PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly vacating wins

ccd494
April 18th, 2019, 03:29 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26554592/ncaa-comes-cal-poly-books-violation

In a 21-page report released Thursday, the NCAA said Cal Poly provided cash stipends of $800, intended for books and academic supplies, to 265 student-athletes between 2012-2015 that did not equal the cost of the items. The investigation determined these cash stipends resulted in 30 student-athletes exceeding their financial aid limits by an average of $174.57.

"Several student-athletes used the book stipend to pay for items that were not related to required books or supplies such as food, rent, utilities and car repairs," the report said. "On an individual basis, for those student-athletes who received cash that exceeded the cost of books and supplies, the value of the overages ranged from $5 to $734 and totaled $16,180."

TheKingpin28
April 18th, 2019, 04:03 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26554592/ncaa-comes-cal-poly-books-violationThe NCAA will always go after a school like this. We all know they would never go after a moneymaker team for football like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or a basketball team like North Carolina or Duke as that would eat into their profits. More reason to hate the game but not the player.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

wapiti
April 18th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Seems like a severe penalty for the dollar amounts involved.

How much did the NCAA spend investigating this violation, especially compared to the amount violated? The NCAA may have spent more than what CP over stipended the students.

FormerPokeCenter
April 18th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Clearly, they were mad at USC or UCLA...

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2019, 04:46 PM
It's not about the money, it's that they were three time offenders. Fool me once...

Laker
April 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM
The NCAA will always go after a school like this. We all know they would never go after a moneymaker team for football like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or a basketball team like North Carolina or Duke as that would eat into their profits. More reason to hate the game but not the player

North Carolina avoided any book scholarship violations by not having any. You don't need one if you don't have to go to class or do any work and still get an A. Brilliant. They should change their nickname to the Emma Stones- Easy A.

TheKingpin28
April 18th, 2019, 05:07 PM
North Carolina avoided any book scholarship violations by not having any. You don't need one if you don't have to go to class or do any work and still get an A. Brilliant. They should change their nickname to the Emma Stones- Easy A.And yet, the NCAA claims to care about the Student-Athlete even though we all know that is a complete sham.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
April 18th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Oh god, the notebooks were on sale!

The horror!

Redbird 4th & short
April 18th, 2019, 05:52 PM
this is crazy, though I have no perspective if they've been doing other sh-t historically. But the math on this one just makes the penalty look way over the top. Note what they said ,,, the flat $800 per student per year with no regard for what books actually cost, and only 30 of 265 athletes exceeded the max aid allowed by average of $174. Which means that 174 x 30 = $5220 x 3 years = the 16k ... but 5k a year ... and they vacate all their wins for 5k across all sports ... seriously ?????????

Such nice work NCCI ... you are saving our youth from corruption ... $174 at a time. Time very well spent I'm sure because so many other programs out there are squeeky clean.

Laker
April 18th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Such nice work NCCI ... you are saving our youth from corruption ... $174 at a time. Time very well spent I'm sure because so many other programs out there are squeeky clean.

I'm wondering how much they spent investigating this crime against humanity.

Boise State got reprimanded a few years ago. One of the charges was that an athlete washed their car using a college owned hose. Must have been related to Martin Borman.

Redbird 4th & short
April 19th, 2019, 09:01 AM

Boise State got reprimanded a few years ago. One of the charges was that an athlete washed their car using a college owned hose. Must have been related to Martin Borman.
exactly, how about a simple fine against the school to discourage it ?

xscanx

by the way, my math was off ... not $174 at a time, because I only divide by the 30 athletes who went over ... the magnitude of this grave infraction should be taken across all 265 student athletes, not just the 30 who went over, since they are punishing every athlete ... so that number is closer to $18 overage per student athlete.

so $18 at a time .... great work NCAA

xrulesx

slostang
April 19th, 2019, 09:03 AM
this is crazy, though I have no perspective if they've been doing other sh-t historically. But the math on this one just makes the penalty look way over the top. Note what they said ,,, the flat $800 per student per year with no regard for what books actually cost, and only 30 of 265 athletes exceeded the max aid allowed by average of $174. Which means that 174 x 30 = $5220 x 3 years = the 16k ... but 5k a year ... and they vacate all their wins for 5k across all sports ... seriously ?????????

