PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week until Facilities Announcements

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Next Wednesday, May 9th, will be the first of many JMU Duke Club Banquets around the region happening in Fairfax, VA. I will be there along with many other excited JMU fans to see what official announcements we will have regarding facilities upgrades.

My guess is the most immediate upgrade will be a new press box. Secondly, and what more of us really want to know, is what the longer range plan is for stadium expansion. Hopefully they'll even have some architectural drawings and renderings of future facilities.

I'll report back next week with the news, unless some other fan beats me to it.

xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex

Za-KEE-uS
May 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Next Wednesday, May 9th, will be the first of many JMU Duke Club Banquets around the region happening in Fairfax, VA. I will be there along with many other excited JMU fans to see what official announcements we will have regarding facilities upgrades.

My guess is the most immediate upgrade will be a new press box. Secondly, and what more of us really want to know, is what the longer range plan is for stadium expansion. Hopefully they'll even have some architectural drawings and renderings of future facilities.

I'll report back next week with the news, unless some other fan beats me to it.

xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex :) xpeacex
Sounds good. Drawings or renderings would be great xpeacex :D

89Hen
May 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Secondly, and what more of us really want to know, is what the longer range plan is for stadium expansion.
My hope for you is the tear down of one of the sides moving it closer to the field with a new, bigger side including luxury and press boxes taking Bridgeforth to 23,000. Anything bigger at this time would be a mistake IMO.

GeauxColonels
May 2nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Sounds good. Drawings or renderings would be great xpeacex :D
DEFINITELY!!! I expect a full report with as many illustrations as possible!

rufus
May 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
My hope for you is the tear down of one of the sides moving it closer to the field with a new, bigger side including luxury and press boxes taking Bridgeforth to 23,000. Anything bigger at this time would be a mistake IMO.
Based on the most recent plan I've heard, you're almost dead on with your plan for Bridgeforth. The capacity number I've heard for the first phase is 25,500 though. Not much different.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
that would be great to hear up there in harrisonburg... look forward to hearing about what the plans are for your stadium

grayghost06
May 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Gotta think that if your initial phase assesment is correct ( ie: pressbox ), then it would necessitate tearing down one side, and begin the re-build where lane 1 of the track would be. It just wouldn't make sense to me to put up a new pressbox right away on the existing structure since that essentially puts a cap on the height of those stands. If JMU is expanding with the option to make it 1A size in future years, we're going to need new sideline stands utilizing the given space we have and a good chunk of that space is those 8 lanes of track ringing the field.

rufus
May 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
One side will be torn down before the press box is built.

rufus
May 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
that would be great to hear up there in harrisonburg... look forward to hearing about what the plans are for your stadium
Yeah, this is pretty big news for JMU and most fans are pretty excited. In addition to the immediate expansion plans, our AD will be sharing the long-term vision and overall timeline for further expansion. From what I hear, he will also be sharing renderings of the new basketball arena, indoor practice facility, and possibly the new baseball/softball stadiums.

This is by far the biggest facilities news ever at JMU. We've been waiting for over five years for the administration to announce it's plans to the public, and the day is almost here

th0m
May 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Exciting times! As long as I have some sort of official numbers, timelines and of course imagery, I can maybe make it through the summer w/o football!

jmuroller
May 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
I've heard a press box and suites with an upper deck on the parking deck side for the first expansion. Then permanent end zone seats for the next one. After that tear Godwin side down and rebuild, with the possibility of also tearing down Godwin Hall.

89Hen
May 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Based on the most recent plan I've heard, you're almost dead on with your plan for Bridgeforth. The capacity number I've heard for the first phase is 25,500 though. Not much different.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx And they didn't even consult me. :D

henfan
May 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Sounds great! Congrats to JMU.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I've heard a press box and suites with an upper deck on the parking deck side for the first expansion. Then permanent end zone seats for the next one. After that tear Godwin side down and rebuild, with the possibility of also tearing down Godwin Hall.

This has been the overall consensus among us speculators. It will be nice to have some concrete plans voiced publicly by the school. We'll know in less than a week! xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds great! Congrats to JMU.

