10/20 OPEN
10/27 Duquesne
11/03 @ St. Peters
11/10 Marist
10/17 @ Cal Poly

http://www.iona.edu/gaels/schedule.cfm?SportID=4

th0m
February 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Very weird scheduling...3 non DI schools, and then also UNH and CP.

BigApp
February 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
the homer against a D3 Delaware Valley is bad enough, but a ROAD game TO a DIVISION III school?? (Western Connecticut)

ANOTHER road game TO a D2???? (Stonehill)

BigApp
February 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
serious question. Is Iona trying to kill their football program??

danefan
February 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I think Iona is trying to kill their athletic program in general.

I held my breath when I opened this...hoping that I didn't find UA on there.

Go Poly
February 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think Iona is trying to kill their athletic program in general.

I held my breath when I opened this...hoping that I didn't find UA on there.

Doesn't bode well for my beloved Mustangs either! : smh :

BigApp
February 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
why? looks like that's as close to a guaranteed 'W' as you can get!

UNHWildCats
February 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
why? looks like that's as close to a guaranteed 'W' as you can get!

The all important Strength of Schedule on selection sunday :nod: :nod: :nod:

BigApp
February 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM
mmm...didn't think about that one...they'll be fine though in that regard IMHO

Pard4Life
February 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I find it funny that Iona, 30 minutes outside of Manhattan (in traffic) is willing to schedule Cal Poly.... while San Diego does not. It's the last weekend of the season no less.. that's when they got UCD.

Very very very weird schedule... Iona is going to get murdered by UNH and Cal Poly... those are going to be JV games.. Iona lost their opening game vs. Montclair St.! (D3.. usually strong, mediocre last year). Columbia even smacked Iona last year... and we all know Columbia's deal..

aceinthehole
February 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
IMO - Very mixed messages out of New Rochelle.

Too many sub-DI teams (especially on the road), but very strong games vs. UNH and Cal Poly.

I assume the 2 games are for the $$$ to support the team. Those games probably cover their entire budget.

I also agree if lowly Iona is willing to schedule UNH and Cal Poly, why not San Diego? hum :eyebrow:

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Part of the problem for Iona is getting ANY games with only four league games a year. Seven OOC games is a challenge for any AD.

I'd be willing to bet the Cal Poly game is a recruitment tool. Who wouldn't want to go to San Luis Obispo, especially with that male/female ratio? :smiley_wi

slostang
February 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Doesn't bode well for my beloved Mustangs either! : smh :
I do not think it is so bad. Of the 10 games that are on Cal Poly's schedule (still looking for the 11th), Iona is the only non scholarship team and the Mustangs have FBS Idaho on the schedule. This game is better than last years Fort Lewis (DII). Iona may not be as good as Fort Lewis, but at least they count as a D-I win. I would rather have a scholarship FCS team visiting SLO, but this game is scheduled on Nov. 17th. I am hoping the Mustangs will use as a game where they can rest banged up players before making a deep run in the playoffs.:thumbsup:

danefan
February 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't see it as a horrible game for Cal Poly. But only because the rest of the schedule is strong. Thats probably why Iona can't schedule the local partial scholly teams (Albany, Central Conn., Stony Brook, Monmouth, etc.). Those teams need to strengthen their schedules with that last OOC game, they don't have a choice.

JMG1MON
February 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Dane, I agree. No offense to Iona but Monmouth already has one team that they should be favored to beat pretty badly next year (@ St. Peter's). We need a better team than Iona to finish our schedule. Supposedly, they are talking to Duquesne.

aceinthehole
February 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Dane, JMG - your right. Some NEC are staying away - CCSU wants no part of them becasue we may already have St. Peter's again :( As we know, the top 3 in the NEC need a very challanging OOC to even sniff an at-large bid.

I'm, just shocked that Iona willing to fly out to Calif for a beating. UNH, I can see to some extent 'cus its a bus ride that pays well. Yeah SLO is a nice trip for the players, but ... I mean how about a game vs. SFPA, or some Pioneer teams? And again, what's up with USD? If Iona can, then anyone can!

I don't see how the MAAC will be able to schedule in 2008. Marist may be fine becasue they can get PL, Ivy, and NEC teams. But what will Iona, St. Peter's and LaSalle do?

danefan
February 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Play DIII teams or even the supposed DIV when it gets going, if ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/sports/othersports/13ncaa.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

VT Wildcat Fan53
February 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
IMO - Very mixed messages out of New Rochelle.

Too many sub-DI teams (especially on the road), but very strong games vs. UNH and Cal Poly.

I assume the 2 games are for the $$$ to support the team. Those games probably cover their entire budget.

