done at the Olympic Training Altitude Center in Flagstaff, AZ, there is no difference in your oxygen intake and physical exertion between 0-3,000ft. Any jump, of more than 1,000 (over 3,000) will affect physical exertion from an oxygen transferred through blood to muscles stand-point. Although this affects more slow-speed endurance sports (cross-country), it still has an affect on most every sport. There for, someone going say from Cal Poly going to Pocatello to play ISU, will have a much easier time playing there (except for that dome, its crazy there) then a team like ISU who travels another 3,000 ft. to play at 7,000.

Thanks. Since ASU athletes are already at 3500 feet, then Flagstaff would not be a problem.

Jackluv
May 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks. Since ASU athletes are already at 3500 feet, then Flagstaff would not be a problem.

what do you not understand about that study? i think you might be misreading it.

it is saying that from 0 elevation to 3,000 there is no difference. you might get a tiny bit more winded but nothing you would really notice. from 3500+ any increase in elevation will have an affect on athletes (especially slow speed edurance).

so some1 like Sac St. going to ISU wont be that big of a deal. but ISU coming to NAU will have a major affect.

lets just squash this arguement because ASU isnt going to NAU xthumbsupx

Grizo406
May 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
There IS a huge difference between playing at 3,500 feet and at 7,000 feet.

Same thing as a sea level team playing at 3,500 feet.

A few years ago, when it was the our turn to play in Flagstaff, one of the Griz coaches heard some of the players were worried about the elevation.

He told them that the game was going to be inside, and the elevation wouldn't/shouldn't bother them.xlolx xlolx xlolx They bought it, and we won the game.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
A few years ago, when it was the our turn to play in Flagstaff, one of the Griz coaches heard some of the players were worried about the elevation.

He told them that the game was going to be inside, and the elevation wouldn't/shouldn't bother them.xlolx xlolx xlolx They bought it, and we won the game.

xlolx xlolx Fine quality of athletes you have there :D

PantherRob82
May 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Wow. What a pointless arguement. I thought that would never stop going in circles.xcoffeex

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM
what do you not understand about that study? i think you might be misreading it.

it is saying that from 0 elevation to 3,000 there is no difference. you might get a tiny bit more winded but nothing you would really notice. from 3500+ any increase in elevation will have an affect on athletes (especially slow speed edurance).

so some1 like Sac St. going to ISU wont be that big of a deal. but ISU coming to NAU will have a major affect.

lets just squash this arguement because ASU isnt going to NAU xthumbsupx

No, I don't think I'm misreading it.

I saw nothing in the study that addresses an athlete already trained and living at 3,500 feet and moving up to 7K. From what you presented, it is addressing moving from 0 to 7,000 feet. There is nothing significant about the 7,000 foot level itself. It is the increase of 7,000 feet that is significant. Thus, an increase from 3,500 to 7,000 would be no more significant than from 0 to 3,500.

So the argument of Sac State coming to NAU is valid, but ASU to NAU is not any more than Coastal Carolina University to ASU.

And no, it doesn't look like ASU is going to NAU any time soon. But NAU is coming down 3,500 feet to ASU, so by your premises, NAU should be going fresh in the 4th quarter compared to ASU since NAU's athletes have been trained at 7K feet and playing at 3,500. We shall see.

SoCon48
May 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
xlolx xlolx Fine quality of athletes you have there :D
Evidently since they won.xnodx

already123
May 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
NAU takes it 35-38 in an extremely close game showcasing 2 dynamic offenses. Go ahead people...get upset at me lol

Saint3333
May 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM
NAU takes it 35-38 in an extremely close game showcasing 2 dynamic offenses. Go ahead people...get upset at me lol

No FCS team scores 35 on ASU next season.

No FCS team scored more than 28 on us last year. GSU scored the most points against our first string with 20 points.

The last team to score 35 on ASU was Kansas in the second game of 2005 and that includes games against LSU, NCSU and 8 playoff games.

BigApp
May 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM

not going to get upset...but to add to Saint's post, App is 40-3-0 when scoring 30 or more since 2001...

xpeacex

already123
May 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
true but how often do they face a top 5 offense? NAU will be able to put up points...as they did on pretty much every team they played last year...its just a matter of the defense coming thru

Mountaineer
May 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
true but how often do they face a top 5 offense? NAU will be able to put up points...as they did on pretty much every team they played last year...its just a matter of the defense coming thru

How about your defense stopping our offense? xthumbsupx

Jackluv
May 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
god please let this thread die :)

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
god please let this thread die :)

ASU posters won't let that happen......

But yes, NAU's defense will have its hands full right from the very first play. You will get better after playing that offense for sure.

Mountaineer
May 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
There is this one MSU poster who somehow finds a way into every ASU related thread to complain about said ASU related thread. xchinscratchx xwhistlex

He shall remain nameless. xthumbsupx

xviolinx

GreatAppSt
May 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
There is this one MSU poster who somehow finds a way into every ASU related thread to complain about said ASU related thread. xchinscratchx xwhistlex

He shall remain namless. xthumbsupx

xviolinx

xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM

He shall remain nameless. xthumbsupx

xviolinx

There is also one ASU poster who seems to make it a point to go out of his way to make an example out of said poster.......who is really just joking around.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
yall bring up good points. NAUs D has been skeptical but is improved...