Now if only Delaware could update their facilities... we know you hen fans have been wanting to see some updates to the "Tub" for quite a while. I really do hope moves like this by JMU will encourage Delaware and other school administrations to follow suit. xpeacex

GannonFan
May 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Now if only Delaware could update their facilities... we know you hen fans have been wanting to see some updates to the "Tub" for quite a while. I really do hope moves like this by JMU will encourage Delaware and other school administrations to follow suit. xpeacex

Maybe we're just waiting to see your plans so that we can do the same with maybe 1 or 2 more seats??? :p :p :p :p

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Whatever it takes to get all the CAA stadiums renovated, big and filled! xthumbsupx

GannonFan
May 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Whatever it takes to get all the CAA stadiums renovated, big and filled! xthumbsupx

Well, we do have the last 2 in that equation already well taken care of. xthumbsupx

th0m
May 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Are any of the JMU (or other school's of course) fans from AGS actually going to this thing so we can read about it here? (since the CAAZone is still down)

TheRock21
May 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I was on my way back from Pennsylvannia yesterday and decided to stop by the campus and walk around a bit. Beautiful campus by the way, good size and easy to get to right off I-81. Your stadium is great with the big "M" in the stands and the field turf. I see what you guys a saying about the ease for expansion, especially under the scoreboard because it's pushed so far back near the train tracks. Really a nice facility that I will be coming to next year when App rolls into town. Overall I was impressed, just some of my random thoughts. :D

Dukie95
May 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Are any of the JMU (or other school's of course) fans from AGS actually going to this thing so we can read about it here? (since the CAAZone is still down)

I'll be there.

dbackjon
May 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'll be there.

Will be awaiting your report!!

th0m
May 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I was on my way back from Pennsylvannia yesterday and decided to stop by the campus and walk around a bit. Beautiful campus by the way, good size and easy to get to right off I-81. Your stadium is great with the big "M" in the stands and the field turf. I see what you guys a saying about the ease for expansion, especially under the scoreboard because it's pushed so far back near the train tracks. Really a nice facility that I will be coming to next year when App rolls into town. Overall I was impressed, just some of my random thoughts. :D

Good to hear! Should be a great game.

Will be awaiting your report!!

Ditto!

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM

seems the zone is struggling to get back on it's feet, anyone else tried today?

And as far as the plans go, somehow I had completely forgotten about this being the day! WoooHoooo, now I can get all wound up again!xthumbsupx Someone PLEASE take your blackberry or laptop or something with you to Maggiano's and give us the scoop!

th0m
May 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Dukie in another thread said it's back up, but they cleared their DNS servers or something like that. At least they're making progress....

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thom, go check it out. One moment it's there, then "the thread you requested is not avaialble" then "you are not permitted to view that information", then something else, rinse and repeat. It's pretty funny actually, esp. for someone who doesn't know a dam thing about what they're doing!

th0m
May 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
All I get is "Can't find the webpage" :(

Oehh wait, I got a Site Temporarily Unavailable ;)

Dukie95
May 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
All I get is "Can't find the webpage" :(

Oehh wait, I got a Site Temporarily Unavailable ;)

You still have the old DNS information. Actually, we're shut out now anyway and only admins can login. It says:

Boards Not Ready Yet!
Thanks for being patient guys, we're trying to get everything up and running as soon as possible.

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'll be there.

'95, you have any means to get some word out to us back here? Or maybe the zone if it's back up? Either one... Can't wait. What time do the talks/speeches start?

Dukie95
May 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
'95, you have any means to get some word out to us back here? Or maybe the zone if it's back up? Either one... Can't wait. What time do the talks/speeches start?

I've posted to the caazone with my blackberry lots in the past, but I've never tried AGS. I guess I'll find out if it works tonight...

Cocktail hour starts at 6, xbeerchugx then the program starts at 7. As for when the big news comes...probably closer to 9: xbangx

McTailGator
May 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Congrats.

I hope things are less burecratic for you guys than we have to endure here in Louisiana. After 2 years of privatefund raising, we finally got the state to award our first contract for the Architectural design for new McNeese Field House with endzone Club House.

Ground breaking should be in 2008.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

813Jag
May 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Congrats.

I hope things are less burecratic for you guys than we have to endure here in Louisiana. After 2 years of privatefund raising, we finally got the state to award our first contract for the Architectural design for new McNeese Field House with endzone Club House.