The NCAA is afraid to level heavy handed penalties to the Power 5 teams because first it is the hand that feeds them and second they are afraid they will leave and form their own association. They take out their frustration on not being able to control the Power 5 schools by excessively penalizing any small transgressions by smaller schools. Cal Poly self reported this and their was NO intent to gain an advantage. If this was Alabama they most likely would have got a warning if that. The worst thing about the NCAA enforcement is there is ZERO consistency in it.

Outsider1
April 19th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Seems like a severe penalty for the dollar amounts involved.

How much did the NCAA spend investigating this violation, especially compared to the amount violated? The NCAA may have spent more than what CP over stipended the students.

When we were DII we had to vacate an entire season for a couple of shoes and other minor gifts. Much of it was stuff we self reported, so I doubt the NCAA spent much money investigating....

Laker
April 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM
When we were DII we had to vacate an entire season for a couple of shoes and other minor gifts. Much of it was stuff we self reported, so I doubt the NCAA spent much money investigating....

I don't know why anyone self reports anymore. Mizzou did and really got nailed. Other schools fight it and get off with nothing.

nodak651
April 19th, 2019, 10:35 AM
I don't know why anyone self reports anymore. Mizzou did and really got nailed. Other schools fight it and get off with nothing.

Exactly this. There is ZERO benefit to self reporting. It's amazing that the NCAA is as strict and unjust as it is, while being run by representatives from the member schools.

nodak651
April 19th, 2019, 10:37 AM
It's really pathetic, and sad, that the NCAA seems to takes into account zero consideration of the school's actual intent, or whether or not the programs actually gained a competitive advantage on the field.

AggieFinn
April 19th, 2019, 12:50 PM
I've seen nuclear power plant incident inquiry hearings with less penalty.

Schism55
April 19th, 2019, 02:59 PM
NCAA rulings out of touch and off base, say it ain't so >.>
C'mon NCAA, get your **** together

Bisonoline
April 19th, 2019, 06:45 PM
It's really pathetic, and sad, that the NCAA seems to takes into account zero consideration of the school's actual intent, or whether or not the programs actually gained a competitive advantage on the field.

Those parameters are used or not used at there whim.

I hate the NCAA.

slostang
April 19th, 2019, 07:44 PM
This is what ESPN’s Jay Bilas has to say about the NCAA ruling on Cal Poly:

“(The punishment) should be proportional, and it should be compared to other things, and you should take into account how is this going to be viewed. Because I think reasonable people look at this and think, ‘Are you kidding me?’” he said. “... The “Power Five” conferences ... they basically are professional in every way, shape and form.

“And then we’re going to get our undies in a bunch over books? That strikes any reasonable person, and the NCAA likes to use this word a lot, antithetical to what college sports are all about. Well, this is antithetical to what is reasonable.”

“If we really think this was done to gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace where Cal Poly was trying to distance itself from its competitors, I don’t believe that’s true,” Bilas said. “... You have North Carolina, and they get nothing. And then Cal Poly is going to vacate every game they’ve played in three and half years? That’s ridiculous. It doesn’t remedy the situation. It doesn’t serve as a deterrent. It doesn’t send a message to other schools. It’s absurd.”

Bilas believes Cal Poly’s mistake wasn’t only the infraction itself but also self-reporting to the NCAA.

“If they had just said, ‘OK, we’re changing the way we do things here and not give this amount for books anymore.’ If they didn’t self-report this, it never would have been an issue and nobody would have cared,” he said. “But it tests the school’s ethics, so they do the ethical thing and morally right thing and report something that is very minor in the grand scheme of things and then they get hit with a bag of hammers by the NCAA.”

Bilas doesn’t believe Cal Poly should take it quietly.

