PDA

View Full Version : Can Sean Norton lead NAU to the playoffs?

Jacks76
April 29th, 2007, 09:01 PM
This guy can play. Fresno State never gave him much of a chance, but he was playing against #14-ranked LSU in Baton Rouge. Nonetheless, he put up decent numbers despite limited playing time. I think he could do very well against the Arizona Wildcats in only his second NAU start (I am assuming he will win the starting QB duties hands down over Lance).

On another note, why didn't any NFL teams take a look at QB Jason Murrietta? There's another Lumberjack who could conceivably play in the pros but is overlooked for upper division talent. 'Tis a shame. Even the Baltimore Ravens are underutilizing WR Clarence Moore. Some of the best talent we've ever had and no NFL teams seem interested. Makes me wonder whatever happened to NAU luminaries Jeff Lewis and Archie Amerson.

Paul

Jackluv
April 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I completely agree about the Ravens comment as well as the Jason comment. I hope he at least gets a free agency look. How can a 2 time Payton award finalist NOT get looked at.

As for Norton, an absolute STUD in the California high school system. Something like #25 in hs career yardage IN THE UNITED STATES! I hope he gets the oppurtunity to shine at NAU. EVERYONE is coming back in that explosive offense except Jason. Plug Norton or Kreisen in there and NAU is a force in the Big Sky

Fresno St. Alum
April 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
how much talent will Norton have around him, he can't do it unless he has help.

Jackluv
April 30th, 2007, 01:16 AM
3 all conference WR's coming back, 1 all american WR
2 all conference offensive lineman
1 Newcomer of the Year in the Big Sky; 1,000 yrd rusher RB

he has prenty of talent on offense considering NAU was 1st in rushing offense, passing offense, scoring offense in the big sky.

Fresno St. Alum
April 30th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Offense sounds good, how's the Defense

WyomingGrizFan
April 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Would have to admit that NAU has a pretty good reciever in 5' 10" 180 lb Sr. Alex Watson, 1st Team BSC and 6' 2" 237 lb TE So. Shaun Fitzpatrick, also 1st Team BSC. A good 5' 10" 195 lb So. RB 2nd Team BSC in Alex Henderson.

According to the BSC I would say that the two All-Conf Offensive linemen, assuming you're citing Honorable Mention as well, in this instance: 6- 0" 295 lb Sr. OG John Toailoa and 6' 1" 295 lb Jr. C Kevin Meagher but I only see two and not three All-Conf WRs, even if you do want to call a TE a WR that is. Whatever.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=82339

There was also a Ricky Wilson, 2nd Team CB on defense that'll be a Sr next year, I believe.

With that NAU looks to perhaps re-enter the playoff picture. But so do many others.

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Considering the NFL QBs that Fresno State has produced, it is hard to break into the Bulldog lineup. Norton had a few opportunities to play, but the Bulldogs were deep there, just like always. I would expect him to do well for the Lumberjacks.

MplsBison
April 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Doesn't look like NAU will have problems getting yards or points.

Are you going to win every game 49-42?

Jackluv
April 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Would have to admit that NAU has a pretty good reciever in 5' 10" 180 lb Sr. Alex Watson, 1st Team BSC and 6' 2" 237 lb TE So. Shaun Fitzpatrick, also 1st Team BSC. A good 5' 10" 195 lb So. RB 2nd Team BSC in Alex Henderson.

According to the BSC I would say that the two All-Conf Offensive linemen, assuming you're citing Honorable Mention as well, in this instance: 6- 0" 295 lb Sr. OG John Toailoa and 6' 1" 295 lb Jr. C Kevin Meagher but I only see two and not three All-Conf WRs, even if you do want to call a TE a WR that is. Whatever.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=82339

There was also a Ricky Wilson, 2nd Team CB on defense that'll be a Sr next year, I believe.

With that NAU looks to perhaps re-enter the playoff picture. But so do many others.

Alex Watson 1st team, Skyler Moore HM, Kenny Mahone HM....both i hope will have breakout seasons. Moore and Watson were the top targets last year.

Ricky Wilson returns as do Kevin Gerard (2006 2nd team preseason all american) who broke his hand in their game against ASU and big DE Blare Boynton.

Im hoping they do well, we will just have to see in Sept. when NAU takes on UofA in Tucson.xthumbsupx

Jacks76
April 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Yup. I've got that UofA game circled. I'm also an avid Arizona State fan and don't like University of Arizona football.

Paul

WyomingGrizFan
April 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry about not checking the HM for BSC offense. Both 6' 3" 210 lb Jr. Skyler Moore and 6' 2" 210 lb Sr. Kenny Mahone indeed mentioned at the WR position. Looks like a pair of good sized receivers there to me. Major oversight on my part.

Jackluv
April 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Oh no worries. i'm excited for the UM NAU game @ Flagstaff this year. Should be a good one.

Congrats on Harris and Swogger getting picked up!

WyomingGrizFan
April 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
It's too bad that the last couple games against MSU that you came up short on some pretty good comebacks: from 22 - 0 at half to lose 22 - 29 & from being down 14 - 32 to tie but lose again by seven 32 - 39. Shows some real grit to stage a good offense on the comebacks against a rather pathetic team but it shows class. Hope you guys do better against those puddy-tats next year.

