PDA

View Full Version : Griz offense looks solid. Spring drills complete

Ronbo
April 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Final Spring scrimmage was today.

Griz Offense did well in the three scrimmages which by the way had blitzing allowed in all three.

Total Griz offensive stats for the 3 scrimmages. Against the 2006 Big Sky's best Defense with almost the entire Defense returning. Our top RB Hilliard was held out and 2 of our top 3 WR's are injured, Chambers and Bagley. All three missed the 3 scrimmages.

Total Plays 164
Total Yards 1051
Passing 48-64-0 592 yards, 6TD's, 75% Comp. (w/no int's!)
Rushing 94 carries, 459 yards, 4.88 ypc, 8 TD's

Dan Carpenter had 4 FG's for the 3 scrimmages. Punter Tyson Johnson looks very strong and averaged almost 45 yards a punt.

Here is the story on the final scrimmage.

3rd and final Griz scrimmage (http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/news/xsl/news_item.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_news_detail&id_news=21614&record_type=DB&-token.1=21614&-max=1&-find)

mtgrizfan4life
April 14th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Also to note, SR basketball player (SF/SG) is attempting to make the football team. I did not see him play, but word is he has a ton of potential, and just may stick. He caught a TD pass in the last scrimmage. Griz starting WR, ERIC ALLEN has been working with and coaching Mayes. If Mayes turns out to be the real deal he would join Allen, Bagley, and Chambers over 6'2". TE's Beaudin, Pfahler, and Overton all over 6'2" too. Red zone struggles should be all but over in 07!

Ronbo
April 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Stuart Mayes, most recently a forward on the Griz basketball team, had a 22-yard scoring reception on a pass from Larson.

Stuart Mayes
Born: 11/17/1984
Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 205 lbs.
Year: Senior
Major: Sociology
Hometown: Elkhart, IN
Previous School: Grand Rapids CC

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Griz_Basketb/Photos/vs_Montana_T/stuart_mayes.jpg

High School:
A four-sport letterwinner in basketball, football, track and field and golf at Elkhart Central High School ... served as team captain in basketball in junior and senior seasons ... helped lead team to a pair of conference championships ... an all-state and all-conference selection as a senior ... recorded 17.2 points, 9.1 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 3.0 steals per game in his senior campaign ... also an all-state and all-conference performer in football ... helped lead football team to a conference championship as a senior ... also a member of two conference champion track and field teams ... served as golf team captain in his senior season.

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 07:59 AM
sounds like a crazy all around good athlete

mtgrizfan4life
April 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
sounds like a crazy all around good athlete

He has been through alot in his time at Montana. He had to sort out a few things in life. Once he did so, he has been a huge asset to the GRIZ on and off the court. As his playing time increased this year, the team defense got much better. His defense was due to his athleticism. Personally, I feel he is a feel good story. I am pulling for him. It would be a great story on and off the field if he can do this. Myself, I would look forward to having Mayes as part of Montana athletics for another year. Good luck STU, this GRIZ fan is pulling for you xthumbsupx (on and off the field).

Ronbo
April 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Some video from the final scrimmage. 5000 attendance.

Griz Scrimmage Saturday (http://www.billingsgazette.net/m/players/flv_video/video.php?v=/m/video/2007/04/15/griz)

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
They played the spring game in Billings?

CrunchGriz
April 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Yes. The Griz move their last spring scrimmage around each year to different parts of the state.

Hansel
April 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Mont State plays their's in Great Falls

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Interesting.

I suppose it's a thing to do when the state doesn't really have a major city, rather a bunch of smaller regional centers.

GrizMFr
April 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Billings has about 9 players on the roster, it's a reward for the city for sending their kids to the Griz. Kalispell has had the scrum a couple of times in the past years. Also the different chapters of the GSA get rewarded for their contributions. The Griz will be a force to be reckoned with this year!

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Are the different regional cities feircly loyal to UM or MSU?

Or are they all pretty evenly split up?

IE, is Helena UM and Great Falls MSU, or something?

mtgrizfan4life
April 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Are the different regional cities feircly loyal to UM or MSU?

Or are they all pretty evenly split up?

IE, is Helena UM and Great Falls MSU, or something?

