PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South Smiling All the Way to the Bank

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Chuck South is really cashing in by Hawaii standards as it relates to the post-game check. Getting even more than some major FBS programs and on top of that, allowed to get an extra game which means more revenue. Congrats to Chuck South for taking advantage of an awful athletic director's inability to schedule...
---------------
Smiling all the way to the bank
By Ferd Lewis
Advertiser Columnist

The Division I-AA Charleston Southern football team could very well get pounded when it plays the I-A University of Hawai'i Sept. 22, but the Buccaneers are emerging as the big winners in the Warriors' on-going scheduling fiasco.

While UH fans, players and coaches continue to wait on a completed 13-game schedule for a season due to open in less than five months, Charleston Southern has made out like, well, Buccaneers.

The tiny school (enrollment 2,800) will receive the largest payday of any I-AA UH opponent the Warriors have played. Contract details paint a picture of UH's desperation to fill the schedule with a package exceeding that of what Division I opponents Oregon State or Purdue earned for appearances at Aloha Stadium just months ago.

With UH's 11th-hour struggle to fill the final three pukas on its 2007 schedule, the Buccaneers apparently leveraged the situation well to their advantage to look at the terms of the contract. Charleston Southern will receive roundtrip airfare for 75 people, 45 hotel rooms for three nights, bus transportation, $15,000 for incidentals and a $125,000 post-game check.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070422/COLUMNISTS06/704220381/1142/SPORTS

MarkCCU
April 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Congrats to Chuck South for taking advantage of an awful athletic director's inability to schedule...

Ha. good for them. That extra money and game will be worth it.

appfan2008
April 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
thats awesome for csu... go get um bucs

rokamortis
April 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Seems like a bunch of trouble for $125,000. They could have played someone within driving distance and brought home $125,000 or more..

justsaying
April 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Seems like a bunch of trouble for $125,000. They could have played someone within driving distance and brought home $125,000 or more..

I agree.. Gardner- Webb is receiving round trip and hotel from Ohio and their payout is 200,000. Mississippi State is rumored to payout 350-400,000$ They also are providing round trip and hotel. " The reason why it is rumored is b/c in a newspaper article they said they were going to pay a team they had scheduled originally 300,000$ and they will be paying Gardner Webb substantially more because of a short notice. but I think GW will get the 300,000 plus some of the 150,000$ the other team has to pay in penalty for backing out of their contract with Mississippi State.

But in Chuck South defense... YOU CAN'T BEAT A FREE TRIP TO HAWAII!!

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a good deal!

rokamortis
April 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
But in Chuck South defense... YOU CAN'T BEAT A FREE TRIP TO HAWAII!!

Normally I would agree if it wasn't during football season. This trip potentially could have a negative impact on the team due to all of the travel. It would be very bad for the Bucs if North greenville can jump on a jet-lagged CSU team.

CSU BUCS
April 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Normally I would agree if it wasn't during football season. This trip potentially could have a negative impact on the team due to all of the travel. It would be very bad for the Bucs if North greenville can jump on a jet-lagged CSU team.

Agree

I would feel better if there was a bye week after this game.

GameTimeComethSoon
April 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
G-W pulling in over 500K for two games is quite a nice bit of work by their administration. Maybe now they can tank those all black unis. xnodx

GameTimeComethSoon
April 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
It's also too bad CSU couldn't have this game on the 08 schedule. That way they could use it as a recruiting tool.

As far as jet lag, agreed. You essentially lose Sunday and likely Monday following the game. That's not a charter trip you can hop on a plane postgame and be back before midnight. That's a next day marathon (Sunday). You then push all the pregame prep for next week to Monday (off day?), then essentially have two days, or less, of full practice time.xrotatehx

Hopefully North G'Ville still stinks.

danefan
April 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Just food for thoughg\t....

Albany is reportedly getting $125,000 to go to Montana....which is very similar to Hawaii isn't it?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Libertine
April 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hopefully North G'Ville still stinks.

They don't.

TexasTerror
April 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Another article about Hawaii and it's two FCS games...

Warriors to pay heavy price for game
Matt Schuman
April 25, 2007

If the University of Hawaii is looking for a way out of its football game with the University of Northern Colorado on Sept. 1, the Warriors would pay a heavy price to do so.

While neither school has officially announced the deal, and officials from both schools continue to decline comment, a source within the University of Northern Colorado athletic department confirms the two schools have a deal in place that would pay UNC $250,000 if the game were canceled.

Hawaii athletic directory Herman Frazier has been taking heat from media and fans in Hawaii for scheduling two Division I-AA schools in a season where the Rainbows have a Heisman Trophy candidate in Colt Brennan and could be poised to have one of the best seasons in school history.

Making it worse is the fact that word leaked of the lucrative deal Charleston Southern got for its game with the Warriors on Sept. 22.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20070425/SPORTS/104250120

CSUBUCDAD
April 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I give all the credit to Mills and Smalls and their attitude about stepping up and moving this program to the next level. Gonna take some thumpings over the next few years from FBS teams but it will go along way to putting money in the bank for all the improvements we need to bring the facilities up to par with some of the bigger FCS programs around.

citdog
April 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I give all the credit to Mills and Smalls and their attitude about stepping up and moving this program to the next level. Gonna take some thumpings over the next few years from FBS teams but it will go along way to putting money in the bank for all the improvements we need to bring the facilities up to par with some of the bigger FCS programs around.

you will ALWAYS BE third fiddle in Charleston, behind Citadel Football, and CoC basketball

CCU97
April 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Heck there are some HS Football teams that get a bigger draw in Charleston than CSU....

Sly Fox
April 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM
3rd fiddle seemed to be in tune against a certain crosstown opponent last fall.

citdog
April 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
3rd fiddle seemed to be in tune against a certain crosstown opponent last fall.

do you just follow me around? do you want to get into my jock? we will exact our revenge in sept!

Sly Fox
April 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I stick to the Big South threads. What's your excuse?

citdog
April 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM
i just like making you red