PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls State Begins Field Improvements

GeauxColonels
April 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Apparently, Nicholls State has started preparing the grounds in John L. Guidry Stadium for the installation of field turf. While there was no press release about the start of construction, there was a picture. Posted below.

In the coming weeks and months, I'll try to keep people updated by posting on here as much as I can.

http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%201.JPG

GeauxColonels
April 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Just posted tonight on ColonelSports.com: CONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY ON NEW FIELD TURF IN JOHN L. GUIDRY STADIUM (http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/New%20Turf%201.htm)

The article states that the field will be ready in time for the start of the Manning Passing Academy on July 12, 2007.
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx
xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
looks good geaux, if you could get your basketball team turned around.

appfan2008
April 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
looks great... cant wait to see some pictures of the finished product!

McNeese75
April 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Should be a great addition for the facilities xthumbsupx

813Jag
April 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Looks greatxthumbsupx . I'm so jealous of all of these projects starting and being completed:o I hope we'll be starting ours soonxprayx

MplsBison
April 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
That's going to be HOT in the summer.

Worth the reduced maintenance and improved field conditions, though.

slycat
April 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
awesome to see another slc school putting in turf.

Za-KEE-uS
April 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
awesome to see another slc school putting in turf.
Almost every team will have it for the 07 season.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
congrats.

GeauxColonels
April 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
looks good geaux, if you could get your basketball team turned around.
The basketball team actually wasn't horrible this year. They were pretty close to making it into the conference tournament....much better than recent years. It's really the pre-conference schedule that KILLS us.

Za-KEE-uS
April 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
The basketball team actually wasn't horrible this year. They were pretty close to making it into the conference tournament....much better than recent years. It's really the pre-conference schedule that KILLS us.
And the fact that they only had 7 healthy players for the majority of the end of the season

89Hen
April 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
You talking about 3007? :p I hope UD never gets it.

McNeese75
April 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
:D Cowboys will still be playing in the dirtxnodx (I just hope the get it in better condition than it was for the spring game xsmhx )

Za-KEE-uS
April 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM
xlolx I meant every team in the SLC, McNeese will prolly get it soon

MplsBison
April 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM

If the New England Patriots couldn't do it, UD can't do it.

Same climate.

hawkeye
April 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Looking good Colonels! UT Martin scheduled for turf next year.

89Hen
April 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Same climate.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/9/90/375px-LawnGrassMap.jpg

Not quite. Gillette also has

5/6/2007 NE Revolution vs. Chicago Fire
5/6/2007 Sport Management & Entertainment Career Fair
5/20/2007 New England Celebrates Israel
5/26/2007 NE Revolution vs. Kansas City Wizards
6/2/2007 NE Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake
6/16/2007 NE Revolution vs. Columbus Crew
6/23/2007 NE Revolution vs. Toronto FC
7/7/2007 NE Revolution vs. CD Chivas USA
7/22/2007 NE Revolution vs. Houston Dynamo
7/28/2007 4th Annual New England Country Music Festival
8/2/2007 NE Revolution vs. Kansas City Wizards
8/5/2007 NE Revolution vs. D.C. United
8/12/2007 NE Revolution vs. Los Angeles Galaxy
8/17/2007 NE Patriots vs. Tennessee Titans
8/25/2007 NE Revolution vs. New York Red Bulls
8/30/2007 NE Patriots vs. New York Giants
9/2/2007 Jimmy Buffett
9/8/2007 Jimmy Buffett
9/15/2007 NE Revolution vs. FC Dallas
9/16/2007 NE Patriots vs. San Diego Chargers
9/23/2007 NE Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills
9/29/2007 NE Revolution vs. Colorado Rapids
10/7/2007 NE Patriots vs. Cleveland Browns
10/13/2007 NE Revolution vs. Columbus Crew
10/28/2007 NE Patriots vs. Washington Redskins
11/25/2007 NE Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles
12/9/2007 NE Patriots vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
12/16/2007 NE Patriots vs. New York Jets
12/23/2007 NE Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins
5/24/2008 2008 NCAA Lacrosse Championship
5/25/2008 2008 NCAA Lacrosse Championship
5/26/2008 2008 NCAA Lacrosse Championship

The Tub has 7 home games, 2 high school games and 1 graduation

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Same climate.

Yeah, what 89 just said!! xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
The Tub has 7 home games, 2 high school games and 1 graduation

So you should short change the 2 high school games and last 3-4 UD home games with a crappy grass surface?

Za-KEE-uS
April 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
day 2 :D
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%203.JPG

GeauxColonels
April 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%203.JPG
Beat me to it. They caption on ColonelSports.com said that the pic was taken around noon today. Good to see it coming along so quickly!!!

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

exbearkat
April 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, SH will have new spin turf installed at Bower's Stadium this Summer - an improvement that is looooong overdue. xnodx

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Can't wait for a 2008 (if not sooner) visit to Thibodaux to check out the field and all the football environment you folks got there...

Keep giving us updates on the program there!

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
So you should short change the 2 high school games and last 3-4 UD home games with a crappy grass surface?

Nah, the high school games are in the Spring around the same time as graduation. The field holds up fantastically for the home games - figure 6 or 7 reg season games, 3 playoff games max. Finally have a great grass surface - the thing looks great even in November/December. xthumbsupx

89Hen
April 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Have you ever been to Newark? xeyebrowx

89Hen
April 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Amazing what you can do in two days with the right equipment. xnodx

GannonFan
April 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Have you ever been to Newark? xeyebrowx

Nah, first-hand accounts of the field itself would fly in the face of the argument - don't want to get burdened with that!
xrolleyesx

andy7171
April 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Have you ever seen Delaware's field? How can you just assume its a crappy field just because its grass? xeyebrowx

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM
How can you just assume its a crappy field just because its grass?

Because grass sucks when it's actually used.

When it just sits there with no use and gets watered ever day, yeah it looks good.

Stick some cleats into it and you have Chattanooga 2004.

GannonFan
April 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM

When it just sits there with no use and gets watered ever day, yeah it looks good.

Really. Imagine that, all these grass surfaces all around the country, being used for football, and the only time we saw what we saw in Chattanooga 2004 was .... wait for it (stole that from Barney)... Chattanooga 2004. If that's you're only example then you might as well concede defeat now. That field was used extensively before that game, but UT-Chatt as well as various high schools, and had poor maintenance. You gotta come up with a better retort than that. xcoffeex

andy7171
April 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Good lord!
Only if it rains hard for a week does a field get ripped up. 6 home games in the fall doesn't rip up a field! If you've never seen the field or been to the mid-atlantic during the late summer/early fall, how can you possibly make a statement like that?