Both GRIZ and CATS have very loyal following. Due to the last 15 years of success, GRIZ fans are everywhere in large abundance most everywhere, including Bozeman. 20 years ago, loyality was pretty even. With the Cats having established some consistency of recent past they are getting more respect. It will be awhile before fan loyality is back to 50/50. No official numbers, but I would say it is about 2/3 GRIZ fans, 1/3 CAT fans. I for one like seeing close games year after year now. GRIZ/CAT rivalry really got out of hand for over a dozen years.

I root for all instate players regardless where they go to college. However, the GRIZ are the only FCS team I root for religiously. BCS team is Nebraska or WAZZU, at least until the gRIZ make a move. xthumbsupx

mtgrizfan4life
April 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Here is an added article regarding the GRIZ scrimmage in Billings. Quite an impactful article as to another example of what the GRIZ mean to the state and do behind the scenes.
Link http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/04/15/news/local/25-griz_z.txt

Article:

Disabled fans get fun day with Griz
By BECKY SHAY
Of The Gazette Staff

Sue Dow hoped that when the Grizzly Spring Scrimmage came to Billings on Saturday, she could arrange for some football players to pose for a photo with clients from STEP.

As it worked out, they got a whole lot more than a photo: Jason Sanderson, Michael Dick, Brad Evans and John Sweeney became Grizzlies for a Day.

The honor entailed joining more than 100 football players and coaches at breakfast, riding the team bus to the game, touring the locker room, tossing around a football, and coveted sideline access. And, of course, that post-game photo.

"Those boys are having a good day," Dow said grinning. Dow is executive director of STEP - Support and Techniques for Empowering People - and she knew the young men, all disabled, each wished to go to a college football game. Her son, Colin, is a Griz offensive lineman, so Dow called and asked if he could help. Colin Dow said he'd check with Grizzly football coach Bobby Hauck.

"Colin called me back in five minutes and said, 'You bet,' " she said.

Chris Sanderson, Jason's brother, said Jason had been excited about the game since Wednesday.

"It's all he's talked about," Chris Sanderson said as he and Jason watched special teams practice. "He's been ready to go since 6 this morning."

Because he uses a motorized wheelchair, Jason couldn't ride the team bus from breakfast to Wendy's Field at Daylis Stadium. Sue Dow said that as Jason waited for the bus to arrive he repeatedly and excitedly asked, "what time is it?"

The other Grizzly for the Day, John Sweeney, didn't want to give up his regular Saturday bowling, so he went from breakfast to the lanes and came back for the post-game photo.

Chris Sanderson said he was very impressed with the team and how they interacted with the young men, who all have disabilities.

"Most people just stand back and let you pass by," Sanderson said, but the Grizzlies approached his brother and the others and visited.

The University of Montana Book Store donated jerseys for the men, which the football players presented at breakfast.

"It seems like everywhere we turn, they've done something else," said Jessica Haan, who attended with Michael Dick.

Wearing a Steelers cap and his new UM-maroon shirt, Michael sat quietly on the bench and didn't miss a moment of the action.

"Michael loves football," Haan said. "It's his passion in life."

Brad Evans wandered the sideline between Jason and Michael. He greeted players as they came off the field, including his foster brother, Colin Dow, who arrived with blood oozing out of the gauze wrap on his hand and dripping from his nose.

"What happened?" Brad asked Colin.

"I got hit," Colin said and wrapped an arm around Brad.

Several years ago, Brad came to the Dow family for two weeks of respite foster care, Sue Dow said. The family fell in love with Brad "and he never left," she said. Brad is comfortable on the sidelines as he was a water boy for Senior High when Colin played there and their dad was a coach.

Like the other friends and family, Sue Dow she was thrilled with the Grizzlies' response to the men.

"They literally said, 'we're honored that you're here today,' " she said.

Hansel
April 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Interesting.

I suppose it's a thing to do when the state doesn't really have a major city, rather a bunch of smaller regional centers.
NDSU has held spring scrimmages in Bismarck before, I think it is something they should do again

GOKATS
April 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Both GRIZ and CATS have very loyal following. Due to the last 15 years of success, GRIZ fans are everywhere in large abundance most everywhere, including Bozeman. 20 years ago, loyality was pretty even. With the Cats having established some consistency of recent past they are getting more respect. It will be awhile before fan loyality is back to 50/50. No official numbers, but I would say it is about 2/3 GRIZ fans, 1/3 CAT fans. I for one like seeing close games year after year now. GRIZ/CAT rivalry really got out of hand for over a dozen years.

