PDA

View Full Version : 2,142 attend 2007 NDSU spring game

TheBisonator
April 21st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Green Edges Gold 21-14 Before 2,142 In Outback Steakhouse NDSU Spring Football Game
Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations
Release: 04/21/2007

Running back Tyler Roehl (40) burst up the middle to score from 11 yards out during Green & Gold Spring Game on Saturday.

FARGO, N.D.--Both offenses combined for three touchdowns in the final minute of the first half and the defenses pitched a shutout in the second as the Green edged the Gold 21-14 in the annual Outback Steakhouse Spring Football game played Saturday, April 21, before 2,142 spectators at the Fargodome.

North Dakota State honored the 2006 Great West Football Conference champions during a ring and award ceremony prior to the start of the spring game as head coach Craig Bohl was recognized as the GWFC Coach of the Year and Steve Walker received the GWFC Offensive Player of the Year award.

More at: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=874622

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
good stuff... two thousand people isnt bad but after hearing about the 92000 at alabama today sort of over shadows anything else

bisonguy
April 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
over 2,000 is great for NDSU!! xthumbsupx

Previous years were closer to 1,500- season tickets sound like they might be at an all-time high. Looks like NDSU might average over 17,000 this year!

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
that is great for you... how many seats are in the dome???

Gil Dobie
April 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
that is great for you... how many seats are in the dome???

Approx 19,000

TheBisonator
April 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
19,287 is official capacity according to the Fargodome Guest Relations booth

TheBisonator
April 22nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
BTW, we had 1,414 in 2005, then 1,776 last year, and now 2,142 this year.

Next year we may break 2,500!!:)

Mr. C
April 22nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
What can you tell us about the replacements for Steffes and Dahl? How did they look? I think those are the two keys for the Bison this season.

PantherRob82
April 22nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
I would guess UNI had about the same today. Met a lot of nice Bison fans and players with the baseball team in town this weekend. Can't wait til the football teams meet.

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I would guess UNI had about the same today. Met a lot of nice Bison fans and players with the baseball team in town this weekend. Can't wait til the football teams meet.

I'm looking forward to the road trip to Northern Iowa. Closer than going to a home game for me.

GrizFanIRAQ
April 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Over 5,000 attended UM's final spring scrimmage....even though it was 300 miles(6hours) awAy!

X-Factor
April 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
What can you tell us about the replacements for Steffes and Dahl? How did they look? I think those are the two keys for the Bison this season.

It's six of one half dozen of the other at running back right now. We have alot of capable guys. Tyler Rohel, last years starting fullback, has been moved to RB and looks like the frontrunner ahead of last years backup and true freshman Pete Blincoe. He is a good reciever out of the backfield as well even though he is built like a tank (~235). As a fullback he had about 300 yards recieving last year. We also have 3 more running back comming this fall or possibly early this summer. One JUCO and 2 HS guys so they will be in the mix this fall. The JUCO is Pat Paschal who used to be on GSU's roster before transfering to Kansas JUCO.

At safety, Kyle Belmont is the starter ahead of backup Cyrus Lemon. I think that position may be set but you never know. Belmont had some excellent plays in the spring game and will fill in very nicely for Craig Dahl, but he isn't going to make us forget about Dahl. At least not yet.

I believe this was the first year that the Bison kept a true game clock going and played the whole game instead of using a running clock. Quite a bit of depth to work with at every position compared to last year.

Mountain Panther
April 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Not to take anything away from NDSU, but Penn State had 71,000. That's a lot. And the student section formed an orange and maroon VT....pretty cool.
http://www.gopsusports.com/docs/home/042107/home042107vtlogo.jpg

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Alabama had 92k to see Saben.

AmsterBison
April 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
The whole idea of going to NDSU's spring game is a pretty new one... it may take some time to make it into an annual event but, hey, as long as the crowds keep getting bigger, we can't complain.

NDSUFREAK
April 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I had a great time at the Spring Game festivities. I saw that Steve Walker will be as good this year as he was that year and that is scary for opponents. He completely controlled the game at times.
Linebackers are the best I think NDSU will ever have and I am really excited to see some competition for the Buchanan award this upcoming season. Excitement about NDSU football is at a high right now.

Larz
April 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Coach Bohl remembers the attendance at UN Linclon spring games better than I, but this year there were 62,000 + at the spring game.

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
The Nebraska spring game was televised on NFLNetwork a few days ago.

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
The Nebraska spring game was televised on NFLNetwork a few days ago.

