PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth spring offensive preview (long)!!!

JMG1MON
April 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
From Mu's website:

MONMOUTH FOOTBALL SPRING PRACTICE: OFFENSIVE PREVIEW

With a handful of spring practices in the books already, Monmouth has already begun to put together the building blocks for a run at their fourth Northeast Conference title in five years. Last season the offense ranked second in the NEC in total offense (353.58 ypg), passing offense (200.75 ypg) and scoring offense (23.38 ppg). Below is a position by position breakdown of the players competing in the spring:

“Spring practice is about developing our players, improving technique and establishing depth in all positions,” said head coach Kevin Callahan. “Offensively, although we graduate some key players, we should be very strong. Obviously, we will need to replace a four-year starter at quarterback, but with All NEC performers in almost every position (OL, TE, RB, WR) we should be poised to exceed last year’s accomplishments.”

Quarterback: Replacing All-NEC quarterback and four-year starter Brian Boland will not be easy but the Hawks have a solid group of returning players who are competing for the job. Junior Brett Burke (Wall, N.J./Wall) has showed early promise in the spring, demonstrating a strong knowledge of the offense and a powerful arm. Burke was six-for-10 in passing last season with 56 yards behind iron-man Boland.

Transfer Matt Fullam (Wayne, N.J./Depaul Catholic) comes to the Hawks from Fordham and is still learning the offense. He played in 10 games under center for the Rams, giving him valuable game experience at the Football Championship Series level (formally I-AA) which will makes him an immediate candidate for the starting spot.

Sophomore Andrew Mandeville (Hazlet, N.J./Raritan) is recovering from an off-season surgery, so his main focus in the spring will be to get healthy. Mandeville is extremely talented athlete and possesses good football knowledge which will also put him in the mix for quarterback.

Junior Kyle Brandon (Neptune, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) has been under the system for three years now and his consistency under center will have him competing for a starting or back up roll. Redshirt freshman Ryan Folsom (Somerdale, N.J./Triton Regional) has been throwing the ball well in the off season as he continues to get better at learning to play the position in the offense.

Running Back: Despite losing three senior running backs, the Hawks will once again feature one of the conferences’ most talented backfields. NEC Offensive Rookie of the Year David Sinisi (Cedar Grove, N.J./Cedar Grove) returns for his sophomore season, one year after leading the Blue & White in rushing yards and touchdowns. The shifty tailback was the only player in the FCS last season to score a touchdown in every game, finishing with 14 total scores. The all-purpose back also excels at pass blocking and can catch passes out of the backfield.

Ryan Skorupka (Sparta, N.J./Sparta), who is having a productive spring, looks to compete for carries after averaging 5.9 yards per carry last season with a touchdown. Junior Marion Easley (Somerville, N.J./Somerville) returns as the starting fullback for the Hawks. Easley is a physical back who is solid at the point of attack especially on the goal line. A standout thrower for Monmouth’s track team, Easley will not be participating in spring ball but is still involved in meetings. Bobby Giles (Burlington, N.J./Burlington) is pound-for-pound Monmouth’s fastest back and is looking to contribute in the spring after redshirting last fall. Redshirt freshman Josh Halladay (Broomall, Pa./Archbishop Carroll) will back up Easley and is rehabbing after missing all of the fall with an injury.

Wide Receiver: Senior Adam San Miguel (North Bergen, N.J./St. Peter’s Prep) returns for his final season as one of the nation’s elite receivers. Last year the speedster proved to be a big play threat while leading the Hawks in receptions with a record setting 73 catches. Junior Chris Kiley (Point Pleasant, N.J./Pt. Boro) looks to be another go-to-receiver for the Hawks after having a good year in 2006. The Ocean County, N.J., native has been a model of consistency for the Blue & White which has him competing for a starting job this year. Junior Steve Dowens (Middletown South) was injured early in the spring but has been a solid contributor in the few practices he has been involved in. Fellow third-year player Ron Lauch (Wall, N.J./Wall) provides a big target for the MU quarterbacks and could get some playing time in the fall depending on his spring and preseason performances.