I root for all instate players regardless where they go to college. However, the GRIZ are the only FCS team I root for religiously. BCS team is Nebraska or WAZZU, at least until the gRIZ make a move. xthumbsupx

No slam- as you said there are no official numbers, but I seriously question your 2/3 to 1/3 disparity. Montana is a huge state and there are definitely loyalties, but I'd guess much closer to 50/50 than 66/33.

Yea, the griz picked up some (I'll avoid the words band wagon and fair weather)fans during the rout years, but I've been a Bobcat for some 45 years or more, and the disperity has never been what you indicate- though we suffered those 16 years, we were still Bobcats!xthumbsupx

mtgrizfan4life
April 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
No slam- as you said there are no official numbers, but I seriously question your 2/3 to 1/3 disparity. Montana is a huge state and there are definitely loyalties, but I'd guess much closer to 50/50 than 66/33.

Yea, the griz picked up some (I'll avoid the words band wagon and fair weather)fans during the rout years, but I've been a Bobcat for some 45 years or more, and the disperity has never been what you indicate- though we suffered those 16 years, we were still Bobcats!xthumbsupx

We will never know. It may not be as high as I posted, but much more than 50/50. 60/40 might be closer. I grew up in Western Mt. Went to college in Eastern MT. I go all over the state. Right now, I notice much more GRIZ attire being worn, much more interest in the GRIZ, and more people proclaiming loyality to the GRIZ. I will agree with you, there are many fair weathered fans or bandwagon fans. I was raised in GRIZ country, and grew up a GRIZ fan, despite my DAD going to MSU. Granted, I have not been around as long as you. I have been told by my fairshare that at one time the CATS were THE TEAM, and have no reason to believe otherwise. However, with that said, I have no doubts Montana is more GRIZ than CATS now and the past 15 years.
No disrespect to any CAT fan. I love the rivalry and love it even more when both teams are fighting it out for the conference title. Which is becoming the norm of recent years. I hope it stays competitive. It makes for a much funner and healthier rivalry. GO GRIZ! xthumbsupx

Tod
April 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Interesting.

I think you're partially right, but Billings is by far the largest city in Montana:

1. Billings 98,721
2 Missoula 62,923
3 Great Falls 56,338

That's as of 1 Jul 05 (estimate).

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-Montana.html

If you do look at that link, note that Missoula has doubled in population since 1980. It may one day take over Billings as the largest in the state, but I think that's a long ways off, and certainly no guarantee. Billings is growing, too.

Also of note is how stable the population is in Great Falls. The place just doesn't change much. I believe the 1960 census was the last time Great Falls was the largest city in the state.

Interesting trivia. From Billings, you can travel 500 miles in any direction and not come to a larger city (yes, it's Fargo to the east).

Jackluv
April 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
how did the Oklahoma transfer J.D. Quinn do? isnt he playing center?

Tod
April 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM
how did the Oklahoma transfer J.D. Quinn do? isnt he playing center?

Sprained ankle, he didn't play. :(

Hansel
April 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
If you do look at that link, note that Missoula has doubled in population since 1980. It may one day take over Billings as the largest in the state, but I think that's a long ways off, and certainly no guarantee. Billings is growing, too.

Bozeman might beat them both :o

catbob
April 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
By 2030 I bet Belgrade will be a suburb of Bozeman. They are both growing rapidly.

Ronbo
April 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Missoula is by far the fastest growing area in the last 25 years, almost doubling. Both Bozeman and Missoula have added about 6000 between 2000 and 2005.

CatFan22
April 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Billings has about 9 players on the roster, it's a reward for the city for sending their kids to the Griz. Kalispell has had the scrum a couple of times in the past years. Also the different chapters of the GSA get rewarded for their contributions. The Griz will be a force to be reckoned with this year!

The Cats have 9 from Billings as well, so they should get to play in Great Falls and in Billings as a reward! :) xthumbsupx
And I am predicting the Cats will go farther than the griz this year!