That's because the University of Nebraska is the best Pro team in Nebraska.

Fresno St. Alum
April 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
That's because the University of Nebraska is the best Pro team in Nebraska.
yes they arexnodx xlolx

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
I thought NDSU had one of those incredible fan followings. Just over 2142 at the Green-Yellow game(?) doesn't sound too impressive. Liberty drew more than twice that! What gives with that?

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
I guess we have a small fan base. We only averaged 16377 last season.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
I guess we have a small fan base. We only averaged 16377 last season.
Thats what I'm saying. You draw 16K during the season and 2K for the spring game? Something is strange. Outback sponsers the game and an 1/8th of the normal crowd show?
I am not meaning to insult the NDSU fans, but 2142 is Towson style numbers. xnonono2x

AmsterBison
April 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Thats what I'm saying. You draw 16K during the season and 2K for the spring game? Something is strange. Outback sponsers the game and an 1/8th of the normal crowd show?
I am not meaning to insult the NDSU fans, but 2142 is Towson style numbers. xnonono2x

Yeah, the idea of going to a spring game is a whole new concept in the Dakotas. In Liberty's neck of the woods, going to the spring game is what fans are expected to do.

To put it into perspective, the Minnesota Gophers drew 7,000 for their spring game after averaging 52,000 per game in 2006. In the North Country, we have to be satisfied with increasing attendance every year until people accept it as a new addition to their social calendar. But it is going to be a tough sell people want to be outside after a long winter - and kids have lots of activities in the spring.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, the idea of going to a spring game is a whole new concept in the Dakotas. In Liberty's neck of the woods, going to the spring game is what fans are expected to do.

To put it into perspective, the Minnesota Gophers drew 7,000 for their spring game after averaging 52,000 per game in 2006. In the North Country, we have to be satisfied with increasing attendance every year until people accept it as a new addition to their social calendar. But it is going to be a tough sell people want to be outside after a long winter - and kids have lots of activities in the spring.
But doesn't NDSU have a dome? What? is Spring football a East Coast thing? I'm not busting balls or anything or poking fun, I hope Towson draws 2K to the Black and Gold game, Why is spring football new to the "North Country".

I would think after a long winter, you'd be itching to get out.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Dude, Andy, many people just don't even know about it or really care about it. It is just a scrimmage. I only attended my first JMU Spring Game and we had all of 500-1000 on a gorgeous 75 degree day with not a cloud in the sky.

Of course, there was a major block-party going on all day in one of the apartment complexes and other "festivities" going on for alumni weekend.

Every school is different. I would not say that Spring Game attendance is indicative of much of anything other than one simple factor of the anticipation of the upcoming year.

I'm sure the Bison will have an all-time record attendance for their 2007 season. I'm hoping JMU can do the same, but slightly skeptical with 4 straight home games so early in the season and some questions heading into the year with losses of key seniors on both sides of the ball.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
the Minnesota Gophers drew 7,000 for their spring game after averaging 52,000 per game in 2006.

They had 15k for their spring game on Apr 7th 07.

Not bad for them.

bisonguy
April 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Season ticket sales are supposedly at an all-time high.

Very possible to exceed 17,000 this year.

Some of my photos of the game are up at

BisonSport.Net (http://bisonsports.net/PhotoGallery//thumbnails.php?album=4)(have to be registered on bisonsports.net)
and
BisonInsider.com (http://www.bisoninsider.com/fantalk.html)

phillyAPP
April 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Season ticket sales are supposedly at an all-time high.

Very possible to exceed 17,000 this year.

Some of my photos of the game are up at

BisonSport.Net (http://bisonsports.net/PhotoGallery//thumbnails.php?album=4)
and
BisonInsider.com (http://www.bisoninsider.com/fantalk.html)

You have season tickets for sale !!!!!!!!!!!! Holy *****, we don't even have a schedule.xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx
xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

bisonguy
April 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
You have season tickets for sale !!!!!!!!!!!! Holy *****, we don't even have a schedule.xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx
xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Hey, I paid for my season tickets when there were only four home games announced. xwhistlex xwhistlex

PantherRob82
April 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm looking forward to the road trip to Northern Iowa. Closer than going to a home game for me.

That has to suck. I hated the short periods I lived away from the area.

Gil Dobie
April 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
That has to suck. I hated the short periods I lived away from the area.

It's not that bad, I still have season tickets, and make most of the home games. The NDSU vs Minnesota Game is a 25 minute drive thru the city.

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Anyone know how many season tickets have been sold so far??