2010 - Rutgers
2011 - U. South Florida

So what do u guys think??

Fresno St. Alum
April 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Both are solid schools in the Big East

BigApp
April 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
should prepare you well for conference play ;)

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
So, Stony Brook will count as a 'counter'? That's a good thing as it means they'll be able to be competitive in the Big South. This is a true commitment to FCS!

How many scholarships do they offer now? Is their a time frame in place to reach the amount to be a counter?

DFW HOYA
April 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
How many scholarships do they offer now? Is their a time frame in place to reach the amount to be a counter?

I understand SBU will be at 55-60 this season when they open against the Hoyas on 9/1. Is this what Seawolf fans are hearing?

Sly Fox
April 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM
We wisely cancelled on a trip to Rutgers this past year and we've played USF in the past. It will be great for your players to get a taste of FBS. Glad to hear the commitment has been made by SB.

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Looks good to me ! Many lengthy discussions on another thread about us in the Big South - I think we will be competitve

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I think 55-60 scholarship players this season is about right .

stonywolf
April 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
i think this year we will have 45 schollies and then the year after it will be full.

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
should be some nice games for your kids... and shows just how much you guys are commiting to football which is great

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
good to see Stony Brook make the upgrade now we need Albany to do the same.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Stony Brook/Rutgers seems like a dream geographical matchup.

NJ metro area vs long island.

Rutgers is the flagship public university in NJ and Stony Brook could at least make an argument for being NY's public flagship.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Rutgers is the flagship public university in NJ and Stony Brook could at least make an argument for being NY's public flagship.

Anotehr argument could be made, of all schools, for Cornell. It is officially the state land-grant institution of New York.

Uncle Buck
April 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
I think it's great to see SBU making such commitments. It should also heat up the competition with Hofstra not only on the field but from a recruiting standpoint as well. Kudos to Fiore the AD at SBU for moving the program forward.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

And it would be a very weak argument as to my knowledge the Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook campuses are viewed as equals sharing the SUNY flagship role.

Consider this a cue for Danefan, Dane96 and UAalum72 to join in!!

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
I am already looking forward to the road trip down the NJ Turnpike- there is going to be alot of red in Rutgers that day.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook campuses are viewed as equals sharing the SUNY flagship role.

But is Buffalo, Albany, Binghampton, or NYC considered the main commercial center for NY?

Pageoner
April 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
i've always wondered why new york doesn't have a big presence in college athletics in general. Minus Syracuse. and their football team is horrible.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
i've always wondered why new york doesn't have a big presence in college athletics in general. Minus Syracuse. and their football team is horrible.

The SUNY system wasn't even in existence until 1948, when it assumed administration of a number of public and state-assisted colleges. Owing to the sheer bureaucracy of running 64 different schools ranging from I-A to junior colleges, there has never been the critical mass for a flagship state university.

Also remember that SUNY's presence in New York City is failrly limited. The CUNY (City University of New York) system is as large as the SUNY schools and gave up on major college athletics decades ago.

danefan
April 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Don't hold your breath for Albany to start scheduling FBS schools anytime soon. Albany will not rush into anything like Buffalo did in year's past. Albany probably won't go above the NEC scholly limit (which now is 30, but we are pushing for 45) until there is a concrete alternative to the NEC.

A lot of folks think that SBU is moving too fast for its own good. But we shall see.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
It'd be one thing if they were trying to get into the A10 with no scholarships.

If you build the infrastructure first, success will come.

Going to 63 scholarships and building quality facilities will attract top coaches and players.

danefan
April 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
It'd be one thing if they were trying to get into the A10 with no scholarships.

If you build the infrastructure first, success will come.

Going to 63 scholarships and building quality facilities will attract top coaches and players.

It didn't work for Buffalo. The other thought process is...be successful at each level before you move up...I'm not saying that SBU hasn't been successful (the shared the NEC two years ago), but I think Albany is trying to stay away from the Buffalo model.