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm officially anti grass, no matter the climate.

It makes no sense for FCS schools. Can't afford it.

appfan2008
April 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM

some harsh words... I think grass is still a viable option in certain climates... not all but some!

GannonFan
April 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Really, southern California shouldn't go with grass. I'll get the Rose Bowl on the phone and let them know.

As for the cost, I've never seen a full cost estimate that shows anything other than there isn't much difference in cost between the natural stuff and the fake stuff - obviously there is more upkeep for the natural stuff and there is more upfront cost for the fake stuff. If you are privy to different information then by all means, let's see it. You don't get any argument from me if the field in question is going to be used frequently, especially if you need to practice on it all week as well. Nor would I argue for the more northern climes (say New York and up) - but after that, natural grass works just fine and holds up very well. xthumbsupx

Za-KEE-uS
April 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Saying they cant afford it is not the best argument, if a school doesnt have the money for grass they prolly cant afford turf, and its alot cheaper to just have crappy weedy grass

turfdoc
April 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM

My condolences to those players who have to play on these “wonderful upgrades” to artificial infill systems. Anyone who does not believe that these will prove to be just as bad as the old Astroturf is in for a surprise. Not to mention the heat these things generate.

As far as cost savings the actual cost of maintenance is a wash if you maintain your infill properly (or invest the upfront cost of a infill system for maintenance of grass over time). The main difference is in the increased usage of artificial fields (maintenance is the same / revenue for the artificial is higher). You can pile twice as many events into a smaller space and reduce the amount of green space on our campuses and within our city. less than optimal grass fields are usually the result of overuse or poor maintenance (not because of cost but because of a lack of training).

Here is a link to the NFLPA field surface survey, rating the field surfaces accross the NFL. Pay close attention to the first 3 questions and remember the questions are asking about the NEW turf infill systems not the old Astroturf. If we listened to the guys who depend on their bodies for their livelihood and plastic would be gone. Instead we listen to the scheduling pocketbook.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/NewsAndEvents/turf%20survey.pdf

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
if a school doesnt have the money for grass they prolly cant afford turf

Turf is a one time investment.

Over the long haul, maintaining grass to the level of turf is expensive.

Realistically, you can't ever maintain grass to such a high level.

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 06:32 PM
If we listened to the guys who depend on their bodies for their livelihood and plastic would be gone.

Ah yes, the very credible NFLPA. The same guys who would rather wear the old fashion style helmets that are more dangerous.

No thanks, I think I'll listen to people who know what they're talking about.

Maybe we should survey the NFLPA about the mission to Mars too. Probably good input.

Za-KEE-uS
April 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Turf is a one time investment.

Over the long haul, maintaining grass to the level of turf is expensive.

Realistically, you can't ever maintain grass to such a high level.

I left one important thing out lol, location, I'm sure it costs less here in Louisiana to keep grass up, but prolly a bit more in Wisconsin. Turf doesn't last forever, I think it costs between a few hundred thousand to over a million. Most sites say it lasts 10 years with heavy use. I guess it depends on how much it cost to keep grass for about 10 years?

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 07:23 PM
But when you say "keeping the grass up", what level is that?

Obviously you can spend any amount of money you want to bring the grass up to any arbitrary level.

The level that most teams try to maintain their grass is no where near the level of turf.

Za-KEE-uS
April 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%204.JPG
Another pic for anyone interested in the process

appfan2008
April 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
obviously this thread has turned into a debate on turf v. grass

but glad to see the real purpose of it being brought back... glad to see the progress that is being made!

GeauxColonels
April 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
So far, the school has posted 4 pictures of the process...but sadly, they don't have a gallery of the pictures. But after some searching, I found the 2nd picture they posted which hasn't been shown on here:
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%202.JPG

aggie6thman
April 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Looks good Geaux! Should be really nice when it is all done!

89Hen
April 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
The level that most teams try to maintain their grass is no where near the level of turf.
xeyebrowx What kind of arguement is that against schools who DO maintain their grass to a high level? xconfusedx xcoolx

turfdoc
April 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
No thanks, I think I'll listen to people who know what they're talking about.

Well the consensus of the experts, those with PhD's in turfgrass and sports surface technology, is that the new artcificial stuff is better than the old, but not to the standards of real turfgrass maintained properly.

Now the artificial stuff is more profitable only because you can pack more events on it, but it does require similar maintenance costs throughout the life of the field (including initial purchase costs).

TColonel
April 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM
So far, the school has posted 4 pictures of the process...but sadly, they don't have a gallery of the pictures. But after some searching, I found the 2nd picture they posted which hasn't been shown on here:
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%202.JPG

The photographer at Nicholls had every intention on setting up a gallery where he was going to mount a camera on top of the press box and take numerous pictures weekly, but he was not given the exact start date so things are a bit behind.

Once he does start taking pictures, they will likely be placed here: http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?domain_name=Nicholls

BigApp
April 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
looks hot there already!

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM
What kind of argument is that against schools who DO maintain their grass to a high level?

As soon as the first divot is carved out by a cleat, the field is no longer at the level of turf.

So unless your healing up the surface before each new play, it's impossible to say that.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Well the consensus of the experts, those with PhD's in turfgrass and sports surface technology, is that the new artcificial stuff is better than the old, but not to the standards of real turfgrass maintained properly.

Obviously then, "maintained properly" is some absurd utopian level that not even BCS and NFL teams can achieve.

but it does require similar maintenance costs throughout the life of the field

No it doesn't, not even close.

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Now the artificial stuff is more profitable only because you can pack more events on it, but it does require similar maintenance costs throughout the life of the field (including initial purchase costs).

Shhh, don't throw facts out like this - it only gets in the way of his anti-grass crusade. :p

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Obviously then, "maintained properly" is some absurd utopian level that not even BCS and NFL teams can achieve.

No it doesn't, not even close.

I've yet to see one study that shows that there is any cost difference between a grass and an artificial turf field - over the long term, and that includes purchase price and maintenance, they are relatively the same (artificial fields don't last forever). If you have something that shows otherwise, feel free to share. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I've yet to see any "studies" on the topic period.

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Here's just one article - I'm sure if you look you'll see more. Heck, there's even a lot out now that say that artificial surfaces contribute more to global warming their reflection of heat.