APP will def be challeged as they attempt to slow down NAUs fast paced high scoring offense.

whoever you are rooting for, it has the makings to be a GREAT game

NDSUFREAK
May 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I sure hope your right, 12. If you aren't then you will be eating some serious crow if App State dominates the game. But, anything could happen.

already123
May 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM
oh... i will! lol

Jacks76
May 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
In the 10+ years that I've been actively following NAU football, we have played several Division I-A teams very close and seem to enjoy the underdog mentality.

The 'Jacks have quality athletes at every position and they hit hard, flying to the football on defense (thanks to our historically strong LBing core) and smacking the opposition with the run in short yardage situations. The wide receivers are fast and have excellent hands. The tight ends are very reliable and sturdy.

In recent years, the 'Jacks have lost competitive games to the likes of Arizona State (PAC-10), Arizona (PAC-10), New Mexico (Mountain West), Utah (Mountain West) and Oregon State (PAC-10) -- all FBS/Division I-A football teams.

To see how the 'Jacks have done since 1945, click here:

http://www.michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/narizona.htm

In short, NAU will be quite a challenge for App. State, even in N.C.

Paul

already123
May 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Very well said! Go JackS!!!

SoCon48
June 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM

APP will def be challeged as they attempt to slow down NAUs fast paced high scoring offense.

Last year's ASU defense would have certainly met the challenge. They did vs 15 other teams. Great FCS defense and we're used to a fast paced high scoring offense. It faced a potent high scoring no-huddle offense everyday in pracice.
This year's may turn out to be as good.

SoCon48
June 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM

One more thing. The over riding challenge in this game could well be playing at The Rock not to mention trying to cover 5 receivers spread all over the field on almost every play.
It should be a good match-up.

phillyAPP
June 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM
One more thing. The over riding challenge in this game could well be playing at The Rock not to mention trying to cover 5 receivers spread all over the field on almost every play.
It should be a good match-up.

I agree, covering all the offensive options, the speed, and ONE big mistake can change this game or any game at THE ROCK.

SoCon48
June 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
If we take advantage of the opportunities presented us...I have no worries. If we don't, it could be an excrutiating day.

Mountaineer#96
June 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
whats the home win streak up to now??? its hard to keep track with so many xnodx

already123
June 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
well ya better find out before the 15th...the streak is gonna end.

GO JACKS!

SoCon48
June 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

GO JACKS!

In your dreams!xcoffeex

Mountaineer#96
June 3rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
Mountaineers vs. Lumberjacks .........it fits, this game needs to happen every year.

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
In the 10+ years that I've been actively following NAU football, we have played several Division I-A teams very close and seem to enjoy the underdog mentality.

The 'Jacks have quality athletes at every position and they hit hard, flying to the football on defense (thanks to our historically strong LBing core) and smacking the opposition with the run in short yardage situations. The wide receivers are fast and have excellent hands. The tight ends are very reliable and sturdy.

In recent years, the 'Jacks have lost competitive games to the likes of Arizona State (PAC-10), Arizona (PAC-10), New Mexico (Mountain West), Utah (Mountain West) and Oregon State (PAC-10) -- all FBS/Division I-A football teams.

To see how the 'Jacks have done since 1945, click here:

http://www.michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/narizona.htm

In short, NAU will be quite a challenge for App. State, even in N.C.

Paul

Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about NAU, except that it is in the Big Sky Conf. (I think) & they are the Lumberjacks. How did NAU do last season? How has NAU done in the playoffs? What is the best season you've ever had? How big is your stadium? Avg. attendance at home games? What type of offense & defense can be expected in '07? How long has the head coach been at NAU? Would appreciate anyone's help with the above answers.

bobbythekidd
June 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about NAU, except that it is in the Big Sky Conf. (I think) & they are the Lumberjacks. How did NAU do last season? How has NAU done in the playoffs? What is the best season you've ever had? How big is your stadium? Avg. attendance at home games? What type of offense & defense can be expected in '07? How long has the head coach been at NAU? Would appreciate anyone's help with the above answers.

Here you go.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsky/northern_arizona/yearly_results.php?year=2005

SoCon48
June 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Oh.

CopperCat
June 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM

GO JACKS!

Are you covering as Sean Norton on AGS? Come on man, be realistic here.

already123
June 3rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
NAU runs the weirdest defense known to man (which MSU decided to steal this year...) along with a no-huddle spread offense

CrazyCat
June 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
NAU runs the weirdest defense known to man (which MSU decided to steal this year...) along with a no-huddle spread offense

Let me get this straight. In 2005 NAU had the 8th ranked ttl. defense in the Big Sky, MSU was ranked 1st. So we decided to copy your defensive scheme for 2006 because it was so good.xconfusedx

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Let me get this straight. In 2005 NAU had the 8th ranked ttl. defense in the Big Sky, MSU was ranked 1st. So we decided to copy your defensive scheme for 2006 because it was so good.xconfusedx

I think that is exactly what he said.

