PDA

View Full Version : Hampton's Major Pub in The Washington Post

HIU 93
April 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/12/AR2007041202274.html

Good article

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
looks like a great article but unfortunately it looks like it is about the five pro prospects... it would be nice to see some articles about the school itself or the fcs ranks ingeneral... IMO

DFW HOYA
April 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM
... it would be nice to see some articles about the school itself or the fcs ranks ingeneral... IMO

Don't count on it. The Post has largely walked away from covering the city's actual teams, Howard and Georgetown, in favor of covering its new favorite team, Virginia Tech, located 265 miles from DC but with plenty of potential subscribers in the Post's distribution area.

HIU 93
April 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Don't count on it. The Post has largely walked away from covering the city's actual teams, Howard and Georgetown, in favor of covering its new favorite team, Virginia Tech, located 265 miles from DC but with plenty of potential subscribers in the Post's distribution area.

..and a huge alumni base in DC. You are absolutely correct about that one good sir.

AZGrizFan
April 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Yeah, cuz we all know Georgetown ain't good at anything.... xcoolx xeyebrowx

Cobblestone
April 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Mother knows best. It's a good thing Mrs. Jones opened her son's letter.

HIU 93
April 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, cuz we all know Georgetown ain't good at anything.... xcoolx xeyebrowx

He's talking about covering GU Football, which the post does a piss poor job of doing. They don't cover Howard at all. If John Thompson didn't talk about Howard and HBCUs once in a blue moon on his radio station, there would be no coverage at all by the mainstream media here in DC.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
He's talking about covering GU Football, which the post does a piss poor job of doing. They don't cover Howard at all. If John Thompson didn't talk about Howard and HBCUs once in a blue moon on his radio station, there would be no coverage at all by the mainstream media here in DC.

That sounds like us down here in Houston, if it wasn't for our former president and CFO, we'd never get any ink in the Houston Chronicle.

ASU
April 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/12/AR2007041202274.html

Good article

Hampton deserves much better coverage. They have a well established
FCS football program that gets some qualify players. If the FBS crowd at
the newspaper could never write about them, they would be happy. The
FBS schools want to control all the college football money and coverage.
That is why this ridiculous system of 1-A and 1-AA was created. The big schools finding a way to take ALL the attention , All the Money, All the accolades, and set themselves up as "the Big Boys"....Making people believe that their schools are better....setting up a CLASS Difference, just like was done in India or many other countries. This should NEVER have been allowed to happen. All colleges and universities need to unite to take back their own destinys....before it is too late! The differences in the football Classifications should be abolished at once.

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Virginia Tech is so far away and I understand the alumni base but that seems absurd to go that far away but i guess if it sells papers then that is what they have got to do

Seawolf97
April 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I feel your pain. Long Island has two FCS teams and alot of negative coverage in the local papers (Mr. Marcus). TV and radio play to the New York market and dont cover very much college football. If Rutgers didnt make run for a bowl bid last year you wouldnt have heard anything about football. Chad Pennington gets the sniffles its a hot item.xoopsx

R.A.
April 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM
The article was front page center in the sports section... pretty big deal.

G.S.Green
April 15th, 2007, 02:56 AM
While true that the FBS schools do tend to think of themselves as far superior to lower division schools, they can’t dominate the media all by themselves. Everyone seeking to make a buck is all over this because they know if they can create a brand, you can get the common man to spend his money for a logo laden product and complete the circle of cash as it moves from hands of the masses to the hands of the masters. The potential transference of wealth makes this very appealing to those in the business community and that is why the system works.

G.S.Green

April 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Why do the Hampton players themselves think they are a lower division? Durant said something that he didn't play D-I ball? Damn!!!!!!!!! FBS and FCS are in THE SAME DIVISION!

R.A.
April 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Why do the Hampton players themselves think they are a lower division? Durant said something that he didn't play D-I ball? Damn!!!!!!!!! FBS and FCS are in THE SAME DIVISION!

It still kinda stings for HBCU football fans to know the type of talent Hampton had these past couple years, and they couldn't seem to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs xnonono2x... but the conference appears too be getting stronger, and that's a huge plus for us.

I am expecting two playoff teams this season from the MEAC.

aust42
April 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM
The Washington Post is a very liberal newspaper and has a VERY poor sports section in general. Seems to be more of a liberal editorial newspaper as opposed to unbiased factual information and news.

aust42
April 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM

Because they are in a lower division, otherwise there wouldn't be the classification's FBS & FCS.

DFW HOYA
April 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
The Washington Post is a very liberal newspaper and has a VERY poor sports section in general. Seems to be more of a liberal editorial newspaper as opposed to unbiased factual information and news.

The Washington Times is a very conservative newspaper and gives I-AA schools even less coverage. You can go an entire season and see no Georgetown or Howard football coverage.

R.A.
April 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
The Washington Times is a very conservative newspaper and gives I-AA schools even less coverage. You can go an entire season and see no Georgetown or Howard football coverage.

That's right!! The Times doesn't even put anything in the paper about the area high schools regarding sports. So I guess ESPN is also a liberal sports channel because they broadcast high school games too.

I hate reading the Times.