# 9/21 College of New Jersey xeyebrowx
# 9/29 at Geneva xeyebrowx

UNHWildCats
April 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
pathetic huh Saint

andy7171
April 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Pathetic is right.

My brother-in-law went to LaSalle and played DT there. My father-in-law acts like he played at the same of football that I did at Towson. It "angers" me.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Didn't they play D-III Husson College (Bangor, ME) last season? xwhistlex

saint0917
April 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
pathetic huh Saint

That's just awful. xsmhx

saint0917
April 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Didn't they play D-III Husson College (Bangor, ME) last season? xwhistlex

Yes, AND LOST.

LaSalle (http://www.diaafootball.com/team000477.html)

andy7171
April 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, AND LOST.

LaSalle (http://www.diaafootball.com/team000477.html)
They also played D.III Catholic, but beat them 27-14.

Franks Tanks
April 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Geneva is NAIA --or used to be I believe they are transitioning to NCAA D-II perhaps, anyway pretty pathetic schedule

saint0917
April 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I don't mind if FCS teams playing ONE D-II or DIII schools as long as there is some history or tradition behind it, like Delaware and West Chester or geographically close like Umass did with AIC one year, but THREE lower tier teams?? Why not play Villanova, Colgate or Albany? It's not like they would have to travel far to play those teams.

UNHWildCats
April 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I can understand wanting home games but travelking to Geneva -_-

JMG1MON
April 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I don't mind if FCS teams playing ONE D-II or DIII schools as long as there is some history or tradition behind it, like Delaware and West Chester or geographically close like Umass did with AIC one year, but THREE lower tier teams?? Why not play Villanova, Colgate or Albany? It's not like they would have to travel far to play those teams.

Cause these teams aren't going to downgrade their schedule to play LaSalle. xsmhx

Ivytalk
April 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I see where the Explorers play Idle twice at home!:D

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Why not play Villanova, Colgate or Albany? It's not like they would have to travel far to play those teams.

At some point at the end of the line, you will have schools that simply can't find anyone willing and able to fill its open dates. That's where LaSalle is right now.

BigApp
April 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
wow. this is a pathetic schedule.

The NCAA needs to step in a stop this type of stuff. If you're going to play on the FCS level, you really need to play an FCS schedule. Limit the OOC's to one non-DI per year. Man, gotta have some standards

I think this is the worst schedule I've seen.

Go...gate
April 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised and disappointed at this.

Three D-III schools bespeaks a lack of effort on LaSalle's part in finding opponents.

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM
The NCAA needs to step in a stop this type of stuff. If you're going to play on the FCS level, you really need to play an FCS schedule. Limit the OOC's to one non-DI per year. Man, gotta have some standards

If they can't otherwise fill the schedule, what then? A six game schedule?

Remember, this is a school with four league opponents.

UAalum72
April 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by BigApp

There is a standard in the NCAA rule book - nine game minimum, with at least half vs. Division I

Not much of a standard, but there it is

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cause these teams aren't going to downgrade their schedule to play LaSalle. xsmhx

And that's LaSalle's fault as they don't make themselves out to be anything more than the posterchild of the bad outcome of the NCAA mandating schools play DI football if they have a basketball team in DI. LaSalle makes little to no effort to be anything other than a DIII team in disguise by continuing to play schedules like these. If they wanted to be more attractive and actually wanted to play the nova's and Colgate's of the world they would actually dump the DIII schools and play them. However, when you actually lose to those DIII schools I think it's pretty obvious that LaSalle would be decidedly beaten if they did all of a sudden play a better schedule. If they were drilling these DIII schools that would be one thing, but they are competitive games and LaSalle does lose to them. Like I said, posterchild school of a bad NCAA mandate.

dbackjon
April 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM
And that's LaSalle's fault as they don't make themselves out to be anything more than the posterchild of the bad outcome of the NCAA mandating schools play DI football if they have a basketball team in DI. LaSalle makes little to no effort to be anything other than a DIII team in disguise by continuing to play schedules like these. If they wanted to be more attractive and actually wanted to play the nova's and Colgate's of the world they would actually dump the DIII schools and play them. However, when you actually lose to those DIII schools I think it's pretty obvious that LaSalle would be decidedly beaten if they did all of a sudden play a better schedule. If they were drilling these DIII schools that would be one thing, but they are competitive games and LaSalle does lose to them. Like I said, posterchild school of a bad NCAA mandate.