“The only thing they really can do is appeal and raise hell about it, and they should,” he said. “They should be livid about this. This is so far outside of the realm of reason, it’s almost unconscionable. What problem in the future is this going to solve? Boy, people better be really careful about books from now on. It’s just so dumb.”

Read more here: https://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article229476464.html#storylink=cpy

Outsider1
April 19th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Often when schools try to do the right thing they get punished. Schools that try to do the right thing aren't perfect, but I agree with the NCAA double standard that it often thrives on.

Lorne_Malvo
April 19th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Hate the NCAA. Mad props to Cal Poly for doing the ethical thing knowing there would be consequences.

Catbooster
February 7th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Less than a year for the appeal of this egregious violation to be decided. I'm sure the NCAA put great thought and effort into evaluating the competitive advantage gained by the cheating thugs at Cal Poly. They're lucky they didn't get the death penalty.

https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-will-lose-records-after-ncaa-denies-appeal-of-textbook-stipend-violations/

/s
j/k xsmiley_wixI suppose I have to put this here or someone will think I was serious.

Bisonoline
February 7th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Less than a year for the appeal of this egregious violation to be decided. I'm sure the NCAA put great thought and effort into evaluating the competitive advantage gained by the cheating thugs at Cal Poly. They're lucky they didn't get the death penalty.

https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-will-lose-records-after-ncaa-denies-appeal-of-textbook-stipend-violations/

(https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-will-lose-records-after-ncaa-denies-appeal-of-textbook-stipend-violations/)

/s
j/k xsmiley_wixI suppose I have to put this here or someone will think I was serious.

This is BULL-****!!!! ****-ing NCAA. (https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-will-lose-records-after-ncaa-denies-appeal-of-textbook-stipend-violations/)

cx500d
February 7th, 2020, 04:49 PM
Thank goodness we now have some integrity in college sports.

Grizzlies82
February 7th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Thank goodness we now have some integrity in college sports.

I knew there was something wrong in college football. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Now we know!

Libertine
February 7th, 2020, 06:08 PM
This is the same thing that got Charleston Southern a year ago. It's one of the most frustrating infractions because both the NCAA penalty is always heavy-handed yet, from the school's perspective, it is the single-most avoidable violation in the world!!!

<begin rant> Dear college: this rule ain't going anywhere and the NCAA ain't gonna cut you a break just because it's pocket change. You simply cannot hand an 18-year old kid $800, tell them they can only spend it on books and then send them to a store that sells cool stuff that they like along with the books! It's idiotic! You're practically begging them to make the wrong choice! Frankly, I'm amazed that only 30 kids cashed in. At that age, I certainly would have. If you, as an athletic department, don't want to create an NCAA problem for yourself, you take the $800, you buy the kids' books, you give them the books and you keep the rest of the money in the department's pocket. No money changes hands, the kids get what they need for classes and no more, nobody has to add up the pennies five years after the fact and nobody has to vacate wins. You have an academic support staff for athletes for exactly this kind of reason! It's so simple and it's amazing that more institutions of higher learning haven't figured this one out by now. <end rant>

slostang
February 8th, 2020, 06:43 PM
Here is an example of the NCAA’s being heavy handed to a non Power 5 school when they did not apply the same heavy handed penalties to a Power 5 school with the same (actually more egregious) infraction.

Throughout the process, the NCAA has repeatedly chosen to ignore prior cases that have facts nearly identical to those that occurred at Cal Poly. An example of this involved the University of Nebraska, which included more money in over-awarded text books ($27,869) and involved a greater number of student-athletes. In that case, the NCAA did not require Nebraska to vacate individual student-athlete records. Given this clear precedent, we find it incomprehensible that the NCAA is forcing Cal Poly to vacate the records of completely innocent student-athletes.

The NCAA should punish the school, not athletes that were unaware they had received an added benefit.

Redbird 4th & short
February 8th, 2020, 10:09 PM
This is the same thing that got Charleston Southern a year ago. It's one of the most frustrating infractions because both the NCAA penalty is always heavy-handed yet, from the school's perspective, it is the single-most avoidable violation in the world!!!