Anyway you cut it (no pun intended) the costs are pretty similar, and artificial fields make sense if you plan on using it heavily for a lot of activities - practices, other sports, other events, etc. If you don't plan on using it a lot, then grass is the cheaper way to go. Oh, and the dollar figures in the article attached here don't even take into account the time value of money, i.e. a dollar is worth more today than a year from now - that skews it even more to grass.

http://www.sandfordgroup.com/editoriallibrary1/athletics_library/turfwars.html

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
there's even a lot out now that say that artificial surfaces contribute more to global warming their reflection of heat.

The more something reflects heat back out into space, the less the Earth warms.

http://www.sandfordgroup.com/editoriallibrary1/athletics_library/turfwars.html

Written in 97. Strike one.

Clearly talking about astroturf and other old style carpet turfs. The picture obviously shows astroturf. Strike two.

What does the "Sanford Group" even do? I can't tell from their crappy website. Something with publishing? Strike three.

You're out.

andy7171
April 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
While mpls "Crusade Against Real Grass", CARG is absurdly silly, he is fully committed.

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
The more something reflects heat back out into space, the less the Earth warms.

Written in 97. Strike one.

Clearly talking about astroturf and other old style carpet turfs. The picture obviously shows astroturf. Strike two.

What does the "Sanford Group" even do? I can't tell from their crappy website. Something with publishing? Strike three.

You're out.

So you're evidence is what exactly? Hard to strike out when you don't even show up to the park. We're all waiting. xcoffeex Oh, and tell me again how the costs are different for FieldTurf or Sprintturf or any of the other ones out today since they were in existence even back then. And yes, apparently the Sanford Group is a publishing company that publishes a magazine for sourcing of sports equipment - do you think that's not appropriate then?

Here's an article from this year talking about the heat generation from artificial surfaces...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/03/25/turf_wars_heat_up_grass_vs_synthetic/

It's from the Boston Globe, though, so again, just another publication. xrolleyesx

Here's an article from this year that is just from a local paper (not my own) but they talk about the costs of turf versus grass and it's eerily similar to the costs that you pooh poohed (actually, not sure if you even bothered to notice since facts are troublesome that way when you're on a blind crusade) in the earlier article.

http://www.townonline.com/wellesley/schools/x1247243031

And if blogs are your thing here's a guy taking issue with the proposed isntall of a Field Turf field in a park in Washington state, along with various responses and retorts.

http://makingtrouble.blogspot.com/2005/11/money-to-burn.html

Again, anytime you're interested in entering the debate, by all means, feel free to do so. Saying "nany nany boo hoo", btw, does not constitute an actual debate. xlolx

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Here's an article from this year talking about the heat generation from artificial surfaces...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/03/25/turf_wars_heat_up_grass_vs_synthetic/

That's fine.

Nowhere in there does it mention that artificial turf reflects more heat, which is what you said.

Here's an article from this year that is just from a local paper

http://www.townonline.com/wellesley/schools/x1247243031

In total, Fleischer said, installing and maintaining a natural grass cap at Sprague would cost the town $1.114 million over 15 years, while installing artificial turf would cost the town $836,000.

Indeed, what an incentive to install and maintain natural grass over turf!

And if blogs are your thing

No, not really.

I tend not to trust sources that would have nothing to lose from posting false information.

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM
That's fine.

Nowhere in there does it mention that artificial turf reflects more heat, which is what you said.

So you're simply arguing semantics now? Brilliant.

Indeed, what an incentive to install and maintain natural grass over turf!

Whoo Hoo - proof that you don't actually read what you're arguing about. Yes, the quote you pulled out reads like this:

In total, Fleischer said, installing and maintaining a natural grass cap at Sprague would cost the down $1.114 million over 15 years, while installing artificial turf would cost the town $836,000.

And while that's a nice and tidy quote that would seem to bolster your argument, you apparently skipped right over the paragraph before it that explained this:

According to Fleischer, it would cost $1.85 million to install the artificial turf at Sprague, versus $750,000 to install a natural grass cap. However, he said that field user groups, including all athletic groups that play on Sprague, would contribute $746,000 if the town decided to install field turf to help offset the extra cost. He also estimated that the Community Preservation Committee would donate $650,000 to help cover the installation costs of either the natural or artificial turf, though he said he didn’t yet have confirmation that the CPC was going to donate any money. Fleischer also said that annual maintenance costs for FieldTurf would be roughly one-tenth the costs of maintaining a natural grass field.

And in case you are still having problems with that wording, the key thing is that the cost of install for an artificial field is $1.85M versus $750k for the grass field - the reason it's cheaper for the town to go with the artificial field, in the quote you carelessly parsed from the article, is because they aren't going to pick up the whole tab themselves. And again, these costs are pretty similar to the costs in the earlier article that you dismissed because of it's publised date and because it refuted your argument.

Again, unless you think you have something to prove otherwise, it would appear that grass is cheaper to install and maintain over the life as compared to artificial stuff, unless you are in the extreme North of the country or if you plan on using the surface for everything from practices to games to other events. Still waiting for something other than unsourced opinion on your end. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

andy7171
April 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
How often do you have to replace the turf? I've heard NDSU fans say they get the used stuff from the metrodome in Minn. I don't think turf lasts 15 years, does it?

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
So you're simply arguing semantics now?

It would've been semantics if you had said something like "artificial surfaces absorb more heat".

Reflecting heat is a real physics concept that you misused.

the reason it's cheaper for the town to go with the artificial field is because they aren't going to pick up the whole tab themselves

That's because private groups are expressing desire for turf rather than grass.

I don't possible see how you can hold that against turf.

it would appear that grass is cheaper to install and maintain over the life as compared to artificial stuff

It entirely depends on the level to which you are going to maintain the grass surface.

If you attempted to maintain grass to a level close to what turf offers, you'd be spending millions.

Otherwise, the grass is simply not as good of a surface as turf, which is the whole point.

Za-KEE-uS
April 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
How often do you have to replace the turf? I've heard NDSU fans say they get the used stuff from the metrodome in Minn. I don't think turf lasts 15 years, does it?
That would bring up the question of how much does weather effect the "life" of turf. Isn't that astroturf, since players just wear shoes on that it'll last a lot longer than any onter turf

patssle
April 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
The new turf that SHSU is getting should last 10-15 years

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
It would've been semantics if you had said something like "artificial surfaces absorb more heat".

Reflecting heat is a real physics concept that you misused.

And at the end of the day the air over the fields is hotter than on grass which is a real concept you ignore when you focus on the minutae.

That's because private groups are expressing desire for turf rather than grass.

I don't possible see how you can hold that against turf.

And again you just miss the point entirely, which is the actual cost of installation and maintance of the two surfaces over time, in which grass is cheaper, and in this example substantially cheaper. The point about private groups wanting turf rather than grass plays into the point that everyone agrees with, that being if you are going to use the field everyday, then turf is the way to go and not grass.

