PDA

View Full Version : LFN will be at Brown/White Game

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'm going tomorrow with my wife and son. Any other Lehigh fans here going?

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I have some thoughts on the blog on position battles that should be good.

Engineer91
April 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'll be heading down for the game.

ngineer
April 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I will be there, myself. Hoping my Dad can make it up, too. Should be a glorious day. Maybe we can all meet up--LFN--pick a location and time?

LehighFan11
April 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Im most likely going

LehighFan11
April 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
How does Lehigh run their spring game? Is it offense v defense or 1st v. 2nd team?

ngineer
April 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Usually its the Offense versus the Defense. In addition there will special teams situations (fg, punt ret and rec.) and goal line situations for both O and D.

PapaBear
April 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'll be there. Probably with my wife.

My daughter's an Honors Alum.

Ahem ... I may be wearing Blue-andblue, tho. xsmiley_wix xlolx

Lehigh74
April 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Although I have a busy day tomorrow, I'm going to try and make it. The big problem is the 1 1/2 hour drive each way.

colorless raider
April 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Let us know how the Mountain Hawks look so we can determine if we have any chance this year!:)

ngineer
April 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
It was a glorious day at Goodman Stadium. The turf never looked better. Sunny and mid-70's. A lot of positives from my observations. Yes, there were some miscues and turnovers, but you're going to have them. What I liked was that there was a distinct energy. The runners ran hard (Pastore was out with sore shoulder) McGowan, Moore, and Parrot showed well.
Threat's arm was very strong. Missed some open receivers, but there were some excellent throws and catches, as well. Nick Johnson was a pleasant surprise with some nifty grabs and Yasane showed he should be watched carefully by opposing D's. Leo was very good on kicks and punting. His 45 yarder had 15+ yards to spare and the win was going across the field.
On Defense, the unit showed good mobility. Jon Warren looks to be the leading candidate for MG. Rising soph Darrell Ray moved from LB to DT and showed good quickness. Diamond at OLB was impressive. VanAckeren had an excellent interception. Brannon Thomas will be returning punts so his speed should be exciting back there.
Long snapper shows the need for more work. The majority were very good, but then he rolls one.
Both Marshall and Bokasky showed they can run the offense. In the event Threatt would go down, I would expect Marshall to get the call. He's a senior and a stronger arm.
The biggest plus was no serious injuries coming out of Spring game. Last year was tought with Harden breaking his leg and some other nicks and dings.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
It was a glorious day at Goodman Stadium. The turf never looked better. Sunny and mid-70's...

Meanwhile in Washington, it was cold and gray. A running back was filling in at QB and may even start there next season, which does not speak well for the 2007 depth chart.

http://www.thehoya.com/sports/042007/sports5.cfm

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Couldn't agree more with ng. A beautiful day with a pretty nice turnout as well (my guess, about 300-400 folks).

I've got a lat of yardwork to do, but tonight you can count on a decent recap, as well as *pictures* and an *exclusive interview with Coach Coen*.

Lehigh74
April 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
The biggest surprise for me is that the offensive line appears to have a lot more quality depth than I expected.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Couldn't agree more with ng. A beautiful day with a pretty nice turnout as well (my guess, about 300-400 folks).

I've got a lat of yardwork to do, but tonight you can count on a decent recap, as well as *pictures* and an *exclusive interview with Coach Coen*.

According to the website, attendance was around 1,100, which was close to my estimation. Past years I would estimate about 500-750

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
According to the website, attendance was around 1,100, which was close to my estimation. Past years I would estimate about 500-750

Admittedly, I had a rough time estimating the attendance. With no reason to underreport/overreport, I'd say their estimate is probably spot-on.

Hoping to have my analysis up shortly.

The Last Engineer
April 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
What a fantastic day. Fabulous weather, some promising players and plays, and no obvious major injuries. No Lehigh fan could have asked for a better scenario.

It was great to see the big plays on offense, both on the run and the pass. Sedale's arm was strong, and both Marshall and Bokosky made solid showings. I think we will get to see many different looks (thanks to depth and variety at RB) out of the running game this year plus a more vertical passing attack. We should all be thankful that Reese is back to stabilize the OL.