Proud Griz Man
April 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
The Cats have 9 from Billings as well, so they should get to play in Great Falls and in Billings as a reward! :) xthumbsupx

Griz envy noted. This thread is about the Grizzly Spring FB Scrimmage and BobCat fans hijack the thread into "who's team will go further," and "Bozeman's population will exceed Billings and Missoula." I bet you also predicted a 77-0 win over Chadron last year too. xcoffeex

CatFan22
April 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Griz envy noted. This thread is about the Grizzly Spring FB Scrimmage and BobCat fans hijack the thread into "who's team will go further," and "Bozeman's population will exceed Billings and Missoula." I bet you also predicted a 77-0 win over Chadron last year too. xcoffeex

Another jerk-off griz fan noted. Can't you people ever take a joke? Jesus Christ, it's like dealing with 3-year olds all the time. And you are a hypocrite for saying something about hijacking threads when you say what you just did at the end of your post.
And it's funny how you missed that the change of topic was started by an NDSU fan.

CatFan22
April 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Anyway, for those of you who saw the game and followed the griz in the spring, how did Lex look so far?

CopperCat
April 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Final Spring scrimmage was today.

Griz Offense did well in the three scrimmages which by the way had blitzing allowed in all three.

Total Griz offensive stats for the 3 scrimmages. Against the 2006 Big Sky's best Defense with almost the entire Defense returning. Our top RB Hilliard was held out and 2 of our top 3 WR's are injured, Chambers and Bagley. All three missed the 3 scrimmages.

Total Plays 164
Total Yards 1051
Passing 48-64-0 592 yards, 6TD's, 75% Comp. (w/no int's!)
Rushing 94 carries, 459 yards, 4.88 ypc, 8 TD's

Dan Carpenter had 4 FG's for the 3 scrimmages. Punter Tyson Johnson looks very strong and averaged almost 45 yards a punt.

Here is the story on the final scrimmage.

3rd and final Griz scrimmage (http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/news/xsl/news_item.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_news_detail&id_news=21614&record_type=DB&-token.1=21614&-max=1&-find)

The offense racked up that many yards!?!?!?!?!?!? That is good for the O, but NOT so good for the D (that is supposed to be so good, even in a Bobcat's opinion).

CopperCat
April 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM

This has become cliche. Please make up another comeback.xoopsx

Tod
April 16th, 2007, 12:14 AM

"Griz envy noted"? For predicting the 'Cats go further than the Griz this year?

Sorry, 'Cat fans. Apparently the Griz now literally own the Big Sky, and there will be no talk of, ahem, "others" taking our rightful place.

Embarrassing Griz superiority complex and vanity noted.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I think you're partially right, but Billings is by far the largest city in Montana:

1. Billings 98,721
2 Missoula 62,923
3 Great Falls 56,338

That's as of 1 Jul 05 (estimate).

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-Montana.html

Also of note is how stable the population is in Great Falls. The place just doesn't change much. I believe the 1960 census was the last time Great Falls was the largest city in the state.

Interesting trivia. From Billings, you can travel 500 miles in any direction and not come to a larger city (yes, it's Fargo to the east).

Another interesting bit of trivia: Southgate Mall is (or at least was when it was built and for many years thereafter) the largest shopping mall between Seattle and Minneapolis. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Another jerk-off griz fan noted. Can't you people ever take a joke? Jesus Christ, it's like dealing with 3-year olds all the time. And you are a hypocrite for saying something about hijacking threads when you say what you just did at the end of your post.
And it's funny how you missed that the change of topic was started by an NDSU fan.

Try :D next time. xthumbsupx

Grizo406
April 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM

Your prediction could very well happen, CatFan, but I predict that it doesn't.;)

Fresno St. Alum
April 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I picked Montana as my preseason #1, I think they take the title this year. xthumbsupx

CatFan22
April 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Try :D next time. xthumbsupx

I used a smile and a thumbs up. That should be perfectly fine.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I used a smile and a thumbs up. That should be perfectly fine.

It's all about sentence structure. Those were BEFORE the joke, not after. xthumbsupx :D

We learn ENGLISH at the University of Montana. :D ;)

Ronbo
April 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The offense racked up that many yards!?!?!?!?!?!? That is good for the O, but NOT so good for the D (that is supposed to be so good, even in a Bobcat's opinion).