It entirely depends on the level to which you are going to maintain the grass surface.

If you attempted to maintain grass to a level close to what turf offers, you'd be spending millions.

Otherwise, the grass is simply not as good of a surface as turf, which is the whole point.

Again, opinion and conjecture with no backup - why does it cost millions when everything we've seen in print says otherwise? If you're holding back the info, please share it. However, it just sounds like baseless opinion.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
in which grass is cheaper, and in this example substantially cheaper

Turf is cheaper when you factor in the desire everyone has to have turf rather than grass.

Private donations to help with installation costs should be expected.

Not so with ho hum grass.

why does it cost millions when everything we've seen in print says otherwise?

Nothing we've seen in print specifies the level of maintenance to be performed.

It simply says there will be maintenance.

turfdoc
April 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Now I will say upfront that this publication is put out by a sod organization defending natural turf, but the reference list is significant and does include many articles by the so called "experts".

http://www.turfgrasssod.org/webarticles/articlefiles/227-ArtificialTurfBooklet.pdf

And here is an another great ongoing study on these technologies. I would note that the study cited showing fewer injuries on the synthetic turf did have some serious flaws but hey most studies do. I am waiting for the numbers on plantar fasciitius and tendon injuries on the new stuff.

http://cropsoil.psu.edu/mcnitt/Infill.cfm

Just providing some information.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The department of Crop and Soil Sciences at Penn State, a land grant university, definitely has nothing to gain by producing a study confirming the superiority of natural grass!

Come on man...

GeauxColonels
April 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
looks hot there already!
Nah, it's only been in the low 80s the last few weeks.

GeauxColonels
April 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
And at the end of the day the air over the fields is hotter than on grass which is a real concept you ignore when you focus on the minutae.
You're kidding, right? You're saying that the 5 feet of air right above an artificial playing surface roughly 70,000sqft (hope my math is right on this) is a contributor to "global warming"??? Nevermind the fact that the air will cool pretty quickly once the sum goes down or as the air rises.

Isn't "global warming" based on the concept of "greenhouse gases"? If so, how does an artificial surface contribute to that?! xtwocentsx

Anyway....back to the improvements to the field.

turfdoc
April 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
The department of Crop and Soil Sciences at Penn State, a land grant university, definitely has nothing to gain by producing a study confirming the superiority of natural grass!

So if a professor who has devoted his life to the study of sports surface technology and has overseen the installation of multiple synthetic and natural turf systems in NFL, MLB, NCAA and FIFA stadiums is not an expert..... Who is? Actually his research is al about how to best maintain infill systems and is sponsored primarily by the Synthetic turf manufacturers. If anything he benefits more from positive results. You won't listen to eperts just dismiss them.

Come on man...

Enjoy the pics I hope they put a decent drainage systems in at Nichols State... biggest mistake most of these systems have is a lak of drainage.

GannonFan
April 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
You're kidding, right? You're saying that the 5 feet of air right above an artificial playing surface roughly 70,000sqft (hope my math is right on this) is a contributor to "global warming"??? Nevermind the fact that the air will cool pretty quickly once the sum goes down or as the air rises.

Isn't "global warming" based on the concept of "greenhouse gases"? If so, how does an artificial surface contribute to that?! xtwocentsx

Anyway....back to the improvements to the field.

Actually, there is warming that is due to artificial surfaces like asphalt, concrete, etc - that's part of the reason why the temperatures are always warmer inside cities than just outside of them. It's not really my position or concern, but if we paved the entire world it would be hotter - not that we're about to do that, just saying. :)

GeauxColonels
April 25th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Enjoy the pics I hope they put a decent drainage systems in at Nichols State... biggest mistake most of these systems have is a lak of drainage.
Since AstroTurf is donating the surface...I'm assuming that they will make sure it is installed properly with sufficient drainage. ESPECIALLY with the ridiculous amount of rain we get down in Thibodaux during the beginning of the season.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Who is?

I'm not saying he's not an expert.

His funding is biased.

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Turf is cheaper when you factor in the desire everyone has to have turf rather than grass.
xconfusedx Mercedes are cheaper when you factor in the desire everyone has to have a Mercedes rather than Hondas.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
My point was that the announcement that turf was going to be installed brought in donations because people wanted to have turf instead of grass.

People will pay for what they want.

GannonFan
April 25th, 2007, 10:15 AM
My point was that the announcement that turf was going to be installed brought in donations because people wanted to have turf instead of grass.

People wanted use of a field in that case, which was going to make it a highly used field - there was never any indication that people were making a judgement on the quality of grass versus the quality of artificial turf - where do you come up with this stuff??? xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Correction, people will pay for what they think they need. Any salesman worth his salt can make people think they need something when in fact they don't. xnodx

GannonFan
April 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Correction, people will pay for what they think they need. Any salesman worth his salt can make people think they need something when in fact they don't. xnodx

You sell mortgages, don't you????? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM
there was never any indication that people were making a judgment on the quality of grass versus the quality of artificial turf

Of course they were, that's the point.

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM
You sell mortgages, don't you????? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx
Nah, they sell themselves. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
April 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Of course they were, that's the point.

Take the blinders off already - the point that was being made was that a multi-use field with turf will almost always do better than a grass one - no one has ever disputed that point and that's what the private donations were - they were from groups that wanted to use the fields and by using them they would become heavily used and multi-purpose. Show me where the comment was that artificial turf was better than grass, completely excluding the multi-purpose angle? Hint, it's not there, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that it is. xnonox xnonox

andy7171
April 25th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Do y'all realize you are going back and forth over GRASS!

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Show me where the comment was that artificial turf was better than grass, completely excluding the multi-purpose angle

The angle is part of the reason why turf is better than grass.

McNeese72
April 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM

That's one reason it would be so costly to put any of the turf fields at McNeese. Getting proper drainage. The field is in a hole (thus the nickname "The Hole"), way below ground level and we have some constant ground water problems at the lowest levels of the field near the stadium walls. It can be dry for a month and you can still sink up to your ankles in those few areas. Most of us that roam the sidelines at games know what areas to avoid.

Doc

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
The angle is part of the reason why turf is better than grass.
You are straying SO far away from your original claim that grass is crappy and if the Patriots can't do it nobody can. Now you're backpedalling to donations to cover the costs of installation. xlolx
xdizzyx

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
your original claim that grass is crappy

Which is why so many people are willing to pay for turf fields.

