View Full Version : Blake Costanzo, LB, Lafayette & Rhein Fire

flea
April 26th, 2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/RHE/10149042

Keep it old school

April 25, 2007
By Tara Ryan

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img10149037.jpg

If you think back to several years ago, our society and the way we interacted with one another was slightly different. Kids were more respectful of their elders, men were more chivalrous, family values were held in higher regards and football hit harder.

Not to say that we live in a time where the family life is dissolving and the NFL is turning into an organized powder puff league – far from it. But, behind the big time glitz and hard-hitting action that’s now seen in professional football, things are different than before. Football has evolved over time and so have the players.

For linebacker Blake Costanzo, those were the days to live and play by. That kind of life and that kind of hard, tough football are his kind of style – old school.

Costanzo uses that term to describe his on the field play and his off the field personality. He’s a laid back and emotional guy who values his relationships, likes to hit hard and have fun in everything he does – especially when he’s on the field.

“I’m big into my teammates, family and friendships and all of that kind of stuff,” said Costanzo. “I’m just an old school guy. I love how everything used to be done. Today, men aren’t the same way they used to be. I really look up to my grandfather and want to be like him. I believe in working hard and you get what you put in work for. There are no excuses in life.”

Working hard is exactly what Costanzo’s done and he started early in life when he played football as a kid; however, it wasn’t until the seventh grade that he really came out of his shell. He developed a passion for football and the necessary outward aggression to play at the linebacker position.

“I sucked when I was younger,” said Costanzo. “I was scared to hit, I was timid and it took me awhile to get how football was such a physical game. In sixth or seventh grade I finally got the hang of what football was all about. I realized that all the other sports were great, but nothing compared to the teammates and teamwork and the physical aspect of football. Being on the field was my peace.”

Growing up in Northern New Jersey, Costanzo played in a solid football program at Ramapo high school and was taught by good coaches that quickly helped him develop into a strong and aggressive player. His desire to play at the collegiate level had always been in his mind, and eventually his hard work paid off as he was given the opportunity to play at Lafayette College.

Attending a smaller institution can sometimes down play the talent and athleticism of an athlete because of the lack of exposure and publicity and Costanzo was aware that if he would ever succeed in the NFL, he’d have to work that much harder to get noticed.

“I feel like there are a lot of good players that go to smaller schools that don’t get noticed,” said Costanzo. “It was definitely more difficult; but, if you’re good and you keep working at it, you’ll eventually find a way to play somewhere. I wouldn’t have gone anywhere else.”

Costanzo found that way, and his outgoing North Jersey personality – that can be seen in the hallway of the hotel and on the football field – and obvious hard-nosed athletic ability, helped to move Costanzo to the next level.

Heading into Week 3 he has proven to be a vocal leader to his coaches and teammates and has almost effortlessly excelled through practice and the first two games. Currently leading the team with 14 tackles and 2.0 sacks (based on coaches film), Costanzo hasn’t once gotten a big head. He always credits his fellow defensive players – such as friend and teammate, CB Wale Dada – and his veteran linebackers coach, Bernardo Harris, for his success.

“I was lucky enough to make plays. But, it takes 11 guys to make the defense work,” said Costanzo. “I wouldn’t make plays if the defensive linemen weren’t doing the right thing and if the linebackers weren’t filling the right holes. I’ve been lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time. Hopefully it will carry on throughout the season.

“I think our coach is awesome. He played in the league for a long time and I have a lot of respect for him. He’s the type of guy I want to play like – old school, tough linebacker. We call him ‘Dado.’ He’s that old school linebacker that I want to be like.”

Costanzo is viewed by others around him as a strong personality and a unique player, who admires those that played before him and aims to use their aggressive, dirty style of playing as his model for defensive play. Harris believes that Blake has what it takes to succeed at the top level, as long as he continues on his path.

“Blake’s a good guy. He’s a good player and I care about him – I care about all my players,” said Harris. “He has that style of play that’s needed to succeed. He’s done a great job for this defense and I can only see him getting better throughout the season.”

After being allocated to NFL Europa by the New York Jets, Costanzo looked to this as an opportunity to build relationships and develop into a better player with the ultimate goal of making the 53-man roster of an NFL club.

It’s Costanzo’s current goal to improve during the season and to take advantage of the opportunity he’s been given. In order to gain a coveted spot on an NFL team he’ll have to set himself apart from the competition that make-up the six teams of the NFL Europa League.

“I want to get better as a football player and show people that I can play,” said Costanzo. “I want the opportunity to help out a team. I’m with the Jets right now and I would love the chance to help them out. I was a Jets fan growing up. I want to show that I can play at a higher level. I’m playing here for the opportunity.”

Costanzo’s selflessness, animalistic play and tough mentality are the keys to his success. His aggressive on the field nature and deep respect for those around him have developed him into a talented and driven player that will ultimately find success in any aspect of his life and most definitely on the football field.

“It’s all about old school football – physical, rough and tough football,” said Costanzo. “Football is a tough sport, you’ve got to be tough to play this sport and that’s the way it should be played. It’s played with aggressiveness. The finesse stuff can be saved for the offense, or whoever wants it. In the defense, you have to be old school tough.”

LeopardFan04
April 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Awesome! Thanks for posting this flea!

Mr. C
April 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Nice story on a great player. I covered his final college game in the playoffs against Appalachian State in 2005.

citdog
April 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Cory lambert

Pard4Life
April 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I love it! Great story! xthumbsupx

Go Rhein Fire!

letsgopards04
April 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Amen to that! Go Rhein Fire!