With fourteen starters back for next year I'am thinking you guys may be a team to beat to get to the playoffs. Maybe both of us can get there next year. Someones' got to knock off Appalachian St. somewhere along the line, might just as well be the BSC. Thanx again.

AZBison
May 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Yup. I've got that UofA game circled. I'm also an avid Arizona State fan and don't like University of Arizona football.

Paul
That's what this Sun Devil likes to hear xthumbsupx

Jackluv
May 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
BSC is going to be fun to watch this year.

CopperCat
May 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Oh no worries. i'm excited for the UM NAU game @ Flagstaff this year. Should be a good one.

Congrats on Harris and Swogger getting picked up!

NAU may put the fear in UM down there in Flagstaff. That's never a fun place to play.

And yes! Congrats on Swogger and Harris getting on a team! Always good to see the BSC make it to the next level.

Jackluv
May 2nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
NAU may put the fear in UM down there in Flagstaff. That's never a fun place to play.

And yes! Congrats on Swogger and Harris getting on a team! Always good to see the BSC make it to the next level.

What team did Jefferson get picked up by again! WOW, i saw his stats against NAU this past season. hahaha

catbob
May 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
MJ is a Cowpoke. :(

But yea, that game between us last year was a fun one.

Jefferson had 12 receptions 239 yards and a TD.

And Mason had his first collegiate start, and rushed 24 times for 192 yards and 2 scores.

CopperCat
May 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
What team did Jefferson get picked up by again! WOW, i saw his stats against NAU this past season. hahaha

Jefferson got signed by the Cowboys, which is where he is from. Hopefully Romo will throw to him a few times in the endzone so that he won't have to hold another "game winning field goal"xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xoopsx

Jacks76
May 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
So any news on how Sean Norton is doing at NAU's practices? How's he looking?

Paul

Jackluv
May 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
One of my old buddy's went up to watch a couple spring practices and said Norton looked very good. I didnt realize he was that small of a guy but man he can play. Lance Kreisen and him will both be stars at NAU.

WyomingGrizFan
May 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Interestingly, the Fresno State web page still has Sean Norton listed:

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/norton_sean00.html

My guess, at this time of year, they're somewhat slow on showing updated rosters as such.

As it seems, if this is the same guy it sounds like a good player at a critical position. Ranked 25th in U.S. hs history in passing total: 4,067 yds & 44 TDs as a hs sr. Only 5' 11" 175 lbs but I don't think that'll hurt him much if any; I'am just wondering what the 'recovering from off season surgery' was about. Hate to see a career end due to such things as that, for either side or opponent.

Hope you have a good year NAU and wish ya luck!!!

Ronbo
May 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
We had a young man at QB that was 5'11", 185lbs, in 1995 that passed for 5300 yards and 54 TD's. Dave Dickenson.

CrunchGriz
May 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
We had a young man at QB that was 5'11", 185lbs, in 1995 that passed for 5300 yards and 54 TD's. Dave Dickenson.

Not to nitpick (okay, so I'm nitpicking), but DD threw for 4,176 yards and 38 TDs in the 1995 regular season...

...and when it mattered most, in the playoffs, he threw for 1,500 yards and 13 TDs, despite sitting out at least the entire fourth quarter of the first three playoff games because the Griz were so far ahead...

...for season's totals of 5,676 yards and 51 TDs.

Not to mention leading the nation in total offense by over a thousand yards over his nearest competitor.

If Norton is as good as DD, the rest of the Big Sky is in trouble...but that's a mighty tall order.

CopperCat
May 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

PSUVikings
May 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Alot of FSU fans felt Norton didn't get enough of a chance, that QB they have(Brandstater?) is a complete joke.

Norton should do alot for NAU, he did well while he had the oppurtunity

BTW NAU fans, someone finally made a board for you fans, hosted through BSF, looking for NAU fans to take the board for themselves.(in need of an admin and mods)

http://lumberjacks.bigskyfans.com/

Jackluv
May 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
i just joined! very excited to see some people talking about NAU athletics more.

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
NO

The Big Sky wont get three teams in.

Jackluv
May 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
NO

The Big Sky wont get three teams in.

And just who do you think is going then, i'm guessing you are saying your prized Griz as well as some1 else is going. Please....enlighten us

Jacks76
May 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Sean Norton looks very good in spring practice. I hope we can drill Arizona in Tucson this year. Would be the upset of the decade!

Paul

Jackluv
May 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm very excited and hoping i can drive down for the game!

Peems
May 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
if the jacks are good, and the other three "good" teams fall in place, it could be a battle this year and unfortunately for the griz, MSU and NAU are on the road

already123
May 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
close sources to the team tell me that Lance Kriesien took reps with the number 1's the entire spring with Norton not getting any. Though both looked suprisingly very good, Kriesien seems to be beating out the transfer...get this...with his ARM. Any Lumberjack fan knows that NAU has always used Lance for his mobility, but sources say that his passing skills have improved dramatically. This will be a spirited battle in the fall...both are extremely talented Quarterbacks...its scary to think about what they can do in that no-huddle NAU offense