PDA

View Full Version : FCS Waiver...

aggie6thman
May 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Does anyone know if there is a waiver that can be filed to allow FCS teams who do not average 90% scholarships to play FBS teams and still be counted towards a bowl game?

I tried to dig through the NCAA by-laws but it was a maze that I got lost in.:(

henfan
May 2nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know if there is a waiver that can be filed to allow FCS teams who do not average 90% scholarships to play FBS teams and still be counted towards a bowl game?

I've never heard of a waiver being requested or granted.

Since games are typically scheduled years in advance, I'd imagine a BCS school would be unwilling to contract these type of games unless they received assurances that the FCS team was working towards satisfying the minimums. Even then, there would likely be buy-out terms written in the contract to assure that this happens.

aceinthehole
May 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Since games are typically scheduled years in advance, I'd imagine a BCS school would be unwilling to contract these type of games unless they received assurances that the FCS team was working towards satisfying the minimums. Even then, there would likely be buy-out terms written in the contract to assure that this happens.

I don't know if waivers are possible or not, but Western Michigan contracted with CCSU for a game this year with full knowledge that we were a "non-counter."

Excerpt from the New Britain Herald:

"We were able to do it with the help of (Senior Associate Athletic Director) Mike Ansarra, he called around to get a 1-A game," CCSU coach Jeff McInerney said. "One of the thing that hurts us is that we're not fully funded so that they can't count it as a win."

Central had trouble scheduling some Division 1-AA opponents from bigger conferences, some of whom may have been worried about the high risk/low reward that comes with playing a rising program like Central.

The Blue Devils are hoping to continue their relationship with the MAC conference, and would like to schedule another game with someone in the 2008 season.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18147621&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

ucdtim17
May 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM

TCU was supposedly requesting a waiver last year for playing us, as it was a last minute move. We never heard whether they were successful or not. It was moot anyways as they had no problem getting bowl-eligible

rufus
May 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm strongly opposed to the idea of granting waivers in this case. If the NCAA starts granting waivers left and right or drops the scholarship requirement all together, it's going to make it harder for full-scholarship teams to find FBS money games. Why would a MAC school schedule a team from the CAA or Gateway, when they could schedule Iona or Dayton instead? Adding more scheduling options for FBS also increases the supply of FCS teams, and in turn drives down the income per game for FCS programs that have made a full commitment to football by funding 63 scholarships.