GannonFan
April 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM

http://geology.com/news/images/state-high-points.jpg
Please note, the red markers indicate where on the map MplsBison has been during this discussion. xlolx xlolx xlolx

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Indeed, I have elevated to the highest position.

GannonFan
April 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Indeed, I have elevated to the highest position.

Where the oxygen is clearly limited. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Or because more people can use it... doesn't mean it's better, means it's more versitile. What's better for driving, a sports car or a mini-van?

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
doesn't mean it's better, means it's more versatile.

Being versatile is part of what makes it better!

Za-KEE-uS
April 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
U guys are flaming and talking about global warming.....
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/swampdog28/Thread-Cannot_be_saved_by_kittens.jpg

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Being versatile is part of what makes it better!
Versitile:
http://www.promopeddler.com/prodpics/prodimgs/3870000/3870127.jpg

Better:
http://www.knifecollection.com/skfb.jpg

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
That's not an analogy of the situation.

The correct analogy would be 2 equal quality knives except one knife breaks every time you use it and has to be maintained or the sharpness wears off very quickly.

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
except one knife breaks every time you use it and has to be maintained or the sharpness wears off very quickly.
You've obviously never been on a football field. xcoolx This isn't fricking billiards we're talking about.

Za-KEE-uS
May 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
The progress continues xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%207.JPG

HensRock
May 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM

UD's "Crappy" grass field:
http://www.gohens.net/images/Aug%2019th%20Scrimmage%20(More)/Dscn0274.jpg

UD's "Crappy" grass field after 7 home games:
http://www.gohens.net/images/Game11%20-%20Villanova/ou1k3135.jpg

MplsBison
May 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for proving my point for me.

Look at all those divots. Looks like the 4th hole green.

No matter how much money you spend (and UD obviously spends a lot, compared to some of the other grass fields I've seen), you can never have grass be at the level of turf during the game.

It simply becomes a matter of how well you can heal the field up for the next beating.

89Hen
May 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Look at all those divots.
WTF are you talking about? Your new name from this day forward shall be "Princess and the Pea". xrolleyesx xnonono2x

TheBisonator
May 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.gohens.net/images/Aug%2019th%20Scrimmage%20(More)/Dscn0274.jpg

This is off topic, but I think it's pretty cool that Delaware can get 80 or so people out to a summer scrimmage. NDSU can get maybe 30 or so, but that's just at our practice fields.

89Hen
May 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
This is off topic, but I think it's pretty cool that Delaware can get 80 or so people out to a summer scrimmage. NDSU can get maybe 30 or so, but that's just at our practice fields.
I'd have to guess that Rock took this prior to the stands filling up for the spring game, but I could be wrong.

TheBisonator
May 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM
I'd have to guess that Rock took this prior to the stands filling up for the spring game, but I could be wrong.

The URL says it's an Aug. 19 scrimmage.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
WTF are you talking about?

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1053/divotfieldby3.jpg

Never happen with turf.

89Hen
May 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Never happen with turf.
Your link isn't working, but I was asking you about the "divots" you saw in the pic of the Hens field. Please point out the "divots" and tell me how small blemishes affect play. xcoffeex

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0b58650c20.jpg

Never happen with turf.
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx
How is a clump of grass going to affect the game?

Just admit it. You just don't like dirty uniforms.

89Hen
May 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM

Just admit it. You just don't like dirty uniforms.
That's it. He's worried about the dirt obscuring a number so a QB might get confused when looking for his receivers. How in the world can anyone be expected to play football on anything but felt? Let's dome all the stadiums too because rain, snow, heck even sun can affect the game. Probably should install giant air purifiers so the players with allergies can breathe more easily. xrotatehx

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
That's it. He's worried about the dirt obscuring a number so a QB might get confused when looking for his receivers. How in the world can anyone be expected to play football on anything but felt? Let's dome all the stadiums too because rain, snow, heck even sun can affect the game. Probably should install giant air purifiers so the players with allergies can breathe more easily. xrotatehx
He's already said he hopes for a day when all 4 Dakota schools have domes. xnodx It's only a matter of time before he wants them all inside.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Maybe we should ask Montana and JMU about Chattanooga in 2004?

BISON Thunder
May 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
A little off topic here, but I traveled down to Thibodaux in 2004 for the NDSU - Nicholl's State game. It was one of the most enjoyable college football atmosphere's I have ever experienced. The home fans were rowdy but respectful, and appreciated that a few faired haired norwegians made the trip from Fargo. The stadium is gorgeous and is in a beautiful setting. I remember feeling the turf on the field and wondering what kind it was, because we certainly do not have that kind of grass in the northern tier. I sure hope for a return trip someday.

89Hen
May 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Maybe we should ask Montana and JMU about Chattanooga in 2004?
I don't think you'll get any complaints from JMU. :)

You still didn't answer the question. Nooga was an aberration.

Za-KEE-uS
May 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
A little off topic here, but I traveled down to Thibodaux in 2004 for the NDSU - Nicholl's State game. It was one of the most enjoyable college football atmosphere's I have ever experienced. The home fans were rowdy but respectful, and appreciated that a few faired haired norwegians made the trip from Fargo. The stadium is gorgeous and is in a beautiful setting. I remember feeling the turf on the field and wondering what kind it was, because we certainly do not have that kind of grass in the northern tier. I sure hope for a return trip someday.
Its called Bayou Bermuda. Guessing by the name it would be hard to get it to grow anywhere outside the southeast xlolx

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
I love the Bermuda grass we play on in Cowboy Stadium. That is when the weather is dry and it can be kept up. The field can be beautiful.

But in the year 2000 it rained for a week before we played SWT and then it rained again continuously until we played Nicholls St. in the next home game. And this picture below was the result midway in the game. And yes, you can't see some of the linemen's feet. Ankle deep mud. So if we got the newer type turf, it wouldn't hurt my feelings even though I love the natural grass.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/nich00gmud.jpg

Doc

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM

Nice picture!

Now while mplsbison will look at this as an abomination. I and any other person who has played football, excluding kickers, thinks one thing.....AWESOME!

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well, if it wouldn't have been for a continuously misting rain and a wind chill in the mid 30's, it would have been a fun game.

I ended up taking pictures from the enclosed press box and not on the sideline.

Doc

BISON Thunder
May 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Well, if it wouldn't have been for a continuously misting rain and a wind chill in the mid 30's, it would have been a fun game.

I ended up taking pictures from the enclosed press box and not on the sideline.

Doc
Were there any completed passes?

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
I and any other person who has played football, excluding kickers, thinks one thing.....AWESOME!

You obviously never had to hike, throw, catch, or hold onto the ball.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM

These conditions are a slap in the face to a DI football player.

