PDA

View Full Version : there already is one

vmifan
April 24th, 2007, 06:51 AM
From today's Richmond Times Dispatch:
Question of the week: Should Division I college football have a playoff?

Richmond Times-Dispatch Dec 24, 2007

Question of the week

Boise State finished 13-0 yet has no shot at winning college football's national championship. Should Division I college football have a playoff?

Please respond by noon Thursday. Responses should be brief and are subject to editing. Please include the spelling of your first and last names, your city of residence and your phone number. Selected responses will appear on the Sunday Punch page. How to reach us: phone: (804) 649-6035; fax: (804) 775-8085; e-mail: tdsports @timesdispatch.com

Col Hogan
April 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Question of the week

Boise State finished 13-0 yet has no shot at winning college football's national championship. Should Division I college football have a playoff?

Please respond by noon Thursday. Responses should be brief and are subject to editing. Please include the spelling of your first and last names, your city of residence and your phone number. Selected responses will appear on the Sunday Punch page. How to reach us: phone: (804) 649-6035; fax: (804) 775-8085; e-mail: tdsports @timesdispatch.com

Thanks for posting...here's the body of the email I submitted:

Sirs, there already is a Division I playoff system. The current National Champion of Division I FCS is Appalachian State University, which defeated the University of Massachusetts in the championship game last December.

Division I, as defined by the NCAA, is comprised of two sub-divisions. FCS or Football Championship Subdivision, actually plays for a championship. Richmond, William and Mary, James Madison, etc, all belong to DI-FCS. FBS, or Football Bowl Subdivision, does not have a playoff, but holds a coronation. A few people decide who will be the FBS "Champion".

To conclude:

DI - FCS = Crowns it's Champion on the playing field
DI - FBS = Coronation

citdog
April 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Question of the week

nice post vmi guy! get your chin in when a Citadel Man addresses you boy!

Gil Dobie
April 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
If Boise St wants to be in a playoff, they are in the wrong subdivision. xeyebrowx

andy7171
April 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Question of the week

xoopsx Isn't this a bit dated to respond to a Question of the Week? xoopsx

813Jag
April 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
December 24, 2007? They can see the future in Richmond? xconfusedx

BigApp
April 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Is it already Christmas Eve in Richmond?? Can the RT-D tell me what Santa's bringing me this year?? :D

Col Hogan
April 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx I didn't catch that...hope it's just a typo on vmifan's part...xcoolx

April 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
If FBS wants it they have to win the NCAA tournament, until then they can cry all they want after their preciou$ bowel games

TexasTerror
April 24th, 2007, 11:00 AM
It's amazing how many people are clueless to the fact that Division I, indeed, has a playoff...

Can't wait to see the responses. The Richmond Times-Dispatch typically does a fine job at reporting on FCS football...so this shocks me that this crap is coming from their fishwrap...

andy7171
April 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
HA! I didn't even notice that it was 2007. What the heck is going on? I went to the RT-D site and it's right there on the front headlines in the Sports section. Question of the Week ... Dec 24, 2007. Bizarre!

Peems
April 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
HA! I didn't even notice that it was 2007. What the heck is going on? I went to the RT-D site and it's right there on the front headlines in the Sports section. Question of the Week ... Dec 24, 2007. Bizarre!

they just have the wrong month. Because today is april 24th 2007, so thats it

WUTNDITWAA
April 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Is it already Christmas Eve in Richmond?? Can the RT-D tell me what Santa's bringing me this year?? :D

Somebody has to do it.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

And Division I has a playoff system.

:D

Fresno St. Alum
April 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
well if they can't get the month right how do you expect them to know that D-I FCS has a playoff?