Actually I would say it's really bad news for the Big Sky as our Defense returns almost everyone. The 2006 Defense held opponents to 266 yards and 16 points a game. We should be even better Defensively this year with 8 starters back. If the Offense can put up those numbers with 4 starters out (Hilliard, Quinn, Chambers, and Bagley) on our Defense it indicates that they could be really good this year. One fan over at eGriz said "unstoppable". But of course that's a bold statement.

catbob
April 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
If the Cat offense put up big numbers against our D this spring, I'm not exactly sure how I would take it. The Griz had a very good defense last year, and the Griz offense was pretty good too.

But I would be a little concerned that your defense, known for creating turnovers, did not pick off a single pass in 3 scrimmages. Also they gave up 6.4 yards per play and 350 yards per game, with a few starters injured. There is certainly a couple ways to look at this - that you have great depth on offense and don't drop off at any position. Or, alternatively, your defense lost a step. I would be a little concerned for my defense, but I would be very happy with my offense.

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
If the Cat offense put up big numbers against our D this spring, I'm not exactly sure how I would take it. The Griz had a very good defense last year, and the Griz offense was pretty good too.

But I would be a little concerned that your defense, known for creating turnovers, did not pick off a single pass in 3 scrimmages. Also they gave up 6.4 yards per play and 350 yards per game, with a few starters injured. There is certainly a couple ways to look at this - that you have great depth on offense and don't drop off at any position. Or, alternatively, your defense lost a step. I would be a little concerned for my defense, but I would be very happy with my offense.

And that's EXACTLY how I look at this. xcoolx

Peems
April 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM

it was over the course of all the scrimmages and 164 plays which equals 6.4 per play. still rather high though

Tod
April 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM

But we all know the old adage, the best defense is a good offense. xnodx

Tod
April 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Actually I would say it's really bad news for the Big Sky as our Defense returns almost everyone. The 2006 Defense held opponents to 266 yards and 16 points a game. We should be even better Defensively this year with 8 starters back. If the Offense can put up those numbers with 4 starters out (Hilliard, Quinn, Chambers, and Bagley) on our Defense it indicates that they could be really good this year. One fan over at eGriz said "unstoppable". But of course that's a bold statement.

Admit it, Ronbo, that fan was you, wasn't it? :D :D ;)

Craig Ochs, speaking of the Griz QBs in today's Missoulian:

"...Fortunately for them they're going to have the best running back in the country behind them, they're going to have a great O-line, they're going to have the receivers and one of the best defenses..."

Hope Craig's right! :) :) :)

GannonFan
April 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Not trying to revive the old knock on the Big Sky, but with Montana having what they have this year, is there any real credible challenge for them with regards to winning the conference?

Ronbo
April 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Montana State returns a ton of starters but lost some real key defensive players and their best recievers. Portland State should be really good and we're hearing some real crowing coming form Portland. Both teams could crack the top 10.

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Not trying to revive the old knock on the Big Sky, but with Montana having what they have this year, is there any real credible challenge for them with regards to winning the conference?

Yes, you are. xcoffeex 89Hen put you up to that, didn't he? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx :D

TulsaBobcat
April 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM

No, every other team is horrible and the Griz will dominate; most likely out-scoring all opponents by a total of 800-0.

xrolleyesx

The problem with AGS: Tons of Grizzly propaganda posted nearly every day and a large amount of Griz "nut-riders". :D

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM
it was over the course of all the scrimmages and 164 plays which equals 6.4 per play. still rather high though

I knew that, I guess I just wasn't very eloquent about it. But yeah, 6.4 per play?xeekx That would raise my eyebrows a bit.

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Montana State returns a ton of starters but lost some real key defensive players and their best recievers. Portland State should be really good and we're hearing some real crowing coming form Portland. Both teams could crack the top 10.

I would say that the receiver problem is more dire than the defensive personnel situation. Kramer gave his younger players experience in playing time that will help them take the spots of departed seniors. I'm referring to Reyshawn Bobo, Bobby Daly (who hits just as hard as Ryan Force did), Kevin Retoriano (big interception in the WSU game), and Epi King. These guys have plenty of talent and speed, AND the experience.

The WR situation isn't too bad either. There are some returning players that show promise, but don't have as much experience. Tyler Lulay, Derek Green, Deon Tolliver, et al. Kramer does seem to find one or two outstanding WR's each year, so who knows what will happen.

