PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat injury plague

CrazyCat
April 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
MSU loses two QBs to injuries
By SCOTT MANSCH
Tribune Asst. Sports Editor

So much for all that quarterback depth in the Montana State football camp.
Veterans Cory Carpenter and Jack Rolovich, who were expected to wage a spirited battle for the Bobcat starting job this spring, have both been shelved by shoulder injuries.
"Two different freakish type of accidents," said MSU head coach Mike Kramer.
Both quarterbacks were hurt in non-contact situations. Last week, Carpenter threw an interception and, while the play was still live, reached out to "tag" the player returning the pick and separated his left shoulder.
Then Monday, Rolovich was flushed out of the pocket during a scrimmage during which tackling was not allowed and dove for the first down. Bingo, another separated left shoulder.
"They're both in slings and are out indefinitely," said an exasperated Kramer. "I'm telling you, how freakish can it be?"
So the Bobcats, who will be in Great Falls April 28 for their final full-scale scrimmage of spring drills, are down to one quarterback — redshirt freshman Jordan Rasmussen.
"There's an outside chance Cory could be back by the time we get to Great Falls," said Kramer. But it turns out there's another problem.
"Now he's got to recover from his strep throat," Kramer said.
And Rolovich?
"Jack most assuredly is out of the Great Falls scrimmage," Kramer said.
So Rasmussen, a 6-4, 222-pounder from Washington state, is the only healthy QB left on the Bobcat roster. Billings native Mark Desin came to Bozeman with vast quarterback experience from a glorious prep career at Senior High, but Kramer said the 5-10 former Bronc is playing well at receiver and will stay put.
Kramer said Rasmussen took every repetition with the varsity and backups on Tuesday.
"He's got good size and a quick release, plus he gets better on every rep," Kramer said. "He's really a smart person and I like his tenacity. He showed really good ability today."
The Bobcats, who are scheduled to scrimmage Saturday in Bozeman to wrap up the second week of spring drills, have been dealing with a lot of sickness the past 10 days or so.
"Flu, strep throat and bronchitis have really knocked our numbers down," Kramer said. "We're not really thin, because we have a lot of bodies ... But this deal at quarterback, man, that's a new one on me."

Peems
April 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
they'll both be fine though, but does this give Rasmussen a shot at starting next year?

CrazyCat
April 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Kramer has said all along that all positions are open but I would hope to save Rasmussen for 2008. But I remember a red head that got thrown into the fire and he turned out ok.

CatFan22
April 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I'm sure these two will be fine by season's start. And, yes, I think this gives Rasmussen a shot at starting. He's not going to get it handed to him but if he outperforms the others in the falls, sure.
And luckily our other players not in action is due to things like the flu and other viruses.

CopperCat
April 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Kramer has said all along that all positions are open but I would hope to save Rasmussen for 2008. But I remember a red head that got thrown into the fire and he turned out ok.

Consider Rasmussen thrown into the fire. What a crappy deal though that both 1st and 2nd string guys are injured. But Rasmussen has his shot, I hope he uses it to his advantage (I think he will).

I'm tellin' ya, its the second coming.

Peems
April 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Consider Rasmussen thrown into the fire. What a crappy deal though that both 1st and 2nd string guys are injured. But Rasmussen has his shot, I hope he uses it to his advantage (I think he will).

I'm tellin' ya, its the second coming.

Two years removed seems pretty earlier for the "second coming"xeyebrowxxsmiley_wix

CrazyCat
April 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I am far from being a doctor but it sounds like the kind of injuries that should be fully healed by Fall? I hope.

CopperCat
April 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I am far from being a doctor but it sounds like the kind of injuries that should be fully healed by Fall? I hope.

Seperated shoulder happen quite often (I think that is what Papich had last season too, and he came back). I think Carp and Rolo will both be fine relatively soon, granted they don't trip and fall on their shoulder again while they are walking down the sidewalk or some ridiculous thing of that nature.xrolleyesx

GOKATS
April 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM
It's unfortunate to lose both Carpenter and Rolovich in spring ball, but hopefully they'll both be back in action come fall ball. In the meantime it's a great opportunity for Rasmussen to work his way into the system and gain invaluable experience- I honestly think he has a great future ahead with the Bobcats.

