PDA

View Full Version : JMU & UMass picked in the A10

ChickenMan
August 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Pre-season predictions from the A10 Media Day...

South:

JMU
UD
W&M
Nova
Richmond
Towson

North:

UMass
UNH
Hofstra
Maine
N'Eastern
URI

very happy to see JMU picked to repeat... as it's normally the kiss of death to be the A10 pre-season #1. :nod:

umassfan
August 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Pre-season predictions from the A10 Media Day...

South:

JMU
UD
W&M
Nova
Richmond
Towson

North:

UMass
UNH
Hofstra
Maine
N'Eastern
URI

very happy to see JMU picked to repeat... as it's normally the kiss of death to be the A10 pre-season #1. :nod:
I dont think anything looks out of norm right now, but in the A10 everything changes week 1.

WMTribe90
August 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Pretty reasonable and no real surprises. I might swap WM and UD in the south and UNH and Hofstra in the north. Truthfully though, the top three in either division are virtually interchangeable at this point IMO. Nova is a darkhorse and Richmond, Northeastern, and Maine could beat anyone in the league on AGS.

DTSpider
August 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
That's why you've gotta love the A10. Every game is important and interesting. With the exception of Towson and maybe URI there aren't any for sure W's out there for any team.

umassfan
August 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
That's why you've gotta love the A10. Every game is important and interesting. With the exception of Towson and maybe URI there aren't any for sure W's out there for any team.

URI wasnt an easy W for us last year. They were our only loss in the last 5 games last season.

blukeys
August 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Jim Leycock interviewed at the A-10 media day says that he is leaning towards Mike Potts of Middletown De. as his starting QB. Still a long way till opening kickoff.

WMTribe90
August 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Blukeys,

Did UD offer Potts out of HS? Seems WM has gotten quite a few players out of DE. The McLaurin twins, which start at FB and MLB, and our starting center and team captain also hails from Delaware I believe.

Unless someone really shines in camp, I still think we see both QBs against Marshall.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM
I don't think there was great interest from either party - Potts in UD or UD in Potts. UD had gone after Skinskie (opted for pro baseball) and Moyer (2nd team behind Riccio this year) in successive years, plus already had able backup in Carty on the bench. Besides, not every kid wants to go to school close by - UD pulls a lot of recruits in from Virginia despite the plethora of football school options in that state.

ChickenMan
August 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
I don't think UD ever offered Potts... the Hens only recruited one QB in '03 and got an early commitment from Jamie Moyer... an All-State QB out of PA who led his team to the '03 PA 'AAA' State title.

WMTribe90
August 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
GF, It wasn't a loaded question. Just curious if he was on UDs radar coming out of HS. I know UD recruits the peninsula with some success. I think our system and Laycock's record of developing top-notch QB talent is a real draw when it comes to recruiting. We are three deep at QB and have a highly touted freshman from Charlottesville in this class.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2005, 02:42 PM
I'm sure Potts was on the radar, WMT, but you can't recruit and get everybody - UD made a choice that they liked Moyer (from Manheim Central in PA - Matt Nagy's and Jeff Smoker's alma mater) and they went after him. Not sure how mobile Potts is but the UD offense calls for the QB to run a lot more than W&M does - that may have been a consideration as well. And like I said, not sure if Potts even had an interest in UD - don't know what his major is so I don't know if W&M was a better fit for what he wanted to study or not - not sure if he wanted to go away for college, etc.

blukeys
August 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Blukeys,

Did UD offer Potts out of HS? Seems WM has gotten quite a few players out of DE. The McLaurin twins, which start at FB and MLB, and our starting center and team captain also hails from Delaware I believe.

Unless someone really shines in camp, I still think we see both QBs against Marshall.
The short answer is no UD did not make an offer. There were some contacts but Potts showed little interest in UD.

While in High school Potts showed an interest in Maryland and Rutgers and vice versa. He made quite a few visits to both campuses and his first choice was Maryland. He was interested in Rutgers due to an uncle who is employed by the Jets organization and has connections to Rutgers.

In the end Maryland was only willing to offer preferred walk on status and Rutgers was only willing to give a partial scholarship while W&M offered a full scollie.