And I will continue to disagree on the good/bad of the NCAA mandate. I think it was justified. Posts like this by Dayton fan show the NCAA logic:

Ours is a multi-purpose indoor facility. The old physical activities center, ( PAC ), was replaced by a new, $25 million center for the university. The old center is being renovated to further support UD athletics, including football. We also have a new, very nice outdoor practice field, in addition to Welcome Stadium. Once you review the above link, check out some of the other information on the site. The current opening screen advertises our spring game on Saturday, April 21, 2007.

We may not provide scholarships, but we have facilities that rival any school in FCS.

A real D-III school can not begin to compete/match these facilities. It was, and still is a very un-even playing field. D-I schools have NO business playing in D-III.

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
And I will continue to disagree on the good/bad of the NCAA mandate. I think it was justified. Posts like this by Dayton fan show the NCAA logic:

A real D-III school can not begin to compete/match these facilities. It was, and still is a very un-even playing field. D-I schools have NO business playing in D-III.

How many DIII national titles were won by schools that had, at the same time, DI basketball programs? For 21 years, from 1973 to 1993, only twice did a team with a DI basketball team win the DIII football title, and that was Dayton in 1980 and 1989. You'd think with all those supposed advantages that more than one school would win the title in more than two decades, and that they would do it more than twice. Heck, Augustana won 4 straight titles in the mid 80's when DI college basketball was booming. I know Dayton guys like to think they dominated in the DIII days but the results don't necessarily agree with that.

JMG1MON
April 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Very true Gannon. BTW, 2 years ago LaSalle was to play Monmouth at Monmouth. They had been outscored the previous 2 years by a combined 80 or so points and decided to back out of the game. I'm sure they replaced it with a D-3 school. They don't want to get throttled by FCS teams yet they do not want to spend the money to upgrade their program. Therefore, the result is embarassing yourself by losing to D-3 schools!!

BigApp
April 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM
If they can't otherwise fill the schedule, what then? A six game schedule?

Remember, this is a school with four league opponents.

if everyone has to play a minimum of 9 DI games, they shouldn't have a too much of a problem. You don't see teams in FBS with schedules like this.

by the last statement I am not implying preferences for or against FBS football, only stating they have schedule requirements to which their members must abide by.

DetroitFlyer
April 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I started following UD football in 1980, my freshman year at UD. At the time, we played in Division III. How did we do you ask?

1980 – Won the Division III National Championship!

How about during the rest of our time in Division III?

1981 – Lost the national championship game.

1984 – Lost in the first round of the playoffs.

1986 – Lost in the first round of the playoffs.

1987 – Lost the national championship game.

1988 – Lost in the first round of the playoffs.

1989 – Won the Division III National Championship!

1990 – Lost in the second round of the playoffs.

1991 – Lost the national championship game.

1992 – Lost in the first round of the playoffs.

So, to summarize from 1980 to 1992, (13 seasons), UD Football played in the National Championship game five times! We won twice. We participated in the playoffs a total of 10 times in 13 seasons!

Not exactly "dominating" but compared to our 13 seasons in FCS, it looks pretty darn good!

And I'll say it again, LaSalle's 2007 schedule is far better than ETSU, Xavier, Georgia State, shall I go on?

BigApp
April 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think you should elaborate. None of the examples you used play football at all.

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
So, to summarize from 1980 to 1992, (13 seasons), UD Football played in the National Championship game five times! We won twice. We participated in the playoffs a total of 10 times in 13 seasons!

Not exactly "dominating" but compared to our 13 seasons in FCS, it looks pretty darn good!

UD did alright, no doubt about it. But it still stands that they lost often to non-DI basketball schools, the ones who the NCAA was supposed to be protecting with this rule. They appeared to be doing pretty well. And after Dayton, who else had the great advantage of playing DI basketball while playing DIII football?? I just don't see where those schools are...

And I'll say it again, LaSalle's 2007 schedule is far better than ETSU, Xavier, Georgia State, shall I go on?

Actually living within a short drive of LaSalle, I can honestly say that I'd rather have quality over quantity. Even with no football teams, those schools aren't terribly far behind what LaSalle is putting out there. xcoffeex

aceinthehole
April 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
How many DIII national titles were won by schools that had, at the same time, DI basketball programs? For 21 years, from 1973 to 1993, only twice did a team with a DI basketball team win the DIII football title, and that was Dayton in 1980 and 1989. You'd think with all those supposed advantages that more than one school would win the title in more than two decades, and that they would do it more than twice. Heck, Augustana won 4 straight titles in the mid 80's when DI college basketball was booming. I know Dayton guys like to think they dominated in the DIII days but the results don't necessarily agree with that.

For the record, Wagner College won the DIII National Championship in 1987. So it was done just 3 times, by 2 different schools.