Sure, that type of crap flies in middle school football where the players slide in the mud after the game to get as dirty as possible.

The NCAA needs to have rules about the condition of the playing surface. You wanna have grass, you better damn well keep it at a respectable level or you lose the home game!

GannonFan
May 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

Sure, that type of crap flies in middle school football where the players slide in the mud after the game to get as dirty as possible.

The NCAA needs to have rules about the condition of the playing surface. You wanna have grass, you better damn well keep it at a respectable level or you lose the home game!

I hear it was windy that day too. I hope the NCAA starts getting on these schools to put up proper wind shields soon or start yanking those home games. Anything with gusts above 20 mph is just a slap in the face to DI quarterbacks and should just not be allowed. xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xwhistlex

McNeese75
May 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Spoken like a true fan of a team that plays in a bubble :D

Irregardless of your continious slamming of natural turf. We like it down here!! xnodx

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Were there any completed passes?

We completed some but I don't know about Nicholls. They had started running the GSU triple option that year and didn't throw many passes in a game anyway.

Final score was McNeese 12 Nicholls 7.

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
You obviously never had to hike, throw, catch, or hold onto the ball.
I was a center at Towson, Skippy!

89Hen
May 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnutsx

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hey, both teams had to play in the same conditions. Same as if it was in heavy snow.

And this was after three straight weeks of rain just about every day. Even though we get a lot a rain, that is not the norm here. This is what our field normally looks like before a game.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/slu06pgfield1.jpg

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I remember playing a game like that in the mud up in Orono. Just warm enough to not snow. Cold freezing rain, half frozen muddy field a nice stiff wind. Just doesn't get any better than that! Our o-line coach kept turning off the portable heaters saying "You gotta get tough in the mind!"

I hated that man. :p

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
I hear it was windy that day too.

This thread is about playing surfaces.

If you want to start a new thread about wind, you're welcome.

Otherwise, stay on topic.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I was a center at Towson, Skippy!

Then you know how hard it is to hike in crap like that.

Frankly, I don't care how hard you pretend to like harsh conditions. Players don't like them and it's BS to subject them to them.

andy7171
May 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Then you know how hard it is to hike in crap like that.

Frankly, I don't care how hard you pretend to like harsh conditions. Players don't like them and it's BS to subject them to them.
It's really not that hard. You use the laces kinda opposite than throwing it, with the last lace under your thumb. If you practice with soaked slick kicking balls, you get used to it.

Then tell me why you see players in the freezing cold wearing nothing under their pads and rolling up their sleeves in games like that. You don't hate playing in that, you live for it. Because if the guy you are playing against is menstruating about the conditions, you have won the battle already. xthumbsupx

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM

Oh, you are the "topic police" on this board? It you want to get nitpicky, by the title of this thread, it is supposed to be about Nicholls St. beginning new field improvements (putting down new Field Turf) not a thread about artificial turf vs grass. So we are all off topic.

By your attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if you are a fricking liberal.

Doc

Za-KEE-uS
May 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Oh, you are the "topic police" on this board? It you want to get nitpicky, by the title of this thread, it is supposed to be about Nicholls St. beginning new field improvements (putting down new Field Turf) not a thread about artificial turf vs grass. So we are all off topic.

Doc
Exactly why I love this thread, no real topic leads to fresh randomness everyday xlolx

Za-KEE-uS
May 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
I love the Bermuda grass we play on in Cowboy Stadium. That is when the weather is dry and it can be kept up. The field can be beautiful.

But in the year 2000 it rained for a week before we played SWT and then it rained again continuously until we played Nicholls St. in the next home game. And this picture below was the result midway in the game. And yes, you can't see some of the linemen's feet. Ankle deep mud. So if we got the newer type turf, it wouldn't hurt my feelings even though I love the natural grass.

Doc
I guess they dont call it the Dirty South for nothin

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Then tell me why you see players in the freezing cold wearing nothing under their pads and rolling up their sleeves in games like that.

Because their coaches make them do it to prove to the other team that they're "tough".

Since when does getting frostbite prove that you're a man?

What a crock of steaming ______.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM

What would that have to do with anything?

GannonFan
May 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Because their coaches make them do it to prove to the other team that they're "tough".

Too funny!!!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mountaineer
May 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
The last 3 or 4 pages of this thread are absolutely brilliant! Classic material even. xlolx

McNeese72 - That picture is awesome! :D

GeauxColonels
May 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM

GREAT advice.....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

GeauxColonels
May 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Wow...thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure I would have ever expected anyone to describe their trip to Thibodaux like that. As for the turf...I think the whole "Bayou Bermuda" label is pretty dumb. I couldn't tell you what it is truly called. I'm just glad they're getting rid of it!!! It's not a pretty site once you get a lot of rain...just like that McNeese picture. Really, you can ask almost any fellow-SLC poster and they will know what I'm talking about.

TColonel
May 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
I had the opportunity to walk on the field this week and it will be such an improvement from the grass that there really will be no comparison. It was very interesting to see how the progress of the leveling is taking place. What is interesting is that the field, especially at the 50, will be much higher than in the past because of the turtle backing for drainage being installed. I can not wait to see the finished product becuase this new surface will be extremely beneficial to Nicholls becuase of the amount of rain that we get.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
it will be such an improvement from the grass that there really will be no comparison.

Pretty much says it all.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I had the opportunity to walk on the field this week and it will be such an improvement from the grass that there really will be no comparison. It was very interesting to see how the progress of the leveling is taking place. What is interesting is that the field, especially at the 50, will be much higher than in the past because of the turtle backing for drainage being installed. I can not wait to see the finished product becuase this new surface will be extremely beneficial to Nicholls becuase of the amount of rain that we get.
glad to hear it is coming along well and looking good

McNeese75
May 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Pretty much says it all.

xrolleyesx xcoffeex

HensRock
May 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM

Yes, the picture was taken last August before a practice scrimmage game. UD usually gets 100-200 to watch a scrimmage.

The Annual Spring game drew an estimated 1200.

GeauxColonels
May 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Pretty much says it all.
It says it all because the field was not kept up very well since the athletic department has horrible funding.

TColonel,
Did I see that they're putting down a layer of gravel? I'm really curious as to what type of drainage system they're using.

andy7171
May 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Oh please! In this age of legal suit. Do you really think a coach makes a player wear or not wear something to get frost bite? And how the heck do you get frostbite from playing in the mud and rain? And if the coach make his players do it, why do only some of them do it and the others, don't?
Please don't just answer saying I'm lying or making it up.