Although the Maryland situation was a disappointment, I personally think that it has worked out best for Potts. I think the quarterback development at W&M is second to none and he won't get lost in the shuffle.

WMTribe90
August 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Blukeys,

Do you know Potts or his family personally. You seem pretty up on the subject.

I'm sure Potts was on the radar, WMT, but you can't recruit and get everybody - UD made a choice that they liked Moyer (from Manheim Central in PA - Matt Nagy's and Jeff Smoker's alma mater) and they went after him. Not sure how mobile Potts is but the UD offense calls for the QB to run a lot more than W&M does - that may have been a consideration as well. And like I said, not sure if Potts even had an interest in UD - don't know what his major is so I don't know if W&M was a better fit for what he wanted to study or not - not sure if he wanted to go away for college, etc.

GF,

I think you misunderstood the intent of my original post. I wasn't trying to suggest that WM somehow stole Potts away for UD. Was really just curious as to UDs level of interest. I wasn't trying to start a pissing match over recruiting.

BTW, From what I've heard Phillips is clearly the better runner, but Potts is a capable scrambler with a good feel for the pocket. If we had an inexperienced line Phillips might be the better choice. However, our OL should give Potts ample time to throw if Laycock chooses Potts.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks Blukeys,

GF,

I think you misunderstood the intent of my original post. I wasn't trying to suggest that WM somehow stole Potts away for UD. Was really just curious as to UDs level of interest. I wasn't trying to start a pissing match over recruiting.

BTW, From what I've heard Phillips is clearly the better runner, but Potts is a capable scrambler with a good feel for the pocket. If we had an inexperienced line Phillips might be the better choice. However, our OL should give Potts ample time to throw if Laycock chooses Potts.

Never took it or wrote it like it was a pissing match - no worries.

charliej
August 3rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
.....very happy to see JMU picked to repeat... as it's normally the kiss of death to be the A10 pre-season #1. :nod:

Aint that the truth. :p

MaineFan
August 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Im Glad Maine is being picked in the middle(less pressure). I think overall it looks about right to start the year,but as we have seen the last 2 or 3 years the A-10 is so competitive that ANYONE can beat anyone. I think the league is as up for grabs as it ever has been.

Good Luck to everyone! lets make it 3 straight years the national title has come from the A-10!

blukeys
August 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks Blukeys,

GF,

My classroom was 2 doors down from his football coach (Coach Dinardo went to the same high school as myself and his wife was my teacher's aide.) I knew the kid and we went over the strength training program W&M sent him in May of '03'. I gave him some plyometric programs to look at for improving speed.

I taught 2 of his receivers although not Mike but I will say he is a quality hard working kid.

jmuroller
August 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
I'll take the kiss of death. As long as we make the playoffs baby. That's the name of the game in 1AA

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM
My classroom was 2 doors down from his football coach (Coach Dinardo went to the same high school as myself and his wife was my teacher's aide.) I knew the kid and we went over the strength training program W&M sent him in May of '03'. I gave him some plyometric programs to look at for improving speed.

I taught 2 of his receivers although not Mike but I will say he is a quality hard working kid.

He is a quality kid, and has reportedly worked extremely hard this off season. He had a connection to W&M in that his cousin, Keith, played for the Tribe.

His mobility has improved. He ran well and hard in the spring game.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Despite the experienced line, I think Phillips' mobility and his threat to run make him the better choice. He and Potts both showed excellent accuracy this spring, and while Potts has the stronger arm, it's not by alot. We're fortunate to have two kids this talented to choose from.

JMU Duke Dog
August 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'll take the kiss of death. As long as we make the playoffs baby. That's the name of the game in 1AA

JMU's head coach Mickey Matthews says UMass will be the team to beat in 2005. Here is an article from Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record on the yesterday's A10 media day.

Mickey: UMass No. 1

By MIKE BARBER
Daily News-Record

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – James Madison football coach Mickey Matthews and Massachusetts’ Don Brown are close friends, talking by phone every week.

Maybe that’s why their two football teams appear so similar.