Ground breaking should be in 2008.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg
That's great. xthumbsupx We were supposed to break ground in March. Now they're saying in the summer xconfusedx

McTailGator
May 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
That's great. xthumbsupx We were supposed to break ground in March. Now they're saying in the summer xconfusedx

I thought this was cool too. 420 Club seats, 2 bars, up stairs. New audio cisual and meeting rooms for the team, and even a multi-laned 40 yard running track inside the new weight room. New expanded ticket office with Hall of Fame Lobby area. Should be first class.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/floorplan.jpg

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Bump while I very IMpatiently await
some word from the "Do" at
Maggiano's...xwhistlex

FlyYtown
May 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Should be interesting to see when its announced!
Go Guins

Dukie95
May 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry, but It was a little disappointing actually. If you've been following what's been going on with the plans for rebuilding the High School property for baseball, you already know everything.

They couldn't release any specific details on any football plans because they hadn't been approved by the BOV. Basically, they talked about some of the things they're considering for football, but if you took their survey, you already knew what they were, club level, suites, etc.

They did mention that the first phase would likely include growth to 22,000 seats, and any other phases after that would be increases of 5,000 seats each. However, no time line was provided for that phase 1 delivery.

Final plans and drawings won't be completed for another 6-12 months.

Dukie95
May 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
They did mention YSU and how they have wedding receptions up in their stadium boxes, and we're looking at being able to provide similar facilities.

It wasn't the only time YSU was mentioned as a good model for what other FCS schools that we intent to compete with have...if we intend to compete at that level, our faclilities should also be at that level.

JMU2k_DukeDog was also there...he can fill in if I missed anything.

JMUfan2008
May 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Sorry, but It was a little disappointing actually. If you've been following what's been going on with the plans for rebuilding the High School property for baseball, you already know everything.

They couldn't release any specific details on any football plans because they hadn't been approved by the BOV. Basically, they talked about some of the things they're considering for football, but if you took their survey, you already knew what they were, club level, suites, etc.

They did mention that the first phase would likely include growth to 22,000 seats, and any other phases after that would be increases of 5,000 seats each. However, no time line was provided for that phase 1 delivery.

wow...again disappointed by JMU athletics...6-12 months for drawings...how do they not have drawings yet...they had to have been planning on an imminent expansion for the past 3 years...plus they've apparently had all 7 phases of the stadium planned out since it was built, how do we not have drawings?!

th0m
May 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Time difference time shmifference.... anyway... when I wake up tomorrow morning...good things will be read by me hopefully ;)

Longhorn
May 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Well, I'd be disappointed if I had acutally expected this administration to have changed its spots. A year ago word was leaked "be patient - you'll know in a year" ....well, what's happened since then? The General Assembly gave permission more than a year ago to expand the stadium...since then an RFP went out and somekind of architectual contract was awarded....and there have been multiple BOV meetings, the last one on June 16th. So why no plans to kick off the Duke Club Chapter meetings? Jimminy Cricket....actual construction documents may not be ready for 6 months (or longer)...but there MUST be an architectural rendering of the PROJECTED expansion that could, and should be shared now for purposes of promoting fundraising.

whitey
May 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Definite disappointment.

bluehenbillk
May 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
As a UD fan I feel your pain. We've outgrown the Tub but have dealt with an administration that couldn't care less about modernizing/expanding our stadium. With a new President about ready to step in, one that played college football & was recruited by Tubby Raymond, there is some hope that things may actually change, again it's just hope right now.

As a 1-AA college football fan you have to appreciate the steps JMU has taken on & off the field, especially in comparison to some of the other less-desirable CAA roadtrips.

89Hen
May 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Sorry to hear about the delay, but I am glad to hear they took my advice on the capacity increases. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Dukie95
May 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
It wasn't all disappointingly bad.

To be clear, they did talk in broad terms that expansion is GOING To happen, they just couldn't provide details or pretty pictures, which is sorta what everyone was expecting.

In addition, they framed all the changes around a broader context that population trends in the state of Virginia will mandate that the university should plan to support 22,000 students (from 16,000 today) in 5-10 years, so the athletic faclility improvements were/are being considered in concert with other significant growth plans throughout the university - such as annexing the recently purchased High Schools and Hospital properties.