Pageoner
April 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
yeah i don't think SBU could even remotely compete in the CAA
maybe with schools like Towson and URI, but not even so sure.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
It didn't work for Buffalo.

But it did work (or is starting to work now) for Rutgers.

Buffalo (or Albany) is not NYC. They're different.

danefan
April 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM

Agreed. Completely different locations.

I am a Rutgers and Greg Schiano fan...but Rutgers has had one good year....lets wait a few years before we start judging the success of Rutgers as a program.

Pageoner
April 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
i think alot of rutgers success this past year was a mix of schiano
but they also have the best fullback anyone has seen in the past ten years in Brian Leonard who could have been a first rounder last year

but they had the freshmen(i think?) running back ray rice as the 1-2 Punch
UNH was able to beat them in 2004
if they dont get the recruits
i think anything is possible against rutgers with Leonard gone.

danefan
April 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
8/30 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/buff.gif Buffalo TBA http://www.scarletknights.com/football/redskins_files/spacer.gif
9/7 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/navy.gif Navy 7:00 p.m. http://www.scarletknights.com/football/redskins_files/spacer.gif
9/15 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/nsu.gif Norfolk State TBA http://www.scarletknights.com/football/redskins_files/spacer.gif
9/29 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/mary.gif Maryland TBA http://www.scarletknights.com/football/redskins_files/spacer.gif
10/6 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/cinn.gif Cincinnati TBA http://www.scarletknights.com/football/redskins_files/spacer.gif
10/13 @http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/su.gif Syracuse TBA
10/18 vs.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/usf.gif South Florida 7:30 p.m.
10/27 vs.West Virginia TBA
11/3 @http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/uconn.gif Connecticut TBA
11/9 @http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/army.gif Army 8:00 p.m.
11/17 vs.Pittsburgh TBA
11/29 @http://www.scarletknights.com/football/images/schedule/ul.gif Louisville 7:30 p.m.

Sorry to talk about FBS here....but Rutgers will have a good year...they have a cake schedule. 5 home games to start the season!

Pageoner
April 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Louisville, USF, WVU, Maryland and Cincy will all be tough games.
sorry for the FBS talk.

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
We are talking over 3 years from now before we play Rutgers-plus Stonybrook will spend at least 4 seasons in the Big South Conference. By then who knows.

UAalum72
April 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
But is Buffalo, Albany, Binghampton, or NYC considered the main commercial center for NY?
No, but neither is halfway out the north shore of Long Island

The SUNY system wasn't even in existence until 1948, when it assumed administration of a number of public and state-assisted colleges. Owing to the sheer bureaucracy of running 64 different schools ranging from I-A to junior colleges, there has never been the critical mass for a flagship state university.
The story I heard is that the influential private school establishment wanted a divided State U system so it wouldn't be able to compete with them for fundraising. It wasn't until the 1970's that Binghamton, Albany and SBU began to approach the size where they could even consider moving up, and without support from SUNY Central.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
No, but neither is halfway out the north shore of Long Island

Still in the NYC TV market. That's all that matters.

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
First I dont know what the Buffalo model is. I went there in mid 1960's and they were a middle of the pack team then at best. I agree about the NYC market is huge and extends well into Suffolk County. I also dont know when you roll the dice and move up. Until Duquense comes up to speed I dont see the NEC at 45 scholarships until maybe 2009. And we are talking about 1 FBS game a year and not trying to get into the Big East.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

Just think if NY State had one flagship campus, don't you think you'd have another Penn State? I do.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
2010 - Rutgers
2011 - U. South Florida

So what do u guys think??

South Florida should be a nice road trip.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
We are talking over 3 years from now before we play Rutgers-plus Stonybrook will spend at least 4 seasons in the Big South Conference. By then who knows.

Whoa, tiger. There is NO guarantee that SB will be in the Big South four years from now.

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
i've always wondered why new york doesn't have a big presence in college athletics in general. Minus Syracuse. and their football and basketball teams arehorrible. (let me fix this for ya!!)

now you see my dilema while I'm stuck in this town!!!!