One player who has had a solid spring to date is redshirt freshman Nick Romeo (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills). Romeo has been working his way in with the first and should contribute quite a bit to the offense. Redshirt freshman Brian Callahan (Congers, N.Y./Don Bosco Prep) continues to show improvement as he rehabs from an ankle injury. The 6-3 receiver has had glimpses of promise in the spring as he continues to pick up the offense.

Junior Korey Yngstrom (Freehold, N.J./Freehold Twp) is a player who does everything asked of him by the coaching staff. The Freehold, N.J., native will help bring a veteran presence to a group of young receivers. After sitting out all of last season with an injury Brendan Mellen (Easton, Conn./Redding Joel Barlow) has been taking non-contact reps in the spring to come back from that setback. Tom Bingham, David Moreno (North Bergen, N.J./North Bergen), Ryan Veselsky (Harrington Park, N.J./Old Tappan) and Brandon Wood (Villas, N.J./Lower Cape May Regional), will add depth to the MU receiving corps.

Offensive Line: The Hawks return three of five starting offensive linemen from a unit who gave up just 13 sacks in 12 games last season. MU returns three starters on the offensive line including First Team All-Northeast Conference selection Jon Dunn (Blackwood, N.J./Washington Twp.), senior Nick LoCastro (Wenonah, N.J./Gateway Regional) and Bob Skellenger (Ocean City, N.J./Ocean City). Freshman Shawn Wright (Fort Washington, Md./DeMatha) played a bit last season before suffering an injury from which he has fully recovered. The Fort Washington, Md., native will compete for a starting spot along with Junior Andrew Musick (Ewing, N.J./Ewing). Musick, Wright and Skellenger have all been taking snaps at center but the latter two could also land at another spot along the offensive line. Junior Kevin Sterling (Marlton, N.J./Cherokee) has moved from tight end to offensive line and is picking up his new responsibilities quickly. Sterling, who is excited about his transition to the trenches, will compete for a starting spot at tackle during the spring session. Sophomore Derek Rosinski (Tonawanda, N.Y./Tonawanda), who saw time in special teams and as a backup in his freshman campaign, could potentially step into a starting role this fall.

Redshirt freshman Joe Hurley (Medford Lakes, N.J./Shawnee) has made strides during his first season and has improved his technique a bit since coming to West Long Branch. Offensive line coach Brian Gabriel will also have junior Joe Stodolak (Roselle Park, N.J./Roselle Park), redshirt freshmen Nick Bibbo (Freehold, N.J./Colts Neck), Jon Blaydes (Barnaget, N.J./Southern) and Bryan Tiscia (Marlboro, N.J./Marlboro) and senior-transfer Jarrett Osborne-Revis (Oak Ridge, Tenn./Knoxville Cathloic) competing for positions during the spring season. A spring injury to Bibbo will hold off his ability to compete with the group until summer camp.

Tight End: John Nalbone (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence) and Brian Frech (West Long Branch, N.J./Shore Regional) are the two tight ends listed on the roster with Sterling moving over to offensive line. Nalbone started every game in 2006, earning his second straight Second Team All-Northeast Conference honor after catching 19 passes for 198 yards. Frech, a senior should see action in a back-up role and in two tight end sets.

The Hawks' Blue & White game is set for Sunday, April 22 at 12 p.m. Check www.GoMUHawks.com for a preview of the defense and special teams early next week.

GannonFan
April 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks!!! If you have a defensive preview I'd be interested in that too!xthumbsupx

HensRock
April 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
We hope to get lots of Monmouth fans to Newark on Sept 29.
BTW, the game will be a 7PM start (gomuhawks.com stills shows the time as TBA)

Come and soak in the atmosphere. Then, be sure to let all the AGS'ers out there know what a great experience it was! xnodx xthumbsupx

PapaBear
April 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Nice writeup.