There was some exciting news around the baseball/softball complex. It is expected to be complete by 2009, it will have ample parking, concessions, restrooms and will allow us to finally host the CAA tournament in baseball/softball. It will also be used by the Harrisonburg Turks minor league team.

It was a tough year for the athletic department, but they also emphasized that all our varsity sports teams will now soon be fully funded, and we expect to compete for the CAA title in all our sports each year. Leaner yet meaner, I guess.

rufus
May 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I have a feeling there's more to the story here. About a month back or so, Moseley Architects had some files related to Bridgeforth stored in a public FTP "upload" folder. Included were some specifications indicating that the first round of expansion would go to 25.5k. There were also some CAD drawings, but I don't have AutoCAD. It certainly gave the appearance that things were a little further along than the administration is indicating.

Now I'm wondering whether the pending Title IX lawsuit has anything to do with delaying the announcement of stadium expansion. With the plantiffs arguing that JMU is cutting sports to provide more money for football, announcing a large-scale stadium expansion really doesn't look so good. It's easier to get away with a baseball complex -- especially when it includes a softball field as well.

rufus
May 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
It wasn't all disappointingly bad.

To be clear, they did talk in broad terms that expansion is GOING To happen, they just couldn't provide details or pretty pictures, which is sorta what everyone was expecting.

In addition, they framed all the changes around a broader context that population trends in the state of Virginia will mandate that the university should plan to support 22,000 students (from 16,000 today) in 5-10 years, so the athletic faclility improvements were/are being considered in concert with other significant growth plans throughout the university - such as annexing the recently purchased High Schools and Hospital properties.
So we're going to 22,000 students? I guess that shoots down the notion that our growth will stop at 20k, as many JMU posters have speculated. Back in the late 1990s, we were supposed to stop growing at 12k, then it was 15k, then 20k, and now 22k. Looking at enrollment summaries on JMU's website, it looks like the university is currently at 16,970 and continuing to grow at about 500-700 students per year. I don't know - I guess I have mixed feelings on all the growth.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Yes, it was definitely an all sports kind of night recognizing some great accomplishments such as the women's basketball bid to the NCAA tourney, Kellen Kulbaki as NCAA Baseball's Co-Player of the Year, and the baseball / softball facilities complex. Dukie95 summed it quite well.

Rufus - regarding the 25.5 K stadium - they didn't give a specific number but rather said that the initial expansion of Bridgeforth would be in the range of 22K - 25K. I too agree that the BOV could have done something faster to approve the "plans", so yes, the pending lawsuit seems to be a factor, although it could also be a crutch and an excuse for not moving forward faster.

The only other details I would mention is that I was told "off the record" (again, we all kind of know this plan) that Godwin side will be torn down and rebuilt closer to the field (no track), the stadium will be bowled in the endzone, the other side will eventually be torn down and rebuilt closer to the field (again, no track), and finally there will be a second tier of seating built on both sides. Eventually we're talking a 45K - 50K stadium when all is said and done I think. At this rate, it might happen by 2100... xrolleyesx

Expect ground breaking in 2009 as well and two years to complete Phase I. What does this mean? No move up for at least another 5-10 years, if not longer. That should keep Ralph and the many on here who are FCS crazy happy. xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
May 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hey, good news at least on the baseball front - Harrisonburg would be a shorter drive than Wilmington is so if they do move the baseball tourney (or at least rotate it) then the more Northern climes could actually have a shot of attending.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
If it doesn't at least rotate to JMU on occasion, then it would be a real slap in the face from the CAA.

89Hen
May 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Now I'm wondering whether the pending Title IX lawsuit has anything to do with delaying the announcement of stadium expansion. With the plantiffs arguing that JMU is cutting sports to provide more money for football, announcing a large-scale stadium expansion really doesn't look so good.
Just have field hockey and women's lacrrose move from the track field to Bridgeforth, problem solved. :D

rufus
May 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Just have field hockey and women's lacrrose move from the track field to Bridgeforth, problem solved. :D
"We swear your honor, we need 25,000 seats because the Harrisonburg community is extremely interested in field hockey..." xrolleyesx

Dukie95
May 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
So we're going to 22,000 students? I guess that shoots down the notion that our growth will stop at 20k, as many JMU posters have speculated. Back in the late 1990s, we were supposed to stop growing at 12k, then it was 15k, then 20k, and now 22k. Looking at enrollment summaries on JMU's website, it looks like the university is currently at 16,970 and continuing to grow at about 500-700 students per year. I don't know - I guess I have mixed feelings on all the growth.