<begin rant> Dear college: this rule ain't going anywhere and the NCAA ain't gonna cut you a break just because it's pocket change. You simply cannot hand an 18-year old kid $800, tell them they can only spend it on books and then send them to a store that sells cool stuff that they like along with the books! It's idiotic! You're practically begging them to make the wrong choice! Frankly, I'm amazed that only 30 kids cashed in. At that age, I certainly would have. If you, as an athletic department, don't want to create an NCAA problem for yourself, you take the $800, you buy the kids' books, you give them the books and you keep the rest of the money in the department's pocket. No money changes hands, the kids get what they need for classes and no more, nobody has to add up the pennies five years after the fact and nobody has to vacate wins. You have an academic support staff for athletes for exactly this kind of reason! It's so simple and it's amazing that more institutions of higher learning haven't figured this one out by now. <end rant>
youre not wrong, but that doesn't mean NCAA wasnt too heavy handed. Vacating all the wins .. seriously ??? Why not just fine the school. This is jaywalking compared to what some schools, who are way better at cheating, get away with.

TennBison
February 9th, 2020, 08:49 AM
Here is the real funny part.
" The NCAA’s investigation revealed student-athletes also misused funds from the book stipends for non-course related materials. This included food, rent, utilities and auto repairs."
OMG, you mean they had the nerve to spend some of their extra money on the basic necessities of life. Good thing they didn't donate any money to a charity, as it might have been considered money laundering and the FBI would have gotten involved.

slostang
February 9th, 2020, 04:30 PM
I don’t think Cal Poly is happy about vacating wins and championships, but can live with that. What they feel is way over the top is vacating individual athletes records. If someone like Joe Prothero (this is an example, I do not know if he did) received extra money without knowing it was a violation the NCAA will strip his rushing records and he will no longer be Cal Poly’s all time leading rusher. That is just plain wrong. What makes it worse is the NCAA did not vacate individual records of athletes when they ruled on Nebraska for doing the same thing with more athletes for more money.

Bisonoline
February 9th, 2020, 04:43 PM
I don’t think Cal Poly is happy about vacating wins and championships, but can live with that. What they feel is way over the top is vacating individual athletes records. If someone like Joe Prothero (this is an example, I do not know if he did) received extra money without knowing it was a violation the NCAA will strip his rushing records and he will no longer be Cal Poly’s all time leading rusher. That is just plain wrong. What makes it worse is the NCAA did not vacate individual records of athletes when they ruled on Nebraska for doing the same thing with more athletes for more money.

Cal Poly need to take them to court. The NCAA hates that.

Sycamore62
February 10th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Ask someone from Cal Poly how many games they won those years. The answer will not have changed. Stupidity all around

MSUBobcat
February 10th, 2020, 01:33 PM

That makes this so much worse: not only did they get hammered much worse than other schools in similar scenarios, nor that they SELF-REPORTED, but that they actually PAID for an outside firm to investigate it. From the article, "Cal Poly became aware its process for distributing the book stipends did not follow NCAA rules at a Big West Conference financial aid summit in October 2015, which led the school to hire an outside agency to review its financial aid practices and eventually self-report the error to NCAA enforcement staff." So they were at a conference, learned that they may not be in compliance with financial aid rules, hired a firm to look into it, found out there were some minor oversights that gave them ZERO competitive or recruiting advantage (cuz let's be honest, no one is going, "hey kid, come to Cal Poly and we'll give you $800 for books and you can keep the change"), changed their policies and procedures, informed the NCAA and the NCAA's reaction is to beat them with a sock full of quarters?!?! Talk about disincentiving future self-reporting. This puts schools in a really ****ty position: do the ethical thing and turn yourself in or protect the achievements of the student-athletes who may not even have benefited. If the school knows that someone like Joe Protheroe (to use slostang's example) will lose his title as the all-time leading rusher because a 2nd string lineman used his book money to get an oil change, do they look at what happened here and turn a blind eye? I think chances are high going forward.

No good deed goes unpunished.