PDA

View Full Version : LFN FCS Stadium Map: Data Check

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM
To the entire FCS community: On my Lehigh Football Nation blog, at the bottom of the page I have a FCS stadium map where I you can see an arial view of your stadium if you click on the icon for your school.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

While looking at it today, I saw that the map data was updated for certain schools (Stony Brook, Dartmouth, New Hampshire) that allowed me to update it more and get better zooms of each stadium.

As a result of this, I'm currently taking a fresh look at my FCS Stadium Map in order to update the data and/or find any errors. I'd like to ask you to surf over to my blog and just check your school's data.

I am hoping very soon to make this a blogspot widget, so your input is very important!

Known issues: (Update as I go along)
* Need to add UCA, WSSU
* Need to remove WKU or make them FCS Independent
* Robert Morris location (new stadium under construction, no longer Moon Stadium) - FIXED
* Youngstown State Zoom Level - FIXED
* NDSU zoom level
* CAA Logo instead of A-10 - FIXED
* Missing Great West Logo
* Georgetown field location (Multi-Sport Field) - FIXED
* UNH field location - COMPLETE
* Larger team logos in sidebar - COMPLETE
* NAU, NoCo zoom levels & location
* UCD location

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Might just be my system, but the only logos I see are the ones around the Tennessee/Alabama type area. That's the area the blog page was at when I first got into it. Scrolling anywhere else on the map and I don't see any logos at all.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
GF, you bring up a good point. Also, let me know what browser you are using (Firefox 2.0, Mozilla 2.0, IE 6) will do.

I found the bug you're taking about: when you use the controls to scroll around, it doesn't redraw the map. This is now fixed.

UAalum72
April 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem with IE 6.0 - edit - working now.

Joe Walton Stadium of Robert Morris is at College Ave. at Orange Belt, Coraopolis, PA. Pictures on Yahoo! Maps, Mapquest, and maps.google still show it under construction. Your map shows the old Moon Stadium; the new one is about a mile north on Orange Belt/University Blvd.

MplsBison
April 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM
You can zoom a lot closer than that for the Fargodome.

appfan2008
April 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
hey lfn... it worked absolutely fine for me on internet explorer... and it really is an awesome map... great work

side note... showed how incredibly east coast oriented fcs football truly is... if you draw a straight line from houston to boston that is where all the teams seem to be located...

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
GF, you bring up a good point. Also, let me know what browser you are using (Firefox 2.0, Mozilla 2.0, IE 6) will do.

I found the bug you're taking about: when you use the controls to scroll around, it doesn't redraw the map. This is now fixed.

It was IE 6, but your fix looks like it worked for me. It does redraw now when I scroll. I like the feature - very nice. xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
LFN,

Using Firefox v2.0.0.3 when I clicked on the UNH icon, I got a picture of Memorial Field (Field Hockey, LAX) which is in front of the Whittemore Center. Cowell Stadium is on the other side of Main Street and the other side of the railroad tracks from Memorial Field. That would be to the left or the West depending on how you view things.

UAalum72
April 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Colonial AA members will want you to change that Atlantic-10 logo.

carney2
April 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Very clever, LCN, the way that you hid the Leopard icon behind your mythical bird and maneuvered it so that the only way that one can get an out of date view of Fisher Field (now Fisher Stadium) is to literally click on the point of one or the other Leopard ear. Click on any other part of the Leopard and one gets Goodman. Is this yet another example of dispassionate and unbiased journalism? If you people could play as well as you spin and connive, you wouldn't be looking up out of an ever deepening 3-0 hole.
xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2007, 12:29 PM
The image of the unnamed Multi-Sport Field at Georgetown is incorrect-it's actually pointing to Kehoe Field (aka "The Roof"). Aim to the southeast about 100 yards and you'll see what's taken Kehoe's place.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Very clever, LCN, the way that you hid the Leopard icon behind your mythical bird and maneuvered it so that the only way that one can get an out of date view of Fisher Field (now Fisher Stadium) is to literally click on the point of one or the other Leopard ear. Click on any other part of the Leopard and one gets Goodman. Is this yet another example of dispassionate and unbiased journalism? If you people could play as well as you spin and connive, you wouldn't be looking up out of an ever deepening 3-0 hole.
xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx xsmiley_wix :) xlolx xnodx

xlolx How come I haven't heard anything from Iona fans then? xsmiley_wix

For your pic, I'm limited by Google Maps there. When they get a more recent pic of the area, I'll get the renovated field.