Well, JMU is a public school, and as the population grows so do the enrollments of all the public schools, save W&M and VMI, I guess. If we do have 22,000 students, it wouldn't make much sense to play football in a 16,000 seat stadium. The stadium expansion is less about puffing out our football chest or going to I-A, and more about simply keeping up with the size of the student body, and Virginia's educational demands.

GannonFan
May 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well, JMU is a public school, and as the population grows so do the enrollments of all the public schools, save W&M and VMI, I guess. If we do have 22,000 students, it wouldn't make much sense to play football in a 16,000 seat stadium. The stadium expansion is less about puffing out our football chest or going to I-A, and more about simply keeping up with the size of the student body, and Virginia's educational demands.

So you're going to expand the football stadium for educational reasons now??? :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

th0m
May 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I have a feeling there's more to the story here. About a month back or so, Moseley Architects had some files related to Bridgeforth stored in a public FTP "upload" folder. Included were some specifications indicating that the first round of expansion would go to 25.5k. There were also some CAD drawings, but I don't have AutoCAD. It certainly gave the appearance that things were a little further along than the administration is indicating.

Now I'm wondering whether the pending Title IX lawsuit has anything to do with delaying the announcement of stadium expansion. With the plantiffs arguing that JMU is cutting sports to provide more money for football, announcing a large-scale stadium expansion really doesn't look so good. It's easier to get away with a baseball complex -- especially when it includes a softball field as well.

Still have those CAD drawings? Because I do have AutoCAD.

Dukie95
May 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
So you're going to expand the football stadium for educational reasons now??? :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

lol..the transitive property doesn't apply here...xsmiley_wix

Virginia's population and educational demands will require that the student body increase
A 16,000 seat stadium will be inadequate for that number of students.

Just like the dining hall, library, rec center..etc..etc...

89Hen
May 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
"We swear your honor, we need 25,000 seats because the Harrisonburg community is extremely interested in field hockey..." xrolleyesx
Absolutely! They also probably have people lined up to buy luxury boxes for women's lacrosse. xthumbsupx

Longhorn
May 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Well, that's not going to happen 89...Bridgeforth was designated as a "FB" only facility almost 10 years ago...but this slooooooow motion renovation is driving all JMU fans nuts.

A couple points from my vantage point as a loyal member of the purple and gold faculty....JMU's been headed towards an enrollment of 22k for the better part of a decade. It's not a surprise to me or others close to the story...JMU's been on this road towards transitioning into "Big State U" since 1995. The exact number of the enrollment growth varies, but the 22k+ number actually first appeared in planning documents produced by SCHEV (the State Council of Higher Ed for VA) during the Gilmore administration in the late '90s. But do you think that number would be shared openly with the public? Heck no. Why? Because it's a planning document, and because that's the way JMU's upper-admin thinks and works. (Mini-lesson here...just think about how the JMU's upper-admin announced/handled the recent elimination of 10 sports, then apply those methods to EVERYTHING else that goes on at JMU). And I say this as a person who agrees with the decision to eliminate the sports that got the ax, and who believes JMU generally makes excellent decisions when managing its resources. That said, JMU's upper-admin remains "public-relations challenged" and is absolutely pathetic when it comes to effectively sharing JMU's side of a story, particularly when it comes to fundraising. We're getting better at both (PR and fundraising)...but from my inside seat, having worked with 6 different VPs of development etc., we've got a long, long way to go before we're a success story.