So, here's an interesting sidebar to the game: When you guys visit the Maine Black Bears in Orono on 9/1, the game will feature opposing QBs, both of whom are first-time starters who have replaced four-year starters.

I'll also be curious how your UMaine transfer, Rodney Salomon, figures into the mix at WR.

Will you be at the game?

Pard4Life
April 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
"Transfer Matt Fullam (Wayne, N.J./Depaul Catholic) comes to the Hawks from Fordham and is still learning the offense. "

Hmm... I did not know you had a Fordham transfer there... guess he saw the light when MU beat FU xlolx

Not a bad transfer for him... I don't think Skelton is going to lose the starting Rams job, and they have a few new guys coming in that will likely get looks...

Pard4Life
April 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Nice writeup.

So, here's an interesting sidebar to the game: When you guys visit the Maine Black Bears in Orono on 9/1, the game will feature opposing QBs, both of whom are first-time starters who have replaced four-year starters.

I'll also be curious how your UMaine transfer, Rodney Salomon, figures into the mix at WR.

Will you be at the game?

Pards were supposed to be in that same scenario too.. we had Monmouth tentatively scheduled... but it did not work out... we play Marist instead.. xcoolx .... this is really our only 'gimme' game of 2007 though..

JMG1MON
April 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks!!! If you have a defensive preview I'd be interested in that too!xthumbsupx

Website says that and special teams will be up next week, although I have a feeling specials will change a bit once the freshman get in (we have 2 or 3 kickers coming in for the fall).

I highly doubt I will get up to Orono, but I am thinking about it!! Better chance I can get to the Delaware game.

Is Fullam eligible this season?? I thought you had to sit out a year before you can be eligible. Don't think he was here last season!

GannonFan
April 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Website says that and special teams will be up next week, although I have a feeling specials will change a bit once the freshman get in (we have 2 or 3 kickers coming in for the fall).

I highly doubt I will get up to Orono, but I am thinking about it!! Better chance I can get to the Delaware game.

Is Fullam eligible this season?? I thought you had to sit out a year before you can be eligible. Don't think he was here last season!

No offense to our Maine brethren, but if you had a choice between a game in Newark or a game in Orono, it'd be silly to choose the latter, and I actually like Maine's facilities as well as the scenery. When you have a chance to go to one of the FCS's "Mecca's" (Montana, Delaware, McNeese, Youngstown - maybe a few others) you have to go. xthumbsupx

JMG1MON
April 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I have seen Delaware's stadium. I looked at Delaware when college searching!!

GannonFan
April 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I have seen Delaware's stadium. I looked at Delaware when college searching!!

Seeing it on gameday is a vastly different experience. xthumbsupx

PapaBear
April 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
No offense to our Maine brethren, but if you had a choice between a game in Newark or a game in Orono, it'd be silly to choose the latter, and I actually like Maine's facilities as well as the scenery. When you have a chance to go to one of the FCS's "Mecca's" (Montana, Delaware, McNeese, Youngstown - maybe a few others) you have to go. xthumbsupx

No offense taken. UD's facilities are spectacular and I'm looking forward to our game there next year.

(Truth be told, tho ... your location leaves a lot to be desired. Newark ain't exactly God's Country.)

GannonFan
April 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
No offense taken. UD's facilities are spectacular and I'm looking forward to our game there next year.

(Truth be told, tho ... your location leaves a lot to be desired. Newark ain't exactly God's Country.)

Hey, I'm a Bar Harbor afficianado and I even enjoyed a gorgeous car ride down through Maine all the way from Quebec City. Nothing bad to say about Maine's scenery. Newark does have the advantage of being much closer to civilization (Philly, if that can be called civilized xlolx , and Baltimore) but of course that comes with the tradeoff of scenery. xnodx