GOKATS
April 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Well, some of us have an established QB or two- following the griz final scrimmage I think their qb position is pretty much up in the air. Might have something to do with the final outcome.xnodx :D

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM

"...Fortunately for them they're going to have the best running back in the country behind them, they're going to have a great O-line, they're going to have the receivers and one of the best defenses..."

WWWWHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

mtgrizfan4life
April 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Craig already sounds like a seasoned professional. Bonus points earned with this GRIZ fan, "creating a positive and confident environment for his QB's and support of the whole team! " xthumbsupx
I love coaches, managers, bosses that build a strong foundation. IMHO, OCHS just formed the foundation very stongly. GREAT start to build on!

mtgrizfan4life
April 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM

What is wrong with OCHS statement? Many FCS followers or experts would agree LEX has the makings of being the top FCS back, providing he returns from injury without complications. Added plus is Coleman, Fletcher, and Bradshaw are here to share RB burden while LEX gets back to 100%. Also it allows for the GRIZ to keep him fresher for a playoff run, leading to a NC!!!!! xthumbsupx

Honestly what is so extreme/wrong with Ochs statement? He is not stretching it to extreme.

Tod
April 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I don't think that's out of line for a coach to say if they have someone with the skill of Lex Hilliard. Now if he said we had the best QB in the country, I'd understand your reaction.

GOKATS
April 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
What is wrong with OCHS statement? Many FCS followers or experts would agree LEX has the makings of being the top FCS back, providing he returns from injury without complications. Added plus is Coleman, Fletcher, and Bradshaw are here to share RB burden while LEX gets back to 100%. Also it allows for the GRIZ to keep him fresher for a playoff run, leading to a NC!!!!! xthumbsupx

Honestly what is so extreme/wrong with Ochs statement? He is not stretching it to extreme.

This is standard language for a position coach to say when there might be questions about the position (QB).

Otherwise stated, "We hope you can take a snap and either hand the ball off or pass the ball w/o screwing up big time. If you do screw up, hopefully the 'D' will keep us in the game.:D

Seriously, the griz are always in the hunt, and the QB situation will be worked out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Selle in front come fall.

mtgrizfan4life
April 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Being I am reading a GRIZ thread while watching WWE, "anyone else think Maria is HOT! DAMN!
Back to the griz, good post GOKATS

mlbowl
April 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

This is standard language for a position coach to say when there might be questions about the position (QB).

Otherwise stated, "We hope you can take a snap and either hand the ball off or pass the ball w/o screwing up big time. If you do screw up, hopefully the 'D' will keep us in the game.:D

Agreed...although, I think we'll be fine at QB

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think that's out of line for a coach to say if they have someone with the skill of Lex Hilliard. Now if he said we had the best QB in the country, I'd understand your reaction.

I disagree. Lex is good, and was good when he was HEALTHY two seasons ago. We have yet to see him in an actual game, so to say he is the best is a bit excessive.

Peems
April 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Seriously, the griz are always in the hunt, and the QB situation will be worked out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Selle in front come fall.

From what I've heard the coaches are real high on Selle, but I think it would be an idiotic move to start him for one reason: our offense. No quarterback, and I mean not a single one has come into this offense and done great, so what makes them think redshirt freshman andrew selle would do better. I think down the road he could be a great, but Cole will have been here 4 years now and knows the offense better than the rest, give him the two years and then bring in Selle.

Proud Griz Man
April 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I disagree. Lex is good, and was good when he was HEALTHY two seasons ago. We have yet to see him in an actual game, so to say he is the best is a bit excessive.

The same could be said for Mason, Groves or anyone coming off an injury, right? Keep in mind when UM played against MSU on 11/18/06, Lex Hilliard was already healing from surgery and well into his Reb work. Mason and Groves didn't start their rehab until December. xcoffeex

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The same could be said for Mason, Groves or anyone coming off an injury, right? Keep in mind when UM played against MSU on 11/18/06, Lex Hilliard was already healing from surgery and well into his Reb work. Mason and Groves didn't start their rehab until December. xcoffeex

But nobody came out and said that they were the best running back(s) in the country did they? No, because they're not. You can throw numbers around and look at recovery time, but playing time is what everyone sees, and until we all see Lex slay the playing field, I will stick to my guns. He ain't the best yet. But am I still scared of him? Yes, especially if he has two fine backups waiting on the sidelines.