Which brings me to the other point...yes, there is more to share regarding the FB expansion that could have been shared...should have been shared by now...especially in the way of images....and the delay may indeed be (once again) due to an overly cautious JMU admin waiting to see what happens with the "Save Our Sports" suit. If so, this is a miscalculation in my opinion. The SOS suit will take care of itself...the momentum to expand and build on the fan excitement around the FB program is now...delays serve no purpose other than to frustrate and turn-off loyal followers. And the intent to build out to 25.5 with new VIP and Press boxes, then add on in 5k segments is exactly in keeping with Pres. Roses' vision of JMU remaining a major part of the CAA (and playing FCS ball) throughout his tenure (think 10-12 more years minimum...JMU Presidents generally serve very long terms). Again, I think a decision to remain in the CAA and play FCS FB is the right decision, and one I support, but Jimminy Cricket...Rose needs to get his FB plan out there so the JMU masses can support it!

LegacyDuke08
May 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
To my knowledge in 2 years they are tearing down the Chairback side and building it starting at the edge of the field and going up to the parking deck but being much steeper than before. The year after that will be the student side and after that will be the pressbox and bowling in with luxury boxes and all

th0m
May 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
So what are the measures then to prevent a temporary loss of capacity while they knock down either side?

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Just got in to check and well, let's just say I'm a little underwhelmed. Again.

In essence they announced nothing new, then huh? I am fully aware the WBB team made the NCAA. I know we bought HHS and are making it a baseball/softball facility that's supposed to be pretty nice and somewhere there are some plans that may have us expanding Bridgeforth by a few thousand seats...That's it? that's whatcha got? I swear in the last month I've received one to three e-mails a week "This is the Event you've been waiting for" Come hear all about the exciting future of JMU athletics" Don't, DON'T wanna miss this one!"
ummm, yea. I hope the Buffet and one free draft beer was good. xrolleyesx

Most comprehensive thing I've gotten out of this has been what's posted by '08...xnonono2x

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think that's how a lot of us felt last night D&D... oh well... I guess we should be used to this by now. And I guess we are, otherwise the tone of these posts would have been much angrier.xcoolx

aggie6thman
May 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
If we do have 22,000 students, it wouldn't make much sense to play football in a 16,000 seat stadium.

Jeez, must be nice to have that sort of demand. We have just over 30,000 students and last year played in a stadium that seated about 7,300. Now we have a brand new one that will seat 12,000. I envy that kind of support!xnodx

JMUfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
It's just frustrating from so many points...as Longhorn was saying, JMU isn't very good at PR or Fundraising. What is the #1 way they could double the amount of donations this year? Show us drawings and say "we're starting this in 2 years, the more money we have the faster it can be built, give us money". Instead, they give us a vague idea of what might happen when anyone on any of the athletics boards knows more than what has been shared to THE REST OF THE PEOPLE GIVING MONEY (or supposed to be giving money). Also, I'm tired of all this SOS stuff, I wish they would realize that they're hurting the university by doing this. If you want to go after Title IX, fine, sure JMU could have handled it better giving full explanations of why they actually cut all 10 sports instead of grouping it all under Title IX, but honestly, get over it. JMU just needs to start this stuff rolling, I think I'm just gonna send Dr. Rose an email asking what's going on with the stadium and why we don't have the real info.

rufus
May 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I can't wait until the CAAZone is up and running again, so JMU fans can start debating our administration's latest communication failure. Some trusted JMU "insiders" on that board were claiming for months that we would be amazed, astonished, etc. We learned nothing new.

I picture Jeff Bourne stepping up to the podium and saying, "So like, we bought the old Harrisonburg high school about a year back, and uh, we're going to build a baseball and softball complex or whatever. It should be pretty nice I guess, but we don't really know the details yet. And oh yeah, we're going to expand the football stadium. Bet you didn't know that! We're planning on planning to develop a plan regarding the specifics, but it should have like 22k or 50k seats or whatever when all is said and done. There are going to be some phases and stuff too. We think there's going to be a press box at some point. Maybe. And so there you have it -- everything you could want to know and more." xsmhx

Any word on the basketball arena?

JMUfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Jeez, must be nice to have that sort of demand. We have just over 30,000 students and last year played in a stadium that seated about 7,300. Now we have a brand new one that will seat 12,000. I envy that kind of support!xnodx

Yeah, compared to the start of the 2004 season, support has grown A LOT..who knew a national championship would do that..haha. I think we averaged 108% of capacity this year and I know for Family Weekend and especially Homecoming we turned away a lot of people.

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
So, how was the Pasta? All the stuff "announced" we have known about for months.