CrazyCat
April 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
It's unfortunate to lose both Carpenter and Rolovich in spring ball, but hopefully they'll both be back in action come fall ball. In the meantime it's a great opportunity for Rasmussen to work his way into the system and gain invaluable experience- I honestly think he has a great future ahead with the Bobcats.

very good point. The more reps and experience he gets will benefit the whole team.

Keeper
April 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Q: Were either of the injuries to their throwing shoulder ??

Walkon79
April 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Left shoulder in both cases. Carp may play next week in the Spring game.

saccat
April 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Nope

catbob
April 19th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Nope, they both decided to dislocate their left shoulders withing a week of each other.

And I disagree about this benefiting the whole team. It will help down the road, but having our #1 and #2 QBs going into this season out of spring ball is not what I'd call a good thing. Especially since we have so many new receivers, that switching back and forth between QBs isn't going to help team chemistry.

GOKATS
April 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Nope, they both decided to dislocate their left shoulders withing a week of each other.

And I disagree about this benefiting the whole team. It will help down the road, but having our #1 and #2 QBs going into this season out of spring ball is not what I'd call a good thing. Especially since we have so many new receivers, that switching back and forth between QBs isn't going to help team chemistry.

I don't recall a single post saying the QB situation is benefiting the whole team. It's an unfortunate situation, but what I see folks saying is that since things are the way they are it's a great opportunity for Rasmussen to gain some invaluable experience.

I'm a 'the glass is half full type'- the sky is not falling, the Cats will be fine.

BTW, Kramer, discussing the QB situation on the late news last night, said he hopes to have both Seniors (Carpernter and Rolovich) back next week- could be that the injuries weren't as bad as initially thought.

CrazyCat
April 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Rasmussen Gets Busy

MSU Bobcats Bobcat Football News : 2007-04-18 : Bozeman, MT
By Bill Lamberty
The future of the quarterback position arrived at MSU earlier than expected this week

Because of a pair of gimpy shoulders, Montana State freshman quarterback Jordan Rasmussen will shoulder more of the burden that anyone could have foreseen in Bobcat camp this spring.

"Jordan's it," MSU offensive coordinator Don Bailey said of his team's one remaining healthy signal caller. That development occurred Monday, when starter Jack Rolovich injured his left (non-throwing) shoulder diving for a first down. Last week, Cory Carpenter injured the same shoulder attempting a tackle after throwing an interception.

"It's a negative because you want your best players on the field," said Bailey, in his seventh spring coordinating the Bobcat offense. "But it's good for the young guy to get all the reps. He'll get to see it all, the different fronts and the blitz packages. This will be a great learning experience for him."

Rasmussen's education began at Tuesday's practice, a session Bailey called productive. "He did well," Bailey said. "He did a good job managing the offensive, checking in and out of plays. He needs to improve his accuracy and there are a few mechanical deals he's working on, but that stuff comes in time. For the most part he did pretty well."

Bailey said the most important point of emphasis as Rasmussen moves forward this spring, other than avoiding turnovers, is to "make the easy throws. I can live with (a mistake) in complicated situations, but where the expectation is that it's an easy throw he has to make the play."

The physical element tends to lage behind the mental with young quarterbacks, Bailey said. "It's all attached. Confidence is a big deal, too. When you can step up there and not be thinking in terms of kinda, sorta, but have confidence in where you're going, that's a big step. Mentally, Jordan is beginning to grasp it."

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=1997

CopperCat
April 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I wonder if Bailey and Kramer have ever considered a dual QB system, kinda like what Florida had going on. That worked for them really well. Maybe Rasmussen could back one of the two up. Just a thought. It would certainly create some defensive confusion if they did it right.