NAU did show vast improvement on offense in terms of points scored going from '05 to '06. And their defense kept opponents from not scoring quite as many in '06 as compared to '05. And, they did have a winning record in '06. (But, I still have heard nothing about any playoff experience.) So, they're going in the right direction.

However, I do respectfully suggest that NAU's new QB should be careful about what he says. They don't need to give bulletin board material to your opponents.

It seems to me they're going to have their hands full in Boone.

App Attack
June 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
I have a hard time believing NAU can come to Boone and make a game out of it. Guess we'll see.

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
I have a hard time believing NAU can come to Boone and make a game out of it. Guess we'll see.

I was trying to be nice.

james_lawfirm
June 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Here you go.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsky/northern_arizona/yearly_results.php?year=2005

Thanks.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
I am interested to see what happens in that game. NAU is unfamiliar territory, however, they lost by 7 to Montana State last year. I believe that we will be okay.

already123
June 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
i would first off...yes ASU has had some great teams the past couple of years. yes you have championships and we dont. but i urge you to not be so dern cocky...ASU is NOT all high and mighty! On any given saturday right?
NAU was one pos. away from wins against Montana, MSU, and PSU last year....and they also had Arizona St. scared *****less in the 4th quarter. Though its obvious that NAU has its weaknesses, dont count them out. I promise you they didnt schedule this game for any other reason other than a win and national respect.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2007, 04:57 AM
i would first off...yes ASU has had some great teams the past couple of years. yes you have championships and we dont. but i urge you to not be so dern cocky...ASU is NOT all high and mighty! On any given saturday right?
NAU was one pos. away from wins against Montana, MSU, and PSU last year....and they also had Arizona St. scared *****less in the 4th quarter. Though its obvious that NAU has its weaknesses, dont count them out. I promise you they didnt schedule this game for any other reason other than a win and national respect.

The biggest thing NAU has going for it is that ASU may be pretty beaten up physically from the Michigan game. At least that's what I'd keep telling myself if I was an NAU fan.

asu70
June 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Coach Moore does not take any opponent lightly and cetainly not NAU. It will take a major effort on NAU's part to win in Boone but that's why we play the game instead of just talking about games.

SoCon48
June 7th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well said, 70!!!!

already123
June 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
yea yea...ya'll are just NAU-Haters! lol xlolx

BrevardMountaineer03
June 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Okay....It's time to bring out the stats..... (taken from
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/DIVISION2.HTML

First off Sacks Allowed.....(Per Game Averages)
Appalachian State 1.20 Ranked 27th in the Nation 5th in the Southern Conference

Northern Arizona 3.27 Ranked 113th in the Nation 6th in the Big Sky Conference

The reason Norton threw an 80 yard touchdown on his back is because it seems your OL is allowing too many sacks. In fact the Big Sky Leader in Sacks Allowed was Idaho St. with 2.27 per game. That means there were at least 5 schools in the Southern Conference that would have lead the Big Sky, and ASU would have lead the Big Sky by 1 whole sack per game.

Now let's move to Sacks

Appalachian State 2.47 23rd in the Nation 2nd in the Conference

Northern Arizona 2.55 19th in the Nation 2nd in the Conference

I would think that in a Conference that gives up as many sacks as the Big Sky did last year that NAU's number of Sacks a game would have been higher. Yes, it is better then ASU's by .08 a game.
What I see is that ASU's OL and DL (Granted we lost 3 starters on the DL) will matchup better then NAU's lines.
This isn't hate, it's just an opinion that is backed up by facts.

WyomingGrizFan
June 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I'd have to admit that it was reported that NAU ran a 3 - 3 - 5 last year against MSU in Bozeman. That is, three DL, three LBs and five DBs. I don't know anyone copying that, though Kramer did incorporate a 3 - 4 defensive scheme, but I thought that was two years ago.

already123
June 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM

I'd have to admit that it was reported that NAU ran a 3 - 3 - 5 last year against MSU in Bozeman. That is, three DL, three LBs and five DBs. I don't know anyone copying that, though Kramer did incorporate a 3 - 4 defensive scheme, but I thought that was two years ago.

umm...thats what I said xcoffeex

Appdad
June 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm just glad NAU agreed to the game!

Thank you NAU.

already123
June 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM
yea, but App didnt want to do a home and home situation...scared?

james_lawfirm
June 10th, 2007, 07:16 PM

PUH-LEEEZZZZZZ!!

Yep, we're gonna go play Michigan, but we're too skeered to play NAU.
xazzx xazzx xazzx

NOT. I hope you fellers bring your best game to the ROCK! xthumbsupx

Saint3333
June 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Nope it was just about $$$. ASU pays $175K to NAU for the game, while making $350K each home game.

NAU makes more money for this game than they would for a home game. Win - win fiscally.