I wasn't exactly expecting the announcement of "we're making the application tomorrow to go FBS, the expansion will begin within the week to an eventual 45k stadium etc". But SOMETHING, ANYTHING. So much for that.

I had a conversation with another Coach just last Wednesday, he an '83 grad proudly wearing his '04 C-ship hat, I asked if he had gone to Chattanooga, he said no and that he and his dad are season tick holders at Uva. Then he says ,"but I been telling my dad that if JMU EVER steps up to I-A thats it, I'm switching over. I responded "I won't go that far, but apparently mid next week there is supposed to be some pretty exciting news afoot". He says- "really", I says "yea". Geeez, what to tell him now?!?xconfusedx

I'm sure he'll be stoked to hear about the WBB team and renovated baseball field...

Hell, i'll take it a bit OT- did Keener at least have anything useful to say? How about Mick and our "new" O? xbangx

EDIT: this is another kids Coach, like me, on the field. NOT a JMU Coach, that sounded wrong the way I wrote it...

mcveyrl
May 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
xcoffeex xcoffeex

Same ole, same ole.

I'm not surprised...To have drawings would mean a commitment on some level and nobody in the JMU admin has been willing to do that in a long time regarding the FB program. Everything is just as much speculation now as it was on Tues. Nobody knows what's going on...

Of course, if this means a delayed jump to FBS (which, by the way, is also complete speculation) then I'm good.

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xbawlingx

And like the sun rising in the east, this appears in my inbox:

"Get first word on JMU sports programs from Head Coaches and Student-Athletes, fundraising efforts from the Duke Club staff, and future athletic plans from Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne."

First word? First word?!? Wha? we talkin 'bout FIRST WORD? Ummm, no. xrotatehx and around and around we go...

Longhorn
May 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
An initial build-out to 25k would be wise...30k might be pushing things...but who knows what they're really thinking? The first "expansion" is the most important as its structural aspects will impact the follow-on "phased" construction, so yes, everyone recognizes JMU needs to be careful and do it right. But the idea that the Duke Club has no role in this process and can't be trusted with a "picture" is laughable. Right now I feel as tho we're being given the "mushroom treatment"...i.e kept in the dark and fed nothing but fertilizer. As I've said before, if this administration was in charge of D-Day Hitler's grandson would now be ruling "Fortress Europe" and Rose and his minions would still be posting internet polls asking what kind of MREs we'd all like served on the beaches of Normany.

Obviously, there are illustrations that exist...architectural images and renderings that could be shared now to generate enthusiasm and support. Certainly these images should have been shared earlier as part of that inane "survey" about what kind of VIP suites JMUers would support, or at the latest, these pics/schematics should have been "unveiled" when kicking off the Duke Club Chapter tours.

If JB's hands were tied by Rose or King, and in essence JB was not allowed to share more specific details about the FB expansion with the Duke Club, then Rose and King should be called on the carpet and sternly asked to explain themselves. This is no way to treat the folks (student's included w/their fees) who pay the freight on JMU athletics. We should be made to feel as if we're an integral part of the process, not some flea on the back of the mighty Duke Dog.

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
'Horn, I agree wholeheartedly on the survey thing. It was essentially useless to ask these broad general questions about "would you lik eto see Club seating?" Hell, I don't know. Where? I don't have the section #'s of Bridgeforth memorized. Where would they be? Are they just converted existing seats? A new build out or what? There has to be something drawn up somewhere, why the resistance to whetting the appetite of the most faithful Dukes.

Dukie95
May 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hell, i'll take it a bit OT- did Keener at least have anything useful to say? How about Mick and our "new" O? xbangx.

They didn't speak. If you didn't talk to the coaches personally, you didn't hear from them. That was also disappointing.

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
They didn't speak. If you didn't talk to the coaches personally, you didn't hear from them. That was also disappointing.

Say it ain' so! xsmhx

So (and yes at some point I'll let this go :) ) what yuo got was a rehash of a bunch of stuff anyone paying attention already knows and you got to hear it from the one guy most of the faithful scratch their collective heads about. sounds great!xthumbsupx And to think i almost made the journey up to Tysons for that...grumble

Dukie95
May 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Say it ain' so! xsmhx

So (and yes at some point I'll let this go :) ) what yuo got was a rehash of a bunch of stuff anyone paying attention already knows and you got to hear it from the one guy most of the faithful scratch their collective heads about. sounds great!xthumbsupx And to think i almost made the journey up to Tysons for that...grumble

Basically yeah. The best part was the company...it was nice to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while, and won't see again until the fall.