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
For the record, Wagner College won the DIII National Championship in 1987. So it was done just 3 times, by 2 different schools.

Wow, who knew. xeekx I didn't even know that Wagner played DI basketball. Were they DI at the time they won the DIII football championship?

DetroitFlyer
April 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that 1987 game was a heartbreaker for my Flyers.... I sure would like to see UD and Wagner play again in FCS. I do not think we have played them since that day in 1987. Maybe we never recovered, ( LOL )!

Fresno St. Alum
April 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Geneva is NAIA --or used to be I believe they are transitioning to NCAA D-II perhaps, anyway pretty pathetic schedule
Geneva is moving from the NAIA to D-III and joining the Presidents' Athletic Conf.

appfan2008
April 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I know it has already been said but... that is one bad schedule

rmutv
April 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
The difference in scheduling between the likes of LaSalle and Duquesne is astounding.

Same conference (this year, anyways) and a completely different mindset.

Duquesne's schedule for easy reference:
Sept. 1 BUCKNELL TBA
Sept. 8 Robert Morris 1:00
Sept. 15 at Brown TBA
Sept. 22 at Sacred Heart 1:00
Sept. 29 SAINT PETER'S* (HC) 1:00
Oct. 6 at Marist* TBA
Oct. 13 at Saint Francis, Pa. 1:00
Oct. 20 idle
Oct. 27 at Iona* 1:00
Nov. 3 idle
Nov. 10 LA SALLE* 1:00
Nov. 17 at Monmouth Noon

UAalum72
April 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Wow, who knew. xeekx I didn't even know that Wagner played DI basketball.
Why do you think Wagner is D-I in football, if not because of basketball? Or did you forget that Wagner is D-I football?

Were they DI at the time they won the DIII football championship?
Yes, Wagner has been D-I since 1976, when P J Carlesimo was their BB coach. The 1987 D-III final was an all-D-I championship game.

BearsCountry
April 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think you should elaborate. None of the examples you used play football at all.

If you are talking about ETSU and Xavier, yes they used to have teams.

Model Citizen
April 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think it would be difficult to name a school in existence more than 50 years that hasn't had a football team.

Go...gate
April 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
The difference in scheduling between the likes of LaSalle and Duquesne is astounding.

Same conference (this year, anyways) and a completely different mindset.

Duquesne's schedule for easy reference:
Sept. 1 BUCKNELL TBA
Sept. 8 Robert Morris 1:00
Sept. 15 at Brown TBA
Sept. 22 at Sacred Heart 1:00
Sept. 29 SAINT PETER'S* (HC) 1:00
Oct. 6 at Marist* TBA
Oct. 13 at Saint Francis, Pa. 1:00
Oct. 20 idle
Oct. 27 at Iona* 1:00
Nov. 3 idle
Nov. 10 LA SALLE* 1:00
Nov. 17 at Monmouth Noon

Great post. It really is a stark contrast.

downbythebeach
April 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I wanted to say that for the record.....Lasalle was never D-3......they were a start up program a few years ago. Just throwing that out there.

Oh and I wondered who would be up for starting a list of teams effected by the Dayton rule

anyone

Seawolf97
April 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Next year what will be left of their conference and their schedule?xsmhx

Go...gate
April 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Next year what will be left of their conference and their schedule?xsmhx

Very little of either, if anything. They are at a crossroads.

UAalum72
April 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I wanted to say that for the record.....Lasalle was never D-3......they were a start up program a few years ago. Just throwing that out there.

Oh and I wondered who would be up for starting a list of teams effected by the Dayton rule

anyone
The MAAC in 1993 was

Iona
Canisius
St. John's
Georgetown
St. Peter's
Siena

Current NEC teams affected are
St. Francis U of PA
Wagner
Central Connecticut (may have been D-II at the time)

Duquesne
Davidson

Pioneer League founding members
Butler University
University of Dayton
Drake University
Valparaiso University
University of San Diego
U of Evansville

anybody else?

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Oh and I wondered who would be up for starting a list of teams effected by the Dayton rule anyone

The 27 schools affected by the 1992 rule were the following, with initial I-AA status in parentheses and where they are today--I believe the former Western Football Conference all moved up in 1993 except for Portland State, which followed later, and Santa Clara, which dropped it altogether.