ucdtim17
April 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Google has our new stadium as a dirt patch right now - hopefully that will be updated at some point

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=davis,+ca&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=38.538163,-121.762333&spn=0.004171,0.007274&t=k&om=1

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Looking at this again, I'm pretty amazed that most of the data is still up-to-date. Even the maps with new detail usually aren't that far off.

Someday soon I am planning to make this into a Blogger widget which will (hopefully) be shareable. But before I tackle that project (and kill my template for good) I want to make sure my data is still good. Mostly, it is.

bostonspider
April 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Clicking on Richmond brings you right to campus, but the current stadium is still about 4 miles to the south west, half way to down town Richmond...

rokamortis
April 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Brooks Stadium now has a seating capacity of 7,322.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Google has our new stadium as a dirt patch right now - hopefully that will be updated at some point

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=davis,+ca&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=38.538163,-121.762333&spn=0.004171,0.007274&t=k&om=1

If folks can give me Google maps to locations I'm missing like this, that is really really helpful. From this is super-easy to get the right coordinates I need.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
LFN,

I used the address for Lundholm Gym which is in front of Cowell Stadium. Does this help:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

GeauxColonels
April 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
GREAT JOB!!! Way cool! I always like things like this!!!

aggie6thman
April 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Cal Poly has a new stadium as well. Same place, they just redid the west side stands.

GeauxLions94
April 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Great job LFN! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Only correction for SLU's Strawberry Stadium is official capacity of 7,408.

Nice work xbowx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm awfully close to getting the data much more accurate. Most notably, I added Presby, UCA and WSSU to the map (with nice, zoomed-in stadiums) that I'm very proud of. (Especially Presby... I had to do a programmatic workaround to get logos for them! :) )

I think everything is done except:

1) Fixing some Cali locations (just touchups on location)
2) Fixing zoom levels on Texas stadiums
3) Richmond stadium location
4) Get a better logo for the "FCS Independents"
5) Bigger SoCon and Ivy Logos

Three questions.

1) Is UC-Davis christening their new field this fall, in the location pointed out to me, or are they playing at the old stadium?
2) Does someone have a location for Richmond's stadium?
3) Should I remove WKU, or should I consider them "FCS Indy"? I have put UCA in the Southland, WSSU in the MEAC and PC in the Big South. Are all these right?

Thanks again to everyone!

ucdtim17
April 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
1) Is UC-Davis christening their new field this fall, in the location pointed out to me, or are they playing at the old stadium?

We'll be in the new stadium - it's just about finished now

UAalum72
April 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Richmond Stadium on maps as University Stadium - McCloy St. at Maplewood Ave., Richmond VA

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks all!!! Both fixes will be in shortly.

Is WKU still considered FCS, then, would be my final question? Looking at their schedule they play 2 D-IIs, 6 FBS, and 4 FCS schools (including two on the road at Indiana State and Chattanooga!) The 12-game schedule implies they're FBS independent (and their last game is Thanksgiving weekend).

CCU2003
April 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
FYI- the stadium shot for Coastal is not Brooks stadium. It's Conway High schools facility. You need to follow HWY 501 about 6-7 miles SE until you get to College road and follow it west a few blocks and that's CCU's stadium. There is a BIG difference!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for catching this! I HATE making mistakes like that. I think the original problem was that Google Maps didn't have CCU specified in Conway, and I tried to hunt-and-peck the right stadium. Now as Google Maps has gotten much much better (and more accurate), it's easier to find the right places.

CCU2003
April 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
No problem! Great job by the way! xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
April 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Where's this map? I can't see it. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
My "blog facelift" is done, and the new SHAREABLE proto-map is on its way to getting completed.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Check back often to see when everyone is updated. Right now, it's only the Patriot and Ivy League. And, let me know if you like the new format! It looks downright professional now! :p