MplsBison
May 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
You may be crazy, but you don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

Stop pretending to be representing football players.

andy7171
May 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM
You may be crazy, but you don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

Stop pretending to be representing football players.
Sorry, I had 110-115 teammates over 5 years in college and 30-40 in 4 years in high school though. I'm pretty they would all agree with me.

You may be insane as well, but I think you speak to the punter and place kickers of the world.

MplsBison
May 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty they would all agree with me.

I'm pretty sure they would all agree with me.

I guess our equal and opposite opinions cancel each other out.

andy7171
May 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure they would all agree with me.

I guess our equal and opposite opinions cancel each other out.
It sure does mpls, it sure does.

TColonel
May 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
TColonel,
Did I see that they're putting down a layer of gravel? I'm really curious as to what type of drainage system they're using.

Actually, it is not gravel that is being put down, but limestone. After removing nearly two feet of grass/dirt in some places, the field was laser leveled for drainage. A type of tarp was first placed down, with the limestone in the picture placed on top. From what I have been told, a second layer of a crushed linestone will then be applied with a rubber matting going on top of that and the turf being placed on top.

The top turf and the matting are designed for water to flow through with the water then being able to flow through the limestone and the bottom tarp will cause the water run off into the drainage collection areas just off of the sidelines. The field and drainage are designed to be able drain up to 14 inches of rain per hour and for some of the Colonel games that I have attended, the field will surely be tested.

Za-KEE-uS
May 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
TColonel,

Actually, it is not gravel that is being put down, but limestone. After removing nearly two feet of grass/dirt in some places, the field was laser leveled for drainage. A type of tarp was first placed down, with the limestone in the picture placed on top. From what I have been told, a second layer of a crushed linestone will then be applied with a rubber matting going on top of that and the turf being placed on top.

The top turf and the matting are designed for water to flow through with the water then being able to flow through the limestone and the bottom tarp will cause the water run off into the drainage collection areas just off of the sidelines. The field and drainage are designed to be able drain up to 14 inches of rain per hour and for some of the Colonel games that I have attended, the field will surely be tested.

:D :D xrotatehx xrotatehx xnodx xnodx xeekx xeekx xeekx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Ok, at the risk of losing all credibility, what little of it I had in the first place, here it goes: Generally speaking, I agree!

#1 - Welcome to the world of FieldTurf Nicholls State, you'll LOVE it!

#2 - I love natural grass when properly managed, when a pond of poop, it's just a bit too crappy.

#3 - In 2005, JMU played at UMass and at Delaware. Lots of Hurricanes and storms in the NE US that fall. Lost both games. The crappy conditions did not help (NOTE: This is not the reason JMU lost, it just sucked!). UMass looked much like that picture from the Nichols St. game. Many times the officials just kinda guessed where to spot the ball - HORRIBLE! Later in the season, several players tripped up on Delaware's patchwork of turf they quickly installed after the storms had passed.

#4 - Chattanooga was horrible too. Yes, JMU won, but JMU was not happy about the conditions either. No team ever wants the other to have an "excuse" concerning the outcome of a game. NOTE: Not a single Griz fan has "blamed" the outcome of the game on this. Very classy xthumbsupx

#5 - I believe FieldTurf projects are financed, meaning the argument about time value of money does not really hold water.

#6 - Would football players prefer to play on grass - yes, 90% of the time. But I bet many are glad when it had been raining for a week and they can go out and play on a nice field the next day.

#7 - FieldTurf has had nothing but praise from JMU's players. Then again, our asphalt parking lot we called a playing surface should have been reprimanded by the NCAA years ago!

#8 - This is a funny argument. Some like grass, some like Fieldturf - NO ONE likes astroturf!

That's my peace, pool 'ol MplsBison has been beat up enough on this argument, although his masochistic ways have brought it on and kept the senseless shlong measuring going on for far too long. I generally agree with him though, but maybe that's just because so many Delaware fans are against you... xlolx

Have fun arguing, and again, LOOKS GOOD NICHOLLS ST. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
May 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah baby, we got one!

Who wants to be next?

One thing though, I actually think that a majority of players *prefer* to be on fieldturf over grass!

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah baby, we got one!

Who wants to be next?

One thing though, I actually think that a majority of players *prefer* to be on fieldturf over grass!
Grain of salt there Mpls. JMU had one of the worst fields in all of CF prior to this, so ANY change would have been a drastic improvement.

GeauxColonels
May 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
TColonel,

GREAT!!! Thanks for the info!!! It seems like EVERY home game for my first few years at Nicholls State had torrential downpours. It will be interesting to see it rain and NOT have huge mud puddles everywhere.

Any idea what the endzones are going to look like? I'm assuming they'll have the "pierced N" at the 50.

TColonel
May 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
GREAT!!! Thanks for the info!!! It seems like EVERY home game for my first few years at Nicholls State had torrential downpours. It will be interesting to see it rain and NOT have huge mud puddles everywhere.

Any idea what the endzones are going to look like? I'm assuming they'll have the "pierced N" at the 50.

The field will look like it did last year as it will have to be painted for every game. I was told that this is a new type of surface that will not have the same stitching as earlier versions of astroplay fields and it does not allow for the logo and other permanent colors to be stitched into the surface. Also, there have been some reports that fields with the logo being permanent that there have been numerous rips in the surface around those logos causing more field repair. All in all, I think painting the field will not look as good, but still think that it will look great and we will take what we get, especially when someone else is paying for it!

andy7171
May 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I actually think that a majority of players *prefer* to be on fieldturf over grass!
That is your own opinion.
You don't speak any of the players so stop acting like it.
You are only one voice.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah baby, we got one!

Who wants to be next?

Weren't you the one who dismissed the survey of NFL players that overwhelmingly said they preferred grass to artificial surfaces? So when you say the majority of players like fieldturf over grass, it's only the majority of players whom you choose to acknowledge and you just ignore those who go against your position? xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xpeacex

MplsBison
May 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Grain of salt there Mpls. JMU had one of the worst fields in all of CF prior to this, so ANY change would have been a drastic improvement.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

UD players just don't know what they're missing.

Eventually, getting fieldturf is going to be a simple keeping up with the Joneses facility upgrade.

Teams that don't have it are going to be looked down upon by recruits.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Eventually, getting fieldturf is going to be a simple keeping up with the Joneses facility upgrade.

Sure they are. Players will start lobbying to stay out of the Rose Bowl too because of that silly, lush, green stuff they play on there. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

andy7171
May 8th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Hey mpls are you the same guy who complains about players jerseys getting untucked?