1. Alabama-Birmingham (Moved to I-A).
2. Butler (Pioneer)
3. Cal Poly-SLO (American West, later GWFC)
4. Cal St. Northridge (American West, later dropped football)
5. Cal St. Sacramento (American West, later Big Sky)
6. Canisius: (Was in MAAC, dropped football)
7. Central Conn. St. (I-AA indepdendent, later joined NEC)
8. Davidson (Pioneer)
9. Dayton (Pioneer)
10. Drake (Pioneer)
11. Duquesne (I-AA indepdendent, later joined MAAC, headed for NEC)
12. Evansville: (Was in Pioneer, dropped football)
13. Iona (MAAC)
14. Georgetown (Was in MAAC, now in Patriot)
15. Marist (I-AA indepdendent, later joined MAAC)
16. Monmouth (I-AA indepdendent, later joined NEC)
17. Robert Morris (I-AA indepdendent, later joined NEC)
18. San Diego (Pioneer)
19. Santa Clara (Dropped program rather than upgrade at all)
20. St. Francis (I-AA indepdendent, later joined NEC)
21. St. Mary's (I-AA independent, dropped just prior to joining GWFC)
22. St. John's (Was in MAAC, then NEC, back to MAAC and dropped football)
23. St. Peter's (MAAC)
24. Siena (Was in MAAC, dropped football)
25. Southern Utah (American West, later GWFC)
26. Valparaiso (Pioneer)
27. Wagner (NEC)

Seawolf97
April 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I just wonder what a weak schedule and a dim future does for the players?

rmutv
April 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
The 27 schools affected by the 1992 rule were the following, with initial I-AA status in parentheses and where they are today--I believe the former Western Football Conference all moved up in 1993 except for Portland State, which followed later, and Santa Clara, which dropped it altogether.

17. Robert Morris (I-AA indepdendent, later joined NEC)

And just to be clear, RMU started their program in 1993, so they came in after the ruling.

downbythebeach
April 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
That list is hot fire

Alabama-Birmingham really took off, I wonder if they still had D-3 recruited players on their team when they first went IA

Did not realize how many former D2s

BigApp
April 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
If you are talking about ETSU and Xavier, yes they used to have teams.

yes, and now they don't play at all. xeyebrowx

DFW HOYA
April 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM
And just to be clear, RMU started their program in 1993, so they came in after the ruling.

Thanks. I'll look up the 27th over the weekend.

UAalum72
April 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks. I'll look up the 27th over the weekend.
Monmouth also played football for the first time in 1993, so they were never anything other than I-AA. You can speculate that RMC and MU might have PREFERRED to play D-III, but they never had a choice.

The NEC did not sponsor football until 1996.

Libertine
April 20th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Charleston Southern was also affected by the 'Dayton Rule'. They started their program in '91 at the D3 level.

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Monmouth also played football for the first time in 1993, so they were never anything other than I-AA. You can speculate that RMC and MU might have PREFERRED to play D-III, but they never had a choice.

The NEC did not sponsor football until 1996.

Exactly UA72.

Of the current NEC teams:

Back in 1992, Albany, St. Francis PA, Sacred Heart, and Wagner all played D-III football.

RMU and Monmouth started teams post "Dayton-rule" as I-AA programs.

CCSU was classified as a D-II (since 1973) and reclassed to I-AA in 1993.

Also, former member Stony Brook and new member Duquesne were both classified as D-III teams back in 1992.

UAalum72
April 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Of the current NEC teams:

Back in 1992, Albany, St. Francis PA, Sacred Heart, and Wagner all played D-III football.

CCSU was classified as a D-II (since 1973) and reclassed to I-AA in 1993.

Also, former member Stony Brook and new member Duquesne were both classified as D-III teams back in 1992.
Albany, Stony Brook and Sacred Heart were D-III in all sports until the mid-nineties and became D-I in 1999. SFUPA, Duquesne and Wagner were D-I with D-III football.

Seahawks Fan
April 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Wow, who knew. xeekx I didn't even know that Wagner played DI basketball. Were they DI at the time they won the DIII football championship?

We won the Division III championship in 1987. We were Division I in basketball. Wagner is one of the five colleges that founded the National Invitation Tournament (along with Fordham, Manhattan, NYU and St. John's). Seton Hall hired our basketball coach. Fella by the name of P. J. Carlesimo.

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Albany, Stony Brook and Sacred Heart were D-III in all sports until the mid-nineties and became D-I in 1999. SFUPA, Duquesne and Wagner were D-I with D-III football.

Sacred Heart was D-II since it founded its sports (non-FB) program. They were never D-III.

CCSU, Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac, and Hartford have all grown from D-II athletic programs (although the older programs like CCSU, UHa, and QU do have a brief history in NAIA for hoops), but they were never in D-III. CCSU and SHU had the most succcess at the D-II level in hoops.