I also agree if lowly Iona is willing to schedule UNH and Cal Poly, why not San Diego? hum :eyebrow:

No way Iona is going to make much money by traveling to Durham, not with UNH's current 6,500 seat imposter of a stadium. : smh : Must be another rationale for this matchup.....

Pauly LB
February 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
For Cal Poly scheduling Iona for a home game is better than scheduling any division 2 team -- BARELY !!! Remember, last year the win versus division 2 Fort Lewis did NOT help Cal Poly which left them one win short of qualifying for the playoffs. Plus it is also a plus to schedule a team that you can "beat up" a bit just before the playoff selections...

Salty Dog
April 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Iona College Football Schedule
Date Opponent
Sat, Sep 01 DELAWARE VALLEY
Sat, Sep 08 WAGNER
Sat, Sep 15 SACRED HEART
Sat, Sep 22 Western Connecticut
Sat, Sep 29 Stonehill
Sat, Oct 06 La Salle
Sat, Oct 13 New Hampshire
Sat, Oct 20 Bye
Sat, Oct 27 DUQUESNE
Sat, Nov 03 Saint Peter's
Sat, Nov 10 MARIST
Sat, Nov 17 California Poly

April 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Iona College Football Schedule
Date Opponent
Sat, Sep 01 DELAWARE VALLEY
Sat, Sep 08 WAGNER
Sat, Sep 15 SACRED HEART
Sat, Sep 22 Western Connecticut
Sat, Sep 29 Stonehill
Sat, Oct 06 La Salle
Sat, Oct 13 New Hampshire xeekx xthumbsupx
Sat, Oct 20 Bye
Sat, Oct 27 DUQUESNE
Sat, Nov 03 Saint Peter's
Sat, Nov 10 MARIST
Sat, Nov 17 California Poly

UNHWildCats
April 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM

UNH 56, Iona 0

http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA3EDF91-9FA6-204F-EC218BE338622C03&pid=5F9585C5-BDB7-0F43-A9B00D507EF99752&archive=men's%20football

Zoo
April 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx NOOOO!!! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

andy7171
April 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Looks like San Diego's 2006 schedule. Yale, UC-Davis and a cast of sucks.

DetroitFlyer
April 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Looks like 8 FCS games and 3 lower division games. I'm not a big fan of the lower division games, but if they go 11-0, I see an at large bid to the playoffs!!

carney2
April 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Delaware Valley and New New Hampshire/Cal Poly on the same schedule has got to be about the biggest gap on any FCS schedule that does not include a BCS Top 10 wannabe.

UAalum72
April 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Delaware Valley and New New Hampshire/Cal Poly on the same schedule has got to be about the biggest gap on any FCS schedule that does not include a BCS Top 10 wannabe.
Doesn't matter, Iona will be an underdog to all three of them.

downbythebeach
April 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Looks like San Diego's 2006 schedule. Yale, UC-Davis and a cast of sucks.

Thanks for bringing intelligent conversation to the board.xrolleyesx

Pard4Life
April 26th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'd say it's tougher than San Diego... UNH and Cal Poly are better than Yale, UCD...

andy7171
April 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'd say it's tougher than San Diego... UNH and Cal Poly are better than Yale, UCD...
True, but I was factoring in that Drake and Davidson are better PFL teams than anything the MAAC can offer.

Pauly LB
April 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM
No comparison -- better schedule than USD...

faxjusfax
April 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
True, but I was factoring in that Drake and Davidson are better PFL teams than anything the MAAC can offer.

Nope.

I would definitely put Duquesne above Drake, and Marist above Davidson

andy7171
April 27th, 2007, 01:03 PM
OK I give up. I know NOTHING about non scholarship FCS football.

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Drake / Duquesne and Marist / Davidson would be great games! If you believe in the GPI, the PFL is head and shoulders above the MAAC. ( Of course so is everyone else ), LOL!!

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
When you schedule one DIII you are pretty much declaring your schedule weak. When you schedule two of them, well, that just makes for a real bad schedule. But nothing really new here, Iona actually loses games to DIII schools, and not the good ones either. xsmhx

Franks Tanks
April 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
When you schedule one DIII you are pretty much declaring your schedule weak. When you schedule two of them, well, that just makes for a real bad schedule. But nothing really new here, Iona actually loses games to DIII schools, and not the good ones either. xsmhx

St. Peters, Iona, and Lasalle are all so pathetic it is unbelievable. They are middle of the pack D-III teams at BEST. Teams like this give FCS a bad name, and UNH and Cal Poly could beat Iona by 70 if they keep their starters in past halftime.

Seawolf97
April 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
What were they thinking ?