PDA

View Full Version : Proposed: TnSU Indoor Practice Facility

bigbluetiger
May 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Below is a rendering of the proposed TSU indoor football practice facility. The facility is currently going through the approval process. The cost of the facility is approximately $2M. The cost includes the indoor practice facility and resurfacing Hale Stadium with artificial turf. The indoor practice facility will be located on the upper practice field across from Schrader Lane Church of Christ. Contruction is scheduled to begin in January of 2008 and should completed in time for the 2008 football season.

The cost is reduced as an incentive for the contract to renovate Hale Stadium which is our on campus stadium.

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/11/002/6D/BB/BA/44/aqU3knP77Idu1Rt-T2-MK-vwEnKicTFk0300.jpg

colonel84
May 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Looks like a nice addition - if they redo the Hale field will TSU stop playing at LP stadium (is that what it's called now)?

Will they let your great band practice indoors too?

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Doesn't look like it's a full size field.

Any numbers on the space?

bigbluetiger
May 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Looks like a nice addition - if they redo the Hale field will TSU stop playing at LP stadium (is that what it's called now)?

Will they let your great band practice indoors too?

Yes, the plans are to move our games back on campus if the funding is approved. I doubt that the band will ever step foot inside this facility.

bigbluetiger
May 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Doesn't look like it's a full size field.

Any numbers on the space?

The drawing says it 175 feet that equates to 58 yards. I would think there be a 50 yard field if I've done my math correctly.

GeauxColonels
May 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
The drawing says it 175 feet that equates to 58 yards. I would think there be a 50 yard field if I've done my math correctly.
Looks good to me! xthumbsupx

And with 24ft to spare.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
I am so proud of that "other" TSU. xlolx

Seriously... this is great news!!! xthumbsupx

BobbyMo
May 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Looks great BigBlue. Keep us updated

bigbluetiger
May 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
I stand corrected. The field will be 70 yards and the band as well as other teams will be allowed to use it.

TSU gets football upgrade
Indoor facility needs final OK

By MIKE ORGAN
Staff Writer

Tennessee State University athletic officials are awaiting final approval to build a proposed indoor football practice facility on campus.

The cost of the facility is $2 million, and it will include a 70-yard field with synthetic turf along with 6,500 square feet of meeting room area.

Construction of the project is set to begin in January 2008, and the building should be operational later that year.

TSU's football team does not currently have an indoor practice facility.

TSU President Melvin Johnson already has approved funding and signed off on the project, which is now before the Tennessee Board of Regents and the State Building Commission.

A fundraising campaign also is planned to assist with the cost.

"We've done all the paperwork and received the approval here on campus,'' TSU Athletics Director Teresa L. Phillips said. "… So once it goes through the process with the state, we expect to begin construction. Theoretically, it's just a final approval that we're waiting for."

The site for the new facility will be where the upper practice field currently is located, across from Schrader Lane Church of Christ overlooking Hale Stadium.

"I can't tell you how big of a plus it would be to have that facility," TSU Coach James Webster said. "So many of the teams we play either have an indoor facility or they have artificial turf on their game field. That's where they practice when it rains, on their game field. Now, whether it's lightning or just raining, we can still practice."

Phillips said the football team primarily would use the building, but other TSU athletic teams also might make use of it, along with the school's marching band. She also said the football offices would remain in the field house and not be moved into the indoor facility.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
glad to hear the improvements that you guys are planning... hope the project is able to get built

JoshUCA
May 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Looks great!