And perhaps that’s the reason the Minutemen are the pick to make a run at the kind of season JMU had last year – one that culminated in the Division I-AA championship.

"Our league is very simple," Matthews said Wednesday at the Atlantic 10’s annual media day. "I think UMass is the conference favorite and I think there’s about six or seven of us that are a step behind.

"I’d pick UMass the No. 1 team in the country right now."

The league’s coaches and media chose Massachusetts and New Hampshire as the preseason favorites in the conference’s North Division, while JMU was the choice in the South.

"We’ve got all 22 on the depth chart back on defense," Brown said. "We really feel pretty good, but you better feel good at this point, just going into the preseason, or you’re in a heck of a lot of trouble."

After UMass and New Hampshire, the projected order of finish in the North is Hofstra, Maine, Northeastern and Rhode Island.

Delaware, the 2003 national champion, was picked second in the South, followed by William & Mary, Villanova, Richmond and Towson.

In 2004, James Madison -- returning 10 starters on offense and eight on defense from a team that went 6-6 the year before -- was picked to finish fourth in the South. Instead, the Dukes finished in a three-way tie for first, went 13-2 overall and won the national title.

This year, the Minutemen bring back eight starters on offense plus all 11 on defense from a team that was 6-5 in 2004.

One of those returners is defensive back Shannon James, a preseason all-conference selection. James said he hadn’t thought much about the similarities between his team and last year’s national champs – but he liked the comparison.

"I haven’t looked at it like that, but I think we can do it," James said, smiling. "If you want to look at it that way, that’s great. Thanks for the compliment."

All the coaches agreed that their jobs aren’t made any easier playing in what they consider the toughest league in I-AA football. Last year, the A-10 put a record four teams in the playoffs. The last two national champions have both come from the league.

"You can’t predict this league," James said. "This league is so talented and everybody’s so equal, you can’t really pick. Nobody predicted New Hampshire to be as good as they were last year and they came out and had a tremendous season."

New Hampshire went 10-3 and advanced to the second round of the playoffs, where it lost to national runner-up Montana. Who’s poised for that kind of turnaround this year? The popular choice is Hofstra.

Pride coach Joe Gardi didn’t back away from those expectations Wednesday.

"What people forget is we were ready to take that step last year, too, until [quarterback] Bobby Seck got hurt," Gardi said. "We played Montana tough for three quarters. Had we had our quarterback, I think we would have made an impact last year."

Gardi said his players respect the competition the A-10 throws at them week in and week out but thinks his team is ready to reverse its recent misfortunes in tight games.

"We’re not intimidated by our conference," Gardi said. "But we know they’re good. We know they’re the best in I-AA. I think it’s kind of get-even time for our players for a couple of these close games we’ve had. I think it’s a matter of getting our pride back and being one of the top teams in the country like we’re used to."

William & Mary might be the league’s biggest mystery. Nobody seemed too sure what to think of the Tribe. They’re coming off an 11-3 season that ended with a national semifinal loss to JMU. But they also graduated quarterback Lang Campbell, the Walter Payton award-winner as I-AA’s top player.

"We were extremely productive offensively last year," W&M coach Jimmye Laycock said. "When we had the ball, we scored. We can’t count on that. We have to have other people be playmakers and it’s got to start on defense."

Defense is what drives both JMU and Massachusetts – defense and a run-dominated offensive attack.

"The thing that compares heavily is the way they play on defense," New Hampshire coach Sean McDonnell said. "They have a lot of fast guys that can run to the football and they get after you. UMass will blitz you a little bit more and they’re very good. Offensively, I think Mickey’s offense is a little more wide-open in some ways, with some of the sets they do."

And the players can’t wait for the Oct. 15 meeting in Amherst.

"It’s fun because you know what to expect," UMass senior linebacker Serge Tikum said. "It’s going to be back and forth, pounding, pounding."

Anovafan
August 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Much harder to be the hunted than the hunter in the A-10. I like the low pre-season expectations for Nova. I wish they did north/south predictions and an overall prediction for the league. Here's mine:

S
JMU
Nova
UD
W&M
UR
Towson

N
UNH
Umass
Maine
Hofstra