PDA

View Full Version : University of Dayton Spring Game / Information

DetroitFlyer
April 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041707aaa.html

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041207aaa.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2007/04/05/ddn040507inside.html?UrAuth=`N]NUObN[UbTTUWUXUVUZTZU_UWU\UcUZUcUZUcTYWYWZV

Coaching means evolving. Despite more than a quarter century at his job, University of Dayton football coach Mike Kelly isn't afraid of new ideas.

Kelly and the Flyers went 4-6 last year — UD's first losing season since the mid 1970s. But he said that's not the only reason for some changes. "You always look at ways to improve the program," he said.

UD is in the middle of spring practice, though the 90-ish players (including 37 fourth- or fifth-year guys) are off for Easter. The first-ever Red & Blue game is scheduled for 3 p.m. April 21 at Welcome Stadium.

"We want to keep the guys motivated and not become stale in what we're doing," Kelly said. "We're getting more intense with it."

The coaching staff is evaluating some different Xs and Os.

"We're dabbling, experimenting in all three phases," Kelly said. "We're trying to see what we want to keep for the second half of spring ... to keep it or trash it."

Other changes:

• UD has hired Patrick Henry, a coaching intern Kelly said was from Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Henry will coach wide receivers.

• Another intern will be hired to recruit and take over coaching defensive backs from Kelly.

"I'm kind of a full-time assistant wearing the head coach's hat," Kelly said. "This will free me up and give us more oomph in recruiting.

"It's something I've always wanted to do to let me be more instrumental in overseeing everything ... It will be a challenge for me to relinquish some of that."

• Kelly confirmed UD will play 11 games instead of the usual 10. The series with Austin Peay and Wittenberg ended, but already announced is a new series with Central State (Sept. 15). Urbana University's Web site shows a Sept. 8 game against UD at Welcome Stadium.

Other school and fan sites show UD playing at Robert Morris (Sept. 1) and at Fordham (Sept. 22) along with the usual other seven Pioneer Football League teams.

• Kelly said the team soon will announce the 20-25 members of its newest recruiting class.

On Saturday, April 21, 2007 we will have a "real" Spring game. Before the game there will be a cookout for the fans, and after the game the intramural football championships will be played. Sounds like a great day of UD Football! Go Flyers.

Calif_Colonial
April 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Flyer, I am considering making it back to Pittsburgh for the Dayton - Robert Morris game. I have always appreciated the Flyers and Mike Kelly's teams over the years. Even though you guys have got the best of us over the years. :D

The Flyers and Colonials always play each other hard and I know that both organizations have a lot of respect for one another. My plan is to go to the Flyers game and make it down to the away game at Duquesne University. Duquesne is about 18 miles east of the RMU campus.

Best of Luck this season.

BobbyMo
April 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Calif, If you need some drinkng partners after the games let me know.

phillyAPP
April 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Moon Township

I have great friends " On the Moon"

I Love watching football " ON THE ROCK "

& I am an "EAGLE" iat Heart