McNeese75
May 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

IMO Teams that don't have it are going to be looked down upon by recruits.

There I fixed that for ya :D

89Hen
May 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
AGAIN, speaking as a fan of a team in a dome with artificial turf. Come to a Hen game and see first hand if a recruit would be anything but blown away by the field and atmosphere. xcoffeex

andy7171
May 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
AGAIN, speaking as a fan of a team in a dome with artificial turf. Come to a Hen game and see first hand if a recruit would be anything but blown away by the field and atmosphere. xcoffeex
I don't think he likes to go outside. :)

Za-KEE-uS
May 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM
The field will look like it did last year as it will have to be painted for every game. I was told that this is a new type of surface that will not have the same stitching as earlier versions of astroplay fields and it does not allow for the logo and other permanent colors to be stitched into the surface. Also, there have been some reports that fields with the logo being permanent that there have been numerous rips in the surface around those logos causing more field repair. All in all, I think painting the field will not look as good, but still think that it will look great and we will take what we get, especially when someone else is paying for it!
I hope its better than Texas Sate's, they paint theirs and it gets very crunchy.xconfusedx

TColonel
May 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I hope its better than Texas Sate's, they paint theirs and it gets very crunchy.xconfusedx

That is my concern as well. I have been on the field before a Saints game and the logo at the 50 is also a bit crunchy. I guess we will see in July when the Mannings have the passing academy.

BTW, since you seem somewhat new to the board, come on over to Nicholls' delphi message board at http://forums.delphiforums.com/Nicholls/start

There is also a tab at the top for the primary message board for McNeese, Northwestern, Southeastern and SFA.

GeauxColonels
May 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I just hope they don't mis-spell "Colonels" like they did several years back. They had to find some green paint to do some quick fixing and it looked pretty bad.

I think they need to do the endzones with the red and white checkerboard in the corners. I LOVED that look.

TColonel
May 8th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I just hope they don't mis-spell "Colonels" like they did several years back. They had to find some green paint to do some quick fixing and it looked pretty bad.

I think they need to do the endzones with the red and white checkerboard in the corners. I LOVED that look.

Colonels was never misspelled, green paint was used because that endzone had all of the grass worn out from a combination of rain and the Saints doing drills in the end zone.

Also, the purina checkerboard will not be coming back. I must admit, you and the person who ordered the paint crew are the only two people that I know who liked the checkerboard.

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Also, the purina checkerboard will not be coming back. I must admit, you and the person who ordered the paint crew are the only two people that I know who liked the checkerboard.
I like checkerboard endzones. :o

Za-KEE-uS
May 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%208.JPG
progress continues.....thats a pretty good shot of the stadium to :)

GannonFan
May 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM

What's up with the seats being crooked in the middle of the stadium - is that an expansion joint or just some poor installation?? :p

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
What's up with the seats being crooked in the middle of the stadium - is that an expansion joint or just some poor installation?? :p
Looks like the sides are angled in but flat.

http://www.colonelsports.com/images/guidrystadium02.jpg

GannonFan
May 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Looks like the sides are angled in but flat.

http://www.colonelsports.com/images/guidrystadium02.jpg

I see - thanks. Odd to do, though, considering those middle seats are chairbacks and, I assume, could be slanted individually to accomplish the same fit.

TColonel
May 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I see - thanks. Odd to do, though, considering those middle seats are chairbacks and, I assume, could be slanted individually to accomplish the same fit.

The stadium was built with an angle as the distance at the ends of the stadium to the field is about 30' where the distance at midfield from stadium to sideline is closer to 40' feet.

lizrdgizrd
May 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM
#5 - I believe FieldTurf projects are financed, meaning the argument about time value of money does not really hold water.
Actually, the cost of the financing will determine whether TVoM makes a difference or not. A high enough interest rate will cause the overall cost to rise regardless of the impact of inflation.

Za-KEE-uS
May 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM
personally i think it would look better if they just left a thin V blank rather than try to fill it in the way they did.

lizrdgizrd
May 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
personally i think it would look better if they just left a thin V blank rather than try to fill it in the way they did.
More seats = more money. At least in theory. xtwocentsx

GeauxColonels
May 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I would be willing to wager that when the stadium was initially constructed, it was all bleacher seating. The chairback seats in the picture are the only ones in the stadium.

Za-KEE-uS
May 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
More seats = more money. At least in theory. xtwocentsx
Yeah, but we're not exactly filling up the stadium.

lizrdgizrd
May 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
That's why it's just a theory. xlolx :o

GeauxColonels
May 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
How sadly true that is....at least I do my part.

It seems the only way it comes close to filling up is when the Jags come callin' from Baton Rouge.

Za-KEE-uS
May 10th, 2007, 08:03 PM
How sadly true that is....at least I do my part.

It seems the only way it comes close to filling up is when the Jags come callin' from Baton Rouge.
That is so true, homecoming isnt to bad either, but SU fans travel very well. It would help if we played more thursday games, ALL of the students here go home on the weekends. The school newspaper also reported that LSU stuff (shirts, hats, etc.) outnumber NSU stuff on campus 3-1

GeauxColonels
May 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
That is so true, homecoming isnt to bad either, but SU fans travel very well. It would help if we played more thursday games, ALL of the students here go home on the weekends. The school newspaper also reported that LSU stuff (shirts, hats, etc.) outnumber NSU stuff on campus 3-1
It was like that when I was in undersgraduate there. I think someone needs to make a push to the fraternities and sororities to stay the ENTIRE game!!! I know that TKE has actually upped their support hard (as much as it pains me to say it). I think the Thursday games help to. But personally, I don't think the 2PM kickoffs in September help. Not that many people want to be sitting in the hot, muggy stands in 80 degree heat when it would be comfortable, in the 70s for a 7PM kickoff.

But the bottom line is that consistently winning will help improve support for the program.

GeauxColonels
June 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Update from Nicholls State on the field improvements:

http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Manning%20Passing%20Academy.htm

CLICK HERE (http://www.colonelsports.com/images/turf%20construction%209.jpg) for a very LARGE picture.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think you have enough resolution there.

Maybe get a better camera?

already123
June 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
its about time they upgrade!

813Jag
June 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I would love for the Jags to take the trip down Highway 1. xthumbsupx

GeauxColonels
June 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I don't think you have enough resolution there.

Maybe get a better camera?
[1] I didn't take the picture....it's linked directly from the Nicholls State athletics site.

[2] I've been trying to change it to just a link to the picture because I didn't realize how big it was, but the site won't let me update it.

GeauxColonels
June 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ahhhh FINALLY! It let me edit my post.