The defense was aggressive with the secondary leading the way. The front seven needs more time (and bodies on the DL) to come together. The incoming frosh could have a real chance of getting playing time. Things were far smoother on D than in last year's B/W Game. Players look more accustomed to the 3-4 and will hopefully be physically better-suited to play in it.

Special teams will be fine, especially if Leo keeps displaying the same leg strength he did on Saturday. His FG attempts were very encouraging. Protection looked good.

I hope that the continuity on the coaching staff and in their respective systems will translate into players acting on instinct instead of having to analyze before making a play. There were so many changes last year that the team just looked a little lost or a half-step behind at times. I saw far less of that on Saturday with no drop-off in the intensity and fun that the team displayed during their wins last season.

Things are moving in the right direction. From the stands, the team sure looks a lot and sounds a lot happier than they did a couple years ago. Go Lehigh! Fight like champions!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
My impressions of the Brown/White game are up:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I'm pretty sure I passed a guy in a Maine shirt while I was running around the stands with my son. Papa Bear? xsmiley_wix

Also wanted to mention: On the blog is a link to my photo gallery from the game.

ngineer
April 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
What a fantastic day. Fabulous weather, some promising players and plays, and no obvious major injuries. No Lehigh fan could have asked for a better scenario.

It was great to see the big plays on offense, both on the run and the pass. Sedale's arm was strong, and both Marshall and Bokosky made solid showings. I think we will get to see many different looks (thanks to depth and variety at RB) out of the running game this year plus a more vertical passing attack. We should all be thankful that Reese is back to stabilize the OL.

The defense was aggressive with the secondary leading the way. The front seven needs more time (and bodies on the DL) to come together. The incoming frosh could have a real chance of getting playing time. Things were far smoother on D than in last year's B/W Game. Players look more accustomed to the 3-4 and will hopefully be physically better-suited to play in it.

Special teams will be fine, especially if Leo keeps displaying the same leg strength he did on Saturday. His FG attempts were very encouraging. Protection looked good.

I hope that the continuity on the coaching staff and in their respective systems will translate into players acting on instinct instead of having to analyze before making a play. There were so many changes last year that the team just looked a little lost or a half-step behind at times. I saw far less of that on Saturday with no drop-off in the intensity and fun that the team displayed during their wins last season.

Things are moving in the right direction. From the stands, the team sure looks a lot and sounds a lot happier than they did a couple years ago. Go Lehigh! Fight like champions!

Good to see you here--not sure I caught you before. Yes, I sensed a greater comfort level on the field. People looked like they knew what to do, no looking around at one another questioning..Should make a big difference this year. If the Frosh from California is everything we read, he'll be a force in this defensive alignment.

PapaBear
April 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I passed a guy in a Maine shirt while I was running around the stands with my son. Papa Bear? xsmiley_wix

Probably was me. Unless you had more than one Maine fan at the game?

I was impressed with Threatt and the overall timing of your passing game. Those guys were in mid-season form.

UMaine plays its Spring Game (technically, the "Jeff Cole Scrimmage," named after a young, well-loved Special Teams coach who lost a long battle with cancer a few years ago) on May 5.

Then the long hot summer (xbawlingx ) before real football starts.

The Last Engineer
April 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I thought that a long hot summer in Maine only lasted about 3 weeks. Don't you guys *still* have snow on the ground?

Agreed that it is another long haul until meaningful football resumes. I guess that the spring games really serve as a nice halftime show to the offseason.

PapaBear
April 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=The Last Engineer]I thought that a long hot summer in Maine only lasted about 3 weeks. Don't you guys *still* have snow on the ground?/QUOTE]

That's a common misconception. Today was near 60 in Orono. And I guarantee I'll watch the Spring Game in shorts and a T-shirt.

Last summer they had several 100-degree days.

Orono ain't Caribou. Orono weather is closer to Northern Mass. weather than it is to what you'd traditionally think of as "Maine" weather.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Orono ain't Caribou.

This is going to be my slogan for Maine football from now on. xlolx Thanks Papa Bear!