PDA

View Full Version : URI spring game

Cobblestone
April 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'd like to say we drew a big crowd but I haven't lied to anybody on this board and I won't start now. The game was played more like a controlled scrimmage than actual game conditions. I always say it's hard to evaluate your team based on a spring game. If your offense lights it up do you give say you have a strong offense or a weak defense? If the "D" shuts down the "O" do you leave feeling good about your defense or concerned about your offense?

With that being said I'll just say that we look to be deep in the backfield if nothing else. Although out top runner Joe Casey who was 1st team A-10 last season didn't play but he'll be ready to go in September. Our QB Derek Cassidy threw some nice passes and it looks like we might actually have a passing game this season.... either that or our secondary sucks.

Actually our secondary had a few nice picks and appears to be aggressive. It appears our defense has improved overall, not saying much since they have no place to go but up. We do appear to have a strong kicking game.

All in all not bad but not enough depth and talent to make a lot of noise in the CAA. I guess I'll get a better look at the Fordham game. An upset over Army would be great but probably not in the cards.

bobbythekidd
April 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'd like to say we drew a big crowd but I haven't lied to anybody on this board and I won't start now. The game was played more like a controlled scrimmage than actual game conditions. I always say it's hard to evaluate your team based on a spring game. If your offense lights it up do you give say you have a strong offense or a weak defense? If the "D" shuts down the "O" do you leave feeling good about your defense or concerned about your offense?

With that being said I'll just say that we look to be deep in the backfield if nothing else. Although out top runner Joe Casey who was 1st team A-10 last season didn't play but he'll be ready to go in September. Our QB Derek Cassidy threw some nice passes and it looks like we might actually have a passing game this season.... either that or our secondary sucks.

Actually our secondary had a few nice picks and appears to be aggressive. It appears our defense has improved overall, not saying much since they have no place to go but up. We do appear to have a strong kicking game.

All in all not bad but not enough depth and talent to make a lot of noise in the CAA. I guess I'll get a better look at the Fordham game. An upset over Army would be great but probably not in the cards.
I'll be rooting for you guys, for the season, and to beat ARMY.

I won't hold my breath though.

Cobblestone
April 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks, we'll take all the help we can get.

Seawolf97
April 30th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Stonybrook had their game this past Saturday. I didnt attend but they had a point system set up above and beyond normal scoring. So many points for a fumble recovery , blocked kicks etc.

Brad82
May 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
A top H.S. coach went to the game and thought rhody looked good.
Anthony Ferrer at FB looked as good as Casey. Maybe we will go with a "bull elephant" backfield? Ferrer is RS frosh. He can fall down and get you 4 yards.

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Good luck to the Rams for a successful season! They've played a few good games against Delaware in recent years.

89Hen
May 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Cobblestone, how is Meade looking these days with the new stands next to the Ryan Center? I haven't been to Meade since 1987ish?

Cobblestone
May 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Cobblestone, how is Meade looking these days with the new stands next to the Ryan Center? I haven't been to Meade since 1987ish?

I love the new stands on the home side. They did a great job building them and the line of sight is terrific. I sat there last season right on the 50 and never had a better seat. The stands are built right into the Ryan Center so it's nice to be able to walk into the place at halftime and get a burger and still see the field through the ceiling to floor windows. The visitors side however (the former home side) I sat on for a few minutes Saturday and I think they need to do something real quick, it's a safety hazard over there. Those stands are in bad shape. My advice to any fans making a trip to Meade is either try to sit on the home side or bring a bible.

Cobblestone
May 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
A top H.S. coach went to the game and thought rhody looked good.
Anthony Ferrer at FB looked as good as Casey. Maybe we will go with a "bull elephant" backfield? Ferrer is RS frosh. He can fall down and get you 4 yards.

No doubt Ferrer had a good day and was a nice surprise. I wouldn't say he looks as good as Casey, he's got big shoes to fill there. However, I like the idea of both of those guys back there together. Jerrel Jones looked good as well and appears to be 100% from his injury that kept him out last season. Here again, we look pretty deep in the backfield.