Peems
April 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM
make it three fine backups xnodx

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
make it three fine backups xnodx

Yeah yeah, whatever. You still have to play in OUR house this year.xsmiley_wix

OB55
April 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Being in the MSU viewing area, I watched a lot of Bobcat games. The best running back I saw during those telecasts was by far......Danny Woodhead of Chadron State.

CrazyCat
April 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Was that kid a stud or what. xbawlingx

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Was that kid a stud or what. xbawlingx

I have never been so frustrated by any player on an opposing team as that kid. We couldn't stop him to save our life. Makes me wonder what would have happened if that kid would have gone up against another respected FCS team.

GOKATS
April 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I have never been so frustrated by any player on an opposing team as that kid. We couldn't stop him to save our life. Makes me wonder what would have happened if that kid would have gone up against another respected FCS team.

Noone else could stop him either- incredible athlete!

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Noone else could stop him either- incredible athlete!

Makes me wonder why he played for a dinky little D-II school instead of at least FCS or even an FBS school. I heard someone say he started at Nebraska but transfered out. Wow, they missed out.

CrazyCat
April 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry for stealing this thread but this guy was awesome.

http://www.durangoherald.com/sports/06/images/sports061015_2a.jpg

http://www.cornnation.com/story/2006/12/13/223034/52

CrazyCat
April 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/9_2005/lex_gt.jpg

CrunchGriz
April 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/9_2005/lex_gt.jpg

Danny Woodhead is definitely a freak (he set the NCAA all-classifications season rushing record last year with 2756 yards), but this photo warms my heart. LH may not break any national records this coming season, but if he stays healthy he will definitely break a few opponents' hearts.

I'm d--mn glad he's wearing maroon and silver and not blue and gold, that's for sure.

CrazyCat
April 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I"ll take this guy

https://secure.pocatelloshops.com/photos/archive/2006-10-22/fbisu-montanastate1.jpg

Grizo406
April 18th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I"ll take this guy

https://secure.pocatelloshops.com/photos/archive/2006-10-22/fbisu-montanastate1.jpg

Good choice, CC, but like CrunchGriz, I'll take:
http://www.missoulian.com/content/articles/2006/08/15/web/websports/ws45.jpg

catbob
April 18th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Is it football season yet? :(

April 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Is it football season yet? :(less than 130 days!

and thanks 'Cats fans for not taking the smack so far that we can't keep threads in discussion!

Peems
April 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
we cat and griz fans know when we need to tone it down ralph xsmiley_wix

CopperCat
April 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
we cat and griz fans know when we need to tone it down ralph xsmiley_wix

Not all of us do.xlolx

DaGriz
April 19th, 2007, 12:15 AM
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2005_2006_an/Photos/2005_2006_Gr/Football/lex_hilliard11.jpg

I'm ready for football season.

AZGrizFan
April 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Not all of us do.xlolx

Hello pot. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx :D :D :D

Tod
April 19th, 2007, 02:00 AM
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2005_2006_an/Photos/2005_2006_Gr/Football/lex_hilliard11.jpg

I'm ready for football season.

What's the band looking at? :p :p :p

CrunchGriz
April 19th, 2007, 02:23 AM

Probably some hapless DB that Lex has just plowed into the turf upfield.

OB55
April 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Haven't been back on here for a few days, but I have a confession, my son played for Chadron State. He was a senior last fall, and I went to the game in Bozeman, a three hour drive for us. Woodhead was passed over by Nebraska and Colorado, but invited to walk on at both places. He was also recruited to play basketball at Kansas State, he is an incredible BB player also. His dad and older brother played at Chadron, so that is where he went. I watched him play live over 30 times traveling to watch my son play. This fall, Chadron plays at Northern Colorado, where I played 30 years ago. I will go to watch that game. I watched recorded telecasts of MSU all season long and love the way Kramer got their heads out and finished the season. Kramer is cool in my book. BTW, I also in my career got to play against Montana twice, once in Greeley (we won) and once at Dornblazer (we lost) :)
Here is a great shot of Woodhead VS. MSU, check the legs on this guy;
http://www2.csc.edu/athletics/news/images/Danny_runs251_lowres.jpg

GOKATS
April 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM

The 'real' Superman doing a flyover!xsmiley_wix xlolx xlolx

Kabooom
April 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
TYPICAL.........Griz threads......turn into......MSU Flies....attracted to Griz Cowpies.........