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

Anything north of the Tappan Zee bridge in New York City as might as well call it Canada because of large the differences between the city and Upstate New York. !!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

danefan
April 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Anything north of the Tappan Zee bridge in New York City as might as well call it Canada because of large the differences between the city and Upstate New York. !!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

It can also be argued that anything west of Queens should be considered a different state as well. Long Island is a whole different world. Or more appropriately stated....NYC is a whole different world.

I would also argue that Piscataway, NJ (where Rutgers is) is much much much different than NYC. Just because the Empire State Building was lit in red for the Rutgers/Pitt game doesn't mean NYC supports the program.

Pageoner
April 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
yeah that penn state model is dead on
because penn state also has like 30 satelitte campuses aswell.

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Few years back the SUNY system toyed with the idea of buying Syracuse University and turning the school into the flagship school of the SUNY system as you put it “like the PENN state system, but the idea failed and a SUNY president got fired along the way.

Earlier this year, I read an article in the local Syracuse paper outlining the possibility of turning Binghamton into the new flagship of the SUNY system. This distinction is currently being given primarily to UBuffalo and to a smaller degree shared by UAlbany B-town and Stoner Brook.
From the research standpoint a lot more money has been allocated this year to Bingo-town and Stony Brook over Buffalo and Albany, so the possibility still exist that in the long run Stony Brook may became the flagship of the SUNY system in the NYC metro area while Bingo-town may become the flagship of the state system, kind of UC Berkeley and UCLA.

So the possibility of a system ala PENN state, may be a possibility, but it looks like we may go the UC way with several semi flagships at the same time.

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
yeah that penn state model is dead on
because penn state also has like 30 satelitte campuses aswell.

Few years back (in the 50's) the SUNY system toyed with the idea of buying Syracuse University and turning the school into the flagship school of the SUNY system as you put it “like the PENN state system, but the idea failed and a SUNY president got fired along the way.

Earlier this year, I read an article in the local Syracuse paper outlining the possibility of turning Binghamton into the new flagship of the SUNY system. This distinction is currently being given primarily to UBuffalo and to a smaller degree shared by UAlbany Bingo-town and Stoner Brook.
From the research standpoint a lot more money has been allocated this year to Bingo-town and Stony Brook over Buffalo and Albany, so the possibility still exist that in the long run Stony Brook may became the flagship of the SUNY system in the NYC metro area while Bingo-town may become the flagship of the state system, kind of UC Berkeley (state) and UCLA (metro area).

So the possibility of a system ala PENN state, may be a possibility, but it looks like we may go the UC way with several semi flagships at the same time.

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Anotehr argument could be made, of all schools, for Cornell. It is officially the state land-grant institution of New York.

Yes, land grant school, however they have a tiny program (in order to keep up with the legal standards imposed by the land-grant status) dedicated to the State.

It, clearly, has nearly nothing to do with NYS. As for Stony Brook being the flagship...sorry, never going to happen.

Buffalo had that title when it was the only DI school in NYS. Additionally, Tom Golisano tried to get Buffalo (more like buy this) to change their name to NEW YORK STATE UNIVERSITY. The State, and Buffalo leaders, nixed it. Now, with lots of headway by State Legislators (many of whom I worked with), Albany seems to be destined for this role.

Stony Brook will be the premier science and med program, Binghamton the premier liberal arts, and Buffalo a combo of law and science. Albany is posturing, due to its central location and influence of legislators, to become the "overall" campus.

Personally, I think none will become the flagship school, instead continuing as is.

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM

Also remember that SUNY's presence in New York City is failrly limited. The CUNY (City University of New York) system is as large as the SUNY schools and gave up on major college athletics decades ago.

Not true: Brooklyn gave up DI sports in the mid-late 90's. Believe me, I know way too many players from those teams who went searching for new homes after that debacle. Sad, it is a really pretty campus.