DunkandDukin
May 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Did you ask Keener if he was one of the people we'd see in the fall?xsmiley_wix

Okay, I'm done.xcoolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Any word on the basketball arena?

Funny you should ask. No.

I talked with Kenny Brooks for a while before the "presentation". He told me how much he loves the Convo and hates the idea of a new bigger arena in the style of the Ted at ODU. He said that you can really feel the fans breathing down your neck at the Convo and that the band's presence was also very strong in that building. Following our conversation, I was expecting to hear about something regarding those facilities.

Nothing... xnonono2x

Longhorn
May 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Funny you should ask. No.

I talked with Kenny Brooks for a while before the "presentation". He told me how much he loves the Convo and hates the idea of a new bigger arena in the style of the Ted at ODU. He said that you can really feel the fans breathing down your neck at the Convo and that the band's presence was also very strong in that building. Following our conversation, I was expecting to hear about something regarding those facilities.

Nothing... xnonono2x

I really appreciate KB and what he's done with the women's BB team/program, but the Convo is a barn. It has terrible sight lines, worse ammenities, and accomodations for students courtside are grossly insufficient. If KB was trying to suggest he'd not swap places with the Ted he's off in la-la land. Or maybe KB would like to stay in the Convo after the men move on and play in a brand new, state-of-the-art place? Don't hold your breath...he'll jump at a new home (the recruiting implications alone would make it a no-brainer), but KB (loyal JMUer that he is...he did just get a nice raise afterall xnodx ) is no-doubt toeing the party line.

jmuroller
May 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM
To my knowledge in 2 years they are tearing down the Chairback side and building it starting at the edge of the field and going up to the parking deck but being much steeper than before. The year after that will be the student side and after that will be the pressbox and bowling in with luxury boxes and all

There's no way they could do this. What are they going to do the year after they tear down the Godwin side? We won't have a press box for that year. I think that is pretty important in a football game. If I was to guess they could tear down the parking garage side, then build a press box/suites on that side the following year. Then in year #3 do the Godwin side. JMO

May 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM
So when is JMU leaving the FCS?

FlyYtown
May 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
So when is JMU leaving the FCS? It sounds like you want a team to move onto bigger and better things Ralph!!!! Finally you see the light!
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx
http://my.opera.com/zenya/homes/blog/Morning%20Light%2010-03.JPG

PantherRob82
May 11th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It sounds like you want a team to move onto bigger and better things Ralph!!!! Finally you see the light!
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx
http://my.opera.com/zenya/homes/blog/Morning%20Light%2010-03.JPG

you should never mistake Ralph as encouraging moves to FBS. xlolx

jmuroller
May 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
So when is JMU leaving the FCS?

If the opportunity is there and we are ready...then we will jump. We leave our options open, something you are obviously against.

th0m
May 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM
There's no way they could do this. What are they going to do the year after they tear down the Godwin side? We won't have a press box for that year. I think that is pretty important in a football game. If I was to guess they could tear down the parking garage side, then build a press box/suites on that side the following year. Then in year #3 do the Godwin side. JMO

More importantly, how do you prevent a loss of capacity when knocking down either side? More temporary endzone seats?

Unless of course construction takes place in the off-season alone. With just stands, I'd assume this is viable. But a pressbox structure will most likely not be built as fast as 'simple' stands can get built.

MplsBison
May 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
As a UD fan I feel your pain. We've outgrown the Tub but have dealt with an administration that couldn't care less about modernizing/expanding our stadium. With a new President about ready to step in, one that played college football & was recruited by Tubby Raymond, there is some hope that things may actually change, again it's just hope right now.

If the new president says that it takes moving up to FBS to get the big donations to modernize and build new facilities and that's what his vision is for UD, are you against it?

May 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
... With a new President about ready to step in, one that played college football & was recruited by Tubby Raymond...politics -------------------------------------->
but hint, Al Gore was not recruited by Tubby.

appfan2008
May 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
good luck to you jmu on your stadium expansion