CrazyCat
April 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Freshman quarterback gets his chance to run Bobcats’ offense after injuries to two seniors
By TIM DUMAS Chronicle Sports Writer

He’s all they have left. Yet Jordan Rasmussen isn’t considered to be a last resort.
He isn’t expected to become the next Travis Lulay, either.
Not now anyway.
Thrust into the starter’s role after Montana State’s top two quarterbacks went down with shoulder injuries five days apart, Rasmussen is taking in all he can handle.
No giant steps; this is a freshman we’re talking about.
“It’s unfortunate for the two guys ahead of me, but I’m just taking advantage of the opportunity I’ve been given,” Rasmussen said after Thursday’s practice that took place inside Brick Breeden Fieldhouse. “I’m just learning as much as I can.”
The coaching staff is taking the same approach: one step at a time.
“We’re trying to determine whether or not we think he can play in a game,” offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Don Bailey said. “We want him to have confidence, so if we do have to put him in a game, is he going to perform well? We just don’t want to throw him in there without being prepared.”
Rasmussen has been taking all the snaps since starter Jack Rolovich dislocated his left, nonthrowing shoulder diving for a first down during Monday’s practice. Backup Cory Carpenter suffered a dislocation to the same shoulder last Thursday while attempting to make a tackle after throwing an interception.
With the pair possibly out for the remainder of spring drills, Rasmussen is getting the opportunity he has longed for since arriving at MSU via Curtis High School in University Place, Wash.
It’s just not how he planned it.
“You never want to hope for injuries, but I’ll take it any way I can get it,” said the 6-foot-4, 222-pounder. “I’m having a lot of fun with it. I’m working with the number ones (starters). I came to Montana State to be good, and working with the number ones is just helping me get better. It’s an experience every day.”
His biggest challenge, he says, is simply to not do too much.
“Just being relaxed and calm on the field,” he said. “I’m a pretty good leader; I just have to earn these guys’ trust.”
Rasmussen was a first-team all-conference quarterback as a senior at Curtis High, throwing for over 1,600 yards and leading his team to an 8-3 record. But he also knows what Rolovich and Carpenter are going through.
As a junior, Rasmussen broke his ankle in the second quarter of the season opener. Three games — and three losses — later, he was back on the field, eventually taking a team that stumbled to a 1-3 start into the playoffs.
“I sat on the sidelines and couldn’t really take it any more because the team was losing and our morale was down,” he recalled. “So I just taped it up and got a little acupuncture on it and played on it. I just couldn’t stay on the sidelines.”
If the time comes next fall that Rasmussen is asked to lead the team, the Bobcats want to make sure he’s ready for the challenge. It’s one thing to produce in practice. It’s entirely another to do it in front of 14,000 fans.
Recalling last season’s case of Aaron Mason — who, as a true freshman, became the starting tailback in Week 5 and went on to set a school rushing record for first-year players — Bailey said it was no accident that Mason did not start until nearly midseason.
“He could have started the second or third game of the year, and we thought he was talented enough to do that, but he wasn’t ready enough mentally,” Bailey said. “If they don’t have success, then their confidence is wrecked and now you’re trying to re-buffer their confidence for the next three months, rather than, ‘hey, what’s the next step?’”
So far, the coaching staff says Rasmussen has performed well since rising to the top of the depth chart. But he hasn’t scrimmaged for a prolonged period with and against the starters.
That opportunity could come as early as today, when MSU is scheduled to conduct its second scrimmage of the spring. The one good look coaches have had of Rasmussen came during Tuesday’s practice, his first as the No. 1 QB.
Wednesday’s drills were canceled due to wet field conditions and Thursday’s in the fieldhouse was concentrated mostly on special teams.
“He’s doing a real nice job of foreseeing where we want to go with the ball, but he’s got to be a lot more accurate,” head coach Mike Kramer said. “We want his accuracy to improve and his accuracy will improve with his footwork. As soon as his footwork catches up to his brain, then he’ll be fine.”
For now, Rasmussen is trying to close the gap. This sudden apprenticeship is no doubt helping.
“It’s going to be a big advantage going into the fall knowing the offense that much better,” he said. “It’s all I could ask for.”

CopperCat
April 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
This is funny. I walked into the local Taco Bell tonite, and I turn around to fill up my soda and who is standing there but Jack Rolovich (and some other guy, didn't know who it was but he was HUGE). I was looking right at the local newspaper article on Rasmussen next to the cash register right before I turned around and the only thing I could think to say was "You gonna be throwing soon?" His reply: "Not soon enough."

Local news showed some pretty solid throws from Rasmussen, and an even better 50+ yard run from Groves. That doesn't tell the whole tale obviously, but it was good to see the offense getting some legs under it.