While I agree with the CUNY-SUNY comparison, remember that Downstate Medical in Brooklyn is HUGE!

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
It didn't work for Buffalo. The other thought process is...be successful at each level before you move up...I'm not saying that SBU hasn't been successful (the shared the NEC two years ago), but I think Albany is trying to stay away from the Buffalo model.

Amen to that brother. Believe me, I heard the Buffalo pitch and I signed with Buffalo for a different sport. It took about, oh, the car ride home to change my mind.

Thankfully I did. That school's sport program is a DISASTER.

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Still in the NYC TV market. That's all that matters.

You keep peppering away...like tossing darts, without background.

STONY BROOK HAS ZERO PRESENCE IN THE NY MEDIA MARKET. They barely get coverage in Newsday (which, BTW, is a rag) and that is the "hometown" paper of Long Island.

College sports, in general, are not huge in the NY market. This is not going to be a Rutgers splash for Stony Brook. Sorry, Fiore is out of his mind.

THE NEW YORK LEGISLATURE WILL NEVER, EVER, APPROVE $$$ for sports that would be necessary to supplement private support.

Heck, until the late 90's, it was impossible to use State $$ for athletic scholarship funds.xsmhx

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Few years back (in the 50's) the SUNY system toyed with the idea of buying Syracuse University and turning the school into the flagship school of the SUNY system as you put it “like the PENN state system, but the idea failed and a SUNY president got fired along the way.

Earlier this year, I read an article in the local Syracuse paper outlining the possibility of turning Binghamton into the new flagship of the SUNY system. This distinction is currently being given primarily to UBuffalo and to a smaller degree shared by UAlbany Bingo-town and Stoner Brook.
From the research standpoint a lot more money has been allocated this year to Bingo-town and Stony Brook over Buffalo and Albany, so the possibility still exist that in the long run Stony Brook may became the flagship of the SUNY system in the NYC metro area while Bingo-town may become the flagship of the state system, kind of UC Berkeley (state) and UCLA (metro area).

That article, was an opinion and not based on fact.

I sat in on the NYS Higher Education Board when I worked in the State Assembly.

NO FLAGSHIP STATUS IS GIVEN TO ANY OF THE FOUR SCHOOLS. Golisano tried to buy it for Buffalo. It failed.

Again, it will be unlikely that ANY school will be the flagship.

The research info you give is also wrong. All four schools are Carnegie Class IV Research schools. The differnce is, Albany puts its research $$$ into a seperate Research Arm, broken into two groupings: The Rockefeller Institute (the Public Policy Research $$$) and The University Foundation. Both are seperate from the regular University grant arms.

Additionally, you have Gen-Y-Sis (NYS Cancer Research Institute) and CESTM/NANOTECH (the largest thin-film and nanotech collegiate research center in US). Those are not counted in the research $$$ received. They come in as "incubators."

Thus, it appears to the naked eye that Albany is funded at a lower level than the other SUNY's.

Due to Stony and Buffalo's medical programs, they too receive huge sums that are spun off into different arms.

Binghamton, is nowhere near the size of research funding that the three big schools are. Binghamton has always been considered the "Patriot" or "NESCAC" school of the SUNY's (e.g. similar to Hamilton, Williams, Colby, etc.)

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Good info Dane 96-interesting information

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM

What they should've done was buy out Cornell and turn that into the public flagship.

Could you imagine how big Cornell/Syracuse would be by now if they had done that?

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
STONY BROOK HAS ZERO PRESENCE IN THE NY MEDIA MARKET.

I know what you're saying and I'm sure you're right.

But of course you should realize that it doesn't matter.

Just being in the market is all that conference care about.

MWC takes TCU, for example. Etc.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
You would think with over 10 million people living within 75 miles of eachother the 5 FCS schools could find a nitch. Of course now it is all about the Yankees, Mets - Stanley Cup playoffs and the NBA palyoffs. The schools should promote themselves more as the football season approaches.